Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just now, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe every time someone from a previously unrepresented country becomes a 10-time champion?

Yes, that would be often enough:)

I did enjoy the routine but then I am Canadian.

• Love 3

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I thought the punchline for that routine was buried in the middle, where the many famous Canadians Ken mentioned included one of their writers.  I got a chuckle out of that, but I wouldn't want to hear something similar every day.  Maybe every time someone from a previously unrepresented country becomes a 10-time champion?

I wondered if said writer is the one who wrote that intro (which I am sure the host does not do on their own; they are clearly pre-written and presumably approved by the powers that be). And from what I've read, there is a set time limit for each round of play (though editing may make it seem shorter to the viewer) so the intros or other between-round chat does not impact how much time they have to get to all the clues (or not). The extraneous comments by certain players might, however.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wondered if said writer is the one who wrote that intro (which I am sure the host does not do on their own; they are clearly pre-written and presumably approved by the powers that be). And from what I've read, there is a set time limit for each round of play (though editing may make it seem shorter to the viewer) so the intros or other between-round chat does not impact how much time they have to get to all the clues (or not). The extraneous comments by certain players might, however.

That was what I assumed was the joke/point of the whole thing,  but maybe I was overthinking it.

• Love 4

I think the intro would've worked better for me with 4 or 5 items enumerated, instead of what seemed like 20.  It just went on a bit too long.

Not necessarily in reference to this particular episode: While Ken's enthusiasm for the "superchamps" is understandable and often charming, I think his intros sometimes end up as a too-long monologue about that champ, followed by "and Dick and Jane are also here, let's go to the boards!"  It can be just that little bit too much for me.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to teach the Mormon something about moderation and restraint.  Who would've thunk it? ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

And from what I've read, there is a set time limit for each round of play (though editing may make it seem shorter to the viewer) so the intros or other between-round chat does not impact how much time they have to get to all the clues (or not). The extraneous comments by certain players might, however.

In case anyone was wondering there have been two games with Mattea where clues were left on the board uncovered, -5- on April 11 (that was the one with the Double Presidential Namers that had 3 TSs which always take up time) and -1- in the next game on the 12th (which had the Hugh Laurie -Christie- category with other people reading the clues, which also always takes longer) so her asides are not costing time. Someone on Twitter was blaming Ken which is why I asked the question above about which host has the most uncovered clues to their name. The answer was Mayim.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Yes, that would be often enough:)

I did enjoy the routine but then I am Canadian.

I enjoyed it too. Ken did it very well. Canadian grandfather here.

• Love 3
On 4/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, PaulaO said:

Mattea’s hand flapping is getting on my last nerve.

I didn't even notice it until someone posted something here.  Eh, she talks with her hands, so do I, so it doesn't bother me.  Other people can/do feel differently.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget. But, Ken's logic wasn't foolproof on that one.  Katherine Parr was Henry's last wife, but she wasn't the last to die. That would have been his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves.

Anne never functioned as Elizabeth's stepmother whereas Elizabeth actually had a relationship with Catherine Parr and even lived with Catherine and her second husband for a time.  But I wouldn't necessarily expect someone who wasn't really into Tudor history to know that.  But yeah, just because Parr was the last wife Henry married doesn't mean she was the last one to die.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, Driad said:

If I had to be one of Henry VIII's wives, I would be Anne of Cleves, who never had to ... uh ... 

Yep, she ended up with all the perks of being a princess but never had to sleep with Henry and never had to marry someone else against her will since his endowments to her after their divorce depended on her remaining unmarried.

Catherine of Aragon got the best of Henry in the sex department but the rest . . . boy was she screwed over.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, GreekGeek said:

Well, something has to balance out all those Bible-themed categories! Does the coded meaning of "420" mean that contestants can't use that number to wager?

I'm old so I had no idea what the clue was about.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, PBnJay said:

Ken is suppose to know EVERYTHING!

