Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E09: Austin Butler / Lizzo

• Start Topic

Cold Open: Starting with Trump NFTs. Honestly, that gave the show a hell of a Christmas gift. The graphics department had fun tonight, I'll tell you. Trump giving a shout out to both versions of Nidoran was the last thing I expected from this show, it's like this sketch was speaking directly to me. I still miss Alex as AND I'M ERIC.

I listened to JAJ's WTF episode and it's a great listen. Part of his audition was him imitating Trump saying happy birthday to Frankenstein.

Monologue: Yep, I believe SNL stopped testing for covid, which is why they can have a Christmas episode this year. I thought he did a god job here.

The Phrase That Pays: "So it's like Wheel of Fortune without the wheel?" "Please don't do that." Okay, I got a kick out of Austin Butler somehow guessing every puzzle. 

A Christmas Epiphany: Yeah, I got a kick out of the family freaking out over Austin Butler looking at them through the window.

Marzipan: Wardrobe and makeup department earning another Emmy just with Kenan's wig. Such a weird, silly sketch. But honestly, it should've been weirder.

Jewish Elvis: I was thinking "if Austin Butler is in the audience in drag, Sarah HAS to be Elvis" and I was right! Gotta admit I liked how much Austin tossed himself into this. And I liked the random giant can of Diet Coke.

WU: Getting a kick out of describing Biden as "giving a eulogy at a pimp's funeral." And Bowen as Krampus. That horn was not supposed to come off, right?

Great to see Cathy Anne one last time! A thinly veiled way for Cecily to say goodbye (especially confirming that "Cathy Anne" once anchored Update). Kate got sent to space, Cecily's going to prison.

White Elephant: Meh. I did like Ego getting what I'm deciding was the Peach Candle "because her house stinks."

Jennifer Coolidge is Impressed By Christmas Stuff: Chloe was great. 

Please Don't Destroy: This was so stupid, I liked it. Plastic clothing looked so ridiculous. Loved seeing Lizzo again. 

RadioShack: It's Cecily's last day at "RadioShack." Her duet with "Casual Elvis" with Blue Christmas was sweet, and way, way better than the Graduation sendoff Kristen Wiig got. Even Colin got in on it! That's how you know this was serious. I'll really miss her.

Kinda weak after Update, but still a good show. Lizzo was great, and Austin Butler was really charming. Even if he only had two modes: "Elvis" and "Elvis trying to hide the accent."

• Like 5
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

Kinda weak after Update, but still a good show. Lizzo was great, and Austin Butler was really charming. Even if he only had two modes: "Elvis" and "Elvis trying to hide the accent."

pretty much exactly what i was going to say, I would not be opposed to seeing AB host again. Christmas epiphany killed me.

• Like 9

I love Lizzo!  I thought Austin Butler was lovely and seemed to be enjoying himself.  I thought most of the sketches were...meh.  I really didn't like Colin's Aunt Pat.  At all. 

I will miss Cecily a lot.  I was *not* tearing up during Cathy Ann or at the end.  No, I wasn't.  So there!

• Like 11
  • Love 4

I’ll probably be in the minority here, but this was one of the weaker episodes for me.

Update Colin/Che jokes were good, but of all WU characters for Cecily to go out on, why Kathy Ann? Personally, I always fast forwarded whenever that character came on. I didn’t find the Aunt bit funny at all. 

The good-byes to Cecily were touching, but that’s about it. Last week’s episode was much more of a Christmas episode to me. And I’m surprised SNL alumni didn’t pop up in cameos for Xmas/Cecily good-bye.

Chloe does some great impressions, but the Jennifer C. one was kind of meh.

Austin Butler seems like a nice guy, but the writing just let him down.

• Like 5

Thought the PDD sketch was dumb. They've done funnier stuff.

I always enjoy watching Bowen, so that it was him doing it made Krampus enjoyable for me. He cracked me up in the Marzipan sketch, which was otherwise "eh." The Weekend Update aunt thing kind of sucked.

I think the show benefited a lot from holiday energy. I'm going to look for Lizzo's song for my itunes Christmas playlist - it was lovely.

I love Cecily. I'm doubly glad Kari Lake didn't win, because who else could have nailed her the way Cecily did?

I think she's been one of the best cast members ever (and definitely the best singer, at least during her run). And you can tell she's a lovely person to work with.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 12
10 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I always enjoy watching Bowen, so that it was him doing it made Krampus enjoyable for me. He cracked me up in the Marzipan sketch, which was otherwise "eh." The Weekend Update aunt thing kind of sucked.

