Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

(edited)

4/5 with 1* (which I got with a pure guess after getting stuck on Cyrano but thinking he wouldn't be considered ridiculous).

Got M-W and thought I was on a roll but I couldn't make my Thursday brain come up with any Sicilian cities  Sarajevo was just one of those things I knew and for Tuesday, a long ago fascination with early years of the Oscars (and movies of the 1930s) took me right to Gable. 

My favorite FJ of the week though was the Guggenheim - I was lucky enough to visit many times with the Parental Grundoons in my formative years and it was the kind of museum where we might be at different paces looking at exhibits but would wait up before descending another level (always took the elevator up and made our way down).  One particularly fond memory is of an exhibit of abstract art with lots of pieces with names like "Untitled No.  2" which all of us found funny for some reason.  Father Grundoon and I were about half a level away when we heard Mother Grundoon's laughter echoing across the atrium - we knew exactly which painting she was looking at and had predicted the reaction.  Sophisticated and/or jaded New Yorkers were not as amused as we were but we didn't care. 

Edited by Grundoon59
clarification of thought
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Week 25:  1/5

I only got the Guggenheim.

The first two days of the week ended in frustration. Since joining this FJ contest, I write down my FJ answers just as the contestants do, so I know if I make it within the 30 second time limit. I was stumped by Monday's question and finally wrote down Kabul, knowing I was off by a couple of decades. About a second before time ran out, I smacked myself in the head and said, "Sarajevo!" So I got the correct answer, but I can't claim it.

Tuesday was a repeat of Monday. When I saw 1939, my mind went straight to Gone with the Wind but I wrote down Thomas Mitchell as I knew he had been in several other big films in the late 30s. Again, just before time ran out, I shouted out Gable's name, when I thought of It Happened One Night, but couldn't get it on paper in time.

Thursday was the opposite scenario. I had the right answer and then changed my mind. I knew it had to do with the mafia, which led me to Sicily and Palermo but I second guessed myself thinking that was way too easy and changed my answer to Naples. Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy had a bit about corruption in its Naples episode, so I picked that Italian city instead.

Friday, I said Candide. Thank heavens I went on a class trip to the Guggenheim as a kid. 😄

Bring on a new week PLEASE!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I write down my FJ answers just as the contestants do, so I know if I make it within the 30 second time limit. I was stumped by Monday's question and finally wrote down Kabul, knowing I was off by a couple of decades. About a second before time ran out, I smacked myself in the head and said, "Sarajevo!" So I got the correct answer, but I can't claim it.

Oh? Is that how most of the folks on this thread do it? 
If it comes into my head before time's up, I count it. 🤥

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So do I.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Our house rule is that if it comes out of our mouths we count it, though we wait until the song is over to say our answers. We are friendly competitors so we can't leave it to "I just thought that!" (I mean we say that - but it doesn't count unless we say the answer out loud)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

3/5 this week (RENT, Lizzie Borden, and Harvey Milk).

I'll bring...

[...] five miso soup
Four seaweed salad
Three soy burger dinner
Two tofu dog platter
And one pasta with meatless balls

(it tastes the same, if you close your eyes)

and thirteen orders of fries.

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 5

Same as @ams1001 - Got Rent, Lizzie Borden, & Harvey Milk 3/5

On 3/7/2022 at 8:50 AM, Clanstarling said:

Our house rule is that if it comes out of our mouths we count it, though we wait until the song is over to say our answers. We are friendly competitors so we can't leave it to "I just thought that!" (I mean we say that - but it doesn't count unless we say the answer out loud)

That’s how we do it at casa Toothbrush as well. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'll bring...

[...] five miso soup
Four seaweed salad
Three soy burger dinner
Two tofu dog platter
And one pasta with meatless balls

(it tastes the same, if you close your eyes)

and thirteen orders of fries.

Awesome! I'll bring a green salad with vinaigrette dressing.

But this post is still making me smile:

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

2/5, Borden & Milk. Hmm, I guess I need to be bringing the dairy products to the feast 

• Love 4

1/5 Lizzie Borden although I should have gotten Harvey.  I focused more on politician who might have died in 1978 and why that was important then the bit about the multicolored flag type thing.   Yeah.  Ooops.    

