Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E06: Jonathan Majors / Taylor Swift

• Start Topic

I love that second promo. So much fun. They did cut it off a few seconds earlier than the one that has aired on tv with Aidy (I think) singing a little victory theme.

Taylor said on The Tonight Show a couple of nights ago that she will be singing only one song, but it's roughly 10 minutes. All Too Well?  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I winced at the replica AK47 being part of the cold open -- somewhere between the Rittenhouse trial and the tragedy on the "Rust" set of having a gun on set, it was jarring.  I know it was not a real gun, but I get the sense that even this type of replica is being banned from sets.  

Edited by freddi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, JZL said:

Had to DuckDuckGo/IMDb Jonathan Majors.  Interesting career, will keep an open mind. 

Anyone know when Kate is coming back? (She is coming back, right?)

Strangely, I am not even missing Kate.

• Love 14

The child "Coraline" was hilarious -- the way she crossed her legs and looked like she was in a trance, then the way she celebrated at the end of the sketch, gesturing "I *nailed* it," and taking deep bows.  

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I run so hot and cold on TS. Sometimes I think she's amazing other times I think she's annoying. Tonight I think she's amazing.

I think she sounds off. I can’t believe this song is ten minutes.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, freddi said:

The child "Coraline" was hilarious -- the way she crossed her legs and looked like she was in a trance, then the way she celebrated at the end of the sketch, gesturing "I *nailed* it," and taking deep bows.  

The way she immediately started bowing was adorable.

I know Taylor has her detractors, but I really enjoyed that.

• Love 13

Is it Bring Your Child to Work day?  Bless their hearts.

That said, the Broadway benefit sketch just made me so happy because it's a riff on a song from one of my very favorite, forgotten musicals - I Love My Wife.  The sketch was fine.  The actual show was wonderful.  And just because I like you all, here's the song... 

I'm so glad the show is not totally forgotten.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Cold Open: Going all in on Ted Cruz hating Big Bird this week, I see. Man, Pete is perfect as Joe Rogen. Honestly, I wish "right wing Sesame Street" was pulled off better here, almost every single joke was done to death years ago. (It's 2021 and we're STILL getting Bert & Ernie are gay jokes!). Also worth noting that this is the first cold open all season without James Austin Johnson.

Monologue: I'm not familiar with Jonathan Majors. I thought he did okay here.

The March of The Suitors: I love sketches that use everyone (like the School Board meeting in the premiere), and this was fun. Of course Kyle was the friendzone guy. Kind of a weak ending, even if Punkie was ultimately the winner.

Please Don't Destroy: Leave it to Pete to show these kids how it's done. We would all kill to be called "3 sad virgins" by Taylor Swift.

The Audacity in Advertising Awards: I love that the awards are called "Pepsis" because of that protest commercial they did a while ago. This was a fun one. I know there was an Amazon ad, but they could've referenced the Terry Crews one that made the rounds this week.

The one from The Sacklers made me go "oh dear GOD" when I realized who they were. Well done, show.

Strange Kid Tales: Guaranteed laughs: have Kenan react to things. Adding creepy kids to the mix made it all the better. Coraline being "noped" before she even came on set was perfect.

Man Park: TOO. RELATABLE. I need to go to one. But we DO have Man Parks. They're called Comic Cons.

WU: Man, that Taylor Swift song just went on, didn't it? It did make for a hot crowd, though. I laughed hard at "Giraffery Dahmer."

Sarah Sherman finally got time to shine! The graphic department definitely had fun with this segment. She was great, it was just pure chaos. It's been a while since someone other than Che jumped on the "Cancel Jost" train.

And speaking of newbies getting screentime, loved Aristotle as Laughintosh 3000. It took me a bit to realize that a robot comedian did impressions of apps.

Broadway: Yep, I'd totally see a whole musical starring Bowen and Cecily singing about drugs. It was just the right length, it didn't overstay its welcome, yet I would've loved to see more.

Dog Bones n Melodies: What a weird idea for a sketch. Bone Thugs n Harmonies owning a bone store.

First Damn Baptist Church: I like that Kyle in this sketch was the Hall Pass, instead of the Friendzone (that would be Kenan's character). A fun concept for a sketch.

This episode had its ups and downs, "Great concept, but weak execution" summed this up quite well. But overall I still liked this one. Jonathan Majors tried his best here, he definitely seemed like the type not used to live performances.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 11

This show was good in parts. Update was absolutely rocking, and Sarah Sherman came to slay.

