Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

It sure sounded to me that Kathy said “ Ugly American”……( I replayed it a few times) .. and she looked puzzled when he said she was wrong. The $4000 she lost there would have made her champion .  I’m surprised I see no other comments , is my hearing that bad??

I wondered what she had done wrong too - it sounded okay to me.

But according to the archive, she added an s on American. 

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Trey said:

I wondered what she had done wrong too - it sounded okay to me.

But according to the archive, she added an s on American. 

I heard the "s" at the end of American.

• Like 12
18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I heard the "s" at the end of American.

Me too. My brain was ticking over into -I don't think that's... when it was ruled wrong.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Trey said:

I did like Dennis's story about forging library cards to get more books.  I could relate - when I first joined the library as a child I could get only one book out at a time - it was very frustrating to a little voracious reader.

I was so excited as a child when I got to get books from the bookmobile. I can still remember my indignant anger when I learned I could only get two. NOT ENOUGH!

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I totally forgot the Maine.

🤣 Me too.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've been watching too much Star Trek. I said, "Enterprise."  LOL

I said that, telling myself that there had been Enterprises before THE Enterprise (though I'm thinking now it was only after Star Trek that things were named Enterprise.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

It depends, for me, whether I'm okay with being spoiled.  I absolutely will avoid spoilers for competitions like J! or TAR (I don't want to know who wins until I see it!), or even a movie with a major twist (spoilers would have ruined The Sixth Sense for me).

The Sixth Sense is a perfect movie as an example, as is The Sting. We've re watched both of them, and they were good, but the magic was only the first time around. I avoid spoilers, but not too diligently - especially if I figure I'm not going to see the show or movie for a long time. By the time I'd see it, I would have forgotten it anyway.

• Like 2

I also heard the "s" on the end of Kathy's "...Ugly Americans." Knew it would be wrong even before Ken's ruling.

There have been lots of ships named Enterprise (or sometimes Enterprize), both American and British. The earliest I can find is HMS Enterprise, a 24-gun Royal Navy ship registered in 1705. 

The Star Trek ship was most likely named after either the conventional aircraft carrier Enterprise (CV-6) which was instrumental in the Pacific theater of WWII, or the nuclear carrier Enterprise (CVN-65), which was the U.S. Navy's first nuclear powered carrier. It's not entirely clear which of the two Gene Roddenberry had in mind--possibly both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I also heard the "s" on the end of Kathy's "...Ugly Americans." Knew it would be wrong even before Ken's ruling.

Just now went to YouTube to listen again, she definitely said Americanzzz, it wasn't even a short/half s/z sound. It was more like how I spelled it with the three Z's. And she looked like she was agreeing with the ruling not surprised, more like 'Oh yeah! I should've got that'

I also looked up Lady Day as a movie, there was a filmed stage production of Lady Day (in large letters) at Emerson's Bar & Grill (in small letters) that was on TV and listed as a TV movie, so maybe they accepted it because of that?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said that, telling myself that there had been Enterprises before THE Enterprise (though I'm thinking now it was only after Star Trek that things were named Enterprise.

The nuclear wessel was the Enterprise.

• Like 1
  • LOL 14

Well, now we're back in the lousy game zone.  11 stumpers, 1 missed DD and they left 2 clues on the board.  Plus the champ get trying to answer before Ken acknowledged him, so I was hoping he'd lose.  Was rooting for Dennis, but then he blew FJ.  Oh well.

I did great in the first round and not so great in DJ.  Ran Headlines, Live Cams, Nonfiction and Animal Expressions.  Got all but 1 clue in Eat It! (should've run that one but said lounge chair for the Ikea clue), "R" Song, Medicine, Movie Before & After and Religious Symbols.  Only got 5 of the stumpers, though: wolves, slipper, Scott Pilgrim vs the World According to Garp, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly American and creche.

I would've bet it all on FG because ships/navies are particular areas of interest for me.  I did get it correct, although it wasn't an instaget.  Had to think a moment because my initial reaction was "First US battleship? Huh?", but then I focused on the year 1889, added 9 years and realized it had to be the Maine.  Still would've had time to write it down before the think music ended.

Why are Maryland-related clues almost always about Agnew?!?!?

