Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Did anyone else say papier-mâché like George's pretentious girlfriend on Seinfeld?

I did, and for that exact reason! 😁

My Cheers-loving husband was very disappointed by the Shelley Long TS. “I bet they don’t even know who played Norm!” Me: “Um…”

He does seem to have gotten past his fear of Mattea and her TBH. At least, he no longer shouts when they make an appearance. Personally, I have resigned myself to her presence. I don’t actively dislike her, I just don’t find her compelling or rootable, so I’ll be glad to get a new champ, whenever that happens.

I certainly won’t stop watching because of her. I mean, I endured weeks of Mayim. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

Speaking of Richard III, if you have not read The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, I recommend it.

PBS had a show in which a man with a back problem similar to Richard's wore armor (specially designed IIRC), rode a horse, etc.  Does anyone know what that show was?

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Driad said:

Speaking of Richard III, if you have not read The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey, I recommend it.

PBS had a show in which a man with a back problem similar to Richard's wore armor (specially designed IIRC), rode a horse, etc.  Does anyone know what that show was?

Resurrecting Richard III?

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/resurrecting-richard-iii-preview/1896/

There's an article under "Features" that sounds like what you're talking about.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/blog/time-richard-iii-life-afterwards/

• Love 2
21 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I often wondered when I read on here, 'I'm out until (particular host/contestant) is gone' whether that was just a comment, or if people were actually skipping Jeopardy for a period of time.  I am about to find out because I cannot watch another day of the ridiculous arm flapping and stupid chatty comments about how much the wager will be, why it will be that amount, and whether or not it turned out to be the right move.  Not to mention the 'could it be?' or 'I don't know, maybe?' comments in place of 'what is' when she's rung in but doesn't know the answer.  Just when Mattea seems to lean into the game and stop with her foolishness, she gets another DD and it starts all over again.  I haven't watched the last few Final Jeopardys and actually turned the channel mid-Double Jeopardy yesterday.  I'll come back here daily to find out if she won but I have lost the will to sit through another day of her.

Could not have said it better myself 

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

She said on Twitter that she did the same things during her audition and the producers had no problems with it so why change. Also that losing money makes her feel bad, so if her wagering is keeping her in the right frame of mind to keep going then that is what she should do.

She has done really well considering how risk averse she is even when she's so far ahead, the game where she was the only person left for FJ showed how much she hates the thought of losing a lot of what she already has, I'm sure a lot would have bet all but $1 as would I if I was in her position. You won't find her at the tables in LV that's for sure.

• Love 5
On 4/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bliss said:

So... not a fan of the wonderful Payne Stewart, I take it?

He was the exception to the rule.  A great golfer, a colorful dresser and a wonderful person by all accounts I've read.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, ams1001 said:

But I got all the DDs and seven of the 13 TSes - Shelly Long, Moonstone (which I got from the Wilkie Collins mention in the clue, not the picture), wig (what else is one likely wear on their head besides a hat, that would have an old-timey job name?), SCUBA, appendectomy, St. Petersburg, and Lamentations (DD). (There were 8 in J! and 5 in DJ, including the missed DD.)

I had no idea that moonstone was another birthstone for June (I knew about pearl and alexandrite) but also got that one from Wilkie Collins.  I didn't get wig, for some idiot reason, or scuba but did get the rest, as well as kachina and rodent.  Should've gotten mascarpone but all I could think of was gouda, which I knew was wrong.

And FJ was an instaget for me, too; I read everything I could find about it when his bones were discovered beneath that carpark in Leicester.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Bastet said:

Did anyone else say papier-mâché like George's pretentious girlfriend on Seinfeld?

I did, although more to be funny than anything else.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:48 AM, j5cochran said:

Any Star Trek movie fans in the crowd? The $400 clue in the category Firsts was "In 1960 the U.S. launched the U.S.S. Enterprise, the first of these big boats that was nuclear powered".

My response was automatically "What are the nuclear wessels?"

Only me? I'll show myself out....

I answered correctly but then followed it up with nuclear wessels.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:25 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Confederacy do Dunces.

I knew the book but had no idea what the character was named.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:17 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I zeroed in on the "acro"" part and guessed climbing.

That's what I did, too.  Glad I wasn't the only one.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, bankerchick said:

I often wondered when I read on here, 'I'm out until (particular host/contestant) is gone' whether that was just a comment, or if people were actually skipping Jeopardy for a period of time. 

