Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E02: Patience Is the New Me

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Skooma said:

I think you mean Frank from Frank and Margarita.  He indeed was a working model at the time.  I never heard Margarita was though so I don't know about her. 

No, I meant Lenny and Karyn. I didn't mean that modeling was their main career, but I am almost certain at some point I heard that both of them had done some offhand modeling, though now I can't remember where or when I heard that. Maybe it even happened after the show. But I would swear I even saw a couple of pictures from their portfolios and I was blown away because, yeah, neither one screamed 'model' while watching the show, lol. I don't think I'm making this up, but my memory has failed me before, so.... Anyway, this is a topic for a different thread, lol.

• Like 1

Boy, I’ve missed making fun of Rex Ryan. 

Team T-Rex took their Phillimenation well, and joked that their buddies back home will certainly be ready and willing to tease them about their yodeling, bell ringing and etc.  But imagine how their pals from the football and law enforcement worlds would "give them the business" if Rex and his partner had danced a wedding dance together!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Quinton (one of the cheerleaders) won me over early when he told the map "stop it right now." It was a little thing but I deeply relate to channeling my frustration into speaking to the inanimate objects causing said frustration.

This felt like a real public embarrassment sort of leg with the costumes and two performance tasks (though I guess bells could be done in a bit of privacy... it's still all being filmed for TV). Having so many performance tasks was a little rough but then again there are apparently even more dancers than we originally thought so it makes sense to show that off. 

When the yodelers were initially introduced, their skill/talent level seemed to... vary. Especially the one who looked like a knockoff James Corden. I wonder if the choice in judge affected how well the racers learned the songs. It was a little rough to watch so I'm glad they edited it to mostly focus on the people with some musical ability and give us a choppy version of everyone else's multiple attempts. I was impressed with Michael (military brother) and Glenda the most. Not only did they finish quickly but you could tell from pitch and especially some of Glenda's soprano notes that they have some musical ability. 

Now that we actually spent some time with them, I started to like Claire more. She was clearly struggling but she didn't get KF and I found her dry asides pretty funny. Also, the off camera "we love bells" made me crack up later in the episode. 

Linton (father/daughter team) is so wholesome. There are still too many teams but I'm starting to get attached to them. 

I didn't expect the dance instructor to get confused by having to teach a dance with gendered parts... and then getting two identical twin sisters. That was pretty funny.

I didn't really noticed the teeth but after everyone kept mentioning it in the last thread, all I could see were those chompers.

I kept waiting for the hat thing to come back and looking at everyone's heads... glad there was some payoff at the end. I enjoyed the first episode more overall but this episode had good moments and they built up a lot of drama with the last three teams. While not following the rules (hat) and navigating poorly are fair reasons to get eliminated, I kind of liked that the losing team just struggled a lot (10 attempts) at their last task. The only thing diminishing the drama was that I would have been equally happy with any of those teams going... or staying. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And yet, strangely, I failed to notice...

This might be wrong, but I would assume @iMonrey is a straight/bi women or gay/bi man and you are not. It's like a female host with massive Boobs in a revealing dress walking towards the camera. Impossible not to notice if that's your thing.

7 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I'm not liking these singing challenges....some people abs cannot sing, and adding its a foreign language and the moves required is asking a lot of non-professional performers. 

Well they didn't judge on the singing talent. Otherwise some teams would still be there. You had to keep very basic rythm and that was it. You didn't even have to remember the words.

7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I think she was telling porky-pies in the hope of some leniency from Phil. How can you expect me to find a hat that could be literally anywhere in the whole town?

I don't think so. She would have to be super dumb for that. Of course production knows where the hat is.

22 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

When the yodelers were initially introduced, their skill/talent level seemed to... vary. Especially the one who looked like a knockoff James Corden.

I was wondering if that dude was maybe sick that day. Because his voice was rough.  But you'd think during covid times they would have sprayed him with lysol and put him in a quarantine tent, if that was the case.

But I don't think that effected anything. Didn't seem like they were judging on pitch at all.

25 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Now that we actually spent some time with them, I started to like Claire more. She was clearly struggling but she didn't get KF and I found her dry asides pretty funny. Also, the off camera "we love bells" made me crack up later in the episode. 

It would be a bit early for KF. This is literally the second leg.

• Applause 1

It would be a bit early for KF. This is literally the second leg.

