Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Does anyone remember a question from a few weeks ago that involved a Canadian author? I thought the book title was Ghost Stories but I can't find anything in WorldCat or Amazon that sounds likely. And of course I don't remember the author's name.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ABay said:

Does anyone remember a question from a few weeks ago that involved a Canadian author? I thought the book title was Ghost Stories but I can't find anything in WorldCat or Amazon that sounds likely. And of course I don't remember the author's name.

This one?

Show #8921 - Monday, July 24, 2023

INTERNATIONAL BOOKS

"Ghost Stories", a graphic novel from Canadian Jeff Lemire is set in a town outside this city, across the river from Detroit [Windsor]

• Like 2

Catching up from last night.  I watched my recording rather than using the archive because I read some clickbait headline about "a contestant's tongue trick" -- I didn't click to the article.  And I kind of wish I'd used the archive, but I would have missed the googly category, which would have been tragic.  I also said "Frankenstein" both ways.

<ahem>  I did get FJ, but it was not quite an instaget.  I also got the TS of Carlsberg, bat, goldfish, decline the wine, Ralph Ellison, Annie Proulx, and left of center.

I am glad the middle guy didn't win, and it has nothing to do with being able to lick his elbow.

• Like 3

Whew.  I almost wrote down "Rent", but corrected myself in plenty of time.  Good for me.

I also got the TS of Dune, Abbot Elementary, electricity (assuming they would have accepted that), and photon.

I was rooting for Alex.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

I kept getting only half of the responses correct so it wasn't a good game for me. Lucas was good (well, we shall see tomorrow how good he is). Nice contestants. No quirks. Speaking of quirks, I read that Ray was the first champ to withdraw from the TOC as he refuses to cross the picket line. Others seem to be falling into place behind him.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

July 26

70% / 70% / 70%

Decent game, even though I didn't run anything in the first round. Missed one each in Crooks, TV Shows by Episode Title, and World of Religion, and two in Literature, I'm Blue, and DA or BA or DEE.

In DJ I ran From the French, missed one each in Physics, Taking Stock, and Long Movies, two in Brace for Landing, and four in Dual Biographies.

FJ was an instaget (admittedly thanks to RENT). I was watching at my parents' and my mom said, "She knows her opera!" and I replied, "No, I know my Broadway musical based on an opera."

Got the TSes of Abbott Elementary (which I've never watched but figured was a logical guess; same with a few others in that category), Cesare Borgia, electric current, Aeschylus, and photon (DD).

• Like 4

Cultural osmosis did not come through for me this time; I blew the TV category entirely.  It was not my finest round; I only ran crooks.  I got all but one in religion (thanks to a couple of lucky guesses, but I'll take it) and the vocabulary category, but missed missed two each in the others.

In DJ, I only ran French, but I had a good round; I missed two each in physics and landing, but got all but one in the rest.

I had very little hope going into FJ based on the category, but, thanks to Rent, it came to mind.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I kept getting only half of the responses correct so it wasn't a good game for me. Lucas was good (well, we shall see tomorrow how good he is). Nice contestants. No quirks. Speaking of quirks, I read that Ray was the first champ to withdraw from the TOC as he refuses to cross the picket line. Others seem to be falling into place behind him.

I read an article on Yahoo that said the Tournament of Champions is on hold because so many contestants are refusing to cross the picket line.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

Big storm knocked out power last night so there was no Jeopardy! for me.

I checked JBoard this morning for FJ and I did get it, my first of the week.

I started going through the archives for the rest of the game but it is pretty boring playing that way, so I quit about halfway through.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 7/25/2023 at 5:14 PM, shapeshifter said:

Oh well, as Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day," which works for me if they do reruns, given my poor memory for things that have no performative component, like crafts or music. Jeopardy! reruns will be like first runs to my brain.

Reruns are always first runs to my brain (even though I eventually build up the right answers to certain things...over a long period of time).

