Type keyword(s) to search

S43.E12: Telenovela

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

The remaining 6 castaways must get the ball rolling to win the reward challenge and earn a sweet treat. Also, castaways need to hang in there during the immunity challenge to secure their spot in the final 5.

Original airdate 12/7/22

Karla, Jesse or Owen winning will be the only satisfactory outcome.  IMO.

The music underneath Karla describing her telenovela was amusing.  The cameras swooping in a dizzying fashion around the immunity challenge not once but twice was not.

• Love 3

That would have been the world's biggest "no fair" if they hyped a potential Cody blindside and gave him a very arrogant edit, but then it didn't happen.  You can tell Jesse wears his heart on his sleeve when voting certain people out, but I'm glad he isn't afraid to make moves at the same time.  He was absolutely correct that if he and Cody went to the final 3 together, they would have to argue over whose move was what and he might not get the credit for it.  That was a huge move and anyone with a 1/4 of a brain should know that makes Jesse a threat.  But they'll have to worry about it at the final 4 since he still has an undisclosed idol.

I'm really disappointed at how oblivious Karla is.  When she was talking about Cody's plan on the beach to scare everyone into thinking they were playing their idols, I kept trying to detect sarcasm in her TH or have her be like 'psych!'  I just can't believe how out of the loop she is.  I am sorry that she's falling apart, however.  

The episode itself was kind of boring until the end.  Can't believe only one more week!

• Love 5

Meh.  I'll be okay with anyone winning.  Not super happy, but not pissed either.  It's been total meh.  Though I think Karla would be my choice on who I'd want to see, followed by maybe Gabe following his outta nowhere surge to being okay

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Did they explain how jesse got the idol back from Cody after the show and tell? That was a very good read and move by jesse and I’m liking his survivor lectures. I’m glad he realized he couldn’t take Cody to the end and expect to beat him. And also flushed out Karla’s idol. I liked that Cody wasn’t a sore loser and respected the play. Jesse will definitely be a target next TC but they don’t know about his other idol and he’s smart enough to keep his mouth shut about it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Did they explain how jesse got the idol back from Cody after the show and tell?

No and they better show it next week.  It made absolute zero sense for Cody to give it back to Jesse to hold. All I can think is that Cody was worried about another Knowledge is Power being out there.  

Jesse is sitting in a very good place right now.  He has his immunity for the next TC but I don’t think anyone now will want to sit with him at the final if they got any indication of what the jury was saying.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Love 6

Forums back  up...okay good.

Well it looks like Jesse has this in the bag. I can't see anything derailing him now.

With that said...I really, really REALLY want an Owen, Cassidy and Gabler final three. It would be such a unique circumstance where there is no clear cut winner...none of the three have done anything to truly distinquish themselves. I think jury votes split between all three of them could be an exciting possibility. This is really the best case scenario because Jesse or Karla up against any of them would be shooting fish in a barrel.

Glad that Cody went out...he was giving me the same slimy vibe as the guy who I believe went on to win Thailand  lo those many years ago.

People toasting idols for no reason is always fun...Karla's face paid dividends to that when it happened.

Not sure what was up with that OMENish music and slow motion walk to the challenge but okay.

Jeff  yammering on when people are trying to call out directions surely can not make things any easier but a timid line producers is probably not going to call the host out on it.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

No and they better show it next week.  It made absolute zero sense for Cody to give it back to Jesse to hold. All I can think is that Cody was worried about another Knowledge is Power being out there.

That was my thought. Cody wasn’t going to actually play it so he gave it back to Jesse to hold in case someone played a Knowledge is Power against him to take it. Which is a pretty smart move, except when the person holding it then decides to use it for someone else and vote you out! 😆

Jesse for the win!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Gabler was talking about assassinations being stealthy. He reminded Jesse how Cody could take credit for his moves and ditto Cassidy and Karla.  Then he sat back.  Gabler planted the seeds and Jesse took out Cody, who was far too pleased a5 his own cunning to be thinking of his end game….only going to be one winner.  And he was stupid to give his idol back to Jesse after he showed Karla.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I'm glad that Cody is finally gone, but I'm wondering why he gave his idol back to Jesse. He should have kept it. Couldn't stand Cody anyway.

Everyone will want to get rid of Jesse now. He still has Jeanine's idol. Still rooting for Cassidy, but Jesse's game is very impressive, and he could go all of the way.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Forums back  up...okay good.

Well it looks like Jesse has this in the bag. I can't see anything derailing him now.

