Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Shock & Thaw

• Start Topic

As the unexpected arctic cold front and ice storm continues to cause havoc in Austin, Owen works to rescue the lives of the stranded migrants. T.K.'s life hangs in the balance and Grace prepares for the birth of her baby.

Airdate: 01/24/2022

When is this arc going to end?? I hate winter and I hate watching this crap.

The best part of this episode was Roy Orbison singing.

ETA: and there's going to be at least another week of this.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 10

If these Hollywood writers are going to do stories involving weather, I wish they knew how it worked. None of those people were dressed for a two mile walk in a white-out blizzard. They would have been frost-bitten within the first quarter mile, and dead by the end of the first mile. On top of that, the snow is coming down like crazy and yet there's barely an inch on the ground. How long has this storm been going on? Long enough for the fire fighters to rescue Paul and the girl trapped in the collapsed shelter, and get both of them to the hospital. Long enough for Grace to finish her shift and get home and then head out again. Long enough for Owen to walk two miles and back again. And still not enough snow on the ground. This just isn't the right setting to do this story in the first place.

I also loved how they took down the bad guy and then the police came (?) and everyone is sitting outside at Owen's cabin. In a white-out blizzard. And their faces are barely even rosy. And then two boys show up and Marjan says the mother hasn't seen her sons in 20 years? Did I hear that right? How did she even recognize them? They didn't even look much older than 20. 

I guess points for effort but this just isn't playing out in a believable way. They bit off more than they can chew with this drawn-out story.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I couldn't figure out any reason for Owen and Marjan to be cheerfully dueting on "Breakdown" unless their vehicle was going to actually, you know, break down.

Enough with this endless ice storm already! Also why is everyone just driving around in that weather like it's nothing? It's Austin, not Buffalo.

• Love 5

I feel like this whole ice storm is written by people who don't really encounter snow storms that much. Sure, it's Texas, so people wouldn't exactly be prepared for the weather. But they were all still walking around in tiny, flimsy jackets. There's barely any snow on the actual ground, and people seem way too calm about the actual storm. 

So, they almost went a route where Owen was gonna be the White Saviour to the group of people in the barn. Luckily, they had Marjan get involved and actually save the day, so phew on that one. But still, rather ridiculous plot that ended in song. But it was nice to see Owen and Marjan interact. It's always nice when Owen interacts with someone not TK, Tommy, or a love interest. 

Speaking of TK, his coma stuff is weird. So lemme get this straight, his comatose brain is telling him that he either can stay and make cookies with his mom in dream world or....go back to the real world and make cookies with his mom. I don't get the dilemma. They probably should have had his comatose dream about someone else. Maybe his ex-boyfriend from the pilot? Maybe him dreaming about a life that could have been? Or a dead friend? Something more unattainable that actually requires a difficult choice? Because TK can literally go make cookies with his mom when he wakes up. Sure, she has to find time to fly back, but it's not like it's impossible. 

I'm guessing Paul's new rich friend's dad is gonna help save the 126, along with Billy, who is now probably gonna be Grace's doctor while she delivers the baby! I love Grace, but she's so stupidly stubborn sometimes. So, she decides that she's gonna drive her own car while in active labour and hope she doesn't crash? And of course Lightning Struck Billy is gonna deliver this baby to get back into the 126's good graces. 

Man, this show is just barely entertaining for me. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, she decides that she's gonna drive her own car while in active labour and hope she doesn't crash?

And before this↑ standing on a six foot ladder painting walls where she almost fell. As soon as she said to the co-worker that she wasn't due for another two weeks, you had to know that would be followed up with some ridiculous "delivery drama." 

• Love 11

Grace reading Billy for trash was the highlight of the episode for me. Girl can hold a grudge! I am not looking forward to 'Billy saves the baby so all is well again'.  Meh.

I do love Rob Lowe - he's the reason I watch the show - so Owen bugs me a lot less than most. And I gotta say, that head-butt was all kinds of awesome, and I loved the whole (paraphrased) 'Does your head hurt? Good! So does mine' thing.

