Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E05: I'm Survivor Rich

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, eskimo said:

As far as Daniel snorkeling on the reef; leisurely snorkeling around in the water is worlds different than busting your ass swimming in a challenge.  But everything is under the microscope in Survivor, and he should know this. 

Yeah, that kinda bothered me with the rest of the tribe complaining. Snorkeling at the surface wouldn't require too much arm/shoulder movements, nor would the fishing unless he tried spearing some shark that started putting up a fight. Swimming in a challenge would require full shoulder rotations, which would be dangerous just 10 days out from a dislocation. I think the better determination would be seeing how he swims whenever they had to get to the water platforms before Jeff gives instructions and/or swimming back to shore at the challenge's end (i.e. was he swimming then with full arm motions or just some dog-paddling to protect the shoulder?).

Speaking of challenges, I've noticed that Jeff always seems to look down at the sand with his revised "Come on in!" He must really miss adding the 'guys' at the end...

2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

So if I have this right 4/4/4 going into the merge. That might be interesting.

I can't remember the last time (if ever) that we've had a 3-tribe season go to the "merge" with equal numbers. Although Omar still has a missing vote that he risked, so there should be an odd number of votes next week unless Drea or Maryanne use their extra votes already.

2 hours ago, Primetimer said:

Just posted: After tonight's less-than-surprising outcome, Primetimer's Joe Reid is looking ahead to next week's merge: Who's most likely to flip on their tribe... and will the dreaded hourglass make a return engagement?

https://www.primetimer.com/features/survivor-42-has-just-set-itself-up-for-a-killer-merge

It will be interesting to see if/how they decide to do an hourglass twist. Jackson's early departure left them with an even number at the "Merge," whereas last season they had 13, leading to Erika as the exile. With an even 12, there's no clearcut way to single one person out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

Yeah, that kinda bothered me with the rest of the tribe complaining. Snorkeling at the surface wouldn't require too much arm/shoulder movements, nor would the fishing unless he tried spearing some shark that started putting up a fight. Swimming in a challenge would require full shoulder rotations, which would be dangerous just 10 days out from a dislocation. I think the better determination would be seeing how he swims whenever they had to get to the water platforms before Jeff gives instructions and/or swimming back to shore at the challenge's end (i.e. was he swimming then with full arm motions or just some dog-paddling to protect the shoulder?).

Speaking of challenges, I've noticed that Jeff always seems to look down at the sand with his revised "Come on in!" He must really miss adding the 'guys' at the end...

I can't remember the last time (if ever) that we've had a 3-tribe season go to the "merge" with equal numbers. Although Omar still has a missing vote that he risked, so there should be an odd number of votes next week unless Drea or Maryanne use their extra votes already.

It will be interesting to see if/how they decide to do an hourglass twist. Jackson's early departure left them with an even number at the "Merge," whereas last season they had 13, leading to Erika as the exile. With an even 12, there's no clearcut way to single one person out.

They had 12 at the “Merge” last season as well.  It was down to Naseer and Erika in terms of Exile, and the winning team of 5 chose to send Erika to exile.

I really like Maryanne, but I also couldn't cope with being in a shelter with her for more than half an hour. So I hope at some point soon Tori is placed on a tribe with Maryanne. Also Hai. There would be some epic eyerolls and snide asides.

I think I actually shouted at the TV when Daniel said he'd sit out another challenge, but I am bummed he's gone and not Chanelle.

Oddly the one of the best parts of the episode was Lydia and Rocksroy appreciating the beauty of those green hills and the ocean around them. And also Jonathan surging into action and saving Taku at the last minute.

This is so much more enjoyable than last season.

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Oddly the one of the best parts of the episode was Lydia and Rocksroy appreciating the beauty of those green hills and the ocean around them.

Yes, and both having enough sense to give nothing away about their tribes and go for the "protect your vote," option.  None of that silliness about "This is Survivor and Survivor is about making big moves."  First, it's about surviving.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, DEL901 said:

When there are two challenges, reward and immunity, in the same episode, you can’t sit out both.  But that resets every week.  

I was thinking about MaryAnne…who is nice but annoying…if they are merry, doesn’t she become the perfect goat?

