Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Unable to Locate

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

166566_0043-900x0.jpg

When the GBI discovers that a neo-Nazi organization is planning an attack, they prioritize the case to protect innocent people; Angie faces a potentially life-changing scenario and investigates a sneaker release gone wrong with Ormewood.

Air Date: Tuesday, February 21, 2023      10pm     ABC
166566_0302-900x0.jpg
166423_4784-900x0.jpg

• Useful 1

This show just keeps getting better.  Will and Angie’s history is so sad, and with her only 62 days clean… no way they can be together the way he wants.  

Ormwood is getting some depth now too.  And the boss’s face when she found out Will was missing…wow.  

Oh, and his full name is Wilbur, lol.  

• Like 20
  • Useful 2

Ha, we were just talking about how it might be too soon to give Nico their own plots when Ormewood has gotten no characterization, and then whammo, a whole lot of Ormewood characterization in the very next episode! Very cool.

Great episode, although once again, I don't think they QUITE got some of the logistics done, plot-wise, with there really not being a good enough reason for why Will wasn't discovered in the truck. They pushed that a bit too far, credulity-wise. I don't know exactly how they could have made it more believable, but they should have done so.  

But everything else in the episode was NOTE PERFECT. Such strong writing otherwise, and the acting was outstanding. The expressiveness, the subtly, the whole "We don't have to spell out every emotion everyone has as our faces can do it" stuff is so great. And the casting of young Will and Angie was so good that it was practically like they used CGI to de-age Rodriguez and Christensen! 

• Like 20
  • Love 2

Ironically I decided against watching The Rookie first (recorded both) because it was about taking down a militia. So I had to laugh when Will Trent's story of the week had to do with a militia.

But that aside, it was a great episode with great acting. And great casting for the young Will and Angie.

Though I must say, Ormewood saying he had his rage under control wasn't exactly true, given that he'd just had a rage attack. But he's working on it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

This may be a case of TVLand and you roll with it, which I am totally okay with. How did the GBI know where to find Will and save the day? I feel like I missed something. 

Faith was able to get the co-worker to tell where the guns got taken to.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I can't believe that Betty has a ramp that allows her choose whether to get into Will's bed or her own bed.

I ramped my bed for an aging cat who could no longer jump, so I believe it! 

In every scene where Angie thinks Betty hates her, the dog is wagging her tail and showing all the dog body language for enthusiastic loving this person. I can't tell if they are deliberately directing the dog and Erika C to act that way, and the point is that Angie is paranoid about being rejected, or if the dog just can't contain herself so they hope the audience doesn't know dog body language.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
26 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I ramped my bed for an aging cat who could no longer jump, so I believe it! 

In every scene where Angie thinks Betty hates her, the dog is wagging her tail and showing all the dog body language for enthusiastic loving this person. I can't tell if they are deliberately directing the dog and Erika C to act that way, and the point is that Angie is paranoid about being rejected, or if the dog just can't contain herself so they hope the audience doesn't know dog body language.

I’ve read that dogs get so excited at doing a good job, the tail just won’t stop wagging…when they play wolves or mean dogs either they have to film them so the tail doesn’t show or CGI a new one.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4

Like with a lot of the episodes, the actual cases of the week were just fine. The logistics were confusing and you could pretty much see where everything was going, but that didn't matter to me because the rest was so good. The cases really existed to explore the characters and that's where this show really shines. It was a great showcase for the entire cast, everyone got some good moments of character development and time to shine, and the actors all continue to be excellent. Especially Bella, who's still the goodest girl. 

Loved the Will and Angie flashbacks, the actors playing their young selves looked very convincingly like the older actors and did a great job with their scenes. Its so sad how much they have both been through and how much awful stuff has happened to them, but at least they always have each other. Them both ruminating on having kids alone and together was really interesting, being worried about the idea of having kids and not treating them well versus liking the idea of raising a child together as a team. I feel like its inevitable that Angie might have a relapse, being only a few months sober, and that is going to be rough. 

