Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, sadie said:

I started out liking this guy and now I just loathe him.

Totally agree. For such a fun enjoyable season, this was quite the downer of an ending. I think Gerry was so desperate to be the nice guy, he went too far in what he said to all three final women. He did Faith and Leslie dirty.  I am glad Leslie didn't pull any punches when she called him a liar - he absolutely was. I think him telling his family that Teresa was the safe choice was the most telling statement of them all. She absolutely was the safe choice. But I guess they belong together - he sounds like Kermit and she looks like a muppet so.......🤷‍♀️

The  most disappointing thing about this episode was that there was no announcement of a Golden Bachelorette. Still hoping it's Susan.....

And take it down a notch or ten Jesse Palmer - Absolutely nothing happened this episode that SHOCKED US TO THE CORE! Well, maybe Leslie in Costa Rica, but us the audience? Nah......

• Like 17
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, sadie said:

I started out liking this guy and now I just loathe him.

I think he’s a bit of a con and I hope Teresa figures it out quickly and dumps him. 

I doubt she is dumping him anytime soon.  Their paid for, live televised wedding is in January!!

• Like 2

Let's face it, there's no way any Bachelor/ette can come out smelling like a rose (snerk) at this point. Anyone who goes into this believing otherwise is a fool. The design is built for humiliation and fuckery and the producers delight in it. They're selling the fallacy that being in a "couple" is the end-all be-all. It is offensive on so many levels.

• Like 9
  • Applause 13
1 hour ago, Cramps said:

So Theresa is not a broker, she’s more support staff. At a high level and she probably makes really good money, but not the kind of money many of us initially thought. And possibly not what Gerry thought. 

Yeah she's more administrative and reviews the portfolio of a mutual fund,  not actually a broker at Goldman Sachs lol.

It's like Gerry being  called a restaurateur and retired to the lake, whereas he sold  a small restaurant  20 years ago and since then is  a maintenace man.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I guess i never “got” leslie. She always to me looked sad and. Miserable. I agree that mopiness and  neediness was a huge issue. Even though theresa  seemed to desparate,I loved her for him

Edited by nlkm9
Errie
  • Like 6
1 hour ago, sauce62 said:

Let's face it, there's no way any Bachelor/ette can come out smelling like a rose (snerk) at this point. Anyone who goes into this believing otherwise is a fool. The design is built for humiliation and fuckery and the producers delight in it. They're selling the fallacy that being in a "couple" is the end-all be-all. It is offensive on so many levels.

"Offensive"? 🧐

Well, now you're  taking on the entire world of romance, indeed, of the human condition, and that goes back a long ways! 

Epics, fables, novels, poems, songs, psalms, fairy-tales, the Age of Chivalry, plays, movies, have I omitted anything? 

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

I guess i never “got” leslie. She always to me looked sad and. Miserable. I agree that mopiness and  neediness was a huge issue. Even though theresa  seemed to desparate,I loved her for him

I found Leslie exhausting and feel that she was the desperate one.  I wouldn't want to be around her for long.  I think Theresa seems like a fun person and that she and Gerry truly connected early on.  The way this show is so totally removed from reality, I can see someone getting caught up in moments and ending up very confused about their feelings.  My guess is that, after spending so much time in the fantasy suite with Leslie's negativity, Theresa felt like a breath of fresh air.

Two things got my attention at the ATFR:  Gerry seemed a lot less "golly gee" and whenever they showed the ladies, my eyes always went to Faith's and Joan's lower lips.  Faith always seems to be pouting and, sorry Joan, but you really need an update and a good haircut.

My hubby's contribution to the "amazing and unbelievable announcement that was going to change the Bachelor franchise forever" (or however they chose to phrase it) was . . . She's pregnant!!!  Made my night. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, Realitystarr said:

Yeah she's more administrative and reviews the portfolio of a mutual fund,  not actually a broker at Goldman Sachs lol.