Ok because he never competed in any immunity challenges, i thought every challenge or immunity chalenge a different person sits out .

i felt sorry for jonathon watching omar struggling with that. I also loved his honesty about maryann annoying him. I do think ahe is a a very nice person, but inagine being how sweaty hungry and tired and having to listen to that constant yammering. Oh i wouldnt last an hour!!!!

2 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

They had 12 at the “Merge” last season as well.  It was down to Naseer and Erika in terms of Exile, and the winning team of 5 chose to send Erika to exile.

Why doesnt jeff say “ come on in guys” anymore. Im almost afraid to hear why …

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Overall I am loving this season.  While there's some people I don't care for, there's no one I'm actively rooting against.  I hope the merge is a good second half.  I was thinking Ika and Vati would crumble faster at merge than Taku (who, for once, weren't finished with the challenge before everyone else got to the last part of it), but I'm not sure how tight Taku will be.   

I'm glad Mike finally said his phrase.  That might have been an even more interesting TC had he not, and didn't get his vote back.  Why did Chanelle vote for Mike?  She looked surprised when her own name came up.

I loved that Rocks and Lydia were each trying to get info from the other about their tribes dynamics, while purposely not trying to give anything of their own away.  Also loved how Rocks realized he isn't running things, and wants to just ride his tribe's social game coattails.  And Tori isn't into the whole 'Ika 4 Strong!'  Like I said, I hope it's a fun, unpredictable merge when it happens.

Still hoping there is a penalty for him waiting to say it .

• Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Why doesnt jeff say “ come on in guys” anymore. Im almost afraid to hear why …

Last season he asked if anyone was offended by the term "guys." I believe the question was brought up because of gender identity/pronouns/etc being such a prominent topic. If I remember correctly at first everyone said they were not offended, but Ricard changed his mind about it and said he was so Jeff dropped it.

ETA: "offended" may be the wrong choice of word on my part. Could have just been prefered.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

He's always looked down when he says it. I miss the 'guys'...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

I'm just wondering what would be worth turning back time for? I forgot what Erika's circumstances were, but she had a good reason to turn back time. I think there was a gang on her tribe who would have voted her out.

• Love 2

It seems to me that more and more survivors are interested in being known for their big moves rather than in strategically playing the game.  Hoping for future invites? Social media presence? They also seem very interested in reliving previous survivor moments or experiences-hence Daniel being more interested in fishing than in staying in the game (if one is supposed to have an injury, don't invite speculation by doing something [swimming and fishing] that calls that into question).  Players also seem to be more inclined to rely on gimmicks rather than strategic and social game play.  Very few of the players seem to get the importance of the social game-Jonathan showed his understanding of it when he walked (swam) away from Maryanne and Rockster (?) showed his lack of awareness of how bad his social game was.  I think the show really needs to just reset and go back to the basics (no gimmicks, advantages, idols) to get away from survivors wanting to relive moments rather than play the game.

• Love 11
(edited)

When Jonathan tried to hack Maryanne up with the machete (wishful thinking), she said "all this is my workspace."  Does anybody know what her work is and why she needs all the space?  

It really doesn't matter.  The big man swinging the machete usually wins the workspace duel.  I just wonder what she thought she was proving by claiming all the workspace and standing in the way of his machete.

Edited by bunnyface
  • LOL 11
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Assuming Mike/Hai/Lydia voted for Daniel, she voted for Mike, and then Daniel played his shot in the dark and was safe, that would still leave a tie with Daniel's vote (which was for Chanelle).

If Daniel plays the SITD he can't vote, so in that case Mike goes home.

• Love 4

Only a self absorbed twit like Maryanne would walk near someone wielding a machete then cry "workspace" violation.  While she's the ideal goat, she's also insufferable to be around for more than 5 minutes. 

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, Msample said:

Only a self absorbed twit like Maryanne would walk near someone wielding a machete then cry "workspace" violation.  While she's the ideal goat, she's also insufferable to be around for more than 5 minutes. 

On the other hand, maybe don't use a machete when you can clearly see someone is right there lol.

