Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/27/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

I feel bad for everyone involved. No one wants their business broadcast on TV without their permission, but I can see most people not knowing how to address suddenly rushing two hosts off set and then not being able to interview Kamala in person. How would they explain that? Hopefully they'll get better about testing so this won't happen again. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Regarding the medical dx being broadcast....did it break any HIPAA rules?  Even though they're on air, dont they deserve a lil bit of privacy.

I don't think it was. If it was a violation, then every single headline about Celebrity x, y, z, who has tested positive for COVID would also be a HIPAA violation. And both Sunny and Ana are celebrities; not private citizens.

But of course the media, ALL media is just focused on the False Positive, and not the negative results.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Regarding the medical dx being broadcast....did it break any HIPAA rules?  Even though they're on air, dont they deserve a lil bit of privacy.

Hipaa only applies to healthcare providers.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't think it was. If it was a violation, then every single headline about Celebrity x, y, z, who has tested positive for COVID would also be a HIPAA violation. And both Sunny and Ana are celebrities; not private citizens.

But of course the media, ALL media is just focused on the False Positive, and not the negative results.

From https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/index.html

The HIPAA Privacy Rule

The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals' medical records and other personal health information and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically.  The Rule requires appropriate safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information, and sets limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization. The Rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections.

Because of their safe set protocols (and SAG-AFTRA agreements on vaccinating/testing its members), the co-hosts of The View would have consented to be tested as a condition of employment. They also would have consented to have their test results disclosed to their employer (which is necessary to keep a safe set). 

I would bet the mortgage that Sunny, Ana, Whoopi, Joy, and Sara never consented to allow the show to broadcast their results.

However, Joy is right. If the show hadn't disclosed it on the air, because the Vice President was there, it would have created all kinds of panic, if they did not say why they were pulling Sunny and Ana off the set.

They shouldn't have told us, but I understand why the did (especially in the midst of all this chaos). And I get that Manny (particularly) is angry, but had Sunny's positive test been a true positive, and if he were my surgeon, I would want him taken out of the operating room. I don't need to catch Covid during surgery.

4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Hipaa only applies to healthcare providers.  

Healthcare providers, health insurers, insurance clearing houses, etc. However, when your employer gets you to consent to share records with them (the employer), that employer then does not have a right to publicize it.

Edited by General Days
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I stand corrected! Shows how ignorant I am!

You're right about them being due privacy, though.

I think this is one of those scenarios where it hasn't been tested (much) by law yet. The information definitely should have been kept quiet by The View. It's just a little tricky to determine if it should be kept quiet because of HIPAA or ADA.

For example, if the testing can be considered an employee health benefit, there is an argument to be made that it might fall under HIPAA (because then the employer is acting like a healthcare provider).

I'm guessing it's ADA privacy restrictions that come into play tough, because that already covers other kinds of employer mandated health testing.

Like, let's say you had a drug addiction, and your employee assistance program got you into treatment. After rehab, one of the conditions of your continued employment might be drug testing. Whoever is in charge of compliance at your company would get to know your results, but they can't announce it to all your coworkers or the world.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Brian should have given a big Thank You to Joy & Sara for doing half the show off the cuff all on their own.

While Brian rightfully apologized to Sunny and Ana, he definitely should have given props to Joy and Sara, who were left holding the bag. They had a studio audience (and the audience at home) and no game plan, plus worrying about their co-stars and the VP. This situation would have been bad no matter who the guest was, but that it was VP Harris made it 100 times worse. That Joy and Sara pulled it off with both panache and humor is a credit to them as people and professionals.

• Love 24
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm sorry. I conflated your earlier post and Forum Lou's.

Any person can announce they themselves have Covid (or are negative). That's usually how we hear about celebrity cases. They choose to disclose.

Reporters can report that they heard from a source (or from the celebs themselves) that a celeb tested positive.

The problems with what happened on The View include: (1) that executive producer Brian Teta told Joy and Sara what was going on and (2) told Joy to announce tell the studio audience. Then (3) Teta told Joy to announce it on air when they came back from break. As Sonny and Ana's boss, he should have tried harder to protect their privacy.

On the other and, Joy had it right on Friday, when she said, "Since this is going to be a major news story any minute now, what happened is that Sunny and Ana apparently tested positive for COVID."

There's no way it wasn't going to leak. If nothing else, the public had a right to know that, for instance, they didn't clear VP Harris (in particular), and Sunny, and Ana from the stage because of some terrorist threat or something.

The White House or VP's office would have had to explain, "Someone on set tested positive," which is why we did the interview remote, and since Ana and Sunny were hustled off stage, it would be pretty clear that either they were the ones who tested positive, or they were exposed to someone who did, which would have left everyone wondering why Joy and Sara weren't hustled off, and whether the VP is the one who was positive.

Watching Sunny today, I feel like she got an earful from Manny all weekend about this, and that's why she was so upset. I'm sure it was terribly upsetting to everyone, but it was a consequence of doing live TV.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Or, they could have said that their tests proved inconclusive. That's one way of giving people an inkling of what was going on without completely compromising Sunny's and Ana's respective privacy.