It's like Gerry being  called a restaurateur and retired to the lake, whereas he sold  a small restaurant  20 years ago and since then is  a maintenace man.

Nothing wrong being a maintenance man. 

• Like 10
7 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I think Theresa is definitely doing okay financially. Her house was massive! I bet it is worth just under $2M. Granted, she probably bought it for a fraction of the price 40 years ago, but she’s managed to pay NJ property taxes for a decade without her husband and hasn’t seen any need to downsize. That’s the thing about working in the stock trade vs just investing your own money in stocks—the bonuses alone are ridiculous. It’s actually difficult to get the approval to put your own money into stocks because of all of the insider trading regulation, so I don’t think there’s much of a risk of her suddenly becoming bankrupt even with market fluctuations. (My husband works on Wall Street on the tech side, not trading, but follows the same regulations.) That being said, i think l there are a lot of reasons why he chose Theresa. Hearing about her job and seeing her home compared to Leslie’s boho lifestyle in a condo was probably one contributing factor to his sudden change of heart.

I thought that was her daughters house?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I got two main points from that article:

1. Gerry was a goner from the convertible ride. Treesa's "calming hand" is now a permanent part of their love story. 🥰

2. I don't know if I fully believe that Gerry had spoken before about moving to Charleston, but I can 100% believe that Treesa is determined to not reside in Toni's Dream House! "Toni used to cook my favorite meal in this kitchen." *sob sob* 😭

He sold their dream house after his wife died and purchased another lakefront home in that area.  I guess it was too much for him to live there without her. I think it's nice they are both wanting to relocate somewhere else now.  I hope they have a long, healthy and happy life together.  They def appear smitten 💘

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Rightside said:

I doubt she is dumping him anytime soon.  Their paid for, live televised wedding is in January!!

Plus they can milk their "fame" for years.

2 hours ago, Realitystarr said:

Ah. They made it sound like she's the Good Will Hunting of Wall Street.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Recyclorette said:

I found Leslie exhausting and feel that she was the desperate one.  I wouldn't want to be around her for long.  I think Theresa seems like a fun person and that she and Gerry truly connected early on.  The way this show is so totally removed from reality, I can see someone getting caught up in moments and ending up very confused about their feelings.  My guess is that, after spending so much time in the fantasy suite with Leslie's negativity, Theresa felt like a breath of fresh air.

Two things got my attention at the ATFR:  Gerry seemed a lot less "golly gee" and whenever they showed the ladies, my eyes always went to Faith's and Joan's lower lips.  Faith always seems to be pouting and, sorry Joan, but you really need an update and a good haircut.

My hubby's contribution to the "amazing and unbelievable announcement that was going to change the Bachelor franchise forever" (or however they chose to phrase it) was . . . She's pregnant!!!  Made my night. 

I think Theresa is a pretty sweet and charming person and she's smart too.  She wasn't just fooling old Katty Kathie that they really had a connection after all!  As far as being in the final two or three, I think he already knew who would be his choice.  It's a dating competition, and if I recall, there's a format.  I don't think Gerry was any more out of line than any other bachelor on this show.  I really didn't understand why Leslie was so bitter and dramatic, she should have been more aware of how the show works.  One thing I didn't like was how Gerry worded his proposal and sounded like he was about to reject her (Theresa), that was not nice!

Edited by endure
  • Like 8
  • Applause 3
15 hours ago, endure said:

I think Theresa is a pretty sweet and charming person and she's smart too.  She wasn't just fooling old Katty Kathie that they really had a connection after all!  As far as being in the final two or three, I think he already knew who would be his choice.  It's a dating competition, and if I recall, there's a format.  I don't think Gerry was any more out of line than any other bachelor on this show.  I really didn't understand why Leslie was so bitter and dramatic, she should have been more aware of how the show works.  One thing I didn't like was how Gerry worded his proposal and sounded like he was about to reject her Theresa, that was not nice!