On 7/25/2023 at 5:14 PM, stonehaven said:

I am so glad Julie won.  I liked the previous champ but I never want to see anyone try to lick their elbow again..unless I'm drunk or they are.

That has to be the weirdest thing I can remember seeing on Jeopardy. And a weird thing to include in your questionnaire.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:17 PM, Leeds said:

I don't either, but gross as it is/was, I do want to know many here immediately tried to lick theirs.

Even knowing we had never been nimble enough, the Starling household made a valiant attempt.

I would have bet 0 on Opera too - but I managed to get La Boheme by way of Rent.

I did pretty well overall, but didn't run anything. I would have done really well, had a number of answers not hung up in my brain just before coming out of my mouth. Sigh..

I always remember Ganesha very fondly, as one of my daughter's friends in the first or second grade was from India, and explained Ganesha to me so sweetly. She was such a lovely girl. She said stuff like "Oh My Mrs Starling, this ice cream is so delicious." 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

New winner annoys me— I think it’s his badly dyed try-hard hair. 

This is how I imagine his thought process: "How can I distract my students (and potential Jeopardy! viewers) from noticing that I'm balding and mocking me?  I know, I'll dye my remaining hair an unnatural-looking and conspicuous auburn."

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4

July 27:

57% / 57% / 56%

J!: Ugh, more anagrams? I only got one of them. Also missed three in Triple Time, two in Forbes Billionaires and Movie Adaptations, and one each in Historic Americans and Books of the Old Testament.

DJ: Missed one in Starts with H-I, two in World Cities, Play Time and That Song Slays, three in Bar Mitzvah Boy and Pirates.

Did not get FJ.

TSes were L'Oréal, Psalms (that's the second time recently that Psalms has been a TS), and GB Shaw (DD).

I liked Zach's story about his letter of recommendation for his wife. That was cute.

Here's hoping for a better game tomorrow to end the season.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I was terribly worried about FJ when I saw the category, but it turned out to be an instaget for me.

I also got the TS of L'Oreal (only because I'm worth it), Ham/Shem/Japheth, Jean Lafitte, and Kidd.

• Like 5

I knew who Ralph Lifshitz is but could only come up with Ralph L.--my brain froze (so I always have empathy when that happens to contestants).  Got Nike but it sure wasn't my best night. Guess I wouldn't get credit for my FJ: the French Legion. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2

I knew Jeannette Rankin! I did a report on women in Congress when I was in junior high school, a few decades ago. But it stuck with me.

In the mid-1980s, I lived in a tiny rural spot in upstate NY, which was called Austerlitz. I always wondered where the name came from and now I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the 1805 battle, for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

That's right where the Mass Turnpike turns into the NYS Thruway, right? I've driven by the sign many times on my way to WNY. Austerlitz was one of Napoleon's greatest victories, so the town probably was named for it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

In the mid-1980s, I lived in a tiny rural spot in upstate NY, which was called Austerlitz. I always wondered where the name came from and now I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the 1805 battle, for some reason.

It was!

The town was organized from parts of the towns of Hillsdale, Chatham, and Canaan, March 28, 1818. A little more than one-fifteenth of the present town was taken from Chatham, a little over one-eighth from Canaan, and a little less than five-sixths from Hillsdale. From the fact that among the first settlers there were no less than twelve families of Spencers, the north part of Hillsdale had been known from the first as "Spencer's-town." This name finally attached itself simply to the village, and when the division of the town was being talked up it was proposed to call the new town "New Ulm." When the bill erecting it passed the Legislature, however, Martin Van Buren, then a State Senator, and who, being an ardent admirer of the great Napoleon, was somewhat incensed at one of his political opponents (Elisha Williams, if we mistake not), who had succeeded in having a town in Seneca County christened "Waterloo," leaped to his feet and moved to amend by calling the new town "Austerlitz." Having carried his point, he retired to his seat, saying "There's an Austerlitz for your Waterloo."

(bolding mine)

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I got Ham and Shem, but couldn't come up with Japheth. Can I count it as a .67 TS?