Oh, and no, JPII, the Shroud of Turin isn't a mirror of the Gospels; it's a fucking medieval fake used to con people out of their money.  But that goes for all holy objects claiming to be pieces of the true cross, saints' bones, etc., anyway.

22 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Actually, it has passed in enough states, but the last several came after the deadline set by Congress. 

Thank you for the info.  Still terribly disheartening, though.

20 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I understand how Alan Shepard gets overlooked in all the John Glenn hoopla, but I easily remember him because our school cafeteria served shepherd's pie on the day he went into space. I had never heard of shepherd's pie before.

I've been fascinated by space exploration since I was a young child, so I knew about Shepard but will confess to having a fondness for him since Scott Glenn played him in The Right Stuff.  Turns out he was a real manwhore, though, which was disappointing to learn.  How dare he be human with bad qualities?

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Had to root for Dennis after learning he forged IDs as a child to get extra library cards so he could get more books.

Ken is right - that is the most Jeopardy crime ever!

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

You might enjoy this episode of the 99% Invisible podcast:

The House that Came in the Mail

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

15 hours ago, SHD said:

I’m usually not very vocal over rulings, but I don’t think “My Fair Lady Day” should’ve been accepted. The category specifically said Movie Before and After. There was no movie titled just Lady Day, was there?

I wouldn't have accepted it, but apparently there was a tv movie named "Lady Day: The Many Faces of Billie Holiday in the 90s.  Or what Bastet said.

3 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

It sure sounded to me that Kathy said “ Ugly American”……( I replayed it a few times) .. and she looked puzzled when he said she was wrong. The $4000 she lost there would have made her champion .  I’m surprised I see no other comments , is my hearing that bad??

I didn't hear it when she said it but I went back and watched and yes, the "s" was there.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

or the existence of Baby Yoda, 

Say WHAT?!

Just kidding. I agree: minor spoilers fine, big spoilers bad. And if I think there might be a spoiler that could change my viewing experience, I will go to great lengths to avoid it. The biggest unwelcome spoiler I ever got was on a previous incarnation of this board (MBTV, I think) where on a non-Sopranos board, on the same night it happened, someone expressed shock and dismay about Adriana’s 

Spoiler

murder. Spoiler tagged now because you never know who still hasn’t watched.

I still hate that person, and I’m still mad.

• Hugs 2
  • Applause 2

I used to read movie reviews. The worst one I read was for The Sting. It said there was a twist near the end. Damn.  So when Redford

Spoiler

"died" and blood came out of his mouth, I remembered him sticking something in his mouth while he was getting dressed, decided it was a blood ruse and started laughing in the theater. A whole bunch of people glared at me - how could I possibly think that was funny?

I stopped reading reviews after that.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

July 14:

70% / 70% / 70%

Decent game (and consistent!). I didn't run anything in the first round, but I only missed one each in Modern Fantasy Lit, 3,3, Good Afternoon!, and Bands, two in Touch of Grey, and three in Families in US History. In DJ I ran Science and In Syndication, and missed two in Dying in the Capital City, Around the House, and TV Shows, and three in Old Testament.

I guessed FJ correctly (based on the year and California; never heard of the book).

Only 7 TSes tonight! (3 in J and 4 in DJ). I got niacin, gluons, and supinate.

I wasn't particularly rooting for anyone tonight, so I'm good with the winner. Though I'll admit Ittai grew on me a bit.

11 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

To be fair, she didn't say anything about doing it in a theater. She might have been watching it at home. A lot of people wait for movies to come out on streaming these days, especially if it's not something they're particularly interested in.

Okay, fair enough; I thought she at least implied in the theater but maybe not (and I don't care enough to look for it to rewatch).

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That said, I rarely, if ever, actively seek out spoilers.  Sometimes it just happens.

I don't seek them out, and if it's a movie I want to see enough to go to the theater, I wouldn't want to be spoiled. (If it's something I'm willing to wait until I can watch at home I just accept that it might happen...there's a good chance that by the time I get around to watching something I'll forget, anyway). I regularly read episode threads here for things like Grey's Anatomy and other shows even if I haven't had a chance to watch yet (not Jeopardy, though; if I'm catching up on this thread and realize a new post is about the current game I'm still watching, I'll quickly scroll back up a bit or go to another window; not so much because I don't want to spoil who wins but because I don't want to accidentally see any answers). 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

Today was just o.k. for me. I blame it on the fact that I was getting ready to go out to dinner with friends and wasn't fully focused on the game and that my audio was doing weird things and cutting out here and there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I did have some good categories, especially in DJ. Of course the 4 good categories in DJ were offset by the other 2 horrendous ones. In the J round I got 4 in "A Touch of Grey" and in DJ I ran "Dying in the Capital City" and got 4 in "Who's Who in the Old Testament", "TV Shows" and "In Syndication". Only one TS though - niacin.

