Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E05: I'm Survivor Rich

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

It’s day 10, and patience is running thin for some of the tribe members. Also, immunity is on the line, and one tribe gets tied up.

Original airdate 4/6/2022

Just now, truthaboutluv said:

I had a feeling Chanelle was the one who voted Mike when they showed that random moment of Mike telling her he kept his word and someone voted for him. 

You are correct, she did and the big question is why.

• Love 13
(edited)

Overall I am loving this season.  While there's some people I don't care for, there's no one I'm actively rooting against.  I hope the merge is a good second half.  I was thinking Ika and Vati would crumble faster at merge than Taku (who, for once, weren't finished with the challenge before everyone else got to the last part of it), but I'm not sure how tight Taku will be.   

I'm glad Mike finally said his phrase.  That might have been an even more interesting TC had he not, and didn't get his vote back.  Why did Chanelle vote for Mike?  She looked surprised when her own name came up.

I loved that Rocks and Lydia were each trying to get info from the other about their tribes dynamics, while purposely not trying to give anything of their own away.  Also loved how Rocks realized he isn't running things, and wants to just ride his tribe's social game coattails.  And Tori isn't into the whole 'Ika 4 Strong!'  Like I said, I hope it's a fun, unpredictable merge when it happens.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 14
(edited)

I believe it was famous sportscaster Jack Buck who once intoned during a game “I can’t believe what I just saw!”

Did Chanelle really think two other people were voting for Mike?  That could have really bit her in the ass.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Definitely some frayed edges starting to show on Orange, but I noted quite a few smiles and chuckles during that "fight" between Jonathan and Maryanne, so I doubt it's too fraught just yet.

Loved the random shot of Chanelle looking confused when Jeff took the idols back before the challenge. I have no idea what it was all about, but it amused me.

Also amusing: everything Tori said or did. I have a feeling there will be an epic supercut of her Rocksroy-related eyerolls by the time the season is over.

Chanelle is extremely lucky that voting strategy didn't send her home.

That was overly risky if she didn't know for sure where the other votes were going.

And it also shows they can't trust her. I'm not so sure they made the right choice.

• Love 15

Am I to assume that Hai/Lydia/Mike split the votes to avoid the shot in the dark, knowing that Daniel and Chanelle voting for each other? That random Mike vote almost really backfired on Chanelle.

Next week will be total chaos, between the 4-4-4 tribal split, three activated idols, god knows how many extra votes floating around now, and the possibility of the time-turner twist being used again. 

• Love 5

I wonder if either of the following factored into Chanelle's vote for Mike?

1) Hai and Lydia asked Chanelle to vote for Mike to test her loyalty to then (and then voted out Daniel on the re-vote once she showed that bit of loyalty)

2) Daniel playing his SITD and becoming safe, leaving someone other than Chanelle herself as someone who would receive at least one vote.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Jonathan saves the day again.

True enough, but Tori was also a challenge hero tonight!

(Apparently I am now a Tori stan. Crossing my fingers she doesn't cross over into objectively unpleasant)

10 minutes ago, vb68 said:

That was overly risky if she didn't know for sure where the other votes were going.

And it also shows they can't trust her. I'm not so sure they made the right choice.

They might not have made the right choice, but I'm kinda glad they made the choice they did. Daniel was nice enough, but I think his story and awkward efforts to play the game had run their course.

20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I believe it was famous sportscaster Jack Buck who once intoned during a game “I can’t believe what I just saw!”

Did Chanelle really think two other people were voting for Mike?  That could have really bit her in the ass.

I don't know why she didn't throw her vote to Hai or Lydia.  Mike is probably going to wonder why his name was written down.  

I'm also shocked that Daniel didn't play his shot in the dark.  He really wasn't observant to his social standing.  He probably would have finally been the person to draw a 'safe'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Daniel was nice enough, but I think his story and awkward efforts to play the game had run their course.

I think that spear fishing expedition sealed the deal for him.  There was no coming back from that. and then he asked to sit out the challenge- again. He may have been nice, but he wasn't very self-aware.

8 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Apparently I am now a Tori stan. Crossing my fingers she doesn't cross over into objectively unpleasant

She's been there awhile for me. I wanted to be a fan at first, but I just don't enjoy her.  She's very negative in my opinion. She's the yin to MaryAnne's yang.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I’m also shocked that Daniel didn't play his shot in the dark.  He really wasn't observant to his social standing.

He said he was blindsided and I wondered “…how, exactly?”

• LOL 7
  • Love 10

I really thought Orange was done for at the challenge. Glad they pulled it out but was a little dissapointed in some of the things Johnathan was saying about Maryanne. I prefer they all get along.

