Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Old Friends

jewel21
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

No cable right now - will SyFy show the episodes?

It looks like it will, from what I can see on my listings.

----

I loved this episode. I don't even know if I want to comment on specifics because I'm afraid I'll just be gushing about every moment.

• Love 9

I watched two different recaps to refresh my memory of Season 1 and there were still things I couldn't remember. Who was the other blonde girl who was trying to look like D'Arcy with the hair coloring? What happened to the Gov't agents who were working with Linda Hamilton to find the alien, and what happened to her either? What happened to Ethan? 

As always, a tour de force for Alan Tudyk. All the Law and Order stuff was hysterical. So glad this show is back.

• Love 5

I am not sure about some of the s1 details, either. I think Ethan got beat up by the mayor and his wife, and he's now in hiding so they don't identify him? He was one of the agents, wasn't he? Except... that doesn't track with Asta expecting him at work, so now I'm confused. 

Not sure we know what happened to the other agent. No idea who the blonde is who's imitating D'Arcy.

I was just rolling with the loose ends, figuring they'd explain it as the season goes on, like with the "who is the sheriff grieving?" question.

I love this little show. I didn't realize how much I needed this in my life right now. So many great lines, absurd scenes, and I'm still laughing at Harry running out of the restaurant with the octopus, lmao. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I watched two different recaps to refresh my memory of Season 1 and there were still things I couldn't remember. Who was the other blonde girl who was trying to look like D'Arcy with the hair coloring? What happened to the Gov't agents who were working with Linda Hamilton to find the alien, and what happened to her either? What happened to Ethan?

The other blonde gal is Judy, D'Arcy's frenemy. They insult each other (usually about who is the bigger slut) whenever they meet other but are otherwise affectionate. The male government agent was hiding out in Ethan's house at the end. As for Linda Hamilton, it's obvious but I will spoiler code it anyhow:

Spoiler

She'll be back.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I am not sure about some of the s1 details, either. I think Ethan got beat up by the mayor and his wife, and he's now in hiding so they don't identify him? He was one of the agents, wasn't he? Except... that doesn't track with Asta expecting him at work, so now I'm confused.

Ethan was the other town doctor. The government agents kidnapped him in a case of mistaken identity.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I was super distracted by going from winter (or even just late winter) to summer in like a day. But other than that, I'm so glad this show is back!

I saw Nathan Fillion's name in the credits at the beginning, and it took me until the very end of the episode to realize he was the voice of Harry's octopus-alien friend. Was he the voice in S1? Or is that new? Either way, it didn't seem like a one-time appearance, so I assume he'll be sticking around.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, redpencil said:

I was super distracted by going from winter (or even just late winter) to summer in like a day. But other than that, I'm so glad this show is back!

I saw Nathan Fillion's name in the credits at the beginning, and it took me until the very end of the episode to realize he was the voice of Harry's octopus-alien friend. Was he the voice in S1? Or is that new? Either way, it didn't seem like a one-time appearance, so I assume he'll be sticking around.

He was the voice in Season 1.  I hope the octopus shows up more often in season 2. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Ethan was the other town doctor. The government agents kidnapped him in a case of mistaken identity.

The "people" told the government agents that Ethan was the alien they were looking for, so the government agents kidnapped him.

I didn't find this episode very funny, I did like the tail on the Mayor's wife, although it should have been a horse's tail. There were a few funny parts like Harry stealing the octopus and Sahar bumping her head on the space ship.

I guess they were trying to set up some kind of story line for this season. Harry's stay in the hospital went on for far too long. I am surprised they couldn't tell he was an alien, I guess the transformation turns him completely human, I wonder why Harry Alien didn't get Harry Human's knowledge and memories.

• Love 1

I was just rolling with the loose ends, figuring they'd explain it as the season goes on, like with the "who is the sheriff grieving?" question.

A son? Brother? Former partner? Gay lover?

Harry's stay in the hospital went on for far too long. I am surprised they couldn't tell he was an alien, I guess the transformation turns him completely human

I don't get this either but they have never really explained how his human disguise works. When he was injured parts of his disguise wore off which is how Asta found out he was an alien. I would think if he's knocked completely unconscious and/or has a concussion the disguise would wear off completely. It seems to be more of a mental projection than an actual physical transformation, given how Max can see his true form.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It seems to be more of a mental projection than an actual physical transformation, given how Max can see his true form.