I agree. While it's also true that if they said nothing about why they were removed, and that all kinds of spec would happen, it just doesn't make sense that they announced it the way they did. Sunny being a lawyer is probably not going to let this go.

There have been episodes and interviews where a couple of the hosts just disappear during the commercial breaks. But this was also different because they would have been gone but there was no guest to interview at that time.

I think the biggest screwup of all is that the results came back in the middle of the show.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, General Days said:

Watching Sunny today, I feel like she got an earful from Manny all weekend about this, and that's why she was so upset.

So who contacted Manny's hospital?  And Paloma's school?  Because if that is contract tracing that is pretty damn quick.  My mother had a positive covid test  in December and spent seven weeks in the hospital with covid and not one single person asked her for a contact list. 

10 hours ago, geekburger said:

Sunny was maaaaaad. She was very pointed with her words and it seemed like she was talking directly to a Brian.

She also had to deal with hateful people calling her and saying vicious things to her online. 

11 hours ago, catlover79 said:

While Brian rightfully apologized to Sunny and Ana, he definitely should have given props to Joy and Sara, who were left holding the bag.

So glad Whoopi was not there.  That would have been a clusterfuck.  Joy has always been quick on her feet. And Sara has shown herself to be a real team player.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

So glad Whoopi was not there.

I was literally just about to type this and then your reply popped up saying it for me.  What does it say about Whoopi's incompetence that so many of us had that immediate thought?  And yet Whoopi just signed a new 4 year contract to stay on the show.  While the rest of the hosts do all the heavy lifting.  Lazy complacency wins again! 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I was literally just about to type this and then your reply popped up saying it for me.  What does it say about Whoopi's incompetence that so many of us had that immediate thought?  And yet Whoopi just signed a new 4 year contract to stay on the show.  While the rest of the hosts do all the heavy lifting.  Lazy complacency wins again! 

ABC must think Whoopi is a draw for viewers because she is a movie star (but not really anymore). Or maybe they are afraid there would be backlash if they didn't renew her contract.  I doubt she would go quietly.  She makes a lot of money at the View for doing very little. Since she has been out the show has flowed so much better. As much as we complained about Meghan dragging down the show Whoopi does that too.  

• Love 10

Blech.  The only thing I’m enjoying is Sunny countering everything Jenner is spouting.

So getting the shot should be between a preg woman and her doc?  Govt should not be involved?  Ok, Caitlyn.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 19
30 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

“Trump had a few…messaging problems.”

So that’s what we’re calling it now? Ugh.

15 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

We need an angry reaction button on this forum.

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Love 14

Did Whoopi tell Caitlyn Jenner to come back and co-host anytime? No. She is vapid and selfish and ignorant. I do not want to see her or any of her stepkids or their offspring. For Fucks Sake-Stop it ABC.

ETA-Jenner assumes that everyone assumes she was bringing in all the tail back in the day because=Olympic athlete-bowl haircut. I just want to be sure everyone knows that I never in all my life thought that Jenner was getting laid. Ever. I think she confused monogamous with celibate. 

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

While I agree that we need more people to get vaccinated, Whoopi's example about being able to vote isn't really on point. Enacting a law enabling people to vote who hadn't been able to before doesn't impact anyone else's "choice" regarding their own body/health. People who had previously been able to vote could still vote without making any change to their lives.

I think Joy's examples concerning the kinds of existing vaccination requirements for going to school (and some travel) are closer to the issue. If you want to attend public school, you have to have rubella vaccination. If you want to travel to certain countries, it is recommended that you get vaccinations for particular diseases. You still have a choice about getting the vaccination, but then you are restricted from doing certain things. 

• Love 11

Simone Signoret never romanced Jean-Paul Sartre, Joy.  It was Simone de Beauvoir.

I wonder if Caitlyn is really related to Edward Jenner or if she just assumed it.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2021 at 10:54 AM, Rainyhawk said:

It was kind of a no win situation.  If they didn't explain why 2 co hosts left, there would have been constant speculation and conspiracy theories going on.  So I'm not sure what they could have done that would have been better at the time in the confusion with a vice president there (and Secret Service).

That was my big question, why didn't they take all four hosts?  They would have been exposed also.

2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Did Whoopi tell Caitlyn Jenner to come back and co-host anytime? No. She is vapid and selfish and ignorant. I do not want to see her or any of her stepkids or their offspring. For Fucks Sake-Stop it ABC.

ETA-Jenner assumes that everyone assumes she was bringing in all the tail back in the day because=Olympic athlete-bowl haircut. I just want to be sure everyone knows that I never in all my life thought that Jenner was getting laid. Ever. I think she confused monogamous with celibate. 

