Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Midnight Train to Royston

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I'm sad they leaked the 'NSync thing ahead of the episode because it was the only thing that made me laugh the whole time.

I'm done with Nate. It's hilarious he's fully grey now, but just go off with Rupert and never come back. Also - when did Ted actually take credit for Nate's idea? Isn't the whole wonderkid thing because everyone knows that NATE made the "genius" play? I know he's up his own ass and spitting at mirrors in public places and sexually assaulting women who are trying to help him, but ... okay, there's no but. Just let the door hit you on the way out and leave us alone.

I need Roy and Keeley to make it, but they are making it very hard today. I really hoped Roy would react the way that one of the posters here predicted about the Jamie love confession, but I understand why he didn't. What's going on that Roy goes from "I love you Keeley" and "I don't want to waste any time" to not mentioning he has a girlfriend when Phoebe's teacher asks? Also, do I not understand British tabloids or doesn't it seem like a former model and a former footballer of Roy's status would be getting papped? (I know Roy stole the SD card on their first date, but that surely wouldn't have stopped it from happening ever again?) Shouldn't it be public knowledge that Roy and Keeley are dating? And as much time as we've seen Phoebe with Keeley (including freakin' Christmas), are we to assume that Keeley has never come up in class, at all?

I definitely thought Rebecca and Sam actually broke up when she asked for the "break," but now it seems like she's in love with him or something? (Also, way to blow up Rebecca's spot, Keeley! Luckily, Ted didn't know and kept it rolling, but damn girl, shut your mouth!)

I did love Ted giving Dr. Sharon an army man, even if she didn't know what it meant. I also love Mae giving the pub trio a mental health hotline when they asked for it.

I'm ready to leave the dark forest now.

• Love 12

This episode was...oof. Tough to watch. 

I feel like next episode Keeley and Roy are either gonna break up or get engaged.

I don't like how everyone's all non-chalant about Sam and Rebecca considering she's more than twice his age and, more importantly, his boss. And this situation with the billionaire is exactly why they should have never gotten involved.

Loved the Good Will Hunting "son of a bitch stole my move." That's my favorite part of the movie. And it was improvised! (But that's probably common knowledge at this point.)

Laughed out loud at "This is Trent Crimm." "The Independent." But fuuuuucccckkkkkk you, Nate. What does he think is going to happen by outing what happened with Ted? That Ted will be fired and he'll be named head coach? Like I said last week, he's had one good play. That doesn't mean he'll make a good head coach. Even if he is a wonderkid.

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 15

Y'all who called Nate spilling the panic attack info are brilliant. Fuck you, Nate. I no longer find you redeemable. 

I regret watching this as soon as possible. I need the next step of the story now. 

• Love 15

Nate is insufferable, but I get why he is the way he is. He still sucks.

Sam is amazing. Please don’t go, Sam!

The team dancing Bye Bye Bye was absolutely fantastic. I rewatched that at least three times, and they were so excited afterwards that I couldn’t stop laughing.

I’m going to miss Dr. Sharon, especially her scenes with Ted.

Damn it, the writers are fucking with Roy and Keeley.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

I would’ve thought Trent was informed enough to not write a tabloid hit piece about the panic attacks but turn it into a discussion about mental health that supported Ted and others who suffer from panic disorders. I understand why he felt he had to pursue the story, but way to shame, Trent Crimm, The Independent.

I’m not a fan of what the writers have done to Nate this season. Are they trying to force Ted to drop the façade, put on his big boy Underoos, and fire Nate?

Oi. I think Roy and Keely realized their relationship is in trouble, and it’s not because of Nate, the teacher, or Jamie.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 7

I loved this episode. The musical cues were fantastic.  Prateek Kuhad? Radiohead? Amazing. 

-At this point Nate can go jump into the sea. He's not beyond redemption but he's going to have to have a big fall before he realizes the error of his way.  If he left Richmond for Rupert/some other team, I wouldn't view that as a betrayal. People make career moves all the time. He's not beholden to Richmond. BUT betraying someone's confidence is another matter completely. He's doing these things that he views as power moves when they're dick moves. 

-Jamie went hard at "Bye Bye Bye". I expected nothing less from him. 

