Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E06: Jonathan Majors / Taylor Swift

• Start Topic

I hadn’t heard of Majors. He was ok but didn’t think he was given much to do. 

I didn’t love Sherman on WU - I felt she was just screaming and the material wasn’t funny. I liked Aristotles bit. 

weakest episode of the season I think.

• Love 6

Not a good sign when you're watching a skit and wondering who the new cast member is, because you've completely forgotten about the guest host.

OTOH, I had no idea who Sarah Sherman was, and now I wish I didn't.

The one and only time I ever listened to Taylor Swift was years ago when she sang on DwtS.  I found her voice appallingly bad.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved both of their segments. I was distracted at first at how much Sarah looks like Melissa, but I thought she did a great job. And Aristotle impressed me again. 

I was wondering that, too. At first I thought it was the mic, but then I became pretty convinced that it was all his voice.

I don't follow Taylor Swift news. I didn't know she had dated Gyllenhaal. Re this song: I tuned out. Maybe I should read the lyrics.

Exactly. He was only making that (common) joke that everyone suffers when physically compared to Idris Elba.

I enjoyed the show. I was a little disappointed in Majors. I thought he did ok, nothing remarkable. I think my favorite thing he did was in the Forgotten Monarchs sketch. Ego certainly helped to make him shine. Boy, she's really good. I'm so glad the show is using her more.

Loved the Man Park video. Really good.

The Broadway Benefit sketch was pretty good, particularly because Cecily is so good in these old-fashioned type performances.

Bone Thugs & Harmonies -- I guess that was a real group -- was enjoyable. Pure silliness.

IF You Are Talking About Being A Real Group As Far As Being An Actual Group, They Had I Think The Singer Was Named Bones Thug On As Musical Guest A Few Weeks Ago On Saturday Night Live ! IF You Meant That The Group Was In The Sketch, Then, I Don't Know ! I Thought IT Was Just People In The Cast ! 

4 hours ago, nilyank said:

So are the three writers that were asked to be part of Pete's video really writers on the show?

Yes, they are.

If he did it on his own, that’s really impressive, but Aristotle was fully holding a mic during ‘Weekend Update’ that I thought could have had a Vocoder/Auto-Tune effect for the robot voice.

I DO like that Colin has completely resigned himself to being the butt of every other joke on Weekend Update.  Are we sure that (Jason Sudekis’s) Satan DIDN’T arrange his union with ScarJo?

Jonathan Majors was there, I guess?  I thought his performances were strong enough but he never really carried or had to lead a sketch.  Jake from State Farm could’ve been a much better role/impression, for example.  I thought the last church sketch was probably his best performance.  I may be biased, because people are tearing their garments over ‘Lovecraft Country’ being canceled after one season but to me, it was an okay show AND a total hot mess the entire time.

I fully wished for it in the media thread but Taylor had the option to do two songs and fully woke up and chose to do 10-minutes of violence against Jake Gyllenhaal.  The ‘All Too Well’ short film that she directed that was projected in the background is also worth watching if you haven’t seen it yet.  Do I think she’s the best vocalist in the world?  Absolutely not.  Do I think she’s an incredible lyricist with an ear for hooks?  Absolutely.  She deserves every single penny from re-recording these albums after the rights were basically stolen out from under her.  I took a music industry class in college and the number of ways record labels try to screw over their artists are basically infinite.

• Love 11

Sarah Sherman finally got time to shine! The graphic department definitely had fun with this segment. She was great, it was just pure chaos. It's been a while since someone other than Che jumped on the "Cancel Jost" train.

Sarah Sherman on WU was my absolute favorite of the entire show.  I hope they make this a recurring bit.  She is delightful.

• Love 5
On 11/14/2021 at 12:17 AM, freddi said:

The child "Coraline" was hilarious -- the way she crossed her legs and looked like she was in a trance, then the way she celebrated at the end of the sketch, gesturing "I *nailed* it," and taking deep bows.  

What a ham! hopefully she’ll have a career in “show biz”. 

• Love 3
  • Majors was OK - he completely held his own in the Broadway sketch.
  • Not a TS fan, it was meh. Music is subjective anyway.  If Bob Dylan and Neil Young had to sing for their supper as teens, they would have died of starvation before turning 20.
  • "You're watching SYFY.  Why?"
  • FUPA TV
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

If he did it on his own, that’s really impressive, but Aristotle was fully holding a mic during ‘Weekend Update’ that I thought could have had a Vocoder/Auto-Tune effect for the robot voice.