With that said...I really, really REALLY want an Owen, Cassidy and Gabler final three. It would be such a unique circumstance where there is no clear cut winner...none of the three have done anything to truly distinquish themselves. I think jury votes split between all three of them could be an exciting possibility. This is really the best case scenario because Jesse or Karla up against any of them would be shooting fish in a barrel.

Jesse has put a huge target on his back that's only going to get bigger.  If he wins immunity next week, he has the power to use Jeanine's idol on someone else.  If not, he can use the idol for himself.  Either way it'll be a big move.  The only thing that might stop him is a bitter jury (namely Cody) and if anyone doesn't respect that he kept Jeanine's idol. 

Cassidy/Owen/Gabler I think would come down to Cassidy and Gabler.  James didn't seem to like Owen and I don't think he'll vote for him, and I'm not sure Owen is going to have a ton of respect in the jury, either.  I really think it would be Gabler's to lose in that case, although Cassidy could get votes.  Of the three, their game play is the most interesting, though, mostly because I have no idea what it is.  

• Like 2

I'm still laughing. Cody's golden boy arrogance and preening finally bit him in the butt.

But the look on Karla's face as she realized she was played and burned her idol for nothing was also freaking hilarious.

Neither of them are the puppet masters they both imagined. Karla can still win, but it's a much steeper climb now.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

The only thing that might stop him is a bitter jury (namely Cody)

Cody didn’t seem bitter at all. He said in his goodbye message that he really respected Jesse’s game move. I think Cody would vote for him just because of it.

• Like 4
  • Love 12
43 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Cody didn’t seem bitter at all. He said in his goodbye message that he really respected Jesse’s game move. I think Cody would vote for him just because of it.

I don't know if they would be bitter, but that's about the only way I can see Jesse losing.  The jury seemed impressed, and Noelle especially seems like a Jesse fan on the jury.  I also think Cody had such a whirlwind going on that if he was asked his name he'd probably blank on it, but I don't think he'd want to come across as a sore loser (especially because it was his own stupidity that got him voted out).  That said, stranger things have happened.  Cody could still argue from the jury that moves made in the game were his and not Jesse's.

I also want to add, of all the seasons not to have a Ponderosa.  I really wanted to see and hear Cody when he arrived after getting blindsided.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Yay!  So much strategy, double-crossing, and social game.  A telenovela indeed.

I think Jesse might have just cost himself the game.  If he uses his idol to get himself to 4, he then HAS To win immunity to get to 3.  And. as Jeff said, he's the only one who hasn't won immunity.  It will be interesting to see who they vote out at 4.  Karla would be the obvious choice, but she's a bit of a challenge beast.  

Gabler- I can't figure out if he's playing a great game or he's a great goat.  He does seem to get people to do what he wants.

Cassidy- has played a good post-merge game.  I don't think she beats Karla, though.

Owen- was on the wrong side of the vote too many times.

So, for me it's a toss-up.  I've thought all along that Karla was getting the winners edit, but these last two tribals have been brutal for her.  I wonder how it would have played out if she had won immunity.

Very happy to have a separate reward challenge.

After this season, I never want to hear Jeff say "you'll run through a series of obstacles" again.

• Like 3

The jury figuring out that Jesse engineered the Cody blindside gives him a whole lot of F3 points.  That and the fact he has an idol unknown to anyone gives him a whole lot of points with me.

I would have sworn earlier in the game that Cody was getting a winner's edit.  Guess it was just a kooky character edit.

I was surprised Karla was this [] close to falling for the plan to get her to not play her idol and get voted out and was glad when she got spooked enough to use it, but it seems she was just the fall back plan if Cody used his.  But what happened to her during the puzzle challenge?  She was so close to winning and seemed to just give up?  Was she really is so much pain that she couldn't focus?  Hydrate, girl!

I agree that we are missing out on good stuff at Ponderosa!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Fretful said:

I think Jesse might have just cost himself the game.  If he uses his idol to get himself to 4, he then HAS To win immunity to get to 3.  And. as Jeff said, he's the only one who hasn't won immunity. 

This is my thought also. It was a splashy move for his resume, but that's presuming he gets to the final, and having got rid of his number one ally and one of the two idols they had between them quite unnecessarily (if instead he'd stuck with Cody's plan to blindside Karla, ie), I think he's really fractured his chances of winning. Cody would have stayed loyal to the end, and wins immunities, and that would most likely have got him a lot further in the game. Not much point having a resume if you don't make it to the end.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I mean, I do want people to play hard and have the money as their priority rather than game friendships, but that was harsh. Jesse did show to the jury that he is there to play, but even if he wins I don't appreciate this betrayal to Cody, maybe because I just love Cody and it was sweet to see him feel so close to a person who is so different than him.

