Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E08 Queen Night

• Start Topic

I’m old…my senior year in high school, as I drove my little Chevy Vega wagon back and forth to work, “A Day at the Races” was my soundtrack.  I can remember the Japanese part of “Teo Torriate” word for word to this day.

• Love 4
Just now, DEL901 said:

Poor Suni…she looked really out of place… she was not feeling well at all but powered through.  

My mom was nervous for her when she was being spun around during that dance. 

(OKAY, Tyra, we got the point, let's move on.)

I think this was the best trio of the night, they were all great during that. I loved Melora's spin at the end of her portion of the dance. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Sile said:

Well they're my favorite band of all time and I think they should be everybody else's, too!  Then again, I'm older than most everybody there except for the three original judges and maybe Melora and Tyra.

Well, there's a preceding wee little quartet called The Beatles.....

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Why the hell was Sean Spicer in the audience?

I don't usually post during the show, but had to come here to ask the same thing. I noticed his beady eyes behind a mask earlier, but I guess he wanted to get noticed and took it off after Jimmie's dance. Like someone else said, it almost ruined the high from Jimmie's dance. It was bad enough when he was on the show, but he's even grosser now.

Is the cost too high to pay for the rights to all the songs? They did the same thing during Britney night where some were the original songs, but many were not. I'm at least glad the band didn't get to butcher "Another One Bites the Dust."

Amanda is one of those technically great dancers that I just feel "blah" when I watch them, even with a high-energy dance like tonights.

I just enjoy watching Olivia. I don't know why I'm always surprised at how good she is.

Jimmie is definitely one of my faves.

Sometimes it is ridiculous how during these weeks EVERYONE supposedly adores whatever the theme/performer/band is (though it's a little easier to believe with a mega-popular band like Queen.) Some people though it was obvious weren't BSing like JoJo and Jimmie.

JoJo and Jenna were amazing again! Glad they didn't shy away from making it sexy! I actually don't think I'd heard that song, and I loved it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I don't know, but Alan sure looked like Freddie from certain angles during that dance.

I agree with the judges - Amanda's a favorite, but I do think that dance was a bit frenetic. 

He held his body the way Freddie held his body in the video of him singing that song.  His clothes were fitting him perfectly Freddie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

What a coincidence that Queen is every single person's favorite band of all-time!

It’s gonna be awkward next week when Janet Jackson is going to be their favorite artist of all time, when Britney Spears was already their favorite artist of all time.

• LOL 19
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, seasons said:

I am worried for Suni. I'm afraid her anxiety is involved. Poor kid. I hope she is ok.

Did she dance tonight? I missed it.

She did but she ran off right after they finished and was backstage during the judging. (They did Paso Doble to We Will Rock You.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

So. Much. Bullshit.

Miz was far from the best dancer, but also far from the worst.  And I don’t buy Jenna and JoJo as bottom two.

I dont either. A way to fool her fanbase into voting harder so their precious "History couple" goes nowhere. Such Bullshit. I knew that's what Olivia got all those bonus points to ensure she stays. Such Bullshit Production needs to stay out of it. 

• Love 5

I’m very concerned no one’s voting this season except for Cody’s cult, and he’s going to Bobby Bones his way into a win. 

I need Jojo, Iman, or Jimmie to pull through for me. Or, you know, even Olivia, she keeps growing on me and I feel like Val is more relaxed this season in a way I’m enjoying.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Now we know why Olivia got all the bonus points.  I’m betting she would have been in the bottom two otherwise.  Having JoJo there adds drama and galvanizes her fans.  

They sure are working overtime to keep her around!

Not a fan of the Miz, but it’s tacky how they got rid of him.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Where ?   When?   I love Adam.  

I saw Queen + Adam Lambert, what a show.  He's not Freddie Mercury (and nobody ever will be), but the thing was that he didn't try to be.  He was his glorious self and an incredible entertainer in his own right.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, nickp1991 said:

we can’t let jojo and jenna go home after dancing like this on national television!! we deserve this! we need to assemble the votes for jojo

No fucking thanks. Production and Judges Pick already have a seat locked in finals. 

