Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E01: Owen Wilson / Kasey Musgraves

• Start Topic

Monologue was charming.

If they really got 10 new writers, you couldn't prove it by the cold open.  It's gonna be a long season...  

But - it's good to be back with everyone here!!

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, seasons said:

Uh oh. Hate to start off negatively, but that opener was not great. New guy as Biden not doing it for me. Am I missing something?

I think that was Owen.

And was it just me, or did his nose look like the end is rotting off in the monologue?

17 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I think that was Owen.

And was it just me, or did his nose look like the end is rotting off in the monologue?

Google says new guy James Austin Johnson?

"View" skit. Meh. 0/2. 

Why does Owen keep looking off to the side? Needs cue cards that often?

10 new writers? 

I'm sorry, (reallyni.mean that), nothing has made me laugh once yet. Hoping WU will redeem.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Izzy85 said:

I've never seen Kasey Musgraves live, is she nude? Is that a regular thing? Lol

Ok,  I'm glad I wasn't just imagining things.  She was nude. See and I always thought Miley Cyrus would have been the first to do that.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

It's great to be back at...the movies.

Cold Open: Owen Wilson as Biden?! Wait, no, it's the new guy as Biden. Hell of a first role. He looks like Skinny Darrell Hammond and my brain was going weird for a second. I liked everyone as this. It's easy to portray politicians as nuts and incompetent, but MAN do these writers still don't know how to write democrats. But they're nailing Biden. Loved seeing Pete as Now Disgraced Governor Andrew Cuomo. That's a record, right? A new castmember gets to say "Live From New York" in the first sketch of their first episode? When's the last time that happened?

Monologue: Why is Owen going on about being the "Forgotten" brother? He's the movie star, Luke is on Stargirl, and I didn't know there was a third one until just now. I enjoyed this, but what was up with his jacket? Was it made out of felt or something?

He talked about people reviewing SNL live. He's talking about us!

The Talking: Ha, they're making fun of two people on The View testing positive for Covid halfway through the show. 

Star Trek Ego Quest: Okay, Owen Wilson as Jeff Bezos in a new Star Trek series is fun. And hey, the other Wilson brothers were in this!

Pixar: Yep, making Owen Wilson say horrifying dialogue as Lightning McQueen is just great. I would've done the same. I was right about James Austin Johnson, he DOES look like a skinny Darrell Hammond. He seems like the new Impression Guy. First Biden, now Larry The Cable Guy (which wasn't THAT bad)

District 7 School Board Meeting: This was a winner the moment Cecily took the stage. I love a good "parade of idiots" sketch. Pete as Dog The Bounty Hunter is so goddamn perfect. I love sketches that use everyone, and they used everyone here! Kate was absent this week, which is a shame, this one was tailor made for her. (Come to think of it, Colin and Che weren't in it, either. Even though they're on Update, they tend to show up every now and then.) Everyone was great. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they pitched bits for everyone to do. Also loved "Robert E Lee WAS BAD Middle School."

"HILLARY RODHAM HUSSEIN CLINTON!"

WU: Give it up for Infrastructure jokes! Colin is just SAD there' is no insanity that makes good TV. They have to put in EFFORT in their jokes now (but in the words of Lorne, "why start now?"). But Che was nailing the R Kelly jokes. He's continuing to give zero fucks like always. Loved Ego as "The Black Woman Who's Been Missing For Ten Years." Honestly great commentary, and I appreciated her calling out Che's terrible terrible takes on his Instagram page. 

Loved Pete's Norm tribute shirt. And naturally, the night ended with a supercut of Norm jokes. And of course it ended on an OJ joke. Love it. I'm sad.

"Because there's nothing more Catholic than letting someone else die for their sins." Line of the night right there.

Funeral: Ooh, missed cue with a Lorne sighting. I liked that Miriam had met a lot of previous SNL hosts awfully problematic celebrities, not just enjoying the music of R Kelly. I got kick out of Levar B Burton. But this sketch ended way too quickly. I felt like it wasn't allowed to breathe.

