Type keyword(s) to search

Season 39 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week 45: 0/5, no *

YTD: 82/225, eleven *, two C *

36.4% 

I might have gotten Guernica, but I saw the answer on another site, so I'm not certain.

Having to read on J! Archive is throwing me off.

• Hugs 5
(edited)

I got the Space Station, "Don Juan" (Full disclosure: I was a Brit Lit teacher), and "Guernica," but added up wrong because I didn't remember  there was a Roman numeral for 500. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 5

I somehow stumbled to 4/5 but mainly because I too had learned the 1666 answer a while ago somewhere else.  Missed Don Juan while kicking myself because I actually have read Shaw's Don Juan in Hell as well as seeing it performed decades ago (at Niagara on the Lake, I think). 

The historic Base Ball games at Greenfield Village are set in 1867 so I get several doses of timely facts - Alaska/Seward are frequently among them.  ISS was a total guess but it was all I could come up with. 

I have serious issues about Picasso the human being but for years, anytime I was in NYC, I stopped by MOMA to see Guernica.  The painting moved me deeply and I can still hear Father Grundoon's voice explaining the historical context. 

The Bellinis sound marvelous but can I offer up a  couple of pitchers of a hearty Sangria as an accompanying beverage choice?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is the last week of Jeopardy...so it's about time for me to work with all the data and come up with winners and such.

Please remember this is my first time. Not only are the next few weeks busy for me, but I haven't worked with Excel for two years (since retirement) so I'm a little rusty. That said, it will probably help keep me busy while I fast for a medical test. Blechhh.

I'm not at all confident I have all the scores, though I've gone through all 34 pages (along with the data Saber provided). There are some gaps, whether they're because some were on vacation or I missed something, I don't know. But I will double check. (and the Chris * have to be rechecked as well)

I will also likely put my own spin on results and prizes. But I don't know yet what that will be, and I will look back at previous seasons and see what Saber did.

Anyway, there will be results and there will be prizes. Please be patient.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Please remember this is my first time. Not only are the next few weeks busy for me, but I haven't worked with Excel for two years (since retirement) so I'm a little rusty. 

Love You Hearts GIF by Unpopular Cartoonist

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

This is the last week of Jeopardy...so it's about time for me to work with all the data and come up with winners and such.

Please remember this is my first time. Not only are the next few weeks busy for me, but I haven't worked with Excel for two years (since retirement) so I'm a little rusty. That said, it will probably help keep me busy while I fast for a medical test. Blechhh.

I'm not at all confident I have all the scores, though I've gone through all 34 pages (along with the data Saber provided). There are some gaps, whether they're because some were on vacation or I missed something, I don't know. But I will double check. (and the Chris * have to be rechecked as well)

I will also likely put my own spin on results and prizes. But I don't know yet what that will be, and I will look back at previous seasons and see what Saber did.

Anyway, there will be results and there will be prizes. Please be patient.

Maybe just play around with Excel and note some ideas for fun prizes while you do your prep. 

It might be a good idea to come up with a deadline here for folks to post their final results.

And maybe just start with announcing any missing data? 

These are just ideas. Feel free to reject any and all of them.

But do let us know if you need help. ❤️

• Like 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Wait! This thread really was a contest? I thought the title just meant that "Jeopardy!" is a contest! 🤭🤫

It's not very competetive. I know that when I "won", I got a GIF of a trophy. LOL

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

Thank you all for your warm and supportive posts. I'm not as stressed as I sounded, I had intended to be very "this is how it's going to go" instead of "please, please understand how it's going to go." 😅 But I very much appreciate your responses.

As for the medical test, thanks for the concern. It's actually routine at my age. Yucky preparation, but routine.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 4

And so my season ends...not with a bang but with a whimper. Week 46: 3/5   Overall:  108/230 (47%) 16* (the last of which was on April 28!).  2 0-correct weeks, 1 5-correct week. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 5

Week 46:  3/5 (T, W, Th)

For the season:  104/230, 45%.  🤷‍♀️

I feel a bit sad tonight about the end of the season. Normally, we'd be back for a new contest in September, but even if both strikes were to end this weekend, which certainly isn't happening, I doubt J! would be on schedule to return on its normal date. 😢

See you in small talk or in some of the other forums.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
48 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I feel a bit sad tonight about the end of the season. Normally, we'd be back for a new contest in September, but even if both strikes were to end this weekend, which certainly isn't happening, I doubt J! would be on schedule to return on its normal date. 😢

I feel a little bad for the champ. Finally someone made it past two games for the first time in several weeks (I forget what Ken said but it was sometime in June) and now he has to wait who-knows-how-long.

• Like 4
On 7/25/2023 at 7:46 PM, ProudMary said:

I don't participate in the FJ Contest for the results, it's more about the camaraderie of hanging out with like-minded Jeopardy! fans.

I thought it was all about the food!

Speaking of which… 

with no fear or loathing, I would like to share these dicey brownies in honor of Hunter S. Thompson and my vast knowledge of Gonzo journalism. 

IMG_0401.jpeg.72e7a4ce4637330eb702a3ad806a5c56.jpeg

PS: 1/5, if it wasn’t already obvious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, illdoc said:

And so my season ends...not with a bang but with a whimper. Week 46: 3/5   Overall:  108/230 (47%) 16* (the last of which was on April 28!).  2 0-correct weeks, 1 5-correct week. 

I on the other hand had a great week - 3/5!  Well above my weekly average for the season of 1.8/5 (thanks, Excel).

Overall 84/230,  7*, 4C* (remember those?)

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I thought it was all about the food!

I couldn't think of anything good enough for the last dinner party of the season last night but I just found these adorable Gonzo cake pops.

image.thumb.png.8a6ace4068eef8d19ec97101bcc3e289.png

• Fire 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Sorry I'm late getting this out - I was extremely lazy last night enjoying some Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream.

