Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Sick Day

• Start Topic

Janine is out sick for the day; but with the substitute teacher shortage, Ava grows desperate and must step in herself to help out. She starts the day in an unconventional fashion, disrupting the students’ typical routine as well as neighboring classrooms. Meanwhile, Barbara and Melissa revel in the quieter-than-normal teacher’s lounge.

Airdate: 11/30/2022

PreK public school teacher here. I'm pretty much on my deathbed if I log onto the sub finder. It's not worth how trashed your room is when you get back, especially in lower elementary. Janine must be really sick to miss....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 8

"Amelia Bedelia? Who wants to read about a girl who can't follow simple directions?" 

LOL (also, hello, childhood flashbacks). Also loved Gregory's reactions to everything - his face at the line about being the principal was especially great. 

But yeah, Ava may have come around some towards the end, but I'm thinking they should have a more stable backup pick for a substitute should Janine be out again for any reason. I don't know if the school could handle being left in the hands of her and the janitor a second time :p. Thank goodness for Janine prepping that binder, because of course she would do such a thing. 

It was nice to see Jacob sticking up for Janine. A good nod to the friendship they've developed over time :). And I liked the others learning to appreciate what she brings to the school, too. 

Also, Janine may have made the mistake of eating that sandwich (ew), but eh, we've all been there with food that didn't agree with us for one reason or another, so yeah, Janine, I feel for ya. 

• Like 6
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, BAForever said:

PreK public school teacher here. I'm pretty much on my deathbed if I log onto the sub finder. It's not worth how trashed your room is when you get back, especially in lower elementary. Janine must be really sick to miss....

I have gone up to my room super early to lock up stuff before my sub arrives so kids don't steal stuff. Last year we got some extra cash for filling in for teachers who were absent during our planning periods. This year the sub shortage doesn't seem as bad.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Gregory gets more and more awesome every week!

I liked that Ava eventually got bitten by the teaching bug. It really does happen.

I don't know any teachers who can go out to lunch. The show is good at showing other realities (more or less) of teaching, I wish they would show that. I would think especially on a day they were down a teacher, that wouldn't happen.

Good episode!!!

Edited by JeanJean
forgot the "y" in "every"
  • Like 2
  • Love 13

It was nice to see that Janine's class likes her unlike last year. Ava keeps her job because of good teachers it was good to see her actions come back to haunt her in the end. Barbara was a bitch Janine looks up to her and she would be so hurt if she learned that Barbara was mocking her behind her back.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Lizard people! I'm not sure I could handle more details!

I was really sad that all the women were being really nasty about Janine. Even Barbara! It makes it seem like when they treat her with any kind of decency that they don't mean it. I get that she can be annoying, but they were really backbiting and cruel about it. It's especially annoying that they have the men respecting her (Jacob and Gregory) while the women don't. That's a "women are backbiting bitches" trope I really hate.

Ava is too obnoxious for me. It's just too much. Her sort of having a change of heart at the end wasn't enough to make the episode less draining.

So, mostly I felt sad and irritated by this episode.

I have had food poisoning and they did a good job of showing how awful it is. I also agree Greg is turning into a really good and very likable teacher. And Jacob was uncharacteristically the voice of reason this week; his friendship with Janine is really nice and makes both of them seem better.

I see what you mean about the women, but since I just watched the HBO interview with Quinta, I’m going to guess she knows exactly what she’s doing. They turned it around at the end. I agree about Ava too, but they chip away at her a little bit each time so she can become more redeemable eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Even Barbara! It makes it seem like when they treat her with any kind of decency that they don't mean it. I get that she can be annoying, but they were really backbiting and cruel about it.

To me it seems that people like Janine, but she can be a bit much. So they enjoy a little time without her and they let off a little verbal steam on that day she's not there. Seems pretty normal to me. Everyone has faults and friends do privately acknowledge them to teach other, but they're still friends. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I find that Ava is best in small doses. I got so sick of her nastiness that it put a real damper on the episode.

I felt the same way.  She really does need to be in the background.  The only thing I liked this episode were her outfits.

