Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Part II

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

This is the episode topic for the second episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to deep dive on the Star Wars universe, please head to this topic. Posts that are completely off topic from the episode may be removed. Thank you!

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, arc said:

This is the same guy who decided to hide on Tatooine with a new first name and his original surname, and he even wore traditional Jedi robes in ANH!!! (Again, the show is constrained by dumb issues in the lore from the prequels and/or original trilogy.)

This has bothered me since the prequels. He hid Luke on Tatooine by leaving him with Anakin's stepbrother on Anakin's home planet, keeping his father's last name, and then he disguised himself by changing his first name while keeping his last name and wearing his Jedi uniform. Some of this they were stuck with because it was the situation in the first movie (before Lucas came up with all the mythology), but they didn't do a great job of the backstory that led to the situation. I don't think Luke's father's name was given in the original film, so "Skywalker" could have been an alias. Old Ben's clothes in the first movie looked like desert dweller attire (and I'm sure that was the thought behind the original costume design), so they shouldn't have made that the Jedi uniform that all Jedi wore. It's good to see in this series that he isn't "hiding" while running around in Jedi robes. In the novelization of Return of the Jedi, when Force ghost Obi-Wan is explaining Darth Vader being Luke's father (I think the first time Vader's real name was given), he actually says that Owen was his brother. I remember being jolted when young Owen showed up in the prequels and was Anakin's stepbrother, went home from the theater and checked the book, then watched that scene in the movie. It is in the book, but not in the movie, so Lucas must have changed his mind between the time the novelist got the screenplay to work from and the time the movie was edited. That would have made more sense, if "Kenobi" was a name Obi-Wan took when he became a Jedi and put his past behind him, and he was originally Ben Lars, so there would be no reason for Anakin to find Luke on Tatooine. I don't think there was any indication in the original movies that Anakin was originally from Tatooine. There was a lot that could have been fixed in the other movies (or not made worse in the prequels) with better backstory setup. The logical way to hide Luke would have been for Obi-Wan to pretend he was his son, give both of them new names, and then go to a world where they had no connections at all. Then he could have brought Luke up with proper training. They needed to show a good reason why he didn't do that.

The revelation that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead all this time does help some, since it means he had no expectation of Anakin hearing about a kid named Skywalker at his stepbrother's place, and I guess even if he'd known, he might have thought that Darth I-Hate-Sand would never go to Tatooine again, but still, the kid they're trying to protect is at a place that has ties to his origins during a time when there are people out hunting Jedi, and Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother is suddenly bringing up a nephew. You'd think Third Sister would have been thorough enough to at least do a search and explore what was up with her boss's connections while searching for Obi-Wan.

They'd have still been stuck with "Ben Kenobi" as an alias but maybe that's "Smith" in their universe, and they could have run into a lot of other Kenobis who were no relation to explain why no one thought anything of that.

There's a meme of the scene where Leia comforts Luke about Obi-Wan's death on the Falcon as they're escaping from the Death Star, mentioning that she's just lost her entire planet and endured torture, but she's comforting the guy who's lost the mentor he's known for about five minutes. Now we know it's even worse. Depending on how long it took them to get from Owen's farm to Mos Eisley and then from Tatooine to the former position of Alderaan, it's looking like Leia may have spent more time with Obi-Wan than Luke ever did (depending on how long it takes him to get her home and whether he sees her again after that). So she's comforting him when she would also be mourning Obi-Wan.

I have to say, I'm loving the series so far, and it helps for me to have the reassurance of knowing that the major good guys will survive this series. I can't handle that much tension these days, and it was easier to watch knowing that Obi-Wan lives about ten more years and that Leia lives to grow old.

• Love 14
On 5/27/2022 at 2:58 PM, RedElf said:

Leia's not wrong, it would have been easier with an army.

Leia being snarky to the person rescuing her is adorable. 

On 5/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, ybrik said:

Okay overall really enjoyed the episode. Liked seeing Obi-Wan and Leia spending time together. I wasn’t as bothered with how Leia acted. First she apparently isn’t the most gracious person to rescue now or in the future. Also I don’t think she has control of her insight so she may sense that Obi-Wan is lying/hiding something from her but isn’t able to discern that from being able to trust him or not.                                                                                                                                                                 

I was trying to find a way to say this exact thing. Thank you for expressing the thought. I agree. Leia can sense things, but she isn't always right and it isn't always accurate, because she's ten and had a rather sheltered life. 

8 hours ago, raven said:

Obi-Wan using the Force would be like firing up the Bat Signal - over here!!!  As long as Leia doesn't know who she is, she is presumably safe.  The Emperor has been hunting Jedi for a decade.  Though the Organas are a prominent family and they have (crappy) guards, there is no one who can use the Force protecting Leia; the best plan is to not draw any attention to her.   Anakin doesn't know he fathered a daughter until he senses it from Luke, a decade or so from now. 

