Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did Hannah have any challengers today? Happy for Hannah, but I felt sorry for Skylar and Victoria.

Mixed bag today - ran "Solve for EX" and got 4 correct in "Company Headquarters", "A Birthday to Remember" and "Game Show Hosts". Would have run "Game Show Hosts" but changed my response from. $100,000 to $50,000 for the Pyramid clue.  😧  But then had way too many not so good categories including "Triple Rhyme Time" which I liked, but only got 2 right.

Got 5 TSs today which sounds good but really isn't since there were 18 TSs/missed DDs in total. Ones I got were Richard Dawson, Allen Ludden, Henry Fielding, Barcelona (a total guess) and sheaves. Richard Dawson and Allen Ludden TSs made me sad.

FJ? I got nuthin'.

• Like 4

My TS: booze cruise news, Richard Dawson (Bob Barker?! Seriously?!),Allen Ludden, Henry Fielding, the sheaves, Desperado, Daniel Defoe. And I did get FJ

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

May 12:

50% / 43% / 47%

My worst game of a pretty bad week…Ran Game Show Hosts, missed two Birthdays, three in Capitals, Company Headquarters, and Army ANTs, and four in Triple Rhyme Time. In DJ I missed one in Picaresque and Solve for "Ex", three Film Trilogies, and four each in Animals, Hymns, and World Leaders.

FJ was an instaget, so there's that. I also got several TSes - Allen Ludden and Richard Dawson (thanks to The Game Show Show that was on the other night for my getting those two; I knew them anyway, but I'm not sure Ludden, at least, would have come to me in time), infantry, $100,000 Pyramid, Daniel Defoe, and Barcelona (total guess; I just threw out the first Spanish city that came to mind). (Do I get half a point for the hymn with the word that "I know it rhymes with eaves"?)

I want Skyler's dinosaur sweater.

Nothing against Hannah but I think I will be rooting for Ben next week.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I said shrunken heads.  In my defense I didn't think it was right.

I got the missed clues of Richard Dawson, Daniel Dafoe, Barcelona, and the sheaves.

I got the entire categories of HQ, birthdays and ex right.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Has there ever been such an OTT domination by a champion before? Probably, but I don't remember it. My TS's were just Warrant Officer, Ludden, and sheaves. Not a great game for me. I was relieved to hear that Ben will return on Monday (I'll probably miss it as our community's annual meeting is that evening). Hannah needs some competition.

• Like 3

Sadly, I did not get FJ tonight.  I completely blanked.

I did, however, get several TS, including infantry, Allen Ludden, Richard Dawson, Blade, Barcelona, down by the riverside, and sheaves.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Did Hannah have any challengers today? Happy for Hannah, but I felt sorry for Skylar and Victoria.

I was sitting here thinking that a bookstore owner would manage to score on some of those literature questions but apparently not. 

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Sadly, I did not get FJ tonight.  I completely blanked.

I started out thinking of piercings but changed to tattoos.

• Like 3

Got FJ.  My voyages of scientific discovery class from college finally paid off!  

I actually loved that class and captain Cook was a good portion of it. I remember reading the journals and about tattooing in Tahiti. 

Pretty boring game.  $0, $800 and 29000

• Like 3
2 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Did Hannah have any challengers today? 

A friend said that Monday Hannah’s competition will be a brick and a piece of string.

There were a lot of blank stares from all contestants today. 

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, SHD said:

A friend said that Monday Hannah’s competition will be a brick and a piece of string.

There were a lot of blank stares from all contestants today. 

Wait, won’t one of Monday’s challengers be the previous champ who had to be rescheduled?  I’m not sure who to root for. Maybe the newbie?

• Like 1

Seventeen TS!  Yikes.

I only ran triple rhyme time (fun category!) and capitals in the first round, but I got all but one each in the rest. 

I didn't run a damn thing in DJ, though.  I got all but one each in leaders, trilogies, and "ex", but missed two in animals, three in Picaresque, and almost blew hymns entirely (shocking, I know) -- "Amazing Grace" was the only one I knew.

My power went out just before FJ, so I had to wait until it came back on and everything booted back up to check the archive.  I didn't get it. 

I did get nine of the TS, though, so at least there's that.  Although I'm not sure how impressive that is in this dud of a game.

• Like 3

I got several of the TSs, including all of the Game Show ones, because that is my wheelhouse. I don’t know which was more surprising for me, that Allen Ludden was a TS or that he was already deemed obscure enough to be a bottom row clue. <sniff> I loved Allen Ludden. 

While Michael Strahan may host the $100,000 Pyramid, so did Dick Clark. In addition to the $10k (original) version noted in the clue, Dick Clark also hosted $25k, $50k, and $100 versions. (Mike Richards also hosted a version of the show, briefly. I noticed they didn’t put that into the clue!)