They should take the spotlight away from her and show more teachers, like the science teacher we saw and the one (Tasha?) this episode.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm glad that the episode focused on the good sides of Janine, especially after quite a few "Janine has to learn a lesson" episodes. Her constant upbeat energy can be grating, but she also really does work hard to help her students and tries to make her workplace better, which are really nice things. She can be a lot, but its just because she cares so much, and I will take someone who cares too much over someone who cares too little any day of the week. I feel bad that everyone was talking badly about her behind her back, but I'm glad that they learned to appreciate her more. Jacob standing up for her was great to see, I really love the friendship they've built up. 

Gregory had a great episode, he was totally right about how important routine is to kids and that Janine works really hard to make classes run smoothly for the students. Its also nice to see that her students appreciate her. Also, Amelia Bedelia! Eloise at the Plaza! That really takes me back...

Ava might be a lousy educator with only brief glimpses of empathy and competence, but her outfits really are fire. 

• Like 3
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was really sad that all the women were being really nasty about Janine. Even Barbara! It makes it seem like when they treat her with any kind of decency that they don't mean it. I get that she can be annoying, but they were really backbiting and cruel about it.

I hated this too and it seemed very out of character for both Melissa and Barbara. Neither has ever seemed to shy away from telling her when she's too much. I'm actually afraid it may damage the show for me from now on because I'll see their interactions with her as fake fronts put up by petty mean girls who hate her. Which again, doesn't even really ring true for what we've seen so far. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I loved this episode! 

Loved Gregory's assertiveness when dealing with Ava and how much he has grown as a teacher. 

Loved Jacob's standing up for Janine. 

Loved Barbara and Melissa and Tasha acknowledging that Janine can often (most times) be too much and they just want her to shut up. But they also were able to appreciate what she brings to the school and were happy to have her back. I screamed when Tasha said, "WAIT - Why am I talking?" You know you all have a co-worker (or 3) like that. 

Loved Ava. Yes, she is a horrible principal and an even worse teacher, but this was a terrific episode for Janelle James. It's a comedy - I'm not expecting her to behave appropriately. That's not who the character is and it's not actually a documentary. I get that her brand of comedy doesn't work for everyone but I just love it. 

Loved Janine's students and how much they value Janine and hate Ava. 

I even loved the "crime scene" tape across the coffee maker at the end that said, "Don't use. It's trash" because it brought to mind the whole printer debacle from season 1 when Mr. Johnson kept wanting to throw it away. 

It was definitely one of the strongest episodes of the season for me. Kudos Quinta! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

I didn't have a problem with Barbara and Melissa talking about Janine, because she can be too much, even if she is a dedicated teacher who means well.  While they might really like her, they were just acknowledging that she can be annoying AF.  While it was nice of Jacob to defend her, I think he can be a bit annoying himself at times.  That's like co-workers at any job where sometimes it's nice to have a break from each other. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Janelle James is beautiful as a rule, but wow, she did look really sensational.   I think the way she made up her eyes brought it all together.  She'd better keep Ava's face mask away from them!

I also agree the writers misjudged Barbara and Melissa's attitudes here.  They came across like "we really can't stand Janine at all" rather than "it's nice to have a break from that thing she does that pushes our buttons."  At least Jacob stood up for her - but who knows what they were going to say about him when he left the room?  I think I'm just going to let this subplot out of my mind.  I guess it's par for the sitcom course that someone will be out of character once in a while.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Loved that the one boy was taking notes as Mr. Johnson talked about the lizard people!

22 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Amelia Bedelia? Who wants to read about a girl who can't follow simple directions?" 

The kid who handed her the book gave her the "don't even act like you don't know why I gave you this" look. So great! Actually all of the kids in Janine's class were on point with the acting.

• Love 22
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I also agree the writers misjudged Barbara and Melissa's attitudes here.  They came across like "we really can't stand Janine at all" rather than "it's nice to have a break from that thing she does that pushes our buttons."

This is exactly it.

Janine is so damned annoying that I would have zero issue with them complaining about her, but they really came across as haters.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Melissa and Barbara have been repeatedly clear to Janine that they are not friends.  It was very pronounced in a season 1 episode and again brought up this season. Keeping that in mind, I was not so outraged at the way they talked about Janine. They just view her as a co-worker (NOT a friend) who is annoying at times. That's it. Jacob views her as an actual friend that is why he was sticking up for her.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I personally think adults should not behave like that. Whether or not they are friends, they shouldn't be badmouthing her, or anyone, that way. It's disgusting and juvenile and meanspirited people don't impress me.

