Type keyword(s) to search

S48.E03: Megan Thee Stallion

• Start Topic

Chloe was hilarious in the cold open as Nancy Pelosi, Jan 6.

Megan TS has been great in the sketches. I liked the Hot Chicks sketch. It's been the best of the show unless I'm forgetting something. The tiny butts sketch was boring and went on too long. The "brought" song was meh.

I liked the shivering girls, sketch, too. 

And last sketch is very good. Might be best of show.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I really missed Alex Moffat as Schumer.

I thought Kenan sold the Deer sketch.

This does seem like a transition show. Everybody just trying to find their way.

They could really use Cecily back.

• Like 4

Cold Open: Starting with the J6 committee. Monotone nerds with powerpoint presentations indeed. Sarah was perfect as Chuck Schumer, and Chloe as Pelosi. 

Monologue: Megan Thee Stallion came here knowing what she wanted to do. She brought a monologue, no interruptions or anything. Liking this energy. BTW badbitcheshavebaddaystoo.com is a real site.

Hot Girl Hospital: This was silly. If going on a little too long. "I don't feel comfortable reviewing this as a white guy. Five stars." Certainly sums up the episode.

We Got Brought: Oh god, too accurate. I hate awkward conversations with friends of friends.

Deer: Another awkward nightmare. Everyone's seeing something cool but you can't find it. The deer at the window (and later next to Kenan) was killing me. 

Girl Talk: The Dionne Warwick Show is back with the serial numbers filed off. The subtitle gag saved this. Loved that one "Girl" was translated into a giant wall of text explaining the war in Ukraine.

Please Don't Destroy: A back to basics dumb PDD sketch! Loved this. "It's like zoloft but just the side effects."

WU: They saved the Hershel Walker bit for an Update joke. Because I'd throw my hands up trying to satirize that, too. Describing Mitch McConnell as "watching someone getting injured at the Special Olympics" has to be my favorite "seen here" joke they've done. The two Texas moms bit was just silly, especially when just saying "Hole and Bussy" broke Che.

I liked Devon Walker's bit. Gotta love the random woman in the audience who shouted "yeah" when he asked if he looked like a catcaller. I liked how every week they've been giving one of the new people a moment to shine.

Workout: What was up with the camerapeople in this sketch? It kept cutting to the wrong people. It made an already awkward sketch just hard to watch. 

St. Andrew's Center For Shivering Girls: Relatable. What is it with girlfriends and stealing tshirts and being cold in 74 degree houses? I liked seeing the Tanjiro pillow in Heidi's room.

Ms. Fink: Loved the reveal that it was a STEM level honors physics class. Yeah, the line between honor students and burnouts is incredibly blurry.

All in all, pretty okay episode. I appreciated Megan Thee Stallion having total commitment to everything. Jack Harlow does double duty on the 29th.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I am OBSESSED with Megan's long, curving expressive fingers! 

And I am fascinated with how quiet the forum has been tonight.

Megan is a blessing, bringing great energy.. The ENTIRE Black cast is working tonight! And I think she's been in every skit, excepting WU. 

My daughter and I are having A BLAST! We feel this season is finally finding its footing with this episode.  

Oh, and in her second performance, Megan's "pants" had pockets! 

And I love, love, LOVE how the final skit totally upended expectations. 

Overall, quite pleased with this episode.  No sound issues for me, no problem understanding dialog. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

St. Andrew's Center For Shivering Girls: Relatable. What is it with girlfriends and stealing tshirts and being cold in 74 degree houses? I liked seeing the Tanjiro pillow in Heidi's room.

I'm borderline anemic with minimal body fat; I'm cold, okay?! 😭  /girl who wears sweaters in summer

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Love 3

I love MTS. I think she was lip syncing and skipping parts of her songs, though, and I wonder if she'll get flak for that.

The show seems to have decided not to take poltics seriously and just mock everything without regard to whether or not there's merit to the critiques. It's not my favorite approach.

I really love the new cast members. I like that the show has seemed to decide to make room for them this season, instead of letting them die in the background. Everybody's getting a chance to show what they can do. I hope it means more of an ensemble atmosphere and less of a fight to the death backstage.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

And I am fascinated with how quiet the forum has been tonight.

