Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also if anyone hasn't tried the new Girl Scout cookie Adventurefuls, you should- they are really good.  I bought one box a few weeks ago to try them out - polished it off and bought four more boxes on Friday - one for now, three for the freezer. 

Are those the caramel brownie ones? I ordered a box of those and Thin Mints from my friend's daughter; haven't seen her to get them yet.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, shapeshifter said:

Hoping @Ailianna's surgery went well. 🤞
If Ailianna or anyone else missed the Friday show for any reason (including preempting for BB), at this moment here's a working YouTube video of the game. The only thing missing is the intros:

https://youtu.be/KZdkCPGr874

Thank you so much! Surgery went well. 28 big black stitches down my spine but I'm starting to be mobile again already.

In FJ news, I somehow got 4/5, missing alright alright alright. 

I have only hospital food to bring, but it's bland and boring if anyone wants some!

I like your desserts much better.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 11

Week 28: 1/5

Apparently I am now completely adjusted to Daylight Saving Time and no longer reaping any anti-sundowning benefit of Jeopardy! airing an hour earlier. 
After instagetting Tony Bennett on Monday, it was Game Over for me.

Number one-shaped celery sticks it is:

image.png.0ef16f1e62372c23a486d9474e29cdae.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Don't forget two asterisks this week everyone!

WEEK 28 • Mar. 21, 2022 — TWO asterisk *  
136. Singers. In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material.
137. Historic Nicknames. Napoleon’s troops gave him this nickname not to mock him but for showing the courage of an infantryman in battle.
* 138. Poems. The title of this poem comes from a 1920 book that refers to its possible “restoration to fruitfulness.”  *
139. Disney Characters. In the source material from more than 3 centuries ago, her name was Badr al-Budur, “full moon of full moons.”
* 140. U.S. City Names. Adopted in 1845, the name of this state capital is a feminized form of a big body of water.*

• Love 2

4/5 1* (Atlanta). For some reason that came to me pretty quickly. 

I really liked Nicole, but she needed to use her inside voice. My husband & kids, and even my sister and my oldest brother are loud af and I want to give them all hearing tests. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

2/5, 1*

If I had missed today's FJ, I might have had to move.  How can you not see "big body of water" and not think "Atlantic....Atlanta." ?

I couldn't get past "Oceania" or "Lagos" (because lago is Spanish for lake).  Definitely needed to BMS on my big bodies of water.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I'm off to find my annual fix of Girl Scout cookies tomorrow. Can I get any for y'all?

That reminds me, I gotta call my friend. I assume she's got mine by now...

• Love 1

Week 28: 2/5

YTD: 66/140, 5*, 6A*, 2M*

10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

How can you not see "big body of water" and not think "Atlantic....Atlanta." ?

When "sea" comes to mind first, and you persist with Seattle, not thinking that it's not even the capital!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

A good week for me 3/5*.

I'll bring Neapolitan ice cream - which, imo, is NOT a flavor, but a packaging of three flavors. (eaten by me in this order - chocolate, strawberry, vanilla).

9 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I'm off to find my annual fix of Girl Scout cookies tomorrow. Can I get any for y'all?

We just stuffed ourselves silly with our order. I'm good, thank you. 🙂

• Love 4

3/5, 1*

They do rounds here at the hospital at 7, and J! starts at 7. So I've been getting the first half of the J! round, and cutting back in near the late part of DJ! because of that. But they've been finished with it usually just in time for me to try FJ!  and find out if my brain can do this without warm up. They are all semi educated guesses, but I'll take it.

I can share the institutional Italian food, but I can't recommend it!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

In honor of Tony Bennett, right? 😉
How much longer do you expect before you can go home to real food?

Right! 

They are saying two or two and a half more weeks. Fingers crossed.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Right! 

They are saying two or two and a half more weeks. Fingers crossed.

Are you going to a rehab facility? My roomie at my rehab had back surgery and came to the facility to continue recovery. Glad yours went well.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Are you going to a rehab facility? My roomie at my rehab had back surgery and came to the facility to continue recovery. Glad yours went well.

Thanks. I'm in acute rehab now, so that's hoped for time to go home again.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Thanks. I'm in acute rehab now, so that's hoped for time to go home again.