Having watched Master Minds, I can safely say that Ken doesn't know everything, although he probably knows more than I do.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Having watched Master Minds, I can safely say that Ken doesn't know everything, although he probably knows more than I do.

He still knows an awful lot, I can practically see the sighs of relief from the contestants when Ken doesn't make the final.

• Love 3
On 4/17/2022 at 9:14 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

I'm going to want Amy or Matt to annihilate Mattea.

I want Mattea to annihilate them both.  Couldn't stand either one.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just read Arabian Nights last year, but my mind did not go there.  I didn't come up with anything.

FJ was an instaget for me even though I greatly prefer the unexpurgated version of the Sir Richard Francis Burton translation myself.

16 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

To no avail, I was yelling “Wichita! Wichita! You dolts!”

For some reason I have a mental block about Wichita.  I know it exists, is the largest city in Kansas and is right there in the title of Wichita Lineman, a song I love, but whenever it's the answer on Jeopardy, I blank on it.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I found it fun that two clues in a row - Wichita and Galveston - made me think of Glen Campbell songs.

Me too, although I knew the Bolivar Peninsula was near Galveston because I've read Isaac's Storm.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too "talk with my hands." I think I even missed out on a final level job interview because of it; one of the interviewers was side-eyeing my hands. I think I managed to stop after that, but it was too late. It's part of the thought processing process.

Yep.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

But I thought the official name of the book was “1001 Arabian Nights”? I was surprised when the abbreviated version was accepted.

Various translations use various titles.  The Galland translation's title was Les Mille et Une Nuits, which is The Thousand and One Nights in English; the reference to it being Arabian tales is in the subtitle.  Jeopardy's judges apparently decided to give the contestants some leeway on the title.

12 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I got FJ instantly, but wavered on whether the name was “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Arabian Nights.” I finally decided my answer was “1001 Arabian Nights.” Reading on Wikipedia now, it looks like it’s known as either “Arabian Nights” or “1001 Nights” so I guess I’d probably have been ruled incorrect.

I did some wavering as well but went with Arabian Nights.  I'm counting that as correct.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Yeah, my thought was "I hope all those people who claim that Ken is so much more respectful to the contestants than Mayim is are listening to this absolutely cringe-inducing little stand-up routine."

I thought is was vaguely amusing and did not invalidate my opinion that Ken is more respectful to the contestants at all.  Mileage, as always, varies.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

He still knows an awful lot, I can practically see the sighs of relief from the contestants when Ken doesn't make the final.

Yep, I'd much rather go up against Muffy or Jonathan.  I've done pretty well against them while sitting on my couch.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did some wavering as well but went with Arabian Nights.  I'm counting that as correct.

I always liked Burton's title, the delightfully awkward "Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Yeah, my thought was "I hope all those people who claim that Ken is so much more respectful to the contestants than Mayim is are listening to this absolutely cringe-inducing little stand-up routine."

Whereas I found his cringe-inducing little stand-up routine the highlight/best part of yesterday's episode. Obviously, YMMV, and it does.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Happy to have gotten three FJs in a row, going back to last week!

And I would never dare ask this on Twitter or Reddit, because I'm sure I'd get ripped to shreds, but since I feel like I'm among friends here...is the champion sometimes not wearing a bra?  As someone who would probably be arrested for indecent exposure if I ever dared leave my house without one, lol, it's just one of those things I can't help but notice.

She either needs to wear a bra or needs a better one. It was extremely noticeable yesterday because she wasn’t wearing a jacket or cardigan as she had in her other games. Still noticeable then, but not as obvious. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I want Mattea to annihilate them both.  Couldn't stand either one.

Whereas I want Amy to annihilate the other two. Didn't like either, really liked Amy.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Whereas I want Amy to annihilate the other two. Didn't like either, really liked Amy.

I liked both Matt & Amy a lot. Would love to see them go head to head but I don't know if I can root for one over the other.