Unfortunately I didn't think Jonathan Majors was all that great. He was a huge bundle of nerves in the monologue and started off talking really, really fast.  And while he was better in the taped pieces, I thought he was pretty stiff. He was stumbling with the dialogue as Jake From State Farm. Talk about a character due for a ripe parody.  He didn't get to lead any of the sketches, either. 

I did appreciate that the Cold Open didn't feel watered down this time. Cecily's part was especially vicious. Love her.

I think the Please Don't Destroy guys are unofficially in the cast. It's just that there are already too many people in the credits as cast members. But they have more screentime than some others this season so far.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Dog Bones n Melodies: What a weird idea for a sketch. Bone Thugs n Harmonies owning a bone store.

These writers obviously love 90s nostalgia just for the sake of it, like the skateboarding sketch from last week.  Neither sketch made me laugh, I was just kind of like, ah yes I understand all these references, but........?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Strangely, I am not even missing Kate.

Ditto. And it’s nothing against her.  Just that the past couple of seasons they really did a Wiig on her and overused her. So, for me, the break is nice.

This show was pretty average. I still think of Taylor Swift as being, like, 19 or 20 years old.

• Love 7

There were some real gems in this episode. I'm still cracking up over "I look like Chucky went to Sarah Lawrence". 

I don't follow much music, so I'm not very familiar with Taylor Swift's music, but I loved her in the "3 sad virgins" bit. I heard her talk about the ten minute song in an interview earlier this week, and how the process of writing it and then rewriting and re-releasing it was for her, so I decided to listen to all of it and not fast forward. I agree her voice isn't the strongest, but she had guts and I respect her.

Loved the cold open, Audacity Ads, most of WU, and Man Park. Liked Bones, Theater, March of Suitors because of Punky, open marriage pastors.

Was okay with Paranormal Kids, but didn't find the girl cute giving herself props at the end-- I'm a bitch sometimes and I apologize for that. I just felt tense watching the kids, wondering if they'd behave or if they'd ruin the sketch. When they have animals on who go off script, I'm not annoyed, but when kids do it, I just think: why the hell aren't these children in bed asleep?

I zoned out during the monologue. 

Most of the time, this would have been one of the better episodes of the season, but we had some real highs recently, so it comes off merely a lot better than average. I am starting to think maybe the writing slump is over. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Man Park: TOO. RELATABLE. I need to go to one. But we DO have Man Parks. They're called Comic Cons.

Marvel?  Marvel.

I did a “YouTube clips” watch of this show this morning instead of watching it live, and I think that the compressed time frame can sometimes help in terms of moving quickly past the sketches that drag a bit.  So I liked it and had a good time with everything except the dog bones sketch.  (When I was watching, I was thinking surely this was cut for time, but I guess not.)  I think Jonathan Majors oozes charisma.

I thought the cold open was one of the stronger ones that they had done in awhile.  I like when they take a situation to the next level.  Like, instead of doing a parody NewsMax news show to open the show, they took Ted Cruz’s public beef with (sigh) Big Bird to a crazier level in having “Cruz Street” be a thing.

The audience seemed to go nuts for Sarah during Weekend Update and seemed a lot more tepid on Aristotle’s bit, but I did at least think Aristotle’s bit was very creative and an interesting approach.

• Love 12

I was kind of hoping the real Big Bird would come on Weekend Update just like he did when Mitt Romney stepped in it with him during the 2012 election. I would have liked that better than the cold opening because like everyone said it was painfully accurate.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I did at least think Aristotle’s bit was very creative and an interesting approach.

Was he using any type of voice modulation or was it all him? Because the glitchy voice was fantastic if he was actually doing it without electronic assistance. And the app impressions were inspired.

8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

The only thing I know about Bone Thugs n Harmonies is their name so this felt long to me, but I did laugh when they included "trombones" in their list. I also laughed at the bit in the First Damn Baptist Church where they clarified "we are only romantically interested in some of you."

8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Is it Bring Your Child to Work day?  Bless their hearts.

That said, the Broadway benefit sketch just made me so happy because it's a riff on a song from one of my very favorite, forgotten musicals - I Love My Wife.  The sketch was fine.  The actual show was wonderful.  And just because I like you all, here's the song... 

I'm so glad the show is not totally forgotten.

Thanks for this -- it's one I'm not familiar with. Loved Bowen and Cecily in this sketch (although it made me feel tangentially anxious for John Mulaney).

• Love 5

I really liked Jonathan Major's energy.  I think he just needed better material to work with.

I was surprised that Jonathan Majors didn't mention in the monologue that he was in Lovecraft Country and the Loki Disney+ series, because I remember him most recently from those two shows (though Strange Kid Tales played on the horror element of Lovecraft Country).