For me, it means I'm not watching until the person who annoys me is gone.  I check the archive to see the clues and to see if it's safe for me to watch.  For example, this season I stopped watching until Matt lost and the same with Amy.  It's really a personal thing.  Some champions annoy me enough that I skip their games; others not so much.

On 4/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Whether it helps her win or not, I still find it annoying.  

And as I stated not just her but all contestants 

Also i really don't think any of those things but under bidding and being consetvative in her wagers help her win.  

It's possible that she thinks they do, and that's all that matters.  Or what Bastet said.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:57 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

I'm sure a lot would have bet all but $1 as would I if I was in her position.

I might've bet more than she did, but not a lot more.  I'm fine with not losing money.  Really wish I hadn't bet big on my FJ, although I don't believe I'd have won even if I'd bet nothing.

• Love 6

Somehow, despite running two categories in each round (Picture the Song, Musical Instruments, Books & Authors, and I'll Follow You), I still only managed 61%. Got nothing in Same First & Last Letter (I usually do better in word categories) and one in Mexican-American War (which was a fluke) and missed 2-3 in everything else. My only TS was Royals. But FJ was an instaget, so there's that.

I don't hate her or anything, but I am beyond ready for Mattea and her time-wasting in-game chatter to be done.

Also, is it just me or have more players been making it "a true daily double" instead of betting the max when they have less than 1000/2000? Unless it's late in the game and you risk being in the red, it makes no sense if you want to get ahead.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Also, is it just me or have more players been making it "a true daily double" instead of betting the max when they have less than 1000/2000? Unless it's late in the game and you risk being in the red, it makes no sense if you want to get ahead.

It's not you.  I think Alex used to remind them that they could wager up to $1000/$2000 but now it seems like the host reminds them they can make it a 'true daily double.'

9 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

It's not you.  I think Alex used to remind them that they could wager up to $1000/$2000 but now it seems like the host reminds them they can make it a 'true daily double.'

Ken told her she could do $1000. It's the only reason I noticed it because I wasn't paying attention the actual score.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Fortunately, I focused on the year instead of all the other information.

I don't think I got any TS in the first round, but in the second, I got Tony Randall, Steven Van Zandt, New Zealand (on a guess), and Friesian.  Friesians are gorgeous horses.

It made me sad that Tony Randall was a TS.

The middle woman had $1000 when Ken reminded her she could wager up to $1000 in the first round.  Ken seems to be very good at reminding players they can wager up to the maximum dollar amount on the board if they have equal to or less than that amount.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Fortunately, I focused on the year instead of all the other information.

I'm super bad at dates, I can get a feeling of about how old some things are but what did it for me this time was just what it was worth in Pounds which spoke England to me and that early... I guessed Mayflower.

• Love 3

I knew Tony Randall, and in my head it was Tom Hanks saying it. Anyone else? (There's an old SNL skit where Hanks says Tony Randall with surprise a million times. https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mr-shortterm-memory-the-game-show/2868098) (I can't see the clip to confirm, but I think it's the right one.) Hitting reload worked, and it is the correct clip, but I couldn't stand to watch it again! 😆

Edited (again) to add that apparently I am Ms. Short-Term Memory. I posted basically the same thing as the above in June 2021 when Tony Randall was an answer. At least I'm consistent.

Edited by dcalley
  • LOL 7

Jessie kept it a really even game with Mattea in the first round (in fact, she led at more points than Mattea did), but Mattea ran away with it in DJ, especially after the second DD.  Good game.

I enjoyed Mattea's reaction to the New Brunswick DD, first her acknowledgment when Ken said $4000 was a big wager for her, and then her Pish, I got this gesture when Canadian geography popped up.  I think Alex would have enjoyed that.

Male hormone = testosterone should never be worth $1200.

I knew war history is very much not my jam, but, wow, apparently I know jack all about the Mexican-American War; I blew that entire category.  It wasn't my round in general, although other than that category I wasn't terrible.  I only ran ocean and PI, but I got all but one in song (and then smacked my forehead when "Royals" was revealed - I forgot all about that song) and missed two each in the others.