Football: Yep, James Austin Johnson is the new Darrell Hammond. Now he's doing Joe Buck. (Hell, he might be Beck's replacement, too. He seems to be slotted into his roles) His announcer voice is so good I thought I turned to Fox at some point by accident. I loved Crazy House the more they showed it. There's a Monster Puppet in the cast, and played by Stacey Abrams? Honestly, I'd check it out, if only the first episode.

Commercial: Sarah Sherman gets a chance to shine! he was fun in this. And Aristotle got two lines! I can't believe they got me to laugh about playing around with poop.

And we hit the ground running! I have high hopes for this season and uh-oh, next week Kim Kardashian hosts. Well, good chance I'm not gonna be around for that. Traditionally it's the weekend of NYCC, but I'll actually be on vacation next weekend and will definitely not be here. It was weird to see a show without Kate McKinnon, she was busy. I guess it's a way to ease us into a show without her.

• Love 18

Owen Wilson has literally had that same effed up nose (high school football injury) for 20+ years, I don’t think it looked any different than usual.

Trusting the 10 to 1 sketch to nothing but featured players and Owen - sure, why not?  I’ve always liked Dismukes but Sarah made an impression. 

That said, they are going ALL IN on JAJ, aren’t they?  I thought he was great in the football sketch, not quite entirely sold on Biden but none of the Biden’s so far have been great, so, what do they have to lose and hopefully there’s room to grow?

I really hope all the Dwight Schrute references in the football sketch were a self-own on NBC about how (some would say - me, I’m someone - unhealthily) obsessed folks are with rewatching nothing but the Office on streaming.

I’m so happy that Luke Wilson was able to find time to do this from his busy schedule of (checks notes) doing a CW show.

I joke, but I do think it says a lot about the industry that both Owen and Luke were go-to romantic leads in movies for a while and now doing TV seems like the better option.

I also wonder if Owen had a hand in writing any of the sketches given his history of co-writing all of Wes Anderson’s early films.

• Love 3

I thought it was about average for a first show. Honestly they are usually a little rough with everyone trying to get back in the groove again. Owen was a very good choice as host. He's such a likable presence and as he was more or less saying in the monologue, he is just so chill. He's kinda like 70s soft rock music. I mean that it a good, easy listening kind of way.

The new guy's Biden was ok? I guess. I assume it will get better. I thought he overdid the desperation or old man breathing, and it threw off the pacing a bit. Poor Alex Moffat. He did Biden only one time?  Beck is gone, and Alex already seems overshadowed by the new guy. I thought Aidy as Manchin was a very lazy choice, but as typical Cecily as Krysten Sinema showed a lot of promise. Cecily is great at impressions.

I wondered with The Talking, why don't just do The View? It's not like they have ever been shy about doing direct parodies of it.

I liked the school Board meeting. I thought they got all the cast in. And I swear my local station did a commercial right before this for their news about these meetings are out of control now with parents screaming and fighting, but what are we teaching OUR KIDS? So it was very timely it seems.

I also really enjoyed Update. Some good jokes. And Ego and Pete nailed their spots.  

Missed Beck, and it was super noticeable that Kate wasn't there. (Especially her Pelosi in the opening.)

30 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Luke is on Stargirl,

Damn, his career has really tanked. Hopefully he can do his own Pixar movie or something.

ETA: Colin being the only one during the goodbyes without a mask on was super awkward. (I can hear Pete say, "You thought it would be me, right?")

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I wondered with The Talking, why don't just do The View? It's not like they have ever been shy about doing parodies of it.

I'm guessing it was easier to do a generic show then to try to make performers be specific members of The View. It's a 'The View' and 'The Talk' and 'My aunts and their friends' kind of mash up.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Oh you!  Speaking of that sketch, I didn’t miss Beck as much as I thought I would tonight.

