Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E11: Double Bind

• Start Topic

Oh No! I like so much of Bishme's work,  but his was by far the worst. WHAaaaattt!!! They're sending Korto home??? Hers not only wasn't the worst in my eyes... it wasn't even 2nd worst!

I'm sorry I know we all love Rami  especially as he doesn't seem to have a mean bone in his body and he's created many a beautiful dress, but I have no idea what Elaine was seeing when she said you did create something elegant and memorable? (After saying it didn't meet the parameters he was given)

I would have placed Brittany's look at the top but a case could be made for Laurance's which was beautifully made as  her garments usually are, except for those 2 recent fishtail bottom dresses. I never like that tight from the knee down look. Still I think many would want to wear Brittany's look, even moreso if only semi-sheer.

IDK why they don't just have Nina and a guest  do the judging. I swear Brandon and Elaine wait to see what Nina thinks and then jump on her er' ... coattails! and he's dumb enough to keep saying so!

I'd have rated today's looks:

Brittany

Laurance

Korto

Prajje 

Rami

Bishme

...but I guess it wasn't about that.

• Like 10

Korto’s wasn’t the worst look. Hilarious when she side-eyed Brittany’s dress at judging. She must have been looking for the modest part. As was I. WTAF?  The red-haired judge seemed nice, but her comment about B’s dress having the shape of a modest dress? Oh, honey, please.

Disappointed in Rami’s dress. 

I know people have said that the larger-sized models are a disadvantage on this runway, but Christian broke through designing a (gorgeous) red-carpet gown for Leslie Jones. And his runway shows have featured models of all sizes. Not to mention, he partnered with Lane Bryant. So somehow, he finds ways to, uh, make it work.

Go, Bishme. Korto may have said things that hurt her with the judges tonight, but among the very true things she said, it’s Bishme’s to win.

I like Rami and most of his stuff is beautiful. But I don’t see him taking it all. 

I did feel bad when both Korto and Rami got comments that seemed to call them old, so incapable of doing fashion forward. Hey, judges: Karl Lagerfeld. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 4

The design that I thought embraced the challenge the best got sent home over that weird beaded sweatshirt monstrosity!  This show has gotten very weird.  I was sure that the black draped thing with the weird cape thing would have  gone home and they liked it … 😳🫤

• Like 7
  • Applause 2

I predict that Laurance will win.  She’s done some pretty bad designs and they’ve kept her around when she should have gone home weeks ago.  They’ve kept her there for a reason.  I’ve always thought these things were rigged.  Korto should have kept her mouth shut at judging.  She kept going on and on and I knew then, she would be going home tonight! 

• Like 9
Just now, susannot said:

Damn!  I am totally in the minority here but I loved Korto's look.  When it came down the runway I said to the cats "yes, there it is."  I love loose flowy pants so that explains it.

I liked it too! It's just that I liked Brittany's more. I don't yearn for a pink leather suit  or  any color really fitted top to bottom look  in leather, but it was beautifully made... so that's why I 'd put that above Korto's.

I didn't love the red on black fabric of the pant and the jacket's  embellishments, but with the pairing of the shapes... there was a very decent idea in there.

Has Laurance ever had a plus size model?

Seems many of us are of a like  mind tonight.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Pi237 said:

As much of a charming, sweet guy Rami is, I'm finding his designs pretty boring.

I thought it was a bit unfair that he didn't adhere to the theme of the challenge but was still in the top.  In that respect I agree with Korto (Could this be true?) that the judges send mixed messages.  I just don't think his outfit was so good that the theme didn't apply to his look.  I'm not saying he should have gone home, but he shouldn't have been in the top 3 in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
55 minutes ago, swankie said:

I thought it was a bit unfair that he didn't adhere to the theme of the challenge but was still in the top.  In that respect I agree with Korto (Could this be true?) that the judges send mixed messages.  I just don't think his outfit was so good that the theme didn't apply to his look.  I'm not saying he should have gone home, but he shouldn't have been in the top 3 in my opinion.

I agree, Rami's was pretty bad! Only Bishme's was worse. Obviously they factored into their elimination decision that he had  several good showings this season... though they don't say that's what they're doing.

They say it's about the look each designer showed and to put their very best forth, as anybody could go home at any time.

Can't be.

They don't seem to want to give Brittany winning look no matter what she does. This is about the 3rd time I thought they'd pick hers. Why did Nina let loose with that expletive whilst seeming registering approval on her face when Brittany's dress came down the runway?

I've typed this before, there was another time Nina's look conveyed she was pretty blown away by (or at least very pleased with) Brittany's look and then... nothing. The win goes to someone else.

I'm watching again as I missed the first 40 minutes earlier. Korto let Brittany use some unneeded fabric she had, dark green neoprene or something)? That was nice of her.

There, I found something nice to say about Korto for her send off. This particular time,  she was wronged! I'm still scratching my head over why she has acted so differently returning as an all star? I'll have to go watch her season over again, as I don't remember her being so disagreeable  all the damned time.