• Love 7
Just now, Sile said:

I saw Queen + Adam Lambert a couple years ago, what a show!  He's not Freddie Mercury (and nobody ever will be), but the thing was that he didn't try to be.  He was his glorious self and an incredible entertainer in his own right.  

10 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

All of their pearl-clutching over JoJo in the bottom was right on the edge of being disrespectful to The Miz.

And to the voting audience. "How dare you put our pick in Bottom 2 America! Tsk Tsk we'll show you"

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

Miz was far from the best dancer, but also far from the worst.  And I don’t buy Jenna and JoJo as bottom two.

I kind of do. If her fanbase got comfortable in not voting as much for her, along with the men clearly having killer (queen) fanbases (only three men have gone and all three men were the only ones in bottom 2), coupled with the portion of the audience who hate her and are voting for anyone else to lower JoJo's points, I could see her being in the bottom two. 

The Miz definitely should have gone against JoJo, but not against someone like Cody. 

Still, it's a shame that Cody still scrapes by. His fanbase is clearly relentless, despite him being the worst in the bunch. I'm very worried about more men making it to the finals than the women.

I got worried for Suni as well tonight, but her fanbase clearly went all in because they knew tonight would land her in danger with her scores. I wouldn't have been surprised if she was in the bottom, but I'm glad she wasn't. She did the best she could while sick.

Olivia did do great, but I believe that she REALLY needed those relay points.

It was a solid night, overall. Iman gives me such joy. Is he the most technically good? No, but he's enjoying himself, he's getting better, and Daniella really works to his strengths. His jive was actually the best of the three. It may not have been perfect, but he was given loads of jive and he was so excited, I noticed he slipped as he realized his part was over and he had to get off stage. 

Jimmie did great work tonight. I do think he's underrated and not talked enough about. He would shine much brighter in another season, but he's against some really great celebs. 

Melora's always a delight to watch. And Amanda did well, but she's so forgettable. 

So many production errors tonight. But it was still one of the best nights so far.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Sile said:

I saw Queen + Adam Lambert, what a show.  He's not Freddie Mercury (and nobody ever will be), but the thing was that he didn't try to be.  He was his glorious self and an incredible entertainer in his own right.  

I seen where Adam said he loved Freddie, would never dream of trying to be like him and that the guys in Queen don't want him to be, just be himself 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The relay teams weren't grouped together on accident. Team Foxtrot is the top three vote-getters (JoJo and Jimmie I can see it naturally them in the top and the judges seem to be determined to get Olivia Jade into the finale; her quickstep did not deserve three 10s and what do you know she got all four of the allotted relay points), the women of Team Viennese Waltz are the middle vote-getters, and Team Jive are the three TPTB want to be voted out the next three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iman and/or The Miz knock out someone in the middle tier, though.

Of the Amanda/Suni/Melora set, Amanda's the most vulnerable especially after tonight's comments. Suni and Melora are on upward trajectories (Melora more so than Suni) and Amanda's stayed the same. She dances fine but there's no...there there for me. I forget about her by the end of the night. Carrie Ann was right on target with her commentary but Tyra messed it up asking what a metronome was. The way Len was talking when he judged her jive I expected a 7 from him but Amanda got straight 8s and even the pity 9 from Bruno.  

Jimmie, on the other hand, he might not have the technical skills of an Amanda or a JoJo but he's the type of contestant I love on this show because he shows up every week to work and he improves. And he's clearly having a blast, he's even converted Emma to mouthing the words to the songs! Same with Iman who is by far the best basketball player to be on DWTS. Is he the greatest technically? No. Do I like to watch him and want him to stay over Amanda? Yes. His 'thank you mommy' was all kinds of adorable, btw.

*Emma, can you please say something on air next week, Tyra is STILL pronouncing Jimmie's name wrong!

Tyra doesn't know how to read the room at all. Suni is introverted and reserved, we in the audience can see that, why can't you? What in the world made her think Suni wanted the entire world knowing she had to run off-stage to throw up? (Deal with tummy issues, whatever, Tyra.) And she doubled-down and asked Suni herself after the relay dance about her sickness. SHUT UP TYRA. The best moment of tonight was when they came back from one of the last commercials and her mike was muted. Hee.