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

Monologue was charming.

That is the word that came to my mind, too.  I’m legit half in love with Owen Wilson from his performance in Loki, though, so I’m probably not objective.  “When Daniel Day Lewis retired and all that pressure [to be the greatest working actor] landed on” on Owen’s shoulders and that’s when he knew he needed to do Cars 3 … lol. 

I don’t know that there were any instant classics tonight, but it had a good, pleasant energy that I did not glean from at least half the eps last season, so I would clock that as a win.

I think the best sketch (outside of the monologue) was the Cars 4 recording session.  That was pretty funny.  I’m a pretty big Star Trek nerd so I wanted to love the Jeff Bezos sketch, but it didn’t entirely hit, although Bezos sparring with Branson was a mildly amusing riff.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 5

Wow, JAJ was doing quite a bit for his first episode. I thought his Biden was better than Alex Moffatt's and John Mulaney's incarnations, but probably not as good as the others. Still, he seemed really natural already. His Larry the Cable Guy was really good. 

There should be a sketch about JAJ impersonating Darrell Hammond. That would be so meta. He really looks like him.

I actually liked the sketch about the commercial, and yeah, aside from Chris Redd, it was essentially all featured players + Owen, which was a far cry from last year when hardly any of the first-year featured players got used, especially in the first half of the year. Sarah did stand out here, but it's pretty similar to what she has already done in her acts so far. She reminds me a bit of Melissa Villasenor.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, vb68 said:

ETA: Colin being the only one during the goodbyes without a mask on was super awkward. (I can hear Pete say, "You thought it would be me, right?")

I wonder if it's because he was holding up the sign that he was considered "on air" talent. Otherwise, I have no idea.

13 hours ago, saoirse said:

Well, she WAS wearing boots... 😄

You are all raising anticipation for West Coast viewers who did not see the 8:30 live broadcast -- we get it again at 11:30 PM.  I did like her second song (in flannel and denim) and had not heard her previously.  

12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

That's a record, right? A new castmember gets to say "Live From New York" in the first sketch of their first episode? When's the last time that happened?

October 11, 1975?  (That is my entry for the pool; too lazy to look up anything else. 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Owen Wilson as Biden?! Wait, no, it's the new guy as Biden. Hell of a first role. He looks like Skinny Darrell Hammond and my brain was going weird for a second. I liked everyone as this. It's easy to portray politicians as nuts and incompetent, but MAN do these writers still don't know how to write democrats. But they're nailing Biden. Loved seeing Pete as Now Disgraced Governor Andrew Cuomo. That's a record, right? A new castmember gets to say "Live From New York" in the first sketch of their first episode? When's the last time that happened?

Monologue: Why is Owen going on about being the "Forgotten" brother? He's the movie star, Luke is on Stargirl, and I didn't know there was a third one until just now. I enjoyed this, but what was up with his jacket? Was it made out of felt or something?

He talked about people reviewing SNL live. He's talking about us!

The Talking: Ha, they're making fun of two people on The View testing positive for Covid halfway through the show. 

Star Trek Ego Quest: Okay, Owen Wilson as Jeff Bezos in a new Star Trek series is fun. And hey, the other Wilson brothers were in this!

Pixar: Yep, making Owen Wilson say horrifying dialogue as Lightning McQueen is just great. I would've done the same. I was right about James Austin Johnson, he DOES look like a skinny Darrell Hammond. He seems like the new Impression Guy. First Biden, now Larry The Cable Guy (which wasn't THAT bad)

District 7 School Board Meeting: This was a winner the moment Cecily took the stage. I love a good "parade of idiots" sketch. Pete as Dog The Bounty Hunter is so goddamn perfect. I love sketches that use everyone, and they used everyone here! Kate was absent this week, which is a shame, this one was tailor made for her. (Come to think of it, Colin and Che weren't in it, either. Even though they're on Update, they tend to show up every now and then.) Everyone was great. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they pitched bits for everyone to do. Also loved "Robert E Lee WAS BAD Middle School."

