Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Tom Swift was an interesting place to go for a category. Kids books from the early 20th century is not knowledge that most people have at their fingertips. Fortunately you could reason out the clues fairly easily without really knowing all that much about the actual books, thanks to hints in the wording.

When I was in high school, Tom Swifties (not the Taylor Swift fans) were all the rage. These were things Tom supposedly said with a pun in the adverb describing how he said it. Examples: "I'm going to the Arctic, " Tom said icily. "Here's the mausoleum, " Tom said cryptically. I thought that this was what the category would be about, she said cluelessly.

• Like 2
  • LOL 18
  • Love 3

That was not a good game for the contestants.  10 stumpers and all 3 DDs missed.  Oy.

Of course, it wasn't a very good game for me either.  I did get FJ and 7 of the 13 clues the contestants missed: magnet, coins, Scotia, Shelley, Burundi, carillon and Trinity.  Should've gotten Los Alamos as well but couldn't drag it out of my brain.  Only ran Royalty, 6-Letter Words and Poet.  Got all but 1 clue in Tom Swift, TV Show, Double Talk and "B" There.

I knew Oregon's flag, damn it, but somehow Wisconsin came out of my mouth.  Dog knows why.

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was a bit surprised none of them picked up on the hog hint in the motorcycle TS.  Or maybe they didn't know hog is slang for a motorcycle, but Daniel and Jerry at least seemed to have an Oh, duh type reaction when Ken gave the correct response. 

I've motorcycles referred to as hogs, but it's not a natural reference for me so I completely missed it.  Had the same sort of "duh" reaction.

14 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have never heard Boudicca pronounced booDICKa, only BOOdicka. 

I've heard it BOOdicka and BowdiSEEa, but never the way Ken pronounced it.  At least he was close?

That Fish People category really screwed me over.  I knew Pike and NYSE but that's it.  I'm not unfamiliar with Man Ray but still didn't get that one.  I think that clue might've been chosen to early for me to understand the category.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

When I was in high school, Tom Swifties (not the Taylor Swift fans) were all the rage. These were things Tom supposedly said with a pun in the adverb describing how he said it. Examples: "I'm going to the Arctic, " Tom said icily. "Here's the mausoleum, " Tom said cryptically. I thought that this was what the category would be about, she said cluelessly.

I've actually read quite a few of the original Tom Swift books, back when I was contemplating writing a book about early children's literature (a project that never came to fruition). They are chock full of all kinds of things--all the racism and sexism you would expect of the time, dated ethnic humor (dated humor in general, really), overly earnest heroes and cartoonishly evil villains. Much like Q and James Bond, whatever bizarre invention Tom has just come up with turns out to be exactly what he needs to get out of his latest scrape at any given moment.

What you will not find, interestingly enough, are Tom Swifties. The adverb making a pun was just not a thing in those books.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
(edited)

It is my understanding that the author never used the unadorned verb "said". Characters always "said loudly" or "said excitedly" or "said politely." Or they "exclaimed" or "shouted" or "whispered." The puns came later as part of the play on words created for the Tom Swifties, she said gamely.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 10

The less said about today the better. Only had 2 decent categories - "College Tuition Then and Now" in the J round and "American History" in DJ. Only 1 TS - Marcel.

Had no clue for FJ which is especially disheartening since all 3 contestants got it. Sigh!

Just figured out who I think Daniel looks like - Jeopardy's own Colby Burnett. Just me?

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
5 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

Just figured out who I think Daniel looks like - Jeopardy's own Colby Burnett. Just me?

I hadn't thought of Colby but, now that you mention it, I do see it.  I knew he reminded me of someone.

Only two ts's: spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs, and Fyodor.

Not quite an instaget FJ.  I first thought "some satellite" with little hope of coming up with the name of one when ISS popped into my head. I think just ISS would have been acceptable.

• Like 4
On 7/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, ProudMary said:

Ittai reminded me of comedian Jackie Mason. (I think you have to qualify for Medicare to get that reference. 😄)

Working on the crossword puzzle in the latest issue of TV Guide and the clue for 16 Down is...Comedian Jackie ______. 😛

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

July 18:

80% / 67% / 73%

Good first round...Ran Stars on the Nation's Flag (surprising) and Shark! (not as surprising), missed one each in An Abbreviated Category, College Tuition, and Prefixes & Suffixes, and three in Songs of Max Martin.

Mediocre second round...Ran American History, missed one in Authors' First Major Works and 3-Word Responses, two in African Films, and three in First Names and 4 Letters Ends in Y.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes were spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs, Challenger, Ayn Rand (DD).

David reminds me of someone but I can't think of who.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)

I was rooting for Chelsea, as she reminds me quite a bit of a family friend, and got a kick out of her "In a shocking twist, I don't know this one, either" about the last DD.

