Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot; S01.E02: The Nighthawks

Bort
  • Start Topic

Judge Abby Stone follows in the footsteps of her late father Judge Harry Stone as she takes over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court. When the court finds itself in need of a public defender, Abby sees potential in an unlikely candidate from her father’s past: former night court prosecutor Dan Fielding.

Abby pushes Dan Fielding to embrace his new role as public defender. Neil gets on board with Abby's quest to improve the courtroom and quickly realizes why trying is for the birds.

Airdate: January 17, 2023

If they throw jokes like the "emotional support gun" in every week, Im in. I loved what John Larroquette has morphed into. The man brings complex comedic chops. It's better than I thought it was and the cast has potential.  Still, was hoping to get a Max or Christine shout out.

Also, my memory is hazy of the finale but were Harry and Dan involved with relationships at the finale? I never thought of Dan as a "she's the love of my life" type....So, to hear he got married and then sort of slid down to "process server" instead of the judge he wanted to be surprised me a bit.

• Like 7

2 episodes of the new \t reboot and I don't hate it. It is still a little rough in places (especially the pilot which was awkward but most pilots are)  but then I thought the original was rough in places as well during the first two episodes. Like the original it has heart and soul and alot of potential to be a fun light comedy.   Except for Dan and Abby I couldn't tell you the names of any of the characters but I think that is to be expected but I like most of them which is a good sign.  I don't mind the laugh track.   Shows like this have a laugh track.  They just do.   I am not a huge fan of comedies but this may be one I will keep on my DVR and since there isn't much yet on Tuesdays for me to watch I may even watch live.    

• Like 2

Oof, I did not find this very funny. The only things I found even slightly amusing was the running joke about the birds in the ceiling and the Golden Girls mural at the end. Bright side, the only direction to go is up.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I never saw the original but had heard so many good things about it that I was really looking forward to this.

But I hated it.

The laugh track is TOO LOUD.

And nothing about it makes any sense. I know that tv shows about the law are always totally inaccurate, but what the hell?

I really want to like it but I really didn't.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

I’m liking it so far. Melissa isn’t quite at the level of Harry Anderson, but she seems to hold her own. At least she can use her real voice now, for which I am very grateful

Don’t real night courts just work in the buildings and rooms as the day shift? If so, the falling down nature of the infrastructure doesn’t make sense

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

I’ll stick with this, because I’d watch John Larroquette in anything; plus, Melissa is always appealing, and I like her chem with her Clerk of the Court.

I expect that we’ll learn the fates of Christine & co. gradually; I was fine with not having a “Where Are They Now?” shoved at me in the premiere.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Also, my memory is hazy of the finale but were Harry and Dan involved with relationships at the finale? I never thought of Dan as a "she's the love of my life" type....So, to hear he got married   ................ surprised me a bit.

Neither Harry or Dan were involved in any relationship at the end.   Harry spent the final season teaching law at a night school and in the finale decided to quit being a court judge and focus on teaching full time.   Dan announced that he too was quitting being an ADA and was going to pursue Christine to Albany (Christine had just received a government job at the state capital).  Oh, and Bull got abducted by aliens.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

then I thought the original was rough in places as well during the first two episodes.

Ha. It wasn't just the first two episodes of the original. The original went through so many changes in the first two/three seasons before it stabilized.

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

John Larroquette looks like David Letterman with the big beard. 

Yes.  SO much so that it was bothering me that no one made a joke about it.

Overall, I thought it was both rough and promising but it has been ages since I thought a comedy, especially a "filmed in front of a live studio audience" started great from its first episode.  The fact that I had some genuine smiles and laughs was a bonus.

I think the first episode had the most natural jokes. I'm actually a little sad that the first public defender quit because my first laugh of the episode was "I should not be what 30 looks like."

The second episode had some good stuff too but I think they shouldn't have kept Dan as still not wanting to be there as a plot point after going what we went through in the pilot.  It was too much for an hour-long episode.