Both those things you said about the PDD sketch are true, but it still amused me. The odd thing is that I’ve seen way dumber looking clothes on actual fashion runways.

Regarding the aunt thing on WU, I just don’t think portraying groping a non-consenting person for laughs is funny. Would they have done that sketch with a male cast member groping the genitals of a female cast member as she acted uncomfortable with it?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Colin had a very weird vibe through at least the first half of Update.  He was downright grim in acknowledging the introductory cheers, and then seemed either angry or sad for awhile.  I seriously thought someone had delivered him some devastating news right before he went on.

Lizzo was excellent during both of her numbers.  She has a beautiful voice, in addition to her great comedic timing.  Love her.

The “Blue Christmas” number couldn’t have been more perfect in terms of merger of host, project he was promoting, season, and theme, but it was also a super downer to go out on for the year.  But it also couldn’t have been anything else.  Glad Cecily got her special song:  she’s always been an MVP to me.

I hope everyone has a great holiday season and happy new year!  I may not post or be here much for awhile, so have fun!

• Like 8
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Colin had a very weird vibe through at least the first half of Update.  He was downright grim in acknowledging the introductory cheers, and then seemed either angry or sad for awhile.  I seriously thought someone had delivered him some devastating news right before he went on.

I wondered if he was just really going to miss Cecily. 

No Che during Cecily's goodbye or at the end. I guess he just ducked out early. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I haven't even seen Elvis, but, damn, Austin Butler is just so gorgeous and I have a big crush now.

Here's my highlights:

• "Trump being Matrix" hahahahahhhahaahahahhaa and the other dumb phrases like that
  • Marzipan especially my other crush Michael Longfellow and of course Bowen
  • Austin Butler was fantastic in the White Elephant sketch
  • Jennifer Coolidge
  • Lizzo in the Plothing sketch

Austin singing of course oh my my my my.

Honestly I thought Austin was pretty good!  First time host, kind of green at all this, I'm impressed.  He had to handle all the Cecily stuff and I thought he was so sweet!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 9
  • Love 5

All I can really think about is what a lovely sendoff for Cecily. That was incredibly sweet and heartfelt. I agree with whoever said you can tell she's a lovely person.

They are going to have a time working around her her not being there. The season didn't really pick up until she came back.

I also agree Austin Butler is very charismatic. I think he can do a lot more than they let him tonight.

• Like 12
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Both those things you said about the PDD sketch are true, but it still amused me. The odd thing is that I’ve seen way dumber looking clothes on actual fashion runways.

Regarding the aunt thing on WU, I just don’t think portraying groping a non-consenting person for laughs is funny. Would they have done that sketch with a male cast member groping the genitals of a female cast member as she acted uncomfortable with it?

Truly, dumb can be funny. I guess for me it was much less funny than some of their others. 

And yes to your second point. Good point.

• Like 1

Not the best show overall. The writing was weak but a lovely send-off for Cecily. I think she’s really been one of the strongest performers and I’m glad they sent her out with a song. Lizzo’s Christmas song was great. She seems like such a sweetheart. Please don’t anybody tell me she’s really nasty in person. 

• Like 6

Full goodnights.

I thought this was a strong sendoff for Cecily, not as self-involved as some of these can be, and moving, particularly how hard a time Colin Jost had getting through. It makes me wonder how much longer he'll be on the show. 

I knew almost nothing about Austin Butler, but he was a pleasant surprise, both with comedy and the dramatic work, and being fearless. I hope he can host again. He reminded me of some of the other hosts like Adam Driver who fit right in. 

There weren't any sketches that wowed me (although Marzipan and the Christmas family pre-tape were two I enjoyed - and I usually enjoy PDD even if it's not a big moment), but there were a lot of creative premises, rather than the same old same old. Now I just hope they can build those up further. I really appreciated that. For instance, I was glad we got a game show sketch that wasn't about how many times they can say penis or what is on Instagram. 

Chloe has her moments, but I feel like I've seen a number of better Jennifer Coolidge impressions on social media. Sometimes I think SNL just squeezes the stuffing out of these bits. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 4

I loved Lizzo’s outfits during her numbers. And yes, her Christmas Song brought the house down. It sticks that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had to cancel, but she rose to the occasion magnificently.

We really will have a Blue Christmas without Cecily. Good use of Austin’s singing.

• Like 8

The Christmas Epiphany sketch made the night for me - I laughed out loud with that one.

Cecily is an MVP on the show and she’ll be missed. Always felt her talent was taken for granted.

