Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Wined, Dined and Ryned

• Start Topic

I read that Ryne is the president of a successful Hiwaiian based vacation and rental agency. Dr.Jen and Ryne just look like they have nothing in common and really don't like each other. But if they want to make a go of their marriage they should not be on this show. The marriage experts known as Heather and Terry will pick them to pieces for fun.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Also hilarious to me -- the example of the Dubrow Marriage Counselor great compromise.  She put onion rings on the menu!

That'll save their marriage Heather!

That must have been where I went wrong!

• LOL 9

I'm on the fence about Rind. Dr Jen treats him horribly and talks down to him like some misogynistic male would to his housewife in the 1920s, or before. She seems completely out of touch with her family. On the other hand, dude had to be told to wear a shirt to school pick-up, and chose to wear those socks with his shoes to the Dubrow's. Maybe he knew it ahead of time, but I don't think it took him long to realize he was being set up. Between that and Terry's interrogation about lack of alcohol and drug use, combined with Dr Jen's love for that really, really good wine (It was really good), I can't blame him for shutting down. 

He's definitely odd, but she's has no clue about how she's contributing to their marital problems.

• Love 14
On 3/2/2022 at 10:34 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I don't understand why Emily keeps going on about Shannon being jealous of Gina's relationship with Heather. First of all, it wasn't that long ago that Heather was threatening Shannon. They are hardly bosom buddies. However Gina and Emily are. I think the person who is jealous of Gina's friendship with Heather is Emily. 

Shannon said Emily was the biggest pot stirrer this season and she was (half) right.  Gina comes pretty close too.  Gina called Shannon the biggest pot stirrer, but exactly what pot did Shannon stir Gina?  You are the one who blew up your new BFF's dinner party.

• Love 10
On 3/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, snarts said:

Happy that Shannon has John & his support but it's true that she doesn't do well with female friendships. Gina's sniping at Shannon is way too obvious. I get that there's at ton a resentment for how Shannon's treated her previously but she needs to learn how to get in digs without making herself look so stupid. I'm sure Heather will teach her.

I don't think Shannon does well with the fake, contrived "friendships" on this show.  She seems to have some long-time relationships with a close group of women off screen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

On the other hand, dude had to be told to wear a shirt to school pick-up, and chose to wear those socks with his shoes to the Dubrow's. 

I think Jen hasn’t learned to “choose her battles”

I’d forgive the socks. 

me to my always sock-less father: “remember when Mum made you wear socks to my wedding?”

Dad: (beaming with pride) “sure do!  I DID wear them that day!!!”

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
On 3/3/2022 at 3:11 PM, MaggieG said:

A Lizzy sighting!

Heather's friend Nancy (?) looked like Kelly Dodd

Who is Lizzie, please.  Oh that woman’s lips!  And she had trouble talking and sipping.  She probably just bought them for the filming, too.

• LOL 4
On 3/3/2022 at 7:50 PM, Natalie68 said:

I am not a drinker.  I have been asked by people and I just say its a fine line between a happy buzz and someone is holding my hair.  These people just drink SOOOO much!  Maybe eat calories instead of drinking them.

Are we related?  I bartended some very famed and also very elite places and I still to this day cannot drink. Having learned a great deal about wine while employed at a country club, my second glass is usually dropped.  Cannot handle alcohol!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Who is Lizzie, please.

Lizzie Rovsek, she was a full time HW is season 9 and was a "Friend of" the following season. Since then she appears every once in a while.

I kind of liked her, and thought she should have stuck around longer.

• Love 8
(edited)

Ryne is rough around the edges but we don’t know his story…. Why he doesn’t drink/why the dog is his crutch/why he doesn’t speak up/why why why.

If Jen was a man and Ryne was a woman I think we would see Jen more clearly as a manipulative controlling person… possibly (probably?) emotionally ‘abusive’. As a society we don’t call it out as much when it’s a woman being demeaning and awful to her spouse. Up until now I’ve seen Ryne as a bit of a douche but now I’m seeing him tolerating Jen and swallowing down his true emotions. They will burst out one day.

Edited by CrinkleCutCat
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Lizzie Rovsek, she was a full time HW is season 9 and was a "Friend of" the following season. Since then she appears every once in a while.

It looks like Lizzie had lip injections done.

