Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Back to Reality

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Shayne could be a Busey cousin. Natalie, run away! Shaina, you used God as an excuse to dump Kyle and then you talk about how you're still hung up on Shayne, a guy you haven't had the "God" conversation with at all. And then you show up at the party and try to break up Shayne and Natalie. Nasty, even if it would actually be doing Natalie a favor.

I like Shake's Tesla. I love gull wing doors. Right now they're looking like they might actually get married.

Nick and Danielle are looking less and less solid all the time. Love the doodle dog, though.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7

I'm only halfway through this episode (so maybe this gets resolved by the end, I don't know) but why can't Mallory and Sal just switch out her ring?  She obviously doesn't like it so why not just exchange it for one that's gold?  I'm sure production provided all the rings (except for Kyle bringing in his heirloom ring, like a fool) so couldn't he just ask them for a trade?  Or tell her that they'll trade it later?  It's just so dumb that she's keeping a ring she doesn't like when it's such an easy thing to fix.

Little further in the episode.  I can't with Kyle.  He and Shaina having differing religious beliefs is a huge deal and the fact that he can't understand that is insane.  And then acting so betrayed by it all, like he's invested years into this relationship instead of a week and a half.  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
44 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm only halfway through this episode (so maybe this gets resolved by the end, I don't know) but why can't Mallory and Sal just switch out her ring?  She obviously doesn't like it so why not just exchange it for one that's gold?  I'm sure production provided all the rings (except for Kyle bringing in his heirloom ring, like a fool) so couldn't he just ask them for a trade?  Or tell her that they'll trade it later?  It's just so dumb that she's keeping a ring she doesn't like when it's such an easy thing to fix.

Little further in the episode.  I can't with Kyle.  He and Shaina having differing religious beliefs is a huge deal and the fact that he can't understand that is insane.  And then acting so betrayed by it all, like he's invested years into this relationship instead of a week and a half.  

Eh Shaina is still trash. It was something Kyle was willing to work on or through but it never was with Shaina. She should of never accepted the proposal in the first place.

Danielle would be too much for me. She needs therapy or something.

• Love 21

What kind of weirdly sheltered is Kyle that he doesn't understand how religion could be a deal breaker.  He's lucky though Shaina is a crazy piece of work.  Actively trying to break up Shane's relationship is horrible.

Danielle and Nick are doomed.  She's not ready to compromise on the little things.

• Love 14

Nick sets off my gaydar in a big way. Maybe he's in denial because of his Catholic upbringing. I don't know. He and Danielle are not compatible at all.

Shaina used religion as an excuse to dump Kyle. She doesn't seem to give a fuck what Shayne's religious views are, though. She just wants him or thinks she wants him. She's a shit stirrer in the first degree.

The preview looked like Shake and Deepti may just go through with it. Hard to say. At this point, I'm still betting on no I Do's. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Like 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

The issue isn't really about the mere fact of the ring being silver (or whatever the heck it is). It's about a. the metaphor of Sal not thinking enough about Mallory's desires to have figured out her preferences (and by extension, does he really care enough about her) and b. JerBear potentially lurking in the wings to try and swoop in and make the case that she made the wrong choice. Simply switching out the ring isn't going to address those real issues.

I'm sure there are numerous couples where one is religious and the other is an atheist or agnostic, and they work it out. It is a betrayal because Shaina should have known that it was a big deal to her and accordingly not accepted his proposal.

53 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

What kind of weirdly sheltered is Kyle that he doesn't understand how religion could be a deal breaker.  He's lucky though Shaina is a crazy piece of work.  Actively trying to break up Shane's relationship is horrible.

I don't think that Kyle doesn't understand that religion can be a deal breaker. I think he believes either that the love he and Shaina have should be enough to triumph over that set of differences or that Shaina should never have accepted his proposal if it was going to be that big a deal for her. He's right IMO about the second part.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Shaina is a piece of work. Do I TRULY believe that these relationships are “real”? No. But I think they could turn out to be. I met and married my husband within 5 months and here we are 30 years later with 2 grown children and our first grandchild.  I don’t believe you need to have a super long courtship to know it’s real. But, for Shaina to call Shane and Natalie’s relationship a joke was a shitty thing to do because she’s ONLY saying that because she thinks she wants Shane. This episode is the first time I ever like Shane and Natalie together. As long as Natalie takes the reigns of their finances. 