Have you met Dom? She was bringing so much intensity to the Bells task and was pouring sweat when they got back with the hat. If they weren't young and fit, I'd be worried about them (okay, her) keeling over each leg. Each leg seems so much more exhausting for her than anyone else, even when they're ahead of others. 

• Love 2

But I hope that yelling "Boom Boom!" doesn't become an every week thing.

The one mark against Glenda and Lumumba right now. Thank goodness it's only a planned nickname.

I know I would have left the hat somewhere. Probably up in the meadow. Given it to a kid. 

Can't tell if you mean a child or a goat 😄

I'm surprisingly sorry to see Rex and his very white teeth go.  I didn't expect him to be such a good sport about his own ineptitude.  

After what I learned here, I definitely watched him through the Bells task thinking "this is a man who knows how to coach a losing team."

And I think they should have made them memorize the yodels! Reading them seemed way too easy to me.

I would have done Bells Ringin' over Partner Swingin' - the latter seemed much harder, and the bells had the notes right there in front of them, it would only have taken me a few practices to do that.

I feel like in a past season they might have made them memorize the songs and the pattern for the bells. They definitely went easier on them by providing lyrics for yodeling and a music sheet with labeled bells.

I was amused by how the blonde bell ringing instructor had such a look of exasperation after one team (football coach and buddy?) were taking so long to get it right. Then she had to go sit down for a while. Funny. 

I felt sorry for the tall blonde instructor at Bells, since it seemed like she had to sit there for ages listening to teams not get it.

Not entirely sure what was going on there and if everyone cheering was a potential instructor but I only saw the blond woman and the brunette (or redhead?) teaching. The latter seemed much more enthusiastic but I think the blond instructor had teams who did many more rounds... and she didn't seem to be wearing earplugs. I'd need to sit down too. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I would have rather had Rex freaking Ryan stay on the race, that's how annoying I find Dom. She's going to lose her shit entirely at some point and it isn't going to be pretty - TBD whether that will be on or off of our TV screens.

I agree.  I was happy though that Phil made them go back and get her hat instead of just giving them a 30 minute penalty (do they still do that, I just started watching again last season).  Too bad it didn't take enough time to get them eliminated.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

My top takeaways from this episode:

Too bad the twins didn’t sign a less restrictive contract that will let them spend time together after the race. I felt very bad knowing that once they were eliminated, their chance to get to know each other was over. Damn that Phil and his medieval clauses.

Can you explain this? I've been watching TAR since the last episode of S1 and am unfamiliar with this rule. Why would the twins not be able to continue to get to know each other after the race is over?

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I agree.  I was happy though that Phil made them go back and get her hat instead of just giving them a 30 minute penalty (do they still do that, I just started watching again last season).  Too bad it didn't take enough time to get them eliminated.

There hasn't been a penalty in a loooong time. Either teams aren't as sloppy anymore or there isn't as much opportunity to screw up or the TPTB are more lenient.

But there still are penalties, theoretically. I'm sure had Dom really lost her hat in the streets, she would have gotten a penalty instead of Phil saying that she needed to get it.

5 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

Can you explain this? I've been watching TAR since the last episode of S1 and am unfamiliar with this rule. Why would the twins not be able to continue to get to know each other after the race is over?

@30 Helens is being sarcastic. Because the twins say all the time that this is their opportunity to get to know each other and that they have to stay in the race so they can get to know each other better.

Because of course the twins could just get to know each other after the race. In fact they will be sequestered together until the race is over, if they are eleminated and could probably get to know each other better there than on the race course.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2022 at 4:01 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Right street in the wrong city (and this time even country). An absolute classic and funny every time. Still glad that the Cheerleader could pull it out in the end. I like them.

I don't see how it's even possible you accidentally drive into another country.  There are checkpoints and passport checks.  As soon as they saw they were headed into Germany, they should have known they were going the wrong way.

• Love 1
On 9/28/2022 at 11:17 PM, Giuseppe said:

Maybe a minority opinion, but I'm not a fan of these performance-based singing/dancing/reciting tasks that seem to be so popular now, and I especially don't like when basically all the tasks on a leg are of this nature.

I like them well enough, but I agree that all three tasks in the same leg shouldn't be this type.  A choice between a judged task and a physical non-judged task would've been better.

I'd rather have kept Team T-Rex.  Dom was less annoying this leg, but it is only a matter of time before she melts down.