What does Anakin/Vader know at this point? He knows his wife died in childbirth, doesn't he? He knows he has a son, but has no clue that he has a daughter? Why would each kid need someone who can use the force protecting them? Is the idea no one is protecting Luke from danger, so Obi-Wan, in an absolute emergency, could use the force to protect Luke, but Leia will be okay because she has guards (in theory) protecting her from harm? 

Overall, I liked the episode. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

What does Anakin/Vader know at this point? He knows his wife died in childbirth, doesn't he? He knows he has a son, but has no clue that he has a daughter?

I don't think he knows she gave birth before she died. The baby bump was visible at her funeral, so I think they faked that she was still pregnant (true, in real life the baby bump doesn't go away at the moment of birth, but in the movie they zoomed in on that and it was quite obvious, so I think the impression we were supposed to get was that she still looked pregnant after death) so no one would look for the babies. As I recall, the novelization mentions this. I don't think he knew he had a son. He was looking for Luke in The Empire Strikes Back, so I think the first he learned he had a son was when Luke became famous for blowing up the Death Star. Which is yet another reason it was dumb to give Luke his father's last name. If he'd known before, it seems like he would have gone after him sooner, given that his plan was for his son to join him in defeating the Emperor. Get him before he learned anything from anyone else or got sucked into the Rebellion.

41 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Why would each kid need someone who can use the force protecting them? Is the idea no one is protecting Luke from danger, so Obi-Wan, in an absolute emergency, could use the force to protect Luke, but Leia will be okay because she has guards (in theory) protecting her from harm? 

I'm not sure how much Obi-Wan is there to protect Luke and how much he just can't let go of all he has left of Anakin, and Tatooine's an easier place to hide out and watch one of the kids than Alderaan would have been. It would have been difficult for him to lurk and remain hidden while watching a princess of Alderaan grow up. On Tatooine, he can live in a cave in the desert and watch Luke from afar. Yeah, if there's a threat, he can step in, but the impression I get is that he's there more for his own benefit. He doesn't have anywhere else to go, so he might as well hide out near the closest thing he has to family.

• Love 14

So glad this episode gave a quick explanation to what The Inquisitors are for those of us who haven't watched the animated shows. And after finding Leia adorable in Episode 1 by the end of this episode I was finding her annoying and I'm hoping Obi-Wan dumps her on Alderaan and we don't have to deal with her long periods of time. I found it laughable that all those that were chasing Leia could not run faster than a 10 year old who appears to not be the fastest runner in the world.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I found it laughable that all those that were chasing Leia could not run faster than a 10 year old who appears to not be the fastest runner in the world.

Is every blaster in the galaxy made with only a KILL setting?? No genius figured out that STUN could be a useful add-on for kidnapping?

1 hour ago, paigow said:

Is every blaster in the galaxy made with only a KILL setting?? No genius figured out that STUN could be a useful add-on for kidnapping?

In ANH Leia is stunned by stormtrooper, so someone figured it out. One would expect that bounty hunters would have several weapons/gadgets to stun their opponent in case that bounty would be for "bring alive".

• Love 3

Really liking this series, much more than the disappointing Boba Fett.  I obviously have watched all of the theatrical Star Wars movies, but I have never followed any of the other books/graphic novels/animated series/etc.  So I have a little trouble with timeline and knowing where this all fits into the grand scheme of things.  Leia is supposed to be 10 we know, but to me, she looks and acts younger than 10.  Seems small for 10.  Also, if Kenobi is supposed to be training Luke in less than 10 years, how does he go from looking like maybe he's in his 40s/early 50s to a more frail white haired Alec Guiness in that time?  Doesn't really fit.  I know that these new series are constrained by the storylines already told decades ago, and it's quite amazing that they can interweave all of the plot points into the new movies/series.  So some things we just have to let go.

If Reva could Force read the charlatan's mind to figure out where Ben and Leia would be going, why didn't she just do that with Owen in the town?  I guess she had no reason to suspect that he knew Obi Wan?

Can't wait for Obi Wan to finally wield the blue lightsaber!  That will be something indeed!

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

If Reva could Force read the charlatan's mind to figure out where Ben and Leia would be going, why didn't she just do that with Owen in the town?  I guess she had no reason to suspect that he knew Obi Wan?

I suspect this might be partly related to Owen being in public around a lot of other people, and Haja being alone in an alley. I doubt that all Inquisitors have that ability (and I don't think all Jedi did either), so she might not want her co-workers to know she can do that. So maybe she uses it sparingly and in places where she isn't seen. If Haja says anything about it, who would believe him?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Also, if Kenobi is supposed to be training Luke in less than 10 years, how does he go from looking like maybe he's in his 40s/early 50s to a more frail white haired Alec Guiness in that time?

People often age quickly from late 40s onwards, and that’s not even factoring in the twin suns of Tatooine putting out so much ultraviolet light. Obi-wan isn’t even bathing regularly, so there’s no chance he’s using sunscreen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, arc said:

People often age quickly from late 40s onwards, and that’s not even factoring in the twin suns of Tatooine putting out so much ultraviolet light. Obi-wan isn’t even bathing regularly, so there’s no chance he’s using sunscreen.