• Like 13

Screw the challenge--- Rami's dress was *everything!* It was so figure flattering, and classy sexy. He made a great decision to leave out the jacket since it wasn't right. He really advertised himself & his line well to potential future clients. Smart man. Go Rami!

I also thought Laurence's look was the clear winner! When the model came out, I said: "Yes, ma'am! Yes, ma'am!" out loud. Lol. When Brandon said you could wear that look today & 20 years from now--- that is the highest compliment. Even though, technically he was slighting her adhering to the "trendy" part of the challenge. 

I absolutely *hAted!!!* Britney's look! I thought she was toast when the guest judge was a modest designer. I learned there are different interpretations of modest based on culture. When the guest judge pointed out that the shape of the gown was modest, I saw what she meant. The only thing I liked about Britney's look was the model's great bum.

Interesting that Bishme was the only designer that truly did both opposing ideas & ended up in the bottom. What he had to say about hoodies was important and I hope people truly listened to him. When he spoke about taking his hood down when he entered stores so that he's not viewed as a threat... it reminded me of Trayvon Martin & I got teary-eyed. Someone asking dear, sweet, mild-mannered Bishme if he was going to rob them!? Heartbreaking!!... and I am quite sure that was only one story of many... That being said, I didn't like his look.

It was ironic that Korto went home on a challenge where the initial premise was women being told they're too much of one thing & not enough of the other--- and that was her exact situation. My opinion of her differs from many folks on this forum. And that's ok. I thought she was often hilarious! In a dry-witted, sly kind of way; similar to British humor. She was feeling frustrated this episode and said so. Probably too much. But, she was also helpful and generous to Britney. And she was fun-loving when they where dancing around and going for drinks.

I was dismayed that the designers were so tired. Going straight from one challenge to next, and a one day challenge at that. I wish they gave them a little more time to rest.

• Like 17

I thought Brittany's look was more on the trashy side, not sexy, and definitely not modest.  I did like the dress material though.  Laurence was clearly the winner.   I think Rami got a bit of a pass because his dress was well constructed. Bishme's dress was definitely not his best work of the season.  Korto's look was okay but her attitude did her in.  Prejesn (sp) dress was pretty but nothing special.  

• Like 7

I didn't get Rami's look at all, although I guess it was beautifully constructed.  I didn't really see fitted, nor did I see oversized.  I loved Brittany's look but no way was it modest.  Laurence was the correct winner, IMO.   I would pick her as the winner of the whole thing if she gets away from the all leather looks.   

Bishme's dress was dreadful, but I was glad he remained.  Cant stand Korto and her attitude.  Although the pants were beautiful, they looked heavy with the brocaded fabric.   And the top was meh.  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Korto had a point about mixed messages, but she went on and on about it in a way that just came off like sour grapes.

Yeah, she couldn't seem to accept that sometimes she did good stuff, and sometimes she sent out crap. It wasn't "mixed messages." 

8 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Prahhe's looks like a tyrannosaurus. That's the spiky one, right?

I think you mean Stegasaurous

Why did Christian hate Rami's Hawaiian shirt so much?

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 11
  • Applause 1

It seemed a bit off that the guest judge was "tuned" so much to Brittney's challenge. But then looking at the front page of her website, I can see why she wasn't offended by all the skin showing:

Screen Shot 2023-08-18 at 7.55.53 AM.png

• Useful 6
3 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Who was that guest judge ? The prairie dress designer.

Anybody catch her name?

The guest judge is named Batsheva Hay.  I had never heard of her before, but they said she designs modest clothes.  Apparently, she designs for the Orthodox Jewish community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 5

Judges, please stop trying to make fetch happen.  Sorry, that's two weeks in a row where the judges are going nuts over Rami's dull designs.  WTF?  The fix is in with a lot of stuff here.

UO: I loved Korto's brocade pants. They really flowed, even though brocade is a heavy fabric.   Christian warned Rami off the brocade fabric.  Hmm.

Bishme's was a hot mess, but I guess they didn't want to send him home either.  I loved his win last week.

I loved Laurence's winning look, and I really liked Brittany's. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Rami's construction is praised continually, but I see a lot of construction/sewing flaws.  I sew, and I know how hard it is to do what he is doing, but he actually does not carry it off!  (Not saying I could do it either, and it's impossible in these one-day challenges, but still.)

I just went back and looked at his IG page and was reminded of another construction gaffe in the underwear challenge.  I posted at that time that he had a lot of puckers in his skirt but the judges were praising him for having no puckers.  Come on! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Bye Korto! Not going to miss your attitude, sob stories or that giant chip on your shoulder. Your pants looked like a big, glittery quilt. 
The red suit Laurence made was really nice and well fitted. I was surprised Brittany was a favorite and that the modest designer guest judge liked it. 
Poor Bishme model, her hoo-ha was almost showing. I think he would have got the boot had Korto not pissed off the judges. 

7 hours ago, T Summer said:

I liked it too! It's just that I liked Brittany's more. I don't yearn for a pink leather suit  or  any color really fitted top to bottom look  in leather, but it was beautifully made... so that's why I 'd put that above Korto's.