-I can honestly say as much as the show touches me I have never cried or even gotten misty eyed until tonight's episode with the when Ted left the army man in Dr. Sharon's drink and the transition to Sam approaching his home with Rebecca waiting. 

-Big laughs: Ted saying Dr. Sharon spelled "favourite" wrong, the Banksy joke. "Sexy Motherf*cker". RIP Mr. Nelson.", at Ted having Trent saved as "Maybe: Trent Crimm". I have numbers like that in my phone. I use question marks though.

-Very meta about this time last year Rebecca confessed something to Ted. Discarding the two very special episodes this season, for all intents and purposes this was ep 9.  What will ep 9 (or 11) of s3 bring?

-Love Keeley and Roy together but will be fine with them breaking up. That's life. Couples either break up or stay together forever.  Sometimes the love is just for a season in your life.  That said, I would hope they wouldn't break up over Jamie Fucking Tartt.  Roy doesn't feel threatened by Nate, so he's not that bothered about the kiss - he knows nothing would ever come from it.  But Jamie is the real wild card.  And I hope Keeley told him just to get it off her chest and not as retaliation for him not telling Phoebe's teacher that he had a girlfriend. 

-Damn, Ted did a number on Trent Crimm, The Independent for him to give up his source.  

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I would’ve thought Trent was informed enough to not write a tabloid hit piece about the panic attacks but turn it into a discussion about mental health that supported Ted and others who suffer from panic disorders. I understand why he felt he had to pursue the story, but way to shame, Trent Crimm, The Independent.

I’m not a fan of what the writers have done to Nate this season. Are they trying to force Ted to drop the façade, put on his big boy Underoos, and fire Nate?

Oi. I think Roy and Keely realized their relationship is in trouble, and it’s not because of Nate, the teacher, or Jamie.

I don’t know if Ted’s first impulse is to fire Nate, but between this and kissing Keeley, who is both his co-worker and his other co-worker’s girlfriend, Nate has been doing a lot of shitting where he eats and he’s probably created one seriously tense work environment. He’s probably gonna have to go one way or another.

And just…what the actual fuck, Nate. You don’t start spreading the news about someone’s mental health in public. That’s not your information to hand out and I can’t believe that Nate doesn’t know that. If he was determined to shit on Ted to the media, there are plenty of other ways to do it - like the way he still isn’t learning about the game he coaches. And I don’t believe for a minute that Ted proactively takes credit for anyone else’s work. He always goes out of his way to give credit where it is due. Of course the media gives credit to the head coach. That’s how it works and as Roy said, that’s the job. Nate, a big fan of the game, should know that. He can fuck all the way off.

I think once Ted collects himself, he can turn this into an opportunity to talk about mental health. Rebecca would continue to back him and I’ll bet even Trent Crimm, The Independent would be happy to help him get the word out. But how is he supposed to trust Nate again? How is Roy supposed to trust him (it’s not like Nate didn’t know they were dating), and Beard has already been giving him the side-eye a bit. How can he continue to work there?

I really like Dr Sharon. I hope we somehow see her again.

I continue to be surprised that no one takes issue with Rebecca dating Sam, her employee.

• Like 1
  • Love 23

Fully expected:  Nate leaking the panic attacks.

Fully unexpected: Ted finding out instantly who did it.  If we're being honest, no actual journalist would ever leak a source like that.  The writing is taking liberties, but its a nice twist.

Somewhat expected:  Nate making a move on Keeley.  It's been clear for some time he fancies her.   It was genuine unclear how much he actually meant it when he apologized.  I think he had some fantasy in his head and just realized it wasn't coming true.

Somewhat unexpected: Keeley almost instantly telling Roy.  Only somewhat, because their relationship has clearly been about honesty, to a blunt extent.

Prediction time:  When confronted (and he will be, Ted will be wishy-washy but Rebecca will insist on it) Nate will threaten to go public with damaging information about Rebecca herself.  We will be left to think he somehow knows about Sam and Rebecca, and waiting for the other shoe to drop, she will tell Sam to take the Africa offer.

But in fact, the damaging info Nate leaks will actually be that Rebecca was initially trying to torpedo the team.  He'll have had this info from Rupert, who definitely had the tools to figure this out.  

The mess we will be left with for the season ender is:

Rebecca will be public enemy number one in that community.  There's no way a reveal of her actions to that community doesn't get VERY ugly.

