Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Motherlode

• Start Topic

Nicole Kidman and her immovable face look extra harsh this episode.  I just want to rip that wig off her head too.  It’s too long, so thin and ropey.  I don’t think that’s her real hair, (which is also too long for her IMO).

Personally, I am 80% enjoying this enough to keep watching til the end.  I think 2% of my  disinterest is the music, 18% is Nicole Kidman.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Nicole Kidman and her immovable face look extra harsh this episode.  I just want to rip that wig off her head too.  It’s too long, so thin and ropey.  I don’t think that’s her real hair, (which is also too long for her IMO).

Personally, I am 80% enjoying this enough to keep watching til the end.  I think 2% of my  disinterest is the music, 18% is Nicole Kidman.

It’s funny how much mileage varies, while I agree about Nicole Kidman, I actually really like the majority of the music.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

It’s funny how much mileage varies, while I agree about Nicole Kidman, I actually really like the majority of the music.  

As a Gen X'er, I loved hearing Stevie Nicks' "Leather and Lace" in this episode! (Another high point - that kiss!)

I feel so much for the Marconis, who clearly need professional help to deal with Zack's death and not psychedelics. Heather's scene in the woods was tough to watch, as well as Napoleon's admission that he would likely leave her over the pamphlet issue (which he freely admitted to not reading).

It's hard to buy Carmel's real reason for being there (and Masha's response).

So is Masha some kind of all-knowing, omnipresent being? If I woke up to see her sitting on my bed, I would be gone from that place within the hour.

• Love 23
10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I found her really creepy, this episode. I know she's already over the line with the drugs (especially before they knew), but there's too much intimacy, if you know what I mean. I expect her to hit on everyone. 

What she did to the Marconi's - I would never forgive. She didn't need to remember that about the medication. She didn't blame her husband, and was only distant, because she felt so alone. Because of his forced cheer. Now he says that he can't forgive her? I actually missed the end of the episode, because I was so pissed. 

If they're seeing their grief, Jessica's grief is her nose? A nose job? Or the money that bought it? The idea that she needed it in the first place.

8 hours ago, archer1267 said:

As a Gen X'er, I loved hearing Stevie Nicks' "Leather and Lace" in this episode! (Another high point - that kiss!)

I feel so much for the Marconis, who clearly need professional help to deal with Zack's death and not psychedelics. Heather's scene in the woods was tough to watch, as well as Napoleon's admission that he would likely leave her over the pamphlet issue (which he freely admitted to not reading).

So is Masha some kind of all-knowing, omnipresent being? If I woke up to see her sitting on my bed, I would be gone from that place within the hour.

Oh, yes, the kiss! That was the one sweet part. I like Frances and Tony. 

• Love 11

That kiss was hot.

I'm not buying what Masha is selling to the Marconis, like at all. I think she's using them as guinea pigs. I think she thinks that if she figures out the right combination and dosage of drugs and whatever techniques to get the Marconis to "see" Zach, she'll have figured out how to use it on herself so that she can see her daughter again. Because no matter how much she talks about how she knows healing, what we are seeing just doesn't jive with that what with her flashback to her daughter biking into traffic.

I think it's completely unfair for Napoleon to blame Heather. Just because she was aware of the side effects, it doesn't mean she knew they were happening. Of course it's more complicated than that when it comes to emotions but still...

Yeah, while I believe that Carmel believes it, I think she is still full of anger as well. They mentioned she was on psychotropics, so I'm thinking maybe she is the one who is unknowingly threatening Masha.

Isn't she watching everyone with cameras? That's how she knew to run in and help Ben and Jessica too, right? LOL at the waking up to see her in your bed. I would have been out of there after Masha drugged everyone without their consent. I'd actually feel a responsibility to turn her in for that since it could go so wrong in so many ways.

In fact, I'd like a spin off of Tony and Frances leaving that place, turning Masha in and then living their lives. We could see their romance play out, Tony getting sober and rebuilding a relationship with his kids and Frances taking her writing in a new direction and her experience with that. That would be interesting to me. I'm mainly watching this show for them, really. I was happy just watching them become friends.

• Love 19

Am guessing Masha is using her guests as guinea pigs to experiment on psychedelic hallucination protocols. She desperately needs that protocol to be working so she can see & interact with her dead daughter.