I agree that Paul's benefactors are going to save the 126.  I am pretty much over damsel-in-distress TK. It would be a good storyline if they actually did kill him off, but NOT if they are going to have Tommy feeling guilty and/or Owen blaming her. That goes for if/when he lives, too.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

If these Hollywood writers are going to do stories involving weather, I wish they knew how it worked. None of those people were dressed for a two mile walk in a white-out blizzard. They would have been frost-bitten within the first quarter mile, and dead by the end of the first mile. On top of that, the snow is coming down like crazy and yet there's barely an inch on the ground. How long has this storm been going on? Long enough for the fire fighters to rescue Paul and the girl trapped in the collapsed shelter, and get both of them to the hospital. Long enough for Grace to finish her shift and get home and then head out again. Long enough for Owen to walk two miles and back again. And still not enough snow on the ground. This just isn't the right setting to do this story in the first place.

I watch this show just for laughs and some hate to the propaganda behind it. It is written to promote "christian values", disguised in diversity acceptance but I digress. 

I was laughing at these exact things you pointed out. People don't go out during a blizzard, period. In this show not only they carry out as if it is just a flurry, they do it with ease. The poor immigrants were told they could not walk in that storm, but then they sit outside just hanging, there was no urgency among the paramedics to, I don't know, save lives. I hate Grace and I wish she would just die. TK too, what a useless character, so bland and no personality. But it is always good to see Billy Burke snarking his way through a bad show. Paycheck is paycheck, at least he keeps his sense of humor.

• Love 1

At the very end, Grace was pulling into a parking lot (I think?) and then my recording cut off. Did I miss anything, please?

It wasn't a parking lot. There were a lot of abandoned cars in the middle of the street blocking her way. Billy told her to turn around and go another way but she tried to drive around them instead and got stuck in the snow. That's where it ended.

Speaking of TK, his coma stuff is weird. So lemme get this straight, his comatose brain is telling him that he either can stay and make cookies with his mom in dream world or....go back to the real world and make cookies with his mom. I don't get the dilemma. 

This whole coma-dream world gimmick has been done to death on TV. It's not suspenseful, it's lazy. TK should either die right away or be OK right away. The show has grossly overestimated our investment in this.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

It wasn't a parking lot. There were a lot of abandoned cars in the middle of the street blocking her way. Billy told her to turn around and go another way but she tried to drive around them instead and got stuck in the snow. That's where it ended.

Thank you! I hate it when shows run long just to thwart DVRs.

And I agree that the show has grossly overestimated our investment not just in the coma plot, but in Evil Billy, 126 drama, and this f*%$ing ice storm.

• Love 5

Longest ice storm ever.  Seems I'm not the first to notice this. 😆

Does it go all season long? Does anyone know?  

Also, I wonder about TK's mom being in heaven with him.  Something we don't know yet?  

Edited by cardigirl
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Did Strand just leave his love interest out at the cabin?

Can she just go back to her own cabin and never be heard from again, please?

Meanwhile, IRL, where I live, the blizzard has been going on for 2 weeks now, and my daughter had a fraught baby delivery.

13 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And then two boys show up and Marjan says the mother hasn't seen her sons in 20 years? Did I hear that right? How did she even recognize them? They didn't even look much older than 20. 

I did some post-watch fanwanking on that poorly edited bit and decided the immigrant mom had her kids when she was 17 and 18. They came over the border when they were 5 and 6. She's now 40-ish; they're mid-20s. And by having "not seen" them in 20 years, that's not counting What's App, so they easily recognized each other in the blinding snow.
But, still, how did they get to Owen's cabin in the middle of a blizzard when even the road to the hospital is blocked with abandoned cars? Yeah. I got nothin' for that one. Not to mention, how did the CB radio person even communicate with them to tell them to show up at Strand's cabin????
Clearly the script editors came down with Covid and nobody replaced them.

56 minutes ago, circumvent said:

But it is always good to see Billy Burke snarking his way through a bad show.