I liked Nick and Danielle during the family visit and then it turned insane. Obviously we don’t see it all, but she said he was a narcissist. There’s really l coming back from that, imo. She’s high maintenance. 

• Love 17

I said "huh?" when Natalie and Shayne said they were best friends. I know the whole point of this is the speed, but I was thinking "Already?" and, like, do you not have other friends?

Did Shaina's family home have all the furniture covered?

4 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think he believes either that the love he and Shaina have should be enough to triumph over that set of differences or that Shaina should never have accepted his proposal if it was going to be that big a deal for her. He's right IMO about the second part.

Agreed. I said in the second episode thread that she should have said no. He even said that to her when they were splitting up. It WAS selfish of her to accept and keep it going. She wasted everyone's time.

Did Danielle's brother seriously ask how sexually active they were? And Danielle's mother talking about how she'd wished she fucked around more before she got married was ... a lot.

Shane spends two grand a month on food?! Also, money is something I'd talk about in the pods. I don't think you can just rely on the emotional - you need to talk about some of the practical things too.

6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Danielle would be too much for me. She needs therapy or something.

I don't understand what Danielle and Nick were fighting about. How did we get to narcissistic personality disorder? This is the second episode where she's started a fight with him and I've been confused about how they got there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

Shayne looks so much like Tate Donovan (crossed with Jake Busey).

Shaina is such a horrible, no good, terrible, awful person.  Extremely manipulative, deceptive, awful.

I wanted to like Nick, but wow, he's horrible delving into all the drama with such glee.  I'm done with him and he deserves Danielle.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
15 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I like Shake's Tesla. I love gull wing doors. Right now they're looking like they might actually get married.

Shake gave good parent in this episode.  He's like two different people.  But in this episode, I felt they could work.  But only this episode so far.

7 hours ago, Hpmec said:

Shaina used religion as an excuse to dump Kyle. She doesn't seem to give a fuck what Shayne's religious views are, though. She just wants him or thinks she wants him. She's a shit stirrer in the first degree.

It sounds like they talked about it because he apparently told her he couldn't believe she was marrying an atheist.  But Shayne doesn't strike me as a "lead his wife in a spiritual journey" type of guy.

A side note:  Shaina reminds me of a roommate I used to have who was so insistent that her future hubby be the spiritual leader in the family and any man who wasn't was some kind of failure.  Oof.  She wasn't a pot stirrer like Shaina but that weird combo of judgmental and religious is reminding me so much of that roommate.

And I try to remember how poorly the show did Jessica last season that I'm trying to be kind to Shaina but no.  Just no.  That "I'm so innocent" act while behaving badly is just ugh.

My favorite moment of the episode was Danielle's sister saying she knows more about her family's sex life than she wanted to know.  Me too, sister, me too.

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

I actually like Shake and that shocks me. 

Wow, Danielle's mom was spot on when she said Danielle tries to sabotage her relationships. I have yet to understand why she's been mad sat him whenever they're arguing. 

Shaina wow. I hope Shayne doesn't go to her. 

• Love 12

I grew in Chicago and still live in the area. I have never known  Anyone who has lived in a Chicago lakefront or downtown high rise....let alone All of them.   Where did they  cast for and find these people. They are all rich.   its odd

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

I grew in Chicago and still live in the area. I have never known  Anyone who has lived in a Chicago lakefront or downtown high rise....let alone All of them.   Where did they  cast for and find these people. They are all rich.   its odd

Wait, I thought that those were the apartments that the show rented for them to live in together?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wait, I thought that those were the apartments that the show rented for them to live in together?

The apartments where they spend most of their time and that look alike are rented by production. But then we visited some houses/apartments of the actual participants that matched this description as well.