Maybe all the synthetic stew has additives that accelerate aging

• Love 3
4 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Also, if Kenobi is supposed to be training Luke in less than 10 years, how does he go from looking like maybe he's in his 40s/early 50s to a more frail white haired Alec Guiness in that time?  Doesn't really fit.

They’d have to cast someone much older than Obi-Wan is supposed to be to have it look right. Alec Guinness was only 58 in the first movie. Technically Ewan is playing 3 years younger than his real age in this series. 

4 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Leia is supposed to be 10 we know, but to me, she looks and acts younger than 10.  Seems small for 10.

The actress is 10. 

19 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

So glad this episode gave a quick explanation to what The Inquisitors are for those of us who haven't watched the animated shows. And after finding Leia adorable in Episode 1 by the end of this episode I was finding her annoying and I'm hoping Obi-Wan dumps her on Alderaan and we don't have to deal with her long periods of time. I found it laughable that all those that were chasing Leia could not run faster than a 10 year old who appears to not be the fastest runner in the world.

She's no Baby Yoda in the adorableness department.  Watching her run I kept imagining some assistant director calling out "not too fast honey!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm a big fan of Clone Wars and Rebels, but I don't really need to see the ins and outs of the Inquisitors beyond that they hunt jedi, and Kenobi is probably the biggest fish out there. Their politicking isn't particularly interesting to me. I mean, I know they have the force (ha) of the Empire behind them, and Kenobi needs to keep a low profile, but he should be eating their lunch. There's also the self-confidence. 

I'm surprised anyone actually knows that Vader is Skywalker. Vader clearly said 'Anakin Skywalker is dead.' And 'I have found the padawan of Anakin Skywalker'. I can't imagine he wouldn't choke a bitch for saying it. She has to have known him before the suit. 

All that said, I'm enjoying the show. The snippy inquisitors can be dialed back.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:44 PM, Sarah 103 said:

He knows he has a son, but has no clue that he has a daughter?

tbh, I don't think Vader knows he has a son yet. I don't read the comics, but I thought in the Vader series is when he found out, but I think that might have been after Yavin. 

iirc Kenobi's saber was also white in A New Hope too. Only Ahsoka's are, and that's not for a while. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 2:25 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Ten year old Leia is cuter than a bug's ear. Also a world-class brat.

VLB is a pretty good actress for someone so young.

Her line reading of "This would be easier with the army" was brilliant -- Episode IV Princess Leia through and through. Carrie Fisher would cackle with glee, I daresay.

Edited by Sandman
I knew I should have just said SW !
  • Love 7
(edited)

Reva is not very scary or intimidating. The actor’s body language is too neutral. It makes her sound silly.

Way too much kid stuff. I had hoped we would have an adult Star Wars story finally, but I guess Disney can’t help itself. It screwed up Mandalorian with baby Yoda, and Boba Fett with pretty much everything. Now instead of Obi-Wan’s story we get kiddie chases. I don’t recall kids being part of the commercials for Obi-Wan. 

Edited by Ottis
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm a big fan of Clone Wars and Rebels, but I don't really need to see the ins and outs of the Inquisitors beyond that they hunt jedi, and Kenobi is probably the biggest fish out there.

Yep I agree. As someone whose knowledge of this Universe's time period is literally end of Sith jump to Rougue One (with a slight detour of nothingness with Solo) all I needed to know was that the Inquisitors are Jedi that defected to the Dark Side (basically) and that's all I need to go forward with them. My only issue with this episode is the concept that Leia or Obi-Wan were in any kind of mortal danger cause I knew they had to survive to make it to ANH. I think that's why I was more worried about that other Jedi hiding on Tatooine surviving in Episode 1 than anything that happened in Episode 2.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Leia and Obi Wan together. She was giving him a run for his money. I love his remark on how she reminded him of someone. She didn't trust him because she sensed he was hiding something from her. Which he was. She figured it out what it was after seeing the warrant or whatever that was that she was kidnapped and they were being chased because of him. She still has a lot she needs to learn. I am surprised she didn't ask him how he knew her father but Obi Wan should have at least tried to tell her that they knew each other during the Clone Wars or something. I know they were in hurry but she never saw him before and her father apparently never talked to her about Obi Wan. I like when he asked about Lola and started to bond. I like the dust came in handy and the drugged kidnappers.

I wonder how Reva knows Vader is Anakin. That doesn't seem like something he'd be telling people. I wonder if she blames Obi Wan for the Jedi purge or something else. She is smart to get all the bounty hunters on Obi Wan too. The Grand Inquisitor doesn't seem all that smart. 

I liked the fake Jedi. He was funny and did end up helping which was a surprise. He could have just taken off. I'm surprised Reva didn't kill him. 

Obi Wan's reaction to learning Anakin/Vader was alive was really good.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5

You know what I like about Baby Yoda? He doesn't talk. I am not a fan of precocious child actors, and Little Action Leia worked my last nerve. 

