Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

Frank Pembleton was an all-timer character in an all-timer series, and as far as I was concerned, Andre Braugher could do no wrong.

The man was pure electricity, and even if he wasn’t speaking in a scene: you were watching him, just to see how he’d react.  One of my favorite things he ever did was Men of a Certain Age with Ray Romano & Scott Bakula.  They were comic chemistry in action.

Awwwwww hell.

Good night, Sweet Prince.

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 8
  • Sad 3
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, voiceover said:

One of my favorite things he ever did was Men of a Certain Age with Ray Romano & Scott Bakula.  They were comic chemistry in action.

THIS!!  I'm bitter to this day of the cancellation.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

And only 61???  I wonder what happened, if it was sudden or if he had been ill.  

His publicist said his death followed a brief illness.

I never watched his most-famous roles, but loved everything about him in the ones I did see.  So natural and compelling at the same time.  Damn.  Just 61, and during the holiday season -- my heart goes out to his family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

I was reading some of the tributes posted about Andre Braugher and Marc Evan Jackson, who played his husband Kevin on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, posted a picture of Andre hugging him with the caption, "O Captain. My Captain."  That was the one that hit me.  

I'd been thinking of doing a re-watch of BNN in the new year; it's definitely happening now.  I think there needs to be an "In Memoriam" streaming service, carrying all the work of the recently departed.  Too often I hear of the death of an actor whose work I enjoyed and think I have to re-watch her series or catch his movies, only to discover they either are not streaming or are on some service I don't subscribe to.    

• Like 11
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

I was reading some of the tributes posted about Andre Braugher and Marc Evan Jackson, who played his husband Kevin on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, posted a picture of Andre hugging him with the caption, "O Captain. My Captain."  That was the one that hit me.  

I saw that, too. Aw. 

"Brooklyn 99" is the only work of his I've seen, but yeah, he was great on there, and he clearly had a hell of a career in general and was so beloved. Such awful news. I'm glad people have so many fond memories and great performances of his to treasure. 

• Like 7

I was a teen in the '90s, and honestly, I did not think then nor now that 90s TV was any good. There were a few well-done shows. Homicide was one of the few and has remained in my top 10 ever since. This was in no small part due to Braugher. RIP.

• Like 8
  • Love 4

This one hurts so bad. What a talented actor. I first paid attention to his role in Glory where some said he gave a better supporting performance than Denzel. He was also great in another favorite of mine, Frequency. But of course there will never be another like Frank Pembleton in "the box" with a suspect turning red names black. What an awesome character. And so much love for Raymond Holt. I could just go on. Such a talent. He will be missed.

Edited by jah1986
spelling error
  • Like 11
  • Love 3

I am truly shocked and was not expecting this when I opened this thread. Such an amazing actor and his portrayal of Captain Holt is truly one of the funniest characters I have ever seen on TV.

RIP Mr. Braugher. 

• Like 9
44 minutes ago, festivus said:

I am truly shocked and was not expecting this when I opened this thread. Such an amazing actor and his portrayal of Captain Holt is truly one of the funniest characters I have ever seen on TV.

RIP Mr. Braugher. 

Same. It’s been a long time since a celebrity death hit me like this. He was so brilliant as Captain Holt. 

2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I adored Denzel's Oscar-winning performance as Trip in Glory, but Andre's understated Thomas was no less masterful. 💔

7436b85d-aea8-4548-aa96-d8e171de20eb_tex

I do love the movie Glory. Thomas broke my heart. The way he whooped in joy when he took down his first soldier on the Fort Wagner siege, and when he gets wounded and they try to help him he screams at them to leave him 😭😭😭😭😭

I think that whole subplot kept it from being too “white savior” since Robert had to come to terms with his own prejudice in how he related better to Thomas, who grew up with him, then the older soldiers that didn’t have the same privileged background. But thats just me.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Most celebrity deaths don't really hit me but Andre Braugher totally did. This past year I rewatched Brooklyn 99 and my kids watched it for the first time. They loved Holt and Cheddar. I also watched all of Homicide sometime around 2005 on DVD, he is an amazing actor. 

It's also crazy that Braugher and Richard Belzer died the same year. I hope Giancarlo Esposito is taking care of himself.

• Like 14
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AstridM said:

Is there any way to post the picture here? I can’t see it and won’t use Xitter.

I tried but either only the text would copy or a message appeared saying:“Embedded tweet”. Maybe a more tech savvy poster can do it. Do you have JavaScript turned off? If so, turn it on, refresh, and see if the full message appears. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, AstridM said:

Is there any way to post the picture here? I can’t see it and won’t use Xitter.

Just a picture of that tweet? I am not tech savvy but I usually post pictures by doing a snip. Xitter plays hot and cold with me about what I can see but this one was visible for some reason.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

"…actor Andre Braugher died from lung cancer a few months after he was diagnosed with the disease, his representative said Thursday.…"

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

It must have been pretty far gone if they describe it as a “short illness.”