These are… distracting or disturbing? 🤔

8FFAD700-5521-49B4-8309-0FFB65757DBD.jpeg

• Love 3

I didn't realize I'd love the Tony and Frances scenes so much, but I just do. Oh another thing I liked about the episode was when they were all (minus Marconis) in the water and Tony was freaking out about them getting out of the water.

I also don't remember anything about Lars from the book (which I read a while ago), but I like him here too.

Edited by Steph Sometimes
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I also don't remember anything about Lars from the book (which I read a while ago), but I like him here too.

The only thing I remember is that he was supposed to be extremely good looking which I don't think the actor is in this series. My favorite Liane Moriarty book was 'What Alice Forgot' and at one time Jennifer Aniston was attached to it.

• Love 3

Is Masha trying to weaponize Carmel somehow, if she's the only one not getting better?

I found the use of 'love on the brain' here a little embarrassing (or a mark of this as a not-quite-quality show) altho I enjoy just about every scene with McCarthy and Canavale.

Are the influencer and the lotto winner only going to be comic relief here? You could lift them out of the show and it wouldn't matter.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

The only thing I remember is that he was supposed to be extremely good looking which I don't think the actor is in this series.

There aren't enough shocked face emojis for me to reply to this comment. lol I think Luke Evans is one of the most handsome men on the earth. But I know people's tastes are different so I'll try not to take it personally. 😆  I'm glad Lars has softened since we first met him. He was pretty unlikeable at first. My guess is that by the end of the show, he decides he wants a kid (because his crappy childhood experience is not a precursor for his future child) and gets back together with his ex.

Also, Nicole's face, wig and accent don't bother me at all. I also love her outfits.

ETA: I think it's not bothering me because it fits the character. Makes her more eccentric and mysterious.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

We were convinced Luke Evans (Lars) was Brian Austin Green when he first showed up at the store in the first episode.

rs_1200x1200-201202113451-1200-Luke-Evans-LT-120220-shutterstock_editorial_10467493e_copy_450x450.jpg.e4340e7744f68fa265cdcbd1db30aa8a.jpgmegan-fox-en-brian-austin-green-denken-verschillend-over-datum-relatiebreuk_copy_501x501.jpg.2cf6af864bd994df309e773f8de150e4.jpg

Oh my God I thought this was the same person I was like he looks better with a tan 

• LOL 5
5 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

There aren't enough shocked face emojis for me to reply to this comment. lol I think Luke Evans is one of the most handsome men on the earth

Most of the men who were People's Sexiest Man Alive never did it for me either so I am glad you didn't take offense. 😂

• Love 1
20 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

That kiss was hot.

I'm not buying what Masha is selling to the Marconis, like at all. I think she's using them as guinea pigs. I think she thinks that if she figures out the right combination and dosage of drugs and whatever techniques to get the Marconis to "see" Zach, she'll have figured out how to use it on herself so that she can see her daughter again. Because no matter how much she talks about how she knows healing, what we are seeing just doesn't jive with that what with her flashback to her daughter biking into traffic.

I think it's completely unfair for Napoleon to blame Heather. Just because she was aware of the side effects, it doesn't mean she knew they were happening. Of course it's more complicated than that when it comes to emotions but still...

THIS! Not ok, Masha! They were doing better, saying thing they'd kept inside, they even had sex for the first time in 2 years or something. Now she has a psychotic break and he wants to leave her. Masha is now harmful, not helpful. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, dmc said:

Raise your hand who scares you more Carmel or Masha

Not gonna lie for me its Carmel

I think that’s intentional.  But she’s more human to me.  Characters like Masha, I find annoying, if they’re supposed to be otherworldly gurus.  I have never liked gurus.  She seems to be the most suppressed of them all.  

• Love 8

Love Frances and Tony. I'm a lesbian and I still thought that kiss was hot as hell :) Tony being so very anxious that everyone was in. the. WATER! was perfect. I've seen Bobby Cannavale in a number of different roles, and this is my favorite.

I think what Masha is doing is despicable. I also think that this episode should come with a strong warning to anyone who has lost a child to suicide or accident. The scene with Heather was brutal and could trigger some to almost the same extent.

