Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: The Finale

• Start Topic

I think Laurence has some not-great pieces, but I also think that her best looks were better than Bishme’s best looks.

I think Brittany did a great job but it just wasn’t high fashiony enough.  It’s was like she was in a different category.

• Like 22
14 minutes ago, Lassus said:

I would like to take a minute to complain like an old person about the direction of this finale.  Too fast, too many cuts, not enough gravity.

The models didn't seem to be walking to the beat of the music that was played which made a few look like bad walkers.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Except for the “anxiety dress,” I didn’t care for any of the plastic/latex/shiny-leather-or-faux-leather garments.  

I love seeing Brittany’s husband hugging Bishme’s mom!

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 18
  • Love 6

No surprise. Good for you Bishme. His Mom! I liked how they had the families and other designers on stage. Some of those designers I had forgotten about already. 
Laurence’s son is her twin. 
I hope we don’t have a very long wait until the next season. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

I’m really happy Bishme won. I liked all the collections, though, but liked his best. 
I have a dumb question. Why were they sending them for hair and makeup when the designers were still sewing for two more days?  Was the timeline so mixed up?  

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

Nobody loves Mimi like Mimi does lol but she can have that crown cuz she's fabulous!

I wonder if Mimi struts down the streets of NY all the time - it seems as if she doesn't know how to walk normally.  

Mimi is a fabulous runway model, but you're spot on with the fact that she is very much in love with herself - unabashedly so!!! 

• Like 10
8 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Bisme had some great looks but his collection was not cohesive. I did like most of Laurence looks especially the ones with the sheer skirts. This finale bothered me a bit because it seemed like Bisme would win no matter what and this season seemed to be more about mentoring a young talent which meant people like Kortoe, Rami and Kara Saun had no chance. I was curious about Brandon not being there but I assume only Elaine matters now so maybe he thought he wasn’t needed. 

I'm happy for Bishme, but totally agree with your comment (bolded).  Even Laurance didn't stand a chance - she is 48 years old.

I'd like to know WHY Brandon didn't show.  

Bishme's collection was nice, but the entire collection did not wow me.  I loved the red and white coat and dress and the final gown was stunning.  The model who wore it was amazing, as well.

I want to get a hug from Bishme's Mom - she looks like an amazing hugger!!  

• Like 21
17 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

There were only three looks that I didn’T care for.

The pink spandex tube dress, too simple and seemed like filler.

The green jacket/skirt combo. Too simple and blah.

The purple jacket/pant combo. Material and fit was bad.

I agree - that purple suit was Christian's suggestion, but I don't think that was Laurance's choice of what to do with that fabric.  I felt like that was a throw-away to appease Christian and to come up with an 8th piece to the collection.  It didn't look like Laurance's point of view - it actually looked like KaraSaun's POV, without feathers and embellishments.

• Like 10

I think the purple suit lost it for Laurence, as well as maybe the green outfit on the plus sized model. The CFDA guy asked her to show range beyond just leather. I’m sure his comments were given to the judges since they were providing the prize. When she didn’t deliver that had to count against her. 
I’m happy for Bishme. I would totally wear the two piece outfit that had a black off the shoulder top and knit skirt. I think he can do both couture and ready to wear. 

• Like 7

Man, I haven't watched a full season of PR in a minute. When did they lose the interval away with the home visits? That was the best part! Tim Gunn (or in this case Christian) having to go to Podunk USA to meet with the hoi polloi? What a let down!

Anyway, congrats Bishme. I have no strong feelings about this.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4

Mimi FTW! 

Oh, right. The designers.

So how could Laurence not have planned her collection ages ago? I didn't see "the dark side of Paris." 

I really liked Brittany's  collection---for what it was. I could see Kim K in one piece, her sister Kendall in another. But popular or not, Active Wear doesn't strike me as Haute Couture.

Bishme had a cohesive collection, one with a theme that was carried by the styles and colors. Dollars to doughnuts says that the silhouette as the gown's bodice was of his sister. 