I never, ever, ever want to hear yodeling again.  Except maybe in Ricola commercials.

On 9/29/2022 at 1:59 AM, Fukui San said:

Aside from all the pro dancers, I don't know how anyone else chooses the dancing over the bells. It was very intricate, particularly for the knee slapper's part.

I would've chosen the dancing because I'm good at learning dance steps.  But the friend with whom I'd do the race probably would've chosen bells.  Although maybe not, since she did tap dancing when she was a kid.

On 9/29/2022 at 6:39 AM, Haleth said:

I'm surprisingly sorry to see Rex and his very white teeth go.  I didn't expect him to be such a good sport about his own ineptitude.

I think they might've had a chance if Tim had done the yodeling.

18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Everyone except Luis and Michelle. So he's a firefighter and she's a backup dancer? I'm not sure what their "hook" is. Team . . . Married? I mean, so what?

I think of them as Team Miami because that's where they live.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I don't see how it's even possible you accidentally drive into another country.  There are checkpoints and passport checks.  As soon as they saw they were headed into Germany, they should have known they were going the wrong way.

They started the leg in Munich, which is in Germany. The first task was near Innsbruck in Austria. There are no visible borders or passport checks between Germany and Austria, nor the other Schengen countries. That's how you can just drive from one country to the other. The only thing that will indicate that you crossed into the other country is a sign on the side of the road

So the problem wasn't that they accidentally drove to another country, the problem was that they didn't drive to another country, but stayed in the same country, even in the same city (Munich).

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Was anyone else reciting a mantra to the hat: “Don’t be in the car. Don’t be in the car”? Because I think the universe betrayed us all with that one.

Totally.

16 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

If you're going from one EU country to another, there are no passport checks.  And depending on the countries and the roads, it's actually very easy to accidentally drive to the wrong country.  We've seen it happen on AR.

• Love 4

It's like less than an hour from Munich to the Austrian border.

They didn't go to Salzburg but the drive from Munich to Austria is on this 3 or 4 lane highway and there's no slowing down, you just cross the border without thinking about it.

However, cars from outside of Austria need to get a vignette or sticker which covers the cost of what would otherwise be toll roads.

Presumably TAR already set up the cars with these because they didn't stop.  I once drove from Munich to Austria and right before I crossed the border, I pulled over to a gas station to buy the vignette for my rental car.

• Useful 4
33 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

@30 Helens is being sarcastic. Because the twins say all the time that this is their opportunity to get to know each other and that they have to stay in the race so they can get to know each other better.

Because of course the twins could just get to know each other after the race. In fact they will be sequestered together until the race is over, if they are eleminated and could probably get to know each other better there than on the race course.

Well thanks for this, I was hoping it was sarcasm but thought I had missed something. My brain is a little fried from my flu shot.

Re: the cheerleaders, when they were told  it would only take them 10 minutes to get to the task I knew something was wrong because another team had been told 2 hours. They really took it so well, it was refreshing.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

Re: the cheerleaders, when they were told  it would only take them 10 minutes to get to the task I knew something was wrong because another team had been told 2 hours.

I still don't understand how they apparently ended up hours behind when at the most they should have lost maybe 30 minutes.  

Just now, Quilt Fairy said:

I still don't understand how they apparently ended up hours behind when at the most they should have lost maybe 30 minutes.  

They are horrible at navigating. They lost time every time the traveled between tasks. But it wasn't exactly hours either. 30 minutes seems about right. I mean they did pass one team in the end.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Boom Boom is a stupid nickname for a baby boy. It’s an even worse nickname for a baby girl. They better get to work on an alternative. (Also, you know they’re gonna call that little boy Boom Boom until he’s, like, 8. Poor kid is pre-cursed.)

We had a neighbor kid called Bam-Bam (yes, as in the Flinstones) and I don't think he ever lived it down.  Good sport about it, but it really stuck..

Agree with others that this episode was 30 minutes too long.  It wasn't that interesting to me.  When Phil said that listening to the yodeling might be painful, wow was he right.  Also, I feel like the first yodel song at least had a tune, but the third one especially was tuneless.  And I didn't find that the song for the bells had much of a tune either, it was just picking up seemingly random bells and shaking them.

I didn't like that all of the tasks this episode were all music-related.  Yodeling, and bells or dancing in sync with the music.  

On 9/29/2022 at 12:59 AM, Fukui San said:

Aside from all the pro dancers, I don't know how anyone else chooses the dancing over the bells. It was very intricate, particularly for the knee slapper's part.