Sam will have already accepted that offer, so Rebecca will be doubly deprived.  If the actor comes back to the show, it won't be right away.

Nate will definitely have to be out.  If he stays on the show I suspect it will be working for Rupert, and Rupert will magically have bought another team (over the break between seasons).   Nate will STILL be frustrated though, because he's certainly not going to be given a head coach job. 

Something will be brewing with Roy and Keeley. There IS such a thing as too much honesty, and it really feels like their story might chew on that concept.  I'm thinking Roy might also be thinking if he wants to stay single, since that question was clearly bothering him.  It won't be a breakup, but some prodding at the parameters of their relationship.  Maybe early next season.

The team will also lose that final game, because the fans will be savage in the stands, plus they themselves will be upset at their owner and already without their head in the game. Plus, presumably, they'll know about Nate at that point too, who having already argued with Rebecca and Ted and made good on his threat, is gone from the team.

Hard to say what Ted's next plot is, beyond losing that last game.

I think things HAVE to go as low as I've guessed above for The Empire Strikes Back comparison that was tossed off before the season. 

Edited by SnarkShark
  • Love 2

Well. Didn't love that and don't really have all that much to say about it, which makes me sad. I did love the callback of the "Congratulations, you both just met a cool person" line from the billionaire guy - that's exactly what Ted said when he introduced Trent and Ollie to one another in the restaurant way back in 1x03.

And I loved the dance routine. They were really giving it their all! I kept rewinding and focussing on a different person throughout, heh - Jan Maas was killing it in the background. I really wish we could spend more time with the team, because I live for those himbos.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

That said, I would hope they wouldn't break up over Jamie Fucking Tartt.  Roy doesn't feel threatened by Nate, so he's not that bothered about the kiss - he knows nothing would ever come from it.  But Jamie is the real wild card. 

I don't think Roy is so much upset at Jamie telling Keeley he loves her. But that Keeley waited so long to tell him. If Keeley had told him after they left the funeral or at least the next morning, he wouldn't have felt threatened by it. The worst he'd have felt was annoyed with Jamie but secure in that it didn't matter to Keeley. The fact that Keeley didn't tell him straight away is what makes it threatening because it signifies that it could have meant something to Keeley in terms of how she feels about Jamie.

I also think what Rebecca has just done to Sam is awful. She basically asked him not to move on with his life while she continues to think about whether or not she can be with him, while also saying that's not while she's doing. That's very unfair and pretty much one of the reasons why their relationship is such a very bad idea.

Edited by AllyB
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

So many great points above.  For now, I’m just going to mention one thing that hasn’t been covered….the topless pictures Roy’s niece drew.  He brought them home and put them on the table by the door.  Later in that scene, they were gone.  This show doesn’t do anything without a reason.  At first I thought it was just about the teacher who we have previously noted is interested in Roy.  But he could have dropped the pictures in a drawer if they didn’t have a greater purpose.  

When Nate kissed Keely, he was dressed exactly like Roy.  Standing in front of him was Roy’s girlfriend.  I think it was connected because I don’t remember any earlier scenes of him mooning over Keely.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I usually love Keeley but she’s starting to become that annoying female character that everyone is in love with and can do no wrong. I could be feeling this way though as her reaction to Jamie has annoyed me.

• Love 4

“My father left me, my left me and now you are leaving”… maybe not an exact quote, but I thought Ted might break down.  Instead, he took back his power and did the leaving, albeit kindly.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

When Nate kissed Keely, he was dressed exactly like Roy.  Standing in front of him was Roy’s girlfriend.  I think it was connected because I don’t remember any earlier scenes of him mooning over Keely.  

I noticed too that the suit that finally got the thumbs-up from Keeley looked like it belongs in Roy’s wardrobe (after a conversation about how Roy always wears black). I thought that said something about Keeley rather than Nate, who I thought was actually pulling off the plaid suit (just needed a better fit on the jacket).

I wasn’t surprised at Nate’s move on Keeley - while I don’t think he’s really been mooning over her, he did talk last season about how wonderful it must be to have someone like Keeley love you. And she’s always been kind to him, and Nate’s just the type of guy who would mistake that for something else.