Shake, Nick, and Natalie all looked like they lived in high rises. So did Danielle but she, at least, has roommates.  I know we saw Jarrette's apartment but I don't remember what kind of place it was.  The only non-high rise people I think we know about are Deeps (lives with parents in suburbs most likely), and Sal (brownstone with roommate). I don't remember if we've seen Shayne's place, Iyanna's or Mallory's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Ok.  So the show is confusing me on purpose.  😄.  Obviously I'm not good with paying attention.   I definitely noticed Deepti's place at least.  And Danielle's parents' house?

I'm watching 207 now and I think some of the things you guys are saying are happening in that episode instead.  

Spoiler

Nick's place, Sal's roommate, Sal's brownstone, Shake's high rise, Danielle's place.  I couldn't tell what kind of place Nick had.  

I feel bad saying this but I feel like if Danielle's eyebrows were different maybe I would find her more attractive.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Shake gave good parent in this episode.

12 hours ago, crimson23 said:

It is possible that some of the people were lucky and bought places in the South Loop when that was more affordable. 

Also, I would imagine that some of them are being put up in apartments. Natalie told her folks that she recently moved into that place IIRC, and I took that to mean that it was furnished by production.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
On 2/18/2022 at 6:25 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Shayne could be a Busey cousin.

Why did I not see this before?  Also, now it is all I see.  Also now I think Danielle looks like Liza Minelli.

I really liked the opening scene with Shayne and Natalie.  I am shocking myself with how much I am beginning to like Shayne.  He just seems like a big toothy dope.  And he's ok in that wheelhouse.  I really felt good for him when I saw the look on his face when Natalie said 'You're everything I wanted."  His face just lit up.  He seems sincere.  He cracks on her a lot but in a funny way.  I have to say I was not feeling her apartment. I just can't stand white, white walls.  Feels clinical and sterile.  So far the best looking personal space I've seen on the show was Jessica's house in S1.  Her house and decor was beautiful.

Iyanna is funny and charming when she is just being herself. But she has a rigid and not necessarily realistic philosophy about exes.  It is a not a one size fits all.  I do understand her insecurity about Mallory.  And one the one hand I think she does need to air that out and let Jarrette know it exists, but on the other if she can't get over it she needs to acknowledge that maybe she can't move on healthily with Jarrette.  Also she can't ambush him with Mallory questions that come out of nowhere.  It needs to be a real, dedicated conversation.

Shaina's family.  Yikes.  "Tell me something real."  Uh, I would have been kicked out of there because my wise-ass would come to the fore.  Also "Yeah man we can hang out if you like having fun, riding dirt bikes, being an American."  What the fuck?  If Shaina wasn't already a headcase, I'd nope the fuck out at one glimpse of her family.  And their ugly house decor. Also if the religion is such a huge thing then Shaina should not have said yes.  Kyle is right. They should never had gotten to this part. Glad they broke up.  Now does this mean we never see them again?*

By contrast I liked Danielle's and Deepti's family. The Danielle family sex talk was cracking me up.  Her family's property is great.  On the water, in Chicago, must've cost a mint.   But she is a LOT.  I don't even know what she was arguing about with Nick.  And later when he tried to clarify I don't think she was even hearing him.

Meanwhile Shake was really good with Deepti's family  Wondering if he is coming around to her more.

*Oh well.  That was too good to be true.  At first I was like, oh cool all the pod people are hanging out in a picnic.  But then Shaina showed up and is a being 100x more shiesty than Jessica ever was. And Nick is a shit stirrer.  Made my opinion drop by miles.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also "Yeah man we can hang out if you like having fun, riding dirt bikes, being an American."  What the fuck?

Lol!!!  Yes!!  I’m so glad you brought that up, because that was such a stupid thing to say.  I was expecting a “USA! USA!” chant to break out.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

It is possible that some of the people were lucky and bought places in the South Loop when that was more affordable. 

Also, I would imagine that some of them are being put up in apartments. Natalie told her folks that she recently moved into that place IIRC, and I took that to mean that it was furnished by production.

even the cheapest rents in the South Loop start at like $2000 a month for a studio/1 bed   

The house that Shake's parents live in, Western Suburb is valued at $700,000.  These are all very affluent families.

