Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E08 Queen Night

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, alexa said:

Amanda’s dancing does nothing for me.  There is nothing behind it, kind of like she is just going through the motions.  It lacks sincerity or something.

She’s a former Rockette, and it seems she can’t shake the emotionless perfection they have. Her face may show expression, but it doesn’t carry through to her body.

Edited by Electruck
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Amanda is just as much of a ringer. For some reason, a lot of people who have an issue with JoJo being a ringer don't seem to have that same issue with Amanda.

I knew nothing about Amanda prior to the show except that she lost her husband to COVID. But even if she was also a ringer based on the feedback she is getting from the judges right now, if she and Jojo were both in the bottom 2, I'd still be willing to bet that Amanda would be the one to go. 

The discrepancy between how good the judges think Jojo is and how good they think even the next best dancer is, seems to be pretty far apart. I'm not an avid watcher of the show (I haven't actually watched a full season in years), so I'm not aware exactly of how much fan votes vs judges counts or whatever, but if its just up to the judges, she's probably a lock. I think the way Tyra wouldn't shut up about how shocking it was that Jojo was in the bottom 2 made that pretty evident. 

• Love 3

You should have known the " history making" same sex couple is going to win especially since she's a professional dancer. I would have absolutely no problem with a same sex couple winning, just not her. She's cringy beyond belief, and she's a pro. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I bet the Judges are kicking themselves for giving all 4 bonus points to Olivia. 

I can see JoJo being in the bottom two. I have no idea who she is. I read what people here post but that is about it. I don’t care about her. She is a good dancer but I don’t care about her story. 

Olivia would take a huge step towards redemption if she  she decided to set aside 25% of her earnings from her job towards a scholarship fund for underprivileged kids attending USC. Maybe actually demonstrate that she knows she screwed up and who she harmed and that she was doing something to fix the damage that she, and others who have the same level of privilege, caused. Seriously, this would be a great platform to announce something along those lines. 

I knew Cody would annoy people here but I am surprised that his dancing isn’t better. I am guessing that some people are better with specific schools of dance and ballroom is less of Cody’s thing. I also think that there is no chemistry between Cody and Cheryl. 

You can see the Pros who like or enjoy working with their partners. There is a vibe there that comes through. Cody and Cheryl look like they are tolerating each other instead of enjoying working together. 

But yeah, the Peloton folks are not going away. Cody is a beloved instructor. He is getting mentions on rides by other instructors across all the various exercise groups in Peloton. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Jtrain said:

You should have known the " history making" same sex couple is going to win especially since she's a professional dancer. I would have absolutely no problem with a same sex couple winning, just not her. She's cringy beyond belief, and she's a pro. 

Well, with how she's hit the bottom two last night, I actually think her chances of winning have gone down. She's not 100% locked in anymore. I don't think there's been many scenarios where a winner has hit bottom two, at least not THIS early. I think, if winners have been "last to be called safe", it's been right before finals. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I bet the Judges are kicking themselves for giving all 4 bonus points to Olivia. 

I can see JoJo being in the bottom two. I have no idea who she is. I read what people here post but that is about it. I don’t care about her. She is a good dancer but I don’t care about her story. 

Olivia would take a huge step towards redemption if she  she decided to set aside 25% of her earnings from her job towards a scholarship fund for underprivileged kids attending USC. Maybe actually demonstrate that she knows she screwed up and who she harmed and that she was doing something to fix the damage that she, and others who have the same level of privilege, caused. Seriously, this would be a great platform to announce something along those lines. 

I knew Cody would annoy people here but I am surprised that his dancing isn’t better. I am guessing that some people are better with specific schools of dance and ballroom is less of Cody’s thing. I also think that there is no chemistry between Cody and Cheryl. 

You can see the Pros who like or enjoy working with their partners. There is a vibe there that comes through. Cody and Cheryl look like they are tolerating each other instead of enjoying working together. 

But yeah, the Peloton folks are not going away. Cody is a beloved instructor. He is getting mentions on rides by other instructors across all the various exercise groups in Peloton. 

I think Judges were thrilled Olivia was called safe and they meant to give her all the points. Also Jojo was put in bottom 2 to fool her fans into voting harder to ensure she sticks around longer. Bet they want Olivia and Jojo in finals 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, alexa said:

Amanda’s dancing does nothing for me.  There is nothing behind it, kind of like she is just going through the motions.  It lacks sincerity or something.