This episode left me with two big questions: 1) Where is Zoe? Last seen she was still under the influence, looking like she was lost in the woods. Why weren't her parents missing her at that meeting with Masha?  2) Is anyone else worried about Frances's safety? The last we see of her, she's alone with Carmel after telling her that everyone else is healing except Carmel. I mean Frances said it out of concern, but Carmel is not always able to handle criticism well.

I haven't read the book, so the reveal that Masha had a dead child was shocking to me. I thought that last bit was very well done; it seemed at first that it was about Masha and her memory of herself as a child - that sudden segue to her daughter riding into traffic was very well done. And made me hate Mash even more for using the Marconi's grief and guilt to ease her own.

• Love 6

Do medications that list "suicidal ideation" as one of their side effects even exist? And aren't they immediately withdrawn from the market the first time someone acts upon it? The whole thing was just bizarre. In any case yeah, absolutely NOT Heather's fault. 

So did Masha also lose a daughter? Or was that her in a weird visual metaphor where she sees her child-self get run over by a car? Sometimes it's hard to tell with this show. 

22 minutes ago, stormy weather said:

Do medications that list "suicidal ideation" as one of their side effects even exist? And aren't they immediately withdrawn from the market the first time someone acts upon it? The whole thing was just bizarre. In any case yeah, absolutely NOT Heather's fault. 

So did Masha also lose a daughter? Or was that her in a weird visual metaphor where she sees her child-self get run over by a car? Sometimes it's hard to tell with this show. 

https://people.com/health/common-allergy-asthma-medication-can-cause-suicidal-thoughts-in-children-fda/

• Love 3

Do medications that list "suicidal ideation" as one of their side effects even exist?

Yes. There are many that have this as a side effect. Including, ironically, some drugs for depression, anxiety, and psychosis. The depression meds that cause suicidal ideation are particularly dangerous for young people, as that side effect presents more often and more severely in late teens/young adults, especially males.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, stormy weather said:

Pretty much all antidepressants list suicidal ideation as one of the possible side effects. More prevalent in young people for some reason. But it’s a very small percentage that are effected, so I certainly don’t blame Heather for not doing anything. 

7 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Yes. There are many that have this as a side effect. Including, ironically, some drugs for depression, anxiety, and psychosis. The depression meds that cause suicidal ideation are particularly dangerous for young people, as that side effect presents more often and more severely in late teens/young adults, especially males.

The very first time I was prescribed an antidepressant, many years ago, the doctor told me that was a possible side effect (but very unlikely). He said the antidepressant gives people the energy they didn’t have when they were deeply depressed to actually act on their suicidal impulses. Again, very rare. Most people are glad to feel better and start enjoying life again.

• Love 7
On 9/9/2021 at 12:21 AM, Armchair Critic said:

Zach seems kind of annoying actually.

With the Marconis being such a good looking family, I find the choice of the actor playing Zach interesting (& not in a shallow way!). Was Zach handsome in the book?

On 9/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, BingeyKohan said:

Are the influencer and the lotto winner only going to be comic relief here? You could lift them out of the show and it wouldn't matter.

My son loves the lotto winner. I thought it was kind of cool how they both said they preferred their lives before winning the money.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, dmc said:

Raise your hand who scares you more Carmel or Masha
Not gonna lie for me its Carmel

Carmel for sure! 

My favorite line was something to the effect of how Zach can't tell the Marconis anything they don't already know. I think Heather did feel guilty about the suicidal ideation warning label but perhaps was suppressing it because it was too painful to remember. Combine that with Napoleon's strong need to blame someone; first it was himself, now it's Heather, & it might destroy their marriage. I hate to admit it, but I too have to fight the need to assign blame when shit happens--it's an awful trait I think I inherited from my mother. I think their marriage was headed for disaster anyway, so exposing this problem might be the only way to fix things...

• Love 7
On 9/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, archer1267 said:

I feel so much for the Marconis, who clearly need professional help to deal with Zack's death and not psychedelics.

I mean they obviously tried that and it didn't get them anywhere. At this resort are only people who've tried everything and see that as their last resort (pun intended).

What would be great for them is actual therapy, done by an actual, licensed therapist, assisted by Psilocybin or LSD, but that is hard to come by, as both drugs are illegal.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:37 AM, Anela said:

What she did to the Marconi's - I would never forgive. She didn't need to remember that about the medication.