• Useful 3
17 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

even the cheapest rents in the South Loop start at like $2000 a month for a studio/1 bed   

The house that Shake's parents live in, Western Suburb is valued at $700,000.  These are all very affluent families.

Shake clearly has money - I saw that Tesla. A Google search tells me that a vet's salary in Chicago averages about $106K a year, which doesn't seem like enough to support his car and place but maybe he makes more. He's about to start his own practice, which takes money. He was also talking about making enough to send future kids to "good schools" if they raised their kids in the city, so he's planning to drop tens of thousands per year on that (although I don't think he makes enough to do that now; he said they would have to "make sure they made enough," or something like that).

On 2/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, Snapdragon said:

I don't understand this either (and I also don't like her ring). Ostensibly she's going to be wearing it every day forever, so she should have something she likes. And as you said, I'm sure the rings are provided by the show (I'm guessing the guys pick rings from a selection the show gives them).

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Shaina's family.  Yikes.  "Tell me something real."  Uh, I would have been kicked out of there because my wise-ass would come to the fore.  Also "Yeah man we can hang out if you like having fun, riding dirt bikes, being an American." 

Ha. I like how "being an American" is akin to doing something or being a hobby instead of either just being born in the US or becoming a citizen. Are they suggesting Kyle might not be an American?  And Shaina's sour expression during that whole conversation...yuck.

47 minutes ago, crimson23 said:

Oh I would've pegged that as over a million. Maybe it's further out than I thought.

30 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Shake clearly has money - I saw that Tesla. A Google search tells me that a vet's salary in Chicago averages about $106K a year, which doesn't seem like enough to support his car and place but maybe he makes more. He's about to start his own practice, which takes money. He was also talking about making enough to send future kids to "good schools" if they raised their kids in the city, so he's planning to drop tens of thousands per year on that (although I don't think he makes enough to do that now; he said they would have to "make sure they made enough," or something like that).

It's also possible Shake overspends.  But I did kind of like that convo about kids and schooling.  Deeps even gave a number of 2 kids as if she knew what they'd be able to afford. That suggests to me that their conversations are going pretty deep.

• Love 3
On 2/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, Hpmec said:

Nick sets off my gaydar in a big way. Maybe he's in denial because of his Catholic upbringing. I don't know. He and Danielle are not compatible at all.

Same. The leather halter/harness thing hanging on the back of his closet door certainly didn't dissuade me of that belief. 

Shaina is utter trash. So happy to see Shayne immediately tell Natalie everything she said. The worst for me was her falsely  befriending Natalie just to get scoop on their rekatuonship. her family & house told me a lot as well. Snake.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 9

The bit with Shauna's family talking about being a real American was 100% a dog whistle. 

I'm a former evangelical turned atheist and while I dislike Shaina and her behavior at the party I'm so glad she finally flat out told Kyle, we're not getting married. There was no way it would ever have worked. For some people religion may be a part of their lives and something that can flex. For Shaina, it is her life. I know, I used to be her. And that indoctrination runs so deep, there's no way it would have worked.

• Like 1
  • Love 14

By contrast I liked Danielle's and Deepti's family. The Danielle family sex talk was cracking me up.  Her family's property is great.  On the water, in Chicago, must've cost a mint. 

Their place is pretty far from the city. I was guessing it might be on  the St. Charles River, definitely not Lake Michigan. Nice piece of property and not cheap, but no super expensive or fancy and probably quite affordable when they bought it.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2022 at 2:40 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

The issue isn't really about the mere fact of the ring being silver (or whatever the heck it is). It's about a. the metaphor of Sal not thinking enough about Mallory's desires to have figured out her preferences (and by extension, does he really care enough about her) and b. JerBear potentially lurking in the wings to try and swoop in and make the case that she made the wrong choice.

Don't remember if it was in this episode or the next, but I don't like that JerBear flat-out lied to Sal when he said that his mentioning to Mallory that Sal's ring wasn't gold, wasn't intending to be in a look-how-I'm-better kind of way (or whatever his exact wording was).  Nice try JerBear but we saw the conversation with Mallory...and you know darn well that the way you said it to her was definitely said in that kind of a way. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, Empress1 said:

Did Shaina's family home have all the furniture covered?