I only knew two of the songs from the musical I've never even heard of, but otherwise did well in the first round; I ran flags and got all but one each in the rest.

In DJ, I ran history and got all but one in responses, but missed three each in ends in Y and African films and two each in names and authors.

FJ wasn't something I instantly knew, but I figured it out in just a few seconds -- at that speed, it had to be in space, so take the year and size and voila, the ISS.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
22 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have never heard Boudicca pronounced booDICKa, only BOOdicka. 

I’m not going to pretend I’m well-versed on this, but I got my pronunciation from this Horrible Histories song.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

July 18:

80% / 67% / 73%

Good first round...Ran Stars on the Nation's Flag (surprising) and Shark! (not as surprising), missed one each in An Abbreviated Category, College Tuition, and Prefixes & Suffixes, and three in Songs of Max Martin.

Mediocre second round...Ran American History, missed one in Authors' First Major Works and 3-Word Responses, two in African Films, and three in First Names and 4 Letters Ends in Y.

FJ was an instaget.

TSes were spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs, Challenger, Ayn Rand (DD).

91QNq740g5L._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.d0042455b9c32d905e231278a5fb574c.jpg

(edited)
38 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’m not going to pretend I’m well-versed on this, but I got my pronunciation from this Horrible Histories song.

Most of the discussion I find online about the pronunciation of Boudic[c]a is simply about the difference between Boadicea and Boudica and doesn't address BOOdicka vs booDICKa. However there seem to be a lot of references that claim booDICKa is the "American" pronunciation. It is frustrating to me not to be able to discover when and why Americans decided to pronounce it differently, but <heavy sigh> I suppose I cannot fault Ken and Jeopardy for going by these references and choosing booDICKa. (Some people argue that Boudica was not her name but just a title or epithet because it apparently means Victory but there are so many abstract nouns we use as names in English without noticing I think it's a toss up.)   

39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only knew two of the songs from the musical I've never even heard of, but otherwise did well in the first round; I ran flags and got all but one each in the rest.

I've *seen* the musical and I only got two of the songs. (Nothing in those clips would have made me want to go see it; I went for the jokes and the metatheatrical angle but the music was a bit too loud and same-y for my taste.)

I knew Fyodor cold and guessed Ayn Rand. Also knew Marcel.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
I know how to spell Jeopardy.
  • Like 4

Catching up from last night via the archive...

Instaget FJ, surprisingly enough, but I only got the TS of spades/hearts/diamonds/clubs, and Challenger.  I said Omoo instead of Typee -- I've never read either one, and only know of them from crossword puzzles.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I've never even heard of the "& Juliet" musical, but what's with musical theater performers using handheld microphones? Intolerable!

I don't remember from the actual stage show, but looking at the clips from the clues there are only handheld microphones in two out of the five so it's a stylistic choice of some kind in those numbers for some reason, not a complete disregard for Broadway norms. 

I had a pretty lousy game last night.  Only ran Prefixes & Suffixes.  Got all but 1 in College Tuition, Stars On Nation's Flags, Shark!, 3-Word Responses and 4 Letters.  Should've run Shark! but I never remember the mako shark for some reason.  The only stumpers/missed DDs I got were spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs and Ayn Rand.  To be fair to the contestants, there were only 5 stumpers total, although Chelsea did manage to miss both DDs in DJ.

Got FJ.  It wasn't quite a instaget but it didn't take me long to come up with the ISS since I figured something moving that fast had to be in orbit.

When the category was revealed, I said to the cats "Who the hell is Max Martin?".  I guess the clues sort of answered that, although I did terribly, getting only Baby One More Time and Katy Perry.  Man, that musical sounds bad.

Glad David won.  Daniel was starting to seem smug, imo.

17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Eureka!  Maybe that's why I was beginning to dislike him.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm ashamed ot say I said ISS, but changed by answer to MIR.

I hate when I have the correct answer and second guess myself like that.  (Mir fell out of orbit in 2001, btw.)

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of spade/heart..., Challenger, typee, and Ayn Rand.

I said Typhoo instead of Typee.  That's a brand of tea, isn't it?

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"We the Living" was the Ayn Rand book we were forced to read in high school. I hated it.

I was lucky.  I was never forced to read any of her books.

• Like 2
On 7/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, chicagofan said:

And I owe the fact that I knew that Oregon's flag has different designs on each side to the premiere episode of Sheldon Cooper's "Fun With Flags" on the Big Bang Theory. Of course it didn't hurt that it's a beaver on one side.

Me too, and I live there. LOL. Just never noticed - but then the flag has to be waving to see the other side.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ wasn't something I instantly knew, but I figured it out in just a few seconds -- at that speed, it had to be in space, so take the year and size and voila, the ISS.