But it has to be at least partially a physical transformation... when we've seen Harry in his full, original form he's much taller and his human clothes wouldn't fit. Max sees his alien face and hands, and therefore doesn't know what Harry "looks like" to other people. I think this was demonstrated last season when they did a photo array and he couldn't pick out Harry (Alan Tudyk). But then, was that a photo of HumanHarry, or...? And if a photo was taken of AlienHarry  would Max see it as human or alien? Would other people see his "real" face, since a Mental Projection shouldn't work on a camera? Lots of questions.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Probably the brother whose murder he never managed to solve.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised they couldn't tell he was an alien, I guess the transformation turns him completely human, I wonder why Harry Alien didn't get Harry Human's knowledge and memories.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get this either but they have never really explained how his human disguise works. When he was injured parts of his disguise wore off which is how Asta found out he was an alien. I would think if he's knocked completely unconscious and/or has a concussion the disguise would wear off completely. It seems to be more of a mental projection than an actual physical transformation, given how Max can see his true form.

3 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

But it has to be at least partially a physical transformation... when we've seen Harry in his full, original form he's much taller and his human clothes wouldn't fit. Max sees his alien face and hands, and therefore doesn't know what Harry "looks like" to other people. I think this was demonstrated last season when they did a photo array and he couldn't pick out Harry (Alan Tudyk). But then, was that a photo of HumanHarry, or...? And if a photo was taken of AlienHarry  would Max see it as human or alien? Would other people see his "real" face, since a Mental Projection shouldn't work on a camera? Lots of questions.

Lol. Y’all should come over to the Ghosts forum, where we have a whole thread dedicated to working out what skills and powers the ghosts do and don’t have. Maybe we need a similar one here. 

• LOL 4

I actually liked that the episode was a mix of plot advancement and just wallowing in the absurdity. I put the shenanigans at the hospital "going on too long" as the latter. A lot of the humor on this show is from the alien vs earthling interactions, and the edge they travel between misunderstandings on both sides, and Harry being in the know vs the earthlings being clueless.

The plot about killing everyone, and the multiple factions at war (aliens vs govt operatives) is kind of a drag, in my opinion, so I like it when they spend more time on the locals having adventures and the dynamic between Harry and the various locals. The kids are somehow way more enjoyable on this show than most, as well. They manage to not activate my "annoying moppets" and "precocious brats" buttons, and I don't know why because they sure seem like they ought to.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

It just struck me while watching this ep that Harry's back and forth appearance as human/alien basically mirrors the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.  Hobbes is seen as a real tiger in all panels where no humans appear.  In human panels, Hobbes is just a small stuffed toy.  Seeing the toy version of Hobbes always evokes a touch of sadness in me.  I could not care less about Harry and jhjios*(*(jnko IJSKOSHJ62782893H kosjiosji (approximate spelling of the alien name) appearances.

The original alien would have been completely obsessed over its loss of memory and any interactions it had with humans which may give away his mission.  Now, anything goes.  Meh.

I really want to buy into the quirky and easy-going Patience.  Unfortunately, genuine menace is everywhere and folks get hurt.  Real hurt.  Brigadoon?  If only.  

The gill reveal was fun.  Vague resemblance to the creature from the black lagoon.

I'm shocked that nobody mentioned the potential eye-arrhea from the "sewage leak".  For me, it's now legendary.

Edit: Decided to say more.

I am not as enamored with the writing this season, or maybe it's the directing.  Some things are a mystery and I'm not sure if they're intentionally so or just poorly done. Regarding the initial crash scene, I'm thinking, huh, what happened, as they're flashing around.   Later we do get some blanks filled in, but they should have helped us understand initially that all of the information wasn't there.

Spoiler

But I also think there's some more about that night that Harry has forgotten, rather than just the crash, because in the flashback later where he was carrying Max, he looked fine. How did he get that bump on his head? Maybe Harry is the reason for Ethan's fear.

Edited by TWP
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I loved how the older kids didn't question why the younger kids were in charge, and not wearing protective gear, to prevent "eye-arrhea" in themselves. 

Definitely a sign that the youngers were more on the ball.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TWP said:

But I also think there's some more about that night that Harry has forgotten, rather than just the crash, because in the flashback later where he was carrying Max, he looked fine. How did he get that bump on his head? Maybe Harry is the reason for Ethan's fear.

I am not sure why this needed to be in spoilers, but there is a blue spot on Harry Alien, approximately where the head injury is on Harry Human. I think you are right that there is some more about that night that Harry has forgotten. Harry Alien is the one that leaves the ship carrying Max in his four arms, which suggests that he had enough sense/memory to carry Max back to his house. Why he is in Harry Human form wandering naked by the side on the road with no memory may be revealed later.