Agree!! That dance didn't look even look like a jive!!

That song and dance were my favorite when Drew Scott did the jive. This is all I could think of when Amanda was dancing.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

I think Judges were thrilled Olivia was called safe and they meant to give her all the points. Also Jojo was put in bottom 2 to fool her fans into voting harder to ensure she sticks around longer. Bet they want Olivia and Jojo in finals 

What will they do next week to keep Olivia out of the bottom two? Give her 11s? LOL

I don’t know why people are so surprised about JoJo. Middle aged Middle America isn’t going to vote for a lesbian. They vote for Cody because he is their pretend boyfriend. Pretty simple really.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

What will they do next week to keep Olivia out of the bottom two? Give her 11s? LOL

I don’t know why people are so surprised about JoJo. Middle aged Middle America isn’t going to vote for a lesbian. They vote for Cody because he is their pretend boyfriend. Pretty simple really.

Lol you don't know exactly why Cody is getting the votes. It's not "Pretty Simple Really" and Cody is gay. No one in fact just knows how he's getting the votes but he is. And people can dislike Jojo for other reasons than shes a lesbian. We never see vote counts on any of these type of shows. They can do what they want, save who they want etc. 

Edited by Josh371982
  • Love 4

Jojo landing in Bottom 2 is a fluke we in DWTS parlance call the Sabrina Bryan effect. It is when a dancer is really good, the voters don't vote for them because they think everyone else is, and they don't have to. Effect is, not enough people are voting for them. 

Sabrina Bryan was on the show season 4 or 5, Mark Ballas' first partner. She was really good and had it all, skill, chemistry with Mark, personality. Tom's voice registered disbelief when he announced "Sabrina & Mark..." and the audience gasped. The antidote to Sabrina Bryan Effect is to vote for your favorites, even if you think others are, so you don't have to. Do it.

I like Iman. He is improving week to week, you can see it. Partly for sentimental reasons. If my mom were still alive she would love Iman. My mom liked very tall guys with great smiles, and this season that's Iman. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

Lol you don't know exactly why Cody is getting the votes. It's not "Pretty Simple Really" and Cody is gay. No one in fact just knows how he's getting the votes but he is. And people can dislike Jojo for other reasons than shes a lesbian. We never see vote counts on any of these type of shows. They can do what they want, save who they want etc. 

It's pretty suspicious that we never see the votes. I'm not saying they rig votes, but they know exactly who is getting votes and who isn't, so they adjust the judges scores accordingly, and they invent stupid "relays" to give their favorites bonus points. And they wonder why their ratings keep slipping?

In the MLB, NHL, etc. the number of votes for the all-star games is transparent from the beginning.

BTW I know that Cody is gay. The audience that votes is mainly women, and they have double standards for gay men and women.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I really don’t know the reasons why specific individuals or groups of individuals, including middle aged, middle Americans, are or are not voting for Jojo.

I think Jojo is an amazing dancer and their routines have been spectacular. However, I didn’t vote for Jojo for two reasons: 1) she needs to rein in her enthusiasm, she is so over the top, and 2) I think other contestants have improved more from where they were in previous weeks.

That’s my reasons. Absolutely nothing to do with her being a lesbian.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I really don’t know the reasons why specific individuals or groups of individuals, including middle aged, middle Americans, are or are not voting for Jojo.

I think Jojo is an amazing dancer and their routines have been spectacular. However, I didn’t vote for Jojo for two reasons: 1) she needs to rein in her enthusiasm, she is so over the top, and 2) I think other contestants have improved more from where they were in previous weeks.

I'm not saying that everyone doesn't like her because she's a lesbian. Sure people have other reasons. It's just that they've had "JoJos" on this show since the beginning and they rarely landed on the bottom two. She would probably do better with a same sex partner on a European show, but I don't expect her to win here.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

20 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

It's pretty suspicious that we never see the votes. I'm not saying they rig votes, but they know exactly who is getting votes and who isn't, so they adjust the judges scores accordingly, and they invent stupid "relays" to give their favorites bonus points. And they wonder why their ratings keep slipping?

In the MLB, NHL, etc. the number of votes for the all-star games is transparent from the beginning.

BTW I know that Cody is gay. The audience that votes is mainly women, and they have double standards for gay men and women.