It's going to be weird seeing Dan as the defender instead of the prosecutor. 

I can't remember all of the characters' names but I do like all of them and feel they have good definition.  Exposition usually is lazy but I like the way they did it via use of the psychic.  I thought that was clever.  The only one who isn't quite landing for me is the bailiff.  I get why they wouldn't want another character exactly like Roz but I'm not quite buying the flightiness from this bailiff.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I never saw the original but had heard so many good things about it that I was really looking forward to this.

But I hated it.

The laugh track is TOO LOUD.

And nothing about it makes any sense. I know that tv shows about the law are always totally inaccurate, but what the hell?

I really want to like it but I really didn't.

yeah, in order to prove fraud, someone has to be injured.  And if there's no public defender, the judge can't just render a verdict unless the defendants waive their rights, which they can't do without representation, so....

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Neither Harry or Dan were involved in any relationship at the end.   Harry spent the final season teaching law at a night school and in the finale decided to quit being a court judge and focus on teaching full time.   Dan announced that he too was quitting being an ADA and was going to pursue Christine to Albany (Christine had just received a government job at the state capital).  Oh, and Bull got abducted by aliens.

Harry changed his mind in the end and decided to stay at the night court. Christine had been elected to Congress and was moving to DC, so that's where Dan was following her to.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought it was an amusing old school "comfort food" type sitcom that one can  enjoy without thinking too much. It did make me feel a bit sad and nostalgic though.

I hope they give this a chance to settle. 

Just how I felt. I missed Harry Anderson, so that brought in the sadness. God, I loved that guy! I didn't watch the original religiously, but I did watch it. Overall, I enjoyed this, it was "comforting" and I had did laugh in parts. And I love John Larroquette. I miss The Librarians, he was awesome in that, so it is good to have him back. 

I hope they give this a chance because I want to keep watching it. 

• Like 14

The first 2 episodes of the new version are out. I gave it a chance, but it was a bad choice. The jokes are extremely poorly written. The cast is not particularly likeable. It did not even make me smile once and it's more annoying than entertaining to watch.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I’m liking it so far. Melissa isn’t quite at the level of Harry Anderson, but she seems to hold her own. At least she can use her real voice now, for which I am very grateful

Don’t real night courts just work in the buildings and rooms as the day shift? If so, the falling down nature of the infrastructure doesn’t make sense

Have you ever been inside 100 Centre Street?  It's not exactly falling down but not fancy either.  However, the arraignment court would probably be in a larger courtroom, not a small one.  The outside of the building they show is 60 Centre Street, the one they always use for Law and Order, but the Criminal Court building is 100 Centre, up the next block.  It has no dramatic staircase in the front.

I watched a couple of the early episodes on Freevee, and it wasn't the greatest, but I always loved Harry.  I was surprised to see Michael J. Fox on episode 2 when he was already a star in Family Ties.  Stunt casting?  Done with little fanfare. 

I liked Melissa's takedown of the carny/psychic, and it also would have been something she'd have learned from Harry. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TheOtherOne said:

The original is available free on Amazon's freevee service. I rewatched it early in the pandemic and while it was uneven and went on too long, it was still a solid show and I enjoyed it.

I just rewatched the first five minutes of the original pilot, and it was just so much better written and performed than this.

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Court-Complete-First-Season/dp/B0053ATLUC

I actually rewatched the first two episodes right before the remake and thought they had the exact same feel to them.  Almost exactly.   A new judge.  An exasperated overwhelmed courtroom used to the way things were spooked by the young bright faced new judge but still can’t help but get caught up in the new hope.   The only thing different is that Dan is older now and even more misanthropic.  I think it was a good idea making him the public defender because he has given up on the world and Abby making him defend people he was happy to throw in prison before for his own career aspirations is a good move for a new show.   

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha. It wasn't just the first two episodes of the original. The original went through so many changes in the first two/three seasons before it stabilized.