• Love 6

S his own D. A literal weird flex. Why would someone brag about that? Maybe it's a side effect of taking horse paste. 🙄

I also thought Jonathan was a little too hype in his monologue. Guess he was nervous. Has he never done live theatre?

Three Sad Virgins. Taylor's version of that song slapped. She should release it.

Fupa TV. Yikes.

How did not they not include the Seat Geeks ads with the talking butts in pants? You'd think it was a commercial for anti-gas medication instead of an online ticket portal.

The basic premise of that skit with the spooky kids came from a reddit thread. I recognized it immediately.

So that was the song where Taylor was supposed to be shading Jake Gyllenhaal? He must have done a major number on her if she's still not over it. I wish SNL would have him on to give a rebuttal.

OMG, I was crying during Sarah Sherman's segment during WU. It just got more and more insane as it went on.

🎶Everybody today is doing drugs!🎶

I'd rate this episode as "it had its moments." I was hoping Idris Elba or Regina King would drop by to support their The Harder They Fall co-star but no joy. Interesting to me that Jonathan mentioned Idris in his monologue but not Regina.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'd rate this episode as "it had its moments." I was hoping Idris Elba or Regina King would drop by to support their The Harder They Fall co-star but no joy. Interesting to me that Jonathan mentioned Idris in his monologue but not Regina.

I caught that about Regina, too.  I thought it was a little odd. For one thing, I would had thought the writers would just add her name to it on the cue cards as she just hosted last year. And from my understanding, she really got on well with everybody there.

And they should have had some cameos this episode, honestly. Jonathan could have used the extra help, especially in the monologue. I totally agree he was too hyped. And it took him most of the show to settle down a bit. It was very noticeable that they didn't come anywhere close to letting him lead a sketch.

I also thought they would ease into Thanksgiving with a sketch around the dinner table or what have you. I guess they decided to save all that for next week. 

• Love 4

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was mentioning Idris in relation to how he looked next to Idris and how he felt he might have been "lacking", not how wonderful the rest of the cast was.  Although I admit, I don't remember exactly what he said, so I may be wrong (which would not be the first time, not the last). 

I thought he was charming, but kinda invisible in that he wasn't the lead in any sketch and had few lines in the ones he was in.  Much reaction, few lines. 

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was mentioning Idris in relation to how he looked next to Idris and how he felt he might have been "lacking", not how wonderful the rest of the cast was.  Although I admit, I don't remember exactly what he said, so I may be wrong (which would not be the first time, not the last). 

That was the main point.  If he or the writers had wanted to they could have mentioned how his hosting gig would look like crap compared to hers to continue the theme.  I haven't seen the movie so I don't know how much screentime they shared.  He also didn't mention Zazie Beetz, who has higher billing than King, so it probably wasn't a deliberate slight.  Or maybe it was - let's read into every little detail like Colin did with the 51 months.

• Love 4

??? I understood what Jonathan said about Idris and I understood the context. I have seen The Harder they Fall and I'd say Regina and Idris' significance in the film is about the same,

Spoiler

except for the part where Idris' character is dead by the end and Regina's isn't.

Either way, they both have hosted SNL so it seemed to me it would have been trivial to reference each of them in the monologue as long as Jonathan was going to mention them at all. Ehhh, now I'm just going to sit over here and see what nefariousness I can read into it. 🙄

• Love 2

In the Audacity in Advertising Awards sketch, as soon as they said BP's intern was going to accept the award, I thought "well this is going to be Andrew"...and then there he was. I guess he gives off intern energy 😆. (I do like him, though)

I'm not a huge TSwift fan, but I've always found myself rooting for her. I liked her performance.

13 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Are they using canned laughter for Weekend Update?? Neither of the new castmates' bits were remotely funny...in my opinion, of course.

I loved both of their segments. I was distracted at first at how much Sarah looks like Melissa, but I thought she did a great job. And Aristotle impressed me again. 

4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Was he using any type of voice modulation or was it all him? Because the glitchy voice was fantastic if he was actually doing it without electronic assistance.

I was wondering that, too. At first I thought it was the mic, but then I became pretty convinced that it was all his voice.

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So that was the song where Taylor was supposed to be shading Jake Gyllenhaal? He must have done a major number on her if she's still not over it. I wish SNL would have him on to give a rebuttal.

I don't follow Taylor Swift news. I didn't know she had dated Gyllenhaal. Re this song: I tuned out. Maybe I should read the lyrics.