• Love 9

I'm not sure why Keeley even bothered mentioning the Nate kiss to Roy. It seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in their relationship. I understand why the Jamie thing might be more problematic and worth mentioning.

I hope that the credits song being Karma Police is a hint at what's coming for Nate in the final episode.

• Love 3

I hope the show gets the plot about the panic attacks right. I'm glad Ted has already told his inner circle and Rebecca also knows about them. It would be great if we finally arrived at a point where someone suffering from panic attacks can be open about it because that in itself can reduce so much stress. Dealing with those suckers is hard enough without the constant worry about them disrupting life and how to cope while trying to hide what's going on. And they are so much more common than people realize, sadly.

That said: fuck you Nate! I also wish Trent Crimm would turn the article into a discussion about taboos surrounding mental health. And I'm glad he gave his source away. With that, Nate's days in the team should be counted. Which of course means he'll fall right into Rupert's loving embrace.

Billionaire was a bit of a douche which is a shame since that will reduce Sam's feelings of conflict about his future.

Roy and Keeley are open and honest about things that in another show would be used to create drama - and yet we can still see cracks in their relationship. They are not jealous but start to realize that maybe they do not want the same things from life. Impressive writing.

I'm also not ready to say goodby to Doc Sharon 😔

• Like 1
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, SHD said:

I'm not sure why Keeley even bothered mentioning the Nate kiss to Roy. It seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things in their relationship. I understand why the Jamie thing might be more problematic and worth mentioning.

I think she mentioned the Nate thing to sort of test the waters and see how he'd react. Obviously there's a big difference between that and Jamie's declaration, but it was like a starting point for being honest.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Firstly, watch any sport…the Coach is the face of the coaching squad.  Of course they often get input and suggestions, but no one ever breaks down each decision by whose idea it was.  

More importantly, Nate doesn’t realize that while the Coach gets credit for the wins, they also take the responsibility for the losses.  Can’t ever see Nate doing that.  He would throw everyone under the bus.  

• Like 1
  • Love 22
11 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

More importantly, Nate doesn’t realize that while the Coach gets credit for the wins, they also take the responsibility for the losses.  Can’t ever see Nate doing that.  He would throw everyone under the bus.  

Not only that but Ted made him a coach when he had been in charge of the kits. I would say that was Ted giving him credit.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16

Of all the unrealistically handled things on TV, Ted and Rebecca's conversation about Sam was the most unrealistic. The owner of a club tells the head coach that she is sleeping with one of the players and the head coach is all "omg I love it, right on." Sure. I get that Ted and Rebecca are pals and that Ted is a completely upbeat person who sees the positive side of everything but that shouldn't mean he can't be honest and realistic about things and should have told Rebecca that it was very unprofessional and could cause issues for the club, the team and Sam. I'm not a fan of that relationship at all but what bothers me the most is how everyone has been made to act like it is no big deal. That is 100% not at all the way that things would go. This is also one of those situations where if the genders were reversed...people would not be cheering things on as they are. 

At this point I am on the fence about Roy and Keeley. I would be thrilled if they were meant to be together but if they need to break up a bit and then reconnect down the line or if they need to be with different people then I'm ok with that. I just want Roy to be happy.  

Juno is so beautiful, why did they make her hair look like that in the scene with the conversation with Roy. She looked like she had hair plugs or a bad wig on. 

I love Dr. Sharon and Ted so much....don't make her leave!

Edited because I forgot to add that Nate is the absolute worst. I really hope that in this case they allow Ted to break from his persona a bit a react appropriately, with anger. 

Edited by nomodrama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, nomodrama said:

Juno is so beautiful, why did they make her hair look like that in the scene with the conversation with Roy. She looked like she had hair plugs or a bad wig on. 

Her hair is so curly in real life, I don't think it ever looks good when they straighten it. But I agree it looked especially bad in that scene. Yet Roy still said she looked 'cool as f*ck', or something like that. :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mledawn said:

Fuuuuuck you Nate. When has Ted ever taken credit for your ideas, you delusional salad. 

I do think Ted has the tools to turn that around to a positive discussion but definitely disappointed in Trent Crimm, The Independent, for not representing mental health issues better. His first article on Ted had nice comments at the end - perhaps it’s just a click bait headline.