"HILLARY RODHAM HUSSEIN CLINTON!"

WU: Give it up for Infrastructure jokes! Colin is just SAD there' is no insanity that makes good TV. They have to put in EFFORT in their jokes now (but in the words of Lorne, "why start now?"). But Che was nailing the R Kelly jokes. He's continuing to give zero fucks like always. Loved Ego as "The Black Woman Who's Been Missing For Ten Years." Honestly great commentary, and I appreciated her calling out Che's terrible terrible takes on his Instagram page. 

Loved Pete's Norm tribute shirt. And naturally, the night ended with a supercut of Norm jokes. And of course it ended on an OJ joke. Love it. I'm sad.

"Because there's nothing more Catholic than letting someone else die for their sins." Line of the night right there.

Funeral: Ooh, missed cue with a Lorne sighting. I liked that Miriam had met a lot of previous SNL hosts awfully problematic celebrities, not just enjoying the music of R Kelly. I got kick out of Levar B Burton. But this sketch ended way too quickly. I felt like it wasn't allowed to breathe.

Football: Yep, James Austin Johnson is the new Darrell Hammond. Now he's doing Joe Buck. (Hell, he might be Beck's replacement, too. He seems to be slotted into his roles) His announcer voice is so good I thought I turned to Fox at some point by accident. I loved Crazy House the more they showed it. There's a Monster Puppet in the cast, and played by Stacey Abrams? Honestly, I'd check it out, if only the first episode.

Commercial: Sarah Sherman gets a chance to shine! he was fun in this. And Aristotle got two lines! I can't believe they got me to laugh about playing around with poop.

And we hit the ground running! I have high hopes for this season and uh-oh, next week Kim Kardashian hosts. Well, good chance I'm not gonna be around for that. Traditionally it's the weekend of NYCC, but I'll actually be on vacation next weekend and will definitely not be here. It was weird to see a show without Kate McKinnon, she was busy. I guess it's a way to ease us into a show without her.

First OF All, I AM Going To Miss Not Getting To Read Your Review Next Week ! PLEASE BE Here For The Rest OF The Season After Next Week ! Second, Kate Is Working On That Exotic Tiger Or What Ever That Is Called ! She WILL Be On The Show In A Couple OF Months ! IT Is Like When Cecily Was Missing A Couple OF Months Last Season !  

I loved the School Board sketch. It wasn't much exaggerated, which is depressing.

WU had some real zingers. Pete looks terrible again, but he was funny, so I guess all is not lost.

I like the sound of Kasey M's voice, but I think I just can't listen to any more songs about relationships as torture. Dear singers everywhere: write about something other than bad relationships, please! Also, I didn't even look up at the screen long enough to know she was naked. I get bored and play solitaire sometimes while the TV is on, and I guess that was my bad.

I was pissed off that Colin didn't wear a mask during the good nights. What is his problem?

I had very low expectations for this episode because I really can't stand Owen Wilson (I can't even say why, exactly. I just find him extremely annoying). That, plus the recent run of crap writing made me unsure if I even wanted to watch. I wound up thinking that the cast had good energy, the writing was a little better than the dragging that was happening last season, and I still really can't stand Owen Wilson. 

I thought the new Biden impression was quite terrible. He doesn't have the mannerisms at all, and if you didn't tell me it was Biden, I would not have known. I'm also tired of "he's old!" being such a big part of the hook with all these characterizations. It's lazy, and it's boring. The man has lots of quirks and makes lots of news and deals with a lot of stuff that is made for satire. I get the impression no one at SNL even knows who he is or what is going on. I don't get why he'd be so hard to work with. There's lots of material.