Daniel was on borrowed time ever since that nightmare tribal (still mad my favorite player Jenny went home at the hands of Hai)

Overall not the best episode....too much Hai and way too much Lydia...a very bland and boring castaway. With any luck at the merge they will quickly fade into the woodwork and the more interesting characters like Johnathan, Drea, VIctoria, Lindsey etc take center stage 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, North of Eden said:

I really thought Orange was done for at the challenge. Glad they pulled it out but was a little dissapointed in some of the things Johnathan was saying about Maryanne. I prefer they all get along.

Daniel was on borrowed time ever since that nightmare tribal (still mad my favorite player Jenny went home at the hands of Hai)

Overall not the best episode....too much Hai and way too much Lydia...a very bland and boring castaway. With any luck at the merge they will quickly fade into the woodwork and the more interesting characters like Johnathan, Drea, VIctoria, Lindsey etc take center stage 

I couldn't believe when she said her and Hai were controlling the vote.  Which, the way it went down, I guess.  But seriously, they just got blindsided the last time they went to TC.  After she said that, I wondered if her or Hai were going to go home.  

As soon as Omar finally got his tribes key, and Jonathan started on the slingshot, I had faith he'd pull it off.  Thankfully, he did.  I was nervous about him tonight if his tribe did lose.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

She's been there awhile for me. I wanted to be a fan at first, but I just don't enjoy her.  She's very negative in my opinion. She's the yin to MaryAnne's yang.

Oh my werd, imagine if Tori and Maryanne teamed up? That would be something to see 😆

Speaking of Tori (again, sorry)...I assume at some point either Drea shows her the idol, or Tori finds it wherever Drea hides it, since there was that teaser scene in the first episode showing her reading the instructions? Maybe we'll never know.

8 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know why she didn't throw her vote to Hai or Lydia.  Mike is probably going to wonder why his name was written down.  

Maybe to try to get the idol out of the game?

Chanelle tried a strategy but, similar to her risking her vote, she didn't consider the consequences or really see where the votes were falling. I assume she thought all the votes would go onto Daniel. Even if that was the case, and Daniel played his SITD, that's a huge risk, knowing you're on the bottom and probably being lied to. 

I think Daniel seems like a nice person, but he's a horrible Survivor player, probably one of the worst I've seen in recent years. Chanelle isn't a good Survivor player, either. She doesn't have any more insight than Daniel does.

I'm not surprised with Orange Tribe not being the strongest four. There had been always a three vs Maryanne thing in the tribe, so I expected that to be brought up again. 

Meh episode, overall. Not much was newly revealed so it was a pretty straightforward episode, besides the idol being activated.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

I thought you couldn’t sit out every challenge?

When there are two challenges, reward and immunity, in the same episode, you can’t sit out both.  But that resets every week.  

I was thinking about MaryAnne…who is nice but annoying…if they are merry, doesn’t she become the perfect goat?

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Maybe to try to get the idol out of the game?

Chanelle tried a strategy but, similar to her risking her vote, she didn't consider the consequences or really see where the votes were falling. I assume she thought all the votes would go onto Daniel. Even if that was the case, and Daniel played his SITD, that's a huge risk, knowing you're on the bottom and probably being lied to. 

I think Daniel seems like a nice person, but he's a horrible Survivor player, probably one of the worst I've seen in recent years. Chanelle isn't a good Survivor player, either. She doesn't have any more insight than Daniel does.

I'm not surprised with Orange Tribe not being the strongest four. There had been always a three vs Maryanne thing in the tribe, so I expected that to be brought up again. 

Meh episode, overall. Not much was newly revealed so it was a pretty straightforward episode, besides the idol being activated.

Yeah, that's probably a good point but...did anyone give Chanelle the illusion that they were going to vote for Mike?  I totally agree that she was probably looking to make a big move, but considering there's 5 people on her tribe, she votes for Mike, and assuming Daniel got safety somehow, she would have gone home.  From everything I saw of Chanelle pre-show I was annoyed by her and thinking she'd be a legend in her own mind.  She really blew it at the last TC when she got greedy, and now has potentially 3 people who have no reason to trust her or want to work with her.  If she assumes the merge is coming, she may not care and think she can make big moves by flipping on her tribe.  Whatever the case, she really isn't as good at this game as she probably thinks she is.  

If Daniel was truly blindsided, then he was worse at this game than I thought.  He seems nice, but too chaotic for his own good.  Both him and Jonathan are the two contestants I've probably done the biggest 180 on from my pre-show feelings.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Yeah, that's probably a good point but...did anyone give Chanelle the illusion that they were going to vote for Mike?  I totally agree that she was probably looking to make a big move, but considering there's 5 people on her tribe, she votes for Mike, and assuming Daniel got safety somehow, she would have gone home. 

I don't think so. But maybe she thought all the votes would be on Daniel, and if he got safety from his SITD, then Mike would go. 

But also, if somehow she had a vote on her anyway (from Mike) and Hai/Lydia's Daniel votes were null and void, then she'd at least tie with Mike...although she still would have gone so....