Week 46 – July 24 - 2023

192.     African Geography - The only country in Africa with Spanish as an official language, it lies mostly between 1 & 2 degrees north latitude (Equatorial Guinea)

193.     Compound Word Origins - This compound word meant an astronomical object of exceptional brightness in 1910; it was soon applied to actors & athletes (Superstar)

194.     Opera Source Material - Henri Murger, who was broke & lived in a freezing attic apartment in Paris, wrote the source material for this 1896 opera (La Boheme)

195.     Fighting Forces - Formed in 1831 to help with the conquest of Algeria, its ranks have included Germans, Turks & Chinese (French Foreign Legion)

196.     Word Origins - Theories on the origin of this, a style of journalism, include Cajun slang for unhinged jazz & Boston slang for a person on a bender (Gonzo)

After collecting all the data for this last week, I'll be posting to see if some of you can fill in my missing data.

So, now for Season 39:

• Thanks 3
  • Love 3

2/5. I’m a little disappointed that the only ones I got were also the ones all three contestants got. I like to think I’m better at the game than at least one of the players and I consider an asterisk as a badge of honor.

Come on, TPTB, and end this strike! I need my J! and, even more, my FJ Contest fellow travelers. You all bring such joy to my life and such virtual goodies to my stomach!

• Like 4
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Come on, TPTB, and end this strike! I need my J! and, even more, my FJ Contest fellow travelers. You all bring such joy to my life and such virtual goodies to my stomach!

Maybe we should run a contest for the mid-season reruns, however many that may be.  Just kidding, because then I’d be outed for not knowing FJ even though I saw it a few weeks earlier. 

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)

2/5 I’d just like to mention (I don’t have time today to catch up on the season thread as I’m in the midst of a family reunion) that I pre-guessed French Foreign Legion as soon as I saw the FJ category on Thursday. 
It was wonderful playing and sharing insights with all of you this season. See everyone when the new season begins. Stay safe and be well 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/29/2023 at 5:18 AM, SoMuchTV said:

Overall 84/230,  7*, 4C* (remember those?)

I'll be trying to wrap my head around those as soon as I get the other stats finished. At least J! lets me know when Chris' run was, so I can narrow my search. Saber did provide me with that, but I think some of it got lost while I was creating my own spreadsheets.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, Trey said:

2/5 I was hoping for better but I've had worse weeks.

Thanks @Clanstarling, for all the work you've done for us.

I do hope the contest will continue next season, whenever it starts.

You're very welcome. And thanks to @saber5055 who has been our contest runner for so long, and provided me with the data she'd collected.

As for next year, we'll talk about the contest before the season begins, given how up in the air everything is. But depending on how many of my feathers have survived the data analysis portion of the contest, I'll be onboard if you still want me.

I got 4 out of 5 this week, ending well on what has been mostly a mediocre run.

I'll bring various flavors of Ben and Jerry's - name your favorites!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'll be trying to wrap my head around those as soon as I get the other stats finished. At least J! lets me know when Chris' run was, so I can narrow my search. Saber did provide me with that, but I think some of it got lost while I was creating my own spreadsheets.

If it helps with the C*'s, I can give you screenshots of my spreadsheet for his run.  (Kindly ignore my lackluster results).

1 or 0 indicates a C* that I did or didn't get correct.  N/A indicates Chris got it correct. His run was interrupted in Oct/Nov by various tournaments.  I make no guarantees but I think this is accurate:

image.thumb.png.456c892519e3a3cc5ef55ff07fceeaed.png

image.thumb.png.884eeb260ea997c2cd136416dc0d7e3e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A rather poor showing for me in this final week: 2/5.

Since the two questions I got were La Boheme and French Foreign Legion, clearly there's a theme to my correct answers this week. A theme I will continue with my last food contribution of the year:

7016-french-toast-mfs-010-0e1007bf0b47433abe91f2f0c74e5a27.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 3
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

If it helps with the C*'s, I can give you screenshots of my spreadsheet for his run.  (Kindly ignore my lackluster results).

1 or 0 indicates a C* that I did or didn't get correct.  N/A indicates Chris got it correct. His run was interrupted in Oct/Nov by various tournaments.  I make no guarantees but I think this is accurate:

image.thumb.png.456c892519e3a3cc5ef55ff07fceeaed.png

image.thumb.png.884eeb260ea997c2cd136416dc0d7e3e.png

Thanks, this will indeed come in handy!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/29/2023 at 8:53 AM, Clanstarling said:

Sorry I'm late getting this out - I was extremely lazy last night enjoying some Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream.

Week 46 – July 24 - 2023

192.     African Geography - The only country in Africa with Spanish as an official language, it lies mostly between 1 & 2 degrees north latitude (Equatorial Guinea)

193.     Compound Word Origins - This compound word meant an astronomical object of exceptional brightness in 1910; it was soon applied to actors & athletes (Superstar)

194.     Opera Source Material - Henri Murger, who was broke & lived in a freezing attic apartment in Paris, wrote the source material for this 1896 opera (La Boheme)

195.     Fighting Forces - Formed in 1831 to help with the conquest of Algeria, its ranks have included Germans, Turks & Chinese (French Foreign Legion)

196.     Word Origins - Theories on the origin of this, a style of journalism, include Cajun slang for unhinged jazz & Boston slang for a person on a bender (Gonzo)

After collecting all the data for this last week, I'll be posting to see if some of you can fill in my missing data.

So, now for Season 39:

I just now noticed, the question count total is 196 here, but shouldn't it be 230, for 46 weeks? It was different beginning back with week 19, when the list showed 84 - 88, but the week total was 95. Am I missing something?