Peloton fans are really, really devoted. I own a Peloton and participate in a bunch of FB Peloton groups. I dropped off a whole bunch of the groups because the instructors fans take everything very, very personal. Cody is loved because of how he presents himself, his mannerisms on the bike, and he blunt honesty. If I were to post that I don't like his rides because of X, Y, Z reasons it would get ugly fast. And Cody isn't the only one, I left one page because I said I prefer CDE and Denis as power zone instructors to Matt because they were more engaging. You would think that I had insulted peoples mothers....

I have no doubt that Cody is getting a ton of votes from people not watching the show at all. Voting instructions are posted on the various Peloton groups with reminders of when to vote. I would be surprised to find that the female audience for DWTS is voting for Cody. His performances on the show have not been anything that I expected. I expected more energy and joy and fun from him, like his rides. His dances have all seen kind of forced, uncomfortable, and painful. They don't look good.

I have yet to vote by the way, I don't care enough about anyone to take the 30 seconds.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Someone should maybe educate Tyra on HIPPA in the workplace….

HIPPA doesn't work the way people think it does. What it does is prohibit a healthcare provider from divulging confidential patient health information to third parties who do not have a legitimate need to know such information. It does NOT prohibit a third party from asking the patient for this information directly.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I have no doubt that Cody is getting a ton of votes from people not watching the show at all. Voting instructions are posted on the various Peloton groups with reminders of when to vote. I would be surprised to find that the female audience for DWTS is voting for Cody. His performances on the show have not been anything that I expected. I expected more energy and joy and fun from him, like his rides. His dances have all seen kind of forced, uncomfortable, and painful. They don't look good.

This! I’m kind of shocked how painful his performances have been, given what I knew about him from before. Like obviously he didn’t have an elite dance career, but I expected him to have a little more body awareness and ability to pick up choreography - he always seems like he’s marking his steps and his arms just sort of fling about with no connection to the dance. And we haven’t seen his personality come through really at all - he seems so uncomfortable in front of the camera in a way I didn’t expect because obviously he’s used to being filmed for his rides. Part of it is that the partnership with Cheryl doesn’t seem to be working at all, and it really seems like some of his issues could be fixed if someone was working with him on them, and it really feels like she’s not doing it.

Re: his fans, I don’t think they think he’s their imaginary boyfriend - he’s their imaginary rom-com gay best friend. The one who doesn’t have a purpose in life besides to sit around and yas queen all their decisions. I think the thing that makes me the most uncomfortable about them is it’s very weird to me to see what seems to be largely suburban women in their 30s and 40s appropriating the language of gay men from Manhattan? It feels very cringe — you can support him without needing to adopt the “yaaas boo, you slay queen!” lauguage. I can’t speak for the gay community but as a fellow white lady it makes me uncomfortable - it feels tokenizing. It’s giving me the same energy as women who have their bachelorette parties at a gay bar.

All that said, I think it’s Amanda and Suni who are toast next week unless one of them pulls out some breakthrough dance, or unless someone else has a particularly bad week. They’ve both been sort of stuck at the same level, and they’re running out of time to show something else.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Mike.

Oh wow.  Didn't see that coming.  Altho it did seem to me that he was better the first few eps and more wooden the last few.  I thought maybe it was an injury.  Thanks for the 411 🙃

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

Yeah, sure. That's what they told Assistant D. A. Serena Southerlyn on "Law and Order."

I keed! I keed!

• LOL 5

First off, small correction: JoJo is not a lesbian, she is pansexual. There is a difference, so just for future reference, she was in a relationship with a woman, but she isn't a lesbian. 

Second off, I do think that, with JoJo hitting the bottom, she's not a lock to win anymore. I was hoping that the portion of the audience who would have a problem with a same-sex partnership (in particular, a women same sex partnership) would be overpowered, but alas, that's not the case. Look at how the remaining men have NOT hit the bottom two and most of the women have, at this point (besides Amanda and Melora, but I kind of expect them to hit the bottom next week). 

JoJo is great. She seems like a good sport, she does well, and I think her partnership with Jenna IS important for the show's overall future. I get why the show NEEDS her to stay to finals. This needs to be a successful partnership, or else the show will be scared off of doing any more same-sex partnerships for the foreseeable future. Even if she doesn't win (which I actually don't know if she can anymore), I think her purpose on this show IS important. Regardless of what people think of JoJo herself, what she represents DOES matter for this show. 