Sorry - watching baseball tonight (and even now!).  I'll try to come up with a reasoned critique after I watch.  I like MTS and am looking forward to it.

• Applause 1
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I love MTS. I think she was lip syncing and skipping parts of her songs, though, and I wonder if she'll get flak for that.

She was emotional and maybe even crying during the first performance. Her fans online say it's because of her lyrics about her mother.

16 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

And I love, love, LOVE how the final skit totally upended expectations. 

That was one sketch that was kind of good I thought. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Sorry - watching baseball tonight (and even now!).

Same! 

I thought they tried hard in the Cold Open, but the audience didn't seem into it all.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JeanJean said:

She was quite good.  And I liked Sarah Sherman’s Chuck Schumer.  It wasn’t as dead-on an impersonation as Alex Moffat’s but I thought it might have been a little funnier.  I didn’t think the cold open was anything special at all and blends in with the dozens of other congressional sketches they’ve done, but I thought those two did the best job.

I was having a hard time hearing the show, too, in many spots, and I’m at least glad to know it wasn’t necessarily my hearing getting even worse.

Nothing “wowed” me tonight.  There were some good ideas but I just didn’t feel they fully executed on them.  Like the deer sketch:  it was funny when they had actual footage of a bunny riding a deer, but the deer coming inside the house was kind of a meh way to level it up.  Or the “Brought Along” song:  very relatable idea, but it just didn’t hit for me.  Megan had great energy, though, and I liked her first song, which I had never heard (Anxiety?).  Talk about relatable.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I was having a hard time hearing the show, too, in many spots, and I’m at least glad to know it wasn’t necessarily my hearing getting even worse.

I'm not sure about the overall sound issue. However, in the monologue, Megan spoke so quickly that I had no idea what she was saying half of the time. Gave up on tonight's show pretty quickly and watched my Yankees get killed by Cleveland instead.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I thought it was just me!

The sound problems in the Girl Talk sketch were so bad, I've rarely heard them to that degree on the show. The sketch wasn't great either way but I did enjoy the work from Andrew and Ego until hearing Kenan backstage took over any momentum.

The teacher sketch also had bad audio. 

They replaced two of the sketches with dress rehearsal versions for Youtube. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm borderline anemic with minimal body fat; I'm cold, okay?! 😭  /girl who wears sweaters in summer

I Thought I Was The Only Person Who Got Cold ! I Used To Have An Electric Blanket And I Would Have That Turned On In The Summer ! There Is A Man Named Randy AT The Sheffield Senior Center And Last Friday, Randy Was Wearing His Coat Even Though I Felt Okay ! ! 

• Love 1

I didn’t notice a sound problem, I thought it was just me. In the monologue, she spoke so fast I couldn’t understand what she was saying and the same in both her songs. She definitely seemed to be lip synching to me. As a white girl, I felt that about half the sketches were not targeted to me and that I don’t have the right to review them. I don’t know whether that is a good or bad thing. I did wonder why the teacher sketches always seem to be at the end of the night. That was one of the best from my standpoint. (I may be biased because my name is Amy and I have heard the joke about how that is one of the whitest girl names before). For me the other highlights were some of the prerecorded ones, such as the Brought Along and boyfriend sweatshirt ones. I though she was one of the better hosts since she was in almost every sketch and she fully committed to everything. It would make sense that if there were sound issues, then the prerecorded ones would be easier to understand. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

The show seems to have decided not to take poltics seriously and just mock everything without regard to whether or not there's merit to the critiques. It's not my favorite approach.

I really love the new cast members. I like that the show has seemed to decide to make room for them this season, instead of letting them die in the background. Everybody's getting a chance to show what they can do. I hope it means more of an ensemble atmosphere and less of a fight to the death backstage.

They Did TWO Things In The News On Tonight's Show ! They Did A Sketch About Body Shaming Except They Were Against The Thin Women Instead OF Being Against Over Weight Women ! There Was A Sketch About Presuming That Black People Do Not Do Well In School, But, The Teacher Was Wrong And The Students Were Honor Students ! 