I was trying to be nice.  Mostly.  Plus I just found the original on Freevee and just watches episode 2 which was a little better then episode 1 and season 1 gets steadily better after that but the show does have a lot of cast turnover for….reasons.  Season 4 is when it stabilizes and goes on from there until it gets long in the tooth like all shows do when they have been on for too long.  

But OG night Court had a good few years with a regular cast before it did and I can see the hint of that here.  Whether they can capitalize on it is another story.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 3

I’ll watch for the shoutouts to the original series.  So far I’m not a fan of the actress playing the DA and the clerk is a very blah character. One of the best parts of the original series was the back and forth between Harry and Mac.

The relationship between Abby and Dan is another reason to watch.  I like the idea that Dan took the job to look out for Harry’s daughter.  

• Like 7

I didn’t hate this. I think we need a few episodes to get into a groove, but for the most part the show was enjoyable. The secondary cast wasn’t too annoying, though I’m curious about the new ADA. I hope we get more insight into Dan and Abby’s pasts (possible children for Dan and Abby’s boyfriend). 

Mostly, I hope that NBC gives the show a chance. The networks get too cancel happy if a show doesn’t take off immediately rather than let it build an audience. 

• Like 9
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The only one who isn't quite landing for me is the bailiff.  I get why they wouldn't want another character exactly like Roz but I'm not quite buying the flightiness from this bailiff.

Yeah I found all that pretty annoying.

The key-dropping was funny though. If Dan is going to be messing with her on a regular basis, I might be able to tolerate her.

• Like 8

As a fan of the original, I’ve been looking forward to this. It was rough , but most sitcoms are early on. The second episode was better than the first, so that’s a good sign for me. I feel like they need another cast member though. Maybe another bailiff or make the court reporter a regular.  

As a criminal defense attorney, I tend to avoid law shows now. (Much like many doctors avoid medical shows, and world famous detectives avoid Agatha Christie style who-dobe-its.) But this is just so far from reality that I’m able to hand wave it. Hopefully that does not get too hard in future eps.  

• Like 2

I actually did enjoy it.

Missed opportunity they could have had Dan's deceased wife be Christine and he would honour her by being the defense.  That would have given closure for Christine's character and moved the story along. 

I'll stick around. 

• Like 9
  • Love 8

Especially surprising as Markie Post has passed away so it isn’t like they are saving the character to return in a very special episode in the future. 

I am in for John Laroquette but I thought the show had potential, also. 

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Missed opportunity they could have had Dan's deceased wife be Christine and he would honour her by being the defense.  That would have given closure for Christine's character and moved the story along. 

Christine and Dan did not end up together.   I will die on that hill.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

I actually did enjoy it.

I'll stick around. 

Did they actually say that Dan's wife was deceased?  I was trying to pay attention and all I caught was an exchange along the lines of "are you married?"/"I used to be." Did I miss something more definite?  I'm not sure if that would make any difference story-wise but I guess it could.

15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did they actually say that Dan's wife was deceased?  I was trying to pay attention and all I caught was an exchange along the lines of "are you married?"/"I used to be." Did I miss something more definite?  I'm not sure if that would make any difference story-wise but I guess it could.

I thought they did. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I actually rewatched the first two episodes right before the remake and thought they had the exact same feel to them.  Almost exactly.   A new judge.  An exasperated overwhelmed courtroom used to the way things were spooked by the young bright faced new judge but still can’t help but get caught up in the new hope.   The only thing different is that Dan is older now and even more misanthropic.  I think it was a good idea making him the public defender because he has given up on the world and Abby making him defend people he was happy to throw in prison before for his own career aspirations is a good move for a new show.   

I could be prejudiced considering the original Night Court is my favorite show ever and Dan Fielding my favorite character ever, but there is no actor that can mix comedy and humanity/pathos better than John Larroquette. That's why Dan (IMO) was such a great character, because when Larroquette played the glimpses of humanity in Dan over the course of nine seasons, I'd get goosebumps, he was so good at it. There's lots of potential for more of that in this version, I think.