Of course she needed to remember that. As discussed before, just knowing your issues isn't an automatic magical fix, but without knowing about them, you can't work on them. She clearly had that memory, just surpressed and it was clearly weighing heavily on her, otherwise it wouldn't have come out in such a violent way.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, stormy weather said:

Do medications that list "suicidal ideation" as one of their side effects even exist? And aren't they immediately withdrawn from the market the first time someone acts upon it?

If you'd take all medications with that side effect off the market, there wouldn't be any anti depressents left... which might actually be a good thing, since they barely work and have a ton of serious side effects. But that is a different discussion.

Allergy medication often has steroids in them and everything that screws with your hormones can have those sideeffects, too.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 1

I loved this episode and that swing! Where do I sign up? I haven’t done psychedelics that I’m aware of, but this shows a lot of possibility.  Conventional thinking doesn’t work for everyone.  

I wonder how Marsha will work out her nightmare. It looks like the shooting was not the worst thing in her past.  

Masha is improving, imo. Seems she needs better support staff. Lol

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Zonk said:

I mean they obviously tried that and it didn't get them anywhere. At this resort are only people who've tried everything and see that as their last resort (pun intended).

What would be great for them is actual therapy, done by an actual, licensed therapist, assisted by Psilocybin or LSD, but that is hard to come by, as both drugs are illegal.

Of course she needed to remember that. As discussed before, just knowing your issues isn't an automatic magical fix, but without knowing about them, you can't work on them. She clearly had that memory, just surpressed and it was clearly weighing heavily on her, otherwise it wouldn't have come out in such a violent way.

If you'd take all medications with that side effect off the market, there wouldn't be any anti depressents left... which might actually be a good thing, since they barely work and have a ton of serious side effects. But that is a different discussion.

Allergy medication often has steroids in them and everything that screws with your hormones can have those sideeffects, too.

I disagree, and I'm still pissed. I know they're fictional characters, but this sort of thing probably happens IRL, in some groups out there. 

• Love 1
On 9/11/2021 at 10:11 AM, IslandGirl said:

With the Marconis being such a good looking family, I find the choice of the actor playing Zach interesting (& not in a shallow way!). Was Zach handsome in the book?

They process their grief through running.  They're incredibly fit.

• Love 1
On 9/12/2021 at 9:59 AM, bilgistic said:

This sort of thing does indeed happen in real life. There's a Netflix series called "(Un)Well", one episode of which focuses on a Florida organization (there are many others like it) that holds retreats for people to trip on ayuhausca so they can supposedly have some sort of spiritual or emotional awakening.

The charlatan leader of the group had it classified as a church so the "members" and attendees to the $600 weekend retreats could use illegal ayuhausca under the guise of a "religious practice".

The practice of taking ayuhausca is one that was reserved for indigenous shamans (the episode goes into that), but this group of white folks, led by a white man, has appropriated it for profit.

One retreat attendee died, but the group refuses to admit fault and somehow avoided culpability. Others have had seizures and exceedingly "bad trips".

Didnt Law & Order do an episode like this? A woman gets raped by a man who does these "spiritual" journeys through hallucinogens? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2021 at 5:05 PM, Zonk said:

I think many people with clinical depression would disagree with you. But I agree that's another discussion. 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, BingeyKohan said:

The thing is, I like the couple, but I feel we haven't gotten to know them deeply at all. Especially Ben. Or are they not deep people? But I do think their story is underdeveloped. 

• Love 8
On 9/9/2021 at 9:27 PM, preeya said:

He's a great character actor. I've never seen him in a role I didn't like.

This show is a bit of a Boardwalk Empire reunion with Bobby and Michael Shannon.  They were two of the craziest characters on that show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

This was easily the best episode of the series thus far for me but I feel like the bar is rather low. I still find it all rather silly but it's an okay enough summer diversion. 

I would like to see them delve deeper into Carmel's psyche a bit because right now I'm getting a whole lot of "unreliable narrator" vibe from her. There's no way she and Masha weren't aware of one another beforehand so it came across as pretty cheesy to me that they dropped this bombshell out of the blue. 

Everyone just needs to get the hell out of there ASAP, especially the Marconis. 

• Love 3