I still can't really bring myself to truly like or root for any of these people (besides Tori). For me, last season had a great cast that was kind of stymied by all the bullshit and this season has a lackluster cast but is somehow still somewhat interesting, for now at least.

• Love 4
(edited)
42 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

When Jonathan tried to hack Maryanne up with the machete (wishful thinking), she said "all this is my workspace."  Does anybody know what her work is and why she needs all the space?  

I assume she's making a mailbox for all her bunnies. Or maybe a game board version of Mario Cart. We know there are turtles on the island, please don't let her put those shells to use.

I also sort of think that Daniel going fishing and talking about it as one of those Survivor moments really just showed that he knew his days were numbered. If his tribe won immunity he wouldn't last long after the merge and if they lost immunity (which, they did} they'd be dummies to keep him versus someone who could compete in challenges. So why not enjoy a couple of hours doing something that you enjoy and you probably won't get to experience again.

Edited by grandmabegum
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, calvinshobbes said:

Well strategy won’t matter if you are voted out. Basically she believed  2 things: Hai and Lydia will vote together. Daniel will vote for Chanelle. Her vote and Mike’s vote are therefore irrelevant. She is on the bottom and baring a merge, she will be voted out at the next tribal. 

OK, what am I missing?  Why are Chanelle and Mike's votes irrelevant?  If Hai and Lydia vote for Chanelle, as we know Daniel does, her vote is irrelevant, but if Hai and Lydia vote for Daniel, a third vote for Daniel sends him home and why would Chanelle not want to ensure this by voting for Daniel herself rather than assume Mike might?  Or worse yet, create a tie?  I don't believe Hai and Lydia told Chanelle they were voting for Daniel, but even if they did, why is she automatically trusting them?  I'm the first one to admit Survivor strategy is not my strong suit, but I just don't see how it was wise for Chanelle to vote for anyone but Daniel, given that it was likely her or him.

• Love 2
Just now, peachmangosteen said:

Who said the title quote?

Drea, as she was listing off all the advantages she had.

They had to figure with all three tribes down to four members the merge was imminent. Keeping Daniel might have been the smarter move, given that immunity challenges will now be individual. Then again I'm not so sure it's going to be an actual merge. Might be shuffling everyone into two teams of six each. 

I can’t wait for the other two tribes to see how annoying Maryanne is. 

I'm pretty sure they already know. The ones that don't know about the secret phrase must think she's batshit for talking about bunnies in mailboxes every damn challenge.

Because Daniel looks like Miles O'Brien from Star Trek

This is about the 100th "Daniel looks like {insert random celebrity here}" post since the season started. Apparently, he looks like about a hundred different actors. Apparently Hollywood loves a certain look.

I'm just wondering what would be worth turning back time for? I forgot what Erika's circumstances were, but she had a good reason to turn back time.

Erika's tribe was heading into Tribal Council and she had just been sent to Exile, which told her she was at the bottom of the totem pole. She would have been an idiot not to turn the hourglass. Anyone would have in that circumstance, which I believe was the whole point of the twist.

What I would love is if a future cast on this show all got together and collectively decided not to take any advantages, risks, idols, etc., and just totally play the game straight and screw over Jeff Probst the producers. They have become so reliant on twists and gimmicks it's just not the same show anymore.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

Both Daniel and Chanelle are bad, unpredictable players and a danger to the other three, but I disliked Daniel more, so I'm glad he's gone. Chanelle will flip at the merge, but so would Daniel, and he's such a transparent weasel that he might have made a goat immunity run to the end.

I had been thinking Jonathan, Omar, and Lindsay were the core alliance just bringing Maryann along, but now I'm not so sure. Twice now we've seen Omar listening with apparent sympathy as Maryann complains about Jonathan. And Lindsay, who's playing Let's Never Shut Up with Maryann, seems to be on the same page as Jonathan when he complains about Maryann, but I remember how she seemed to be completely in sync with Marya too, right before she voted her out. So I have no idea where the alliances really are on that tribe. I hope it's not Jonathan on the outs though because Maryann really lost me with the super-duper dramatics over how Jonathan almost amputated her foot in her workspace. Her workspace. Shut up.