I didn't love the red on black fabric of the pant and the jacket's  embellishments, but with the pairing of the shapes... there was a very decent idea in there.

Has Laurance ever had a plus size model?

Seems many of us are of a like  mind tonight.

Laurence's outfit: Red? Pink?

I'm going with "pink," unless my TV is really off. 

• Like 10

I really loved Korto's look and thought it fit the challenge, not liking her much personally, but her designs are what count. 

I'm sorry, there was nothing at all modest about Brittney's look, her butt cheeks hanging out? that somehow fits modest?  i think she should have been in the bottom 3 just for not fitting the challenge. Beautiful overdress, but,  in total, a fail.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

💖 Bishme calling Rami older and the ensuing convo.  Those 2!

Lawrence had to win, IMO, as the only one that really met the challenge.  Brittany's having a "modest shape" but being totally sheer, nope.  I think Korto was second closest to meeting challenge even though I can't remember what her categories were, but she was pretty disrespectful to the judges from what we saw.

Prajje and Rami both made attractive things but not meeting the challenge things.  Bishme's was a disaster, but I'm glad he stayed.

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

How anyone can call Brittany's see through prairie dress over ass baring under garments modest is beyond my understanding

I think they just liked it, so they were forced into saying things like "It WOULD be modest if...."

Personally (I am certainly no designer), I might have reached back in history to parts of a woman's body that were once considered sexy when shown, such as the ankle or back of the neck/upper back. Or perhaps a tiny slice of bare waistline.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Elaine was wearing a variation of the criss cross top Prajjé invented.

9 hours ago, buttersister said:

I know people have said that the larger-sized models are a disadvantage on this runway, but Christian broke through designing a (gorgeous) red-carpet gown for Leslie Jones.

That's two different situations, though. Christian had free reign, more money, and more time to design for Leslie Jones. Most of these designers are having to do something very unfamiliar while under a lot of pressure. I'm thinking a designer winning with a garment on a plus size model hasn't happened, unless it was a challenge with all larger models.

I wasn't familiar with Rami's work, but I'm enjoying seeing it. I knew we'd be seeing him for a while once Christian saved him. Every designer who was saved by either Christian or Tim Gunn survived until at least the episode before the finale. Some made the finale and one won.

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

I think they could have had a non-elimination week since they all did just Ok and one day isn’t enough for anything beyond a basic dress. I hated Brittany’s clown puffs and butt hanging out dress but the lace was nice. There was something I liked in all of their dresses but also something missing. I’m not a fan of skin tight head to toe leather and that outfit would only look good on a 90 pound model. Bisme had the worst look but I could see he tried to meet the challenge. I’m still partial to Rami and his beautiful dresses. What’s with Nina saying “You go first “ or “I don’t want to decide “. She was always very opinionated before.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Rami's construction is praised continually, but I see a lot of construction/sewing flaws.  I sew, and I know how hard it is to do what he is doing, but he actually does not carry it off!  (Not saying I could do it either, and it's impossible in these one-day challenges, but still.)

When they flashed back to Rami's dress from last week, you could see the wonky sewing and lines across the bodice. This week, his model had very little breast support and the one boob looked lower than the other. I'm sure he couldve nailed it with more time, but if they're judging what's in front of them-he didn't meet the challenge and the design was 'safe' in my opinion.

definitely mixed messages there since Korto's fit the challenge's parameters and was more challenging technique-wise. They always play favorites (or more accurately, the producers do.) So, I never expect fair judging, but Korto shouldn't have gone home in this one, but I'm g!ad she did instead of Bishme. Not because I prefer his designs, because i loved Korto's jacket and her coat from last week. But she takes everything too seriously and comes off miserable which isn't good tv 

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

think they could have had a non-elimination week since they all did just Ok and one day isn’t enough for anything beyond a basic dress.

speaking of, what does "one day" mean? Does anyone know the actual time line? As in, approximately what time do they go to mood... get the model fitting... etc.? Clearly the runway was on the "second day" with hair and makeup-- what else happens on the second day of a "one day challenge"?

24 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Bisme had the worst look but I could see he tried to meet the challenge.

I think he needed to drop the bedazzling on the bust, and make the sweatshirt vibe more pronounced. The little ill-sewn stomach hand-warmer pocket just looked dumb, but if it were slouchier and bigger I think it would have fit the challenge better. Although maybe I'm thinking of casual/glamorous rather than basic and bold (which honestly doesn't make sense). 

• Like 8

It seemed to me that the judges abandoned the whole double-bind thing and just went with the outfits they liked. Brittany's outfit had no modesty component, Rami's dress didn't really have an oversized component, and Laurence made another jumpsuit. 

I'm OK with the way things turned out (Rami is still my favorite, and he definitely benefited from the loose interpretation of the challenge), but, to me, the two outfits that best fit the challenge were Korto's and Bishme's. They were far from the best outfits on the runway, but they met the brief, unlike some of the top outfits.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1