All the attractive young dating couples are still blurring together a bit. Aside from the very tall lady. She stands out. But I hope that yelling "Boom Boom!" doesn't become an every week thing.

The knee slapping would have gotten me, I don't know how any of those people learned it so quickly.

There's a bunch of teams that I don't know their names (unmemorable generic white dating couple is one of them) but I think I can at least recognise them all.  Except there are two teams of male/female and both I believe are Hispanic or vaguely Hispanic and I cannot tell the difference between those teams at all.  All I remember is that one of the women owns a dance studio, but otherwise, it shocked me when I finally realised that they weren't the same team.

On 9/29/2022 at 12:48 PM, RockShrimp said:

To be fair, if the Bells task really didn't mention the accordion it was probably a lot harder than it looked, learning to play a rhythm or melody and doing it while something else is playing a different part is different.

I do wonder if the teams could have switched "gender roles" at the dancing, since the men's part looked harder and more intricate and some of the women were more trained. The same gender teams got to choose, so why not everyone.

Was wondering the same thing... the male part was definitely harder.  I feel cheated of seeing Rex and his friend trying to decide who was going to dance the female part.  Given how bad they were at the yodeling and the bells, it's obvious they have no musicality at all, and I think watching them dance would have been comedy gold.

• LOL 2

Have they mentioned where they live? (Because I completely missed Will and Abby saying they're from Alabama.) I imagine if their home states are super far apart, that might be why they're cherishing their time together in person, as well as the lack of normal responsibilities. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Was wondering the same thing... the male part was definitely harder.  I feel cheated of seeing Rex and his friend trying to decide who was going to dance the female part.  Given how bad they were at the yodeling and the bells, it's obvious they have no musicality at all, and I think watching them dance would have been comedy gold.

I was telling my daughter that there was a season or two where the teams had to wear local costumes but each team had to wear one male and one female costume. The Globetrotters in the Netherlands were fine, but another team in Poland (different season) practically came to blows over who would wear the 'girl' costume.

I thought the male cheerleader did the slapping part of the dance as well and as quickly as the locals. He was really very good.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Have they mentioned where they live? (Because I completely missed Will and Abby saying they're from Alabama.) I imagine if their home states are super far apart, that might be why they're cherishing their time together in person, as well as the lack of normal responsibilities. 

Yeah, but not matter what, they aren't going home till the race is over.

4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I thought the male cheerleader did the slapping part of the dance as well and as quickly as the locals. He was really very good.

The judge actually said "that was near perfect" to them and then had to correct himself with the scripted "austrian style" bullshit. Which I took to mean that it was actually near perfect and not just "good enough for a bunch of amateurs".

• Love 1

I enjoyed the yodeling, but the detour was too much like the roadblock to me - all musical type challenges, so if you are tone deaf, or rhythmically challenged, the whole leg is a nightmare. I was sad to see T-Rex go. They were one of the only recognizable teams for me.

There are just too many teams at this point for me to know them all, and it really feels like there are several that are similar. I like the military guys, the cheerleaders, Tall wife/short husband, and the twins and Jamaica Dad/daughter. I loathe motivational speaker with rainbow hair. Everyone else is just there.

I think it's interesting that they were released at the start of the leg in groups rather than staggered start times based on last leg finish times. I love the self navigation. I hope it continues - it always adds some organic travel drama that is missing from the show now that they all travel on the same planes instead of booking their own flights.

Is the Scramble concept just for the first leg, or will there be more legs that use that? Maybe if they fly somewhere and all get off the plane at the same time?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, jah1986 said:

Well thanks for this, I was hoping it was sarcasm but thought I had missed something. My brain is a little fried from my flu shot.

Yep, just a joke.

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Quinton (one of the cheerleaders) won me over early when he told the map "stop it right now." It was a little thing but I deeply relate to channeling my frustration into speaking to the inanimate objects causing said frustration.

Heh- I missed this. I would have enjoyed it, too, because I also talk to my stuff. Hello, fellow weirdo. 😁

• Love 1

If one twin could take the "man's" part, I don't see why Glenda and Lumbumba couldn't switch parts!  But they made it work.  Yeah, the Boom-Boom is the only strike against them.  

Mer-fairy, huh?  And your hair is your fish tail?  I am very confused.  Mainly because I don't want to think about it any more.