I did a lot better in DJ.  I only ran follow* and Ns, but I got all but one in books, hyphens, and actors (three cheers for cultural osmosis, as the only one I'd actually seen is Pulp Fiction) and missed two in manes, so it was a great round.  *Yep, I even knew Ruth, thanks to watching Fried Green Tomatoes so many times I can quote along verbatim; there's a scene where Ruth sends Idgie the quote about "whither thou goest, I will go" and Idgie's mom tells her it's from the book of Ruth in the Bible.  So I figured that was the story.

FJ was an instaguess that I figured had to be right the more I parsed the clue, so I definitely got better as the game went on. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I did a lot better in DJ.  I only ran follow* and Ns, but I got all but one in books, hyphens, and actors (three cheers for cultural osmosis, as the only one I'd actually seen is Pulp Fiction) and missed two in manes, so it was a great round.  *Yep, I even knew Ruth, thanks to watching Fried Green Tomatoes so many times I can quote along verbatim; there's a scene where Ruth sends Idgie the quote about "whither thou goest, I will go" and Idgie's mom tells her it's from the book of Ruth in the Bible.  So I figured that was the story.

I said Ruth just because she was the first biblical woman to come to mind, but hey, it counts!

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Male hormone = testosterone should never be worth $1200.

When Ken made a comment about how testosterone attracts the ladies, I was waiting for Mattea to banter back with something like “Not all the ladies, Ken!” If you’re going to interject all the time, at least don’t miss the obvious setups! (I hate to see a good quip go to waste.)

I liked Jessie. Sigh.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Unfortunately, I focused on everything BUT the year and got nada.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't hate her or anything, but I am beyond ready for Mattea and her time-wasting in-game chatter to be done.

She was ok for the first 5 games or so, but I am so over her silly comments and especially her hand gestures.  She needs to go, please.  I think I get tired of every champion after about 7 games.  Benjamin Franklin’s quote about fish and visitors start to smell after three days applies to Jeopardy players after 10 days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Male hormone = testosterone made me jump into the cheerleader's splits when I got it right - my levels must be lower than I thought. Looks like the only hope of Mattea going away is that they'll tape so many games in a row that she'll lose her voice.

1 minute ago, Chellichik said:

Benjamin Franklin’s quote about fish and visitors start to smell after three days applies to Jeopardy players after 10 days.

Do you post on the Jeopardy facebook page? Someone made a reference to that Ben Franklin quote on there. (If not, I don't recommend it. We have our moments but people here are generally much nicer.)

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Do you post on the Jeopardy facebook page? Someone made a reference to that Ben Franklin quote on there. (If not, I don't recommend it. We have our moments but people here are generally much nicer.)

Ha ha - I don’t frequent their FB page.  I thought of the quote because I recently watched the Benjamin Franklin documentary and that quote was mentioned.

Edited by Chellichik
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I got any TS in the first round, but in the second, I got Tony Randall, Steven Van Zandt, New Zealand (on a guess), and Friesian.  Friesians are gorgeous horses.

Friesians will always be cows to me.image.png.1f635ea69b1472af98887719675b7714.png

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think they're just excited to be able to say, "true daily double."

• Love 7
10 hours ago, InternetToughGuy said:

Male hormone = testosterone made me jump into the cheerleader's splits when I got it right - my levels must be lower than I thought. Looks like the only hope of Mattea going away is that they'll tape so many games in a row that she'll lose her voice.

Nah, she'll just wave her hands to spell out her responses.

• LOL 9
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I enjoyed Mattea's reaction to the New Brunswick DD, first her acknowledgment when Ken said $4000 was a big wager for her, and then her Pish, I got this gesture when Canadian geography popped up.  I think Alex would have enjoyed that.

My eyes were rolling that entire time, but I didn't actually scream at the TV for her to "SHUT UP" until her post-response digression into the nuances of N-named maritime provinces.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, Scott said:

My eyes were rolling that entire time, but I didn't actually scream at the TV for her to "SHUT UP" until her post-response digression into the nuances of N-named maritime provinces.

I didn't even hear what she said because I was rolling my eyes too loudly. I just knew she was chit-chatting about the clue and not picking the next one! It's a timed game show, not trivia night at the bar.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't even hear what she said because I was rolling my eyes too loudly. I just knew she was chit-chatting about the clue and not picking the next one! It's a timed game show, not trivia night at the bar.

I blame Ken for putting her on the spot, really.  He was the one who asked her to name a 4th province. And I was as confused as she was by what he was asking, focusing on the N rather than the concept of Atlantic provinces. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Seriously that handwaving she does is not only annoying but unprofessional. 