This is especially awful since in the episode where Trent (Crimm, The Independent) spends the day with Ted, Ted specifically gives Nate  credit for the play in practice that Trent observes, even after Trent expresses surprise that the kit man would be designing plays for the team. Way to pay Ted back for his confidence in you, Nate, you jerk.

I read somewhere that Juno Temple is wearing a wig in the show (or maybe just a lot of extensions). When she has her hair back you can sometimes really tell. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Captain Carrot said:

How does Nate think this will end? Trent giving him up as the source sped things up, but it wouldn't have been hard to figure out who the source was. Here's the people that knew about the panic attack and what I see as Ted's opinion of them as a potential source:

Dr Fieldstone: There's no way she would do that.

Roy: Roy Kent would never go behind someone's back

Leslie: The guy that was willing to give up his office for the sake of the team?

Rebecca: She would have done that a long time ago if she had wanted to.

Coach Beard: The man who followed him to England.

Nate: The guy who talks about being a tiger to get back at people, has been verbally abusive, and wants the credit for every idea he ever had?

I wonder who the source was?

Yeah, I don’t think Nate is really thinking any of this through. Beard would never breathe a word of it. Roy’s moral compass would never allow such a thing and he clearly thinks the media is bullshit anyway. Higgins would never hurt the club that way. Nor Ted. Rebecca knows about the panic attack last season, but I don’t think she knows that’s what happened at the game for sure. Either way, she wouldn’t leak that. Neither would Keeley if Roy happened to tell her about it, which Roy wouldn’t do. Trent Crimm, The Independent didn’t have to reveal his source. It would take Ted about 10 seconds to figure it out.

And the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. Ted really lifted Nate up, and this is how Nate repays him. All because Nate feels like he’s owed something. He was a damn kit man and Ted made him a coach, yet Nate doesn’t see how rare that move is. And outside of how this may hurt the club, I don’t think Ted has told his son or ex-wife about what he’s been going through. We know his son follows the team, and there’s an excellent chance he will see that article, and now Ted has to explain to his young son what is happening, which is something he may not be ready to do. God. Nate, you suck.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Firstly, watch any sport…the Coach is the face of the coaching squad.  Of course they often get input and suggestions, but no one ever breaks down each decision by whose idea it was.  

I think this is where life will smack Nate down. He let the “wonder kid” stuff go to his head and now he’s not only convinced he can do Ted’s job, but that he deserves it. But he does not have the leadership/people skills to do Ted’s job. He doesn’t have the management skills to build a team - he’s had experience with one underling, and he treats him like shit. If he manages to land a coaching job (which would probably have to come from Rupert’s manipulations, because outside of some good press, what is Nate’s CV? Kit man plus one year of assistant coach experience that lasted until he decided to talk to the press about his boss’s personal health issues? Real impressive), he wouldn’t be able to manage the coaching team, the players wouldn’t respect him and would eat him alive.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Like 1
  • Love 16

I would be surprised if this is the only bit of gossip Nate has spread about   But the rest is not about Roy, so he has to find another way to use that to best effect  Rupert?   I don’t think Roy not reading scouting reports can hurt Roy effing Kent   But the mushroom tea story could hurt Beard.  Higgins’ screw up could only cost him with the club owner   Since it is Rebecca, she would understand   However, if it is Rupert, he’d fire him immediately.

I don’t think they can deal with the Nate issue in the one final episode this season.  I think everything will blow up and we’ll have to wait until next season (w high they are just now writing) to see how it shakes out….the 3 episode story arc that Jason and the team first envisioned.  

WAGs:  They win the game and the team gets promoted, but everything else is in shambles… Roy and Keely’s relationship is on the rocks.  , Sam chooses to stay, but Rebecca sells his contract for his own good,, but they both end up miserable (and the way that guy spent money, I also predict he will sell Sam’s contract back before next season is over). 

Rupert is definitely going to be part of what goes wrong…my prediction…Rupert secretly finds a way to force out Rebecca.  Nate brags to him about betraying Ted, although he doesn’t put it that way, and maybe spills a few other secrets in hopes of a job. In return, Rupert crucifies him and Nate has his own breakdown and his fate is uncertain at season end.  