I know that Obi-Wan's needs to dust off his old Jedi tricks, but did he forget his common sense too? Bro, your hologram is everywhere maybe don't run around without your hood. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ZeeEnnui said:

You know what I like about Baby Yoda? He doesn't talk. I am not a fan of precocious child actors, and Little Action Leia worked my last nerve.

My reaction is kind of the obverse of yours, I guess -- for whatever it's worth. I'd rather watch a talented child play even a slightly bratty kid than a cutesy prosthetic. Grogu's babbling got old fast.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I wonder how Reva knows Vader is Anakin. That doesn't seem like something he'd be telling people. I wonder if she blames Obi Wan for the Jedi purge or something else. She is smart to get all the bounty hunters on Obi Wan too. The Grand Inquisitor doesn't seem all that smart. 

Her plan to lure Obi-Wan was good except for last part where she expected that 3 bounty hunters will capture Jedi Master and will hold him till she arrives. Obi-Wan didn't use Force/lightsaber for long time but that's something she didn't know and Obi-Wan still was able to free Leia without much issues(till she ran of).

For me Reva is kind of meh with her over agressive personality, maybe when we get her backstory, it will change for me as we will know why she is this way. Overall I liked both episodes.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ottis said:

Reva is not very scary or intimidating. The actor’s body language is too neutral. It makes her sound silly.

She skipped all of the Sith Team Building exercises...

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Sandman said:

Her line reading of "This would be easier with the army" was brilliant -- Episode IV Princess Leia through and through. Carrie Fisher would cackle with glee, I daresay.

Oh man. Now I’m sad she isn’t here to see it. 😭

• Love 4

I enjoyed the first two episodes, but Ewan did a lot of the heavy lifting to make things work. I find the Leia actress rather bad, but at least the way she's written as so spirited helps to make up for some it.

I had to roll my eyes at both "chase" scenes, where a child whose legs look 10 inches long is outracing multiple agile adults.

I almost rolled my eyes at the Darth Vader breathing sound effect when he was fully submerged in bacta fluid, but it's such a cool and iconic sound that I let it go. See, I can enjoy things.

Is there an explanation in another Star Wars property that explains how Leia's mother (Breha?) is still alive at this point, when Leia explained in RotJ that her (very sad) mother died when Leia was very young?

• Love 1
(edited)

Like most here, I find the chase scenes really bad; Leia runs as fast as a toddler yet no one can catch her? At one point, Obi-Wan was walking through the market in pursuit of Leia because if he picked up the pace he would've caught her and that would have put an end to the "chase". The only advantage Leia's small size gives her is that she can slide under tree branches and tables whereas the adults have to go around. I hope we're done with Leia running away from adults because it just looks silly.

And where did Reva go on the rooftops? It looked like she was gaining on Obi-Wan but once he stopped to catch Leia, Reva just disappeared. Obi-Wan had time to catch Leia, climb down to the alley, and walk out of the alley with Leia, yet Reva was just gone. Huh? That was dumb too.

But other than those complaints, I'm still loving this series. Ewan continues to be perfect as Obi-Wan. He's great with the little actress playing Leia, loved his scenes with the fraudster posing as a Jedi, and absolutely loved his stunned reaction at the news that Anakin is alive and hunting him. And not only does Obi-Wan know that Vader is out for his blood, he must also contend with the possibility that Vader may discover the existence of the twins - one of whom is currently traveling with Obi-Wan. I'd say Obi-Wan needs to get in tune with the Force ASAP.

2 hours ago, Abra said:

Is there an explanation in another Star Wars property that explains how Leia's mother (Breha?) is still alive at this point, when Leia explained in RotJ that her (very sad) mother died when Leia was very young?

Leia wasn't referring to Breha but to her "real mother" (as Luke phrased it) when she remembered her being sad. I assume Breha died when Alderaan blew up. It will always be a mystery to me how Leia had any memory of Padme when she (Padme) died shortly after giving birth. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 2
On 5/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, rtms77 said:

baffled that Organa was all, "your my only hope Obi Wan", when he has Ahsoka working the operations/intelligence side of the Rebellion and could have gone to her for help.

Ahsoka is "dead" by the time of ANH, Kaden is dead and Ezra is lost to space. 

(edited)

Obi-Wan's age...Alec Guiness was 62 when he filmed ANH on 1976 (movie being released in 77). In the first draft of TPM, Obi-Wan is 30 year old Jedi Knight and that would have lined him up perfectly with the Obi-Wan we saw in ANH. George Lucas decided that he wanted Obi-Wan to be a 25 year old Jedi apprentice, meaning that the Obi-Wan we saw in ANH is 57. In universe, I imagine living close to two decades on a desert world with two suns as well as a heavy burden and grief would age a person considerably.

Real world explanation, people just looked older back in Alec Guinesses's time. I don't know about him but people drank and smoked a lot and didn't exercise the way they do now. A guy like Alec Guiness also served with distinction in WW2 so that could probably add a few years to a person. 62 looked a lot older then. Harrison Ford is almost 80 now and he doesn't look as old as Alec did.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, paigow said:

She skipped all of the Sith Team Building exercises...