The Miz knowing as soon as it was down to him and JoJo that he was toast made me want him to stay.

• Love 8

My first time watching a whole season, and I am really disappointed and confused about the scores from these “professional judges”. 
I am flummoxed that Olivia Jade keeps getting higher scores than some others. She’s a beautiful dancer but not that good.

Also, I don’t understand their love of and constant high scores for Cody. Yes he can technically dance, but IMO something is off about his carriage and face which makes his performances not so enjoyable.

I think the the most improved dancers over the season have been The Miz, Jimmy, Suni and Iman.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, jackjill89 said:

Just like Grease was everyone's favorite movie!

Yeah, I’d prefer something closer to honesty.  Maybe not, “OMG, Grease is my favorite movie EVER!!”, but “Oh, Olivia Newton John was so pretty in that movie!” or, “Oh, fun…50s costumes!”

• Love 8

Honestly, I would be fine with anyone winning except Cody. I like him as a person but I feel he's the weakest link left, dance-wise. I suspect that he is the one (and maybe the only one) with a massive fanbase. 

Here's the thing about Olivia Jade: If she had come to rehearsal whining about the dances and the moves being too difficult, then I would say that she hadn't redeemed herself one bit. However, she hasn't done that. Sure, we only know what we see, but I suspect that if she had come off snotty and entitled we would have seen this because DRAMA for the show. The fact that we haven't seen anything to that effect tells me that there isn't anything to show. She appears to show up and work hard without complaining. I think THAT is a fair road to redemption. Her parents, on the other hand, haven't done anything to redeem themselves yet...

It seems like a lot of theme nights are centered around musical artists this season: Britney Night, Queen Night, and Janet Jackson Night. And then Grease the musical. I'm curious as to how that all came about. I will say that Queen is a good theme because they have a lot of variety in their songs, stylistically. 

Tyra is exactly how I imagine Carrie Ann would be if she were the one hosting the show. The moment where her mic was muted was pure gold. 

Is it me or does it feel like there haven't been a lot of Sambas this season so far?

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

I dont either. A way to fool her fanbase into voting harder so their precious "History couple" goes nowhere. Such Bullshit. I knew that's what Olivia got all those bonus points to ensure she stays. Such Bullshit Production needs to stay out of it. 

"Production" never stays out of it, but there's no evidence they've ever messed with the votes. I don't buy the conspiracy theory. I've seen plenty of people say that they wouldn't be surprised if JoJo was a surprise elimination. This show has a very big conservative fanbase, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of that played into her being in the bottom two, that and what usually happens - fandom complacency.

48 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

And to the voting audience. "How dare you put our pick in Bottom 2 America! Tsk Tsk we'll show you"

Eh, the viewing audience sucks a lot of the time with their votes. This idea that JoJo or Olivia has a locked place in the finals because "production" wants it so, doesn't match up to reality IMO. Production and even the judges can only do so much when we've got the audience vote to contend with. Do you think the producers wanted Bobby freaking Bones to win? That's the whole reason we have the judges save in the first place. And the judges save can't do anything if we get in a position where, let's say, JoJo and Olivia are both in the bottom two.

I had a hard time paying attention to Suni and Cody's dances. The versions of those songs were so atrocious! I loathed the last "We are the Champions" as well.

I thought that was really cool Iman got a shout-out from Lupita for last week's dance. I've given Iman a lot of criticism over the last few weeks, but I thought his jive was by far the best.

That second group was really hard, but I did give the slight edge to Olivia.

I agreed with someone's earlier statement that maybe Melora was peaking, but she won me back with her waltz. I thought it was fantastic!

Okay, backstage people, 'fess up? Who messed with Tyra's mike? Come on over and accept your prize!

I don't know how it's possible for Tyra to get worse? Other than maybe needing reassurance it wasn't COVID-related, no one needed to know the details of how Suni was sick. Also, leave her alone with pestering her with questions at the end.

Derek made me laugh with desire for Iman's abs and his and Jimmie's wardorbe.

Never agreed with Len more than when he put his head in his hands after Carrie-Ann got up on the table.