• Love 4

II/V I got Lizzie Borden and Harvey Milk although I could remember only his last name.

I shall bring cabbage rolls for Ukraine and wish I could really give them cabbage rolls.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

2/5, Borden & Milk. Hmm, I guess I need to be bringing the dairy products to the feast 

2/5 - this won't be the table for the lactose intolerant this week.

I call dibs on ice cream - I'm craving ice cream this week. One serving size for everyone - in the efficient single size container called a pint.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I call dibs on ice cream - I'm craving ice cream this week. One serving size for everyone - in the efficient single size container called a pint.

I just made more chocolate syrup last night...

• Love 4

Was 0/3 after Wednesday, and thought I might be shut out, but was saved by instagets on Thursday and Friday (well, on Thu I did go through a couple of seconds of, 'Who was it that gave her mother 40 whacks?', before coming up with the name). So, 2/5. 

I shall bring cabbage rolls for Ukraine and wish I could really give them cabbage rolls.

Cabbage rolls and coffee! I'm pretty sure Leutonia was once part of Ukraine. 

• Love 2

3/5 and one *. Very uneven week from me, which I am partially blaming on stress.

I have surgery on my spinal cord scheduled for this coming Friday, so I know I'm going to miss watching Friday. I'm supposed to be in the hospital for about four weeks after that. If I'm stuck reading the archive that whole time, I'll be disappointed, but I'm hoping to keep up with FJ at least. If I miss a week, that's where I'm at, though. Next week I'll be in the ICU until at least Monday, so next week is my main worry. I hope I can stay in the contest even if I miss a week. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I have surgery on my spinal cord scheduled for this coming Friday

Best wishes, Ailianna!

10 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

3/5 and one *.

There was an asterisk this past week?  Which day?  I haven't seen an official list of clues and *s yet.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

3/5 and one *. Very uneven week from me, which I am partially blaming on stress.

I have surgery on my spinal cord scheduled for this coming Friday, so I know I'm going to miss watching Friday. I'm supposed to be in the hospital for about four weeks after that. If I'm stuck reading the archive that whole time, I'll be disappointed, but I'm hoping to keep up with FJ at least. If I miss a week, that's where I'm at, though. Next week I'll be in the ICU until at least Monday, so next week is my main worry. I hope I can stay in the contest even if I miss a week. 

That sounds incredibly stressful. Sending you good thoughts.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Driad said:

There was an asterisk this past week?  Which day?  I haven't seen an official list of clues and *s yet.

Monday, Lake Nicaragua & Lake Managua.

(That was Maureen's first win, with only her and Margaret in the final.)

Week 26: 1/5

I'm frustrated that I didn't get Harvey Milk, which in hindsight should have been an instaget for me. For some reason, I read politician as president and limited my choices. I suspect that Laura may have done the same, which led her to guess Truman. I said LBJ thinking about his civil rights legislation. Also, I knew he died in the 70s, but it turns out I was five years off on his passing. My mind's been wandering lately. I need to pay better attention to all the details of the clue.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Week 26: 1/5

I'm frustrated that I didn't get Harvey Milk, which in hindsight should have been an instaget for me. For some reason, I read politician as president and limited my choices. I suspect that Laura may have done the same, which led her to guess Truman. I said LBJ thinking about his civil rights legislation. Also, I knew he died in the 70s, but it turns out I was five years off on his passing. My mind's been wandering lately. I need to pay better attention to all the details of the clue.

I knew exactly where and when I heard Milk and Mayor Moscone had been assassinated.   I was going to grad school in the Bay Area. The assassination was not even 10 days after the Jim Jones People's Temple suicides (the People's Temple started in the Bay Area, so lots of families in the area suffered losses).

The Bay Area was reeling, and I broke down. It was just too much in such a short time.

So yeah, it was an instaget for me.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Thank you for all the good wishes!!

Good luck to you! 

Almost every time we visited my grandmother or my dad in the hospital after dinner we watched Jeopardy in their room.

• Love 3