Ormewood is still my leave favorite character but this did make me a lot more interested in him. He isn't all that likable, but its not a flaw in the writing not the character, which makes me like him a lot more. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Not only did the younger actors look like a younger Will and Angie, they sounded like them… especially the guy who played young Will. 

The Faith and Will banter remains top notch.  Also that awkward hug after his rescue was great.

I get why Amanda is invested and has a personal relation ship with Faith but she also has a major soft spot for Will.  Feels more than just a commanding officer who respects and is invested in their subordinate.  She was visibly shaken and distraught by his disappearance. So I want to know more about their back story.

The way Will said “Babs’ every time  he spoke to Bars tickled me for some reason.  Also, the fact that Babs just wanted to get to her pole dance class until shit got real also tickled me.

Man, I have not heard cheap sneakers referred to as ‘bobos’ in a minute!  When we were kids, that was a legit insult and quite shameful if your footwear was called out as being bobos and not a named brand.

I dislike Ormewood, but I also appreciate that the show is showing the  kind of cop that he is.  Most cop shows have their POV cops of the "And justice will prevail and I will work this case with a burning fervor to bring the bad guy in" at all costs type of cop.  Or what on the Wire they referred to as "good po-lice" and what Trevor Noah calls Copaganda.   But Ormewood is the type of cop who does a  convenient, expedient type police work which may or may not lead to to justice.  Oh he may get a bad guy off the street, but it may not necessarily be the guy who committed the crime that he is currently investigating and he doesn't care.  From the moment that woman basically laser pointed him to a person who she didn't like and was inconvenient to her business and he just fell in with her plan because she had something on him, it spoke of sort of a lazy, work-a-day type of corruption that is likely more common than not.  So yeah, I appreciate that we are seeing that and especially because it is coming from a main character that they are not trying to make out to be evil, per se.

• Like 19
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I also thought Angie's reaction to Ormewood was very interesting from a character point of view.

She is not a lazy cop. She is really in it for the justice and will put herself out to get it.

But when Ormewood explained himself to her, she kind of accepted it, and even showed him some sympathy-- even though he threw a mug past her head and totally exploded at her earlier and was undermining her own police work.

She identifies with him, and is not triggered by his rages. I don't think she realizes she's not as much of a fuck up as she thinks she is, and she held him accountable in this case by not letting him bury the evidence she uncovered. But she didn't turn him in, either. 

I love how this show develops its characters.

• Like 18

When Will’s voice broke when he said “You make this impossible sometimes. Ang” my heart really broke for him. It must have been hard for both of them with all that past baggage and their on/off relationship, and then he’s trying to be there for her and she throws it in his face that it may not be his baby just to push him away. Sounds exhausting.

Great case. Continuing to love this show and all the layers that the characters have. 

• Like 18
21 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Ha, we were just talking about how it might be too soon to give Nico their own plots

I wish they'd been at least been mentioned. They're actually the first person I wondered about when Will found the pregnancy test since they don't really have a safe place to take one. Angie must have an apartment somewhere.

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Not only did the younger actors look like a younger Will and Angie, they sounded like them… especially the guy who played young Will.

I kept wondering if they'd had the adult actors dub their younger counterparts. Angie especially (I forgot to pay attention to Will's accent).

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I dislike Ormewood, but I also appreciate that the show is showing the  kind of cop that he is.  Most cop shows have their POV cops of the "And justice will prevail and I will work this case with a burning fervor to bring the bad guy in" at all costs type of cop.  Or what on the Wire they referred to as "good po-lice" and what Trevor Noah calls Copaganda.   But Ormewood is the type of cop who does a  convenient, expedient type police work which may or may not lead to to justice.  Oh he may get a bad guy off the street, but it may not necessarily be the guy who committed the crime that he is currently investigating and he doesn't care.  From the moment that woman basically laser pointed him to a person who she didn't like and was inconvenient to her business and he just fell in with her plan because she had something on him, it spoke of sort of a lazy, work-a-day type of corruption that is likely more common than not.  So yeah, I appreciate that we are seeing that and especially because it is coming from a main character that they are not trying to make out to be evil, per se.