They should do also some Jen Psaki press "Daily Briefing" sketches. She's dynamite and the questions she gets are so incredibly stupid and repetitive that it almost seems like an SNL sketch even without re-writing it. Her daily crushing of Steve Doocy is a sketch all by itself. They can call it "Psaki-Doocy!" and give it a "sock it to me" graphic.

I think I'm going to like the new cast members. Casting has improved a lot in the past few years. It's a dynamic group.

Glad to see Senator Sinema given the disrespect she deserves.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Owen Wilson as Biden?! Wait, no, it's the new guy as Biden. Hell of a first role. He looks like Skinny Darrell Hammond and my brain was going weird for a second.

I literally thought it WAS Darrell Hammond, since why not get the old guy who's still around the show to do another political impression?  The resemblance between Johnson and Hammond is pretty uncanny.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OutOfTheQuestion said:

I literally thought it WAS Darrell Hammond, since why not get the old guy who's still around the show to do another political impression?  The resemblance between Johnson and Hammond is pretty uncanny.

I was kind of thinking throughout the show that Johnson looked like Hammond with a dash of Tim Robinson thrown in, but in the football sketch (“Crazy House”), I totally agree that the resemblance to Hammond alone was uncanny.

I really liked his delivery of the line, “Let’s not guess,” in that sketch.  It did make me chuckle whenever he said it.

• Love 6

Was kind of hoping Tom Hiddleston would cameo to help Owen plug Loki, but hey, we got Luke Wilson!

7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Owen Wilson as Biden?! Wait, no, it's the new guy as Biden.

Omg I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought it was him. Kind of a shame because Owen might have pulled it off. Lukewarm on the new Biden though. 

Great show, especially the school board meeting and Pixar skits (I don’t even like the Cars movies but destroying Lightning McQueen like that was awful). And a great tribute to Norm.

I too am skipping next week.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

WU had some real zingers. Pete looks terrible again, but he was funny, so I guess all is not lost

I think he looked healthy. I did notice immediately he has his old teeth again though. Which wasn't a bad thing, the veneers looked too big some how, which was odd given he's got a physically large mouth and jaw. 

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Omg I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought it was him. Kind of a shame because Owen might have pulled it off. Lukewarm on the new Biden though. 

I'm lukewarm on the new guy as a whole. He just wasn't doing it for me.

1 hour ago, cambridgeguy said:

So is having a woman play a male politician the show's way of telling us which ones they really dislike?  Fair is fair, so they should go all in and get one of the guys to play any women they hate. 

Honestly, I'm going with body shape and size. They can't exactly have Kyle play Ted Cruz. LOL! She does do an amazing Cruz though! I don't know who Aidy was playing this week, but my guess is he's a bit on the heavier side. All the male cast members are pretty thin this season and I do find the women to be the stronger than the men. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 3

Couldn’t help giggling at Pete’s zinger about Colin in the Tom and Jerry movie. I half expected him or Michael to go further and say it was so bad even ScarJo didn’t think it was worth stealing another part from a POC actress.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I don't know who Aidy was playing this week, but my guess is he's a bit on the heavier side.

Not especially. 

I think Lorne believes it's inherently hilarious for a woman to play a man. I'm fine with it when they can do a uniquely good impression (like Kate as Giuliani or Aidy as Ted Cruz), both there was no reason for Aidy to play Manchin.

I thought the sketches in this one were very weak. The school board meeting was funny, but none of the other sketches cracked me up - aside from some really low-hanging fruit like Lightning McQueen using slurs, and dead grandma being friends with sex offenders.

I also didn't care for Owen Wilson, but that's not surprising, because I've never cared for him. His public persona is so smarmy. And I'll admit it - I hate looking at his mutilated nose. No actress could leave her nose broken like that, without being completely defined by it. (And it would very likely prevent her from having a career in show business at all, unless she could sing like Streisand.)\

I definitely enjoyed Update, though. Particularly the gag about the alert for missing Black woman only being carried by Cricket Wireless!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

So is having a woman play a male politician the show's way of telling us which ones they really dislike?  Fair is fair, so they should go all in and get one of the guys to play any women they hate. 