Exactly Janine would never talk behind their backs. Barbara was so concerned about proper behavior last episode and she's mocking Janine? I wonder how many young teachers they have treated in the same way.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

This episode showed why I only like Ava in very and I mean very small doses. I loved that the students were  having none of her antics and wanted Janine back.

Janine can be too much but I think they went too far with Melissa and Barbara's comments. It came across as if they do not like her at all instead of them just finding her a tad annoying. The ending rang hollow because they  changed their tune only due to her being useful to them.

Gregory setting Ava straight was handled perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I didn't care for Barbara and Melissa's comment's about Janine. I would have been okay if they expressed relief with the quietness among themselves. I am not really mad at it, either.

I still like this show, but this episode sort of served as a garner sympathy for Janine because showrunners may have a feeling that the audience needs to be reminded that despite Janine's inability to learn from her chattiness and obtrusiveness, she is a good person. I would say this episode was trying to do the same for Ava. I am not buying it and still think Janine is too much. 

Gregory, on the other hand, has shown actual growth.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 11/30/2022 at 10:05 PM, msani19 said:

I'd like to hear more about the people who live under the Denver airport....

On 12/1/2022 at 1:01 AM, possibilities said:

Lizard people! I'm not sure I could handle more details!

These links have more, for those who dare (ha ha):

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/31/definitive-guide-to-denver-international-airport-conspiracy-theories/

https://www.insider.com/denver-international-airport-conspiracy-theories-debunked-2021-10

• Mind Blown 1

I'm glad Janine now has an outside friend in Erika, who brought back "something" from Mexico that seemed to put Janine into a better place! (A really strong edible?) It was funny watching her pass out. And having to tell the camera crew to stay out of the bathroom. And being half-dressed, with school clothes on the upper half, and flannel jammies on below!

And of course Jacob would try the face mask and have a terrible reaction!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

And of course Jacob would try the face mask and have a terrible reaction!

Which is why I think he and Janine are so much alike and why he defended her, because she would have done the same stupid thing. 🤣

• Love 3

I actually liked Ava in this episode (and side note whoever did the actress's hair for the majority part of the scenes was on fire, it looked amazing!!). And I had no problem with Melissa and Barbara venting about Jeannine. I like the girl but damn, that poor coworker doesn't feel comfortable in the break room because of her.  That's a problem. 

The one thing that pulled me out was right in the beginning with the talk of Ava not signing paychecks. Those are government workers under an elected body, no absolute way that Ava has anything to do with payroll except possible time sheet approval on non-exempt/hourly employees and those teachers have got to be exempt and probably salaried. That's going to be payroll and HR for the district.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I actually liked Ava in this episode (and side note whoever did the actress's hair for the majority part of the scenes was on fire, it looked amazing!!). And I had no problem with Melissa and Barbara venting about Jeannine. I like the girl but damn, that poor coworker doesn't feel comfortable in the break room because of her.  That's a problem. 

The one thing that pulled me out was right in the beginning with the talk of Ava not signing paychecks. Those are government workers under an elected body, no absolute way that Ava has anything to do with payroll except possible time sheet approval on non-exempt/hourly employees and those teachers have got to be exempt and probably salaried. That's going to be payroll and HR for the district.

Adding to that…paychecks would be direct deposit.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Adding to that…paychecks would be direct deposit.

Yep. At my last job (local government) one could in theory get a physical paycheck but it was pretty damn hard and you had to have a good reason. 

Edited by callie lee 29
Spelling
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Another episode that is on point about education. The sub shortage is real. At my school, classes without subs get split among the grade level. I’ve had extra kids in my room at least once a week. 

I do like the character growth they’re showing with Ava. It’s small, but I like it. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 12/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, irisheyes said:

Another episode that is on point about education. The sub shortage is real. At my school, classes without subs get split among the grade level. I’ve had extra kids in my room at least once a week. 

I do like the character growth they’re showing with Ava. It’s small, but I like it. 

That’s the one thing I was waiting for. When the kids came to Gregory’s class I thought that was where they were going, but then we learned they were there to get a friend for recess. 

• Love 2

Gregory doesn't teach that grade level though, right? Melissa does, but of course this year she is teaching two grades simultaneously. And Ashley had been pulled already, so even Ava would know better than to give Melissa Janine's kids.