Plus she kills her teammates. That said, whether in a team or alone, she is more blustering than threatening. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

I’m enjoying the series so far and signed up for Disney plus, specifically to watch this (oh, and Hamilton!) but I’m not loving Little Leía like I hoped I would. I have found this for most of Lucas’ younger role casting in general, including Natalie Portman though. 
She looks the part, if the part we’re five years old, but watching her run like a toddler and evade grown men, one, a Jedi, who even had his hand on her arm and she still managed to lose him, took me out of the scenes and felt comedic like something you’d see on Disney Kids. 
Many of her lines sounded like recitation and very inorganic like she was having to rush through them to make sure she got it. It’s not going to ruin the series for me but it does detract from the scenes to me. Obviously my mileage varied from just about everyone though. 

Reva feels like a caricature at this point and I hope there is more flushing out her character so it doesn’t feel she’s like just a gun for hire. I think there will be, so I’m not too worried about it. I loved her in Queen’s Gambit.

I’m here for Ben/Obiwan Kenobi and the Anakin dunk tank scene. Ewan Macgregor is masterful in this role. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes.   But I went into it knowing that:

A: Nothing seriously bad was going to happen to Obi Wan.

B:  Nothing seriously bad was going to happen to Luke, Leia, Owen, Beru, the Organas until a New Hope.

• Love 4
(edited)

I guess Obi-Wan not knowing that Anakin/Vader was alive does better explain why he would leave the kids in such obvious places where anyone who knew about them could find them. When did Vader find out about the kids anyway? Gee, could one be with Anakin's last surviving family on his home planet. and the other be with a prominent politician who was their mothers long time friend? Of course, that just raises questions about why the Empire never bothered finding either of the twins, and its still possible they just never bothered to put two and two together. See, this is why the Empire only lasted a few decades before it fell apart, no foresight. 

I continue to really love the show, Obi-Wan and Leia are adorable and kid Leia continues to really channel that adult Leia sass, I can totally see her growing into the Leia we all know and love. Seeing her and Obi-Wan bonding is really sweet and it does certainly explain more about why Leia would have named her son after him, even if that kid would eventually reject that name in exchange for emo bangs. It makes his death later even sadder, Leia not only lost her home and family but also someone who saved her life years ago. 

The scene where Obi-Wan sees the clone trooper was the most memorable scenes for me, its so sad to see what has happened to the clones, everything about them is so depressing. None of what happened was their fault, they were used and thrown away like trash when they weren't useful to the Empire anymore. Did he recognize Obi-Wan? His expression while giving the homeless clone money was a great bit, so many emotions on his face. 

I enjoyed Kumail Nanjiani as the fake Jedi who is also a Jedi fanboy, even if we don't see him again he was fun for an episode, he surprisingly fit into the Star Wars universe pretty well. 

I so did not expect to see Vader this early on, shits about to get real!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Again, it's very easy to explain Leia being adopted. The Clone Wars left countless orphans and Leia was one of them. Why Palpatine or Vader didn't notice either a resemblance or sense the Force in her is another. 

I've always felt that Vader would never go to Tatooine willingly. The memories there are too painful. Not changing Luke's last name is ridiculous. Plus, I don't think he ever would have expected Obi-Wan to hide his kid I. Such an obvious place.

• Love 3
On 5/28/2022 at 3:39 AM, arc said:

Force parkour is dope, but it does highlight how clumsy a full length cape is.

That is so funny - when she was doing that I said to my husband in Edna Mode voice "no capes!"

Love Baby Leia and Tough Uncle Owen. Star Wars timeline stuff makes my eye twitch, so I'm just going with all of it and the eye candy that is Ewan McGregor. Seriously, the older he gets, the hotter he is......

Other things I liked: Obi-Wan struuuuuggling big time to use the force. I guess it's just like riding a bike? Obi-Wan watching Luke playing and pretending to race on the back of the building then his anonymous gift. Lovely foreshadowing and so perfectly 10 yo boy - had to remind Obi-Wan of Anakin. Obi-Wan bonding with little Leia. Him buying her the cape and then the gloves because she wanted them. The last shot of Darth Vader in the tank. Kumail Nanjiani - if they keep him as the Peli Motto of this show I will be fine with that.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Kumail Nanjiani - if they keep him as the Peli Motto of this show I will be fine with that.

That was my thought too--I'd be down for Haja Estree being Obi-Wan's Peli Motto! He was a fun character with an intriguing story.

Clearly I need to add to my statement from the Part I thread: Leia frickin' Organa. Giving captors (AND would-be rescuers) what for since day one. Leia was all, "Aren't you a little old and sad to be a Jedi?" to Obi-Wan. Loved their interactions throughout the episode, especially Obi-Wan giving in to buy her the gloves, saving her with the Force, and "You remind me of someone."

