Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What kind of car is this? Isn't that Jay Leno? Is that a toy car? I saw very small cars in Italy but never one this small.

That is Jay Leno, but not a toy car - it's a Honda 600. Jay's 5'11.

3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

You went to high school with Jay Leno?

LOL. Jay's actually shorter than the friend who owned the car. He was a big guy. I chose this picture to give some perspective on how small it was. The jocks at school were forever carrying the car and putting it someplace else on campus.

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

With time, FJ would have been easy but there was no way I was going to get that within 30 seconds. I forgot the 500 so ended up with 1166. I knew I was missing one but couldn’t come up with it fast enough without having the time to write them all down and see what was missing.

• Like 6

My family came to call the back-facing, third seat in our station wagon the "Don't Forget Me" seat because of the time my youngest brother was accidentally left behind at a gas station. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HissyFit said:

My family came to call the back-facing, third seat in our station wagon the "Don't Forget Me" seat because of the time my youngest brother was accidentally left behind at a gas station. 

IMG_0395.jpeg.8c7e1ff94a35000f62e0142ca2f5b796.jpeg

• LOL 10
On 7/21/2023 at 11:06 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I liked it but I caught myself wasting time trying to remember which was L and which was D even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference to the arithmetic. I wrote out the letters,  confirmed I had 7 and that except for the 1,000 the other columns were each 5+1 = 6.

I can manage to keep L and D straight by thinking of Super Bowl numbers - there have been several with "L" in the number but no D's.  But agreed, it didn't matter here.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I can manage to keep L and D straight by thinking of Super Bowl numbers - there have been several with "L" in the number but no D's.  But agreed, it didn't matter here.

But someday it might! Thanks for the tip. (Super Bow*L* hasn't hit 500 yet. Got it.)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yes the superbowls help with the first four. X L I V

C = c note

M = millennial. And on the back of money MMs.....for centuries

D is .....the other one. 

But yeah didn't even have to know the letters or which is which 

1000 100 500 50 10 5 1

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Well, I had a great first round, only got 4 wrong, ran 3 categories (Shakespeare, Hollow and Romaines) and got all but 1 in Israel and Track & Field.  I knew Allyson but couldn't come up with Felix in time.

The DJ round killed me, though.  Only ran Hollywood Scribes, plus got all but 1 clue in Internally (damn you, ileum) and Ends in "X" where I couldn't drag deep six out of my brain despite there being a bot on Battlebots with that name.

I was doomed to not get FJ by my complete incompetence with Roman numerals.  I came up with 1166 but knew I was missing a number.  Completely did not know that 500 was D.

Still, I did better than the contestants since I managed to get 13 of the 19 triple stumpers: Israel Supreme Court (have heard a lot about that in the news lately), Polonius, Greece, heart, Paavo Nurmi, loan/lone, dense/dents, Matterhorn, Broca's area, Hitchcock, Kim Philby, Nutmeggers and phlox.  I didn't get either of the missed DDs, though I should have known ileum.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:28 PM, 30 Helens said:

I’m guessing that was not just Byron, it was maybe just the common anglicized pronunciation of the name at the time.

Probably.  It has to be pronounced that way to make Byron's rhyming scheme work, though.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:17 PM, Trey said:

New champ is easy on the eyes.

True dat.

On 7/21/2023 at 10:49 PM, Bastet said:

And it was an excellent DJ!  I ran explorers

I should've run that category but managed to miss both Bering and Byrd.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:55 PM, chicagofan said:

Then there was the time in the '70's that we fit 8 teenagers (6 in the back seat and 2 in front)

In 1983, friends and I fit 6 teenagers in a king-cab truck to go to the movies.  Prior to that, in the late 70s, my mother used to drive around my brother and at least 5 other members of the high school marching band and their instruments (one of which was a tuba) in a 2-door Maverick we called the Cinnamon Tic Tac.  Then there was the bowling team, their bowling balls, 3 toddlers and a giant box of Avon orders in a VW Bug - I was one of the toddlers since my mother was on the team.  Yep, rolling death traps, all of them.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, DaveA said:

Does anyone know why when some contestants are introduced they say "originally from.." and for other contestants just say "from..."?  