And, unfortunately, with her hitting the bottom, when it comes down to her and three others, I really think she'll get second place. Because her fanbase is clearly not the biggest one of this show, and that guarantees a loss of first place.

Not that I would mind...depending on who wins instead. If it's Olivia (doubtful, but let's pretend for a second), that's WAY worse than JoJo winning. Who wants to reward a cheater, after all? That message is WAY worse than a pansexual eighteen year old with dance experience as a child winning. If it's Iman, then that's not so bad, because he's improved and shown that he represents a part of what this show is about. If it's Cody....well, it's not quite a Bobby Bones situation (Cody may be the worst dancer of the bunch, but he's not worse than Bobby freaking Bones), but it's not a winner that represents the season well at all. Melora or Jimmie might not win, but they would not be horrible winners. Amanda falls directly with JoJo, I think. Both have a lot of dance experience (and Amanda actually has MORE than JoJo), but both are still solid choices to win, because they're still good. And Suni has improved bit by bit herself, so her win would not be a disappointment.

The only person I'd be disappointed with for a win would be Cody. Everyone else is fair game for me.  

As for next week's double, with how strange the bottom two results have been this season, as much as I want Olivia to be auto-eliminated and Cody to be gone right after, it'll probably be something weird, like Amanda/Suni, or Melora/Amanda, because the fanbases voting seem to want the men to stay. Again, not that it would be awful for Iman or Jimmie to get to the finals, but I don't want BOTH of them going to the finals, because I've been vastly enjoying the women dance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I was skeptical about using rock songs for ballroom dances, but some of the Queen songs were surprisingly appropriate for various styles. "I want it now" really lent itself to a Jive, "Somebody to love" worked well for a Waltz, "We Will Rock You" was great for a Paso, and Jenna did fantastic Tango choreography for "Body Language."

But count me among those scratching their heads over why some couples got the real thing and some got cover versions of varying quality (mostly poor). Is it just cheaper to pay for the rights to fewer songs? Or are they just making sure the house band and singers earn their paychecks? I tend to suspect it's the latter, since they do the same thing on Disney night, and we know they already have the rights to all of those songs.

I think both Miz and Cody have reached their plateau. Neither are terrible but they both lack musicality. Cody's numbers look more like exercise routines than dances. On the other hand I'm sort of warming up to Iman. He has improved by leaps and bounds and his Jive was surprisingly impressive. His Paso, though, just had a lot of tricks and posing. He still wins most improved this season.

Tyra: "I don't know much about this ballroom dancing stuff."
Me: "Then why in the fuck are you here?"

John Oliver really skewered Tyra on his show this week.

I would mind Jojo a lot less if she would tone it down by about 50%. She is so ridiculously over the top, not in a charming way, just complete cringe. I don't care how much she is about positivity, listening to her segments make me want to rip my ears off. 

Same. I've had my fill of her.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But count me among those scratching their heads over why some couples got the real thing and some got cover versions of varying quality (mostly poor). Is it just cheaper to pay for the rights to fewer songs? Or are they just making sure the house band and singers earn their paychecks? I tend to suspect it's the latter, since they do the same thing on Disney night, and we know they already have the rights to all of those songs.

I have a few friends who work in music licensing and have picked up enough to know it’s definitely cheaper to license the rights to the cover than rights to the whole original track. If you’re going to cover it you just need to pay for the publishing, that is, the license for the intellectual property of the music and lyrics. If you’re playing the whole song you’re also paying out performance royalties to all the original singers, background singers, session musicians, etc. 

Also, tangentially related, if you’re looking for old performances on YouTube and you notice the official DWTS account has pulled them down, 9 times out of 10 it’s because they probably had a contract for only a certain amount of time and the music licensing rights have probably expired. 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Maybe Cody is still experiencing fatigue from Covid? It's a bad, bad disease even if you have a mild case. I'm sort of surprised about all the online hate for him. He isn't the best, but he's a lot better than Bobby Bones, whom people are comparing him to. 

I still think Amanda is going to win, though. I followed her when her husband was sick. It was hard not to feel sorry for her. Some people are criticizing her for being on the show, but I think she's a positive person who wants to move on for her son.