Your comment about Ethan seems plausible, but not really necessary to explain why (not Ethan, Doctor Ethan Stone (Michael Cassidy) was the doctor that replaced Doctor Harry Human) Lieutenant David Logan (Alex Barima) member of the Government alien hunting squad was scared and hiding in Doctor Ethan Stone's house. Lieutenant David Logan was just beaten up by the Mayor and his wife, then almost killed by the Government alien hunting squad that he was working for. Lieutenant David Logan knew that Doctor Ethan Stone's house would be empty because Lieutenant David Logan as part of the Government alien hunting squad kidnapped Doctor Ethan Stone, believing Doctor Ethan Stone to be an alien.

• Useful 3

The “eye-arrhea” thing made me snort. Plainly the two older guys were not the sharpest crayons in the box!

Loved the mayor swaggering around town the morning after and putting his boot up on the sheriff’s desk. The thing with him and his wife still being so turned on is hilarious, but it will start getting really cringeworthy if it goes on for much longer, especially in public.

Speaking of the sheriff, it was nice to see him giving Liv more respect. I was afraid that was going to be a really short-lived thing last season. Liv should get a little more of a storyline IMO.

I think the reason Harry was found wandering naked was because he didn’t have any “Harry” clothes with him on the ship. He didn’t expect to need them since he wasn’t planning to come back.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, skotnikov said:

As much as I enjoyed the 1st season, I just couldn't watch this episode till the end. It seems to me that the spark is gone 😥   

That is a shame because the best moment of the episode is towards the end. Did you watch the scene where Asta disturbs Harry while he is thinking in the water? It's so funny!  🤣I had to rewatch multiple times.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

To me, the funniest was Harry/Lenny Brisco asking Asta if he needed to contact Stabler and Benson.  What cracked me up about the Mayor and his wife was that they just happened to have bondage gear, and a fake horse tail around the house?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

That is a shame because the best moment of the episode is towards the end. Did you watch the scene where Asta disturbs Harry while he is thinking in the water? It's so funny!  🤣I had to rewatch multiple times.

Yes, I watched it to the end after all. I just find any given moment of the 1st season much funnier than that :))) I only hope they'll improve as the season goes.   

• Love 2

I thought the best part was in the beginning explaining how Harry's first friend on earth was a dog who taught him everything, cutting to a shot of alien Harry scooting along on his rump through the forest.  But then I'm 13 at heart...

Or the Sheriff throwing out ideas of how Harry could have killed the severed foot person, but all his ideas included additional pairs of arms.  Which of course is how alien Harry killed original Harry.

I guess I never noticed that the Sheriff always wears black and the Deputy always wears brown.  Guess it's choose your own uniform time in the Patience PD.

Don't kill #42 Harry!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

The Max/Harry interactions are always my favorite. Loved the part at the end with the “I know you are, but what am I?” Max is such a little shit, LOL.

For a laugh, I watched that scene from season one where Harry calls Max and pretends to be his friend “Elvis” from school. Harry is telling the kid that he saw the alien leaving on a bus. Max questions “are you sure it was him?” and Harry responds with “yes, he was very handsome. Like a young Jerry Orbach.” 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

4 arms. no wait, 6 is better. i was rolling. 

so glad the show is back. love #42 and so happy they didn't go for the cheap laugh of showing him on a plate for dinner. 

so did  see it correctly, harry saved max during the crash? that scene was confusing.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

so did  see it correctly, harry saved max during the crash? that scene was confusing.

Yes, Harry Alien covers Max with his body and then probably carried Max out of the space ship to his home and tucked him into bed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It looked like Harry just put Max down on the ground next to the ship.  Either way, Harry definitely protected Max as the ship was crashing.  I liked the beginning with the road trip analogy in the SUV.

I was very glad that #42 (42?  Life, the universe, and everything?) restored Harry's memory as soon as he did.  The memory loss thing would have gotten old really fast.

Eye-arrhea had me in stitches.  And Max, "Is that true?"  

Last season, someone -- I don't remember who, maybe Max? -- told the agents that the doctor was the alien, so the agents apprehended Ethan.  Still, it's a little weird that Ethan's house is basically empty, with hardly any furniture, even.  