Guess you are too young to remember John Goodman as Linda Tripp?

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Not especially. 

I think Lorne believes it's inherently hilarious for a woman to play a man. I'm fine with it when they can do a uniquely good impression (like Kate as Giuliani or Aidy as Ted Cruz), both there was no reason for Aidy to play Manchin.

I thought the sketches in this one were very weak. The school board meeting was funny, but none of the other sketches cracked me up - aside from some really low-hanging fruit like Lightning McQueen using slurs, and dead grandma being friends with sex offenders.

I also didn't care for Owen Wilson, but that's not surprising, because I've never cared for him. His public persona is so smarmy. And I'll admit it - I hate looking at his mutilated nose. No actress could leave her nose broken like that, without being completely defined by it. (And it would very likely prevent her from having a career in show business at all, unless she could sing like Streisand.)\

I definitely enjoyed Update, though. Particularly the gag about the alert for missing Black woman only being carried by Cricket Wireless!

Not to digress too much, but male actors  in general, throughout cinematic history, have always been more accepted and even lauded despite (because of?) less than perfect features.

Karl Malden, Edward G. Robinson, Jean Paul Belmondo, Peter Lorre, and scores of others spring to mind. 

And after all, it's not like Owen is hiring himself. 

Sometimes it works in reverse. Look what happened to her career when Jennifer Grey had rhinoplasty to be, I presume, "more attractive." 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Cut for time sketch.

that was pretty good. 

I did enjoy that.  At first, it was because I so related to the "let's just split the check" BS when what people ordered is nowhere near the same amount of money.

And then I laughed out loud when it got weird.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

think Lorne believes it's inherently hilarious for a woman to play a man. I'm fine with it when they can do a uniquely good impression (like Kate as Giuliani or Aidy as Ted Cruz), both there was no reason for Aidy to play Manchin.

He has always liked having actors play a real person of the opposite gender.  There was a time when Keenan played any black man or woman.  Part of that was due to a lack of black women on the show but part of it was I think Lorne liked it.

But I also think they got into a rut recently. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I don't know who Aidy was playing this week, but my guess is he's a bit on the heavier side. All the male cast members are pretty thin this season and I do find the women to be the stronger than the men. 

He's Senator Joe Manchin, who is in the middle of all the infrastructure mess. He's not too heavy, but he's certainly not overly thin, either. The thing is he's pretty tall. That was the thing about Aidy playing him that was off for me. Manchin looms over other people. I think Pete wouldn't had been a terrible choice for that, especially as they were shoehorning him into the sketch anyway.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

Or Phil Hartman as Barbara Bush  and Will Ferrell as Janet Reno

How I miss Janet Reno’s Dance Party and that the real one took it in stride to join in for the final one. 

• Love 12

I’m another who thought that was Owen Wilson portraying Biden. I’ve never heard of JAJ but clearly they gave him a lot to do for his first ever show. I think he did a great Joe Buck.

Was Kyle in anything other than the two seconds as a teenager at the school board meeting?

Two things I found distressing—new father Colin with no mask at the end, and I personally thought it was offensive to have two jokes about Brian Laundrie while this tragic situation hasn’t been resolved. 

• Love 5

For a few moments I thought it was Steve Carell doing Biden but then decided it was Owen because of the nose. Bah, not enough Melissa, as usual. I became a big fan last year because of her podcast (videocast?) and a Zoom session of drawing with Melissa, who is also an artist. One of her main impressions is Owen so I was wondering if they would somehow fit her in doing that. The only thing I can recall liking him in was "Zoolander." While some cast members are underused, it seems like Ego is in every. single. sketch, even more than Cecily. I never appreciated Heidi's talent until she played the old male security guard in that parody of Michael Jordan's documentary. Beck's gone? Noooo!

• Love 2