I still love Iman, though!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Peloton fans are really, really devoted. I own a Peloton and participate in a bunch of FB Peloton groups. I dropped off a whole bunch of the groups because the instructors fans take everything very, very personal. Cody is loved because of how he presents himself, his mannerisms on the bike, and he blunt honesty. If I were to post that I don't like his rides because of X, Y, Z reasons it would get ugly fast. And Cody isn't the only one, I left one page because I said I prefer CDE and Denis as power zone instructors to Matt because they were more engaging. You would think that I had insulted peoples mothers....

I have yet to vote by the way, I don't care enough about anyone to take the 30 seconds.

I agree with you 100% on the first part. I had to unfollow the group on FB because of how gross the women were acting there. At one point, I think some of them were harassing Carrie Anne on social media until someone told them to knock it off. 

I kind of agree with you on on why Cody is loved. I think a lot of it also has to do with the group being comprised mostly of bored women who see him as the stereotypical gay best friend that will say and do outlandish funny things that they themselves wish they had the bravery to do and say and get away with it. Cody's whole brand is about living up to that persona because it's what is making him popular. 

I'm not sure that regular watchers of the show are voting for him. The Boo Crew is just pushing really really hard, there are 50K people in there and they are getting everyone they know to vote whether they are watching the show or not. I'm sure that is resulting in a good amount of votes. The worst part is they know it and are pretty smug about it. 

At this rate, I hope that Iman and Jimmie outlast him because they are better dancers. Cody's dancing has just not been that great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I’m shocked that I have enjoyed watching Olivia. I think she’s really improved, along the lines of Iman and Jimmie, the latter of whom I just loved tonight! Was Olivia’s quickstep a 10?? Uh, I’m skeptical. 

I record the show but have yet to watch it in full—I just watch the dances on YouTube. Based on view numbers from YT, Jojo, Suni, Olivia, and Iman are the top watched. I don’t know how it’s translated to votes. I’ve watched Jimmie’s wonderful waltz with Emma four times, but it’s still low. 

Miz was fun to watch, but he wouldn’t have won, so I suppose it was time. I really enjoy Witney’s (and Lindsay’s) choreography, so it’s always sad to lose them. Personally, I don’t think Suni, Amanda or Melora will win either. Something just doesn’t click with audiences, even though all those women are very good.

Finals prediction: Jojo, Olivia, Cody, but I hope it’s Jimmie instead of Cody. Maybe Ilam. 

• Love 3

Jojo in the bottom two...

There have been several reasons suggested above: Conservative viewers not liking same sex partners, Jojo's fan base being too young to be interested in DWTS, people's complacency about her winning so they don't vote...

I had a problem with last night's performance: To me she still looks like she is about twelve years old.  So it just looks skeevy to see her doing a sexy  dance like that.  It reminds me of those beauty pageants for children, where seven/eight/etc. year old girls are dressed, made up, and trained to act sexy.  Or those dance classes/training where very young girls are taught to dance in a sexual manner.  Of course, this is just a personal peeve of mine; maybe it doesn't bother anyone else, and I am off base.  (Yes, I know Jojo is 18 but she looks (and acts) so young I just can't enjoy her dancing.)

I don't have any strong desires for a winner in this season, but if pressed I would say, just based on how much I enjoy their dancing, #1 Iman, #2 Olivia, #3 Melora.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I was skeptical about using rock songs for ballroom dances, but some of the Queen songs were surprisingly appropriate for various styles. "I want it now" really lent itself to a Jive, "Somebody to love" worked well for a Waltz, "We Will Rock You" was great for a Paso, and Jenna did fantastic Tango choreography for "Body Language."

I was listening to "Seven Seas of Rhye" this morning and thought it would be perfect for a Paso.

Tyra's stylists continue to hate her. 

Bummed that The Miz was eliminated, but I didn't want Jojo and Jenna gone either. Cody and Olivia should be the next to go. I want to like Cody better (his story about his best friend was very moving) but he's just kind of meh for me.

I like Jimmie more and more every week.

• Love 3

After seven weeks and last night with Jojo going in the bottom two, I'm now confident enough to say that one of Jimmie or Iman is going to win this thing. Whilst Jimmie is the better dancer, Iman is more of a standout when he has a really good routine. Plus when Iman gets to the final he'll be able to redo that contemporary, as well as a freestyle where he can throw Daniella all over the place with his strength and win over the audience. I can easily see him getting two perfect scores and a mirrorball.