At least we got to see Shaina's family's real home.  It's been said that on the Bach/ette, sometimes the homes are rentals.  But that furniture covering thing? Yeah, real house...like people did about 40 years ago.

Also, I liked that the parents seemed more authentic and less camera-prepped than in the meet-the-parents on the Bach/ette. 

Agreed. I said in the second episode thread that she should have said no. He even said that to her when they were splitting up. 

That was the weirdest break up.  Kyle's expression never changed the whole time.  A part of me wonders if it wasn't fake and the real break-up had occurred earlier, and this was a re-enactment for the cameras.

I don't understand what Danielle and Nick were fighting about. How did we get to narcissistic personality disorder? This is the second episode where she's started a fight with him and I've been confused about how they got there.

As best as I can tell, the fight was about something that occurred off camera that we never saw...after they had the great time at her parents' house, Nick's phone was blowing up with sh*t from multiple different people, and it was stressing him out.  Danielle basically got pissed at Nick for daring to discuss that stuff, which harshed her meet-my-parents buzz.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

And I try to remember how poorly the show did Jessica last season that I'm trying to be kind to Shaina but no.  Just no.  That "I'm so innocent" act while behaving badly is just ugh.

She really was despicable with how she tried to make it look like she wasn't doing anything and the problem was with Shane/Natalie and within their relationship.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:52 PM, Court said:

I actually like Shake and that shocks me. 

I really couldn't like him while he was telling everyone and anyone about how he isn't physically attracted to Deepti but didn't seem to be telling her!

On 2/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Never seen this before and it is hilarious...and insanely catchy too!

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Love 6

One thing I’m confused about is Shake not being attracted to Deeps because when they first met , he was grabbing her ass and saying how beautiful she was . Now he’s not physically attracted to her . It’s got to be either a) his commitment phobia is kicking in and he’s picking her apart out of fear of it actually working or b) he thought she looked good that one night then saw her without makeup and didn’t like what he saw . 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

One thing I’m confused about is Shake not being attracted to Deeps because when they first met , he was grabbing her ass and saying how beautiful she was . Now he’s not physically attracted to her . It’s got to be either a) his commitment phobia is kicking in and he’s picking her apart out of fear of it actually working or b) he thought she looked good that one night then saw her without makeup and didn’t like what he saw . 

A couple other possible explanations/factors that came to mind for me:

1. Internalized racism. Deeps is the first Indian/brown woman that Shake has dated. He must have had opportunities to date within his culture (not to mention black/Latina) and almost certainly his relatives and others tried to fix him up with a nice Indian girl but he hasn't. There was a comment early on from him IIRC about him first seeing snow and blondes (which I got some amusement from because "snow" can be slang for white girls) when he came to the States and how he was fascinated by both. The way he refers to Deeps reminding of his aunt could be some level of self-hate.

2. Horniness got the better of him when he first saw her. Sorry to be crass, but talking sexy talk with 15 women and not (presumably) be able to release that because you're with 14 other guys might make someone as physical as I think Shake is think anyone looked good in the heat of the moment. 

3. Trying to stir up drama. If it wasn't for the "Is Shake going to let his lack of physical attraction get in the way of love" there wouldn't be really much in the way of a story arc for him and Deeps. Both sets of parents are down with a hastily arranged marriage, they don't have any personal friction, no jealousy, So either he or the producers may have pushed the narrative of "But am I physically attracted to her" for the purposes of keeping things interesting. (My prediction is they both say yes).

4. Sour grapes. It's not clear to me whether the two have tried to have sex and it didn't work, if they agreed to wait until their wedding or what. I could definitely see Shake couching a decision by Deeps to wait as "Well, I don't know if I want it anyhow."

On 2/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, crimson23 said:

I just Googled South Loop properties and you can buy a 1BR/1BA condo for about $200k asking today. Which is not nothing, but you don't have to be rich to afford that. And I'd guess that buying 5-10 years ago would have been more affordable. 

How did you track down Shake's parents' home? Out of curiosity, which suburb are they in? Any idea about the rest of the cast?