I had parts of all of them and was trying to figure out how the SH and the ETH and JA and the  HAM all fit together.

Fred Astaire's birth name was Austerlitz, I believe.

FJ was an Instaget for me, my brain did not give me any reason for it, it just popped out.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, ABay said:

That's right where the Mass Turnpike turns into the NYS Thruway, right? I've driven by the sign many times on my way to WNY. Austerlitz was one of Napoleon's greatest victories, so the town probably was named for it.

Confession: I don't drive. My ex did all the driving. I can't remember where it was relative to the pike.

I can tell you about the big tree with two trunks that had enough space between them that you could bring someone there and smooch in the tree platform, and I can tell you about the pond and the nettle patch and the bald eagle we saw circling our yard, and the bat that got into the house, and the wild turkey who intimidated our cat while protecting her chicks. But I can't for the life of me remember the paved roads or which ones were closest to us.

We had to drive over the border to MA to get groceries, though. And in the winter, bring them back to the house on a sled while wearing snowshoes (my ex did that, too) because the driveway wasn't passable.

So I know there were paved roads somewhere sort of nearby, but my head was in another dimension most of those years, where the blizzards and little red efts and kittens filled the space where roadways might have been.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It was!

Thanks!!

There was really no one to ask at the time. The postmistress was the only person with any official status and she didn't know.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Waaaaaaaaa😖. I frequently jump the gun & ignore what they really want. 

Me too. This one was egregious for me, though. Kids went to UofOregon, we've been in the Knight Arena, and until this question the penny didn't drop that it was named after the Nike guy - even though I knew the Nike guy had gone there. Sigh...

Managed to get FJ, though I wouldn't have guessed the FFL started so early. So at least this last week of Jeopardy I will have more than one FJ.

• Like 3

Had to record Wednesday's game due to the stupid women's soccer game, so I don't remember how I did, although I did get FJ.

Last night's game was mediocre for me.  Got FJ easily enough, but only ran Movie Adaptations and Pirates, and only got all but 1 clue in Triple Time, Historic Americans, World Cities, Play Time and Starts With "H-I".  I did get the triple stumpers Ham, Shem & Japheth, L'Oreal, Nigeria, Little Foxes, Kafka, Jean Lafitte, USS Kidd and Spanish Main.

I should've gotten Mumbai, but although I knew Kipling was born in India, I could only come up with Dehli even though I didn't think that was correct.

Enough with the damned religion categories.  I'm definitely sending them an email  about that.

On 7/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, ams1001 said:

Also, I, too, gave both pronunciations of Frankenstein.

I totally said it the correct way according to Mel Brooks, lol.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:17 PM, Leeds said:

but I never want to see anyone try to lick their elbow again

I thought it was funny and don't the hoo ha about it.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:58 AM, dgpolo said:

I said 'supernova' but that didn't quite fit, then 'star' popped in my brain then 'superstar' so I did get it and in time.

Me, too.

• Like 4
On 7/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, Browncoat said:

Whew.  I almost wrote down "Rent", but corrected myself in plenty of time.  Good for me.

If I had been the new champ, I'd have won $40,200 because I'd have bet it all on Opera Source Material.  Opera is one of my 'only every missed once' categories. 

On 7/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, Clanstarling said:

I always remember Ganesha very fondly

I always think of Apu's wedding on the Simpsons when I think of Ganesha.  "Would your elephant like a peanut?"

I don't mind Lucas's hair.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Enough with the damned religion categories.  I'm definitely sending them an email  about that.

Perhaps you could mention that some of us are sick of anagrams too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Perhaps you could mention that some of us are sick of anagrams too.

I just did both.  There are far too many subjects in the world for them to keep using some over and over and over in such a short period of time.

• Like 1
  • Applause 6

July 28:

77% / 47% / 62%

Going out with a …meh. Pretty good first round, but a terrible second. In J! I missed two in It Gets Old, and one each in everything else. In DJ I ran If You Know What's Good For You, missed four in On the Money and three each in everything else.