Auston Butler was a huge surprise for me! Thought he was great - enthusiastic and totally committed to each sketch. And his monologue was great too. His mom would be proud!

• Like 6
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, saoirse said:

So far, the only sketch that didn’t land at all for me was Chloe’s Jennifer Coolidge. Not saying everything else has been great, but that one left me flat.

I thought the impression was fine, but as a parody it fell flat because it just seemed like a less good presentation of Jennifer Coolidge's shtick.

9 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I wasn't really thrilled with it until Lizzo showed up. Her "I'm not wearing any planties" turned the whole thing around for me and I was laughing after that.

9 hours ago, JeanJean said:

The Weekend Update aunt thing kind of sucked.

I was watching live so I put it on mute almost as soon as it started. What was the point of the back and forth about how she had not been on WU before? Was it supposed to be a joke about some previous Heidi appearance? 

Glad that Cecily got a big goodbye moment (two, really, with Cathy Anne and Blue Christmas). I don't see Chloe and Heidi being able to fill her shoes.

Bowen was the best part of the Marzipan sketch. The concept was nonsensical. They don't have to like marzipan but to be unaware that it is sweet? 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Trimmed quote
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Niftys. Sounds about...wrong.

There was no way I was ever going to see the Elvis movie but dang if Austin Butler isn't pretty.

The game show was hilarious. I was laughing so hard.

Marzipan!

Linda Richman's back, lol. Oy, that skit took a turn for the worse though.

I didn't understand the Krampus skit but Bowen was certainly all in.

Sloe gin jizz. Ehhh. Trying too hard.

Chillax pimp juice. Please tell me no one actually says that.

Aw, that was quite a poignant send-off for Cecily. (What's up with the rumor she's the new host of the Daily Show?)

Lizzo's like one of the gang now.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought the impression was fine, but as a parody it fell flat because it just seemed like a less good presentation of Jennifer Coolidge's shtick.

It's hard to parody something that's already comedic.  Coolidge's whole schtick is tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I wasn't really thrilled with it until Lizzo showed up. Her "I'm not wearing any planties" turned the whole thing around for me and I was laughing after that.

I was watching live so I put it on mute almost as soon as it started. What was the point of the back and forth about how she had not been on WU before? Was it supposed to be a joke about some previous Heidi appearance? 

Glad that Cecily got a big goodbye moment (two, really, with Cathy Anne and Blue Christmas). I don't see Chloe and Heidi being able to fill her shoes.

Bowen was the best part of the Marzipan sketch. The concept was nonsensical. They don't have to like marzipan but to be unaware that it is sweet? 

Heidi, Chloe (plus Sarah) TOGETHER couldn't fill even one of Cecily's shoes. IMO, of course. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, saoirse said:

So far, the only sketch that didn’t land at all for me was Chloe’s Jennifer Coolidge. Not saying everything else has been great, but that one left me flat.

I liked this one. Generally I didn't care for most of the sketches.

9 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

No Che during Cecily's goodbye or at the end. I guess he just ducked out early. 

I first noticed Punkie wasn't there at the goodbye sketch, and then I realized several cast members weren't. I think it was decided that it was better with fewer people.

3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did like that line and the others where "PL" was put at the beginning of the various clothing words. Otherwise, I didn't think this PDD was very good.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Niftys. Sounds about...wrong.

I love how JAJ does these stupid words and expressions that are exactly what Trump would say. I really enjoyed this CO, esp since the Trump cards are so so so stupid and worthless.

"There they go. What a terrible couple." :D

Sloe gin jizz. Ehhh. Trying too hard.

Ugh. I hated that.

Chillax pimp juice. Please tell me no one actually says that.

Hated this, too. It didn't fit into the sketch, and the guy's delivery was off.

The monologue was fine. He had some good lines.

The Phrase That Pays was pretty good. I actually didn't care for JAJ as the host. Mikey or Kenan would have been better. 

A Christmas Epiphany was good, though I didn't like the ending with the angel staring into the window. Why? Again, the writers just tacked on something to end a sketch.

Marzipan was silly and ok.

I could not stand the retirement home Elvis sketch. I hate how vulgar it was, with the Austin character talking about creaming her panties and then Sarah/Elvis talking about it. Just gross and unfunny. Seems like many sketches Sarah is in (or writes) are vulgar. Not my kind of humor.

I basically liked the White Elephant sketch. Until the end with the Santa/Dad? on the roof. Y'know, it would've worked pretty good if we just see Santa on the roof winking at the camera. No attempt at a big ha-ha laugh, just a sweet ending. I did think it was funny when Austin's character says, "I wouldn't take Janette's scented candle because I know that her house stinks." 