Bishme deserved the win, IMO!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, CherryMalotte said:

I wonder if Rami did a decoy collection.  I'd like to see that.

Perhaps, maybe that’s why he wasn’t one of the helpers of the final 3. But would they really need one in this situation? They didn’t have months to plan and didn’t show at Fasion Week? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6
7 hours ago, lovesnark said:

I wish they would auf Elaine  and have Zac take her place? 

Yes, as a judge, Elaine doesn't add much. She mostly laps up the sob stories. Brandon seems to be over it. There has to be one judge that's a designer who can critique the looks not the backstories.

Ever notice once a designer makes it big, they start designing the same normal looks you've seen before? I love Christian and he's done great work for the non size zero celebrities, but a lot of his dresses we saw would've been called out on the show as 'we've seen it before.'  I guess you have to be super unique to make it. Then, you can relax and do less flamboyant dresses and mostly normal pants (other than skinny is in or bell bottoms are in etc)

• Like 7
10 hours ago, T Summer said:

The mentorship is meant for a young designer?

and that's why Bishme was set to win from day 1?

Brittany and Bishme are exactly the same age. 32.

The CFDA guy talked about branding, merchandising, and the like. The older designers already had these things established. Not that they couldn't have used the help, but this sounded like a program planned for someone getting started in the industry.

Brittany doesn't do couture. As much as the judges loved her work, and she is good, the show wants to be part of the couture, fashion is art mystique. The finale was as good as it was going to get for her.

10 hours ago, allirish47 said:

As long as it's minus Elaine!

If it were up to me, it would be minus all of them. I wanted to slap Nina last week when she asked to see a fun, laughing Laurence. Nina has been sour for 19 years. Suddenly she became kind and tolerant, so it was fine for her to be critical of someone as sour as she was. Nope. Elaine is an intelligent woman who acts like an ass. Brandon can be amusing sometimes, but mostly he's just kind of bitchy. And his little anus-shaped mouth is kind of creepy.

It would be nice to have a whole new spin on judging. They want this show to be about fashion as art, so one judge should be an actual artist, someone who knows about color theory, proportion, and so on. Another judge would be someone who currently does garment construction, not someone who used to do it before he became famous, so maybe the supervisor of a designer's workroom. The third would be a fashion event planner, someone who knows how garments should look walking down the runway, in various lights, that sort of thing. Then they could have as guests all the stupid people whose only contribution to the judging would be "I'd wear that" and we could safely ignore them.

Edited by Passing Strange
Corrected CDFA typo.
  • Like 16
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3

After digesting this all, I think that the finale show was a bit of a letdown.  As mentioned above - the designers were only given 8 days to create an 8 piece collection, and all done in the confines of the show workspace.  That's a lot of pressure and personally, I miss the "at home" visits and critiques.

The final collections - none of them completely blew me away.  I liked certain pieces from each collection and disliked others.  Overall, I was about 50/50 on each collection.

Brittany's was street/athletic wear, but I can't really see people wearing a lot of it while working out or while walking around city streets.  The garter things on so many garments were distracting and would create a safety issue around gym equipment as well as walking around.  Could you imagine riding the subway?  Unfortunately, the garters are open invitation to crime/assault, or even getting caught in the train doors or turnstiles.

My issue with Bishme's collection was the hats.  I knew he would include the hats since they got such high praise during the season, but the attached veils reminded me of a nun who was trying to be cool and modern, while still wearing her habit and headwear.  Again, I don't think they would translate well into ready to wear (maybe they aren't supposed to?)  My 3 year old  granddaughter also often takes scarves and tucks them into hats to pretend some type of bride play - the hats were also reminiscent of that.

Laurance's issue, for me, is that she really does not design anything for anyone that is not 20-30 yrs. old, 5'11" and 110 lbs.  Most of garments are gorgeous, but would not translate well into ready to wear for the average person.  The purple suit showed that.  Also, there was another piece with those cone things on the bodice - is that a thing in fashion now?  Unless they are fitted exactly, that is not going to look good on the average person.  And even then, that look is horrible, as evidenced by the model.