They use whatever the contestant puts on their info card.  Some people choose where they currently live, some where they grew up (hence "originally from").  The champ on my game was originally from Pittsburgh although he lived in Florida at the time.  I wish I had used my hometown growing up rather than where I currently lived when I was a contestant but didn't realize I could do that until too late.

We also got to say which of our stories we wanted Alex to pick, but ultimately it was his choice.

On 7/22/2023 at 8:59 AM, ams1001 said:

That's what I did, but I started from 1. 1+5+10+50=66 (that's has high as you can go with Chisanbop on this math problem), then +100=166, +500=666, +1000=1666 (then I counted the numbers to double check I had all seven).

I did 1+5+10+50+100+1000 but knew that wasn't correct because it was only 6 letters.

• Like 3

Another tale of two Jeopardys - extra primo good J round, but a DJ round best forgotten.

Got all but 3 clues in the J round. Ran "States' Highest Points", "Welcome to Our Fruit Stand" and "Uniform Numbers" and got 4 in "Space Men and Women", "Alphabetically First" and "The "End" Zone". Got all 4 TSs - Arizona, New Mexico, eighth and the Yankees (read the clue folks - they wanted the team).

Not much to say about DJ - no good categories. Did get 3 TSs - Handel (oratorio usually equals Handel), Grand Canyon Suite (watched the sunrise there while someone played that music - wonderful!) and Mitt Romney. Should have gotten Scotland from Bairnsangs in the clue but mistakenly said Ireland instead. 😥

No FJ today. I thought maybe Angola, but then thought "no, that's Portuguese". Plus I didn't think it was that close to the equator. After hearing the correct response I thought "that makes sense", but I could have thought about it for eons and not come up with it.

Didn't particularly like any of today's contestants including the champ. Although I do think what he wants to do with his winnings is worthwhile. 

• Like 3

Totally a crap game for me.  I kept coming up with wrong answers or no answer at all.  My only ts was Scotland.

I couldn't even come up with a guess for FJ.  I too rejected Angola because I know it's Portuguese not Spanish and nothing else came to mind.  I really do need to study African countries.

I liked all the contestants but find current champ a little slow talking.

• Like 3

July 24:

70% / 70% / 69%

Decent game today. Ran Space Men & Women (also ran the whole $800 row), missed one in States' Highest Points and Fruit Stand, two in Uniform Numbers and "End" Zone, and three in Alphabetically First. In DJ I missed one each in Musical Works, Starts with 3 Consonants, International Books, and Hostel, two in Makeovers ("her glasses were removed" cracked me up...but she also cut her hair! 😛), and three in Would-Be VP.

Did not get FJ. Not surprising.

TSes were Yankees (a guess, but I figured a reasonable one; also the first baseball team that comes to mind, living in the NY metro area and being not-a-Mets-fan), New Mexico, Scotland, Handel, Pictures at an Exhibition, Paganini (DD), Mitt Romney, Dostoyevsky, and Czechoslovakia (Milan Kundera just died a couple weeks ago, too).

There were 16 missed clues - 4 TS in J! and 10 TS in DJ, plus both DDs, including the entire Musical Works category and all but one in Would-Be VP (both the missed DDs were in those categories, as well).

Happy birthday to Ian, but I was rooting for Taylor. I think he's cute, and I laughed when he bet $100 on both of his DDs (mostly at the way he said it).

Is this the last week of the regular season?

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Is this the last week of the regular season?

Yes. We were told awhile back that the last game would be on July 28th, and Ken confirmed that this would be the last week of this season in today's opening.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Sad 9

For FJ I said The Gambia but I didn't think Spanish was an official language there - the part of the clue about mainly being located between 1-2 degrees led me to a country that is "short" in the North-South sense, and The Gambia fit the bill there. It is, however, a bit too far North.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Gee...TS's New Mexico, Yankees and Handel (was that a TS?). And 2 DD's: Paganini & Nixon. No clue re: FJ. I was rooting for Simona as she never said the dreaded word 😖

50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

There were 16 missed clues - 4 TS in J! and 10 TS in DJ, plus both DDs, including the entire Musical Works category and all but one in Would-Be VP (both the missed DDs were in those categories, as well).

Yes, Handel was a TS. As ams1001 noted above, the contestants missed all the clues in the "Musical Works" category including the $800 clue of Handel and the $1,600 DD of Paganini.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chicagofan said:

Yes. We were told awhile back tbat the last game would be on July 28th, and Ken confirmed that this would be the last week of this season in today's opening.