• Love 8

Very consistent game tonight: 77% / 77% / 77%

J!: Not too bad...Ran Indian Food (which I don't eat…), missed one Nonfiction TV, Rhyme Time, and I See You There, and two each in the others.

DJ: Ran April Fools and Policing, missed one Religion and ICU, two Movie Cast, and three Literary Creators.

FJ: I got it! An absolute guess, because it was the only one I could think of that had a French name (and then I thought of white teeth and elephants and ivory so it seemed a likely option).

TS: lava tube (I suspect having the word "tube" in the clue itself threw them off; I thought I was wrong because of that but I couldn't think of what else it could be), amicus brief (DD), synagogue, Dominican (with a huge question mark at the end but I didn't think it was Jesuit and it was the only other order I could think of), and Children's Crusade.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of sleuth truth, Endeavor, and Children's crusade.

I got the entire category of Indian food wrong and the entire categories of Punishment and April Fool's right.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

I managed to figure out "teeth" in French, but couldn't connect that to the name of any country, so no FJ for me tonight.  It made perfect sense when Ken explained it, though.

And I only got the TS of lava tube, amicus, synagogue, and Children's Crusade.

• Love 8

I was pleased that I got most of April Fools right...and also most of the Policing one right....I was also proud of myself for yelling "AMICUS"...a hundred times during the Daily Double. All those Good Fight/ How To Get Away With Murder/Law and Order episodes really paid off!!!!!!

FJ...completely missed it but I consider it a victory if I have to yell a CORRECT answer at the TV at least once...

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Amy's my favorite player this year. She's living her best life right now I saw on Twitter that Amy was at the Golden State Warriors game last night. Do they seed the players  for  the Tournament of Champions or is it a random draw? I'm sure Jeopardy wants Amy and Matt in the finals.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Well, I both missed the two places where it was a country that they were looking for, AND once again failed at having any concept of how large the area was (tell me anything in square miles and I just cannot grasp it, and I am not that much better with square kilometres). I said Sahara and assumed I just didn't know the "dente" connection.

Never would have got to Cote d'Ivoire from that, though.

• Love 7

That's the second time in the past few weeks there has been a clue about the food I'll be making for dinner after the game -- this time it was vindaloo (before it was chicken cordon bleu).

I enjoyed the rhyme time category as always, particularly "rowdy howdy". 

The synagogue TS surprised me.

I came so close to running the first round, but I missed two in possessive.  In DJ, I was terrible in the lit category, missing all but one.  Same with religion.  If I could have swapped those out for better categories, I'd have had a good round -- other than those, I only missed two, in movies.

FJ took some thinking, but I got to it in plenty of time.

• Love 6

A middling knowledge of French vocabulary has helped me a great deal lately, but not today. I was trying so hard to think of a country/ regional name containing “dent” that I never thought to think of the material that teeth or tusks can be made of, which would have gotten me there.

Bra/ no bra is a non-issue, IMO. It’s a personal choice, and I am not bothered by the sight of flopping breasts. (Hands, however….😉)

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

I noticed... I think Mattea has a tattoo on her arm. Does anyone have a good enough tv and/or sharp enough eyes to see what it is?

I knew how to say teeth in French but did not even come close to making the leap to ivory. 

• Love 4

"It's time to put you all in jeopardy."  Like Art Fleming and, in some of his early shows, Alex used to say.  That was a fun moment!

I know many find "kids say the darnedest things" funnier than I do.  I still thought "when I was younger, I wanted to be a musician because I thought it'd be an easy way to get money and women" was goofy and trite.  You had one shot to be on Jeopardy and tell the world something of yourself and you picked that?  I just wan't vibing with him.