All in all, most of knew that this was going to be Bishme's win, so I'm glad that worked out for him and wish him success.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, T Summer said:

The mentorship is meant for a young designer?

and that's why Bishme was set to win from day 1?

My opinion is that both are true, though the second not because of the first.

28 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

The CDFA guy talked about branding, merchandising, and the like. The older designers already had these things established. Not that they couldn't have used the help, but this sounded like a program planned for someone getting started in the industry.

Exactly. It seems like someone from the CDFA should be on the finale judging panel. After all, they'll be the ones spending a lot of time with the winner, possibly more than PR itself did.

7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

When did they lose the interval away with the home visits? That was the best part! Tim Gunn (or in this case Christian) having to go to Podunk USA to meet with the hoi polloi? What a let down!

I don't remember exactly when they stopped doing this, though I'm pretty sure I remember Christian doing it as mentor at least once. Sadly, like so much else, I think it fell victim to budget cuts.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Lassus said:

Mimi is not a new model, this has been what, her 4th or 5th season?

We first saw Mimi in Season 17, Sebastian's season. On the first challenge she was the model for Kovid, and she said she was the first transgender model on Project Runway. Kovid was honored.

24 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

My opinion is that both are true, though the second not because of the first.

Exactly. It seems like someone from the CDFA should be on the finale judging panel. After all, they'll be the ones spending a lot of time with the winner, possibly more than PR itself did.

I don't remember exactly when they stopped doing this, though I'm pretty sure I remember Christian doing it as mentor at least once. Sadly, like so much else, I think it fell victim to budget cuts.

I think CoVid had a lot to do with it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, RoseAllDay said:

Just started watching this on DVR, and I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that they had to make looks in days, when the finalists in other seasons had — what? — three months? 

The designers got an assistant, but still. Eight days?

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1

Just chiming in along with many of the posters who miss the former format with the huge runway show at Fashion Week and the extra time needed to prepare.  Those were the days!

This was a difficult finale for me to choose a favorite. They all had beautiful garments, with a few misses.  I wasn't the most impressed by Bishme's, but that final gown may have won it for him.  Gorgeous, from the silhouette on the bodice to the miles of tulle!  (The unique runway did a disservice to the larger trains like this one.  The model had to hold up the gown for most of the way, except for one spot for a pose.)

I loved almost everything Brittany made for her collection, with the exception of the pink tube dress.

I was originally rooting for Laurence, but she had a few looks that didn't meet expectations (purple suit, green outfit, cone bra).  I was disappointed she didn't have a plan or sketches.  She did amaze me with many of her designs, though.  What a talent!

• Like 11
2 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Just chiming in along with many of the posters who miss the former format with the huge runway show at Fashion Week and the extra time needed to prepare.  Those were the days!

This was a difficult finale for me to choose a favorite. They all had beautiful garments, with a few misses.  I wasn't the most impressed by Bishme's, but that final gown may have won it for him.  Gorgeous, from the silhouette on the bodice to the miles of tulle!  (The unique runway did a disservice to the larger trains like this one.  The model had to hold up the gown for most of the way, except for one spot for a pose.)

I loved almost everything Brittany made for her collection, with the exception of the pink tube dress.

I was originally rooting for Laurence, but she had a few looks that didn't meet expectations (purple suit, green outfit, cone bra).  I was disappointed she didn't have a plan or sketches.  She did amaze me with many of her designs, though.  What a talent!

Happy with Bishme…I also would have been happy with Laurence. The tailoring of her pants…wow. Flawless. I thought Bishme’s explanation of his collection was more of the usual existential claptrap, but I got what he intended when I saw it. The man can design gowns.

I’ll give Brittany credit for her collection being mix and match, but there was really nothing there that wowed me. 

Can we please swap out Brandon or Elaine (or both) for Zac Posen or Billy Porter?  And while we’re here, can the judges not be mic’d up during the runway shows? I miss Michael Kors’s sunglasses and poker face. I prefer not to know what they’re thinking.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6