Rocksroy and Lydia both playing it exactly right at the Prisoner's Dilemma by acting like they knew nothing about their own tribe dynamics. Well, in Rocksroy's case, that's probably true, but I was impressed that he realized this means his social game is lacking. If he can adjust his stubbornly linear way of playing the game, he might do okay. Drea and Romeo still probably want to work with him over Tori, but it really doesn't matter since Tori has already said she's going to flip at the first opportunity. Rocksroy, Drea, and Romeo will have no choice but to stick together.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think that spear fishing expedition sealed the deal for him.  There was no coming back from that. and then he asked to sit out the challenge- again. He may have been nice, but he wasn't very self-aware.

Maybe it was editing, but it looked like there was no discussion about who was going to sit out this time - Daniel just said, "I have nothing to offer here" and raised his hand when Jeff asked about who was sitting out.  To me, his tribemates seemed a bit taken aback by his quick response.  And Jeff's snarky, "Wow, again?" was true, but not necessary, IMO.  Everyone knows Daniel's sit-out rate.

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think Daniel seems like a nice person, but he's a horrible Survivor player, probably one of the worst I've seen in recent years.

For as big a fan as he is, he seems to be someone who opens their mouth at tribal and word salads too much nonsensical information where he'd be far better off answering questions succinctly.  His statements like, "I am not good at this game" or "I don't make analogies" are so obviously self-deflecting - Chanelle's eyerolls matched mine.  And I still have no idea where he was going when he said that Mike was 117 years old and that after the game they would be life-long friends, depending on who kicked the bucket first.  It went on too long and it was cringe-worthy.  And I actually really liked Albert Brooks Daniel.   

1 hour ago, bunnyface said:

It really doesn't matter.  The big man swinging the machete usually wins the workspace duel.  I just wonder what she thought she was proving by claiming all the workspace and standing in the way of his machete.

I loved how Jonathan knew and understood the potential optics if he stood over little Maryanne and yelled at her.  Not only does he seem like a decent person and a true challenge beast, he also apparently has the patience of a saint.  I liked how he simply left the shelter to escape the chatter, only to have Maryanne and Lindsey yammer after him and trying to get him to play a game of hot and cold....at that point, I wouldn't have blamed him for taking a machete to the shelter but he remained calm.  That's super impressive under the conditions.

That said, if the turn-back-time advantage comes into play and Maryanne is somehow the one who ends up with it....lol, I'm laughing already at what her reaction will be.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This is about the 100th "Daniel looks like {insert random celebrity here}" post since the season started. Apparently, he looks like about a hundred different actors. Apparently Hollywood loves a certain look.

I only remember two: Miles O'Brien and Albert Brooks. Both are reasonably close IMO. (Sorry, don't know how to put the actual pictures side by side, so it'll just have to be links).

https://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/216608/

https://www.startrek.com/database_article/obrien-miles

https://ew.com/article/2012/01/24/best-reactions-albert-brooks-and-patton-oswalt-tweet-about-their-oscar-snubs/

12 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Both Daniel and Chanelle are bad, unpredictable players and a danger to the other three, but I disliked Daniel more, so I'm glad he's gone. Chanelle will flip at the merge, but so would Daniel, and he's such a transparent weasel that he might have made a goat immunity run to the end.

I had been thinking Jonathan, Omar, and Lindsay were the core alliance just bringing Maryann along, but now I'm not so sure. Twice now we've seen Omar listening with apparent sympathy as Maryann complains about Jonathan. And Lindsay, who's playing Let's Never Stop Shut Up with Maryann, seems to be on the same page as Jonathan when he complains about Maryann, but I remember how she seemed to be completely in sync with Marya too, right before she voted her out. So I have no idea where the alliances really are on that tribe. I hope it's not Jonathan on the outs though because Maryann really lost me with the super-duper dramatics over how Jonathan almost amputated her foot in her workspace. Her workspace. Shut up.

Rocksroy and Lydia both playing it exactly right at the Prisoner's Dilemma by acting like they knew nothing about their own tribe dynamics. Well, in Rocksroy's case, that's probably true, but I was impressed that he realized this means his social game is lacking. If he can adjust his stubbornly linear way of playing the game, he might do okay. Drea and Romeo still probably want to work with him over Tori, but it really doesn't matter since Tori has already said she's going to flip at the first opportunity. Rocksroy, Drea, and Romeo will have no choice but to stick together.