The Cecily goodbye was sad and sweet. Before I even watched the show I read that she was leaving. Bad news for us viewers and for the show. I never liked her when she co-hosted WU, but she was great in everything else. What a loss. But I wish her well.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I think she's been one of the best cast members ever (and definitely the best singer, at least during her run). And you can tell she's a lovely person to work with.

9 hours ago, vb68 said:

They are going to have a time working around her her not being there. The season didn't really pick up until she came back.

Cecily is one of my all time favorites, I am really going to miss her. I have always thought she had a lovely voice and have wondered if she might try Broadway at some point. I also felt like the season became more "normal" when she returned, probably because so many regulars left at the same time. I am so disappointed she is leaving!

• Like 10
  • Love 2

Krampus killed me. I love the angle he took"I'm a DEMON, Colin! Of course I'm gay!" 

Also: "My culture is not your costume" and Ghilaine Maxwell is his therapist. The horn falling off made it even funnier. I'm the Grinch of the family so, of course, I love the Krampus myth. 

Cecily Strong will be so missed. She was musical, did great impressions, and had such a great range of comedy. She was incredibly brave sharing her abortion story as a clown, I rewatched that WU about a month ago and her humor/sadness was heartbreaking. I hope she does well post-SNL. 

I didn't see Elvis so I didn't know who Austin Butler was but he was charming and funny. I lost my mom this year and his emotional tribute to her was beautiful. He recovered really well and seemed to have a great time with all his skits.

Edited by Lambie
Forgot to add how the monologue touched me
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4

Maybe it's because I was tired but I found it hard to find something to cling onto in any of the sketches.  Maybe there were a few moments during the A Christmas Epiphany skit.  And some decent Update jokes. 

But the only thing I thoroughly liked was Lizzo.

I have never found any of Gardner's WU characters appealing and Aunt Pat was no exception. I'm starting to dread her appearances on WU the same way I used to dread the appearance of Kyle Mooney in any WU character. Gardner's characters not only aren't funny to me, they have zero chemistry with either Jost or Che. It's too bad because I think Gardner has moments of greatness (I think she has more talent as a "straight" foil, like Vanessa Bayer, than a zanier, over the top, offbeat comic). 

I agree with the poster above who said Jost seemed really affected/down this ep. Strong leaving is a sad moment for me, a casual viewer; I can imagine losing a long-time colleague, especially after getting through COVID together and losing other key cast members, really sucks. 

Freaking loved the second Lizzo song, too. Did not love the rampage of Mylar balloons that wardrobe stuck to her and called a dress. I wished I could have heard her sing a bit of "Blue Christmas," but otherwise, she's been a bright spot on this show every time I've seen her and she's one of the musical guests that does not mean automatic bathroom break. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Surprised by how good Austin Butler was, his face when he opened the second catch-all was so funny. He got my heartstrings with his monologue about how shy he was and that his mom was no longer here. Same, man.

I might be the only one here who liked the Jennifer Coolidge sketch, I thought it should be in the annual Christmas special, I’ve been hoping they take out some clunkers for a long time.

Oh, and I wrapped some marzipan for my husband just earlier in the day. Oh well.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

It's hard to parody something that's already comedic.  Coolidge's whole schtick is tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe if it had been the Jennifer Coolidge persona in a procedural drama or some other incongruous scenario. 

2 hours ago, LaylaGirl said:

Cecily is one of my all time favorites, I am really going to miss her. I have always thought she had a lovely voice and have wondered if she might try Broadway at some point. I also felt like the season became more "normal" when she returned, probably because so many regulars left at the same time. I am so disappointed she is leaving!

I enjoyed her in the first season of Schmigadoon and am looking forward to season 2. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I haven't even seen Elvis, but, damn, Austin Butler is just so gorgeous and I have a big crush now.

Austin singing of course oh my my my my.

If you developed a crush on Austin Butler after this episode, you've GOT to see Elvis! I'm old enough to be his $%^(!&* and I continue to be all hot and bothered by him. Hubba Hubba

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

If you developed a crush on Austin Butler after this episode, you've GOT to see Elvis! I'm old enough to be his $%^(!&* and I continue to be all hot and bothered by him. Hubba Hubba

I will definitely watch!  Don't worry! and thank you!

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

Delurking to say Lizzo's Xmas song is originally a Stevie Wonder song.

while she was singing I was wondering where I had heard it before, it hit me this morning I had heard Pearl Jam's cover a week or so earlier.