"Acute rehab" 10 days or so sounds like you'll get good post-op care. Some places don't have that; they just send you home. 
For decades I've mused about my physical challenges: "If I were Cher, I'd have [paid people] to do that for me every day."
Let's pretend your facility is modeled after Cher's in-home spa and gym. 🙃☺️

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

3/5 with 1*.  Got Tony Bennett (who I had the delight of meeting briefly about 20 years ago) and Jasmine pretty easily.  I am mad that I couldn't get the Napoleon title - I could not get my mind to find Corporal in its vocabulary. 

The Wasteland popped into my brain at the very last second because it had to overcome the traumatizing memories and one humorous moment of studying it my senior year at W&M.  I stayed up very late with the English majors on my floor going over the portion of the poem that the professor had assigned to our row but gave up declaring "I am a history/government major and I am going to bed" - ultimately the prof called on everyone in our row, skipped me and nearly gave the girl sitting behind me in the next row a heart attack by calling on her.  I had taken several prior classes with him and for this one I had to run across campus to get there on time and invariably walked in just in front of him (he was usually finishing a cigarette in the hall).  As we all walked out after class, he winked at me and said I deserved a break for taking all my lit classes with him and practically breaking my neck every day getting to class. 

I could have read Friday's clue until the cows came home and not gotten the answer - it was a long week at work and I don't think I ever associated Atlanta with Atlantic (but now of course, it seems so obvious). 

Edited by Grundoon59
Grammar Goof
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

3/5 with 1*.  Got Tony Bennett (who I had the delight of meeting briefly about 20 years ago) and Jasmine pretty easily.  I am mad that I couldn't get the Napoleon title - I could not get my mind to find Corporal in its vocabulary. 

The Wasteland which popped into my brain at the very last second because it had to overcome the traumatizing memories and one humorous moment of studying it my senior year at W&M.  I stayed up very late with the English majors on my floor going over the portion of the poem that the professor had assigned to our row but gave up declaring "I am a history/government major and I am going to bed" - ultimately the prof called on everyone in our row, skipped me and nearly gave the girl sitting behind me in the next row a heart attack by calling on her.  I had taken several prior classes with him and for this one I had to run across campus to get there on time and invariably walked in just in front of him (he was usually finishing a cigarette in the hall).  As we all walked out after class, he winked at me and said I deserved a break for taking all my lit classes with him and practically breaking my neck every day getting to class. 

I could have read Friday's clue until the cows came home and not gotten the answer - it was a long week at work and I don't think I ever associated Atlanta with Atlantic (but now of course, it seems so obvious). 

I love your story, @Grundoon59, and am a tiny bit sorry you did not switch your major to English if that would have landed you a position in journalism or script writing etc.

• Love 2

2/5 (no * this week, right?)  Completely wild guess on New Zealand.  And I'm totally taking credit for Stonewall (without the "Inn").  Anyone want to fight me on it?  I will kick you Rockette-style.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

3/5 this week.

4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

(no * this week, right?)  

That's correct.

4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And I'm totally taking credit for Stonewall (without the "Inn").  Anyone want to fight me on it?  I will kick you Rockette-style.

If I were the judge I would accept Stonewall.

• Love 2

WEEK 29 • Mar. 28, 2022 — NO asterisk *  
141. Sports History. Taking the mound for Cleveland in 1948, he was the first African American to pitch in a World Series.
142. Shakespeare’s Women. It is said of her, “Infected minds to their deaf pillows will discharge their secrets: more needs she the divine than the physician.”
143. Americans in Paris. In 2021 she became the sixth woman & the first Black woman to be inducted into the Panthéon in Paris.
144. Historic Places. Following a raid at this establishment in 1969, protesters confronted police by forming a Rockette-style kickline.
145. Countries of the World. Some of this country’s indigenous people want its name officially changed from its Dutch-based name to Aotearoa.

• Love 1
(edited)

0/5 that should have been at least a 1 ("Stonewall" escaped my half-asleep brain) 
but we agree I'm just here to lower the curve, so it's all good.
And, what really counts, is that I would instantly be able to find your o-shaped radiator gas cap if there was steam coming out of your car engine (no hood ornament required).
Googling o-shaped food finds an image of lemon mousse from Sri Lanka,
the image hosted on Wikimedia Commons,
note the plates and spoons; help yourselves.

956px-Lemon_mousse-Sri_Lanka.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

4/5 I guessed St. Maarten for Friday. Had no idea that there was a Dutch - New Zealand connection, but Google tells me that the Dutch arrived in 1642 and named the territory New Zeeland, which was anglicized to New Zealand when the British colonized it.

That lemon mousse looks amazing! 

• Love 3