I think Maryann is at the bottom of that alliance. Omar is listening and being sympathetic because he doesn't want Maryann to think that she is at the bottom because Maryann has an idol and an extra vote. Maryann thinking she is on the bottom will lead to Maryann very excitedly flipping and screwing over the other three. 

Jonathon and Maryann seem to be comfortable with the squabbling but I don't get the impression that Jonathon is willing to vote Maryann out until they have the numbers at the merge. Jonathon is smart enough to understand the social dynamic, it would look bad if he were to snap and raise his voice or get verbally angry with Maryann, people would say he is intimidating, so he walks away. And it is good for probably keeping the tribe together as well. It has to help that he walks away and returns with fish when he is annoyed with Maryann. 

Then I worry about Jonathon disappearing for 2-3 hours and spear fishing solo because that is a lot of time away. He seems to have a better grasp of the social game then Ozzy every did but it makes me nervous just the same. 

I wonder how they ended up with Omar doing the braid puzzle, it sure seemed like Lindsay was better at it then Omar was. She was walking him through the entire thing from behind. I guess you couldn't switch out the puzzle person. 

• Love 7

I'm so glad Production is letting the players have real clothes again. Glad for them because it must be miserable to walk around freezing in just your damp underwear for however many days, and glad for me because I am beyond sick of seeing the outlines of everyone's unpixelated reproductive organs.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, zscore said:

If Daniel plays the SITD he can't vote, so in that case Mike goes home.

Ah that’s right.  So then I stand by my original theory that Chanelle was looking to make a move for the sake of making a move.  Whether it was to brag she got Mike out by herself and never told her tribe mates she was planning that vote, or wants to stir up trouble, she knew what she was doing.  It would have been funny had she gone home on the re-vote because of her little stunt.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Maybe it was editing, but it looked like there was no discussion about who was going to sit out this time - Daniel just said, "I have nothing to offer here" and raised his hand when Jeff asked about who was sitting out.  To me, his tribemates seemed a bit taken aback by his quick response.  And Jeff's snarky, "Wow, again?" was true, but not necessary, IMO.  Everyone knows Daniel's sit-out rate.

Probst has never been above pinching someone who is not living up to his manly standards.

• LOL 5
47 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

Probst has never been above pinching someone who is not living up to his manly standards.

I was thinking he was going to rename the Abi-Maria Sit Out Bench the Daniel Sitout Bench. (Albeit A-M had no seeming reason AFAIK to sit out other than she didn't want to do the challenges).

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can’t wait for the other two tribes to see how annoying Maryanne is. 

I hope that if the merge turns out to be two tribes of six that Maryann lands on a different tribe . Jonathan and the others could really use some time to heal their eardrums.

I'm really impressed with Jonathan's patience. I would have strangled her by now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)

Taku was so far behind in that challenge thanks to Omar's inept moves with the ropes and key. As soon as Jonathan got a hold of the key slashed the sandbags down with the machete and tossed the one two punch at the targets they were able to finish in second place after being so far behind. I love watching Jonathan compete. I can't wait until the merge when Jonathan goes on a major challenge run for individual immunity and doesn't have to be slowed down by all of the dead weight. Maryanne's voice is beginning to sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Jonathan's going to have take many more solo walks to get away from her constant babbling about nothing.

Edited by Matty
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, DrBriCa said:

I get why he wanted to swim and fish, but he handled it all wrong.  And his tribemates did too.  He could have simply said "I think I can do this, it doesn't seem like it will put a lot of stress on my shoulder".  And his tribemates could have said "is your shoulder OK?  You've been swimming for a while, we want to see if you think you can participate in the next challenge, we need you".

I would have thought that if his shoulder is THAT bad that he can't participate in any challenges, then medical should have removed him.  "Sorry, it's too dangerous to you, and it's unfair to your tribe that you can't participate."