Yes, but it seems like there was some clause that only allows Billy Burke to get half a snark per episode lest he compete with Rob Lowe, and even then:
½ Billy Burke snark = 30 seconds Rob Lowe singing with his dog and a pretty young woman

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, they almost went a route where Owen was gonna be the White Saviour to the group of people in the barn. Luckily, they had Marjan get involved and actually save the day, so phew on that one. But still, rather ridiculous plot that ended in song. But it was nice to see Owen and Marjan interact. It's always nice when Owen interacts with someone not TK, Tommy, or a love interest. 

Baby steps.

• LOL 2
30 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but it seems like there was some clause that only allows Billy Burke to get half a snark per episode lest he compete with Rob Lowe, and even then:
½ Billy Burke snark = 30 seconds Rob Lowe singing with his dog and a pretty young woman

Yes. I like Rob Lowe, a little, but he is too overrated. I all for letting Owen in the cabin and letting Billy's character be the new captain. Maybe he will then start calling out the goody-good-people. Maybe the show gets a little bit more interested. I know, it's not going to happen. the 9-1-1 franchise is all about love thy neighbor, praise god and be the happiest family of perfect people ever.

13 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Yes. I like Rob Lowe, a little, but he is too overrated. I all for letting Owen in the cabin and letting Billy's character be the new captain. Maybe he will then start calling out the goody-good-people. Maybe the show gets a little bit more interested. I know, it's not going to happen. the 9-1-1 franchise is all about love thy neighbor, praise god and be the happiest family of perfect people ever.

Well, it is set in Texas, even though it's Austin.  Bound to be a few characters that are church involved. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Bound to be a few characters that are church involved. 

Every American show has "a few" character that are church involved or who, at least, mentions the importance of god in their lives. It is the constant proselytizing in this show that annoys me. With all the diversity*, there is no atheist representation (sarcasm). Maybe they will make Billy Burke an atheist and say that's why  he is so meanie mean, then the will have his come to Jesus moment and be invited into the Happy Family of Family Values*

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Every American show has "a few" character that are church involved or who, at least, mentions the importance of god in their lives. It is the constant proselytizing in this show that annoys me. With all the diversity*, there is no atheist representation (sarcasm). Maybe they will make Billy Burke an atheist and say that's why  he is so meanie mean, then the will have his come to Jesus moment and be invited into the Happy Family of Family Values*

I don't really find that to be true, and I rather enjoy hearing it on 911: Lone Star, because I think they have the tone correct. I don't watch the other 911 show, so can't comment on its content. Other shows I watch rarely mention faith. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Other shows I watch rarely mention faith. 

All shows mention god at one point or another. Not necessarily the main cast but the recurrent characters or guest actors. It is not the mention of faith, openly, that annoys me. It is the sneaky way of doing so. That's part of the propagandizing, of subliminal messages to a large audience. It is: look, we have black, Muslims, transgender, latino and women in power. God loves everyone! 

It is annoying, to me

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, circumvent said:

All shows mention god at one point or another. Not necessarily the main cast but the recurrent characters or guest actors. It is not the mention of faith, openly, that annoys me. It is the sneaky way of doing so. That's part of the propagandizing, of subliminal messages to a large audience. It is: look, we have black, Muslims, transgender, latino and women in power. God loves everyone! 

It is annoying, to me

Thanks for the clarification, I get it.  I would say that it works two ways with subliminal messaging. Non-representation is bad for everyone. 

• Love 3

ok we got it Texas was hit with the storm last year and we need to milk it. But the snow in Texas last year lasted shorter than two episodes of this show... 

At least the writers realize how ridiculously they are treating TK and his "frequent flier miles" at the hospital (coma mom joke)

I mean i know southern people don't really know how to handle snowstorms and cold weather, but even they would know that whatever people are wearing in that blizzard isn't gonna last longer than 5 minutes. But suddenly all the major characters are competent winter drivers. or they are stupid and overly confident. 99 out of 100 midwestern drivers  would be like... eehhhh... i'll just stay in, don't really need to give birth THAT badly lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

There should definitely be more snow on the ground if it's been coming down this long. I think it's only 2 days in show time, and people not used to snow don't know how to handle what would be a small amount by northern standards, but if it came down for 2 days there'd have to be a lot more than they're showing.