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guessed FJ correctly (based on the year and California; never heard of the book).

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I correctly guessed FJ because Jeopardy! loves that guy.  The year and central California fit, too. 

I got to FJ the same way. At first I just looked at the clue and said "huh"? Then I put 1930 and Central California together and guessed Steinbeck. That gives me 4 out of 5 correct FJs for the week. The only one I missed was Manet/Monet from Monday and I really should have gotten that one since Monet is probably my favorite artist and I love Impressionist works in general.

And Ittai - I ❤️ Sam Buttrey and you sir are no Sam Buttrey. Glad you are gone so I don't have to see any more of your "bring it ons".

• Like 11

I love that Ken is a My So-Called Life fan; great show indeed.  I also enjoyed his reaction to Ittai's bulging wallet being "that's a George Costanza wallet" because I, too, immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode.

Unlike dominating Daniel, I was off my game tonight.  In the first round, I only ran 3, 3.  I got all but the Lowell TS in families, all but Daft Punk in bands, and all but Ishiguro in fantasy lit (I was stunned to do well in that category, as it's not at all my genre, but thankfully for several you didn't have to know the works).  But I missed two each in the rest.

In DJ, I only ran TV.  I got all but tessellated (never heard of it) in Around the House, but that was it for good categories.  As expected, I was terrible in the Bible category; I only knew Methuselah.  Unexpectedly, I was also pretty bad in capitals, missing three.  <sigh>  I can tell you the capital of most countries, but my brain was just not figuring out the countries so I could say the capitals.  I missed another three in the vocabulary category, which is also usually a strong area for me.  I missed two in science.

Thankfully, I rebounded to correctly guess FJ; I don't know the book, but the year and central CA made me immediately think Steinbeck and I figured that had to be right.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

guessed FJ correctly (based on the year and California; never heard of the book).

Well, since it was unpublished it would be pretty hard to hear of it (unless you were an obsessive Steinbeck fan).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I missed the whole game due to company except for FJ.

I hope I remember from now on that 1930s Central California writer = Steinbeck.  I said Dashiell Hammett which I thought was a good guess - wrong, but a good guess.

I figured the book must have been unpublished or I would have heard of it.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, chicagofan said:

And Ittai - I ❤️ Sam Buttrey and you sir are no Sam Buttrey. Glad you are gone so I don't have to see any more of your "bring it ons".

lol...when he did that (and it was the second time, I think), I yelled "You're not Sam!" at my TV.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

lol...when he did that (and it was the second time, I think), I yelled "You're not Sam!" at my TV.

I think he did it at least two times - obviously it can only be done if you're the contestant picking the last clue of the round.

I didn't mind it when some of the others did during Jeopardy! Masters since Sam was there and it was part of the camaraderie of that tournament. But when Ittai did it he had this look on his face that bugged me.

And I don't like it when contestants mimic James' "all in" motion either - I didn't even like it when James did it.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
34 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

I think he did it at least two times - obviously it can only be done if you're the contestant picking the last clue of the round.

I didn't mind it when some of the others did during Jeopardy! Masters since Sam was there and it was part of the camaraderie of that tournament. But when Ittai did it he had this look on his face that bugged me.

And I don't like it when contestants mimic James' "all in" motion either - I didn't even like it when James did it.

I've missed the last two nights. Wow...sorry to learn that Ittai was trying to do a "Sam". It always falls flat when someone tries to use an originator's move/gimmick/whatever (except in the case of Sam's fellow Masters competitors...I still miss all of them 🤗). 

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to read movie reviews. The worst one I read was for The Sting. It said there was a twist near the end. Damn.  So when Redford

Reveal spoiler

"died" and blood came out of his mouth, I remembered him sticking something in his mouth while he was getting dressed, decided it was a blood ruse and started laughing in the theater. A whole bunch of people glared at me - how could I possibly think that was funny?