I don't appreciate all the previews this season, they are totally misleading and I may stop watching them from now on.

I still think Karla wins.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

This is what happens when you let someone else hold your idol, you get blindsided Cody. 
And Jesse still has an idol. He can play it next week. 

Why did he ket him hold it? I must have missed something

8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Jesse has put a huge target on his back that's only going to get bigger.  If he wins immunity next week, he has the power to use Jeanine's idol on someone else.  If not, he can use the idol for himself.  Either way it'll be a big move.  The only thing that might stop him is a bitter jury (namely Cody) and if anyone doesn't respect that he kept Jeanine's idol. 

Cassidy/Owen/Gabler I think would come down to Cassidy and Gabler.  James didn't seem to like Owen and I don't think he'll vote for him, and I'm not sure Owen is going to have a ton of respect in the jury, either.  I really think it would be Gabler's to lose in that case, although Cassidy could get votes.  Of the three, their game play is the most interesting, though, mostly because I have no idea what it is.  

Im a little slow here — why did jessa put the idol on owen?

10 hours ago, Carey said:

maybe Gabe following his outta nowhere surge to being okay

😆 Perfect

Yeah, I'm surprised by how ok I am with Gabler lately. Karla has had the opposite trajectory for me, and I was a little embarrassed by how much I enjoyed how ticked she looked after having to play her idol. Some people can gloat and still be somewhat charming...Karla, not so much. Owen is fine but doesn't do much for me, Jesse would be a satisfactory winner, but I'm sticking with Cassidy as my rooting interest (even though I don't think she'll win). She's like an underdog but also an overdog? I'm not even sure what that means, but I can't think of another way to put it.

2 hours ago, Fretful said:

Yay!  So much strategy, double-crossing, and social game.  A telenovela indeed.

I think Jesse might have just cost himself the game.  If he uses his idol to get himself to 4, he then HAS To win immunity to get to 3.  And. as Jeff said, he's the only one who hasn't won immunity.  It will be interesting to see who they vote out at 4.  Karla would be the obvious choice, but she's a bit of a challenge beast.  

They’re not voting anyone out at final 4. The individual immunity challenge winner brings someone with them to final 3 and then the other 2 compete in fire-making to see who grabs that 3rd spot.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2

My, my, my...that was fun. I don't have any longtime-viewer insights at the moment, because I'm just amused by some tribal chess. Or I hope it's chess...for all I know Jesse is playing chess on Gabler's backgammon board. But kudos to CBS for a fun ep, as much as I usually criticize the editing monkeys. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I think Jesse had to make his move this week.  Cody and Karla would most likely have played their idols at five, so the best opportunity to make this move was at six.  I also think Jesse played the idol for Owen as it showed that Jesse was behind this vote; there were enough votes to take out Cody, but Jesse wanted to actively show the jury who arranged the vote out.  Also, playing the idol did force Karla to play hers so at this point (unless they replant the idols and someone finds them) Jesse is the only one with an active idol.  I also wonder if he has been downplaying his ability to win challenges in order to lull others into thinking he isn't a threat.

Gabler absolutely played the "how will the jury know who was behind the strategy" card and it worked.  Maybe the only solid twosome at this point are Gabler and Owen.

I so strongly dislike it when people use tears to manipulate others.  Real tears are one thing, but tears as a manipulative tactic really irk me (and people have tried it on me and, unfortunately, our relationships never were the same afterwards).  Karla had a lot of joy in using fake tears so it makes me wonder if she does that outside of Survivor.

As for Jeff's constant narration during challenges, it just seems to me to be another aspect of the challenges.  Do you block it out or do you listen as sometimes there are helpful hints in his narration?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

The more I think about this, I wonder why Jesse even played Cody's idol.  Everyone knew that he was holding Cody's idol.  He could have just not told anyone Cody gave it back to him and then he'd have two at the final five with even more power to save possibly two other people (if he won immunity).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

The more I think about this, I wonder why Jesse even played Cody's idol.  Everyone knew that he was holding Cody's idol.  He could have just not told anyone Cody gave it back to him and then he'd have two at the final five with even more power to save possibly two other people (if he won immunity).

Isn’t next TC (at F5) the last opportunity to play individual immunity idols?  Having two idols in hand going into that TC wouldn’t do you much good, unless you’re souvenir hunting.

