Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Priceless Runway

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

I hate that Korina won.  Upholstery fabric is upholstery fabric. There's a REASON I don't wear a jacket made out of my couch fabric.  I thought it looked heavy & it was strangling the model.  She got lucky.  And no, she didn't PROVE she deserves to be there.  She PROVED that they like a single design of hers.  BIG difference. 

I would have chosen Sean, as his seemed much more suited to an evening gala. 

Sad for Samantha, but it was just too dull.   As always, I loved Fade's dress, but I think he should have made it fuller.  The rest kind of all blended together.

Emily needs to do something without a hood.  Seriously, not every dress needs a hood.  

Next week looks interesting. A rainway?  Poor models.  

• Love 11

Mine too, Hawkey!  It's done that a few times this season, so I've been keeping an eagle eye on it, but forgot tonight!

Sean's model looked like a Disney princess.  My hatred for Korina is preventing me from fully appreciating her dress.

Fade jumped up to hug Alexander at the end, which tells me Alexander is awesome in some way.

• Love 2

What was the love for Amanda's outfit? It looked like a scuba suit with a sheer peignoir robe. I know that she thinks that everything she does is edgy but this was just bad.

Korina's dress was OK but nothing special. The neckline was odd and didn't work well with the necklace. But that coat...it looked like a blanket. It was heavy and stiff and did not look elegant. I don't understand why she is still here much less why she won.

Sean was the clear winner. I would have put Fade in the top because it was so different.

• Love 13

How in the world was Amanda in the top?  I'd put her safe, at best.  I actually really liked Korina's.  It was dramatic, but good.  And I loved the dress too when the model took the coat off.  Sean's was kind of boring and I didn't like that bit hanging on the arms making a V in the back.  It looked too loose, yet constricting at the same time.  It was just odd.  I think having that thing hanging on my arms would drive me batty.

For the first time, I didn't love Fades.  It was just all-right for me.

• Love 7

I have decided that I know absolutely nothing about fashion.

Amanda's was awful as far as I was concerned.  Alexander's wasn't much better.  (and how does he keep winning fan favorite?????)

Kini's had issues, but I didn't think it was near as bad as all that.  My daughter kept saying how country Korina's coat was and I thought the necklace was lost on the black dress.

• Love 7

Alexander's dress looked like a rumpled up bedspread.

I liked Korinas dress, hair and makeup better than the couch fabric coat.

I'm glad Tim saved Char.

I didn't like Amanda's cat suit and I thought she was too safe just draping that sheer curtain material over it.

So poor what's her name, can't remember her name, went home because she played it safe. It was basic but I didn't think it was as safe as Amanda's .

Sean should have won.

Next week, a rainway, stupid if you ask me. Hope the models don't get pneumonia.

• Love 3

Next week, a rainway, stupid if you ask me. Hope the models don't get pneumonia.

Right!  I almost forgot.  My thoughts were next week they try to kill the models.  Between walking on a wet surface in high heels, being soaking wet and who knows what else.

• Love 3

Much as it pains me, because I don't like her and have found her a lackluster designer, thus far, I think the judges picked the right winner this week.  Korina's was the most creative design, with the most impact, and accentuated the jewels well (though I thought that necklace was ugly.)  My favorite design was Sean's, but I agree - Again! - with the judges - it was well designed and executed, but not particularly creative.  That was a boatload of jewels, though.  I know he had to use them all, but I think the dress would've looked better with just the earrings and ring or just the neclace, but not all three.

Where I diverge from the judges - Amanda.  I am at the level of befuddlement I was back in Gretchen's season, with the love the judges have for Amanda's retro, redundant, faux boho "rock and roll" girl.  And a moratorium of at least 10 years should be declared on her using the words "rock and roll" again.

Loved the excitement of Sean's model at her dress and jewels.  She was adorable.

I would've sent Alexander home.  For me, his lack of taste would trump Samantha's lack of creativity on these designs, plus he obscured the jewels on an enhance the jewels challenge.