9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I thought Drea was going to be my favorite this year, until she found that idol and started talking about herself as the first woman to ever really play Survivor, the rest having just stirred rice.  Plus she's teamed up with Skinny-guy who has dedicated his life to empowering women -- by coaching beauty pageant contestants. 

I didn't understand that either.  Women find Idols on Survivor all the time.  She was acting like she was the first woman to ever find an Idol.

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

On the other hand, maybe don't use a machete when you can clearly see someone is right there lol.

I would put the blame on her.  He's clearly using the machete to chop the bamboo.  She is wandering around and puts her foot under the end of the bamboo that he is chopping.  Like, why?  Then she's screaming about "you chopped my foot".  No.  He was nowhere near your foot.  I don't mind her, I like her a lot better than useless and incompetent Omar and the other woman on that tribe whose name I forget.  But I can see how living with her can be really annoying.

I wonder if she has some kind of ADHD, she's a very excitable person and just nonstop talks.  Daniel might have some bit of ADHD as well.  The two of them should have been on the same tribe, they could just talk each other to death.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, Matty said:

Taku was so far behind in that challenge thanks to Omar's inept moves with the ropes and key. As soon as Jonathan got a hold of the key slashed the sandbags down with the machete and tossed the one two punch at the targets they were able to finish in second place after being so far behind. I love watching Jonathan compete. I can't wait until the merge when Jonathan goes on a major challenge run for individual immunity and doesn't have to be slowed down by all of the dead weight. Maryanne's voice is beginning to sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Jonathan's going to have take many more solo walks to get away from her constant babbling about nothing.

I love watching him in challenges.  As frustrated as he was by Omar, he held it in and waited for his turn.  Then he was so efficient.  He lined up his shots patiently and that was that. 

For a minute I was worried…when he came off the net, Jonathan went down hard and I was worried he as injured.  

• Love 9

This week’s observations:

• Once again we are treated to an extreme close-up of Maryanne’s SLOSS.  At this point in time I think even Peachy is finding Maryanne’s schtick a bit old.
  • It appears Maryanne is under the impression there’s a 3-foot bubble of MaryanneLand surrounding her wherever she walks, and all things happening in MaryanneLand can only be interpreted validly in accordance with Maryanne’s terms.
  • Maryanne’s “pridefulness” comment made no contextual sense to me whatsoever (unless she was referring to herself, which I find highly doubtful).  In any event, I also frequently find Maryanne fairly irritating - but that’s the first time I recall M coming across like a bonafide bitch.  Paranoia is not a good look on you, Maryanne.
  • I was really not expecting even Jonathan to be capable of snatching THAT victory from the jaws of defeat.
  • When Daniel was sucking up to Mike’s vote at TC, was anybody else straining to hear the faint sounds of violins playing in the background?
  • If Chanelle took every strategic hunch she had and did the exact opposite, she’d be a lot farther along in this game than she is now.

16 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Hey y’all, MaryAnne is excited about the merge.

IMG_0906.JPG.0747e34952d371a6afeae8732e1e7154.JPG

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

He said he was blindsided and I wondered “…how, exactly?”

Maybe they snuck up on Daniel’s bad shoulder side….

16 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

(Apparently I am now a Tori stan. Crossing my fingers she doesn't cross over into objectively unpleasant)

Some of us crossed THAT particular River Jordan back around Ep1.  😄

14 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

Why did Chanelle look shocked after the Mike vote reveal when she did it herself? I'm confused why she did that. If she were to have voted for Daniel, there wouldn't have been a revote and she'd be fine. Daniel was dead weight anyway, so that was an easy vote. 

The ONLY possible reasons I can think for Chanelle’s reaction to the initial TC vote:

• Chanelle is an absolutely horrible actor (“Who!?!?  What!?!?  How…???”) - IMHO the most likely option.
  • Someone (Daniel, probably) pitched to Chanelle an idea along these general lines…
  1. By now, everybody on the tribe (and probably half the population of Fiji) is aware Mike has (a) a functional idol and (b) his TC vote back.
  2. At tonight’s TC vote it was virtually guaranteed the Hai/Lydia/Mike voting bloc would generate a 2-1 vote split between Daniel and Chanelle; which got which is immaterial.
  3. If Daniel and Chanelle follow normal panic rules and vote against each other, then one of them is guaranteed to go home.
  4. If D&C team up and both vote Mike, though, it will create a tie vote between Mike and whichever of D&C caught the 2 on the 2-1 split.
  5. On the revote it’s just barely possible either Hai or Lydia (or both) might succumb to idol paranoia, flip their vote and send Mike down the Path of Shame - slim odds to be sure, but better than a guaranteed eviction for either D or C.