I like this too. With everything that's happened in the last few years, I've become much more sensitive and aware of copoganda (yes, I've been on the privileged side when it comes to law enforcement) so it's nice to see a show be so matter-of-fact and disapproving of bad police work. It goes along with how they've portrayed all of the cops who blame Will for rooting out corruption in their ranks. Most shows would present Will as the bad guy, coming in to take down the police who were just doing their jobs.

I hope they deal more with Ormewood's anger issues. The fact that he beat a suspect as badly as he did and didn't realize he'd crossed the line until he saw video is not great. And then he let himself be blackmailed over it instead of taking steps to keep it from happening again.

• Like 7

Just chiming in to say how much I am loving this show - what an unexpected gem in an ocean of streaming crime drama possibilities! This last episode was especially wonderful in putting two complete criminal investigations inside a circle of deep character development amongst all the principals. Really impressive!

• Like 7
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, akg said:

I wish they'd been at least been mentioned. They're actually the first person I wondered about when Will found the pregnancy test since they don't really have a safe place to take one. Angie must have an apartment somewhere.

I thought of Nico first too.   I think Angie unwrapped the test in Will’s home because she consciously or unconsciously wanted him to find it.  She’s scared and he is her safe place.  She knows that if she lashes out, he understands where it is coming from and will forgive her.    She has to know, though, that there might come a time where she pushes to long and hard and he has to protect himself. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

Adorable Betty in her adorable sweater.  But i was thinking this is Atlanta, does it get chilly?   I want more Will and Betty so I was okay with Nico not being in the episode.  I didn't think about her when they showed the pregnancy test.  I like Angie left it for Will to find though she blamed Betty.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, isalicat said:

Just chiming in to say how much I am loving this show - what an unexpected gem in an ocean of streaming crime drama possibilities! This last episode was especially wonderful in putting two complete criminal investigations inside a circle of deep character development amongst all the principals. Really impressive!

I totally agree with this. I had been looking forward to this show anyway after discovering and tearing through the book series during the pandemic, and while there are ways in which the show's vibe is different, I'm really enjoying it. I'm liking the nuances in the development of characters I know from the books. I appreciate how the show is developing Will's relationships with the various characters - Angie, Faith, Amanda, Nico, and Betty. It's one of the few shows I genuinely look forward to seeing each week, and I'm hoping the back half the season (is there confirmation anywhere of how many episodes we'll get?) will remain strong. 

Edited by metaphor
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, SharonH58 said:

I want more Will and Betty so I was okay with Nico not being in the episode.  I didn't think about her when they showed the pregnancy test. 

Nico uses they/them pronouns.

The young Will actor was mimicking RR's weird accent so perfectly lol. I didn't think the young Angie actor was as good at mimicking EC at first but she ended up doing a fantastic job, too.

Faith awkwardly hugging Will, young Angie and Will resting their heads on each other, Will's recording, and Amanda's reaction to Will being missing and him being back all nearly broke me. So good!

• Like 13
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

The young Will actor was mimicking RR's weird accent so perfectly lol. I didn't think the young Angie actor was as good at mimicking EC at first but she ended up doing a fantastic job, too.

The young Angie was good and believable as young Angie, but the young Will was uncanny with his voice and even the expression on his face.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I like the women's fashion on this show.

When Amanda came sweeping into Will’s house wearing that gorgeous cape I had heart eyes. I also liked Angie’s woven (I think) sweater, and from last week, Faith’s green coat. And of course Betty’s sweater ❤️

• Like 5
On 2/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, Clanstarling said:

Ironically I decided against watching The Rookie first (recorded both) because it was about taking down a militia. So I had to laugh when Will Trent's story of the week had to do with a militia.

Lol! I haven’t watched The Rookie yet, but I groaned when I saw militia in the description of this episode. But Betty overrides pretty much any potentially annoying plot. Honestly, the whole show rises above. Betty got me to watch, but I really enjoy the show. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The young Angie was good and believable as young Angie, but the young Will was uncanny with his voice and even the expression on his face.  

Yes! They were so good that I’m hoping we get more flashbacks. I almost thought (like other posters) that they dubbed the current actors’ voices with the teen actors, but even their mannerisms were perfect. Great casting.