When Phil was introducing the pit stop and the camera swooped in on him standing facing away from the mat and then panned around him until it was facing him with the mat in front of him, and he must have turned at the exact same tempo--that was pretty cool.  

Sure were a lot of accordions.  Maybe the trainers/clue-givers fell victim to the old joke, "I left my car parked with my accordion in the back seat, and when I got back, someone had broken in--and left another accordion!" and so they had to have them at both challenges. I did like how the bells accordiompanist seemed to quietly revel in playing the accordiquivalent of a sad trombone when the ringers messed up.

The married couple dubs themselves "Team Croqueta" which is the only thing I really remember about them.  

I also enjoyed the shot of young Linton, but when he was getting all teary about being a dad, and them realizing they've had the longest relationship, I have to admit I was touched.  He seems so sweet.  I guess that means Sharik is older than the younger military brother.  

Speaking of, it was funny when he learned his bro had played the clarinet!  

Rather the motivationals had gone than T-Rex, but I suspect that they were not long for the race anyway due to stamina etc.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

With Phil's co-hostess dressed up like Belle in Beauty and the Beast (1991) in her ball gown, I'm surprised no one remarked at how the Pit Stop's ballroom with it's elaborately detailed ceiling resembled the ballroom in the aforementioned movie. I wonder if Disney might have been inspired by this Innsbruck ballroom?

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

With Phil's co-hostess dressed up like Belle in Beauty and the Beast (1991) in her ball gown, I'm surprised no one remarked at how the Pit Stop's ballroom with it's elaborately detailed ceiling resembled the ballroom in the aforementioned movie.

She wasn't. Belle never wore a red dress or a tiara.

I got Sissi-vibes. Even that might be a bit far-fetched, but at least it would be the right country and palace.

grafik.png.8bf4f6b2f3da88f73cbda68084158f89.pnggrafik.png.6f5626d193e89db9f7057e765914285b.png

Beauty and the Beast is set in france and I believe the animators took inspiration from Versailles. Could be wrong on the inspiration though. But here is a picture of the hall of mirrors:

gg3.jpg

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Love 1

Yeah, there are a couple teams that I get confused about, maybe just the women. Cheerleader and dancer look too much alike at this point.

The teams were lucky that the yodeling wasn’t judged on how well they could carry a tune, only on pronunciation and gestures.

I don’t think the male part of the dance was as difficult as it initially looked. It appeared to be a few slaps on the thighs then alternating touching the foot, one in front one in back. Once you got the pattern it wouldn’t be hard. 

On 9/29/2022 at 4:48 PM, Hera said:

I suppose if you grow up with an identical twin, you learn early on to anticipate that kind of thing and how to head it off, but since these two didn't, they're having to learn how to deal with that now.

Emily has a better tan and a fuller face.

The dancing reminded me of European Vacation, costumes and all. 

All I could think of the whole time was Chevy Chase!

We had a neighbor kid called Bam-Bam (yes, as in the Flintstones) and I don't think he ever lived it down.

I used to work with a guy who looked like Barney Rubble.  I kept calling him Barney and that nickname stuck (which he hated).  It stuck to the point that most people didn't even know his real name.  Someone called and asked for him as Alan.  The person answering said that we didn't have an employee by that name and hung up.  Alan not pleased.

• Sad 2
  • LOL 1
On 9/30/2022 at 1:04 AM, aradia22 said:

Have you met Dom? She was bringing so much intensity to the Bells task and was pouring sweat when they got back with the hat. If they weren't young and fit, I'd be worried about them (okay, her) keeling over each leg. Each leg seems so much more exhausting for her than anyone else, even when they're ahead of others. 

Well she is lugging around about 15 pounds of mermaid hair…that’ll tire a person out.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Well she is lugging around about 15 pounds of mermaid hair…that’ll tire a person out.

That 15 pounds is offset by the fact that her head is obviously empty, saving about 3 pounds...

• LOL 3
On 9/30/2022 at 4:07 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

The judge actually said "that was near perfect" to them and then had to correct himself with the scripted "austrian style" bullshit. Which I took to mean that it was actually near perfect and not just "good enough for a bunch of amateurs".

He said the "near perfect" thing to several teams, not just the cheerleaders.  I think the other teams with professional dancers were told that on their attempts, and even Glenda/Lumumba were told that on their eventual successful attempt. 