I have also seen 2 of the lesser known film trilogies, which I didn’t realize were so little known!

I did not get tattoo, although the husband did. I was too busy thinking of things that might happen on a ship. But the answer made perfect sense.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I got several of the TSs, including all of the Game Show ones, because that is my wheelhouse.

It is not mine, so I wasn't expecting much of myself in that category, and indeed I didn't regularly watch any of the shows (or ever, in some cases), but I got all of them except for Jane Lynch.  Hooray for cultural osmosis.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Puma amd Adidas were founded by brothers. They had a huge feud and split the company into two brands.  That's why they're in the same town.  

That seems to happen a lot! Grohe and Hansgrohe were also formed as a result of warring brothers going their separate ways. I learned that a few years back when I was shopping for faucets. (We went with Hans.)

Aldi and Trader Joe’s are also the product of a brotherly split. The lesson is, never go in business with your brother!

• Like 2
  • Useful 8
(edited)

I just looked it up and the reason the Aldi brand split into north and south versions was that it started when the brothers argued over whether or not to sell cigarettes.

ETA: These guys are German, too. So it's not "don't go into business with your brother" exactly; it's more like "don't go into business with your brother if y'all are German."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • LOL 10
(edited)

Was that even a game?

It must be kind of embarrassing to be the only one getting any answers.

That was a lot of ts's and I only got three: booze/cruise/news, Daniel Defoe, and sheaves (which, as a child, I always sang as bringing in the sheep).  Allen Ludden and Richard Dawson were both on the tip of my tongue but wouldn't come out.

FJ was pretty much an instaguess although I also considered piercings.

I will still be rooting for Hannah when Ben comes back.  Or maybe the newbie.

I too want Skyler's dinosaur sweater.

Edited by Trey
to correct co-champion's name
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Why did Hannah not bet big on the DD where she was 20K ahead? It seemed to me that she could've bet 10K without endangering her lead.

I have no way of knowing her thought process, but I can see how if she wasn’t comfortable with the category and didn’t need to bet big, she might not want to risk losing $10,000. It’s all kind of points/play money to viewers, but depending on the contestants' financial situations, $10,000 could be a significant amount to help them in life.

Edited by SHD
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I have no way of knowing her thought process, but I can see how if she wasn’t comfortable with the category and didn’t need to bet big, she might not want to risk losing $10,000. It’s all kind of points/play money to viewers, but depending on the contestants' financial situations, $10,000 could be a significant amount to help them in life.

And $30,000 would be even more. She ran the category. She was up by more than 20K if she had bet 10K and lost she would still be more than double Skyler's score. If anything I thought she might not have wanted to embarrass her fellow contestants even more.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I have also seen 2 of the lesser known film trilogies, which I didn’t realize were so little known!

When I saw the category, I pre-called both the Before and Three Colors trilogies, trying to thread the needle on their definition of "lesser-known".

• Like 5

I got all but Blade in the film trilogies category, but the Before films are the only ones I knew of as films (I've never seen any of them, but I've heard of them) -- the rest I answered from the hints in the clues.  Red, White, and Blue I got because those are the colors of the French flag, Barcelona was just a lucky guess in choosing a Spanish city, and Desperado I got because it was the Eagles hit that made the most sense as the title in a trilogy called El Mariachi.

• Like 3

Not horrible, but not particularly good game today. I don't really like Ben so I got a little distracted. Didn't run any categories and only got 4 right in two - "Putting the "MM" in Yummy" in the J round and "In the Neighborhood" in DJ.

Got 2 TSs - Wellington and Rizzoli & Isles. I got sheep before the reveal, but not until I said dog first. Remembered the cliche of there being more sheep in New Zealand than people.

FJ was as instaget-y as it gets - a good start to the week.

• Like 4

May 15:

50% / 47% / 49%

Jeez. After last week's terribleness I was hoping to do better this week. Ran Sounds Spooky, missed two in New Zealand Geography and "MM", three in Dog Breed Rhyme Time (got all the breeds except Jolly Collie but wasn't quite quick enough to get to the rhyme in time), and four each in Novels and Defending the Title (thanks to my dad's penchant for watching golf for my not totally tanking that last one). In DJ I missed two in Neighborhood and Opera, and three in everything else. Got all the DDs but my only TS was Rizzoli & Isles.

I got FJ instantly but I wasn't sure because it felt too obvious. So yay, me.

Did not expect that wager with Ben having such a big lead! Good for him! I like him and while I also like Hannah, she was already qualified for the TOC so I was rooting for Ben.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

FJ was so easy I thought it might be something else, but I went with lthe obvious.

I got the missed clues of tale of a 4th grade nothing, sheep, and Rizzoli, and Isles.