Our Heroes mostly come from elsewhere-- the crew was assembled by Owen pulling from elsewhere-- so some of them would be able to drive in snow-- Owen, for sure; he comes from NY. Marjan is from FL and she ran off the road, so that tracks. I'm not seeing good driving in general-- that's why the road was full of skidded cars when Grace was trying to get through (surprising they didn't hit each other and cause a blood bath, though).

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I didn’t understand why they couldn’t have found some way to tell Owen that his son was dying and what about the mom? Even if she couldn’t fly out due to weather they could have shown her getting a phone call. And it just seemed weird to see Owen joking around and singing duets while his son is in organ failure. And Grace is a sensible person; she wouldn’t be standing on a ladder or trying to drive herself to the hospital in a storm. I’m tired of the storm and hope it finished up soon. Like everyone said these characters would not be able to hang around outside without freezing; Marjan in particular was just hanging around outside after being stuck outside for a day at least.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, circumvent said:

Every American show has "a few" character that are church involved or who, at least, mentions the importance of god in their lives.

As a non-American who watches a lot of US television shows, this is something I have began to notice a lot - even in reruns of old shows that I didn't notice as a child. The upside is it's just played off as a 'normal' aspect for the character (typically) but compared to the shows produced in my country (Australia) is seems odd that so many characters are religious. I say that because we very rarely have our characters visit churches to talk (churches seem to exist for weddings and funerals) and if someone is religious most of the characters decide to be a bit weary of them because basically the character is the most wholesome and pure person in the world because of religion. I only mention this as a difference in ways characters are written in different countries - in America being religious is just one feature of the the character but in Australia it's often used as the defining trait of the character. But it does make it feel like the US is way more religious than Australia.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, auntiemel said:

HOW IS THIS STORM *STILL* GOING ON????

Heh. I've been asking myself that IRL here in Rochester NY.
But, meanwhile back in Lone Star Land: Do we know how long is this supposed to have been going on? A couple of days?
If they showed some folks gathered around a TV watching the weather alert in which an exposition fairy dressed up as a reporter in a blizzard gave the latest on the storm, I missed it.
Heck, if they even had dialog using words like "yesterday" or "2 days ago," I missed it.

How long, in show, has this storm been going on? It feels like forever.  I lived in Syracuse in '93 during the Great Blizzard where we got pummeled with 44 inches of snow in two days and it didn't feel this dramatic.

I am so over Owen being some damn hero all the time.  At least Marjan was there, but still, how many times can Owen face off with someone with a gun? 

Am I wrong for not caring about TK?  Like, at all?  I literally don;t care if he dies.  Also his stupid dream was stupid.  Just another excuse to bring Lisa Edelstein.  And now that he is on life support we are gonna get more of their family drama.  Sigh.  Why can't the show just do rescues and put out fires? And give us good personal stories?

Best parts of the show were Grace and Billy.  He is a horribly written character and yet I can't hate on Billy too much.  I loved him exorting Grace to eat a sandwich.  LOL. 

I also liked the hospital scene with the rich people trying to gift Paul all the stuff. That blanket did look warm!  Mateo and Judd made for good comedy partners.

But yeah... I am so over this stupid storm.

• Love 7

ok we got it Texas was hit with the storm last year and we need to milk it. But the snow in Texas last year lasted shorter than two episodes of this show... 

The cold snap in Texas last year did not result in a white-out blizzard either, as far as I know.

There should definitely be more snow on the ground if it's been coming down this long. I think it's only 2 days in show time, and people not used to snow don't know how to handle what would be a small amount by northern standards, but if it came down for 2 days there'd have to be a lot more than they're showing.

Has it been 2 days? I was under the impression the first three episodes all took place on the same day. If it's actually been 2 that's even worse. There should be way more snow on the ground by now. 

Also his stupid dream was stupid.  Just another excuse to bring Lisa Edelstein.  And now that he is on life support we are gonna get more of their family drama.  

