Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Nah, I’m not convinced.  I’ll remain skeptical til I see that Byron wrote a note explaining how he feels it should be pronounced.  Maybe there is a YouTube video of him reading his poem.

• LOL 6
(edited)

I wanted Toula to win but the new champ is okay too.

Only two ts's for me, Gladstone (bag) and ACE (inhibitors).

I got FJ but I wasn't too sure about it.  I pronounced it Don Jew on. Because I learned it on Jeopardy! some years ago.

David reminded me of Keegan-Michael Key.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

Worst game of the week - and that's saying something. A couple of decent categories - got 4 in "Crossword Clues 'W'" and "John Lennon" in the J round and "The Danube" in DJ. Only 2 TSs - worrywart and Croatia.

No clue for FJ - which totally sums up today's game and most of this week.

And I hadn't noticed it before, but today I saw what some of you had said about David's mannerisms. The fist pumps when he got the DDs and the hand flutters after most of his responses. Me no like.

• Like 2

I never in a million years would have come up with the correct response for FJ.  I said Kubla Khan.

The only TS I got were king snake, Cheryl Strayed, Treasure Island, and The Way Way Back.

I'm good with Nik winning.  I hadn't paid attention to David's tics before, but yeah, I see what y'all mean.  I liked Toula's voice.

• Like 6
(edited)

Same issue once everyone brought David’s tic to mind, but I did get annoyed with Toula saying please. I wonder if they took up enough time to cause the final two clues to be left on the board. 

All I came up with were Ace Inhibitors and Croatia (was there in May). 

Edited to ask: Would someone please tell me the meaning of the answer 2 X 4/20. I understand the lumber part. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

but I did get annoyed with Toula saying please. I wonder if they took up enough time to cause the final two clues to be left on the board. 

It especially bugs me when they keep doing it after the host says there's less than a minute left. Speed it up!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, chicagofan said:

And I hadn't noticed it before, but today I saw what some of you had said about David's mannerisms.

I was watching for them and they really didn't bother me. I had hoped David would win again but good for Nik. 

I guessed Don Juan although I had not realized it was unfinished. 

I got a lot of TS in the [single] Jeopardy round (Gladstone, worrywart, Whatchamacallit, Way Way Back, Ace inhibitors, fair trade, Cheryl Strayed) but floundered in the snake category.

I noticed that in one of the clues (probably the Black Forest one) they actually put "colorful" in quotes which they have not normally or consistently done even if the colour they want is grey. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)

So glad he lost.  Don't have to watch that again. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Same issue once everyone brought David’s tic to mind, but I did get annoyed with Toula saying please. I wonder if they took up enough time to cause the final two clues to be left on the board. 

All I came up with were Ace Inhibitors and Croatia (was there in May). 

Edited to ask: Would someone please tell me the meaning of the answer 2 X 4/20. I understand the lumber part. 

420 is a not so secret code for marijuana related  activities.  Various theories as to why some say old police lingo others that it originated back at some high school in 1971. I find that one a bit hard to believe but anyway 420 is to marijuana what 69 is to sex. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got Don Juan although I was less than confident about it. In fact, I was in the process of talking myself out of it when time ran out. Saved by the Jeopardy bell!

From the article linked previously:

But look at the words Byron rhymes with Juan. 

Mine's Johnson, and my comrade's Juan    
   The other two are women, and the third    
   Is neither man nor woman.' The chief threw on   
   The party a slight glance, then said, 'I have heard   
   Your name before, the second is a new one:....

Never does Byron rhyme Juan was a "wan"-sounding word, like yawn, or dawn. 

If this is the case for pronouncing Juan “Joo-on”, then I call BS. When pronounced “wan”, the name in the first line rhymes perfectly with “on” in the third line. There’s no need to include an extra syllable. And “yawn” and “dawn” are not “wan”-sounding words. They would rhyme with “wawn”, but that’s another pronunciation altogether.