…which, all things considered, isn’t a bad plan - but Daniel got cold feet, threw his vote at Chanelle, and in so doing created a tie vote between himself and Chanelle.  All in all, the second-worst possible scenario for D&C.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Thank you. I tuned out of that and only heard [Drea’s] strange 'The women make rice' or whatever statement lol.

Personally, I thought Drea’s comment was rather illuminating in terms of her (dis-)regard for the other female contestants; kinda devalues Drea’s true commitment to the all-female alliance notion Drea was talking up not more than a week ago.  Drea apparently thinks she’s the only female playing hard this season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

Am I the only one who wonders why the opposing tribes react with shock when they get their "new look" at the tribe that went to tribal council ? I am guessing that some producer is holding up cue cards off screen, because in most cases they don't even know the person, let alone whether or not it would have been a blindside. For once I'd just like one reaction to be a Gallic shrug or a yawn instead of Maryanne's histrionics. 

• Love 10

Wow, Mike.  That was smoooooooooooooth.  Not.  Good lord, he couldn't have made slipping that nonsensical idol activation phrase into the conversation any more awkward, now could he?  I'm on the "he didn't say it at the next IC as the rules say he must and should face consequences" bench, so I'm hoping he goes to use it and Jeffy idol-blocks him by telling him he didn't follow the rules, and throws the idol into the fire.

I literally cannot wait for the merge to have Tori and Maryanne in the same camp.  Tori has grown on me as a character--not as a person--and her facial expression reactions are hilarious.  I still dislike her, and would be very uncomfortable to have her as a therapist after watching this, but she does an epic eye-roll.

Jonathon does have the patience of a saint.  I was dying last night at his facial expressions as the girls chattered on and on behind him.  He's very self-aware and I like that about him.  His sensitivity on how it would be perceived if he were to merely speak firmly to Maryanne, size-wise, race-wise, and power dynamics-wise speaks well of his ability to filter himself.  But you could tell in his talking head sequence that he was on his last nerve.  He continues to impress me.  Like others, I am concerned that his escaping to go fishing might backfire, and allow a lot of scheming to go on behind his back, but so long as he comes back with food and continues to keep a good social game going, I think he's OK.  Until the merge, when his challenge beast reputation will become a liability.

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nashville said:
18 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

(Apparently I am now a Tori stan. Crossing my fingers she doesn't cross over into objectively unpleasant)

Some of us crossed THAT particular River Jordan back around Ep1.  😄

Nah, y'all just decided you don't like her, which is valid. But what I mean by objectively unpleasant is that she does something that cannot be viewed as anything other than awful, like spitting in someone's face, straight-up insulting someone's beliefs, family, etc., or something extreme along those lines. That's irredeemable. Some light bitching and eyerolling about Rocksroy or Zach, touting her therapy skills, and being all over the place strategically doesn't come close to that standard and is subjectively unpleasant, since some of us find it amusing.

Happy to be in the minority, though! Wouldn't be the first time 😆 (not even the first time this season!)

Edited by tracyscott76
13 minutes ago, Msample said:

Am I the only one who wonders why the opposing tribes react with shock when they get their "new look" at the tribe that went to tribal council ? I am guessing that some producer is holding up cue cards off screen, because in most cases they don't even know the person, let alone whether or not it would have been a blindside. For once I'd just like one reaction to be a Gallic shrug or a yawn instead of Maryanne's histrionics. 

I suppose in some cases, some level of shock is warranted because the tribe booted off a solid challenge competitor in favor of someone who clearly doesn't contribute or at least has less likelihood of contributing. Or because the person who was booted was known/thought to have an idol so it was a successful blindside.