Much as I like Char as a personality, her designs have been meh.  Tim wasted his Save.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 20

I think most of Amanda's aesthetic seems to be 1960s by way of costuming for the first Austin Powers movie, which I don't know why that's a thing a person would cling onto. She even said something about it the other week about her dress being something like when the 1990s did the 1960s. It's like making a photocopy of a photocopy.

• Love 6

I am so over jumpsuits. I thought Amanda's jacket was horrible, so of course it got praise. I do not get the judges love for so many of her designs. 

I liked Korina's dress, but it wasn't anything that hasn't been seen before. I hated the coat. It looked so bulky and stiff. I though besides the print of the coat there did not seem to be anything special about it. It was an oversized, long coat. I do not think there was any really special detail about it.

Sean's bored me. I thought his and Samantha's were equally snooze worthy.

Alexander's looked like someone forgot to iron their clothes. He always has a dopey, openmouthed expression on his face that is starting to annoy me.

I thought Fade's was just okay, and fine that it was declared safe. It looked a bit like a cocktail dress and less like a gala dress to me.

I am fine with Tim saving Char. I do hope she steps it up though. I liked some of her earlier designs than the past few episodes.

• Love 4

I think Char is a nice lady, but I don't think Tim should have used his save on her.  Her outfit looked bridal to me, as Kini's did. 

And can they PLEASE stop trying to make Neoprene happen?  Staaaahp!  It's stiff and ugly and only works for wet suits. I hated Kini's dress and the top was ridiculous and unflattering.  This whole "hard and soft" thing so many of them try to carry off just doesn't work the way they think it will.  Just bring the pretty! 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 15

I do feel like the right person went home for a change. I really didn't feel any of them used fabrics that were luxurious enough for those jewels. Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when people don't pronounce "jewelry" correctly. Char pronounced it like "jury" and I also hate when someone pronounces it "jew-la-ree." I actually liked Amanda's look tonight, but it bothered me that she said a couple of times that she wanted to show the judges something they hadn't seen before after saying she was doing a look from the 60s. Think Laura Petrie from the old Dick Van Dyke Show. I wasn't a huge fan of Korina's look but I think part of that may be because I just can't stand her personality. I also objected to her saying her win showed she deserved to be there. Nothing else she's designed up to now showed anyone that she deserved to be there.  

I think the big Tim Gunn announcement was very predictable. You could smell it coming after the scene with all the designers saying how much they missed Char and then them showing the scene from last week where Tim said he would have saved her had it been later in the season. I think the whole thing was contrived just for dramatic effect this week, but it fell flat. I really don't care one way or another that she was brought back, but I'm just sick of them playing with the viewers. Why do they not get that the reason people tune in to see this show is the designs and not the fake drama?

• Love 10

I think most of Amanda's aesthetic seems to be 1960s by way of costuming for the first Austin Powers movie, which I don't know why that's a thing a person would cling onto. She even said something about it the other week about her dress being something like when the 1990s did the 1960s. It's like making a photocopy of a photocopy.

Oh my god. You are so right. This is exactly how I saw Amanda's aesthetic in my head but could not explain. It's VERY Austin Powers does 1960s. Her whole outfit was horrocious (horrendous and atrocious). It looked like Peggy Bundy Does Scuba Diving. I would love to have heard what Michael Kors would say about it.

That said, I think they picked the best winner. It was creative, impactful and highlighted the jewels.

But on another note--can someone please explain to me the Fade love? His designs are very run of the mill and honestly nothing special.

• Love 4

Oh, Kini! What happened??? It was definitely a huge change for his dress to turn out so unpolished. I was very surprised to see him struggle so much, but I am glad that he was pretty much safe, they didn't even contemplate him going home.

And was it just me, or did they sort of do the same thing with Amanda's look... like they didn't even consider it for the win? Just sort of skipped over it? Or did I blank on some of it? But if that's the case, it's interesting when Heidi hates a look and the others like it, it can still win, but for Zac to hate something, it no longer has a chance of winning.

I definitely agree with Zac, though... Amanda's jumpsuit thingy was horrible!! I just knew they were going to like it they way they edited Amanda freaking out about it. It didn't look polished, it didn't look glam... it didn't look like it belonged with super expensive jewelry... it just sort of looked stupid to me.... definitely something for the worst dressed list... ick. She should go home, I'm sick of her stuff.... even taking the personality stuff out of the equation.