Yeah. I was close to his age when I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I had almost no symptoms. If I'd had a lump checked even a couple of weeks later, it would've already gone to my lungs and that would have been the end. As it was I had a 14% chance.
So, when they said Andre Braugher died "after a short illness," I just hoped he did not suffer much. There are many reasons he might not have been diagnosed in time. So sad. 
Hopefully at the end he was satisfied with the body of work he left behind and did not have too many regrets of unfulfilled visions for new work.
Of course, he would regret leaving behind family.
😞

• Like 1
  • Hugs 13
  • Sad 4
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Just a picture of that tweet? I am not tech savvy but I usually post pictures by doing a snip. Xitter plays hot and cold with me about what I can see but this one was visible for some reason.

image.png

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

"…actor Andre Braugher died from lung cancer a few months after he was diagnosed with the disease, his representative said Thursday.…"

Yeah. I was close to his age when I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I had almost no symptoms. If I'd had a lump checked even a couple of weeks later, it would've already gone to my lungs and that would have been the end. As it was I had a 14% chance.
So, when they said Andre Braugher died "after a short illness," I just hoped he did not suffer much. There are many reasons he might not have been diagnosed in time. So sad. 
Hopefully at the end he was satisfied with the body of work he left behind and did not have too many regrets of unfulfilled visions for new work.
Of course, he would regret leaving behind family.
😞

In a country with over 30 million uninsured citizens, imagine how many people don’t find out until it’s much too late 🥲. So glad you caught it. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

My aunt died of lung cancer and it was 3 weeks from diagnosis until death. What I recall learning at the time was that was not uncommon, that symptoms often didn't present until stage 4. This was 10 years ago though, and I know there has been work done since to identify earlier (at least in Ontario they were working on it bc it peripherally came to my awareness as part of my job). 

Not a health care worker though, I just worked for a health care organization at the time where a lot of research was done 

--- Such a shame about Matthew Perry but I'm still a bit confused about how to interpret that. Either way, a tragedy.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
On 12/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, MissAlmond said:

I’m shocked at the death of Andre Braugher. R.I.P. and may the angels take him into paradise.

I still can’t believe he’s gone.  I was obsessed with homicide, when I was a teenager, because of him.  I haven’t seen Brooklyn 99, but I’ll have to watch it.  

• Like 10

Yikes; I have a friend for whom ketamine is pretty much the last remaining treatment option for depression, so news of Perry's COD is going to freak her out (since the biggest issue seems to be finding the best facility and doctor, and he'd have access to the best of the best).  She has a much healthier heart than he does, though.  Getting in a hot tub was probably not a good idea.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yikes; I have a friend for whom ketamine is pretty much the last remaining treatment option for depression, so news of Perry's COD is going to freak her out (since the biggest issue seems to be finding the best facility and doctor, and he'd have access to the best of the best).  She has a much healthier heart than he does, though.  Getting in a hot tub was probably not a good idea.

FWIW based on the autopsy, the coroner reported the levels in his system would not have been from his treatment because it would not have stayed in his bloodstream that long, suggesting he was likely taking additional amounts of it on his own beyond those treatments. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 10
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

FWIW based on the autopsy, the coroner reported the levels in his system would not have been from his treatment because it would not have stayed in his bloodstream that long, suggesting he was likely taking additional amounts of it on his own beyond those treatments. 

Thanks; I just read a summary, not the actual autopsy report, as I do not like having access to the extreme detail they get into, and said summary failed to include that (which I find rather irresponsible, given ketamine therapy's emergence as a treatment for depression and/or anxiety).

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Thanks; I just read a summary (which did not note that), not the actual autopsy report, as I do not like having access to the extreme detail they get into.

You're welcome! The reporting on this has been a bit odd. I hadn't initially seen any of the additional clarification either and had been really confused too until I read the more complete explanation. 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

It sounds very reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s cause of death. The LA Times article said that he was weaning himself off of the ketamine treatments and had recently quit smoking. He also had a drug in his system that is used to treat opioid use disorder. 

Can't say I'm impressed with the singer, and I'm not sure a joke is the best way to start an In Memoriam segment, but otherwise it was an okay segment.  I did appreciate that they only focused on the singer when they took a break in showing the photographs.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Can't say I'm impressed with the singer, and I'm not sure a joke is the best way to start an In Memoriam segment, but otherwise it was an okay segment.  I did appreciate that they only focused on the singer when they took a break in showing the photographs.

It was one of the most bizarre introductions to the In Memoriam segment I can remember. Also, they seemed to miss a lot of daytime folk who died, but maybe that's just me.  Some of the highlighted show/role choices chosen for the actors was wonky.  Andrea Evans cited for Passions instead of One Life to Life? Come on!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Prince was fentanyl.

And, according to the police report, Prince had no clue that the vicodin he took to deal with his chronic back pain was laced with fentanyl. 