TBS had a marathon recently.  I probably should have watched it.  But I am so glad this show is back!  Alan Tudyk is perfect as Harry.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was very glad that #42 (42?  Life, the universe, and everything?) restored Harry's memory as soon as he did.  The memory loss thing would have gotten old really fast.

I can’t imagine that wasn’t on purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Number 42? Is that octopus going to be the meaning of life? 

I love this show, I'm so glad that its back. Harry poignantly thinking about the nature of memory and how it makes someone human, followed up by him frantically running out of a building holding a big octopus, is just this show in a nutshell. 

• Love 5

I thought the Mayor getting his confidence was cute, but the scenes of he and his wife being horny in public was cringey. When they were doing it in front of Max was down right gross.

I'm probably over thinking it, but Max is probably mature for his age because his parents are nincompoops and he has to fend for himself alot. Generally speaking, Max seems smarter than his parents already. I genuinely liked them last season. I hope this changes and his parents have some type of maturity spurt.

Every scene with Max and/or Satar is wonderful. The two of them and Harry are my favorite characters by far on this show.

Loved the scenes with Asta and Darcy. It's so rare in tv (and especially comedies) to show true friendship between two women.

This is one of the few shows that makes me laugh out loud. The humor juxtaposed with Harry learning what it means to be human and make your own family is so thoughtful and sweet.

I'm so glad it's back. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 3
On 1/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I really want to buy into the quirky and easy-going Patience. 

Patience is filmed in Ladysmith Vancouver Island Canada. And comes with Pamela Anderson Lee, who I hope will turn up at some point, perhaps as the owner of a vegan cafe who gives refuge to #42 octupus.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:16 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

• Useful 1
On 2/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

They showed blood on a rock, so I just assumed Harry slipped and fell while carrying Max, but still managed to get him home.  Or fell after, I guess.

When they were at the ball field, Max told Asta he woke up on the ground beside the invisible spaceship.

I'm wondering if they'll tie up the S1 loose end of the pictures taken at the aliencon? The pictures taken when Harry was attempting to stab that woman to retrieve alien tech -that she admitted was just a bb.

I flove this show! It's so quirky and there's so much going on all at once.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, Browncoat said:

Last season, someone -- I don't remember who, maybe Max? -- told the agents that the doctor was the alien, so the agents apprehended Ethan.  Still, it's a little weird that Ethan's house is basically empty, with hardly any furniture, even.  

I think there may be more going on with Ethan than meets the eye.

• Useful 1
On 1/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, meep.meep said:

Or the Sheriff throwing out ideas of how Harry could have killed the severed foot person, but all his ideas included additional pairs of arms.  Which of course is how alien Harry killed original Harry.

I guess I never noticed that the Sheriff always wears black and the Deputy always wears brown.  Guess it's choose your own uniform time in the Patience PD.

Don't kill #42 Harry!

Remember he calls himself Big Black and sheriff's are elected. Putting his deputies into a different uniform makes him stand out even more for the next election

• Love 2
On 2/2/2022 at 6:14 AM, Catfi9ht said:

I thought the Mayor getting his confidence was cute, but the scenes of he and his wife being horny in public was cringey. When they were doing it in front of Max was down right gross.

Catching up to this show ... the mayor and his wife are more annoying every episode. In the first season, it seemed like the mayor was wishy washy and insecure and the wife passively aggressively resented it. Never mind that the guy managed to become mayor, which, unless his dad was the prior mayor, requires at least some confidence and ability.

Anyway, now they act like latent vampires, transfixed by blood and violence, and weirdly full of themselves. The being horny stuff actually didn't bother me. Having kids often takes that from a relationship, it's healthy that they have it after all the dithering, even if the cause is weird.

I appreciate the show for its farce and absurdity. Logic doesn't belong here, not even in the characters' choices and actions. But why make two characters so annoying? Especially when they seemed to fix the sheriff at the end of last season?

On 1/30/2022 at 12:38 PM, Browncoat said:

Last season, someone -- I don't remember who, maybe Max? -- told the agents that the doctor was the alien, so the agents apprehended Ethan.

Just catching up with this show 2 years later on Netflix, and the question of who told the agents that the doctor was an alien may no longer matter. But last season when the government agents were questioning / threatening Max, at some point (can't remember if it was before or after the parents attacked them) one of them was holding a drawing Max had made of the alien in a doctor's white coat. And I think one of the agents said Max told them where the alien was. I seriously doubt that Max gave them Harry's name, so I think the agents drew the wrong conclusion (that the alien was the new/current town doctor) based on the drawing.

• Useful 1