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post. I've watched this exact same scenario play out countless times on other TV shows. Someone on the brink of death, existing in a dream world, where a loved one is urging them to "fight." Hell Grey's Anatomy spent an entire season doing this with Meredith.

The only problem here is that TK's mom is still alive, as far as I know. Usually the trope calls for a dead loved one to guest star in the dream sequence and urge the person on the brink of death to fight to live. Maybe when TK wakes up he'll find out his mother died.

A fourth episode on this damn storm. Ugh. This is awful. Nearly every member of the 126 has had some life or death situation in one storm. Enough. 

One thing I did like was Jud saying Marwani probably just holed up with the captain to ride out the storm. Yes. BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT SMART NORMAL PEOPLE DO IN A MAJOR WINTER STORM. 

Why is everyone driving around in it? Insanity.

• Love 3

Echoing other posters here, I really want this snow storm arc to be over. Four episodes, at least, is just too long. And especially for a show that's starting midseason, and has an 18-episode season order. And I thought the blackout arc on 911 was tired. 

Yes, I get how Grace hates Billy, and he is a tool, and she loves to be self-reliant.. But your water has just broken and your are going into labor, and you want to drive yourself to the hospital, in a white-out blizzard? Where is the logic in that? She has to understand that it's not just her life she's putting at risk, and it might be a good thing to let go of her pride and let Billy help. It's the very least he could be doing for you.

I love T.K., but his story is dragging on and on. Either live or die. Really could do without the inner-coma reality. It was already overused with Meredith Grey last year, And of course Owen has to always be the hero, and has to save everyone. What else is new?

• Love 2

How is this blizzard still going? I know that this franchise loves its big season opening two parters, but this is just ridiculous. Do we really need four episodes of this? Especially considering half of this melodrama isn't even happening on the job, its just random drama the characters stumble into. 

Even TK's subconscious is over his many brushes with death. I don't get why his dream mom is tempting him with cookies to get him to stay dead, his mom is still alive, he can just fly to New York and make cookies with his mom without dying. 

You can tell the writers have very little knowledge of snow, I know that this is a rare thing in Texas, but cant people at least put on a decently heavy coat? 

I did like some things. Owen's story was pretty pointless, but I liked him and Marjan teaming up, they don't get a lot of one on one time. I thought the scene where Paul was being showered with gifts by the rich family of the girl he saved was funny and cute, normally I would say they were making Mateo sound stupid when he thought that they needed to kill sheep to get their fur, but I recently explained to a friend that you don't need to kill reindeer to get their antlers, they just shed naturally, so it just made me laugh. I also loved Grace reading Billy for filth while going into labor for all of his shadiness, Grace makes everything better.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The cold snap in Texas last year did not result in a white-out blizzard either, as far as I know.

It did not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Texas_power_crisis#Power_outages

The big issue was not snow but extremely low temperatures and that there were several icy blasts that rolled through over a series of 10 days. Snow was a minor issue compared to everyone's power going out right when everyone's water pipes froze.

Probably the only really accurate moment was the 911 call center being quiet because the cell towers were down. 

Eta: While I appreciate the show acknowledging TJ being a death magnet, I'm honestly going to be annoyed if he comes out of organ failure with a full recovery where he never has a health issue again. Until, you know, the next season opener where Buttercup gets rabies and mauls him in front of Carlos.

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2

@EllaWycliffe's response arrived after I finished typing the following:

Way to to make a mediocre plot truly stupid and boring, show.

I'm sorry that our Big Chill of February 2021 inspired this incredibly overblown 9-1-1 weather event. Our event was significant, not for its temperatures--every so many years, we can get a week in winter with freezing temps--but for the planned statewide rolling blackouts that, well, failed to roll. So some people lost power for around 4 cold days while some found themselves wondering why they never lost power at all. It seemed to be a 50-50 split for the neighborhoods around me. I guess uncaring, greedy coyotes, frightened illegal immigrants, and deadly blizzard conditions are a lot more exciting than sitting home with frozen (and sometimes bursting) pipes, no electricity, and not enough blankets.