She has been very open to speak of her bad relationships, not being in love, etc, that this break-up just put her over the edge.  Built up years of let downs, anger, heartbreak and possible lies; unfortunately she let it all out on Gerry.  She was probably embarrassed too as she wrote vows and got herself a "$60,000 wedding dress".  That was probably humiliating as he never properly proposed to her (or did he in the fanstasy suite?)

Oh, and agree about Gerry not being any more out of line than other bachelors.  They all kinda do this to the final couple of women.

Edited by bequialife
  • Like 5
23 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Theresa is cute and petite, but her hairstyle needs help. I thought maybe it was the humidity but that just seems to be how she likes her hair.

I think maybe she got extensions or something for the show, her hair looks better in pics on her instagram.  I think it could look better in a shorter bob style or anything.  Often people wear the same old style way past it's due date.... me included!

Edited by endure
  • Like 4
21 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I thought it was when he found out her bank balance 

Checking online re their net worth, if it's a fair estimate, Theresa's is 500,00 to 1,000,000 and Gerry's is 1,500,000 so financially they are OK but it's nice they are both reasonably comfortable and better together!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 11/30/2023 at 3:24 PM, boyznkatz said:

I think people are going to be pissed about his lying though. I think parts of that article are probably true, but we have to take it with a grain of salt. We are only hearing one person's account, and that is from an anonymous source. 

The source isn't anonymous, as in, unknown to the magazine...the source is presented as anonymous in the article, to protect her identity.  But she is a known person, and the magazine indicated having done a background investigation, which was able to verify certain logistical details the woman provided (like addresses).

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, endure said:

Checking online re their net worth, if it's a fair estimate, Theresa's is 500,00 to 1,000,000 and Gerry's is 1,500,000 so financially they are OK but it's nice they are both reasonably comfortable and better together!!!

I wouldn't trust those figures. I just looked myself up and it says I have $100 million dollars. I WISH.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 11
3 hours ago, endure said:

He sold their dream house after his wife died and purchased another lakefront home in that area.  I guess it was too much for him to live there without her.

My father-in-law sold the family home almost immediately after his wife of 35yrs died in a terrible car accident; he couldn't bear to be in the home they shared.  Six months later he was MARRIED to a woman he met in the apartment complex where he moved "temporarily."  

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 3
On 11/30/2023 at 9:25 PM, adhoc said:

Also:  In the midst of consoling Leslie in her suite that night, he said if he had known he'd be hurting her, he wouldn't have "started this journey".  Is it just me, or did that sound a bit--inauthentic?

Yes, and if I were Treesa, I'd be pissed! It's saying basically, that I'd give up having met Treesa to not have hurt you.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:43 PM, kristen111 said:

Joan’s upper face is frozen solid.

Joan looked like she had even more work done, and it's not a good look.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:56 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

**"[Treesa] knew how to nurture a relationship" = Some masterful Leslie shade!

Well worded!  And OMG yes it was.

1 hour ago, deSchenke said:

Access Hollywood had a nice interview with the two of them:

Yes, it addresses the 'ex', but doesn't go very deep into it.

Very interesting. First takeaway...Treesa knows her lipsticks were terrible. Second takeaway...regarding what seemed to us to be Gerry showing more interest in her after the date where she talked about her career, they explained that prior to that, Treesa had been pretty shy on camera and resistant to opening up, but on that date she was just being her actual self. Final takeaway...masterful prepping on Gerry's part about what to say regarding the Hollywood Reporter article!

• Like 4
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

If he IS a maintenance man (and I don't know that), perhaps the producers of the show didn't share that opinion.

6 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

And take it down a notch or ten Jesse Palmer - Absolutely nothing happened this episode that SHOCKED US TO THE CORE! Well, maybe Leslie in Costa Rica, but us the audience? Nah......

And take down that sincerity-puss and overly concerned look on your face.  It's not life or death and definitely not YOUR life!