I, too learned the “joo-on” pronunciation from Jeopardy. But now I’m beginning to wonder…

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I got Don Juan although I was less than confident about it. In fact, I was in the process of talking myself out of it when time ran out. Saved by the Jeopardy bell!

From the article linked previously:

If this is the case for pronouncing Juan “Joo-on”, then I call BS. When pronounced “wan”, the name in the first line rhymes perfectly with “on” in the third line. There’s no need to include an extra syllable. And “yawn” and “dawn” are not “wan”-sounding words. They would rhyme with “wawn”, but that’s another pronunciation altogether.

I, too learned the “joo-on” pronunciation from Jeopardy. But now I’m beginning to wonder…

You can't look just at the rhyme -- the lines don't scan unless Juan has two syllables. 

I want a hero: an uncommon want,
When every year and month sends forth a new one,
Till, after cloying the gazettes with cant,
The age discovers he is not the true one;
Of such as these I should not care to vaunt,
I’ll therefore take our ancient friend Don Juan—
We all have seen him, in the pantomime,
Sent to the devil somewhat ere his time.

However the rhyme and the metre can't prove whether Juan should start with a J sound rather than an H sound, so I am curious to know how the J is attested.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Trying to tidy up the quote
  • Like 3

I was a little surprised by the ACE inhibitors TS and that no one figured out worrywart.

I didn't run a single category in the first round.  I missed two in baggage, and one each in the rest. 

In DJ, I ran senators and deep dives and got all but one each in before & after, Danube, and B.C.  So I'd have had an excellent round if not for the pop culture category, in which I missed three.

I had absolutely no idea for FJ, though.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Why does J! insist on pronouncing Don Juan as Don Jew-an?  Did Byron write out the phonetic pronunciation?

Every English Lit professor I had pronounced it that way because that is the accepted pronunciation of Byron's epic poem.  I was thrilled that Ken pronounced it correctly the first time he said it.  Not the second time, alas.

I had a very mediocre game.  Got FJ right away but only ran By The Book, and got all but 1 clue in Coffee Now (forgot about cherries), "W", and Vacation.

I did get 7 of the 14 stumpers/missed DD: decaf, fair trade, king snake, Whatchamacallit (I love those), worrywart, Treasure Island (does no one read that anymore?) and John Lennon.

I was kicking myself for say Azerbaijan instead of Armenia because I know damn well the capital of Azerbaijan is Baku.

We never called the back of the station wagon the "way, way back" so I guess it's regional or maybe just something from the movie.  We did, however, ride back there.  And in the back of pickup trucks, including one with no tail gate because the friend's father used it for their camper.  It's sort of amazing we survived our childhoods.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I did not know Tycho Brahe had a prosthetic nose, so I looked it up to find out more. I also did not know that prosthetic noses were actually A Thing in his day, in somewhat frequent demand (according to this article):

https://www.entandaudiologynews.com/features/ent-features/post/the-astronomer-s-nose-tycho-brahe-s-controversial-prosthesis

I knew about the prosthetic nose but not in so much detail.  Thanks for the article.

14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I doubt it.  That was more likely due to the 13 triple stumpers.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I learned it from multiple Lit professors in college.  So I'm going with it's correct.

• Like 6

Saying the full category name and please annoys me. 

Along with the ones who answer then just stand there. You got it, let's go.  Game isn't over 

Also one guy recently would start answering before his name was called that annoyed me too. 

Spit it out people there is a time limit. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Saying the full category name and please annoys me. 

Along with the ones who answer then just stand there. You got it, let's go.  Game isn't over 

Also one guy recently would start answering before his name was called that annoyed me too. 

Spit it out people there is a time limit. 

The full category name bugs me.  Saying please, less so.  But yeah, standing there trying to figure out what to select next is awful.  Just pick something.

(edited)

I thought the quote in the article cemented it, imo. The rhyme is not just with the last word on the line:

Mine's Johnson, and my comrade's Juan   
   The other two are women, and the third    
   Is neither man nor woman.' The chief threw on   
   The party a slight glance, then said, 'I have heard   
   Your name before, the second is a new one:....