People on Reddit, having been spotted "an area labeled with the French word for teeth," knew that word was "dents" and guessed Sudan in FJ, supposing it could have been a corruption of "Sud Dents," "sud" meaning south.  Like "Dessert Stories" yesterday, I think that's pretty clever.  The detail about size today didn't help me much, but I did get the right answer.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's the second time in the past few weeks there has been a clue about the food I'll be making for dinner after the game -- this time it was vindaloo (before it was chicken cordon bleu).

It's all going on in your house.  Delicious!

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed... I think Mattea has a tattoo on her arm. Does anyone have a good enough tv and/or sharp enough eyes to see what it is?

I have neither, but I've read elsewhere that it's a scorpion.  I can just about make that out with prompting.  I know she mentioned on Twitter that her earrings have her astrological symbol, Scorpio, so it makes sense.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Bra/ no bra is a non-issue, IMO. It’s a personal choice, and I am not bothered by the sight of flopping breasts. (Hands, however….😉)

The common bra is only a 20th century invention, anyway. I never understood why it was so important to wear one. They are uncomfortable as hell. I rarely wear one anymore (since lockdown) and I don't care what other people think.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Only two ts's last night, sleuth truth and Children's Crusade.

I knew dent is the French word for tooth but it did not lead me to Cote d'Ivoire.  I am embarrassed that I did not figure it out.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Trey said:

Only two ts's last night, sleuth truth and Children's Crusade.

I knew dent is the French word for tooth but it did not lead me to Cote d'Ivoire.  I am embarrassed that I did not figure it out.

I did get Children's Crusade along with Peter's Pence. For some reason 'tooth' made me think of mountains so I was trying to come up with a country near the Atlas mts. 🌄🤷‍♀️😜

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

For some reason 'tooth' made me think of mountains

Funny you say that because I immediately and confidently said Ivory Coast, then at the end, I was thinking switch to Sierra Leone?  No.  Because, yeah, for a second I thought mountains, also.

• Love 4

I just watched a compilation of clips on a Facebook Jeopardy! post mainly from Mattea’s interviews, and she sure does talk with her hands a lot! I’m usually multitasking while watching (preparing and/or eating dinner) so I hadn’t seen that much of her talking with her hands before.

Edited by zoey1996
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

TS: lava tube (I suspect having the word "tube" in the clue itself threw them off;

Yeah, that was why I didn't get it.  I did get Children's Crusade and synagogue (because Prague is famous for its Jewish quarter and old Jewish cemetery).  I was trying to come up with amicus brief but we don't get a lot of those in our court and thus the name just wouldn't surface in my brain.

13 hours ago, blueray said:

FJ I went with Senegal which was at least the correct part of the continent...

I pre-called The Gambia, just because I'm amused by it using the "The" when Ukraine no longer does.  I definitely forget to drop the "The" with Ukraine all the time.

I didn't get FJ, partly because I misunderstood the clue and was trying to come up with the old name and partly because I had no idea that Ivory Coast had ever been called something involving the French word for teeth.  If I'd realized the clue wanted the current name, I might've come up with Ivory Coast because it was a French territory and is often referred to by the French name (Cote d'Ivoire) in international soccer circles but probably not.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got vindaloo from watching Red Dwarf.  Even if I'd ever been able to handle to heat of that particular dish, I would never eat it now after the Vindaloo Monster episode.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Same with religion. 

I did better in that category than I expected, missing only Dominican.  Probably because I'm really good at 13th history.

8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

You had one shot to be on Jeopardy and tell the world something of yourself and you picked that?

I don't know about now, but when I was on the show, contestants filled out a card with 5 story possibilities and Alex chose which one he wanted to use.  I probably would've told the story about thinking some friends and I were being kidnapped in Crete over singing songs to my cats but obviously he wanted to hear the cat thing.  Alex clearly loved animal stories.  At least mine didn't make me a puppy abandoner.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The common bra is only a 20th century invention, anyway. I never understood why it was so important to wear one. They are uncomfortable as hell. I rarely wear one anymore (since lockdown) and I don't care what other people think.