I'd say that most of these cast members and their families are middle or upper middle class, not actually rich rich.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, Empress1 said:

It sounded like to me that during the visit with Danielle's family, Nick was busy texting with his friends and family about some unnamed stuff going on in their/his life. Danielle took umbrage that he was not focused sufficiently on the time he was spending with her family (even though from all appearances her family still liked and approved of him.) Not caring enough about Danielle and her feelings=narcissistic personality disorder in Danielle's mind. In reality, seems like she's projecting or again stirring up drama. I don't see how one could contemplate getting married to someone you think of as a possible narcissist other than sunk cost fallacy or them having a ton of money or being that good in the sack (not that those are good reasons; I can just understand them).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

At least we got to see Shaina's family's real home. 

I really don't think so. It looked like a property that was empty, that she or production hired furniture and fittings from one of those places that rents stuff for real estate staging and styling pre-sales. Even the way they sat on the furniture looked as if they were not at home.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

How did you track down Shake's parents' home? Out of curiosity, which suburb are they in? Any idea about the rest of the cast?

They have very unique first names, both mom and dad, I just googled and it came up.  They live in Aurora, I believe.

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, violet and green said:

I really don't think so. It looked like a property that was empty, that she or production hired furniture and fittings from one of those places that rents stuff for real estate staging and styling pre-sales. Even the way they sat on the furniture looked as if they were not at home.

But if so then it's extremely odd to have a room with furniture that has covers on it.  That's how some families have it for more formal furniture, but it is not contemporary at all and would never be staged that way.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

That's how some families have it for more formal furniture, but it is not contemporary at all and would never be staged that way.

The chairs that were covered were around the dining table. Presumably they were not able to source sufficiently fancy dining chairs for whatever reason. The entire area looked staged. The dining table was entirely production staged. So I think the drapery was to carry on the impression of luxe. Anyway, that was just my impression, as I froze-framed a few things out of curiosity when I rewatched a few parts of that ep... 

• Love 1

I have no love toward Shaina or her bizarro family BUT I'm also convinced that Kyle was full of shit this whole time too. Shaina was absolutely awful in what she tried to pull with Shayne and Natalie, but I do believe she's sincere about her religion. I don't agree with her approach to religion whatsoever, but she's sincere about it. Kyle approached it with a shit-eating grin and snide remarks, and never seemed to do anything to actually forge a connection with her or take her concerns seriously. Even beyond the religion thing he was all talk and no substance, and you could see Shaina was suspicious of him from the moment they met in person (and obviously she was still hung up on Shayne).

He never should've proposed, she never should've said yes, it was a sham from the start. And yet he tried to convince us (and her) that he was madly in love... Something never added up with him, and after this episode I'm convinced he was a phony trying to go through the motions for more air time all along. I'm just hoping they're both gone for good.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, Cornhusker12 said:

I have no love toward Shaina or her bizarro family BUT I'm also convinced that Kyle was full of shit this whole time too. Shaina was absolutely awful in what she tried to pull with Shayne and Natalie, but I do believe she's sincere about her religion. I don't agree with her approach to religion whatsoever, but she's sincere about it. Kyle approached it with a shit-eating grin and snide remarks, and never seemed to do anything to actually forge a connection with her or take her concerns seriously. Even beyond the religion thing he was all talk and no substance, and you could see Shaina was suspicious of him from the moment they met in person (and obviously she was still hung up on Shayne).

Yeah.  I think Shaina's bigger awfulness kinda overshadowed some of Kyle's.  It is fine that he is an Atheist and he probably felt that they could co-exist , but I don't think he heard her or was reading the room properly.  He complained about her lack of communication skills, but I wonder if (not sure if I remember seeing this on screen) about his own communication  -- if they had a real conversation about him being not religious being a deal-breaker?

On the one hand, she knew this going in because he never hid it, so in that sense he may have been justified in thinking it was just a difference in philosophy they could live with.  But on the other hand if she kept bringing it up I think it should have raised some flags in him.  As it was he was always presented as this smiling person who had stars in his eyes and ignored all the flags. 