17 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

It was one of the most bizarre introductions to the In Memoriam segment I can remember. Also, they seemed to miss a lot of daytime folk who died, but maybe that's just me.  Some of the highlighted show/role choices chosen for the actors was wonky.  Andrea Evans cited for Passions instead of One Life to Life? Come on!

They also didn't mention John Aniston playing Victor on Days of Our Lives for decades. 

• Like 6
On 12/16/2023 at 10:59 AM, Dani said:

And, according to the police report, Prince had no clue that the vicodin he took to deal with his chronic back pain was laced with fentanyl. 

Fentanyl and vicodin are both opiods.  Prince apparently purchased vicodin, which he had used for chronic pain/narcotic addiction for years, from a non-medical source and it turned out the vicodin was contaminated with fentanyl which is far more potent and it caused his death.  This is the sort of OD we've seen so much of over the past decade or so.  Fentanyl is relatively cheap and easy to obtain, so mixing it with a more expensive, but less lethal, narcotic is not unusual amongst dealers.

Matthew Perry was using ketamine, a drug that is used for anesthesia and can cause hallucinations and dissociation.  The dissociative aspect, which allows people suffering from PTSD or depression to escape from their thoughts, memories, selves for brief periods has been shown to be useful in people who don't respond to the usual therapies for depression/PTSD.  Perry was being seen in a clinic where the drug was being administered by IV infusion at intervals and the effects usually last for weeks afterwards.  The problem is that this is a very expensive therapy because of the infusion and monitoring needed.  It has more recently become available as a nasal spray which is less expensive and needs less monitoring than the IV drug.  However, it is an anesthetic, it causes drowsiness and I guarantee you that Perry was  probably warned every time he got the drug prescribed that he should not operate motor vehicles, etc.  No one would've ever suggested that ketamine nasal spray and a hot tub were a good idea.  He used the ketamine without supervision, it made him sleepy and he drowned.  End of story.  A good guy did a dumb thing.  It's particularly awful because we all know that money wasn't an issue for Perry when it came to using the therapy safely.

If anything, this reminds me of Prince Harry and his assertion in Spare that he uses magic mushrooms for PTSD from combat.  There is some good research indicated that certain hallucinogens can help PTSD patients. but this therapy should be done in a medical environment with monitoring and supervision for safety.  Harry even goes into detail about this in his book before announcing that he doesn't do it that way, he just uses it when and where he wants with no medical input.  Because he is just that dumb.  Ironically, he tells of using magic mushrooms at Courtney Cox' home while visiting LA years before he married.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 5
7 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Fentanyl and vicodin are both opiods.  Prince apparently purchased vicodin, which he had used for chronic pain/narcotic addiction for years, from a non-medical source and it turned out the vicodin was contaminated with fentanyl which is far more potent and it caused his death.  This is the sort of OD we've seen so much of over the past decade or so.  Fentanyl is relatively cheap and easy to obtain, so mixing it with a more expensive, but less lethal, narcotic is not unusual amongst dealers.

Matthew Perry was using ketamine, a drug that is used for anesthesia and can cause hallucinations and dissociation.  The dissociative aspect, which allows people suffering from PTSD or depression to escape from their thoughts, memories, selves for brief periods has been shown to be useful in people who don't respond to the usual therapies for depression/PTSD.  Perry was being seen in a clinic where the drug was being administered by IV infusion at intervals and the effects usually last for weeks afterwards.  The problem is that this is a very expensive therapy because of the infusion and monitoring needed.  It has more recently become available as a nasal spray which is less expensive and needs less monitoring than the IV drug.  However, it is an anesthetic, it causes drowsiness and I guarantee you that Perry was  probably warned every time he got the drug prescribed that he should not operate motor vehicles, etc.  No one would've ever suggested that ketamine nasal spray and a hot tub were a good idea.  He used the ketamine, it made him sleepy and he drowned.  End of story.  A good guy did a dumb thing.

If anything, this reminds me of Prince Harry and his assertion in Spare that he uses magic mushrooms for PTSD from combat.  There is some good research indicated that certain hallucinogens can help PTSD patients. but this therapy should be done in a medical environment with monitoring and supervision for safety.  Harry even goes into detail about this in his book before announcing that he doesn't do it that way, he just uses it when and where he wants with no medical input.  Because he is just that dumb.  Ironically, he tells of using magic mushrooms at Courtney Cox' home while visiting LA years before he married.

Would nasal spray usage account for the amount in his system? From what I've read, he had 3,540 ng/ml, which the article I was reading claimed is essentially equivalent to a dosage that would be used for general anesthesia. 

26 minutes ago, Zella said:

Would nasal spray usage account for the amount in his system? From what I've read, he had 3,540 ng/ml, which the article I was reading claimed is essentially equivalent to a dosage that would be used for general anesthesia. 

What I heard on a TV report about it was that the amount of ketamine in his bloodstream was consistent with having used the nasal spray in the usual amount right around the time he got in the hot tub.  The amount in his blood was therapeutic and not indicative of an overdose.

• Useful 8