Unless it was a re-used clip of him saying that, not unlike the obvious re-used clip of the guy with the stopwatch at the Roll obstacle course in the first episode.  But I don't think it was, since he handed the clue over after saying it and there weren't lots of visible cuts.

On 9/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, Ilovepie said:

I think it's interesting that they were released at the start of the leg in groups rather than staggered start times based on last leg finish times.

That's something they started doing last season after the re-start.  Though it meshes with the conceit of this year's Race a little better: no eliminations, but a minor saving grace for the next-to-last by moving them up to starting with at least one other team.

21 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

She wasn't. Belle never wore a red dress or a tiara.

She did wear a red dress of sorts in the mid-quel Christmas movie:

pp_beautyandthe_beasttheenchantedchristm

No tiara though.  Then again, the regular depictions of most Disney princesses don't include tiaras; only Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) and Tiana do.  Although Jasmine's headband with one large jewel might also count as a tiara.  Still, that's only 3 of the official 13 Princess to wear tiaras.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

She did wear a red dress of sorts in the mid-quel Christmas movie:

Let's be real here, nobody counts the direct to video x-quels. ;)

Also still wrong country.

1 hour ago, SVNBob said:

He said the "near perfect" thing to several teams, not just the cheerleaders. 

I would have to rewatch it, but I'm 99% sure he always said "that was near perfect austrian style". Which I asumme is code for "good enough for a bunch of amataurs". To the cheerleader he at first just said "that was near perfect".

• Like 1
On 9/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, anniebird said:

Interesting that the first thing Dom did, when told she needed her hat, was lie - "It fell off when I was running. How can I find it if it's on the street?" Then when she was told that she couldn't check in without it, "I think it's in the car."

On 9/29/2022 at 5:22 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Look I don't love her either, but she didn't lie. At first she thought it fell off in the street, then she still wasn't sure but uttered her mantra "I think it's in the car" to persuade the universe for it to be really there (she is the type for that kind of mumbojumbo). Because otherwise she would have never been able to find it. Also really, that was the only place it could have been. If it had fallen off in the street, Phil would have not had them search for it. They would have just gotten a 15 minute penalty. But I'm not sure if they could think that far in that moment.

I think that she was hoping that they could just have a penalty instead of having to go back and look - figuring that would be faster.  But Phil wasn't having it. But I still remember the team that lost their passports who looked everywhere and couldn't find them and they wound up being eliminated because of it, so I think that if she had indeed lost it in the wild somewhere and not been able to find it, she would have been SOL. 

On 9/29/2022 at 3:32 PM, Grizzly said:

How much stuff is in the car that it took Dom more than 3 seconds to find the hat?

Not only that, they ran away from the car leaving the driver-side door open!

On 9/29/2022 at 5:22 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Oh I forgot: Great placement of the amazing bathmat. It's nice to have something other than "we put it in this park, on some grass" once in a while. A great hall of a castle is certainly an amazing option.

Seriously - I can't believe none of the racers commented on that.  What an amazing building and that was quite a dress that the greeter was wearing.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:15 AM, 30 Helens said:

Boom Boom is a stupid nickname for a baby boy. It’s an even worse nickname for a baby girl. They better get to work on an alternative. (Also, you know they’re gonna call that little boy Boom Boom until he’s, like, 8. Poor kid is pre-cursed.)

My first-born had a nickname when I was pregnant.  I was superstitious, and wouldn't use the baby's actual name until he was born.  The name never stuck.  We never used it after he was born.  We did the same for #2 and also never used the nickname - so maybe their name won't stick either.

I was also impressed how Claire managed to keep her shit together at the yodeling task and was even encouraging of the other teams there.  I have never watched BB so have no preconceived opinions about them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aemom said:

I was also impressed how Claire managed to keep her shit together at the yodeling task and was even encouraging of the other teams there.  I have never watched BB so have no preconceived opinions about them.

That’s just who she is. Even when told she was being evicted and had been lied to (by her best friend and “ally” in the house!) she took it with grace and no rancor. She and Derek are both very kind, self-possessed people with a great sense of humor. I’m hoping they do really well in this race.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, aemom said:

But I still remember the team that lost their passports who looked everywhere and couldn't find them and they wound up being eliminated because of it, so I think that if she had indeed lost it in the wild somewhere and not been able to find it, she would have been SOL. 