I said "Don Juan" having absolutely no confidence, I didn't know about an unfinished poem, I absolutely hated my Romantic English Poets class and teacher. I just thought the character seemed like someone for whom being married and/or hell would be equal punishments. 😆

Otherwise an okay game for me.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who owned a British car dealership. I always got a kick out of hearing this Brit pronounce the name of one of the cars he sold: Jag-you-ar 😁.  Re: the pronunciation of Don Juan? IMO, it always sounded ignorant (hearing professors smugly pronouncing it as Ju-wan & they *loved* being asked about this pronunciation). 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I learned it from multiple Lit professors in college.  So I'm going with it's correct.

Maybe they learned it from Jeopardy…😉 Just kidding.

I am certainly no Don Juan scholar (I’ve never even read it), but after thinking about it, I’m guessing that was not just Byron, it was maybe just the common anglicized pronunciation of the name at the time. There are other examples of this happening, like “quicks-ot” for Quixote, and Shakespeare turning Jacques into “Jay-kwees”. Damn Brits.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did get 7 of the 14 stumpers/missed DD: decaf, fair trade, king snake, Whatchamacallit (I love those), worrywart, Treasure Island (does no one read that anymore?) and John Lennon.

We never called the back of the station wagon the "way, way back" so I guess it's regional or maybe just something from the movie.  We did, however, ride back there.  And in the back of pickup trucks, including one with no tail gate because the friend's father used it for their camper.  It's sort of amazing we survived our childhoods.

John Lennon?

I don't think we had a name for the back of a station wagon - we're talking about the bench seat that faced backwards, right? We had neighbors that had a station wagon and they'd take their kids and me (only child) out driving and us kids would sit there and look out the back - something that was oh so cool. Sometimes we would go out near O'Hare airport and watch the planes take off and land. This was in the 60's - don't know if that's even possible these days.

And yes it is amazing that we survived our childhood - no bike helmets, no seat belts (at least no mandatory ones) and kids sitting on laps in the back seats of cars.

• Like 8

Very good game today - definitely the best this week. Unlike the contestants- by my count 19 TSs and 2 missed DDs. Ai-yi-yi!

Did about the same in both rounds today. In the J round I ran "The Romaines of the Day" and got 4 in "Shakespeare" and "That Hollow Feeling".  In DJ I ran "State Demonyms" and got 4 in "Internally Yours". No real stinker categories, but I feel that there were about 8 more clues I should have gotten over the 2 rounds, but alas it was not to be.

And I got a ton of TSs/missed DDs - 7 in each round. In the J round I got bonds, Polonius, Greece, heart, Paavo Nurmi, dense/dents and cache/cash. In DJ my gets were Matterhorn (I've skied Zermatt where it is and it's not nearly as impressive from the Italian side), ileum (DD), Alfred Hitchcock, fennel, Knickerbocker (DD), nutmeggers and phlox.

As for FJ - it took me awhile to figure out what was wanted, but once I did I came up with the correct response. 1 + 5 + 10 + 50 + 100 + 500 + 1,000 = 1,666. Unfortunately I didn't get it in time so I can't count it. 😥

Only one more week of new games left. 😥

• Like 3
  • Love 1

That was a low scoring game - no wonder, if there were 19 ts's and 2 missed DDs.

I got some of them: loan/lone, Greece, cache/cash, Matterhorn, phlox, Vitus Bering, Kim Philby, and Hitchcock.

For FJ I knew what they meant right away but then I had to remember which letters are used (had a hard time coming up with D) so there was no time left to add it all up.

New champ is easy on the eyes.

• Like 5
  • Wink 2

I said 1166.  Forgot D for 500.

I got the missed clues of polonius, loan/lone, dents/dense, bond, Greece, heart, Matterhorn, Knickerbocker, Nutmegger, and Hitchcock.