I just think that she tried to protect herself and she just further burned herself. She's in no good position, either way, but man, way to dig a deeper hole in the process.

• Love 5
(edited)

Maybe Chanelle thought the other 3 were solid and would either all vote for her or Daniel.  If that were so, then her vote would mean nothing and she did it to stir things up and make Mike wonder who his traitor was, effectively putting a crack in the tribe.  Chanelle could convincingly lie that it wasn't her, because why wouldn't she vote the only way she could possibly stay in the game by throwing another vote on Daniel?  It was a big scare when she realized that had she voted Daniel, she could have saved herself the tension of the revote.  But IF her intention was to cause doubt, it may have worked out for her.  ...until the merge or re-org of the tribes next week.

Edited by Johann
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Still hoping Mike finds out his idol is dead because he didn’t follow instructions. 

I would absolutely love this.  Don’t really have any hatred for him but he definitely didn’t follow the rules.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
33 minutes ago, Johann said:

Maybe Chanelle thought the other 3 were solid and would either all vote for her or Daniel.  If that were so, then her vote would mean nothing and she did it to stir things up and make Mike wonder who his traitor was, effectively putting a crack in the tribe.  Chanelle could convincingly lie that it wasn't her, because why wouldn't she vote the only way she could possibly stay in the game by throwing another vote on Daniel? 

This was my theory too.  I was glad to see Daniel go even though I didn't dislike him, but IMO he's the one who betrayed Chanel, not the other way around like he keeps saying.

• Love 5
(edited)

I almost screamed at the screen when Daniel said he's not an analogy guy. Daniel is a Yale-educated lawyer and he has done writing for federal judges as a clerk. Lawyers base their career on making analogies between an established case and the facts of their case. Basically most of legal writing is saying: this one case was decided this way. My case is like that case. Therefore my case should be decided that way too. 

Because Daniel looks like Miles O'Brien from Star Trek, I would have loved it if they did the transporter effect when he got booted. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

Nothing like laying on the bed, napping, waking up, and realizing you missed the episode. Luckily, I had CBS on, so I only missed the aftermath and most of the first act.

The three-way "amulets" . . . I'm a bit torn. They come up as dumb and reeking of shaking things up for its own sake. That said, if it's brought back in future seasons, I'd expect more strategy to be involved. You know . . . whether to open the advantage that says "Beware" and saying the phrase. Because it's new to the S41 and S42 casts, there was little to no caution. Players jumped on those like most of the new twists. I'd like tosee more angst, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a no-go. Also, I don't think we can top Maryanne bringing up the damn bunnies. I get how she annoys, but the enthusiasm is legendary. I think it might be enough for Sia to look for her checkbook.

Oh, Daniel. I think he has the potential to carve a niche into Survivor social media like Rob Cesternino. Tonight? Schmuck. Huge schmuck. And I'm betting it'll please fans if it turns out he's been second-guessing his decision to not go to rocks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Why did Chanelle look shocked after the Mike vote reveal when she did it herself? I'm confused why she did that. If she were to have voted for Daniel, there wouldn't have been a revote and she'd be fine. Daniel was dead weight anyway, so that was an easy vote. 

I still love Tori. Her mannerisms and reactions are still hilarious. She wants to jump ship from her tribe come the merge. She's not 4 Ika strong. I want to see her go far. 

• Love 2

Still laughing about Daniel’s comment at tribal about hoping that Mike dies long before he does.  What was he thinking?!  Between that and his time spear-fishing with his supposedly bum arm, I was floored at his lack of social game. Seems like a decent guy, but just a horrible Survivor player. 

Speaking of people who seem nice but are just awful at playing Survivor, let’s talk about Chanelle. The last time her tribe went to tribal council, she foolishly risked her vote which led to the tie vote that ultimately cost her an ally. This week, rather than risk and lose her vote, she decides to throw it away by voting for Mike even though there was no indication anyone else would be voting that way. Immediately upon coming back from the immunity challenge, she and Daniel correctly noted that their necks were on the chopping block. Yet she throws a vote on Mike?  What was she thinking?  That could have really cost her.  It was a close vote, and if Mike caught on that she voted for him he could have booted her on the re-vote. She might as well have gone for the shot in the dark rather than throw away her vote and burn a potential ally. 

• Love 8

I am glad that Daniel is out.  So annoying.  He said he wanted to spearfish because it was fun and an iconic Survivor experience.  I’m glad that ended up costing him the trust of his tribe. 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Fixed that.

Jonathan saves the day again. Other than that it was a pretty boring episode.

Still hoping Mike finds out his idol is dead because he didn’t follow instructions. 

49 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I would absolutely love this.  Don’t really have any hatred for him but he definitely didn’t follow the rules.