That said, Maryanne has been taking it to another level where the reaction would be more appropriate to Jeff having made an announcement like  "You're getting a look at the new X tribe. Y voted off at tribal council last night. Also, my fellow zombies and I ate his delicious BRAINS, just as we plan to do for each of YOU!"

• LOL 10
5 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Also, my fellow zombies and I ate his delicious BRAINS, just as we plan to do for each of YOU!"

You and your fellow zombies are going to starve when it comes time to divvy up Maryanne's brains. 

• LOL 14
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Personally, I thought Drea’s comment was rather illuminating in terms of her (dis-)regard for the other female contestants; kinda devalues Drea’s true commitment to the all-female alliance notion Drea was talking up not more than a week ago.  Drea apparently thinks she’s the only female playing hard this season.

Yea, it was not a good look for her at all.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

Happy to be in the minority, though!

Try not liking Jonathan lol!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

Happy to be in the minority, though!

Try not liking Jonathan lol!

That's kinda what I meant by it not being the first time this season...shh, don't tell anyone! 😆

(edited)
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Tori Warriors Who Are Also Jonathan Haters Unite!

Woot! Torriors? No?

To be fair, I don't hate him. I'm just not as impressed as many others evidently are, and he's pretty far down the list of people I'd miss if they were voted out.

Edited by tracyscott76
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

What I would love is if a future cast on this show all got together and collectively decided not to take any advantages, risks, idols, etc., and just totally play the game straight and screw over Jeff Probst the producers. 

If I were on that cast, I'd assume they were all lying to me about that 😄

5 hours ago, Matty said:

I can't wait until the merge when Jonathan goes on a major challenge run for individual immunity and doesn't have to be slowed down by all of the dead weight. 

I think he's going to be in trouble the minute they have to stand on tiny blocks of wood.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Kenzie said:

I hope that if the merge turns out to be two tribes of six that Maryann lands on a different tribe . Jonathan and the others could really use some time to heal their eardrums.

I'm really impressed with Jonathan's patience. I would have strangled her by now.

exactly. and think of how tired, hot, sweaty, hungry--I think someone said it last nite--wait unril everyone else sees how over the top she is.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/7/2022 at 2:15 AM, jsm1125 said:

I wonder if either of the following factored into Chanelle's vote for Mike?

1) Hai and Lydia asked Chanelle to vote for Mike to test her loyalty to then (and then voted out Daniel on the re-vote once she showed that bit of loyalty)

2) Daniel playing his SITD and becoming safe, leaving someone other than Chanelle herself as someone who would receive at least one vote.

3) Chanelle thought everyone was voting for Daniel (Mike did assure her more than once) and she wanted to make Mike paranoid.

Edited by WearyTraveler
My autocorrect doesn't recognize "Chanelle" as a valid word
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Wow, Mike.  That was smoooooooooooooth.  Not.  Good lord, he couldn't have made slipping that nonsensical idol activation phrase into the conversation any more awkward, now could he?  I'm on the "he didn't say it at the next IC as the rules say he must and should face consequences" bench, so I'm hoping he goes to use it and Jeffy idol-blocks him by telling him he didn't follow the rules, and throws the idol into the fire.

I literally cannot wait for the merge to have Tori and Maryanne in the same camp.  Tori has grown on me as a character--not as a person--and her facial expression reactions are hilarious.  I still dislike her, and would be very uncomfortable to have her as a therapist after watching this, but she does an epic eye-roll.

Jonathon does have the patience of a saint.  I was dying last night at his facial expressions as the girls chattered on and on behind him.  He's very self-aware and I like that about him.  His sensitivity on how it would be perceived if he were to merely speak firmly to Maryanne, size-wise, race-wise, and power dynamics-wise speaks well of his ability to filter himself.  But you could tell in his talking head sequence that he was on his last nerve.  He continues to impress me.  Like others, I am concerned that his escaping to go fishing might backfire, and allow a lot of scheming to go on behind his back, but so long as he comes back with food and continues to keep a good social game going, I think he's OK.  Until the merge, when his challenge beast reputation will become a liability.

yes toris eyerolls are ridiculous. I cannot beleive she is a good therpist, but would love to see her and maryann together:)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2