Maybe, but also it was an important prop for him as a robot doing a stand-up comic routine.

• Love 4
On 11/14/2021 at 12:48 AM, ebk57 said:

That said, the Broadway benefit sketch just made me so happy because it's a riff on a song from one of my very favorite, forgotten musicals - I Love My Wife.  The sketch was fine.  The actual show was wonderful.  And just because I like you all, here's the song... 

I'm so glad the show is not totally forgotten.

The SNL sketch was a pull from this gem on Bea Arthur's one and only variety special. Cecily's wig & dress and Bowen's mustache -- spot on and hilarious. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, ebk57 said:

I thought he was charming, but kinda invisible in that he wasn't the lead in any sketch and had few lines in the ones he was in.  Much reaction, few lines. 

He was not good in the monologue, and then I completely forgot he was even on the show, I don't remember him being in any other sketches at all.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:33 PM, vb68 said:

Yeah, same here.  I was  just saying that Regina is a big enough name that I thought she'd be mentioned. She's an Oscar winner afterall. That's all. But I got the context.

I don't know why he would have to mention her, It had nothing to do with her.  He made a joke about how hot Idris is, and how it is hard to have to stand next to him.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:17 PM, xls said:

I  kept thinking is this over yet? boring AF 

Ok so I am not the only one.  

18 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I have no idea who the guest was. Still don't.

Sarah Sherman was awful. I will change the channel in the future when she is on.

She was *almost* as bad as that horrible Jones woman who always yelled and was not funny.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Jody said:

IF You Are Talking About Being A Real Group As Far As Being An Actual Group, They Had I Think The Singer Was Named Bones Thug On As Musical Guest A Few Weeks Ago On Saturday Night Live ! IF You Meant That The Group Was In The Sketch, Then, I Don't Know ! I Thought IT Was Just People In The Cast ! 

On 11/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, peeayebee said:

Bone Thugs & Harmonies -- I guess that was a real group -- was enjoyable. Pure silliness.

Bone Thugs N Harmony?   They are indeed a real group.  The height of their fame was the 90s, I'm sure if they were ever the musical guest on SNL it would be back then.  Their biggest hit was "Tha Crossroads" in 1995.  It was absolutely inescapable to anyone my age.

The people in the sketch were cast members, not the real group.  And Jonathan Majors the host:  Jonathan, Ego, Chris, and Kenan.

Young Thug was the musical guest, that's a totally different generation.  (X as opposed to Y.)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

He was not good in the monologue, and then I completely forgot he was even on the show, I don't remember him being in any other sketches at all.

I don't know why he would have to mention her, It had nothing to do with her.  He made a joke about how hot Idris is, and how it is hard to have to stand next to him.

Ok so I am not the only one.  

She was *almost* as bad as that horrible Jones woman who always yelled and was not funny.  

Jonathan Was Jake The All State Agent And He Was In Most OF The Other Sketches ! Do You Mean Leslie Jones ? 

8 hours ago, Jody said:

Jonathan Was Jake The All State Agent And He Was In Most OF The Other Sketches ! Do You Mean Leslie Jones ? 

Oh right.. I guess he is not very memorable to me.  Since she has been brought up, let's take Regina King- I didn't think her episode was a good episode, it was bad IMO, but my eyes were on Regina King every time she was on screen.  (I'll admit, I am a fan from way back when she was on 227) But she brought some energy. 

I didn't even notice this guy was on screen.  Owen Wilson was kind of muted on his episode too.

Yes Leslie Jones.  

On 11/14/2021 at 1:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

Dog Bones n Melodies: What a weird idea for a sketch. Bone Thugs n Harmonies owning a bone store.

I was at a street fair this weekend, and there was a stall selling various unusual bones, including ostrich bones, which apparently are a treat for certain dogs.  This sketch came immediately to mind. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Oh right.. I guess he is not very memorable to me.  Since she has been brought up, let's take Regina King- I didn't think her episode was a good episode, it was bad IMO, but my eyes were on Regina King every time she was on screen.  (I'll admit, I am a fan from way back when she was on 227) But she brought some energy. 

I didn't even notice this guy was on screen.  Owen Wilson was kind of muted on his episode too.

Yes Leslie Jones.  

I Also Thought Owen Wilson Was Muted As You Said ! 

• Love 1
On 11/14/2021 at 12:40 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sarah Sherman is CRUSHING it right now

I found that bit pointless and unfunny, but then, humor is subjective.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:25 AM, Quickbeam said:

Taylor Swift….lovely woman, interesting songwriter, just abysmal vocalist. That song just droned on forever. Nice to share the applause with her backup singers.