Thankfully from my point of view, I'd be more than happy if either of those two won, as I would if Melora or Amanda won, although I don't expect them to. At this stage, I think Jojo joins Iman and Jimmie in the final as I can't see the judges not saving her over any other couple if she lands in the bottom two again. That leaves one more spot. My hope is that Melora makes it, but I have a horrible feeling that it's going to be Olivia or Cody.

Next week, I expect us to lose two women with Cody's fanbase dragging his lame ass through. It will probably be any combination of Amanda, Olivia, Melora and Suni. Will all come down to performances, scores and votes on the night. I'm hoping for Olivia, but expecting the worst.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I’m very concerned no one’s voting this season except for Cody’s cult, and he’s going to Bobby Bones his way into a win. 

I need Jojo, Iman, or Jimmie to pull through for me. Or, you know, even Olivia, she keeps growing on me and I feel like Val is more relaxed this season in a way I’m enjoying.

Well, Jojo, Iman and Jimmie got my 10 votes each this week. I usually also throw votes to Suni. Every year, it seems that a front runner gets the "scare." "See, you still have to vote. Don't get complacent even though they're getting the highest scores from the judges."

As for Spicer being there. He's on a book tour. He was on Maher blathering on with his bullshit on Friday. So, his publicists probably arranged for a camera shot.  

• Useful 5
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

HIPPA doesn't work the way people think it does. What it does is prohibit a healthcare provider from divulging confidential patient health information to third parties who do not have a legitimate need to know such information. It does NOT prohibit a third party from asking the patient for this information directly.

HIPPA violations of privacy can happen in the workplace. Disclosing someone else’s medical information to just anyone else is one of these. For example, a manager can ask an employee for a doctors note/documentation/proof, etc. of illness, absences,etc. However, a manager is not allowed to tell everyone else in the workplace why said person is out out the office/sick, etc.

https://factorialhr.com/blog/hipaa-violations-in-the-workplace/#whattoknow

What is a Violation?

A HIPAA infringement is a failure to comply with any aspect of the standards and provisions of the HIPAA security rule. This can include the unauthorized use and disclosure of an individual’s PHI.

https://www.jotform.com/blog/does-hipaa-apply-to-employers/

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

First off, small correction: JoJo is not a lesbian, she is pansexual. There is a difference, so just for future reference, she was in a relationship with a woman, but she isn't a lesbian. 

Second off, I do think that, with JoJo hitting the bottom, she's not a lock to win anymore. I was hoping that the portion of the audience who would have a problem with a same-sex partnership (in particular, a women same sex partnership) would be overpowered, but alas, that's not the case. Look at how the remaining men have NOT hit the bottom two and most of the women have, at this point (besides Amanda and Melora, but I kind of expect them to hit the bottom next week). 

JoJo is great. She seems like a good sport, she does well, and I think her partnership with Jenna IS important for the show's overall future. I get why the show NEEDS her to stay to finals. This needs to be a successful partnership, or else the show will be scared off of doing any more same-sex partnerships for the foreseeable future. Even if she doesn't win (which I actually don't know if she can anymore), I think her purpose on this show IS important. Regardless of what people think of JoJo herself, what she represents DOES matter for this show. 

Thank you for the correction. I know I misspoke without intending to do so,

I totally agree with everything you said here. I had thought all along that one of the reasons that their first pairing of same sex partners included a professionally trained dancer was to ensure that the couple could make it to the finals, because it really is important and is part of a larger dialogue in general. 

Since this is the first season I have watched the whole show, so I don’t have a frame of reference for how viewership has voted in the past.

There could be a number of reasons she landed in the bottom two, I don’t think it is just one thing but a combination of factors.

I remember years on So You Think You Can Dance ago a top contestant, who seemed destined for the finals, ended up in the bottom two. Next week, back on the top. People may have assumed she was a sure thing so they threw their votes to others. 

That may be what happened here. It doesn’t help that the judges are sending out strong signals that they love Jojo.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MissPriss said:
2 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

Tyra's stylists continue to hate her

…along with many of us.

I HATE her look and the way she spits (emphasizes) every word. She is just annoying. 

And no one will ever confess WHY?   WHY Tyra?  HOW Tyra?  WTF Tyra?  She is a laughingtock and it BLEEDS onto the show.   How 'bout BYE Tara?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Jojo's fan base being too young to be interested in DWTS, 

...and probably the main reason she was selected for the show.  Sadly, it's not working.