I didn't have much problem with the other two top looks or who they gave the win to. Korina's dress was better than the coat for me, but I did think it an odd combo with the necklace. The judges praised the black on black, but it made it harder to see the details for me. Seans dress was also really elegant and showcased the jewelry very nicely.

I don't have too much problem with the bottom looks either, since the 'safe' designers all had pretty decent dresses even if they weren't the most exciting. I did notice a lot of them seemed to have the same sort of tail shape on the backs, which was strange... but most of the looks were okay, even if nothing really wowed me this week.

• Love 3

Amanda's outfit was boring and didn't look like a gala outfit, nor did it highlight the jewels. She could indeed send paper bags down the runway and the judges would love it. I wasn't overly thrilled with any of the dresses tonight but I liked Korina's because I am partial to southwestern designs and it was different. i also liked Emily's and Sean's was nice and accented the jewelry. For the first time I didn't like either Fade or Kini's designs. Fade's was boring and Kini's should have been in a different color. Sandyha made a cocktail dress rather than a gala dress, but at least it was pretty. Char was a snooze, Tim should have waited for his save.

• Love 4

I like Char too, but I'm not sure Tim should have wasted his save. Then again, I'm not exactly wow'ed by any of them this season, so you could feasibly argue that Tim would be wasting his save regardless of which designer gets sent home.

I dislike Korina, but I think she deserved the win over Sean. I liked Sean's gown, but it wasn't exactly risk taking.

Was I the only person insulted when Nina dissed Samantha's dress as being something that a PR intern would wear? I think Heidi followed it up with a star's assistant. They're such snobs. I was put off by that comment. Hey, maybe if the fashion industry paid its interns . . .

Anyway.

So next week is a rain runway. Has Heidi been in contact with Tyra for ideas? A rain runway is straight out of ANTM.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 13

I guess I am in the minority but I thought Korina's look was stunning. The effect with the coat, dress and necklace was beautiful. I also loved Sean's look, but Korina's was much more original and risky. WTF, Amanda is on top?? So basically she can send whatever crap she wants to down the runway and the judges (save for Zac), eat it up.

Alexander should have gone home, but I'm ok with the "I don't do dresses, or formal, or anything that isn't street" girl being shown the door.

Kini effed up by using effing neoprene.

Tim wasted his save on Char.

• Love 16
Kini effed up by using effing neoprene.

I can't believe Kini used Neoprene. I feel like setting the next contestant on fire who uses Neoprene.

There was a winking smiley with a tongue sticking out before the hashtag. Classy.

What a shitty thing for their social media person to tweet.

And I agree, the "rainway" sounds like something from ANTM. Remember the Smellrose/CariDee finale?

Oh yeah. Melrose was annoying. She'd fit in really well with this season's designers, except that she's not a designer.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Although I like Char as a person (considering I don't really know her!) I too think Tim wasted his save. She hasn't done anything that warranted her being brought back. She was just a nice upbeat lady and maybe a pleasure to have in the workroom. Everyone seems to like her. I'm actually puzzled as to why Tim brought her back.

Hated Amanda's outfit for reasons already said better by everyone else here who also disliked it. What the hell?

I kind of liked Korina's. I still don't like her or anything else she's done. I thought it odd how the coat didn't close in the front. It would look nice with jeans, I think.

My impression of Alexander is that he's just a sweet guy, like someone's kid brother and he probably gets along well with everyone in the room. He's very low key personality wise. I wasn't surprised to see Fade hug him. He seems relatively drama free & honest. I also think he's very cute. Considering the other choices in the room, he seems like one of the few nice people. I kind of liked his dress, if it had been better executed. I saw what he was going for.

Heidi looked different tonight, with the red lipstick and with no bare body parts showing. I was startled every time the camera landed on her.

I wish Sean had won though just so Korina wouldn't have immunity for the next challenge.

Edited by kat165

Either they showed more of Tim with the designers, or he was particularly good in mentoring tonight. Specific, helpful - not at all generic.