FJ was beyond an instaget; I said it before Ken even finished reading.

TSes were Rocket (just a guess and I was pleasantly surprised), mile, and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Hopefully things get sorted out in time for the next season to start on time.

• Like 3

Not the ending to the season I would have liked but not too bad a game for me.

I got the missed DDs or ts's of Rocket (Richard), the (old) Pretender, tobacco, India & Bangladesh, and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Did not get FJ.  I have vaguely heard the term 'gonzo' journalism but I could have sat here till the cows came home without coming up with it.

I'm going to miss you all during the hiatus. 

Hope the new season starts in a reasonable time without them having to use recycled clues. That isn't even fair to the new contestants.

• Like 7

It took me a few seconds tonight (with a brief detour to "yellow", which I knew was wrong) to get to the correct FJ, but I did get there in plenty of time to write it down.  And we got a "Hello!" from Ken!

I also got the TS of mile, Washington, tobacco, Ecce Homo, India & Bangladesh, and Wordsworth.

Incidentally, the town of Buchanan in Virginia is lovely (and only a couple of hours from where I live).

It does not hurt my feelings that middle woman didn't win.  Actually, I didn't really root for any of them tonight.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, the town of Buchanan in Virginia is lovely (and only a couple of hours from where I live).

I stopped for gas once in Buchanan. Saw the car wash across the street and it amused me. I have no idea why...

Got FJ easily.

2010.06.30.03 Busters in Buchanan .JPG

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It took me a few seconds tonight (with a brief detour to "yellow", which I knew was wrong) to get to the correct FJ, but I did get there in plenty of time to write it down.

Exactly the same for me! (Yellow. No, not Yellow. Gonzo? Gonzo!)
Today's TSs/missed DDs were Mile and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

I got Thursday's FJ French Foreign Legion too, with TSs of Psalms; Heart; Shem, Ham & Japheth; and Tiger, but not could not get LeBron in time.

So a good season end rally for me. 

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I stopped for gas once in Buchanan. Saw the car wash across the street and it amused me. I have no idea why...

Got FJ easily.

2010.06.30.03 Busters in Buchanan .JPG

I knew someone from that town. She pronounced it as BUCK annon. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I knew someone from that town. She pronounced it as BUCK annon. 

Are you sure that wasn’t West Virginia?  Because it has a Buckhannon (pronounced the way you  wrote). 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Just seen on the Jeopardy! Facebook page (but posting a twitter-or-whatever-they're-calling-it-today link because FB links don't embed):

Not the 50 yard dash?  That and football instead of Halloween had me wondering where they found that woman. But she ended up with a decent game. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
(edited)
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Uh-oh...yeah, she was from West Virginia. So there's a town in VA with the same name? I guess they pronounced it the way it looks???

Two different places. Buchanan VA (pronounced like the president) (per Wikipedia, pronounced Buh-kan-an), and Buckhannon WV (honestly I lived there 3 years but I have no idea where the name came from).

Edited by SoMuchTV
learned something new from my fellow posters!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have no idea where the name came from).

Wikipedia says: "The City of Buckhannon was established on January 15, 1816, officially named for Buckongahelas[8] (1720-1805), the legendary Lenape Chief. A statue of Buckongahelas and his fallen son, crafted by Buckhannon sculptor Ross Straight, was erected in Buckhannon West Virginia’s Jawbone Park in 2000."

The tribe's name is pronounced LEN uh pee.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You just never know how some of these towns' names are pronounced (e.g., Lima, OH=Lime-ah; Cairo, NY = Cayro).  There are more but I just can't think of them right now 😊

Maybe Norfolk VA vs Norfolk NB? But we should probably take this to chit chat, so we have something to talk about over lo these many months…

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I was rooting for Monika or Sharon and was really hoping that Sharon would secure the runaway but she couldn't do it.

I could only think of muckraking and yellow as types of journalism so even though I knew it was wrong I would have had to write muckraking as my guess. I assume that that was what was in Sharon's mind when she went for mudslinging.

• Like 3