I wasn't a fan--I wasn't a non-fan ( I see her "merch" all the time at a dollar store--it's a LOT!), but I am amazed every week.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

It reminds me of those beauty pageants for children, where seven/eight/etc. year old girls are dressed, made up, and trained to act sexy. 

"Toddlers & Tiaras."   Do you know it's BAAAAACK??  Old shows, (interesting?)...and a look at yesterday's contestants...today.  I think it's also on TLC...

"This fan-favorite series is back with even more glitter, glamour and drama than ever before. This new supersized season revisits the cutthroat world of child beauty pageants – all the pretty and now so pretty – revealing how the circuit has evolved over the last few years."

15 hours ago, Electruck said:

She’s a former Rockette, and it seems she can’t shake the emotionless perfection they have. Her face may show expression, but it doesn’t carry through to her body.

She's also a former Broadway actress/dancer ... several shows over several years.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don’t know why people are so surprised about JoJo. Middle aged Middle America isn’t going to vote for a lesbian.

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

YIKES!  What are your plans NOW, Middle-aged Middle America?   

2 hours ago, Emily-D said:

After seven weeks and last night with Jojo going in the bottom two, I'm now confident enough to say that one of Jimmie or Iman is going to win this thing. Whilst Jimmie is the better dancer, Iman is more of a standout when he has a really good routine. Plus when Iman gets to the final he'll be able to redo that contemporary, as well as a freestyle where he can throw Daniella all over the place with his strength and win over the audience. I can easily see him getting two perfect scores and a mirrorball.

I agree. After 30 seasons of witnessing the DWTS demographic's voting tendencies, I also predict that Jimmie and Iman will be final 2. Although, I would give the edge to Jimmie to win as he is technically the better dancer and the demographic most likely has more country music fans than basketball fans.

I think Amanda might get third, as she came out of the gate strong. Good first impressions can often generate enough support that can last until the finale.

Finally, I predict either JoJo or Olivia will get the fourth spot, as the show and the judges seem to really like them and will want to get at least one of them into the finals.

The one wild card, I think, is Cody. His dancing has been fine, but hasn't had any standout performances. However, he obviously has enough passionate fans that have kept him out of the bottom.

• Love 1

This competition is a crock of BS. Jojo Siwa has had dance training, Amanda Kloots has had dance training, Olivia Jade's parents are probably paying people to rig the vote for her.

I think Dancing with the Stars should be about people like Miz and Cody who you didn't know could dance, but worked hard and put in the effort. It shouldn't be about professional dancers or people with backgrounds like figure skating or gymnastics which lend themselves to dancing.

1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

HIPPA violations of privacy can happen in the workplace. Disclosing someone else’s medical information to just anyone else is one of these. For example, a manager can ask an employee for a doctors note/documentation/proof, etc. of illness, absences,etc. However, a manager is not allowed to tell everyone else in the workplace why said person is out out the office/sick, etc.

I see this frequently misspelled... it's HIPAA.  Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.  I see so many people always saying everything is a HIPAA violation when it isn't.  I agree that HIPAA violations can happen in the workplace (and not just in a hospital or doctor office setting).  But I think the situations here are different.  I believe Tyra is an executive producer of this show now.  It's one thing for Tyra to share gossip that she's so excited for Janice from accounting who just found out she's pregnant.  If Janice was trying to keep this a surprise, that announcement might be a HIPAA violation, especially if she told Tyra not to tell anyone.

The contestants on this show have agreed to appear on camera and invite the camera into their lives.  We always see interviews of them during practice talking about very personal moments and subjects.  It's not a HIPAA violation to air those interviews because they presumably gave consent.  Similarly, on last night's show, I would imagine there is some kind of blanket consent that they must have given to the show.  I don't think Tyra would just announce things like that... she is probably fed information in her earpiece.  ABC and the show have plenty of lawyers on staff that would surely make sure it's ok for her to say these things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I had the impression that Tyra was (clumsily) trying to emphasize the fact that Suni was sick from something other than Covid.

So she thought it would be better to announce to the entire viewing audience that an introverted and reserved girl was puking and/or had diarrhea?