When I saw Sean's necklace I immediately thought "that will look stunning under a high neckline so the entire necklace is over fabric". I still feel this way. Dog collar with fabric angling down to each armpit and around to back would have been perfect. Back would have still been open, but necklace would have been show stopper....

• Love 3
I guess I am in the minority but I thought Korina's look was stunning. The effect with the coat, dress and necklace was beautiful. I also loved Sean's look, but Korina's was much more original and risky.

I wish I could enjoy Korina's win because I actually liked her "look" but she's such a small person who spitefully puts down and lashes out against others when they do better than her that I cannot support her. She is a little person, the type who I will cheer when and if she's eliminated before the final because she's so unlikeable and unpleasant.

• Love 15

I laughed and laughed when I noticed that Amanda wore a top in the same garish yellow that was Char and Sandhya's downfall on the last challenge.  I don't know if she did it deliberately to unnerve Sandhya (and double for Char after she came back!), or if it was just coincidence, but it was funny as hell.

• Love 7

Bye, Samantha, one of the most forgettable PR contestants, ever, imo. I never remembered who she was or what she did from one week to another. I do have some advice for her  though: next time you decide to enter a competition, make sure you know what you are getting into. To sign on to Project Runway with no experience at all in making gowns ("I've never even been to a wedding!") was just silly. Why would you do that? Why did you sound so proud of it? You only do urban street separates? Fine. Go compete somewhere where producing gowns hasn't been the sine qua non of challenges for over a decade.

Shut up, Amanda. No one in the sixties wore skirts with a separation in the front to show pants underneath. NO ONE. And if we had, they wouldn't have been fifties style dresses Seriously. That jumpsuit travesty you produced was the most absurd response to the challenge by far. Full out glam? Suitable for wearing to a major event or gala? Suitable for pairing with a hundred thousand dollars worth of jewelry? Pfui. Shut up, judges.

Nina, please don't use the word "ethnic" to describe things with cultural references you don't understand. Korina's outfit, unlike Amanda's, did look like something people wore in the sixties. All it needed was  a slightly shorter hem on the dress and knee high boots and it was all ready to be worn on campus by a drama major in the middle of winter. To a gala in 2014? Not so much. Besides, aren't galas in big crowded rooms with dancing? Why would anyone wear ten pounds of upholstery fabric?  I did laugh out loud when she described her coat as having "big shoulders" while the camera panned the perfectly ordinary shoulders.

Those beautiful jewels! That stunning exhibit at the Met! The challenge to  the designers as individuals to create something full out glamorous! I was so thrilled and then wah-wah "you have one day . . . "

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 13

I do love Kini, but his dress looked like a deluxe Greek Goddess Halloween costume.

I didn't mind Amanda's until some of you said that it was something Peggy Bundy would wear and think was elegant. LOL! Spot-on!

Korina's was different/cool, but the coat DID just look really long and heavy and like it didn't have a lot of design to it.  She's really lucky that the judges liked her fabric choice.

I don't even remember the name of the girl who was sent home tonight, so that should tell you something.

I agree with those who've said that Tim wasted his save on Char. 

ETA: I was appalled that they took the designers to see all these gorgeous gowns...that NO ONE. no matter HOW talented, would EVER be able to make for a freaking ONE-DAY CHALLENGE! 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 5

I was surprised last week when Tim told Char that he would have saved her if it was later in the competition. I thought it was a little too much behind-the-curtain stuff he's not supposed to reveal. Maybe that's why he used the save? Cuz it sure couldn't have been over her meh designs. Or maybe because everyone is "meh" this season, so he figured why not? She's nice and well-liked, so let's keep her. I don't know...it was weird.

I agree with Zac who said Amanda's dress would have made every worst dressed list. What is wrong with the other judges this year and their Amanda love?

Oh, and when I think of a blanket from the SouthWest, I think of Chopard jewelry.

Was I the only person floored when Nina dissed Samantha's dress as being something that a PR intern would wear insulting? I think Heidi followed it up with a star's assistant. They're such snobs. I was put off by that comment.