Mr. kirinan (my Night Court partner in crime from the very first original series broadcast) and I enjoyed both episodes last night, although we agreed it was a little rough. But we laughed out loud several times, and are ready to watch for however long the show lasts—which might be a while, considering that the ratings were some of NBC's best in a while. I miss the original cast, of course, but I actually liked the new supporting characters (except I agree the bailiff needs to tone it down). I like the character of Abby, but I think she also needs to tone down a bit, in her case the heavy-handed moralizing (I'm trying to think of a better word but it escapes me right now). Harry didn't seem quite so pushy. But I like Melissa Rauch so much I'm willing to be patient. 

Hey, if nothing else, Dan Fielding is back on my screen, so I am a happy camper.

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 9

I don't remember the dialogue exactly, except for the final line of the exchange (paraphrased except for the end):

Abby: "You've got a great place."

Dan: "My wife chose it for the view."

Abby: "She must be happy living here."

Dan: "She was."

The cues surrounding that last statement were sombre. So I definitely got the sense he was widowed, not separated or divorced. 

As to whether or not that turns out to have been Christine, we'll see. If he was following her to another city at the end of the original show, it wouldn't be unbelievable. And it would be a nice way to keep Markie Post in the DNA of the new show, not unlike Anderson has been woven in, with the new judge being his daughter.

As for Roz and Bull, the actors are still alive, so they might come back for the occasional cameo, which would be nice if it could happen.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Starchild said:

I don't remember the dialogue exactly, except for the final line of the exchange (paraphrased except for the end):

The cues surrounding that last statement were sombre. So I definitely got the sense he was widowed, not separated or divorced. 

As to whether or not that turns out to have been Christine, we'll see. If he was following her to another city at the end of the original show, it wouldn't be unbelievable. And it would be a nice way to keep Markie Post in the DNA of the new show, not unlike Anderson has been woven in, with the new judge being his daughter.

As for Roz and Bull, the actors are still alive, so they might come back for the occasional cameo, which would be nice if it could happen.

Thanks - that's the exchange I was trying to remember.  All I got right was the past tense.  But I do think the wife's name was mentioned at some point, and it wasn't Christine.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thanks - that's the exchange I was trying to remember.  All I got right was the past tense.  But I do think the wife's name was mentioned at some point, and it wasn't Christine.

I think it was Sarah. 

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it was Sarah. 

I believe so. I  know it wasn't Christine.

10 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Right away, I thought that she had passed. If she was happy living there, would she have left? 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I would love it if it turned out Dan’s wife was Christine.  The OG show tried desperately hard to ship Harry and Christine throughout but Christine and Dan was a fan OTP so having them ultimately get together even after the show ends would be cool.     Christine also has a kid out there somewhere.  So there is ALOT of room for cameos.   But I am glad the remake didn’t try to fit them all In the first two episodes.   There is an entire season for random cameos.   Heck I would love Brent Spinner to make an appearance.   

• Like 1

I would hate if they made Christine Dan's wife and killed her off. That would absolutely suck. Just because the actress is dead doesn't mean the character has to be. I don't need closure. Let Christine be happily living her life off-camera (Mac too).

I thought I'd read that Marsha Warfield hadn't been approached to come back, but she apparently had some supportive things to say about the show and wished everyone the best, so she would likely be open to it if they did approach her:

https://tvline.com/2023/01/18/night-court-revival-marsha-warfield-roz-reaction-video/

Ten years ago Richard Moll said there was no way he'd be involved in a reunion. Would he feel the same about a scripted reboot a decade later? (I thought I'd read he'd turned them down, but like the above, I can't find a link.)

https://www.tmz.com/2013/01/23/night-court-richard-moll-no-reunion-video/

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Like 1

Abby is far too perky, and the show too preachy, for me.  The humor of the original was dry wit, with a few "yucks" here and there.  And  Larroquette is so good com pared to the rest of the cast, that makes them even more amateurish than they would be otherwise.

I'm out.