• Love 2

I was going to say that the best use of the Backstreet Boys in a sitcom is still Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but then realised the song and dance the team were doing might be Nsync.

Sometimes this show just highlights that the writers don't really have the best grasp of the football world. There is no Ghanaian billionaire who is going to buy a team in Africa and then spend huge amounts of money bringing players in from Europe. It's financially insane and no African club will ever be bigger than the European clubs, because the league system and infrastructure just doesn't exist. Just like the idea of Jamie, a striker promising enough to start for Manchester City, being unable to get other teams to sign him on a free transfer.

But I did like Sam Richardson as Akufu. He's an incredibly funny man, even though this was a very reserved role.

Hannah Waddingham was killing it with her facial expressions in this episode, from shock over Akufu wanting to buy Sam to disgust at Higgins' rubbish play.

Honestly, even with Keeley, I'm really into the idea of Roy and Phoebe's teacher as a potential couple. She's just so wholesome and sensible and takes everything about Roy and about weird schoolkids completely in her stride. I've enjoyed the subtle chemistry in their scenes together.

Nate is a creep. What they've done with his character is really interesting because he started off as a plucky underdog who got picked on, but then he got the support system around him to flourish and, instead of appreciating it and becoming the man that he initially seemed like he could be, he's become an entitled, petty, paranoid bully with small man syndrome. He's paying back the mistreatment he suffered on other people and he still hates himself far more than anyone else could. 

The betrayal on Ted's face at the end... yet I still think he'll try to give Nate the benefit of curiosity and understanding.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, nomodrama said:

Of all the unrealistically handled things on TV, Ted and Rebecca's conversation about Sam was the most unrealistic. The owner of a club tells the head coach that she is sleeping with one of the players and the head coach is all "omg I love it, right on." Sure. I get that Ted and Rebecca are pals and that Ted is a completely upbeat person who sees the positive side of everything but that shouldn't mean he can't be honest and realistic about things and should have told Rebecca that it was very unprofessional and could cause issues for the club, the team and Sam. I'm not a fan of that relationship at all but what bothers me the most is how everyone has been made to act like it is no big deal. That is 100% not at all the way that things would go. This is also one of those situations where if the genders were reversed...people would not be cheering things on as they are

This. I know everyone loves each other and they’re all family, etc but it’s wild to me that not one person Rebecca has told has been like, “Are you out of your mind?” Keeley briefly mentioned the press (which again, I’m having a hard time believing that Rebecca can just sit outside Sam’s house and there’s no fear of photos. I know he’s not Prince William or whatever, but Britain has eleventy million tabloids and we’ve seen that Sam is the IT man right now. And given that he spent the day with a billionaire, I feel like people would notice) but no one has mentioned any of the very obvious cons in this “relationship.” Bringing Ted into it now puts him in a bad position because whatever happens with Sam and the team, Ted knows about this mess. She can’t unring the bell. I know it’s all about Tedbecca for that scene but damn, I need someone to shake Rebecca and remind her she’s the CEO of the business where Sam is an employee. If he gets a job offer somewhere else, her personal feelings CAN’T matter. That’s an actual Boss Ass Bitch. 

And @DEL901, as soon as I saw Trent Crimm, The Independent’s text, I immediately wondered where Nate was when Rebecca made that confession. We already know Ted’s kid heard. 

• Love 17

I guess I don’t get the affinity for Phoebe’s teacher others have. Nothing wrong with her, she’s fine. But I don’t feel any “struck by fucking lightning” vibes I do with Roy and Keely. I actually think they’ll get engaged. They are sending up so many false flags of an impending break up. Damn it. I believe in rom-communism, I believe in believe! 

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

not one person Rebecca has told has been like, “Are you out of your mind?”

I agree on this one. In what scenario will it end well?

1) press finds out and it blows up

2) she maintains the relationship and what sells the team?

3) They break up and he leaves the team (billionaire be damned)

But did no one else imagine Rebecca and Samuel L Jackson as a couple? lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I am surprised that Ted seemed to give his blessing to Rebecca - I know he said a few episodes ago that he didn't comment on Beard/Jane for reasons, but he could have just acknowledged what Rebecca shared with him without condoning it.  It was an odd scene all around. 