I was hoping Idris Elba or Regina King would drop by to support their The Harder They Fall co-star but no joy. Interesting to me that Jonathan mentioned Idris in his monologue but not Regina.

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was mentioning Idris in relation to how he looked next to Idris and how he felt he might have been "lacking", not how wonderful the rest of the cast was. 

Exactly. He was only making that (common) joke that everyone suffers when physically compared to Idris Elba.

I enjoyed the show. I was a little disappointed in Majors. I thought he did ok, nothing remarkable. I think my favorite thing he did was in the Forgotten Monarchs sketch. Ego certainly helped to make him shine. Boy, she's really good. I'm so glad the show is using her more.

Loved the Man Park video. Really good.

The Broadway Benefit sketch was pretty good, particularly because Cecily is so good in these old-fashioned type performances.

Bone Thugs & Harmonies -- I guess that was a real group -- was enjoyable. Pure silliness.

• Love 8

RE: whether or not TS is over the 10 year old break up, I can't say. But she's re-releasing ALL her old music, because her original contracts gave ownership to the production company, and so re-releasing her catalogue gives her back the ownership and control over her songs. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 9

I like Taylor Swift a lot (I became a fan especially after her song "Soon You'll Get Better.") Ten minutes was a lot for me, and I think that's because I can't always understand the words of the guest singers on SNL - I'm old - and CC lags too far behind. I think just in general it's harder to get the words of a song you don't know - maybe that's part of the reason bands play established material vs. new in concert. (I know this is an old song of hers, but I wasn't familiar with it.) Taylor is always such a good sport - loved her showing up in the 3 Virgins sketch, although the comedy songs lately haven't been doing it for me. (Hard to match "Dick in a Box" and "Christmastime for the Jews," though.)

I really liked the creepy kids sketch and the taking a kid to a Broadway show sketch. Cecily & Bowen work/sing really well together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

??? I understood what Jonathan said about Idris and I understood the context.

Yeah, same here.  I was  just saying that Regina is a big enough name that I thought she'd be mentioned. She's an Oscar winner afterall. That's all. But I got the context.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I don't follow Taylor Swift news. I didn't know she had dated Gyllenhaal. Re this song: I tuned out. Maybe I should read the lyrics.

Apparently it was only for 2-3 months and yet she's made a ten minute song, a ten minute short film, an album, and new re-released album with new tracks from it --- and maybe more albums than that, I'm not a Swiftie so not sure.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, freddi said:

I know it was not a real gun, but I get the sense that even this type of replica is being banned from sets.  

I noticed she was very careful not to point it at anybody.  Which, ironically enough, is proper gun handling.

Taylor's 10 minute song, is that the longest song every performed on SNL?  It has to be up there.  It's amazing that there aren't really any instrumental passages in it, it was just straight up Taylor complaining about her ex.  Anyway, I liked it.

The only other bits that stood out to me were Strange Kid Tales and Sarah Sherman on Weekend Update.  Making fun of Colin Jost is one of  their go to jokes, and she did a great job.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I was kind of hoping he’d show up on Weekend Update to describe the weekend he’s having, but I sense that time has not healed all wounds on this one. I really liked the 8 minute version of All Too Well, but the last two minutes really dragged.

The Man Park sketch was amazing. My friend and I always joke about having to arrange play dates for our husbands because they get along really well, but don’t know how to initiate a get together.

I felt bad for Jonathan Majors. It felt like they were only giving him filler material. I thought he was great in the Open Marriage sketch. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I thought he was charming, but kinda invisible in that he wasn't the lead in any sketch and had few lines in the ones he was in.  Much reaction, few lines. 

Same. I thought it was super clear that he was, commenting on the difference in looks.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Taylor Swift….lovely woman, interesting songwriter, just abysmal vocalist. That song just droned on forever. Nice to share the applause with her backup singers.

I  kept thinking is this over yet? boring AF 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Also my opinion: Taylor Swift should not sing. Ever.

The first time I ever heard Swift sing live was some years ago, when she appeared on one of those morning shows ... Good Morning America or something. I don't think she had even broken big yet, and I watched her performance and was astounded at how bad of a singer she was, just off key and a weak voice. I marked her down as yet another dime-a-dozen "country" singer who wouldn't do well. And I have been astounded since then at what she has become. I haven't really heard her sing live since, so I have no idea if she has gotten better. Mostly I see headlines about her past relationships. Points for going for it in the "sad virgins" video though.

I did not know who Jonathan Majors is. I still am not sure. He did seem nervous.

Enjoyed the First Baptist sketch. WU seemed a bit muted this week.

• Love 4