• LOL 1
On 3/4/2022 at 11:07 AM, Boo Boo said:

This episode and some of the close-ups of Heather made me guffaw -- remember a few episodes ago when she was pretending to Dr. Jen she only does botox?  Botox doesn't give you a plumped up face like hers.  Heather is pulling out all the stops on her face and is pretending she isn't.

Yes she’s not being honest. I suspect cheek implants too. They give you that weird exaggerated look in the upper face and don’t look natural on anyone IMO.

I’m still wondering what happened to Nicole. Gone with no explanation. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Sweet-tea said:

I’m still wondering what happened to Nicole. Gone with no explanation. 

She was never there, bwahahaha! 

Terry took her batteries out and stored her in their clone room, it is next to the luggage room. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, 65mickey said:

I read that Ryne is the president of a successful Hiwaiian based vacation and rental agency. Dr.Jen and Ryne just look like they have nothing in common and really don't like each other. But if they want to make a go of their marriage they should not be on this show. The marriage experts known as Heather and Terry will pick them to pieces for fun.

If Rind is president of a vacation business why did he tell Terry he never really had a job?

We can see this couples dinnervention is a set up for Terry and Heather's next venture.

These HW's shows work wonders for ending marriages, are we not surprised that Jenn and Rind were cast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If Rind is president of a vacation business why did he tell Terry he never really had a job?

I was wondering that too. 

I would love to hear his side of how he and Dr Jen really got together. He was so out of his element at the DuBrows, but was completely comfortable talking to the driver about his workout routine. It's almost a shame Eddie isn't around anymore; maybe they could bond over gym routines. Can we get Eddie back without Tamra?

And, why is it when someone chooses not to drink alcohol, others feel the need to get to the root of WHY? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm a rare drinker (average once a month) but if I were having dinner with Heather and Terry I would probably drink my yearly total in one meal just to be able to deal with their snobbery.  Ryne doesn't need to explain to ANYONE, especially not Terry why he doesn't drink.  Remembering the scenes of Heather with her kids or the dinner scenes of the family makes me think Heather knows how she comes across, but she wants those scenes to make her more "relatable."  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

So Ryne does have a legit business:

https://hawaiihideaways.com/about-us/

I wonder if his saying he's never held an actual job was his attempt at a joke.

I had a dinner party last night for 22 people (it's my birthday!).  It literally didn't even occur to me to ask why certain people didn't drink.  Turns out, some of the non-drinkers were their couple's designated drivers, others just. didn't. want. to.  Know what we all had?  A good time, without anyone asking if they do heroin.

• LOL 5
  • Love 15
(edited)

In watching the episode, it felt like neither Jen nor Ryne know how to interact with other human beings. It definitely felt like Jen was trying to control the narrative around how and when they got together.

I thought Heather was trying to bring Ryne into the conversation to hear his version but he was so passive aggressive in his response. Like, it's fine that he doesn't want to go into details but the way he agreed with Jen made it seem all he was doing was appeasing her. He could have easily said, "yes, Jen has the details right" or something rather than "let's just go with what she said." 

Point being, I would find it awkward to be around either of them and both of them together. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

According to an article in Women's Health magazine dated 3/2/2022 he is president of Hawaii Hideaways a company based in Newport Beach California. I just googled Ryne Holiday and this came up. Maybe this article is wrong I don't know. The article has his picture along with Jen. It says he attended the University of Hawaii. It seems pretty legit.  I don't think they have the wrong Ryne Holiday. Have no idea why he lied to Terry. He and Dr. Jen seem sketchy to me.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
On 3/4/2022 at 3:00 AM, DeeplyShallow said:

I have lived in SoCal for nearly 18 years and not once have I seen, been offered, or have known anyone who did coke. A couple of months years ago in two towns in Orange Cty and housewives mentioning it do not mean it’s prevalent nor characteristic of a massive region.

I’m quite sure that every franchise is VERY familiar with coke but I wouldn’t generalize it to the respective states or cities. 

I would

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/2/2022 at 7:15 PM, NJbutNoHousewife said:

She must be book smart only - her education is impressive, check out her website: https://www.armstrongmd.com/dr-jennifer-armstrong-cosmetic-dermatologist/  I don't know how she could have accomplished all of that and still say some of the things she does. 

Very interesting to see her educational background.