Thanks. I missed the opening.

• Like 1

Meh game. No FJ. Maybe the last week for quite some time, as I’ve read the producers are having second thoughts about that whole recycled-question thing. (They’ve heard the fan rumblings. I also wonder if Ken might be reluctant to host, since many fans have voiced their disapproval about that, too. Repeats may be the only good option, even though the show is cleared for more.)

I agree with whoever said it would be a good idea to rerun Ken’s winning streak.  It would fill a whole lot of time, but they could still skip forward as needed, depending on how things are looking strike-wise. I saw the whole thing when it first aired, but I’d watch it again.

• Like 12

The Yankees TS was a mess; as noted, neither one of the contestants who rang in paid attention to the clue, since they didn't even guess a team, they guessed a player and a number instead.  I'm surprised no one guessed Dostoevsky for a Russian author in a $400 clue.

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed one (the Bible book, of course) in alphabetically first and two in highest points (I correctly guessed the New Mexico TS, but the other two TS in that one stumped me, too -- Arizona I just didn't know, and I couldn't get the Hawaiian name quite right, either).

In DJ, I was as terrible as the contestants with musical works, blowing that category entirely just as they did.  But I was better than them in VP's, only missing two.  I ran consonants and got all but one in books and hostel, but missed three in makeovers, so it was a mixed bag for me.

FJ was an instaguess (the latitude made me think of the country with the equator in its name) I figured was correct.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Meh game. No FJ. Maybe the last week for quite some time, as I’ve read the producers are having second thoughts about that whole recycled-question thing. (They’ve heard the fan rumblings. I also wonder if Ken might be reluctant to host, since many fans have voiced their disapproval about that, too. Repeats may be the only good option, even though the show is cleared for more.)

I agree with whoever said it would be a good idea to rerun Ken’s winning streak.  It would fill a whole lot of time, but they could still skip forward as needed, depending on how things are looking strike-wise. I saw the whole thing when it first aired, but I’d watch it again.

I was saddened when Ken pointed out that this was the last week of the season, especially in view of the uncertainties you've pointed out, But if they have to fill time with reruns, I'd much rather see some from the early Alex Trebek days in the 80's and 90's, where we don't know the outcome. Heck, I'd watch reruns from Art Fleming's time. Too bad the old daytime shows from the 60's were never preserved.

• Like 11

Another viewer here who is sad this is our last week of the season. 

I came up with New Mexico, Yankees, Arizona, Pictures at an Exhibition, Scotland and guessed Sierra Leone for FJ which was wrong. Like many of you I need to brush up on my African geography before next season. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I agree with whoever said it would be a good idea to rerun Ken’s winning streak.  

I think that would be fun. Maybe not for that one guy on facebook who posts "I hate Ken" on every other Jeopardy post, but it would be all the more fun for me if he had to suffer. 😛 Early Alex seasons would be good, too.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

but I missed one (the Bible book, of course)

I got that one only because I happen to know that Deuteronomy is the last of the Pentateuch (which I also know is the first five books of the bible), so I figured that would be the "farewell" letter (didn't even try to work out the alphabetically first part).

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I almost ran the entire first round, but I missed one (the Bible book, of course) in alphabetically first and two in highest points (I correctly guessed the New Mexico TS, but the other two TS in that one stumped me, too -- Arizona I just didn't know, and I couldn't get the Hawaiian name quite right, either).

11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought the woman got that one right?

Taylor's response was Mauna Lea - Ian's was Mauna Loa - both incorrect. Then Simona gave the correct response of Mauna Kea.

• Like 6

So-so game for me. Didn't get FJ although it made sense after I saw the answer.  I said Western Sahara because I knew it had been a Spanish colony, but apparently it was annexed by Morocco in 1975 and thus isn't technically a country; also, the latitude is all wrong for it.

The first round was not good for me.  Uniform numbers was almost a complete bust.  I was going to say the Yankees for the one clue but got confused by someone's mention of Cal Ripken.  Ran Space Men & Women and Fruit Stand and got all but 1 in State's Highest Points and "End" Zone.