I also found his super easy capitulation to eating meat after being 8 years a vegetarian rather odd.  I could almost forgive Shaina if she thought, hey all it took was one night with me to make him eat meat, maybe I'll convert him to Jesus that easily as well.

• Love 7

I truly believe Shaina was resigned to, and okay with settling for Kyle.  Not sure how he felt (or if he actually knew) about being her second choice.

But I think as SOON as she laid eyes on Kyle and got a look at his pronounced (elongated ears and protruding forehead, veins included) features, she'd opted out.  She was ONLY using religion and her (blind) attraction to Shayne as convenient excuses.  Those elfish/demonic features were immediately noticeable.  And would be a deal breaker for most people.  Male or female.

So, in both cases (Kyle vs Shayne.  And attraction), Shaina's bases were covered.

Bottom line:  Physically, she was NOT impressed.

Edited by Sycophant4Lease
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I also found his super easy capitulation to eating meat after being 8 years a vegetarian rather odd.  I could almost forgive Shaina if she thought, hey all it took was one night with me to make him eat meat, maybe I'll convert him to Jesus that easily as well.

This is my thought, as well. I thought the meat would make him sick. He must be a vegetarian for health reasons, not ethical ones, to eat meat with nary a complaint or even much persuasion. 

8 hours ago, Sycophant4Lease said:

But I think as SOON as she laid eyes on Kyle and got a look at his pronounced (elongated ears and protruding forehead, veins included) features, she'd opted out.  She was ONLY using religion and her (blind) attraction to Shayne as convenient excuses. 

But she did the last-minute talk with Shayne before she saw Kyle. I don't think she finds Kyle attractive, which didn't help. But her acceptance regret was immediate and consistent.

BUT I'm also convinced that Kyle was full of shit this whole time too. 

I agree with this, too. How could anyone leave the conversation with Shaina's family and think the logical conversation to have was about the importance of living together because the wedding was in two weeks? That was a there's-no-way-this-wedding-is-happening meeting! 

• Love 7
On 2/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

On 2/18/2022 at 6:25 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Shayne could be a Busey cousin.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out who Shayne reminded me of, and you're both right. I also think he looks like Moose from the Archie comics.

Screenshot_2022-02-23-12-34-14-476~2.jpeg

• LOL 8
On 2/22/2022 at 1:50 PM, DearEvette said:

I also found his super easy capitulation to eating meat after being 8 years a vegetarian rather odd.

22 hours ago, Whimsy said:

This is my thought, as well. I thought the meat would make him sick. He must be a vegetarian for health reasons, not ethical ones, to eat meat with nary a complaint or even much persuasion. 

Yeah that was strange. Everything about him just seems phony to me in retrospect. I know the world is a big place with all different kinds of people, but his life apparently threads a very strange needle: a guy in a traditionally blue collar profession who is a strict vegetarian and seems utterly perplexed about the idea of anyone taking their religion seriously. Just odd haha.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Kyle is creepy. He gives me stalker vibes. The kind of guy who you try to be nice to at first but doesn’t take the hint. And because you were ever nice, won’t even accept overt rejection. He’s fixated on Shaina’s looks too which doesn’t help.. he’s probably never had a woman in her league pay him any attention (and I actually don’t think Shaina is that great.. she looks hard and the pronounced fake pout only further ages her). Also, a Christian and an atheist can work out just fine as long as there is respect there and the religious one isn’t pushy. My husband and I were both raised Catholic - I’m still devout. He’s an atheist and we are raising our daughter Catholic. He goes to Church with me and never belittles my feelings on the subject. I am open about my feelings of faith but I don’t belittle his beliefs either. I just pray that one day God will soften his heart and I try to lead by example 😇  He may never change his mind and that’s ok.. I’ll always love him and treat him with respect. Anyway, Shaina clearly identified it was an issue for her. Kyle’s problem is he kept minimizing the importance of it.. just because it wasn’t important to him doesn’t mean it’s not to her. 

Shaina is a piece of work. She played coy with Shayne and that doesn’t work with him.. he needs his ego stroked and to know clearly that someone is into him. She panicked when Shayne told her it was too late. I think she accepted from Kyle out of that rejection and maybe hoping she’d get more camera time and get the chance to see Shayne in person and change his mind. Once she laid eyes on Kyle and had to spend time with him she couldn’t even keep up with that charade so she went with plan B.. try to undermine Shayne and Natalie’s relationship. It makes her look even more heinous and I’m embarrassed for her. 