I can forgive Grace for driving herself to the hospital while in labor because, let's face it, she spends her time at work just answering the phone and she probably isn't aware of the kind of emergencies that can arise when there is a deadly blizzard in Austin. Her husband the fireman just puts out the occasional fire and otherwise cooks chili at the firehouse and polishes the truck, so you wouldn't expect her to anticipate a worst-case scenario. Yeah, I'm giving her a pass on her decision.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, mojito said:

I'm sorry that our Big Chill of February 2021 inspired this incredibly overblown 9-1-1 weather event. Our event was significant, not for its temperatures--every so many years, we can get a week in winter with freezing temps--but for the planned statewide rolling blackouts that, well, failed to roll. So some people lost power for around 4 cold days while some found themselves wondering why they never lost power at all. It seemed to be a 50-50 split for the neighborhoods around me. I guess uncaring, greedy coyotes, frightened illegal immigrants, and deadly blizzard conditions are a lot more exciting than sitting home with frozen (and sometimes bursting) pipes, no electricity, and not enough blankets.

I would have liked this snowstorm story SO MUCH more if it had been about people suffering through that very real Texas freeze with freezing pipes, freezing homes, and freezing people calling 911 for help.

I loathe with a passion the story lines that insist on putting all the main characters in peril, episode after episode.  This show is called 911 Lonestar.  Show us the first responders responding to 911 calls in Texas, FFS! 

• Love 7
On 1/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, possibilities said:

I think people living there don't have warmer coats, etc. They should stay home, and not go out in inadequate gear, but not having warmer clothing doesn't surprise me or seem in accurate. 

This is correct! I still don't own heavy jackets nor do my kids. It just isn't a necessary expense when you only may need it for a week or so. Native Texan now living in Georgia. 

• Love 1

I don’t watch this show for reality so it’s easy for me to ignore the ridiculousness that usually occurs. I adore Rob Lowe and the Breakdown bit in the car has sent me on a Tom Petty music marathon. I guess I’m shallow enough that I just enjoy an hour a week of pretty people doing nonsensical stuff, I get enough reality in my real life. And I live in Florida so the snow storm inconsistencies aren’t apparent to me.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, sadie said:

And I live in Florida so the snow storm inconsistencies aren’t apparent to me.

I wonder if we northerners (and Texans) would be muttering less about having to walk uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow to school/work in a long hippie skirt (that last one just me) if they were airing this in the summer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 1/25/2022 at 8:17 AM, preeya said:

And before this↑ standing on a six foot ladder painting walls where she almost fell. As soon as she said to the co-worker that she wasn't due for another two weeks, you had to know that would be followed up with some ridiculous "delivery drama." 

I half expected a malfunctioning elevator to gobble Grace up like Pac-Man as she tried to leave work.

So apparently in the middle of a blizzard that had people freezing solid like Medusa's victims all over his county, this sheriff had nothing to do other than drive around looking for illegal immigrants to murder? Or is that standard top priority for southern Texas law enforcement?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

So apparently in the middle of a blizzard that had people freezing solid like Medusa's victims all over his county, this sheriff had nothing to do other than drive around looking for illegal immigrants to murder? Or is that standard top priority for southern Texas law enforcement?

Heh. Not sure if this is purely gallows humor, Texas style, @Bruinsfan, but:   
I got the impression the sheriff was on the take, getting kickbacks from the coyote(s?), and was in the habit of not leaving anyone alive who might be predisposed to expose him.

So, to Sheriff BadApple, the storm both threw a wrench into his scheme and provided cover for his Final Solution.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

That seems right, but it also seems he'd have a lot of explaining to do about disappearing in the middle of ZOMG!SNOWPOCALYPSE! when the residents of his county would be wrecking their pickups on icy roads or freezing solid on their way to their mailboxes.

I also wonder how many bullets he had in his gun, because that was a LOT of people in Owen's cabin, and he wouldn't even be able to count on each one killing the person it was aimed at. Like, how did he see things going once he fired the first shot in a room full of desperate refugees and assorted witnesses?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4