I'm very annoyed because I just spent an hour and a half,  not getting  return label for my cable box.  Seriously, why do they make it so ridiculously hard.  So, now I'm going to have to driver 40 miles 1 way to the nearest store. If they refuse to take it for whatever reason, I think I wil go postal.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5

Wow, what a game for Ben! Hannah has been an excellent champion, yet Ben steamrolled his competition. I liked him very much in his first go-around, so I was rooting for him. Now he gets his shot at the TOC.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The sheep TS surprised me, as did Ben's dominance -- checking the archive, I see his first three games were locks, but I didn't remember that about him (in fact, until I saw him, I had no recollection of who he was).  But he buzzed in on over half the clues (getting most of them correct) and the game wound up being a runaway from the point of the first DD, not even halfway through the first round.  Yikes.  I wanted Hannah to be the one of the two returning champs to emerge from this came victorious.  Oh, well -- good for him, and at least she's in the ToC (seems quite likely he'll wind up there, too).

I'm usually very good with sports clues, especially in the first round, but I missed three in Defending the Title.  If not for that, I'd have had a terrific first round; I missed one in novels and ran everything else (even dog breeds, which doesn't often happen; it being a rhyme time category definitely helped).

I also had a three-misses category in DJ, but that was opera and thus completely to be expected.  I only ran neighborhood, but I had a good round -- I missed two in scientists and one each in the rest.

FJ was an instaget. 

On a shallow note, I really liked Mayim's outfit, especially her dress (love the color!).  I like how many glasses she has, and how many different ways they style her hair -- tonight, the whole combination was on point.

• Like 3

Ben seemed very energetic! Hannah looked like she was blindsided by his vigor.  I like everyone lately, so I wasn't rooting for or against anyone. I'm just awed by how up and down everything has been lately.

• Like 8

Nothing against Hannah, but I was kind of expecting this result. She's an 8-day champion, and that's nothing to sneeze at, but Hannah's games have featured a surprisingly large number of missed clues and triple stumpers. She hasn't struck me as super-dominant in the way that most multi-day champs usually do.

Again, no shade intended, as she's certainly proven herself, but she seems to have areas of weakness that a lot of other long-time champs don't.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Was Ben extra quick on the button?  Were several topics more guy type questions?

I just couldn't believe how quick he was.  Hannah seemed stunned like me.

Hannah throughout her sessions always took her fellow players into consideration when she was way ahead by betting lower.  I liked that about her.

She won but didn't humiliate her competitors.

• Like 3

It’s great to be home and back to playing Jeopardy. I came up with the missed clues of Wellington, Special Branch and FJ was an instaget. 

Did anyone else notice that when Ben answered the Opera clue he added an extra vowel? I thought I heard Madama Butterfly and the answer should have been Madame Butterfly (with the last “e” not enunciated). 

• Like 3
(edited)

I had forgotten how well-rounded Ben was in his knowledge. 
I loved his story of being able to share the 60-year-old love letter with the elderly couple and what it meant to them at this time. 
Mayim teared up, in a good way. 
In general, philosphy professors are my favorite people.
Hannah expressed satisfaction with the outcome:

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did anyone else notice that when Ben answered the Opera clue he added an extra vowel? I thought I heard Madama Butterfly and the answer should have been Madame Butterfly (with the last “e” not enunciated). 

Wikipedia: Madama Butterfly is an opera in three acts by Giacomo Puccini, with an Italian libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4

I credit my years of watching every British crime drama under the sun with me getting Special Branch lol.  

The FJ question was too easy for a $200 clue, let alone a final.

Welcome back, Ben!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
36 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Wikipedia: Madama Butterfly is an opera in three acts by Giacomo Puccini, with an Italian libretto by Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa.

Yes, the original story, as well as most plays and movies based on it, is "Madame Butterfly." But the opera is "Madama Butterfly."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I had forgotten how well-rounded Ben was in his knowledge. 
I loved his story of being able to share the 60-year-old love letter with the elderly couple and what it meant to them at this time.

I had too. I like Hanna, and I like Ben, but he sure dominated. This story was so sweet, I didn't tear up, but I might have if I hadn't been "awww...." about it.

I'd forgotten Ben was out there waiting to come back. I am happy to see him back.

It was an okay game for me. Didn't run anything but did pretty well in most of the categories. BTW, if you can find 1st Ladies Detective Agency, I recommend it. I think it was filmed in Botswana, and the actress was very good. Also, Idris Elba was in a few episodes. ;)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

BTW, if you can find 1st Ladies Detective Agency, I recommend it.

I enjoyed the books and the TV series but I had forgotten the cast and was trying to think of Anika Noni Rose instead of Jill Scott anyway.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I enjoyed the books and the TV series but I had forgotten the cast and was trying to think of Anika Noni Rose instead of Jill Scott anyway.

I didn't remember Jill Scott's name either.

• Like 1