I got the entire category of track and field wrong.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

July 21:

73% / 60% / 67%

Decent first round, not so great second…missed one in Israel, The Romaines of the Day, and Homophones, two in Shakespeare (reading a book about Shakespeare right now but it wasn't much help), and three in Track & Field. In DJ I missed one in Internally Yours, Motley Clues, and Stately Demonyms, two in Ends in X, three in Explorers and four in Old Hollywood Scribes.

I suck at Roman Numerals but I got FJ…I just added up the values I know correspond to numerals and didn't think about which letter is which (I always forget what's what past I, V, and X, but I know they are 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500, and 1000.

My TSes were loan/lone, dense/dents, cache/cash, bonds, Greece, Romaine heart, Matterhorn, Knickerbockers (DD), Nutmeggers, fennel, Broca's area, and Alfred Hitchcock (didn't actually know that one but it seemed a reasonable guess).

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

It took me too long to figure out what they wanted for FJ.  I ran out of time before I was able to do the math.  I did get it before the correct response was revealed, but the music had stopped, so I can't count it.

I did get the TS of Polonius, loan/lone, dents/dense, trust/trussed, heart, cash/cache, Matterhorn (after Mont Blanc was ruled out), phlox, ileum, and Hitchcock.

Ben reminded me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and the new champ reminds me of Josh Randall from the TV show, "Ed."  Neither of those is a bad thing.

• Like 5

I almost forgot the 100, said 1566 then remembered in time to get it right, so proud of myself because I suck at math! Also proud of myself for getting Nurmi, all those books I read about the Olympics finally paid off. Also got loan/lone, dents/dense, Polonius, Greece,  Matterhorn, Knickerbocker, and Hitchcock.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I think FJ today was incredibly easy with no time limit and a pencil/paper (or calculator). They even told you how many Roman numerals there were, so you knew if you had forgotten one.

Doing it within the time limit, in your head, (and for the contestants, with the pressure of being on stage during Final Jeopardy) was the hard part.

I got it juuuuuust in the nick of time.

• Like 5

I was a bit surprised no one guessed Greece.  Even more surprised no one guessed Hitchcock!  No one knowing heart in the romaine category also surprised me.  Same with the loan/lone and dense/dents TS.

I ran romaine and homophones and got all but one in Israel, track & field, and hollow.  I was nervous about Shakespeare, as I am so hit and miss on that subject, but I only missed two, so it was a decent first round.

And it was an excellent DJ!  I ran explorers (which was a pleasant surprise), internally, and motley clues, and got all but one each in the rest.

I got FJ easily, and spent the rest of the time thinking about how nerve-wracking it would be to do the math under game conditions.  Like another poster, I didn't think about the numerals, just which numbers are represented by Roman numerals, starting with 1000 and working down: 1000+500+100+50+10+5+1 wound up being easy to calculate, and I enjoyed the clue.

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Like another poster, I didn't think about the numerals, just which numbers are represented by Roman numerals, starting with 1000 and working down: 1000+500+100+50+10+5+1 wound up being easy to calculate, and I enjoyed the clue.

I liked it but I caught myself wasting time trying to remember which was L and which was D even though I knew it wouldn't make a difference to the arithmetic. I wrote out the letters,  confirmed I had 7 and that except for the 1,000 the other columns were each 5+1 = 6.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I don't think we had a name for the back of a station wagon - we're talking about the bench seat that faced backwards, right?

When I was young our family car had what we called a “way back”— not a bench, but an open storage compartment behind the back seat that was just big enough for a small child. That was my preferred spot for family trips, like a small private fort. I don’t know what a “way way back” is… maybe the same thing, but on a longer car. 

5 hours ago, chicagofan said:

And yes it is amazing that we survived our childhood - no bike helmets, no seat belts (at least no mandatory ones) and kids sitting on laps in the back seats of cars.

Or kids sitting on laps in the front seats. Yeah, those were crazy times.