I chuckled when Obi-Wan kept hurting his own hand during that fight in the hallway. At first, I thought it was just to show how out-of-practice he was, but then I realized it was because he can't rely on any of his Jedi moves when he's flying under the radar, and people who use light sabers and the Force aren't used to throwing punches.

Obi-Wan's reaction to finding out Anakin was still alive HURT. I swear, this show is coming for my emotions.

• Love 11
On 5/30/2022 at 12:26 AM, Ottis said:

I find her pretty scary, actually. I think the body language suggests discipline, but her attitude still strikes me as rage with a side of personal betrayal. Her position as "Third Sister" seems ironic; if it's a family dynamic, it's one full of snide backstabbing and undercutting. If anything, the Grand Inquisitor seems less effective than she. He's good at making spooky pronouncements, but not so much at achieving results, it would seem.

• Love 5
On 6/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, Sandman said:

I find her pretty scary, actually. I think the body language suggests discipline, but her attitude still strikes me as rage with a side of personal betrayal. Her position as "Third Sister" seems ironic; if it's a family dynamic, it's one full of snide backstabbing and undercutting. If anything, the Grand Inquisitor seems less effective than she. He's good at making spooky pronouncements, but not so much at achieving results, it would seem.

So do I. Her rage and also she had pretty smart plan for drawing Obi Wan out. And yeah the Grand Inquisitor isn't really good at his job. He's not even cutthroat. How did he get it? 

I begin to suspect that the title "Grand" only occurs ironically in the Star Wars universe. Grand Moff Tarkin, Grand Inquisitor -- not that good at their jobs, really. (Though Peter Cushing could be genuinely terrifying in the role.) If a Grand Poobah appears, we know she or he will be basically useless.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:28 AM, benteen said:

Not changing Luke's last name is ridiculous. Plus, I don't think he ever would have expected Obi-Wan to hide his kid I. Such an obvious place.

This was always the biggest "WTF?" of the prequel trilogy for me.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:25 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, let’s not forget how snotty she was to Han and Luke when they first met in ANH. In fairness, their rescue was not the most well-thought out one either.

If I were an extremely high ranking politician who’d been taken hostage during an international mission, I would be expecting the galactic equivalent of a CIA stealth retrieval or a Navy SEALS mission to come rescue me, not a small town yokel and his sketchy Uber driver. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, paigow said:

arrogant but roguishly handsome

And, let us not forget, braver than she first thought (even if based solely on the obvious decrepitude of the hyperspace Uber ride).

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/31/2022 at 11:28 AM, benteen said:

I've always felt that Vader would never go to Tatooine willingly. The memories there are too painful. Not changing Luke's last name is ridiculous. Plus, I don't think he ever would have expected Obi-Wan to hide his kid I. Such an obvious place.

Plus no one in Star Wars really ever notices anything. As much as people talk about how Vader never noticed his son was living where he used to live and using his last name it doesn't seem that far fetched. Because this is also a galaxy where Yoda and the Jedi council were always talking about how they sense this and sense that and can read people's emotions and see the future. But not one of them ever sensed even a tiny bit that the Emperor was the most evil person ever.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 5/31/2022 at 10:28 AM, benteen said:

I think the real issue is with the Inquisitors not having noticed. Darth I-Hate-Sand probably wouldn't take another look at his homeworld and doesn't care what the stepbrother he met maybe once is up to, so he might not have noticed that his stepbrother was raising a nephew named Skywalker, but the Inquisitors have apparently tried everything to find Obi-Wan, and yet they don't seem to be taking the rather obvious approach of researching his personal contacts. The person he was closest to was Anakin Skywalker, so it would make sense to track down any connections through him, which should have led them to Owen, where they would have found that he was raising a nephew named Skywalker. True, if you don't know about the twins, there wouldn't seem to be much reason for Obi-Wan to be in touch with Owen, but it's been ten years with no success, so they might as well backtrack down every possible avenue. Obi-Wan met Anakin on Tatooine, so a grieving Obi-Wan who'd thought he'd killed Anakin might have gone to whatever family he had left. It's particularly weird that the Inquisitors went to Tatooine and never even thought to make that side trip. They ran into Owen by chance in town, seemingly with no idea who he was, rather than heading out to check on Anakin's nearest relatives for any possible link to Obi-Wan while they were there.

I think Lucas wrote himself into a corner with what he established in the first movie, that Luke Skywalker was living with his uncle Owen Lars and Obi-Wan Kenobi was hiding out nearby, having only changed his first name to Ben. It got more complicated the more backstory that got added to it. There might have been a way to make it all make sense and work, but the route he took was not it. Really, it was sketchy even in the first film. If Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker had actually been two different people and if Darth Vader had betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker, then it was even dumber to "hide" Luke without changing his name with the murderer still being out there. It works maybe a little better in that case if (as was the original canon) Owen was Obi-Wan's brother, so Vader wouldn't have known to look for Luke there (especially if we're going with the idea that the Jedi cut all ties with their past, so Anakin would never have known anything about Obi-Wan's birth family or his pre-Jedi name).