That's the same reasoning I used. Mir crossed my mind for a second, but then I got it right.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Typhoo instead of Typee.

I said Omoo (crosswords) since I thought Typee was the sequel to Omoo (it's the other way around).

• Like 5

Once again not one of my better games. Got 4 in "Julie and Julia" and "Add an E at the End" in the J round and in DJ got 4 in "Geology" and "Get Your Kicks on Route 66".  TSs were tiara in the J round and salt and lead in DJ.

But unlike yesterday I got FJ today - and it was pretty much an instaget. So 2 for 3 so far this week.

• Like 3

This was a good game to watch but not a good game for me. My only ts was salt.

I figured it was Picasso who did the painting but my mind went to some of his paintings of females, not to Guernica.  I suppose the date of 1937 and "German guidebook" should have tipped me off but it didn't.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
(edited)

July 19:

70% / 60% / 66%

Okay first round, not great second. Ran nothing, missed one in Painter Selfies, Fashion, Julie & Julia, and Add an E at the End, two in Same 2 Letters, Different Place, and three in 5 About 4. In DJ I missed one in Musical Menagerie and History, two in Titles with Punctuation, Geology, and The "LL" You Say, and four in Route 66.

FJ was a near-instaget.

TSes were Painters' Guild, Norman Rockwell (DD), tiara, salt, coyotes, and Tycho Brahe.

If Sean is 6'5", I wonder how high the other players' platforms were, since he didn't look all that much taller than them. I have a friend who is 6', and her husband is 6'3". I'm wondering how tall their kids are going to end up (they're only 10 and 14 now).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5

I really didn't have any idea for FJ, so I guessed Guernica because Jeopardy! loves that painting.  Much like I guessed Steinbeck the other day.  I was surprised to be correct!  Good for me!

I also got the TS of Norman Rockwell, hornbill, salt, and lead.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

David's a good champion, but the head tilt and hand wave on every single response is driving me crazy! 

This! I was going to say the same thing. Really liked the sleeves on Liz's blouse. I would have enjoyed it more if the flowers went all the way up.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

David's a good champion, but the head tilt and hand wave on every single response is driving me crazy! 

Stop it. !!  Stop it! 

I literally can't even watch him. I Have to look away or close my eyes when he answers or picks it drives me so crazy. 

And I do mean ' literally'. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I really didn't have any idea for FJ, so I guessed Guernica because Jeopardy! loves that painting.

I didn't pick up on the idea of German animosity, but the year and the criticism pointed me to Picasso and the World's Fair rang a faint bell that gave me Guernica.

I have never seen any of the Before movies but I knew Julie Delpy. I also got Oxford. And although trench coat came into my head I wasn't quite confident enough to really commit to the guess.

• Like 3

I missed three in painters (art is a weak subject for me) and two in 4, but otherwise did well in the first round; I ran places, fashion, and add an E, and got all but one in Julie & Julia (I guessed crown instead of tiara).

I kicked ass in DJ; I ran titles (thanks to the wrong answer putting west into my mind; I didn't have it until then), geology, and music, and got all but one each in "LL" and Route 66.  My "worst" category history was history, and I only missed two.

The category had me nervous for FJ (see above about me and art knowledge), but thankfully it was about a painting I'm familiar with the story of.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2023 at 6:29 PM, ams1001 said:

Toby Huss?

IMG_0386.jpeg.2eafcbd36225ee8b79d54f0fd937c29a.jpeg IMG_0387.webp.f0ab4589c6aab7d758b34d15c29c2a14.webp

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Mr. Helens, today: “I can’t stand David. Every time he gets a question right, it’s (head tilt/jazz hand).”

Prior to this I had been listening, not watching, but it didn’t take more than a minute for me to see what he meant. And yeah, kind of annoying.

And it seems we’re not the only ones to notice.

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/8641179/jeopardy-david-bederman-annoying-habit-winner-guernica-tonight/

Near-instaget for Guernica. Good thing, because it was getting a bit dicey for me this week. (Monday I had no clue, Tuesday I should have had a clue but was distracted… yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.)

But at least I knew Julie Delpy, Tycho Brahe, art installation and Cadillac Ranch! Also RME at Sia. Apparently David has never seen the wig.

• Like 5

David's biggest crime to me is he's not Daniel. 

Daniel was smart, snazzy dresser and cute as all get out. He's normally not my type but he was easy on the eyes. Hope they bring him back in some fashion.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm not going to click on it to see specific verbiage as I won't give tabloids hits, but The Sun "notices" seemingly everything - including things that don't actually exist in the first place - and reports it as a widespread phenomenon.  J! is one of the things they like to routinely make overblown stories about.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not going to click on it to see specific verbiage as I won't give tabloids hits, but The Sun "notices" seemingly everything - including things that don't actually exist in the first place - and reports it as a widespread phenomenon.  J! is one of the things they like to routinely make overblown stories about.