I stopped reading reviews after that.

I stopped reading reviews until after I'd seen the film, and then I read them mostly to see if I agreed with the critic. With Roger Ebert it was to see what detail he got wrong. It was generally a minor detail, but telling. It bugged me at first and then it became a treasure hunt.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I correctly guessed FJ because Jeopardy! loves that guy.  The year and central California fit, too.  

The only TS I got were gluons and supinate.

I call knowing too much about the subject blindness. I took Steinbeck in college, read all of his works (so I thought), and he was my favorite author of his generation. I did not connect to him because a horror murder mystery did not connect with me, even with the date and location.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Well, since it was unpublished it would be pretty hard to hear of it (unless you were an obsessive Steinbeck fan).

Thank you. That makes me feel better about blowing it.

It was an okay game.

I liked Ittai well enough. Though I'm a big Buttrey fan, I didn't mind him using his catch phrase. People often use techniques/phrases from people that inspire them.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

liked Ittai well enough. Though I'm a big Buttrey fan, I didn't mind him using his catch phrase. People often use techniques/phrases from people that inspire them.

Didn't bother me, either. I took it as an homage. I liked him, actually. He seemed to be having fun, and his stories were sweet.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Glad you are gone so I don't have to see any more of your "bring it ons".

Or your near-seizure-level buzzing, or your answering before being acknowledged, or your too-long shirt sleeves (that may have just been Friday), or your ridiculous gestures both during introductions and while answering, or ... 

[Can you tell I was pleased to get a new champion?]  😀

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

For some reason ittai reminded me of Elon musk

Ittai reminded me of someone and all I could come up with was Jimmy Fallon.  Your suggestion is better.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Ittai reminded me of someone and all I could come up with was Jimmy Fallon.  Your suggestion is better.

He reminded me of a young Jon Lovitz.

• Like 5

Damn, Daniel! Good for you.

So, I once helped a friend remove a splinter from her finger. Does this qualify me an an interesting Jeopardy contestant? No? How dare you.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, Bastet said:

I also enjoyed his reaction to Ittai's bulging wallet being "that's a George Costanza wallet" because I, too, immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode.

Same here. I actually shouted it out as Ken simultaneously referenced it. It was an odd thing to be used as a Jeopardy story, but whatever. I liked Ittai and I won’t disparage his wallet.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Though I'm a big Buttrey fan, I didn't mind him using his catch phrase. People often use techniques/phrases from people that inspire them.

Yes. I take “bring it” or “all in” or whatever phrase a contestant wants to reference as an homage, not an act of piracy. To me, that just meant he’s a Sam fan, and therefore has good taste.

The date + CA led me to Steinbeck, but I was not at all confident. Lucky win for me.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
On 7/14/2023 at 10:49 AM, MrAtoz said:

The weird thing for me was that I thought Ken started to rule *before* she got to the s and I was surprised he was ruling against her and then she finished. I don't know how that is possible but it is what I believed I heard.

I didn't remember the full title of Scott Pilgrim but as soon as I heard "the World" I got to Garp.

I didn't know City Lights so I cheated and paused the recording while I did some other tasks and eventually my subconscious coughed it up. 

I adore Housman but apparently not enough to get daffodil. Sadly I was trying to rhyme with Lent Lily rather than wind at will.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The weird thing for me was that I thought Ken started to rule *before* she got to the s and I was surprised he was ruling against her and then she finished. I don't know how that is possible but it is what I believed I heard.

I went back and checked. Kathy finished her response before Ken ruled. Maybe you are used to Mayim's hesitations. 😉

• LOL 3

That was a decent game for the contestants but not such a great one for me.  I ran 3,3, Dying and TV Shows, and got all but 1 clue in Fantasy Lit, Good Afternoon, Old Testament and In Syndication.  Only got 1 stumper: niacin.

I did get FJ but it wasn't an instaget.  I said Agatha Christie first, for some reason, but then looked more closely at the clue, thought about the "Central California" part and realized it had to be Steinbeck.

Another Bible-related category?  Seems like we've been getting a lot of those lately.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Another Bible-related category?  Seems like we've been getting a lot of those lately.

I'm just waiting for a Bible Anagrams category...