I've found that a good bra is essential to my feeling comfortable and hate going braless, but I honestly don't care what other women do.  So if Mattea's comfortable with or without one, it makes no nevermind to me.  I do find the tattoo interesting, though.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I got vindaloo from watching Red Dwarf.  Even if I'd ever been able to handle to heat of that particular dish, I would never eat it now after the Vindaloo Monster episode.

You just went up in my estimation 🤣

I'm currently re-watching the Blackadder series and Red Dwarf is next on my list to re-watch.

If anyone thinks of watching  Blackadder the first season is the worst & can be hard to get through in places but it gets so much better from Blackadder II onwards.

Current Hugh Laurie fans from House etc. could be quite shocked to see him in this.

This is the sort of stuff that brings back fond memories for me.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

If anyone thinks of watching  Blackadder the first season is the worst & can be hard to get through in places but it gets so much better from Blackadder II onwards.

Current Hugh Laurie fans from House etc. could be quite shocked to see him in this.

I find all the seasons have plusses and minuses, but definitely prefer the third season because of Hugh Laurie.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:50 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

And taking an hour to explain her wager, then saying 'I should have wagered more'

No shit, Sherlock.  You bet a small amount then got the answer correct.  Brilliant commentary.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, TaraS1 said:

As someone who would probably be arrested for indecent exposure if I ever dared leave my house without one, lol, it's just one of those things I can't help but notice.

Not sure about the bra, but Canadian media is starting to notice her and there was a picture of her standing beside Mayim.  If you think Mayim is a bad dresser, you ain't seen nothing yet.

image.png.1e4891a39922f0fdd019e5a0661c0492.png

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

It's not the flapping or waving it's the limp wrists that annoy me. It's like her wrists are boneless.

I rarely comment on the contestants and when I do, it's usually because they shout. So the limp wrists really irk me.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

No shit, Sherlock.  You bet a small amount then got the answer correct.  Brilliant commentary.

Not sure about the bra, but Canadian media is starting to notice her and there was a picture of her standing beside Mayim.  If you think Mayim is a bad dresser, you ain't seen nothing yet.

image.png.1e4891a39922f0fdd019e5a0661c0492.png

With that style of clothing, no wonder she knows so much about the 1800s

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I find all the seasons have plusses and minuses, but definitely prefer the third season because of Hugh Laurie.

The Blackadder series finale was the best series finale in the history of tv.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

a good bra is essential to my feeling comfortable and hate going braless, but I honestly don't care what other women do. 

Seconded. 

For FJ I got stuck on trying to figure out African countries that France had colonized,  but didn't get to Cote d'Ivoire

• Love 2

When was the last time we had a one-person final?

Ran Swolemates and Scientist Who…; missed one each in Beach Bay "B", Theatrical Happenings, European Lit, and Not Too "Sex"y for You. Did not get FJ.

My TSes were Rubber Chicken, Meals Ready to Eat, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Middlesex County (New Jersey also has one and I work in it, so if it's a county with the letters "s-e-x" in it, that's the first thing that comes to mind), and Blaise Pascal.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

I said TikTok, because I had no clue.

I got the missed clues of Buzzards Bay, Jesse L Martin, meals ready to eat, Culloden, and Pascale.

I got the entire category of beaches right.

• Love 1

Par for the course this week, I couldn't think of FJ.  I knew what they were going for, but I just couldn't come up with the name.  Boo hiss.

The only TS I got were Buzzard's, meals ready to eat, Culloden, and gourami.  

I always feel bad for those who don't get to play FJ.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Do they seed the players  for  the Tournament of Champions or is it a random draw?

The former. In addition to making it possible for the biggest regular-season winners to meet up in the final, the producers seek to avoid matchups of players who have already played against each other for as long as possible. Emma and James weren't in the same quarterfinal or semifinal, for example. The producers also keep any same-named players separate for as long as possible, for obvious reasons.

Edited by dcalley
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3