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, endure said:

I just stumbled on hers then sought out his, who knows, there's lots of fake news everywhere.... but there were several comments on here that he chose her for her money which I don't believe either so was the only reason I posted!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Access Hollywood had a nice interview with the two of them:

Just saw the clips here--not the entire interview (which I'll find...especially for her lipstick comment).  Her voice is completely different--so normal and in charge.  Not like the little gaga simp who DID annoy the other women AND much of the audience with her continued bragging about every encounter with Gerry and his every encouraging word.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:39 PM, kristen111 said:

I think Leslie scared him with the sex talk.

I think Theresa was all action and very little talk.  THAT is what made his decision.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/29/2023 at 7:43 AM, cinsays said:

and he thought nobody was going to find all this out? yikes

I can see it now- a Lifetime movie about Gerry the manipulative. cheap, swindler sociopath widower! Sex, a seedy jerk older boyfriend in a small town, dead wife, mental health clinic jobs, May-December relationship, and even the scene of a lover falling down the stairs!!! They could cast the brilliant Jane Lynch to play him- put her in a spray tan, bad makeup, a feathered pixie cut- and the best thing is, she wouldn't even have to pad down her breasts to play him 🙌😅👀! Do it, Lifetime producers! Eat shit, Gerry!! 🥀📺👀😄

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1

I really liked Leslie's no holds barred takedown of Gerry during that breakup! I loved it when she said, "I can think whatever the fuck I want".  Leslie is gorgeous and I love her wavy natural hair or her blow-dried hair. Gerry is an insincere, wishy-washy jerk who doesn't really feel anything for the women in his life, he simply wants them to feel things for him.   I knew he wasn't going to pick Leslie- he wants a docile bobble head wife, so he picked Teresa.  Leslie is a babe and should date guys her age or younger.

I was super impressed by Leslie's Crystal Light National Aerobics Championship performance- those were the 80's equivalent of the Olympics for aerobic athletes, and she had to move up the ranks of contests/try outs to hit the national competition stage- her routine was an incredible display of gracefulness, strength and flexibility. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
11 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

perhaps the producers of the show didn't share that opinion

But identifying the star of their reality show as a “restaurateur” when he’s a maintenance man, is, well, it reminds me of all the belittling on the one season of The Apprentice I watched, only here it was apparently behind the scenes.

I didn’t watch this or similar shows (I can barely handle real-life reality) but The Hollywood Reporter article on Gerry’s real backstory makes me anticipate a future Lifetime movie about the aftermath of the this fairytale
— which I might watch.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Did anyone notice when Garry and Tre first sat down at the end and she was relaying what happened when he proposed that Gerry was moving his mouth kind of trying to mirror her talking. Like they had rehearsed it and he was repeating it with her. Watch it again, it’s bizarre.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

But identifying the star of their reality show as a “restaurateur” when he’s a maintenance man, is, well, it reminds me of all the belittling on the one season of The Apprentice I watched, only here it was apparently behind the scenes.

I didn’t watch this or similar shows (I can barely handle real-life reality) but The Hollywood Reporter article on Gerry’s real backstory makes me anticipate a future Lifetime movie about the aftermath of the this fairytale
— which I might watch.

Gerry is a “retired restaurateur.” It’s not a lie to say that. Millions of seniors have successful careers and then either due to lack of funds or boredom or both go on to get a job later in life. That doesn’t negate their earlier career. Maybe someone spent 45 years as a teacher before getting a job as a Walmart greeter. Would you take exception if such a person referred to themself as a retired teacher rather than identifying their career as a Walmart greeter? (Questioning “you” rhetorically. Lots of people expressed this sentiment. Just quoting the last person.)

Edited by JenE4
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sadie said:

Did anyone notice when Garry and Tre first sat down at the end and she was relaying what happened when he proposed that Gerry was moving his mouth kind of trying to mirror her talking. Like they had rehearsed it and he was repeating it with her. Watch it again, it’s bizarre.

Yes, I not only noticed it, but he never stopped doing it.  It was like they were reading in sync from the same cue card.