I gasped when Nina said that, and then gasped again when no one had a reaction. (or a reaction like ours!). I agree with you - they're such snobs. Makes me miss Joan Rivers already. She loved to talk fashion, but never with snob appeal.

• Love 10

Those beautiful jewels! That stunning exhibit at the Met! The challenge to  the designers as individuals to create something full out glamorous! I was so thrilled and then wah-wah "you have one day . . . "

When I lived in Chicago, the Chicago History Museum held a Charles James exhibit. I went to it and his work is fascinating. He was an interesting personality to boot.

His gowns are extravagant and highly detailed. Very intricately made. Nothing that designers put out for the runway reminded me of what Charles James had accomplished. In fact, none of the designers' dresses qualified as gowns. I'm not saying that had to follow James' designs to a T. None of them is that talented, but none of those dresses were gowns. I'm surprised by the judges, but I think Zac gave the best critiques. Zac knows how to make dresses and gowns.

Again, I like Kini, but I could not believe he chose Neoprene. Oy.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Comcast (Lifetime?) had the regular time slot of this episode listed as To Be Announced so my DVR did not record. I have the repeat (immediately following) scheduled to record. Odd

I almost missed it for the same reason.  Check your listings and DVR again, because they aired some new Girlfriends makeover show instead of repeat PR in that timeslot immediately following PR.  You actually need to manually record the To Be Announced slot or you'll miss PR.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

I gasped when Nina said that, and then gasped again when no one had a reaction. (or a reaction like ours!). I agree with you - they're such snobs. Makes me miss Joan Rivers already. She loved to talk fashion, but never with snob appeal.

I half expected someone (like Zac) to say something. I didn't grow up with a lot of money. As an adult, I don't make that much money. Even if I won the lottery and became a multimillionaire overnight, I would never say something nasty about a person who can't afford a designer gown.

Their reaction kind of reminded me of the way some designers get pissy when they have to dress PR fans. The fans are the ones who keep the show on the air so that those designers can go on, get name recognition, and compete for prizes.

Having said that I wonder how this crop of designers would behave in the super fans makeover episode. Given that it seems like most of them have confessed that they don't know how to make dresses and gowns, I wonder if they'd act as snooty and high fashion. I'm guessing this crop of designers prefers to design for the average customer.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

Not to play conspiracy theorist, but, oh, what the heck, they deserve it:  quick, somebody hire a detective to find out which person(s) in production Amanda is BFF with or otherwise connected.  At this point I suspect even cats and dogs suspect there's something insanely fishy with the way Amanda's being treated this year.

It makes me sadder that Joan Rivers died today, since Joan would have torn Amanda's outfit to shreds on "Fashion Police" if any celeb had been stupid enough to actually wear it to a gala.  Yeah, Zac at least was right, but the Amanda-love from the other judges stinks like three-week-old baloney.

On a similar note, when I saw Nina's footbrace, my first thought was "oh, I guess she's been kicking orphans again."

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 21

I like Korina's coat and dress.  Maybe because it was so different from the others and not just another gown?  On the other hand, I do.not.get Amanda's jumpsuit/frumpy coat mess.  Didn't they flash back to the judges criticizing a similarly sewn sheer top?  Totally agree that Joan Rivers would have torn that outfit to shreds.  So ugly.  At least Zac didn't act like it was amazing.

• Love 5

What kind of pictures does Amanda have of the judges that is getting her all these undeservedly good marks? Granted, I think the idea of the jumpsuit wasn't a terrible one but that jacket thingie was really really stupid and awful looking. 

Also, did anybody catch Sean's face when they were raining compliments on Amanda's outfit. He had this look as if he was thinking "What the (bleep) are these judges on?!"

Kini had a good idea but terrible execution. I was kind of bummed to see him screw up so badly but I'm glad he didn't get eliminated. 

The one thing that bothered me about Korina's outfit is that the dress should've been in another color or the neckline should've been lower because you could hardly see the necklace. I thought the coat looked really cool but that dress was really just an afterthought. I think Sean would've won had he not won the two previous challenges. 

I also found myself liking Fade's and Sandhya's outfits too. 