Today’s TSs: dents/dense, cache/cash, hearts, Hitchcock, ileum.

FJ was a tag team effort. I knew immediately what they were looking for, and after groaning “oh no”, added up to 16. Hubby jumped in with +50 for 66. I added 100 for 166, while keeping track of the numbers used on my fingers. He added 500 for 666, we both said “plus 1000” for 1666, and my seven fingers said we were done.

It wasn’t hard math, but it was stressful in the time constraints. I assume I would have made it without a partner, but I’m glad I had one. Under the lights, I’m not so sure.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Or kids sitting on laps in the front seats. Yeah, those were crazy times.

Then there was the time in the '70's that we fit 8 teenagers (6 in the back seat and 2 in front) and a teacher (driving their car) into a Ford Maverick - sedan not truck - for a field trip for a class on Chicago. Don't remember if it was a 2 or 4 door. And I was more bendy back then.

It was a Catholic Higb School, but that sure wouldn't go over today with all the liability issues.

• Like 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Like another poster, I didn't think about the numerals, just which numbers are represented by Roman numerals, starting with 1000 and working down: 1000+500+100+50+10+5+1 wound up being easy to calculate, and I enjoyed the clue.

That's what I did, but I started from 1. 1+5+10+50=66 (that's has high as you can go with Chisanbop on this math problem), then +100=166, +500=666, +1000=1666 (then I counted the numbers to double check I had all seven).

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I did not know about the lungs having different lobe counts. A lot of the random info on the show doesn't seem that interesting to me, but I found that fascinating.

I didn't, either, (though I guessed correctly, because what paired organ is closest to the heart?) but then later I was watching a youtube video with a pulmonologist answering lung questions from twitter (Wired's "Tech Support" series) and one of them was about that, so I thought that was kinda funny.

2 hours ago, DaveA said:

Does anyone know why when some contestants are introduced they say "originally from.." and for other contestants just say "from..."?  

I wonder if a lot of contestants are relatively local to the LA area so they do it to make it seem more diverse? I know they were doing it a lot when they first came back to filming from covid shutdowns since they weren't using anyone that wasn't in driving distance for a while.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, DaveA said:

Does anyone know why when some contestants are introduced they say "originally from.." and for other contestants just say "from..."?  

Just a guess, but maybe it’s up to the contestant? Some people may have stronger ties to their previous hometown/ state, especially if they’ve recently moved. Or maybe just want to give a shout out to the place where grew up. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Then there was the time in the '70's that we fit 8 teenagers (6 in the back seat and 2 in front) and a teacher (driving their car) into a Ford Maverick - sedan not truck - for a field trip for a class on Chicago. Don't remember if it was a 2 or 4 door. And I was more bendy back then.

It was a Catholic Higb School, but that sure wouldn't go over today with all the liability issues.

When I was in high school, on senior ditch day, we crammed 5 people (including the very large driver) into a Honda 600. We drove to the mountains (Sierra Nevadas) and hung out at some hidden pond for a day.

image.png.d2cce4543ae421b134252b94d3be811e.png

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ugh, Jeopardy! I was told there wouldn’t be math!

I couldn't have done it even with time - Roman Numerals are Greek to me.

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

later I was watching a youtube video with a pulmonologist answering lung questions from twitter (Wired's "Tech Support" series) and one of them was about that

I'll have to check that out!

I also reasoned that it had to be the lungs. Not a lot of organs have lobes, are paired, and are close to the heart! 

• Like 2
(edited)
38 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was going to ask which one talked about lung lobes! It's not quite obvious just from the titles I looked at!

Here's the lung doctor:

(It's just one of several questions he answers.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don't think we had a name for the back of a station wagon - we're talking about the bench seat that faced backwards, right

My SIL had a Volvo wagon that had the rear facing third row bench seat,  but there were no seat belts.  They called it the Bag o'Glass (copyright SNL) seat because it was not safe and of course the kids always wanted to sit there

• Like 4