DJ improved, although there was that terrible VP category where I only got John McCain and Mitt Romney.  I did, however, run Hostel, Musical Works and Makeovers and get all but 1 clue in 3 Consonants and International Books.  (Confession: I got Czechoslovakia after Simona said the Czech Republic.)

I didn't get the Nixon DD obviously, but did get Paganini, and also got 9 of the 14 triple stumpers: Arizona, New Mexico, Scotland, Handel, Grand Canyon Suite, Pictures At An Exhibition, thresher, and the aforementioned Mitt Romney and Czechoslovakia.

Side note: the first time I remember seeing Kurt Browning skate, at the 1988 Calgary Olympics, it was to selections from the Grand Canyon Suite.  Which, for some reason, my father was fond of even though he didn't really like classical music.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Happy birthday to Ian, but I was rooting for Taylor. I think he's cute, and I laughed when he bet $100 on both of his DDs (mostly at the way he said it).

Those bets amused me as well.  I would've been "Can I just bet nothing, Ken?" for the DD in VP.

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got that one only because I happen to know that Deuteronomy is the last of the Pentateuch

I got that one because I know very few books of the Bible but that is one of them and it starts with an early letter in the alphabet.  Lucky guess, really.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

(Confession: I got Czechoslovakia after Simona said the Czech Republic.)

I did, too. I remembered reading about Kundera's death and was confused for a second because it mentioned him being Czech (though I didn't think of it before she responded), then the phrase "at the time" in the clue clicked and I realized the book would have been published when it was still Czechoslovakia.

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Those bets amused me as well.  I would've been "Can I just bet nothing, Ken?" for the DD in VP.

Heh, me too...well, you can't, but the minimum is only 5 bucks...

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I was rooting for Taylor as soon as I saw he's originally from Chesapeake Beach. That's about two miles from the marina where we keep our boat. Back in the day when we would spend nights on our boat I'd go to Chesapeake Beach because it has a grocery store with a liquor store attached. Perfect for stocking up. They have some good restaurants too.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Back in the day when we would spend nights on our boat I'd go to Chesapeake Beach because it has a grocery store with a liquor store attached. Perfect for stocking up. They have some good restaurants too.

I spent many a summer at Chesapeake Bay when I was a kid. Our family camping trips alternated between there and Rehoboth Beach. I don’t know about the liquor stores, but they have (/had) some great campgrounds!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Taylor's response was Mauna Lea - Ian's was Mauna Loa - both incorrect. Then Simona gave the correct response of Mauna Kea.

Thanks; I guess I was so busy trying to spit out the right second word, I didn't notice the third contestant managed it.

• Like 1
(edited)

July 25:

63% / 57% / 59%

Not a good night. Missed one in Just Googly It (silly category, but fun) and Greek Letter, two in OED Describes the Animal, Rhyme The Time, and Something's Rotten, and three in Denmark. In DJ I ran Somebody Wrote That, missed one in This American Lake, two in Kiss & Tell, three in Writer-Directors and Idioms, and four in State the 19th Century Senator.

Didn't get FJ; I did say star but I couldn't come up with what the other part might be. Then I felt kinda dumb because it seemed pretty obvious after the fact.

TSes (there were 14 again; 7 in each round, plus one DD in the second) were goldfish, Annie Proulx, left of center, and Ralph Ellison (DD).

I got Grover Cleveland but I was laughing too hard at the picture to actually say it. Good thing that still counts in my living room. Also, I, too, gave both pronunciations of Frankenstein.

I will miss Taylor and his blue eyes.

Edited by ams1001
forgot a TS
  • Like 4
(edited)

Eh.

Only one good category in the J round - got 4 in "Rhyme the Time". TSs were goldfish and decline the wine.

Not much better in DJ, but got 4 right in 3 categories - "Somebody Wrote That", "Kiss and Tell" and "The Idioms Go Thataway". TSs/missed DDs were Ralph Ellison (DD), Jacob and left of center.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:33 PM, ams1001 said:

Didn't get FJ; I did say star but I couldn't come up with what the other part might be. Then I felt kinda dumb because it seemed pretty obvious after the fact.

Exactly - knew it was star something or something star but couldn't get the other part.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2

I'm 0/3 so far this last week of the season. 

If FJ had been a regular clue, I wonder if I'd have gotten credit for Rising Star. 
Probably not, since "Rising" does not necessarily denote "exceptional brightness." 