• Like 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think the real issue is with the Inquisitors not having noticed. Darth I-Hate-Sand probably wouldn't take another look at his homeworld and doesn't care what the stepbrother he met maybe once is up to, so he might not have noticed that his stepbrother was raising a nephew named Skywalker, but the Inquisitors have apparently tried everything to find Obi-Wan, and yet they don't seem to be taking the rather obvious approach of researching his personal contacts. The person he was closest to was Anakin Skywalker, so it would make sense to track down any connections through him, which should have led them to Owen, where they would have found that he was raising a nephew named Skywalker.

Why? Obi-Wan had no personal contacts on Tatooine before Luke was born. Anakin met his stepbrother once and as far as anyone would have known Obi-Wan never met Owen. Obi-Wan barely even interacted with anyone on Tatooine during Phantom Menace. The only reason Obi-Wan is there at all is because of Luke. Without knowledge that Anakin’s children are alive there is no reason to think Obi-Wan would decide to live there. If Shmi was still alive I could see Obi-Wan going to see her but with her dead Anakin had no ties to Tatooine. He and Owen are only family in the most technical sense. 

59 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think Lucas wrote himself into a corner with what he established in the first movie, that Luke Skywalker was living with his uncle Owen Lars and Obi-Wan Kenobi was hiding out nearby, having only changed his first name to Ben.

I doubt that Owen is calling Luke "Skywalker" now.   I think it's something Luke starts using as a teen or young adult, as an act of rebellion or whatever.  Owen at this point thinks Anakin is dead (because Obi-Wan believes it when the show starts).   I doubt Owen ever finds out any differently, so in a a few years, he doesn't have a huge issue with Luke calling himself by his father's name.  

Obi-Wan isn't using "Kenobi" in this show; he's using "Ben".   In Star Wars, the convos with Luke and Owen include "Kenobi" because Leia says it; I doubt there is much conversation using that name outside of their household.   We know Obi-Wan will go into seclusion and probably encourages the crazy hermit theory, aided by Owen.

I just don't find the name thing to be that inexplicable, TBH.  ITA that Lucas wasn't thinking ahead with all of this stuff but I find that in this show, they are doing a good job of working around it.    Kenobi would not leave Luke except to help Leia; he won't use his Jedi expertise on Tatooine to avoid drawing attention to himself; so let's get him off planet and into the action; also makes it more plausible that Vader never realizes he has a son  who is on Tatooine or that he has a daughter.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Why? Obi-Wan had no personal contacts on Tatooine before Luke was born. Anakin met his stepbrother once and as far as anyone would have known Obi-Wan never met Owen. Obi-Wan barely even interacted with anyone on Tatooine during Phantom Menace.

They've been looking for Obi-Wan with no luck for 10 years, so why not track back through all his contacts? Look up Mace Windu's family, see if Qui-Gon has any living relatives Obi-Wan might have known about, look up Anakin's connections. Then interview them. Has this man come to see you? Have you heard from him? Maybe to notify you that your stepbrother was killed or put up some kind of monument to him next to his mother's grave? (They seem to know that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead.) You haven't tried everything until you've actually tried everything. At least that would be somewhat more systematic than just randomly searching the galaxy or showing up whenever there's a rumor of someone who's acted kind of like a Jedi. They pride themselves on being thorough.

1 hour ago, raven said:

I doubt that Owen is calling Luke "Skywalker" now.   I think it's something Luke starts using as a teen or young adult, as an act of rebellion or whatever.

How would he learn that his name is "Skywalker" unless Owen tells him? Unless, I suppose, Obi-Wan manages to get near him at some point and tells him. Which would be dumb because the Skywalker Drama Gene would mean he'd start using the name openly and defiantly.

1 hour ago, raven said:

Obi-Wan isn't using "Kenobi" in this show; he's using "Ben".   In Star Wars, the convos with Luke and Owen include "Kenobi" because Leia says it;

But Luke picks up on the "Kenobi" part and wonders if she means old Ben Kenobi the first time he hears the message, before he meets Leia, so even someone who only vaguely knows about that old hermit knows his last name and is able to put two and two together, and that means that at some point, "Ben" starts using his last name. Unless maybe Owen slips in talking about him and Luke overhears.

17 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Because this is also a galaxy where Yoda and the Jedi council were always talking about how they sense this and sense that and can read people's emotions and see the future. But not one of them ever sensed even a tiny bit that the Emperor was evil.

The other (possibly even bigger) WTF in the Star Wars universe. Apparently, the Jedi are so enlightened that they've moved beyond critical thinking, or strategy of any kind. Well, at least they're big on repressing emotion, because that's so healthy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

How would he learn that his name is "Skywalker" unless Owen tells him?