Danielle and Nick are both damaged people who have a lot they need to work through in therapy before getting married to anyone. Danielle has obvious issues of insecurity and I don’t doubt that her mom’s clear drinking problem caused a chaotic and maybe disordered household. Her mom seemed perfectly nice but she really strikes me as a big drinker.  The way they argue shows a lot of immaturity. I understood why Danielle was upset.. she wanted Nick to devote all of his attention after meeting her family to praising them and reassuring her that everything was wonderful. That she needs that so desperately to the point of creating a huge fight out of it just demonstrates that she needs a LOT of therapy before she can love someone. She doesn’t love herself. Nick has some issues too but his aren’t as easy to pinpoint because he’s not as demonstrative about it as Danielle. They are being codependent - always a recipe for disaster.

Mallory just wants Instagram followers and Sal seems to resent her at this point so maybe he does too.

Deepti is a sweetheart and I fear for the hurt and humiliation she’s going to feel when she sees what Shake said about not being attracted to her. Shake was impressive with her family which isn’t surprising as they are so culturally similar. I want to believe he can have a redemption arc but we will see.

Iyanna is such a cutie and Jarrett means well but he gave off major player vibes with that convo with Mallory so I don’t foresee them working out. It makes me sad for Iyanna who has real trauma and therefore legitimate trust issues. 

• Love 7

“Shayne looks so much like Tate Donovan (crossed with Jake Busey).”

So much so!

And Danielle’s mom TALKED SO LOUD!  Omg!  That was one loud family.  

Is Shaina so sure that Shayne is a man of faith?   The only thing we saw of their conversations in the pod was about what they were wearing and how hot he thought a crop top was.  

Edited by Kerrey92
  • Love 5
On 2/18/2022 at 1:24 PM, Hpmec said:

Something about him does ping my gaydar off as well.   It could be his voice....and...

On 2/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wanted to like Nick, but wow, he's horrible delving into all the drama with such glee.  I'm done with him and he deserves Danielle.

... the fact that he was very eager to get the drama of other couples going.   He did the same thing in Mexico and was very quick to give Danielle the tea before she totally derailed the whole train.    I'd be surprised if they make the altar...and if they do, I don't see it lasting long.

• Love 3

This is my first time posting, so hello everyone!

Shaina is such a vile person. Telling Shayne that his relationship with Natalie is fake when she knows nothing about it and then getting mad because Natalie told her finance about the other guy she has for her. She needs to go away!

I thought I liked Nick but he is a gossipy little man and pot stirrer. It is not a good look for him. Him and Danielle are doomed. She needs to get a grip.

• Love 11
On 2/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Shaina is such a horrible, no good, terrible, awful person.  Extremely manipulative, deceptive, awful.

Shaina truly is a horrible person. She says she’s a Christian yet she’s backstabbing, manipulative and totally selfish. She doesn’t want Shane. She just wants to stir up drama because someone else took a guy she could have had a fling with. Also, if she’s so Christian why was she so sexually forward with Shane in the pod dates talking about how she can have sex more then 5 times a day and she’s fine with public sex and stuff. Isn’t sex before marriage kind of a sin???? She needs to reevaluate Christianity and the Bible she says she loves so much and maybe not be so promiscuous??? It’s like these people who are so anti-gay yet all they do is sleep around, drink, curse and treat everyone around them like crap. Such great examples of what a Christian should be. 🙄🙄🙄

side note: I don’t agree with that because I’m agnostic but I hate hypocrisy and so called “Christians” who only become Christian when it suits them. 

Edited by Airy2021
  • Love 13

I think Shaina looks like a ferret.  And did her mom meet her daughter's "fiancé" wearing...her pajamas and a robe?

OK what is up with Nick and Danielle and the balloon animals??  There was one on the nightstand in the hotel in Mexico, and I just spotted one on the kitchen island during the meet-Danielle's-family segment.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3