I did my undergraduate work at a very highly rated, ivy-league level university with a lot of friends who were pre-med. Med school admission was tough even for them--my impression was that the most successful of my classmates were nearly 4.0 with top MCAT scores. By comparison, a 3.75 at Concordia would not have been a strong application, but she was able to get into a science MS program at Georgetown and complete it with a 4.0, which would have boosted her admissibility to med school, and it did.

She mentioned at one point that she is not licensed to do plastic surgery--she also does not seem to be a board certified dermatologist. In fact, she does not seem to have any board certifications (not required, but interesting that she doesn't have any.)

It looks like she has built a practice in aesthetic dermatology, and has done notable academic research in that area, but it is a more limited practice than either full cosmetic surgery or full dermatology.

My sense was that she angled to get her practice on the show because she thought it would help her business--and apparently she offered to give Gina some free treatments at Branwyn's vow renewal. My guess is she made that offer hoping to get her business on the show.

Somehow, she was then offered a spot as a cast member on the show, and my sense is she really didn't think about the full implications of being on the show as a cast member. I know production does some test shooting with potential HWs, and maybe that went OK, but to me she seemed uncomfortable from the beginning with the full expectations of being a cast member.

My feeling about her is that she's behaved like an average person being put on one of these shows--not super into revealing their whole life to the cameras and these new "friends", not super interested in diving headfirst into the drama, etc. It may make her less interesting as a character on the show, but, for me, far more relatable as I'm not sure I would be spilling my guts to any of these women so soon after meeting them.

Edited by Dr Mama
corrected typos
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

These people at the dinner party are insufferable boors. What a bunch of uppity pricks. 

When Ryne put his napkin in his shirt, and I saw those stupid socks, all I could think of is that he just got off the last bus from Deliverance. But Jenn is the biggest loudmouth drunk on the planet. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 3/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, sheshark said:

Who is Lizzie, please.  Oh that woman’s lips!  And she had trouble talking and sipping.  She probably just bought them for the filming, too.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:35 AM, Hiyo said:

Her most famous words were "You're crap, Tamra!" 😆

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)

It would take a lot of self-examination and re-watch, and I really don't know exactly why, but there is definitely something in me that makes me define Vikki, Tamra, and Shannon as way bigger snobs than Heather.  

I think it has something to do with behavior.  Imagine each of these women in a WalMart in Utica or Bakersfield or Columbus, required to buy groceries and clothes, as an experiment.  Who among them would be the most likely to (quietly) mock or make fun of the people around them, or not treat the workers well while looking for things?  To me, it seems clearly the troika above more than Heather, and that's how I would more define snobbery, I suppose.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 5

I think Vicki, Tamra, and Shannon are more cliquey than Heather is. And that is a form of snobbery. I think that Heather is open to getting to know new people - it doesn't always work, obviously, but she doesn't seem to freeze people immediately, which the other three (particularly Vicki and Shannon) are known to do.

• Love 10

There's no way I'd go to Jenn for any medical treatment.  She comes off as so scatterbrained and she always appears drunk.  How in heaven's name does she do anything in her practice?  She's like a walking, talking malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, Lassus said:

It would take a lot of self-examination and re-watch, and I really don't know exactly why, but there is definitely something in me that makes me define Vikki, Tamra, and Shannon as way bigger snobs than Heather.  

I think it has something to do with behavior.  Imagine each of these women in a WalMart in Utica or Bakersfield or Columbus, required to buy groceries and clothes, as an experiment.  Who among them would be the most likely to (quietly) mock or make fun of the people around them, or not treat the workers well while looking for things?  To me, it seems clearly the troika above more than Heather, and that's how I would more define snobbery, I suppose.

Could it be that Heather would never be caught dead in a Walmart and that's why she would most likely would not make disparaging remarks to or about the sales associates? She made fun of Ryne in her talking head for placing his napkin under his chin. To  me mocking a guest is a prime example of snobbery. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Could it be that Heather would never be caught dead in a Walmart and that's why she would most likely would not make disparaging remarks to or about the sales associates? She made fun of Ryne in her talking head for placing his napkin under his chin. To  me mocking a guest is a prime example of snobbery. 

I am going to take this response to Heather's thread.