I agree.  The outside of the Beware advantage said that if they took it they would have to follow the instructions.  The instructions said “at the next tribal council, you must say this magic phrase”.

It didn’t say “if you want to activate the idol, you must say this phrase”.  It said “you must say this phrase”.   It wasn’t optional.

I would love for Mike to try and play his idol and then Jeff says “sorry, your idol was never activated because you failed to follow the instructions”.   I was waiting for him to get a note at the voting booth, but waiting until he actually plays it would be even better.

• Love 11
(edited)

As far as Daniel snorkeling on the reef; leisurely snorkeling around in the water is worlds different than busting your ass swimming in a challenge.  But everything is under the microscope in Survivor, and he should know this. 

In Marya's interview she said that between Maryanne and Lindsay there were NO peaceful nights gazing at the stars, because the two just wouldn't shut up.  I was annoyed for her.  Here you are in paradise, albeit in a stressful situation, and you can't even enjoy the calming sounds of the birds or the waves.  One comfort of being voted out is that at least it's quiet at Ponderosa for her.  If Ika would have lost tonight, Marya and Maryanne would have been together until the game was over (I'm assuming they send the pre-jury players to the same place once jury members head to Ponderosa).  But because of where we are in the game, Marya will have peace.  Everyone else is SOL. 

Are we sure Tori is a genuine adult, and not a jr. high student that looks older than she is?  Same with Maryanne, but for exactly the opposite reasons. 

Edited by eskimo
  • Love 17
(edited)
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

Chanelle knew that Daniel and her were at the bottom so either she was going home or he was so her potential vote for Daniel would be extra if they all voted Daniel or split their vote. 

assume 1 vote each for Daniel and Chanelle from the other. Select which one would goes home with the remaining 3 votes. She thought  Hai and Lydia would vote the same and Mike may or may not vote with them. Even if Mike did vote Daniel, Hai  and Lydia  would decide who goes home.  By voting Mike, she sows discord if she stays as voting either Hai or Lydia would be seen as obvious futile revenge seeking. Now, Mike has a seed of doubt about his tribe since he has the idol. Chanelle if she survived would hope for a merge and flip the first chance. It’s not a bad strategy.

Edited by calvinshobbes
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan1 said:

Why did Chanelle look shocked after the Mike vote reveal when she did it herself?

I’m thinking she will try to pin it on one of the other two in order to sow discord among the three and gain Mike’s trust. Her argument would be “Of course I voted for Daniel, it was between me and him and I had to ensure that it wasn’t me going home! One of your allies tried to flip on you.” It was a risky move because she could easily have been voted out. I also think it’s likely to backfire on her because what motivation would one of the others have to put one vote on Mike unless it was a sure thing? Doesn’t seem that believable. I think she thinks she’s a much more savvy player than she really is.

• Love 8
(edited)
16 minutes ago, calvinshobbes said:

Chanelle if she survived would hope for a merge and flip the first chance. It’s not a bad strategy.

Again it's only not a bad strategy assuming she survives.  She did. Good for her. But I still contend she got lucky.  If I know it's between me and another person (and I'm not sure how every vote is going), I'm definitely voting for that other person.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Again it's only not a bad strategy assuming she survives.  She did. Good for her. But I still content she got lucky.  If I know it's between me and another person (and I'm not sure how every vote is going), I'm definitely voting for that other person.

Well strategy won’t matter if you are voted out. Basically she believed  2 things: Hai and Lydia will vote together. Daniel will vote for Chanelle. Her vote and Mike’s vote are therefore irrelevant. She is on the bottom and baring a merge, she will be voted out at the next tribal. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Johann said:

Maybe Chanelle thought the other 3 were solid and would either all vote for her or Daniel.  If that were so, then her vote would mean nothing and she did it to stir things up and make Mike wonder who his traitor was, effectively putting a crack in the tribe.  Chanelle could convincingly lie that it wasn't her, because why wouldn't she vote the only way she could possibly stay in the game by throwing another vote on Daniel?  It was a big scare when she realized that had she voted Daniel, she could have saved herself the tension of the revote.  But IF her intention was to cause doubt, it may have worked out for her.  ...until the merge or re-org of the tribes next week.

I can't tell if it was her trying to make a big move or what.  Assuming Mike/Hai/Lydia voted for Daniel, she voted for Mike, and then Daniel played his shot in the dark and was safe, that would still leave a tie with Daniel's vote (which was for Chanelle).  I think it's possible she would have gone home on a re-vote against Mike.  Maybe that was her strategy, taking the gamble that Daniel is safe and that people would vote Mike out over her in a re-vote.  I still think she was looking to make a move, but this was risky on her part.  I'm not so sure Mike will believe her if she tries and pins the vote on Hai or Lydia.  I just feel like Chanelle is trying to play a game that isn't there yet.  I think she'll be the first to split on Vati when the merge happens.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1