• Love 2

On this Ava-centric episode:

• Ava (Janelle James) looked phenomenal this whole episode; the clothes, the hair, the jewelry were all.... MUAH! Chef's kiss.
  • Add me to the list of people who got annoyed at Melissa and Barbara this episode. Yes, Janine can be annoying af most of the time, but I thought they were a little too quick to join in with Tasha on the Janine-bashing. Badmouthing your co-workers to other co-workers behind their backs is always a bad move.
  • Tasha, the Anti-Janine? Didn't care for her.
  • Jacob can be annoying as well, but I loved that had Janine's back. He's a real one.
  • Not Ava taking up the whole refrigerator with her latest side hustle and putting the milk, the mayo, AND Janine's sandwich in the sun. Girl...
  • Janine, why would you eat a sun-warmed tuna salad sandwich? Remember: When in doubt, throw it out.
  • "Who wants to read about an annoying woman who can't follow simple instructions???"-When you have ZERO self-awareness. SMH
  • "My eyes are up here, Mr. Eddie" and "Stop flirting with me"-When you have ZERO self-awareness. SMH
  • "I'm the most selfless person at this school", when you have to use the flip side of the copy paper after you're the one who used all the copy paper on a non-school venture-When you have (less then) ZERO self-awareness. SMH
  • “Why do you need to know the date? You got a meeting later?”
  • Ava: Is this the Babadook? Little Girl: That's my mom!
  • Principal Ava is a challenge, but Principal Eddie is going to be awesome!
  • Not Ava trying to regale the children with Tales of Wu Tang? I KNOW that story is not age-appropriate!
  • (small voice) I did kinda want to hear the Ghostface story though...
  • It was nice seeing Ava helping the children in the end. There's a good, unselfish person in there somewhere....deep, deep down. I mean, really, really deep.

Where is the show getting their child actors? These kids are fantastic. They are so seamless and natural that I some times forget that their interactions are scripted.

Great show.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I think the problem with this episode is that the show is built on a kindness aesthetic. There are lots of obstacles, but the fundamental mood is that people are trying to make it work and are bonding over overcoming the obstacles to that because they care about the children and acknowledge each other's fundamental decency even when the situation is tough.

In this episode, there was too much antagonism. Not only an overdose of Ava, but also having Barbara and Melissa (and the other teacher who we had never even see before who apparently was introduced solely to be unpleasant), there was a complete reversal of that, where most of the episode was focused on not caring and not trying and being resentful.

Jacob and Gregory were the voices against that, and there were glimmers of Ava getting her shit together, but the antagonism outweighed that, instead of the other way around.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

"It's only a scheme if you're at the bottom of the pyramid." Facts.

Yeah, food poisoning is no joke. But geez, Janine should've known better.

Tasha = carpetbagger.

I liked that Jazmine Sullivan song Ava played for the kids. Not really age-appropriate though, lol.

Janine high AF. But all that different stuff she was taking to "cure" herself probably wasn't sitting well in her stomach. Oy.

Good lord, what was in those ice packs Ava was selling, snake venom? Jacob looked like he'd gotten bitten in the face.

I'm surprised they still teach kids the days of the week and how to tell time on a regular clock. Most of them likely do (or will) use their cell phones or tablets to check the date and time. Sadly, a lot of people today consider wearing watches the equivalent of riding in horse-drawn carriages.

Ava might be the best-dressed sitcom character on TV right now. I would wear most of the outfits she's had on this season.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2022 at 11:35 AM, Black Knight said:

Gregory doesn't teach that grade level though, right? Melissa does, but of course this year she is teaching two grades simultaneously. And Ashley had been pulled already, so even Ava would know better than to give Melissa Janine's kids.

Most elementary teachers have a K-4 certification and Gregory could absolutely teach second grade if he’d been available. I’ve been in education for over fifteen years and am in school for my bachelor’s/certificate and we are trained in SEL for the entirety of early childhood up to puberty (up to adulthood in my case, because I’m in special education). The actual academic content is a very small part of building a curriculum, it’s more about how to teach than what to teach. It’s not even a given that a teacher in any given school will be teaching the same grade year after year, some schools do looping and have students with the same teacher two years in a row, then the teacher gets a brand new class and does another two year cycle with them. But a certified elementary school teacher can adjust to any elementary level grade. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4