I'm 57, and Bruce winning the decathlon was during the height of my pre-teen crushing years and never for one moment did I ever find him attractive and I remember really trying to find him cute and I just couldn't  

I just texted my mom to ask her if its worth watching the DVR when I come home from my weekly day in the office and she said "didnt even watch it, don't like her"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, bannana said:

What no one has explained is why their Covid test results were not done early enough so that they would know before the show and especially before the VP was in the building. Why was Brian Teta getting those results mid-show? It seems awfully shoddy and I am surprised heads haven't rolled.

It may just depend on where they send the tests.  The lab that I've used has always been within 24 hours (for a PCR) but recently they took the full 3 days because of overload.  So they may have been used to the tests coming back quickly but they just didn't this time?  I'm assuming they're using the lab ones and not the rapid home type tests.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I'm 57, and Bruce winning the decathlon was during the height of my pre-teen crushing years and never for one moment did I ever find him attractive and I remember really trying to find him cute and I just couldn't  

Bruce Jenner wasn't ugly but he had zero sex appeal. I feel the same way about Caitlyn Jenner.  

• Love 13
6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

“Trump had a few…messaging problems.”

So that’s what we’re calling it now? Ugh.

And she is concerned we will lose medical people due to vaccine mandates and harm those who need medical care.  Already happening Caitlin because your followers who aren’t vaccinated are the ones clogging the system and preventing people needing hospital care from getting what they need.  Glad they all pushed back on that. And yes, ugh on “messaging problems”.  

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Joy and Sarah didn't test positive.

And, had sunny and Ana been really positive, they wouldn’t have been contagious yet.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

While I agree that we need more people to get vaccinated, Whoopi's example about being able to vote isn't really on point. Enacting a law enabling people to vote who hadn't been able to before doesn't impact anyone else's "choice" regarding their own body/health. People who had previously been able to vote could still vote without making any change to their lives.

I kinda get what Whoopi was trying to say. I think she meant that some folk won't do the right thing without mandates or laws forcing them. That was the point she was trying to make. I think. 

• Love 10

So Jada Pinkett Smith didn't want a traditional marriage but yet she took her husband's last name. 

I hope Sunny's marriage is as solid as she thinks it is.  I see things the way Joy and Whoopi do. Some people just don't want to be married.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

She was inconsequential vapid and ignorant as always.

🤣 I cannot argue with that very accurate characterization.  Though I might add that she was true to form…

Edited by McKavity
  • Love 6

Joy and the monogamy topic was the only consequential part of this show. First her joke about Whoopi's back and then her sincere thoughts about marriage / monogamy both stood out from the rest of the show. But I didn't expect too much with Jenner there. She's a very awkward speaker--she was never going to be a good fit for a talkshow--but at least she doesn't scream or talk Conway-style.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

And didn't answer questions Joy asked her. She said she liked diversity of thought but seemed awfully rigid in her thoughts. 

I also noticed that she held on firmly to her party's party line no matter what the ladies threw at her.  Notice she made sure not to talk smack about Trump. It was obvious the other ladies did not really feel her other than Whoopie with her bizarre invitation to come back..

Sunny was magnificent as always, this is why even though Sunny's cutesy act annoys the hell out of me.  However, Sunny is a beast when she is countering somebody's bs like Caitlin Jenner.  I really wanted her to question the Vice President last Friday.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

So Jada Pinkett Smith didn't want a traditional marriage but yet she took her husband's last name. 

I hope Sunny's marriage is as solid as she thinks it is.  I see things the way Joy and Whoopi do. Some people just don't want to be married.

My attitude is ideally everyone should be with someone likeminded. If neither Will nor Jada want a traditional marriage, no skin off my nose.

I'd personally hate the thought of someone I love being with another woman, but I'm not like Sunny where I'm going to try to pretend men don't ever think of other women. Besides, women also notice and think of other men, and I'm sure that goes for Sunny too!

Who wants to bet little miss perfect hasn't had some impure thoughts about Idris Elba?

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'd personally hate the thought of someone I love being with another woman, but I'm not like Sunny where I'm going to try to pretend men don't ever think of other women. Besides, women also notice and think of other men, and I'm sure that goes for Sunny too!

Sunny reminds me of Elisabeth Hasselbeck when her husband was with the NY Giants.  There was a Playboy magazine or something like  that in the locker room and she was very upset because she thought it was inappropriate.  Her cohosts tried to explain to her that men like to look at those kind of magazines but she didn't want to hear it. She even went so far as to say why does Tim need to look at that when he has me.

I'm sure Manny would never admit it to Sunny but I'm sure he has noticed other women.  Like Sara said you are going to look at people other than your spouse and think things but you choose to not do anything about it.

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Who wants to bet little miss perfect hasn't had some impure thoughts about Idris Elba?

Didn't she say he was her fantasy husband or something like that?

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Shallow today:  Whoopi’s gray scarf makes a return appearance. Sarah has too much hair. Sunny admits to being crazy wrt boyfriends. And I love Ana’s shoes!

Oh, the Disney/ Broadway performance was fantastic!  Such wonderful music!

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8