A passport is different. They literally can't travel to the next country without it (unless the country is also in the Schengen-zone). If I remember correctly, in the long long ago, there was a team that could get a temporary passport made fast enough that they could continue, but that was only because they had a lot of downtime between legs. Or maybe it was their hope, but it didn't quite work out? Anyway, that is absolutely an option, theoretically.

A lost hat wouldn't have been an automatic elemination but a penalty and I highly doubt that the car was further away than 15 minute round trip. Everything looked very close together.

1 hour ago, PurpleTentacle said:

A passport is different. They literally can't travel to the next country without it (unless the country is also in the Schengen-zone). If I remember correctly, in the long long ago, there was a team that could get a temporary passport made fast enough that they could continue, but that was only because they had a lot of downtime between legs. Or maybe it was their hope, but it didn't quite work out? Anyway, that is absolutely an option, theoretically.

A lost hat wouldn't have been an automatic elemination but a penalty and I highly doubt that the car was further away than 15 minute round trip. Everything looked very close together.

True - but then again it depends on what rules the show has for various things.

It would make total sense to have a penalty for something like that instead of elimination - the tricky thing is to determine how long would someone have to spend time looking before they could give up and be assessed a penalty.

37 minutes ago, aemom said:

It would make total sense to have a penalty for something like that instead of elimination - the tricky thing is to determine how long would someone have to spend time looking before they could give up and be assessed a penalty.

I assume none. Production knows where the thing got lost and if it's likely to be found or not. That will determine if Phil tells you "you'll have to go look for it" or "you have a 15/30 minute penalty, please wait on the side". If production doesn't know where it was lost, they are not going to make you look for it either.

• Love 1

The whole drama about the hat felt like production manipulation to make the eventual elimination more dramatic. Their arrival with the hat was close enough to the next to last couple so that the two teams could be filmed together,  while T-Rex appeared to arrive much later. Even the apparent running up the stairs shot included no one's feet. But it's all part of the fun.

I was surprisingly sorry to see the exit of Team Ghost Teeth. I was expecting arrogance and entitlement, but instead they played with humor and grace. Good for them, as well.

I only know Rex from this show but from what little we saw I wouldn't have expected him to be entitled.   Dom on the other hand with the attitude about the lost hat seemed completely entitled.  When Phil told her about it she just had this look like "why are you this to ME?   It's not MY fault I lost my hat.  It's not MY fault I didn't read the clue.  How dare you not let ME check in."   Even after she found the hat AND had checked in safely she still had a stank attitude.  

• Love 4

Wow. That all musical episode if not the worst episode of a time its clearly in the top 5. Almost as bad as the Japanese game show eps. I feel like I'm still on the yodeling mountainside! The one thing you shouldn't be during a TAR episode is bored but my mind was wandering.

Please, please let it be the case they are cleared to go to Africa and the Asia this year. I don't want to see legs slapping dancers....I want to see out of their element racers shoved on a packed and crowded commuter train in India! That's half the fun seeing the racers as fish out of water.

Won't miss Rex. He felt like he was playing a character and not a real person.

Dom is so gorgeous but that ending on the matt took the chatterbox right out of her. You could see...just absolutely see the toll it took on her nearly costing them the race on something as silly as that hat. 

So again please let's leave Europe behind soon.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2022 at 7:41 PM, Jobiska said:

The married couple dubs themselves "Team Croqueta" which is the only thing I really remember about them. 

They're from Miami.  He's a firefighter and she's a professional dancer who's worked with Pitbull.  OMG, why do I know that? 😵

• LOL 1

My top takeaways from this episode:

Too bad the twins didn’t sign a less restrictive contract that will let them spend time together after the race. I felt very bad knowing that once they were eliminated, their chance to get to know each other was over. Damn that Phil and his medieval clauses.

Derek and Claire really scared me… and really impressed me. I knew they were bright and analytical, but they also seem to be unflusterable, which was key to regaining most of their lost ground. Good for them.

I was surprisingly sorry to see the exit of Team Ghost Teeth. I was expecting arrogance and entitlement, but instead they played with humor and grace. Good for them, as well.

Was anyone else reciting a mantra to the hat: “Don’t be in the car. Don’t be in the car”? Because I think the universe betrayed us all with that one.

What clause?

6 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

What clause?

On 9/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, jah1986 said:
On 9/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, 30 Helens said:

On 9/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

On 9/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, 30 Helens said:

Yep, just a joke.

It was a joke.