Samantha had a bland but pretty dress. Her constant ongoing relationship with mediocrity was going to bite her in the ass eventually. 

• Love 3

Yes, the boobs were a mess but I still loved Kini's. He would have won if the boobs had worked out properly. I only liked Korina's after the coat was taken off. Ugh. Blanket material, how awful. And I hate the way Korina speaks, like she only uses her lower lip to talk, weird. It's hard to listen to her speak now. Sean's was indeed a snoozefest, didn't Princess Diana wear that in the early 90's? I did agree with Samantha's looking like something an assistant would wear. I always chuckle when I watch red carpet shows, there are all the stars, then there are these anonymous looking women who look way frumpier than anyone else--are they all PR people?

• Love 3

Also, it's a pet peeve of mine when people don't pronounce "jewelry" correctly. Char pronounced it like "jury" and I also hate when someone pronounces it "jew-la-ree."

It is for me, too, and the mispronunciation has become so rampant!  How hard is it to correctly pronounce "jewelry"?

But on another note--can someone please explain to me the Fade love? His designs are very run of the mill and honestly nothing special.

I'm a bit stymied by that, too.  I think everything he's put down the runway has been good and wearable, but... ordinary.  The only exception, for me, was last week's design, and that was because of the fabric manipulation rather than the style of the dress itself.  His design this week couldn't have been more seen-that, done-that.  I'd wear his clothes, but they're not breaking any new ground.

Was I the only person insulted when Nina dissed Samantha's dress as being something that a PR intern would wear? I think Heidi followed it up with a star's assistant. They're such snobs. I was put off by that comment.

I was insulted too, on behalf of all PR interns and non-"important people" everywhere, and that's most of the world to Nina Garcia.

• Love 2

I do not get this jumpsuit craze.  It's okay if one is actually, ya know, jumping out of a plane or is an astronaut.  But what sensible adult would wear one, let alone to a gala?  Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm human and have to use the bathroom now and again.  If I'm going to the Met Ball, I'm not gonna get all done up and then have to nearly completely disrobe in the public bathroom after a couple glasses of champagne then get redressed in there. Yuck.  This is where I miss Joanna Coles from All Stars.  She was amazing at pointing out practicalities of garments.

I was OK with Samantha going home because she's been completely unnoticeable this season, but I'd be equally okay with Alexander going.  My theory on why he's fan fav every week is that there's some algorithm out there picking the first person, alphabetically, on the designer list.  Much like how Pawnee elected it's school board (Parks & Rec book ref, if you are unfamiliar). ;)

• Love 8

I am extremely pissed. Comcast changed the description for Project Runway to Lifetime Programming so it didn't record. I realized this at about 10:15 & saw that a repeat of the episode was scheduled for 10:30, so I set it to record. I just started to watch when the first thing that they show is the end of Project Runway so now I know who was eliminated, but instead of showing the show again, something called Girlfriend Intervention is on. WTF Comcast? This really pisses me off.

• Love 6

If I see Tim fake his "I'm such a great guy" cry one more time I may lose it. Is he trying to make up for Under the Gunn or something? I seriously had a hard time paying attention after his whole <sniffle> <sniffle> "void in my heart" thing.  I was glad to see Char back, but Tim milking it ticked me off to the point I had to shut the whole show off. (sucks because I used to like Tim but Under the Gunn killed it for me and I can't buy him as sincere anymore)

I have now left the show off for awhile and trying to watch it again after fast-forwarding past Tim's BS. Hopefully the rest of the episode is good. From the posts here so far I'm hopeful it will be. :)

• Love 4

I'm on a different service provider and noticed that the guide didn't match what aired from 10:30 to midnight. I checked my TV Guide app, and while I can't go back in time for earlier this evening, it shows that a replay of "Chopard" started at 2:32 a.m. Lifetime says "Girlfriend Intervention" is on again, which is correct. I suspect Lifetime either gave carriers and other media outlets the wrong programming information, or made a last minute switcheroo.

I just checked TVGuide.com & it show "Chopard" is repeating at 1:02 AND 2:32, so who knows when it's really repeating. I guess I'll just record everything.