It doesn't matter on a game show. I can igmore it.  If she does test at work though, it's more than an annoyance. It's very dismissive snd off putting body language. 

• Love 3

I said fumerole instead of hydrothermal vent.  I was on the right track, but not underwater, alas.

FJ was an instaget since it could only be a ship given the century and had to be the Mayflower, given the date.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of landfall, Tony Randall, and New Zealand.

I did better than last night, but that wasn't much of an accomplishment.

I got landfall and Tony Randall.  My lack of knowledge about seals kept me from focusing on the location.  Not Australia should've given me New Zealand but I said Canada because I know they have seals.  Oh well.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got as far as Little Steven but couldn't come up with Van Zandt even though I knew it.  I almost said Friesian but then wondered if they were cattle instead.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

apparently I know jack all about the Mexican-American War; I blew that entire category. 

I'm usually good at military history but completely stank at that one.  I got Thoreau but nothing else.  I did know that it's the war where Winfield Scott got his nickname of Old Fuss-and-Feathers; too bad they didn't ask that.

14 hours ago, Driad said:

Q: April showers bring May flowers. What do May flowers bring?

A: Pilgrims.

In Maryland, the punch line includes the Colts buggering off to Indianapolis in the middle of the night.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

but I got all but one in song (and then smacked my forehead when "Royals" was revealed - I forgot all about that song)

Me, too.

13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Friesians will always be cows to me.image.png.1f635ea69b1472af98887719675b7714.png

Okay, so I wasn't crazy.  Although, like Browncoat, I call those Holsteins.

43 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I blame Ken for putting her on the spot, really.  He was the one who asked her to name a 4th province. And I was as confused as she was by what he was asking, focusing on the N rather than the concept of Atlantic provinces. 

Yeah, that was all on Ken, not Mattea.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Seriously that handwaving she does is not only annoying but unprofessional. 

It doesn't matter on a game show. I can igmore it.  If she does test at work though, it's more than an annoyance. It's very dismissive snd off putting body language. 

I don't care what she does or doesn't do at work.  It's irrelevant to my watching Jeopardy.  I'd rather she didn't do it on Jeopardy, but otherwise I like her so it doesn't bother me that much.  There've been other champions this season who I found far more annoying.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

I guess @Browncoat and I (and my "friend") are the only ones who know and can recognize the very recognizable Friesian horse. And B+W dairy cattle are Holsteins in North America, while the term Friesians is often used in the UK and Ireland. And since Jeopardy and this site are in North America and not UK or Ireland ... Holsteins they are.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

FJ was an instaget since it could only be a ship given the century and had to be the Mayflower, given the date.

I actually had time to write "What is the Mayflower?" but almost second-guessed myself with: "Could it be the Nina, the Pinta, or the Santa Maria?" because I haven't known a FJ in 2 weeks and couldn't believe I was right.
I knew it because when I was a very little girl (late 1950s?) we went on a tour of what I thought was the real Mayflower. 
So it wasn't. Now I know.

I felt so sad that I couldn't think of Tony Randall's name, just his face. I wonder if any of the players were doing the same?

38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Seriously that handwaving she does is not only annoying but unprofessional. . . .
It's very dismissive [a]nd off putting body language. 

I interpret it to mean she's being self-dismissive. Mileage varies. 

19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd rather she didn't do it on Jeopardy, but otherwise I like her so it doesn't bother me that much.  There've been other champions this season who I found far more annoying.

Same. Well. Actually, I think all of the contestants can be annoying on screen. They are not professional television personalities.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Same. Well. Actually, I think all of the contestants can be annoying on screen. They are not professional television personalities.

I am eternally grateful not to have been on any sites like this when I was a contestant.  Who knows what people said about me?  Probably that I swayed too much and didn't bet correctly for FJ, but hopefully nothing else.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I am eternally grateful not to have been on any sites like this when I was a contestant.  Who knows what people said about me?  Probably that I swayed too much and didn't bet correctly for FJ, but hopefully nothing else.