Agreed… and I’m certainly not offering this story as an example of journalistic excellence. It was just to note that this tic of David’s has been noticed beyond this forum. He has annoying habits, the Sun sucks… there are many things to agree upon here.

• Like 2

I must be in some kind of clue bliss because I’m usually concentrating so hard on them I miss a lot of the contestants quirks. Gratefully. 

Last night I came up with Oxford, salt, Cadillac Ranch and after a short debate (the German threw me off and I was mentally going through Klimt paintings) came up with the correct FJ. 

• Like 3

So, Guernica, Faulkner, the African continent (& women authors😉)...anything else I need to study for future games? I knew Guernica, but I always fail when it comes to Faulkner and countries in Africa. I like David but wish he could stop the nervous tics. He looks like some character actor who usually plays a bad guy on TV and/or the movies.

• Like 7
14 hours ago, Trey said:

I figured it was Picasso who did the painting but my mind went to some of his paintings of females, not to Guernica.  I suppose the date of 1937 and "German guidebook" should have tipped me off but it didn't.

Same here. I said "Nude Descending Staircase" - but turns out thats Duchamp, not Picasso. I don't know why I didn't get Guernica, it's the only Picasso painting I actually like.

image.thumb.png.957988176a7a424a3dbeb81fb7d75e35.png

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I must be in some kind of clue bliss because I’m usually concentrating so hard on them I miss a lot of the contestants quirks. Gratefully.

I do see the quirks sometimes, but I never noticed anything annoying about David. But then, I sometimes find certain quirks delightful while the forum and others hate them.

Poor game for me. The mister and I knew it was Rockwell, were visualizing his paintings, but just couldn't drag his name from our brains. That happens more often these days. Ticks me off (on my behalf, I don't mind when he can't and I get it, of course).

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I rarely notice quirks (unless they're verbal), mostly because I'm looking back and forth between the screen and my scorecard. If people start complaining about something I might pay attention next time. If I remember.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Toby Huss?

Since I had to google him, no.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

He looks like some character actor who usually plays a bad guy on TV and/or the movies.

He does! 😄

Actually, the more I think about it, he kinda reminds me of my cousin but it's mostly just the bald head.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1

Another okay, not great game for me.  FJ was an instaget based on the year and the description of random body parts; not actually inaccurate, but that was part of Picasso's intent, I believe.

I ran Painter Selfies, Musical Menageries and History.  Got all but 1 clue in Fashion,, Julie & Julia, Add An E and Titles.  I got 5 of the 12 triple stumpers (painter's guild, Julie Delpy, salt, coyotes and Tycho Brahe) and the missed DD of Norman Rockwell.  I should've gotten Oxford because I've read a lot about Roger Bannister and it was mentioned in the Bill Bryson book through which I'm still slogging, but I said Cambridge instead.

Danish astronomer always equals Tycho Brahe on Jeopardy.  There were others, but he's the only one who gets a mention here.

I said Car Henge instead of Cadillac Ranch.  And now I have the Bruce Springsteen song in my head.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Rockwell, trench coat, hornbill and salt.

I should've gotten trench coat, which seemed really obvious in retrospect.  And it looked like a hornbill but I said spoonbill because of an article I'd seen (but didn't read) about them recently.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister and I knew it was Rockwell, were visualizing his paintings, but just couldn't drag his name from our brains.

I started to say Warhol, but the actual Rockwell painting leaped into my head in time to stop me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Self-Portrait#/media/File:Triple_Self-Portrait.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Yup--I could never be on Jeopardy cause I'd be saying, "Wait...wait...I can see his face, just can't pull up his name" 🥴. Actually, something like this seems to happen frequently to contestants (the ones who hit their buzzers, get ready to respond and then, poof! the response disappears from their brains). That has to be so frustrating. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

July 20:

67% / 46% / 56%

Subpar first round…missed one in Coffee, Crossword Clues W, and John Lennon, two in By the Book How To and Baggage, and three in Snakes & Spiders.

Terrible second round…Missed one in Senators, two in Before & After, Deep Dive, and Danube, three in Vacation from Pop Culture, and totally failed B.C.-ing You.

Did not get FJ, only got one DD, and the missed clues of whatchamacallit, Fair Trade (DD), Cheryl Strayed, and Treasure Island.

7 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Why does J! insist on pronouncing Don Juan as Don Jew-an?  Did Byron write out the phonetic pronunciation?

https://maisonneuve.org/post/2013/09/16/don-juan-mispronounced/

• Like 2
  • Useful 2