• Like 1
Just now, Nashville said:

Isn’t next TC (at F5) the last opportunity to play individual immunity idols?  Having two idols in hand going into that TC wouldn’t do you much good, unless you’re souvenir hunting.

Sure it would.  He could play one on himself and then play one on someone else which would possibly help eliminate whoever he wanted to go.

38 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

He did it to force Karla to play hers.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I thought it was to scare Carla into playing hers.  

I loved the game play last night.  I have to guess Cody gave it back to Jesse because a. he was worried someone might have the knowledge is power advantage and b. he trusted Jesse so much that he wanted to keep things status quo.  

• Love 4

UO, apparently, but I loved this episode, my favorite of the season, and one of the best blindsides of all time.

Jesse playing Cody's own idol to get Cody out, flushing Karla's idol, and still having his idol to play for a guaranteed spot in F4 (the Jeanine idol that no one knows he was given from Dwight) all in one bold move had me like this those last few moments of tribal:

anigif_sub-buzz-5482-1468428393-3.gif

If Jesse makes it to F3, he deserves to win. Even if I was wanting Karla or Owen to win. A F3 with those three would be perfect in my book.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

I'm still laughing. Cody's golden boy arrogance and preening finally bit him in the butt.

Yeah, I loved this. I've never liked Cody. There's just something about him that's way too smug. Plus I could never get past that mullet.

That said, I'm really not that crazy about Jesse either. Don't get me wrong, he's the most deserving winner at this point, game-wise. But the editing is working overtime trying to make him sympathetic. This is not the first time they've inserted a teary-eyed Jesse talking about how much his family needs this. It makes me wonder why the show is working so hard to make me like him.

I don't really see anyone else winning at this point, next week is going to be a long slog to an outcome I'm already pretty sure of. Will have to forego the live chat and record so I can skip through the tedious challenges and Jeff Probst.

I think Jesse might have just cost himself the game.  If he uses his idol to get himself to 4, he then HAS To win immunity to get to 3.

No he doesn't. All he has to do is get to the Final 4 which is now guaranteed with his idol. If he doesn't win immunity, at worst he has to make fire.

Can you do that? We've never seen anyone play more than one idol before. 

9 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  If he didn't play it, Carla probably wouldn't have played hers.

Yep--so now he's got the only idol left.  If he wins immunity next week, he can play it for someone and help guide who gets voted out.  Bold move, smart move.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, princelina said:
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Can you do that? We've never seen anyone play more than one idol before. 

I believe Parvati did it once.

Yep. In HvV which more than guaranteed J.T. is ouster.  She didn't even play either one on herself

• Love 2

I think this is the first episode this season that I really did enjoy, for the most part. I love the blindside; I was actually surprised because I didn't think Jesse would turn on Cody, but it made so much sense for his game. He couldn't turn at 5 because Cody would want his idol back and then play it. And keeping Karla for 5 is better since she's injured and that leaves one less competitor to win a challenge. Although I do worry about Jesse's chances at 4, since he is the worst at challenges and I have zero idea if he's any good at firemaking. He made a good move but it only benefits him if he can get to F3. So it's a real gamble but at least he's making moves that are smart, although risky.

I do think that Jesse's mindset was right and he phrased it well; he may get to the end easier by keeping Cody, but his chances to win go down significantly since Cody is a bit louder. But doing this ensured his target growing when he had no eyes on him previously so it may be a bad move, since nobody's taking him to 3. 

Karla keeps moving down on my list of favourites. It's such a goddamn shame because I loved her pre-merge and even early merge, but she's been playing a bad game.

But, like, everyone else left wouldn't be good winners. Jesse and Karla at least have done shit, even if it hasn't always paid off. Gabler's the only one who actually has a big move on his resume with taking out Elie. Owen has zero moves of his own, and Cassidy barely has anything either (maybe her Ryan revenge arc, but that's a big maybe). 

Such a lackluster season. 

• Love 4

That was some masterful strategery there!  Well thought out, too.  Anyone going to the final five holding an idol, is guaranteed to go to final four, Jesse couldn't risk that, so he burned Cody's idol on Owen and forcing Karla's idol to be played.  Now everyone but Jesse is vulnerable at final five.  He'd better hope production doesn't hide another idol, or maybe he's got a plan for that too.  Smart of him to recognize that Cody's naturally brash and flash personality will outshine him at Final Tribal Council, and even though keeping Cody a solid ally to the end would get him to FTC, there was too much risk that the jury would fall for the flash and not see Jesse's quiet manipulations.  I can't decided if Gabler played Jesse there, or what.  But Jesse isn't so much of an egomaniac that he's unable to take input from others and fold that into his master plan, so it all worked out. 