I do think Owen is the one who tells him; Luke, having questions about his dead father (and hopefully his mother) would ask.  Owen doesn't have to be calling him "Luke Skywalker" now as a child for Luke to get that name later.  Years pass with no action from the Empire, Owen believes Anakin to be dead and Luke wants to know what his "real" name is; or Luke finds out from Obi-Wan (further cementing Owen's dislike) or some other means.   That's not such a stretch for me.   I do think it's Owen as I believe Obi-Wan will have minimal to no contact with Luke until the Leia message, both out of respect for the wishes of the Lars family and to help protect Luke.  Obi-Wan's current adventures will probably show him that using the Force even minimally to train Luke now will only bring unwanted attention.  Of course the close call with Vader and the possibility of exposing the children will make him even more wary.  That's just my theory. 

Similar with Kenobi, though a bit more convoluted.   Owen tells Luke to stay away from that crazy hermit, Ben Kenobi.    Owen doesn't like Obi-Wan, but as shown in this series, Owen isn't a monster who'll turn him in.   He just doesn't want him involved with Luke's life.   Most of Luke's life is spent on the farm - when we meet him, he's just barely 19 or 20.  Any time spent hanging with his friends is probably spent daydreaming and complaining about Tatooine, not talking about the hermit who lives in the desert.     Wasting time, as Uncle Owen would say.  We also don't know when Luke becomes aware that there's a hermit in the desert.  As a child, as a teen? We don't know yet.

It's only Reva's determination, fueled by Vader's obsession, that is driving the search for Obi-Wan now.  Until he pops up to rescue Leia, the other Inquisitors don't believe he's alive.  They're on Tatoointe looking for that other Jedi and don't even realize Obi-Wan is there.   In a decade, Vader will be fully immersed in the Empire and the Dark Side and no one cares about Kenobi anymore.  Tarkin tells Vader that Obi-Wan is dead when Vader senses him.    My point is that everyone will believe Kenobi to be dead and the name will fade away from the main populace; no one is hunting Jedi any longer.   Maybe no one on Tatooine says "Kenobi" except for Owen, to Luke.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 6/3/2022 at 1:41 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

If I were an extremely high ranking politician who’d been taken hostage during an international mission, I would be expecting the galactic equivalent of a CIA stealth retrieval or a Navy SEALS mission to come rescue me, not a small town yokel and his sketchy Uber driver. 

Someone online once described it as something like "Leia was expecting Mission Impossible and ended up with the Dukes of Hazzard." I do like that they made a callback to Leia being suspicious of and critical of the people rescuing her.

Also, Han isn't really an Uber driver. He's more like a trucker that makes extra money by picking up hitchhikers. 

On 6/3/2022 at 3:01 PM, paigow said:

arrogant but roguishly handsome

Based on the idea that he would object to "sketchy" the same way objects to "scruffy"?

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

How would he learn that his name is "Skywalker" unless Owen tells him? Unless, I suppose, Obi-Wan manages to get near him at some point and tells him. Which would be dumb because the Skywalker Drama Gene would mean he'd start using the name openly and defiantly.

I love the idea of the "Skywalker Drama Gene" and I may be using that in the future. It's a great addition to my theory of the "Emo Skywalker Gene." 

1 hour ago, raven said:

Owen tells Luke to stay away from that crazy hermit, Ben Kenobi.    Owen doesn't like Obi-Wan, but as shown in this series, Owen isn't a monster who'll turn him in.   He just doesn't want him involved with Luke's life.   Most of Luke's life is spent on the farm - when we meet him, he's just barely 19 or 20.  Any time spent hanging with his friends is probably spent daydreaming and complaining about Tatooine, not talking about the hermit who lives in the desert.     Wasting time, as Uncle Owen would say. 

I don't think this theory is as convoluted as you do. I think this one works perfectly. Owen doesn't Obi-Wan/Ben involved in Luke's life. We've seen that already in this series. It makes sense that wouldn't change. As a kid/teenager (Luke is 19 in A New Hope), he spends time with his friends, and Ben may come up as a campfire story kind of figure, but Luke has other interests. We know he's an aspiring pilot so I imagine there's racing whatever the Star Wars version of soap box derby or when he gets older something more like hot rods made from what they can get second hand. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

They've been looking for Obi-Wan with no luck for 10 years, so why not track back through all his contacts? Look up Mace Windu's family, see if Qui-Gon has any living relatives Obi-Wan might have known about, look up Anakin's connections. Then interview them. Has this man come to see you? Have you heard from him? Maybe to notify you that your stepbrother was killed or put up some kind of monument to him next to his mother's grave? (They seem to know that Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead.) You haven't tried everything until you've actually tried everything. At least that would be somewhat more systematic than just randomly searching the galaxy or showing up whenever there's a rumor of someone who's acted kind of like a Jedi. They pride themselves on being thorough.

Other than Reva is doesn’t seem like the others are all that focused on finding him. In Part I the Grand Inquisitor says that scraps are all they have left and the Kenobi isn’t theirs to find. For whatever reason they aren’t focused on finding Obi-Wan so it’s not surprising to me they wouldn’t have tracking down every potential lead. 

Do they pride themselves in being thorough? The Grand Inquisitor didn’t seem to in his opening speech about how easy it is to hurt Jedi. At every step when Reva wants to hunt Kenobi she has another inquisitor telling her to knock it off.