FWIW, I rarely notice the players' movements that people sometimes complain about, even after I've seen them mentioned and might think to look for them. Which says something about how noticeable it is in this case. Even then it probably wouldn't bother me if it wasn't accompanied by all the extraneous commentary.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

If I'm ever on J!, I'll never reveal it here... not until after I win a ton of cash. Tax free! LOL

I'm happy for Mattea that she's doing so well - many of the Canuck comments I've heard or read vary from "she's so refreshing!" to "wow... so bright for a 23 yr old!". I honestly didn't notice her hands until I read about it here... and now I can't unsee them!! Yeah, she talks a lot, commentates unnecessarily, and I cannot stand nose hoop thingies (what happens when they blow their nose?!!) - but hey, she probably wouldn't like how I wear sandals when most people are still wearing boots. (I'm a barefooter.)

Isn't it a sad commentary on our world that we need to be so judgmental of other people (I'm as guilty as anyone else) - their looks, clothing, tatts, jewelry, quirks, mannerisms, etc? Unless he/she/they are absolute perfection in every single aspect of their being... and of course, then they're criticiZed for being too perfect.

What I enjoy most about Mattea is her vast knowledge of trivia, her speed, and that she doesn't jump all over the board. She tackles the categories methodically, as I would... probably boring to some. I learned while tramping a mountain in New Zealand that baby steps can get you just as far as giant strides.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I interpret it to mean she's being self-dismissive.

Me, too.

They've been clearing the board, so I think her commenting is amazing in that she's moving so fast that she even has time to chatter and not leave clues unrevealed. I am amazed by how relaxed she seems to be. We had a lot of games with unrevealed clues even without chatter before, so clearly they're moving faster now, and it has to be because of her, since she's so dominant most games that whatever she's doing sets the pace.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I guess @Browncoat and I (and my "friend") are the only ones who know and can recognize the very recognizable Friesian horse. And B+W dairy cattle are Holsteins in North America, while the term Friesians is often used in the UK and Ireland. And since Jeopardy and this site are in North America and not UK or Ireland ... Holsteins they are.

I can spot a Friesian in the pasture.  My trainer owns one.  Not my type of horse.  Holsteiners are breed of horse.  I have heard people call the cows Holsteiners…

I DVR Jeopardy! and come here to find the winner.  If it’s Mattea I delete the episode.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Nah, we wouldn’t start complaining about you swaying like a pendulum until after the 6th day or so. (Kidding!)

Seriously, I would hope none of the contestants would take any of the negative comments to heart, if they happened to see them. These are just nitpicks, not an indictment of the person as a whole. I don’t like some of Mattea’s mannerisms, and she doesn’t do it for me as a contestant, but she’s probably a lovely person in the context of her real life.

And while I might “like” or “dislike” a given contestant (again, it’s show context, not personal), I am frankly in awe of anyone who has the intelligence to make it on this show. That is no easy feat. So even though I may be hoping for Mattea to lose, she certainly has my respect!

• Love 4

I don't tend to especially mind over-the-top personalities or a moment of silliness here and there, but all three contestants being so "on" was just a bit too much for me.  I think I'm going to put the kettle on and find where I put the chamomile bags.

• Love 9

Darn, I was rooting for the pink-haired guy.

Ran Science and TV Shows by Setting. My TSes were hemophila and enzymes (both of which surprised me), and snark.

FJ - not in a million years would I have gotten that.

3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I don't tend to especially mind over-the-top personalities or a moment of silliness here and there, but all three contestants being so "on" was just a bit too much for me.  I think I'm going to put the kettle on and find where I put the chamomile bags.

OMG. Can I join you? (and I don't even like chamomile.)

If you wrote out their responses text-style, half of them would have ended with at least five question marks.

Also (paraphrased): "What is...I don't remember what it's called but I think it's the thing that's like...." WTF?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I hadn't the foggiest clue on FJ.  I said Madagascar just to say something.

I got the missed clue of hemophilia.  

I think I've been taking stupid pills because I just have not been doing well.

If anybody wants a laugh, I answered carbon for the first clue.  You say dating, I think carbon.  And I very confidently answered Paganini for the violin question and was shocked it wasn't right.  Which was a bummer, because that was the last chance I had left to run a category.

27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Also (paraphrased): "What is...I don't remember what it's called but I think it's the thing that's like...." WTF?

That so annoyed me.  Even if she was right, that wasn't going to count.  Just say you don't know so we can get on with our lives.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I know Friesian horses too -- worked with a Friesian cross at an equine rescue, and my mom's family hailed from Friesland (way back when).  That answer was a cinch at my house. 

Friesian Perch ring.jpg

• Love 5