Gabler is playing a much better second half than he did a first half, he's found his groove.  Is it enough?  I don't think so, unless there's stuff going on that we aren't being shown.  I'm amazed he's made it this far, just by his age and gangly awkwardness and original annoyance factor I would have thought he's be an early vote out.  Cassidy also seems to have found her footing as well, but it is a little too late.  Karla is faltering, I don't know if it is her health or if she truly was just working behind James, and has been falling steadily since that strong alliance broke apart.  I have a soft spot for Owen, and I think he's having the time of his life now, after having had such an awful beginning, so there's no way he's going to win at FTC--but I think he's already got what he really wanted: a true Survivor experience.

I'm all in for a Jesse, Cassidy and Gabler-or-Owen final three, with a Jesse win.  He's earned it. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

I liked Cody and didn’t find him smug.  I thought of him as a high energy, good spirited guy who was smarter than he appeared.  I was disappointed in Jesse breaking his trust.  

I could not figure out how Jesse had gotten the idol back again from Cody until I read here about the knowledge is power advantage.  

Just hate these I need these million dollars for my family pronouncements, accompanied by tears.  So does everybody else.  

• Like 4
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Why did he ket him hold it? I must have missed something

Im a little slow here — why did jessa put the idol on owen?

Cody gave Jesse his idol when it was revealed that James found the KIP (everyone was handing their advantages and idols to someone else in the event James used it).  For whatever reason, he let Jesse keep it.  That part I don’t understand.  

And he put the idol on Owen because that’s who Karla thought they were voting for.  So it was an attempt to scare her into playing her idol, which worked, and it ended up being for nothing.  But now Jesse’s the only one left with an idol.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

As for Jeff's constant narration during challenges, it just seems to me to be another aspect of the challenges.  Do you block it out or do you listen as sometimes there are helpful hints in his narration?

I usually watch the challenges on Closed Captioning. Between Jeff's manic chatter and the relentlessly loud music I can't concentrate otherwise. Sometimes I'll watch it a second time on low volume if if it's a good challenge.

• Applause 1

I was thinking a little more on the final five we have now:  Karla, Cassidy, Owen, Gabler, and Jesse.  What an eclectic group! 

Not a single chest-thumping alpha male type there.  No Malcolm, Colby, Boston Rahb, Ozzy, James, Jonathon, Joe etc.  Nobody for Jeff to gush over.

No challenge beasts--Owen comes closest, I think.   

No sacrificial goats either.  I guess you could say Owen or Gabler might qualify.  Owen has won some challenges made some important zigs and zags at the right times, so he's not really riding any coattails even though he spent a lot of time on the outs.  Gabler's not so annoying or polarizing as to be an obvious dead weight to drag into FTC.  Both Karla and Cassidy were part of that strong alliance with James and Ryan, and Karla was tight in the leadership of that alliance, but her star is fading.  Cassidy bristled under James, and she's got a pretty good revenge arc.  And of course, obviously Jesse is a strategic mastermind.

No focus pullers like Cochran, Parvati, Eliza, Jonathon, Tony, Cirie, Sandra etc. sucking up screen time.

It's an interesting bunch....and not at all who I would have expected to see in the final five based on the starting cast.

There's a rumor that this season was not a favorite of production, and I wonder if they feel it is lackluster because it brought such an ordinary looking and acting final five.  There's no story hook for them to edit, no break-out star.  There were tons of advantages, but relatively few actually were used.  In retrospect....this is exactly why I liked this season!

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

No challenge beasts--Owen comes closest, I think.

It's a little tricky because of the unplanned double immunity awarded during the holding your breath challenge, but Owen, Karla, and Cassidy all have 2 individual challenge wins. If you don't count the double immunity win, then Cassidy is actually the only one (of the final 5) with two individual wins. In terms of post-merge group challenges, Owen might get the edge with his key role in this episode's ball-rolling shot-calling challenge, but Cassidy is right up there.

But really you're right. There's no real dominating challenge standout, which is awesome.

22 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

This is what happens when you let someone else hold your idol, you get blindsided Cody. 

. . . after announcing that you are 9.5/10 sure that the outcome is going to be what you had planned. Karmic justice!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Fretful said:

Very happy to have a separate reward challenge.

I was also thrilled that the teams were picked randomly, there wasn't 1 winner who got to play politics with who also came along, and no one started bargaining to switch places with the people who lost.

• Love 3