What other dirt do we think Nate has that could cause legitimate issues?  The Beard/mushrooms thing, Roy not reading the scout reports, Higgins messing up time zones - while not great and could cause some additional noise/turmoil in the aftermath of the article by Trent Crimm, The Independent...wouldn't really bring the club down.  Assuming that Rupert knows about Rebecca/Sam, he could have exposed that already and hasn't...maybe he's waiting for the "right" time. 

Anyway, part of me hopes that Nate is the lesson to Ted that not everyone deserves a second chance (a la Jamie).  Hard to figure what else Ted could have done so far to make Nate feel appreciated - he promoted him from kit man (which, while I don't have any real understanding of football clubs or sports in general, seems like a pretty low-level job so I view the promotion as being a significant step forward), and has repeatedly given him credit and thanks.  Nate has always had a nasty streak - the too personal roasts of the players in season 1, calling Rebecca a shrew before he was promoted, his treatment of Will and Colin, etc.  Rupert is awful, Nate is worse. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, lauridsen said:

Anyway, part of me hopes that Nate is the lesson to Ted that not everyone deserves a second chance (a la Jamie).  Hard to figure what else Ted could have done so far to make Nate feel appreciated - he promoted him from kit man (which, while I don't have any real understanding of football clubs or sports in general, seems like a pretty low-level job so I view the promotion as being a significant step forward), and has repeatedly given him credit and thanks.  Nate has always had a nasty streak - the too personal roasts of the players in season 1, calling Rebecca a shrew before he was promoted, his treatment of Will and Colin, etc.  Rupert is awful, Nate is worse. 

Starting at home, growing up Nate felt powerless because of his dad’s derision….what we don’t know is if Nate did something to earn it or if dad is a dick and just enjoyed using Nate as a whipping boy.   Because of this, he doesn’t want approval or to feel appreciated, he wants to feel powerful and show daddy just how important he is so he can, metaphorically I hope, spit in the old man’s face.  

Because of his upbringing, he views any criticism, even joking, to be another put down indicating lack of the respect he so desperately craves.  Likewise, a lack of praise/credit is, in Nate’s mind, a lack of respect.  Even the moment with Keely.  He has no idea how to deal with women and thinks friendliness is indicative of interest.   He isn’t really interested in her beyond the fact she was nice to him  

I think Nate humiliating … Ted is a stand in for him doing the same to daddy.  

Ted being Ted, maybe he will take the initiative and use this as a chance to talk about mental health. He will be a hero for this. And Nate will spiral further down, especially if Ted fires him.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Nate will spiral further down, especially if Ted fires him.  

I really hate Nate now, and want to re-watch S1 in part to see how much of this version of Nate was there from the beginning. I do like the fact that someone can be an underdog and a bad guy. I also wonder if Nate will accept fault when faced with the consequences for his actions or if he'll be one of those people that always blame everyone else.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, sjankis630 said:

I agree on this one. In what scenario will it end well?

1) press finds out and it blows up

2) she maintains the relationship and what sells the team?

3) They break up and he leaves the team (billionaire be damned)

Well, this one isn't actually as far-fetched a scenario as some of the other things that have happened on the show. 

In 1995, the managing director of Birmingham City, Karren Brady, married Birmingham City striker Paul Peschisolido. I don't think anyone made much of a fuss of it at the time.... A year later, unrelated to the marriage, Birmingham sold Peschisolido to West Bromwich  Albion.

But Brady is only two years older than Peschisolido, which probably hindered any attempts to portray her as having a 'footballer toyboy' or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I really hate Nate now, and want to re-watch S1 in part to see how much of this version of Nate was there from the beginning.

Brett Goldstein points out Nate's S1 yelling at Ted and Beard for being on the pitch when he first meets them, Nate's takedown of his teammates and calling Rebecca a shrew when he thought he was being fired as examples of the cruel streak Nate has. 

Edited by AngieBee1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

WAGs:  They win the game and the team gets promoted, but everything else is in shambles…

This is what I'm leaning towards. I don't really see them ending on a depressing note football-wise a second time; that's just repetitive and I don't think the show wants to be that. (At least I very much hope that's the case, because seriously, supporting my real life club is stressful enough - I don't need the added stress worrying about a bloody *fictional* club, too!) Making it back to the Premier League but everything else being in shambles would set the third season up nicely. Please, please, just let them be promoted.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, AngieBee1 said:

Brett Goldstein points out Nate's S1 yelling at Ted and Beard for being on the pitch when he first meets them, Nate's takedown of his teammates and calling Rebecca a shrew when he thought he was being fired as examples of the cruel streak Nate has. 