It had a creepy feel, like if Teresa got off the "script", he was going to correct her.

If you watch it again, it's like he's a ventriloquist and she's....his dummy.  That he can control.  

Teresa, please get a prenup.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

The places I've seen the "lip syncing" discussions have all had replies saying this is common in people with hearing loss - a kind of side-effect of struggling to hear and reading lips.  The studio audience and related ambient noise could've made it hard for Gerry to single out her voice, even with his hearing aid; apparently mouthing along with the speaker can help one process & comprehend.

That could just be apologizers giving him an out, but unless one is predisposed to hate/suspect everything about him (which I'm not - table for one, please!), it seems possible. Theresa seemed to be speaking freely and spontaneously to me.  In fact, I thought she seemed more confident and open than she had throughout the season.

I wouldn't be bothered if they were on script at that moment, though.  Why not discuss and prepare for an appearance that will be viewed, shared, remembered and picked apart by a large audience?  

• Like 12
  • Useful 2

I wouldn't be bothered if they were on an agreed-upon sort of script, if everything we thought about Gerry before all of this recent news came out, was true.

If he truly was that grieving widow who hadn't dated in 45 years, blah blah blah, and not the man who it turns out he was.

Now, I view him with such a different lens.

I'm in his age range.  The last guy I dated, 2+ years, wore hearing aids.  He did not move his lips when people talked.  Nor do my SIL, or any of the other people I know with hearing aids.  Heck, I had a date last night with a 64 year old with hearing loss.  No lips moved while I spoke.

So yeah, I'm suspect.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Am I the only one not taking "$60,000 dress" literally? I think Leslie either threw that number out there to convey that the dress was expensive, or she meant to say "six thousand."

Unless the show provided the wardrobe for these women, I can't see ANY of them spending $60k on a dress. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, DEL901 said:

The interviewer said there would be more of the interview tonight on Nightline. 

Nightline?  The same Nightline that started life as a daily update of the Iran hostage crisis? 

44 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

The places I've seen the "lip syncing" discussions have all had replies saying this is common in people with hearing loss - a kind of side-effect of struggling to hear and reading lips. 

I've been hard of hearing for decades and struggle mightily to understand speech, and do a lot of lip reading.  I don't recall ever mouthing along, and asked Mr. Outlier if I do it, because I could just be unaware of it.  But he said I don't. 

Gerry could very well be doing it, though.  People come up with all sorts of ways to help them do things.  Personally, I would find mouthing along an added burden--more distracting input, even though it's actually output.  Regardless, I wouldn't say it's "common."

That said, I have trouble believing she was speaking under threat of being corrected if she went off script.

• Like 5

I knew and posted that Gerry would pick Theresa. 

His eyes lit up like my favorite slot machine when she explained her job!

The lovely Leslie was lost in the gold dust. Stars appeared in Gerry’s eyes!

Now I ponder will the smart, wealthy Theresa really go through with it?

I suspect she’ll run…as fast as she can.   

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Starlight925 said:

Yes, I not only noticed it, but he never stopped doing it.  It was like they were reading in sync from the same cue card.

It had a creepy feel, like if Teresa got off the "script", he was going to correct her.

If you watch it again, it's like he's a ventriloquist and she's....his dummy.  That he can control.  

Teresa, please get a prenup.

If…..the lovely Theresa does marry him and as I posted above…I have my doubts on that one…she better prenup with all her might. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, sadie said:

That is bizarre! Well, Teresa does look like a puppet 😏! I'm not going to be watching The Gerry and Theresa Howdy Doody Show act on January 4th, that's for sure! 😄

image.png.4091d870f6f6185f013286cd006e5c83.png

6 hours ago, silversage said:

I did see that with his mouth and though they were reading a rehearsed script.

Anyway I was not shocked or surprised at the ending. Nothing surprises me anymore and I sure didn’t tear up.

image.thumb.png.f4c8d2224e94651cf39ba625fe37f7b4.png

Jennifer Love Hewitt cried for Bachelor Nation! 😭📺🙌😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, archer1267 said:

Am I the only one not taking "$60,000 dress" literally? I think Leslie either threw that number out there to convey that the dress was expensive, or she meant to say "six thousand."