• Love 6

I really can't see where the votes will split from this point on but my gut tells me that Len's favorite is Melora and he will vote for her over almost anyone unless the dance that night is wildly uneven.  His tiebreaking ability is the one wildcard I haven't seen discussed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

So she thought it would be better to announce to the entire viewing audience that an introverted and reserved girl was puking and/or had diarrhea?

Well, I did say "clumsily"...  :)

This is Tyra we're talking about!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I think Dancing with the Stars should be about people like Miz and Cody who you didn't know could dance, but worked hard and put in the effort.

For reference, Cody's background: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-11-01/dancing-with-the-stars-cody-rigsby-peloton

"...Not bad for a job Rigsby took to earn a few hundred bucks while trying to make it as a professional dancer."

"Rigsby says he was always a natural performer, teaching his sixth-grade classmates the choreography he picked up from Spears’ videos. Though there was rarely enough money for dance lessons, he became involved in show choir and musical theater."

"After college, this led him to New York to train as a dancer, juggling professional gigs (performing with Nicki Minaj at a Victoria’s Secret fashion show) with whatever side hustle would help pay his bills (cater-waiter jobs)."

"Lovewell, who first bonded with Rigsby when they were hired to dance at a lavish Venetian-themed wedding in Washington, D.C., was immediately struck by his sense of humor. “He says the things you’re thinking but would never say out loud, but it’s not mean,” she says. “It’s this delicate balance.”

Rigsby was working at the Box, a nightclub on the Lower East Side, when he heard about a new fitness company looking for performers interested in teaching. He sent in a headshot to Peloton, figuring it would be a good side hustle."

Honestly it's why I'm so annoyed by him, he has the background and he's still only as good as Mike. [Insert Tyra, "WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU" clip here] Like it doesn't seem like he's done super intricate choreography in his past, if you watch the Nikki Minaj clip, but I would have thought he'd have better stage presence, and more confidence?

The only ones left with no dance background that I can tell are Iman, Jimmy, and Olivia. Who honestly all have a shot at making the finals. You could argue gymnastics is not dance background and include Suni, maybe, but gymnasts on this show are also usually considered ringers. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"Mike"?! I had to Google the cast! That's like saying "Eldrick" to "Who's the greatest golfer?"!

*shrugs, adjusts grandma shawl, pushes up reading glasses* 

I know him best as Mike from Real World (Back to New York). Who always rode that line between endearing and annoying, was super sheltered and said ignorant things but seemed willing to learn in a sort of love/hate friendship with Coral, who occasionally ran around the loft doing a weird character he called "The Miz" 

(I will miss him, he continues to be endearing/annoying, and I liked his commitment) 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

It is Tyra. She’s not really great with the adlibbing or thinking on her feet. I guarantee Tom would have assured everyone it’s not COVID without embarrassing the girl.

27 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

I really can't see where the votes will split from this point on but my gut tells me that Len's favorite is Melora and he will vote for her over almost anyone unless the dance that night is wildly uneven.  His tiebreaking ability is the one wildcard I haven't seen discussed.

This! I loved Melora’s waltz the best in the relay, but I knew Len would vote for her before she even danced. She’s clearly his favorite. I think unless she’s in the bottom with JoJo - and even that’s questionable - he will choose to save her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Oh wow.  Didn't see that coming.  Altho it did seem to me that he was better the first few eps and more wooden the last few.  I thought maybe it was an injury.  Thanks for the 411 🙃

A few weeks ago, I said that The Miz and Jimmie were my favorites from the men.  Since then, while Mike is still enthusiastic, I think he reached his peak while Jimmie kept improving.  In fact, Iman became my second favorite out of the males.  I was laughing at Mike's dance because of how he held his head.  I'm not surprised that the judges especially Len said something.  I'm fine with The Miz going last night.

The relay groups were odd.  They put the three worst technical dancers in the same group.  I would have given a point to Iman just because he was the most entertaining and Cody would have been my second choice.

Out of the second group, I agree with the judges that I would have given the point to Olivia.  The third group was the closest but I would have given it to Melora. 

After Amanda danced and listening to the judges critiques, I thought she was a goner.  I thought they were harsh but were setting it up so that she would go home.  I think she's better at ballroom because of her lines.  I also get the critiques when it comes to performance since I've previously mentioned it before too.  Maybe, I need to re-watch but watching her dance and critiques last night, I thought Len was just grumpy and would continue being a grump the whole night.  But he wasn't.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4