I remember watching his takedown of the players and thinking Nick Mohammed had kind of flubbed the scene a little, because I thought we were supposed to be seeing Nate give some hard truths reluctantly, which would help the team win and help him prove himself. But he just seemed to relish saying some of the crueller things, particularly when he told Roy he was old.

Turns out he played it perfectly, because Nate actually was relishing the opportunity to stick the knife in where it hurts.

• Love 9

I sort of feel bad for Nate because he's clearly reacting and transferring his anxieties/feelings about his dad to everyone else. His trigger to derailing was Roy starting to coach, right? There's not an ounce of thought in his actions, just reactions to what his dad makes him feel. And I see his storyline also as a mental health one. 

But...

what he did...I don't know how can it be repaired with other teammates or with anyone that has a close relationship with Ted.  Also, he leaked this very sensitive information right before a very important match. I'm wondering if they'll win but with most people apart (as opposed to last season: they lost but with their bond solidified as a group).

edited to say: I think he already received an offer from Rupert. That's how I interpreted him asking people if they wanted to be the boss. Maybe he was conflicted with the decision. His words about Ted (when he was speaking to Beard and Roy) could be the words that Rupert said to him to convince him to go to another team. And his scene with Keeley made him go to the dark side (to feel less of a failure or embarrassment). 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Love 4

I just looked up Nick Mohammed.  He will turn 41 in October. I initially thought Nate was supposed to be in his 20s, but with his hair going grey…hey do you think Nate stopped dying his hair to look more mature now that he is one of the coaches?… anyway, I think they are trying to show he is around the actor’s age which means he was kit boy as he approached his 40s, probably something his father never let him forget.  And the previously black hair was an attempt to look younger. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

14 hours ago, Kostgard said:

I think once Ted collects himself, he can turn this into an opportunity to talk about mental health. Rebecca would continue to back him and I’ll bet even Trent Crimm, The Independent would be happy to help him get the word out. 

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I hope the show gets the plot about the panic attacks right. I'm glad Ted has already told his inner circle and Rebecca also knows about them. It would be great if we finally arrived at a point where someone suffering from panic attacks can be open about it because that in itself can reduce so much stress. Dealing with those suckers is hard enough without the constant worry about them disrupting life and how to cope while trying to hide what's going on. And they are so much more common than people realize, sadly.

That said: fuck you Nate! I also wish Trent Crimm would turn the article into a discussion about taboos surrounding mental health.

I believe that the show will use this as an opportunity to present a broader discussion about mental health, the taboos surrounding it and panic attacks. It can happen one of two ways, IMO. Either Ted decides to address the issue head-on, either thru a press conference or with a one-on-one article with none other than Trent Crimm, The Independent. Or Trent himself decides to write an article about mental health issues after seeing what Ted has been dealing with.

Will the secrets of the other coaches be revealed to the public as well? Frankly, those are some fairly troubling issues for team management. Why would Nate only reveal Ted's secret and not say that Roy doesn't read scouting reports, etc? 

I hope that Ted realizes that Nate cannot be trusted and fires him. Perhaps that's when Nate goes all "scorched earth" and reveals everything that he knows. Somehow, the Rebecca/Sam has to come out, too, right?

25 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

Making it back to the Premier League but everything else being in shambles would set the third season up nicely. Please, please, just let them be promoted.

Agree!

• Love 3

I never really cared for Nate, but now I justifiably despise him. Doesn't matter what the show attempts in season 3 as a redemption arc (if that is their plan), he's done. Goodbye, good riddance. 

Why are they doing this to Rebecca? I thought she came to her senses last episode... and it's really irksome that no one is acknowledging the very large elephant in the room as to why Rebecca/Sam are so wrong together. Not to mention, for an underdeveloped couple, the show is doing a lot of telling as to how much they like each other and why they're supposedly so great. 

Unpopular opinion: Sam is quickly becoming the Mary Sue of this show and, quite frankly, it's a turnoff. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 8