• Like 9

The CAOTW were weak, but the episode wasn't really about that. Ormewood finally got some depth and finally admitted his rage issues. Will and Angie have a toxic Co dependency relationship, but will they ever truly admit it?  You can love someone without being with them.  The kid actors were perfect casting. 

Edited by Simba122504
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

When Amanda came sweeping into Will’s house wearing that gorgeous cape I had heart eyes. I also liked Angie’s woven (I think) sweater, and from last week, Faith’s green coat. And of course Betty’s sweater ❤️

I have been loving the outfitting - but do have to wonder a bit about all these capes and sweaters, and coats, etc. in Georgia? I know they have a "winter" season, but I'll be looking to see if we ever see summer clothing (which is about 9-10 months out of the year in Georgia) on this cast.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, monakane said:

I think we need to include Betty in the top 5 list of tv dogs.  In no particular order, Lassie, Betty, Eddie from Frazier, Jim from Mike and Molly, and Snoopy.

I’d add Harold from All My Children.  Great dog back in the 80s?   Had his own story lines including a road trip adventure where he helped people along the way while making he way back to Pine Valley to prevent a wedding to an imposter.  When they decided to age the boy who owned him and send the kid to college some idiot had the brilliant idea to do a story line on Harold getting sick and dying.  The show got the most hate mail in its history for that decision.   And fun fact. The dog lived in Florida and used to fly first class to NYC a couple of times a month to film his scenes.  .  

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Regarding Betty and her sweater.  I had a small dachshund and she was cold all the time.  She stayed under a cover quite frequently. Even in summer.   Betty is probably cold natured too. As for the ramp. My Hayley once tore her acl running up and down a ramp like a heathen.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

We have watched all the episodes and are enjoying them.  Live in metro Atlanta, and yes it does get cold enough for a coat now and then especially with no sun and if there is wind.  We have had two hard freezes recently and a lot of just cold weather.  Haven't read the books so nothing to compare to.  

Is it just us or does the voice of the actress who plays Amanda fade into nothing at the end of her sentences?  Have to used CC to read what she is supposed to be saying.  Is she like this in other roles?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Is it just us or does the voice of the actress who plays Amanda fade into nothing at the end of her sentences?  Have to used CC to read what she is supposed to be saying.  Is she like this in other roles?

I have noticed it's hard to hear all of what Amanda says as well, with the fade off at the end.  I can't be bothered to rewind though and I don't know the actress from anything else.

• Like 1

This was my favorite episode to date. The flashback scenes were fantastic. And the harsh reality (today) that this is going on nation wide….friends helping friends to get to states where they can get health care. Chilling and not lost on me. 

I kind of hand waved the plot hole of the bad guys not knowing Will was in the truck because the rest of the episode was stellar TV. Plus….”I wanted to show you how much you cost us” was a great line.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Just started watching this show on Hulu because I ran out of other things to watch and am actually surprised how good it actually is.  I really like how deeply and darkly flawed all the characters are and how well written it is into the plot.  Will and Angie are so deeply damaged and yet they care about each other in a way that is very real.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Late to the party and binge watching to make up for it. The two younger actors were sensational and did just an uncanny version of the current Angie and Will. I was blown away. 

Terrific show so far. The writing and acting are top notch. 

I saw that Lea Thompson directed at least one of the episodes. Her husband, Howie Deutsch, is one of the producers. 

I don't watch much network television so I really hope that this gets renewed. High quality work. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

On 2/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, Clanstarling said:

Though I must say, Ormewood saying he had his rage under control wasn't exactly true, given that he'd just had a rage attack. But he's working on it.

I didn't find it realistic that he would get so angry in conversation with a co-worker as to throw something hard at her, and have it shatter, and no supervisor comes out to see what has happened.  With workplace violence receiving far more attention than it used to, and with police departments being under the microscope, I would have thought this incident would have repercussions for Ormewood.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:16 PM, DearEvette said:

To me it was the younger Angie who blew me away. Her speech cadence was identical to adult Angie.

• Like 3