Had a good laugh at 'Jennifer Coolidge' blowing out the Menorah 'birthday' candles

I always enjoyed Cicely would do a character--but it normally go into being OTT,   which occurred  with Kate McKinnon way too much... usually delivered w/a smirk

Edited by sheetmoss
spell
  • Like 1

I had seen AB in Elvis so I knew he was talented.What I didn't know was how charming and humble he was.  I teared up during his monologue, my Mom passed away 3 years ago so my heart went out to him. He was fully engaged in every sketch and was obviously having a great time.

Blue Christmas was absolutely the best way to say goodbye to Cecily. I have to give props to Kenan.He is the heart,soul, and face of SNL and the right guy to lead the goodbye last night.He made me tear up, as did Colin.Poor Colin.

Now..have to comment on Casual Elvis's jeans, t-shirt, and leather jacket.

Mercy. *fans self*

Edited by lou ann b
  • Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Heidi, Chloe (plus Sarah) TOGETHER couldn't fill even one of Cecily's shoes. IMO, of course. 

I feel like Cecily, Kate and Aidy each represent such a specific era of the show - not only having to do comedy, but also needing to be in the heart of political and social commentary - that nothing is likely to replicate her style. The closest of the current cast might be Ego, but she is doing her own thing, as all the ladies are, of course. I'm really hoping the show won't try to find a Cecily replacement. I still remember all the negativity Lauren Holt received over being "the new Aidy."

5 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I have never found any of Gardner's WU characters appealing and Aunt Pat was no exception. I'm starting to dread her appearances on WU the same way I used to dread the appearance of Kyle Mooney in any WU character. Gardner's characters not only aren't funny to me, they have zero chemistry with either Jost or Che. It's too bad because I think Gardner has moments of greatness (I think she has more talent as a "straight" foil, like Vanessa Bayer, than a zanier, over the top, offbeat comic). 

I like Heidi a great deal as a cast member, enough to where I do enjoy some of these characters (it helps when she's with Mikey as they have good chemistry), but she feels somewhat desperate to me these days.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I could not stand the retirement home Elvis sketch. I hate how vulgar it was, with the Austin character talking about creaming her panties and then Sarah/Elvis talking about it. Just gross and unfunny. Seems like many sketches Sarah is in (or writes) are vulgar. Not my kind of humor.

Sarah has so much energy and she's much more versatile than I would have expected when she joined the cast, but this is why I am not as eager for her to take over the show as some may be. I think there's a certain role for the more coarse material to be balanced out by a wider plate. I hope the show will do that more often (this past episode had a lot of variety for me, even if I didn't think anything was fantastic viewing - Cecily's goodbye, Marzipan and the Christmas pre-tape coming closest).

Writing credits:

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Quick shoutout to Michael Longfellow. His contributions to the Marzipan and Jennifer Coolidge sketches were brief but very appreciated. His overall lowkey delivery is a nice addition to the mix.

50 minutes ago, Stealthy said:

I’m really going to miss Cecily. The send off was well done. I may have gotten a little misty-eyed. 

I didn’t love the rest of this show, but Bowen in the marzipan sketch made me giggle. 

To me, Bowen was unfunny here* and on WU, although props for not breaking character on the latter. 

* But if the consensus is that he was funny, then maybe his "Marzipan" part should have gone to the host, who never, whoever it is, be a lesser light in a sketch. 

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

To me, Bowen was unfunny here* and on WU, although props for not breaking character on the latter. 

* But if the consensus is that he was funny, then maybe his "Marzipan" part should have gone to the host, who never, whoever it is, be a lesser light in a sketch. 

but then it might not have been as funny, the humor comes from more than just the writing for a particular part, performance is a significant part of making something funny.

• Like 2

Lizzo is the best. I love Lizzo.

The Elvis movie showed up on my TV, so I knew Austin had a presence, but also, it translated to this format well. And he added a lot to Cecily's goodbyes.

Speaking of which, someone tweeted that they thought Kristen Wig's farewell was bigger (Mick Jagger, Stone Temple Pilots), but Cecily's was far more heartfelt, imo. Also, I never liked Kristen and I'll miss Cecily. But not as much as Jost will, he looked like he lost his best friend.

Chloe needs puffier lips if she impersonates Jennifer again. I thought she started out kinda meh, but got better as the sketch went on.

Upthread it said they weren't testing anymore. Nor are most wearing masks at the closing. Wonder if that's why Che and others didn't join the crowd goodbye.

Edited by buttersister
Covid ain't over.
  • Like 2