Unless the show provided the wardrobe for these women, I can't see ANY of them spending $60k on a dress. 

I think that Leslie didn't even buy the dress- I think that wardrobe people took her out to a dress rental place in Costa Rica or Saks Fifth Avenue in LA and had her pick out a dress to wear that would be returned.  She definitely was bringing up the ridiculousness of it all- the walking alone onto a platform while being filmed, huge diamond earrings, the incredibly expensive dress- only to be broken up with.  She probably looked at the price tag of the dress and thought, "Wow! 60k?! I guess I'll wear it, producers!"

• Like 3

Teresa, if you do walk down the aisle with this clown please get the most iron clad prenup possible and do not let him take out life insurance on you.

And now I can’t get Kanye out of my head 🎶

“If you ain’t no punk, holla we want pre nup we want pre nup!”

• LOL 2

Well, ugh. Leslie & Teresa were my 2 least favorites, so I wasn’t going to enjoy this no matter which way it went, but that was a spectacular letdown all the same.

I had a visceral dislike of Teresa from the first episode and I finally figured out why around the hometown dates episode. She bears a strong physical resemblance (face — especially the mouth — and similar little tiny body) to the evil mother-in-law of one of my best friends. The woman I know has the same wide-eyed “innocence” as she passively-aggressively says insulting things that are couched *just* enough for plausible deniability … but if you know, you know.

Leslie did look amazing during the “live” portion but her endless stream of recriminations did nothing to make me like her better. I hope she’s not going to be the Golden Bachelorette. She doesn’t come off very well-spoken or poised to me, I think she would be an unlikable lead. (Although as someone who is 54 and never married, I actually relate to the “never gets chosen” rant. And my sister loved her, so maybe I’m not a good barometer of what folks will want to watch.)

I doubt I will be watching the naked ratings grab merger … I mean wedding. 

• Like 5

I quit watching the show because I thought Gerry was inauthentic and smarmy. And I hate the "house-full of desperate women" trope.

I just read the Reporter article. What we have here is an old-fashioned chauvinist and misogynist (who lies). I'm not surprised, because in reality lots of men (and women) his age share that perspective.

Once again "reality TV" has revealed itself to be anything but. Why do people keep falling for it?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Personally, I would find mouthing along an added burden--more distracting input, even though it's actually output.  Regardless, I wouldn't say it's "common."

Point taken.  Maybe it'd be more accurate if I'd said it's "not unheard of".   

It seems more likely to me that it was a hearing or nervous issue and not a matter of them memorizing their conversation before it took place on live tv.  Though, now that I think about it, that would be pretty impressive! 

• Like 1

"Retired restaurateur" has much classier, fancier term than, "man who had a fast food franchise and sold it and now does maintenance work."

It may be literally true, but it reminds me of how people pad their resumes to get a job.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Once again "reality TV" has revealed itself to be anything but. Why do people keep falling for it?

If there were quality TV shows, this reality stuff would suffer in the rating. But when any of the Bachelor/ette shows rank high in the ratings, you can bet there’s nothing competing for the audience’s attention. That’s certainly why I watched. 

Add in the newness of a senior bachelor and the ratings were a bonanza. What I found was my tolerance for senior stupidity and silliness is much lower than for the inexperienced young crowd. 

I also loathed that these ladies dressed inappropriately for their age. Theresa’s finale lavender number was awful. No one in their 70s should wear that low cut no cleavage dress with unsupported boobs hanging to their waist. 😖 And this is just one instance. I could name many! And not just Teresa. 

Regarding Gerry’s mouthing while listening, he’s been doing this all season. if you want true entertainment, watch the listeners instead of the talkers. 

Gerry was never my cup of tea but, hey, we get our entertainment wherever we can find it. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2