LOL that Miz clearly knew what was happening. Whitney's smile told the same story - she knew they were toast. I'm glad Derek didn't pretend and just gave Miz his props but didn't try to sell they were actually contemplating saving him. I think he was the right person to go. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

The problem with Tyra is that she treats DWTS like it’s America’s Next Top Model with the over the top fashion, too much talking, and asking the contestants probing questions. Suni was sick and should’ve been left alone.

I don’t believe JoJo was actually in the bottom two, but hey, who knows? Maybe the general DWTS audience has a problem with two women dancing together. 

Olivia is a good dancer, but it’s obvious production is stepping in and helping her ever since she was in the bottom two with Mel C. Everytime the powers that be have pulled the strings, that contestant makes it to the final and ends up in fourth place anyways. 

At this point, I like Iman the best. I look forward to seeing his dances with Daniella every week. Tonight, their paso wasn’t the best, but I really enjoyed their jive. He looks like he’s having a great time out there.

• Love 6

So I’m supremely annoyed.  I liked Melora last week, but tonight she was all about plugging her show, having her “young costars” come watch her bring the energy of her character on the show into her dance.  I mean wut. 
I lived in LA (Marina del Rey) for ten years and it so reminded me of the self-centered prattle of the actors and wanna be actors. I get that it’s their whole lives, but don’t talk at me and expect me to share your enthusiasm. Lol I’m jaded. 

15 minutes ago, Steph619 said:

I don’t believe JoJo was actually in the bottom two, but hey, who knows? Maybe the general DWTS audience has a problem with two women dancing together.

I don’t think they fake the actual bottom two. I have no problem believing she was there - first, I think she’s been getting such consistent high scores I don’t think people believed they needed to vote for her, second, I really don’t think a lot of people are voting. If the total vote count is low, you can see wild swings week to week, which we’re seeing. 

And also why I’m concerned about an extremely annoying Cody upset, because he does have passionate fans who are organized and way too into him. 

• Love 5

The biggest problem with the format of the show is that if they bring in a ringer like Jojo, who is pretty much a full time professional dancer then everyone else is pretty much just dancing for 2nd place. It doesn't matter that she isn't a ballroom dancer, someone who dances for a living has a huge advantage against someone who never dances at all. Regardless of who Jojo is up against in the bottom two, the judges were likely to vote the other couple out. 

I'm really sad that Miz got voted out because he was not a dancer and he was working so hard and giving it so much. He seemed to truly be having a fun time and I will miss his personality on the show. 

I love Cody but he's just not that great, at this rate Iman and Jimmie are both much better than he is and unfortunately his crazy cult is probably going to propel him forward. I really do hope every week that he will be eliminated so that it will shut down the cult's smugness. Although the judges better be careful those women will be coming for them in that case. 

I'm kind of over the Amanda beat downs by the judges. Its jarring to hear all the criticism they give her and then the tongue baths they give Jojo. They don't seem to criticize anyone else as harshly either. 

I would mind Jojo a lot less if she would tone it down by about 50%. She is so ridiculously over the top, not in a charming way, just complete cringe. I don't care how much she is about positivity, listening to her segments make me want to rip my ears off. 

• Love 9

JoJo is so versatile. It was great to see her and Jenna rocking the sexy in Body Language. For once, I didn't mind the matchy-matchy costumes either. It worked.

Iman is such an interesting dancer to me. He's not strong at the technical ballroom aspects, but he has beautiful flow, musicality, and commitment to character. He's always fun to watch, and of course, Daniella showcases him beautifully. I will be shocked if he's not in the finals.

On the other hand, I am surprised Amanda and Cody are still here. They're better dancers, but they're not magnetic on TV. I guess Cody has his fanbase, but does Amanda have a fanbase? I find her forgettable even though I recognize her skill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, nomodrama said:

The biggest problem with the format of the show is that if they bring in a ringer like Jojo, who is pretty much a full time professional dancer then everyone else is pretty much just dancing for 2nd place. It doesn't matter that she isn't a ballroom dancer, someone who dances for a living has a huge advantage against someone who never dances at all. Regardless of who Jojo is up against in the bottom two, the judges were likely to vote the other couple out. 

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Amanda is just as much of a ringer. For some reason, a lot of people who have an issue with JoJo being a ringer don't seem to have that same issue with Amanda.

• Love 7