Oh well, as Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day," which works for me if they do reruns, given my poor memory for things that have no performative component, like crafts or music. Jeopardy! reruns will be like first runs to my brain.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

Getting both Ralph Ellison and Superstar instantly made up for me completely missing the last few FJs.

I am so glad Julie won.  I liked the previous champ but I never want to see anyone try to lick their elbow again..unless I'm drunk or they are.

Edited by stonehaven
  • Like 13
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If FJ had been a regular clue, I wonder if I'd have gotten credit for Rising Star. 
Probably not, since "Rising" does not necessarily denote "exceptional brightness." 

Rising star is also not a compound word.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so glad Julie won.  I liked the previous champ but I never want to see anyone try to lick their elbow again..unless I'm drunk or they are.

I don't either, but gross as it is/was, I do want to know many here immediately tried to lick theirs.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8

I was surprised no one figured out decline the wine.  I guess because it was the first one chosen in that category, and about halfway through the round, so it had been a bit since Ken explained it?  And the left of center TS surprised me, with one of them having said it backward. 

I only ran Greek letters and rhyme time in the first round, but I got all but one each in googly (weird category, but funny) and animals.  I missed two in rotten and was terrible (for a first round category) in Denmark, missing three.

In DJ, senators was my crappy category; I only got Texas!  I was pretty bad in kisses, too, missing three.  I missed two in authors.  I only ran lakes, and got all but one each in writer-directors and idioms.

FJ was an instaget, at least.

• Like 3

For FJ I briefly thought “shining star” but then realized that wasn’t a compound word so thought “what else with actors is -star, ah yes superstar!” and was surprised that all three didn’t get it. It seemed pretty easy to me.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thank you. Me: “Star… star… shooting star! Not a compound word… star… star…” I felt like an idiot afterward. I blame it on lack of sleep.

5 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I never want to see anyone try to lick their elbow again..unless I'm drunk or they are.

There were two things I disliked about him even more than that. The first was the way he tried to pump up the crowd (“Do you want to see it?”) beforehand, the second was the way he turned a Hitler moustache into a hairstyle choice.

IMG_0400.jpeg.401f2a8258aea4303692f3ed5a26de62.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I got the star part of FJ! but couldn’t pull super out of my brain.  Any word on what will be aired after this week? I really hope not the Masters Tournament.  Did Mattea participate in her year’s TOC?

Missed the edit window.  Did Mattea participate in their year’s TOC?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Thank you. Me: “Star… star… shooting star! Not a compound word… star… star…” I felt like an idiot afterward. I blame it on lack of sleep.

I said 'supernova' but that didn't quite fit, then 'star' popped in my brain then 'superstar' so I did get it and in time.

• Like 5
(edited)

It's kind of reassuring that so many here didn't get this.  There are so many FJ's that I couldn't have picked from a multiple choice test, but this one popped into my brain so easily that I thought it was too obvious!

And now Mary Katherine Gallagher and Jesus Christ are fighting it out in my head.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 11
13 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

For FJ I briefly thought “shining star” but then realized that wasn’t a compound word so thought “what else with actors is -star, ah yes superstar!” and was surprised that all three didn’t get it. It seemed pretty easy to me.

The clue mentioned 1910, which is the year Halley's comet appeared, so I couldn't stop thinking it had to be part of the answer.  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't either, but gross as it is/was, I do want to know many here immediately tried to lick theirs.

I didn't, because I already know all too well that my shoulders are not that flexible.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was surprised no one figured out decline the wine.  I guess because it was the first one chosen in that category, and about halfway through the round, so it had been a bit since Ken explained it?  

I got the wine part, but I took too long trying to come up with a rhyming word to fit.

4 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I liked Andrew’s glasses.

I did, too, but I can't with that haircut.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Did Mattea participate in their year’s TOC?

They were in the 2022 TOC.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/tournament-champions

• Like 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

There were two things I disliked about him even more than that. The first was the way he tried to pump up the crowd (“Do you want to see it?”) beforehand, the second was the way he turned a Hitler moustache into a hairstyle choice.

IMG_0400.jpeg.401f2a8258aea4303692f3ed5a26de62.jpeg

It's even worse than that, he combined the moustache with the hairstyle to make one abomination. 

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2