22 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

She was quite good.  And I liked Sarah Sherman’s Chuck Schumer.  It wasn’t as dead-on an impersonation as Alex Moffat’s but I thought it might have been a little funnier.  I didn’t think the cold open was anything special at all and blends in with the dozens of other congressional sketches they’ve done, but I thought those two did the best job.

Nothing “wowed” me tonight.  There were some good ideas but I just didn’t feel they fully executed on them.  Like the deer sketch:  it was funny when they had actual footage of a bunny riding a deer, but the deer coming inside the house was kind of a meh way to level it up.  Or the “Brought Along” song:  very relatable idea, but it just didn’t hit for me.  Megan had great energy, though, and I liked her first song, which I had never heard (Anxiety?).  Talk about relatable.

I Enjoyed The First Song And I Liked Her Gown In The First Song ! ! How Ever, I Really Liked The Second Song Even More Than The First Song ! I Liked That Drum Beat And Her Dancing In The Second Song ! How Ever, I Did Not Really Care For That Out Fit And The Baggy Pants OR Out Fit ! I Would Not Know How To Even Put That On ! I Did Not Even Know What She Was Wearing In The Second Song ! WAs That A One Piece Suit OR What m? 

22 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I DID Like How They Looked Like Beauty Contestants , But, Instead Of Saying I guess What State OR Country They Were Representing, They Had The Words Insecure And Anxiety And How The Contestants Felt About Them Selves ! ! 

8 hours ago, JeanJean said:

The tiny butts sketch was boring and went on too long.

Both that and the WU bit with Chloe and Heidi as anti-Hocus Pocus moms irritated me because I didn't feel as if there was any need for both of them to be doing the same thing. I didn't feel any kind of interesting dynamic between them. In the butts sketch I don't know if it would have worked better to have one of them as the tiny butt instructor and the other as a class member, especially since it seemed like everyone in the class was there for Megan's lesson.

I thought Chloe and Sarah did well evoking impressions of Pelosi and Schumer even if the sketch was typically toothless as far as satire goes.

6 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Like the deer sketch:  it was funny when they had actual footage of a bunny riding a deer,

I don't think that was actual footage of a bunny on the deer. And although I was mildly amused by Megan trying to help Kenan look in the right direction, I was distracted by the fact that the deer was in the middle of a field and not near any pine tree or rocks as described in the dialogue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Please Don't Destroy: A back to basics dumb PDD sketch! Loved this. "It's like zoloft but just the side effects."

Did you know you can just delete money from your bank account?

That was one of my favorite sketches of theirs.

They'd better give Molly a Weekend Update slot in the next episode.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

I didn’t notice a sound problem, I thought it was just me. In the monologue, she spoke so fast I couldn’t understand what she was saying and the same in both her songs. She definitely seemed to be lip synching to me. As a white girl, I felt that about half the sketches were not targeted to me and that I don’t have the right to review them.

Oh, PSYCHOBUNNY even as a Black Dude I feel you. Seems like a lot of the content was, ah, tailored to what the suits believe to be MTS's fan base. Big butts, tiny butts, oh how funny (Not). Guess what? I'm one brother who's really not all that into prodigious posteriors.

But I don't feel that being Caucasian prohibits you from reviewing/commenting on the content. Comedy, like music, can only be good or bad, IMO. Overall though, I've been watching SNL since its inaugural season in 1975 and it feels like it's time to wrap this thing up. Lorne was recently quoted as saying that the show's 50th anniversary in 2025 would be a good time to go. It's gonna be a rough two years methinks.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Sound problems or not, I just can’t catch everything when a higher tone voice is used for fast talk dialogue. I had the same issue with Hot Girl Hospital as I did with the Texas Moms bit in WU. I’m probably going to go online and rewatch those two (and the monologue) with captioning.

1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Overall though, I've been watching SNL since its inaugural season in 1975 and it feels like it's time to wrap this thing up. Lorne was recently quoted as saying that the show's 50th anniversary in 2025 would be a good time to go. It's gonna be a rough two years methinks.

I’ve felt that way on and off since probably 1976 - LOL. I really like what I’ve seen of the new cast members and the Do Not Destroy guys, so I hate to write this show off. But then some weeks I’m more, “Maybe it should just be a half hour and all Weekend Update?” Ha!

• Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I thought Megan TS gave it her all, and that was really impressive.  I'm not what most people would think of as her target audience, but I'm old enough not to care, and to enjoy want I enjoy, so thanks!

I thought Hot Girl Hospital started off strong, but went on a little too long; I enjoyed the cold open and Weekend Update, and The Please Don't Destroy guys and the deer sketch were really funny--they didn't wait too long to bring the deer in the house. 

So--perfect, no (I hope they get the sound worked out), but worth my time.  If you haven't watched/re-watched yet, I strongly recommend closed captioning.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

I thought Megan TS gave it her all, and that was really impressive.  I'm not what most people would think of as her target audience, but I'm old enough not to care, and to enjoy want I enjoy, so thanks!

She's a trooper, I'll give her that.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

As a white girl, I felt that about half the sketches were not targeted to me and that I don’t have the right to review them. I don’t know whether that is a good or bad thing.

Oh, you absolutely have the right to review these sketches. I mean, are the majority of SNL sketches targeted to non-white people? Not necessarily. Can we watch and be amused (or not) by them? Absolutely. Can we review them? For sure!

I am a Black woman, and I think that a tremendous amount of what fueled my laughter this episode was that so much of the humor/writing was so specifically targeted, and that a goodly portion of the audience would be absolutely flabbergasted. 

It wasn't necessarily great writing (that's been an issue for SNL for a loooooong while now), but it had a point of view. And, Megan' s presence apparently allowed Black cast members more screen time than they have had in pretty much forever. I'm not mad about that.

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes! Either it appealed to your sense of humor or it didn't. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

We Got Brought: Oh god, too accurate. I hate awkward conversations with friends of friends.

If Megan was Punkie's sister, shouldn't she have also grown up with Punkie's friends?  Maybe not best friends, but she wouldn't have been stuck with Bowen and Ego.  Perhaps she was supposed to be a lot older or younger, but I doubt the writers gave it any thought. This bugged me more than it should have. A cousin would have been better. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

I think this was probably my favorite of this season's episodes so far. Although the other two episodes may have had a few highlights better than anything in this episode (Spotted Lanternfly, Molly's skit last week), this is the first episode that felt overall pretty good across the board for me. Not "great," but at least I wasn't bored.

Sherman and Fineman as Schumer and Pelosi were hilarious. I think I liked Fineman's Pelosi a little better, or maybe just in a different way, than McKinnon's. Hot Girl Hospital and the Texas Moms against Hocus Pocus bit were great, too. I like that they've given most of the new castmembers time in Weekend Update the past three weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

If Megan was Punkie's sister, shouldn't she have also grown up with Punkie's friends?  Maybe not best friends, but she wouldn't have been stuck with Bowen and Ego.  Perhaps she was supposed to be a lot older or younger, but I doubt the writers gave it any thought. This bugged me more than it should have. A cousin would have been better. 

Megan specifically said she had flown in from Texas, so I assumed Punkie had been living in NYC for some length of time, made new friends, and Megan had not previously visited. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The two Texas moms bit was just silly,

That the Hocus Pocus movie is demonic was a thing on twitter this week, SNL didn't make it all up themselves. They didn't even really exaggerate it at all. It's hard to spoof the state of the world sometimes, because the world is already so extreme.

I think they had the two of them in the sketch so they could do the exorcism bit.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Expand  

Megan specifically said she had flown in from Texas, so I assumed Punkie had been living in NYC for some length of time, made new friends, and Megan had not previously visited. 

I would normally agree, but Ego asked how the three of them met and they said: "We all grew up together." Now, I know it was written that way to rhyme with "Heather," but the line could have been: "We went to school together," and it bugged me, because Megan would likely have known the kids her sister grew up with.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, SHD said:

“Maybe it should just be a half hour and all Weekend Update?” Ha!

Genius. I'd show up for that every single week. Even when they fail to bring their "A" games, Colin and Che are consistently amusing, regardless of what else might be going on with the rest of the show. A spin-off worth doing.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 5

I really liked most of the show and thought MTS did a great job... except for the musical numbers (no offense, just not my thing...yeah, I'm a Boomer.) I even liked Sarah as Chuck Schumer!!! Also, was kinda bored by the Heidi/Chloe segment on WU. I miss Cecily!!!