• Love 1

I think Terry was trying to make a joke. I don’t think I saw Ryne chuckle, laugh, or join in during the whole evening. He made it very clear that he didn’t want to be there.I suspect he Put the napkin in his shirt on purpose. I think he knew they would be offended. The Dubrows may not be the best hosts, but Ryne is not a good guest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
19 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Could it be that Heather would never be caught dead in a Walmart and that's why she would most likely would not make disparaging remarks to or about the sales associates?

I mean, if you change the hypothetical, yes, I suppose the hypothetical doesn't apply.  You really see Shannon in a WalMart?

19 hours ago, 65mickey said:

She made fun of Ryne in her talking head for placing his napkin under his chin. To  me mocking a guest is a prime example of snobbery.

See Pattycake above.  I suspect Ryne was purposefully trolling, yes.  Even if not, I find gossiping about dinner guests pretty common behavior.  "Do you believe what she said about such-and-such?",  "Did you see what she was wearing", "Oh dear, he's really gained weight", etc., etc.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, la patineuse said:

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Walmart and it has nothing to do with snobbery.

Has anyone ever successfully navigated a Walmart without someone smacking them in the ankle with a cart?

If so, what's your secret because I can't get out of there with anything less than a bone bruise...

• LOL 7

I hate when I go to a dinner party and find out that amateur marriage counseling was on the non printed menu.

In the never before scene, Heather announced that the 25th anniversary of their blind date was coming up.

I am probably remembering incorrectly, but I thought they met somewhere when she was out with friends?

Either was, they are a perfect match in pomposity and delusions of grandeur 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Up until now I’ve seen Ryne as a bit of a douche but now I’m seeing him tolerating Jen and swallowing down his true emotions.

Jen is a controlling person, that doesn't mean Rind isn't an asshole. He behaves socially awkward when he pretty clearly knows how to socialize and be polite and chooses to be aloof and alienating, putting that napkin in the shirt he never wears was a sheer asshole-osity, a professional gambler with his own business is no rube. If he's aware enough to be embarrassed when his wife is drunk, maybe he needs to think how embarrassing it is when he won't engage in basic adult conversations, won't wear a shirt or shoes anywhere, and spends all his time with children and dogs. I cannot fathom how either Emily or Heather feel like that is relationship that can or should be saved. Ending things will certainly put them out of their awkward abusive misery. Maybe they'll end up like the Pina Colada song. 

• Love 4

After learning he runs a company and played poker professionally I rescind all my previous support of him or trying to understand him.

He knew what he was doing at that dinner. Rewatching the dinner party along with be Never Before Scene, he was trolling everyone. 
However I personally approve his trolling of everyone else at the dinner party as they were all so obnoxious

• Love 6

Is it that Ryne is actually even MORE of a snot and pompous jerk than the Dubrows themselves?  He's looking down on them by not engaging on purpose?

This is absolutely what he is doing, or at least trying to get back at Jen for making him wear socks/shoes/shirt.  Again the man made a good living as a pro poker player please don't tell me he can't *read the fucking room*.  Now certainly he may have always been someone who was better at observing humans than acting human himself which aided him in playing poker by not revealing his thoughts/emotions, but the only time this guy relaxed his ass a millimeter is when he got to beat Terry at the sportsballs for 15 minutes. Also I think that proves Terry DID try to make the basketball "sports is a metaphor" asshole comfortable.

I actually think Jen has a really good handle on the central problem: she met him at time when she wanted something simple and breezy and easy, but could check off her type A personality achievement list marriage/family CHECK, and the actual relationship part wasn't something she thought about working long term, it was enough she had achieved the marriage.  I think she has only stayed so she won't have "failed" at it. Rind seems like he's just too lazy to leave her. I always loved this comedian's take on a doomed relationship being like a run down house, everything will be fine as soon as YOU are *different*. I think Jen opted to be on the show precisely to make the marriage break. I think she's been setting up her leaving him since Mexico, and she's trying to make him look like the bad guy but largely failing because she is herself is so awful to him.

• Love 7

Ryne is boring, weird, and has a terrible nose. Except for acting as a manny, I don’t see what he brings to Jen’s life. That said, she was drunk as a skunk at the Dubrows’ and it was not a good look. Heather talking shit to her scary, old-ass friends after they left was rude, but her scarf-bib in the talking head was hilarious.

• Love 5