She definitely doesn't have a very good voice, but it rather suited the song.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:31 AM, Peace 47 said:

The audience seemed to go nuts for Sarah during Weekend Update and seemed a lot more tepid on Aristotle’s bit, but I did at least think Aristotle’s bit was very creative and an interesting approach.

I didn't think either one was funny, but his bit was less annoying.  Maybe because it was less loud.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, Ottis said:

WU seemed a bit muted this week.

I agree.  It's usually sharper than that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Yes Leslie Jones.  

For me, one of the best things about Leslie Jones leaving the show has been how much time Ego has gotten instead.  She was terrific in the March of the Suitors and the Man Park video.  At least one of those would've gone to Leslie before.  (Yes, I know, it's a sad commentary on how few bits there are for black women on SNL, but that's a whole different conversation.)

21 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I've been thinking Sarah Sherman had a lot to offer, was waiting through this season to see it, and saw it! Count me in her column.

Whereas I didn't even realize she was on the show before she was being loud and obnoxious on WU last night.  I guess I've seen her in the credits but otherwise she'd made no impression on me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, one of the best things about Leslie Jones leaving the show has been how much time Ego has gotten instead.  She was terrific in the March of the Suitors and the Man Park video.  At least one of those would've gone to Leslie before.  (Yes, I know, it's a sad commentary on how few bits there are for black women on SNL, but that's a whole different conversation.)

Yes, and speaking of Ego, Dionne Warwick is tweeting that Jake should give Taylor her sweater back!  She said that she will pay for the postage!  🤣🤣🤣  I read the tweets in Ego’s voice doing Dionne.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 11/13/2021 at 11:20 PM, cpcathy said:

I think she sounds off. I can’t believe this song is ten minutes.

Definitely some off-key moments in that long drone. 

On 11/13/2021 at 11:24 PM, DollEyes said:

Arguably the longest 10 minutes of TS's ex Jake Gyllenhaal's life.

I doubt he worries about it.  They dated for 3 months 11 years ago and she's still whining about it? 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:59 AM, chediavolo said:

Use your fast forward, it’s a mind saver! I’m old, I ff’d through 90% of the musical guests. You can’t beat the music from the 70’s SNL.  

I watch SNL on Hulu on Sundays.  I almost always Ffwd through the "musical" guests.  I gave TS 3 minutes and couldn't believe how long I still had to FFwd after that. 

• Love 3
On 11/15/2021 at 4:59 AM, chediavolo said:

Use your fast forward, it’s a mind saver! I’m old, I ff’d through 90% of the musical guests. You can’t beat the music from the 70’s SNL.  

SNL used to be cutting edge with its MG's.  Now they either have boring mainstream pop pulp like TS, or they have acts on years after they're relevant, e.g., the Ting Tings and Tame Impala.

That said, I did like Young Thug.  I see they have Billie Eilish doing double-duty in a couple weeks, so that's cool (and she was on in 2019, so good for SNL there).

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2
On 11/15/2021 at 2:50 AM, Gemma Violet said:

Sarah Sherman on WU was my absolute favorite of the entire show.  I hope they make this a recurring bit.  She is delightful.

One persons delightful is another's shrill, unfunny loudmouth.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

One persons delightful is another's shrill, unfunny loudmouth.

Absolutely.  There are some celebrities who set my teeth on edge as I find them obnoxious, but they are popular with many people.  We all have different tastes.  There's something about Sarah Sherman that makes me laugh and want to see more of her.  But yes,  I can understand how to some she'd come off differently.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, gingerella said:

This show is unwatchable for me now. I can't tell if it's poor decision making on an aging Lorne Michaels or there just are no good comedians willing to do the show anymore. It's sad, this was a mainstay in my life for decades.

What's the matter?

On 11/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Ottis said:

The first time I ever heard Swift sing live was some years ago, when she appeared on one of those morning shows ... Good Morning America or something. I don't think she had even broken big yet, and I watched her performance and was astounded at how bad of a singer she was, just off key and a weak voice.

While baking cookies today I was listening to Christmas music on Amazon Music. One song came on that I'd never heard before, and I said to myself, "Who is that awful singer?" Yup. It was her.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2021 at 11:40 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

Are they using canned laughter for Weekend Update?? Neither of the new castmates' bits were remotely funny...in my opinion, of course.

Also my opinion: Taylor Swift should not sing. Ever.

The Robot Was Aristotle ! Aristotle Was Also The Count In The Cold Open ! !