Lol, I might would watch Bridgerton if MTS was on it. Love her energy. H-town represent!

The deer pulled a knife. (Seriously, all I could think about when the deer was inside the house was, "and now you all have lyme disease."🤢)

So I can skip the October 29 episode. Thanks for the advance warning, SNL.

Meh, I don't think Devon Walker was ready for WU. His nervousness was palpable. And he could've done more with the TX versus NY thing.

Sigh, the term they were looking for in the Sgt Cake sketch is "long back."

MTS did a good job of bleeping herself during her second music performance, hah hah. I didn't realize how much of her lyrics aren't safe for broadcast TV.

My stupid local NBC station cut off the women's charity skit to play political ads which run 98 gazillion times a day as it is. Now I gotta go watch it on YouTube.

Yeah it's sad there's such a teacher shortage that several states are no longer requiring college degrees to get certified to teach at high school level and below. I'd be surprised if that were happening with honors STEM classes though. And dang, sometimes it be your own people. 😉

I was really hoping they'd do something with the M3GAN movie trailer that set the internet on fire this week, especially since Tina Snow officially liked it on twitter. Maybe they're waiting until the movie is released next year.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Mine neither. And the show makes fun of people's appearances too often. What was the 'joke' about Adam Schiff? That he has staring eyes? I wonder if they had Schiff there just so Michael Longfellow would have something to do. (Did he appear in anything else last night?) The bald cap he wore looked ridiculous, and he looked nothing like Schiff. 

12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She was emotional and maybe even crying during the first performance. Her fans online say it's because of her lyrics about her mother.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't understand the lyrics -- Nothing new for me there -- but from the visuals I got the feeling I would like the song's message. 

12 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

She was quite good.  And I liked Sarah Sherman’s Chuck Schumer.  It wasn’t as dead-on an impersonation as Alex Moffat’s but I thought it might have been a little funnier.  

Yes, I think Alex was very good as Schumer, but Sarah's was pretty funny. Maybe that was due to what she had to work with. If you watched the actual video of Pelosi and Schumer, the dynamic the sketch portrayed was accurate.

4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Both that and the WU bit with Chloe and Heidi as anti-Hocus Pocus moms irritated me because I didn't feel as if there was any need for both of them to be doing the same thing.

I hadn't heard anything about the anti-Hocus Pocus moms, but I assumed that in reality the two moms appeared together, and that's why Chloe and Heidi did as well. No? 

Chloe and Heidi looked like they had a lot of fun in the sketches they appeared in together.

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Did you know you can just delete money from your bank account?

OMG, that was hilarious, my favorite line from the sketch and maybe from the entire ep.

In other news, reading "MTS" here makes me think of MTG (Marjorie Taylor Greene). Not a good thing.

Did Marcello Hernandez show up in any sketches? BTW, I wanted to mention that he reminds me of Jaboukie Young-White.

This has been said before many times, but James Austin Johnson's Trump impression is SO GOOD. It's not just the voice but also the mannerisms, facial expressions, and the actual way of talking. I'm assuming he writes the lines himself.

Hot Girl Hospital was ok, maybe went on too long.

I liked We Got Brought. Been there.

The country cabin sketch was weird but good. Who came up with this? I thought the business of MTS telling Kenan to follow the angle of her finger was fine at first but was then beaten to death. Oh, when Molly said, "Mr Reynolds, he's got a knife!" I cracked up. 

The Please Don't Destroy video was great. Many funny lines.

In WU, what was the story about the guy who made a sex tape for his campaign? I mean, wha?

I just shuddered (as I think the audience did), when Colin told the story about the doctor removing two dozen contact lenses from a patient's eyes. That's insane. I wear contacts, and once I put one in, saw it was blurrier than before, and realized I had forgotten to take my contacts out the previous night. But twelve in each eye?!??!

I can't say I really cared for Devon Walker's segment, though I appreciate the show giving the new members a turn in the spotlight.

In the classroom sketch, when Ego was going on about the students not being dumb and so forth, I had the feeling we were learn they were in an advanced class. Ego was great in this.

• Love 3