• LOL 6
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've complained again.  If you go to jeopardy.com and scroll to the very bottom, there's a "Contact Us" to click.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Not my best game, but not as bad as some of my Jeopardy! Masters games. And I did have a couple of bright spots.

Only 2 good categories - got 4 in "World Royalty" in the J round and 4 in "Double Talk" in DJ. I feel that there were a bunch of responses I should have gotten, especially in DJ - but no. TSs/missed DDs were Scotia (DD) in the J round and Burundi (DD), excommunication and Los Alamos in DJ. How sad that they missed all 3 DDs.

1 for 1 this week for FJ! At first General Rousseau in the clue confused me, but then I focused on the rest of the clue and Sitka = Alaska and Alaska + Russian commissioner got me to Seward's folly and thus Seward. I like it when it's possible to reason out a clue.

And I owe the fact that I knew that Oregon's flag has different designs on each side to the premiere episode of Sheldon Cooper's "Fun With Flags" on the Big Bang Theory. Of course it didn't hurt that it's a beaver on one side.

• Like 6

An okay game for me.

I got the ts's or missed DDs of coins, Scotia, motorcycle, and carillon.

Instaget FJ.  The category sounded pretty daunting so I was very happy that I knew this one.

• Like 7

July 17:

53% / 57% / 55%

Not a good start to the week…missed one in TV Shows and World Royalty, two 6-Letter Words, three Tom Swift Tales and State Flags, and four Fish People (the only one I got was the one where I only had to know what NYSE stands for).

Only slightly better in the second round…missed one in National Recording Registry (never even heard of Daddy Yankee), two in Double Talk, Poets, and I'll "B" There, and three in Bells and Oppenheimer.

But I got FJ! Took me a few seconds but once I realized Sitka referred to Alaska, it was an instaget.

TSes were coins, Shelley, and Los Alamos.

The first time I ever played Wordle, I got it in one (the word was PANIC). Haven't done it since (and am currently on somewhere around day 14 on my current streak because I failed a couple weeks ago).

• Like 6

Napoleon was an interesting response for FJ tonight, which was an instaget for me.  I was so sure I was wrong, though!  There's really only one response when the clue is about Alaska.

I also got the TS of Scotia, Trinity, carillon, Burundi, Los Alamos, and Shelley.

• Like 4

I was a bit surprised none of them picked up on the hog hint in the motorcycle TS.  Or maybe they didn't know hog is slang for a motorcycle, but Daniel and Jerry at least seemed to have an Oh, duh type reaction when Ken gave the correct response. 

I ran words and flags and got all but one in Tom Swift - I'd never heard of the books, but figured all but magnets out by the hints in the clues- all but the coins TS in royalty, and all but the Man Ray TS in Fish People.  Thanks to cultural osmosis, I only missed two in TV despite not watching any of the shows.

I ran "B", but otherwise DJ was sponsored by the number two -- I missed two each in all the other categories.

I knew FJ referred to the Alaska Purchase, but could not for the life of me remember the guy's name!

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, duh type reaction when Ken gave the correct response. 

Kind of like me with FJ. Yes, it was easy. And no, I didn’t get it.

At least I can claim a better Wordle history than Leann. Although my current obsession is Spelling Bee. I find it hard to accept less than Genius level, which means I have wasted far too many hours staring at that damn honeycomb.

• Like 6

Tom Swift was an interesting place to go for a category. Kids books from the early 20th century is not knowledge that most people have at their fingertips. Fortunately you could reason out the clues fairly easily without really knowing all that much about the actual books, thanks to hints in the wording.

Tom Swift did have a short-lived TV series on The CW last year (spun off from their Nancy Drew series), in an unsuccessful attempt to bring him back to cultural relevance, but the clues didn't really have anything to do with the TV show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have never heard Boudicca pronounced booDICKa, only BOOdicka. 

I've heard it pronounced many different ways but that was a new one for me. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I've heard it pronounced many different ways but that was a new one for me. 

When I was in middle school we were taught the Boadicea spelling and pronounced it boe duh SEE uh but I think Boudic[c]a is considered standard now.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

When I was in middle school we were taught the Boadicea spelling and pronounced it boe duh SEE uh but I think Boudic[c]a is considered standard now.

Same.

It seems to keep changing but the way Ken said it was totally new to me.

• Like 2