Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

"Jackie Gleason" gave me a good chuckle, not that I knew the correct answer.  I know of Jackie Mason from noodling around reading about entertainers, but he looked older and less well in the photo in my mind, so I couldn't make the connection.

"It's the fear of heights" laid out vertically was a nice subtle joke.  And "Whose Line..." was one of my father's favorites.  I remember asking him what he was watching one day, and when he responded with the title, I thought he was telling me to mind my own business!

I thought about southern civil rights protests, then got briefly hung up on Minsky's because of the word "raid" and the mention of dancing, but I got a hold of myself and came up with Stonewall fairly easily.  I wonder what event at Central State U Christian was thinking of.

Sorry to see Jackie go, although I'm not a fan of starting at the bottom of the boards.  I didn't mind her relatively flat affect, and assumed she just wasn't someone used to being in the spotlight.  It made her seem a bit like an underdog to me.  Maybe we'll see her again.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

Ran Verbs in book titles, almost ran TV until they threw that Buffy clue in there. I could picture the character and knew it wasn't Angel, but I didn't watch Buffy so I couldn't come up with the name.

How many of us pre-guessed Betty White for the In Memoriam 2021 category? (Of course, they didn't want her name and I couldn't get Ed Asner out of my brain in time.)

My TSes were Manitoba, Jackie Mason, Boston College, Blue Danube, and (The Sun Also) Rises.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 1

Here, by the way, is a great recording of Strauss' "Blue Danube."  Its original title translates to "By the Beautiful Blue Danube."  This has been a favorite of mine for years.  It often comes up in videos like "25 songs you've heard but can't name."  That could be a fun audio category sometime!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

"Jackie Gleason" gave me a good chuckle, not that I knew the correct answer.  I know of Jackie Mason from noodling around reading about entertainers, but he looked older and less well in the photo in my mind, so I couldn't make the connection.

"It's the fear of heights" laid out vertically was a nice subtle joke.  And "Whose Line..." was one of my father's favorites.  I remember asking him what he was watching one day, and when he responded with the title, I thought he was telling me to mind my own business!

I thought about southern civil rights protests, then got briefly hung up on Minsky's because of the word "raid" and the mention of dancing, but I got a hold of myself and came up with Stonewall fairly easily.  I wonder what event at Central State U Christian was thinking of.

Sorry to see Jackie go, although I'm not a fan of starting at the bottom of the boards.  I didn't mind her relatively flat affect, and assumed she just wasn't someone used to being in the spotlight.  It made her seem a bit like an underdog to me.  Maybe we'll see her again.

Thank you!!! Was going to say I was going to tune out until she was gone....won't have to hear her say "for a thosint" again

I also said Radio CityMusic Hall.  I didn't really think it was right, but I also didn't think Woodstock or Kent State were estabishments and I had nothing else.

I got the missed clues of Blue Danube (but after Danube, so kinda lame), A&M, Manitoba and grouse.

When the first daily double came up, I had not gotten a single solitary question right yet.  I ended up rallying and didn't lose too much during the firt round and ended up doing fairly well in the second.

• Love 2

FJ was on the tip of my tongue, but it just wouldn't quite come to me in time.  

I was able to come up with the TS of Jackie Mason, Blue Danube, Boston College, rises, and grouse.

33 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

How many of us pre-guessed Betty White for the In Memoriam 2021 category? (Of course, they didn't want her name and I couldn't get Ed Asner out of my brain in time.)

I confidently said, "Lou Grant!"  I suspect they wouldn't have accepted that.

• LOL 4
12 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I thought Final was way too easy and was stunned that two of the three got it wrong.

Yeah, that really surprised me that only one person got it right. I was in middle school at the time and not aware of it when it happened but only learned of it later in life. I guess as a New Yorker, it's something that sticks with you. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Yeah, that really surprised me that only one person got it right. I was in middle school at the time and not aware of it when it happened but only learned of it later in life. I guess as a New Yorker, it's something that sticks with you. 

I wasn't even born yet...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

All I saw of the FJ clue was "1969" "establishment" "raid" and "protesters" and came up with Stonewall. Then read the clue more thoroughly, decided it was still correct, and then spent the rest of the time wondering if it could really be Stonewall since wasn't that a clue/answer very recently (in the last week or two)?

At any rate, I did think it was very easy and I am wondering what about the clue tripped up the other two contestants, since I am assuming they are at least superficially familiar with Stonewall.

• Love 2

I knew Stonewall, but was surprised Jeopardy knew it. I think of it as niche info, since the only other people I've met know who know about it are LGBTQ folks like myself, and mostly only the ones of my generation or older. The younguns take their rights more for granted to a much greater degree, and are not as often interested in history or cultural monuments, at least in my experience.

I was happy it got featured, and that they gave it a generic historical category, instead of marking it the way they mark anything related to women, like "women authors" rather than "authors".

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I knew Stonewall, but was surprised Jeopardy knew it. I think of it as niche info, since the only other people I've met know who know about it are LGBTQ folks like myself, and mostly only the ones of my generation or older. The younguns take their rights more for granted to a much greater degree, and are not as often interested in history or cultural monuments, at least in my experience.

I was happy it got featured, and that they gave it a generic historical category, instead of marking it the way they mark anything related to women, like "women authors" rather than "authors".

Maybe not as niche as you think. I knew it and I’m from the Deep South, born a few years after the raid, and not LGBTQ. 

• Love 10

I knew the Stonewall Inn because there was a lot of publicity around the 50th anniversary  of the riots in 2019. I was surprised the guy from Brooklyn didn't know it, but I was amused by the picture of Rockettes at Radio City protesting with high kicks in perfect sync. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I'm bummed Jackie didn't hit the five wins mark.

I didn't think any of the TS were stunners, but I was surprised only one contestant got FJ.

I ran businesses, A to A, and colleges in the first round, but missed two composers and one each in maps and 2021 deaths (I couldn't remember Jessica Walter's name to save my own life).

I was on fire in DJ, though!  I ran everything but streets, in which I missed two, and gilded age, in which I got all but one (the Twain clue stumped me, too, and then I wanted to smack myself when it was revealed).

And FJ was an instaget, so that's four in a row; we'll see if I can sweep the week, but it's just as likely tomorrow night's will be one of those FJ clues for which I don't even have a guess.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Sorry to see Jackie go, although I'm not a fan of starting at the bottom of the boards.  I didn't mind her relatively flat affect, and assumed she just wasn't someone used to being in the spotlight. 

Heh. At least I’m not the only one who went to the weird Minsky’s well. I, too, climbed out, but didn’t make it over to Stonewall in time— even though it should have been a quick and easy trip. (I was also mystified by Christian, but not just in FJ. He had some odd answers throughout.)

I will miss Jackie, too. On a shallow note, I was among those who enjoyed her fashion choices. I coveted that striped top. But on a deeper level, I really liked her gutsy gameplay. Big bets are very rare among female contestants, so I appreciate it whenever I can get it.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I still can't access the main page, but if I go directly to the current season page (or an individual episode's page), it loads just fine.  Try that.

Sadly no joy. Oh well. Oh hey, it's coming up on my phone - YAY!

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I had to struggle to get in out of my head and into my mouth.  But other than that, it was well known to me, at least once I reached my 20's (I'm probably close to your age). My LGBTQ offspring in their 20s and 30s are also very familiar with it - so it's not all the younguns, which should give you some hope.

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

ezgif-1-a003f0c3df.gif

I love her, loved her well before her older roles, and couldn't spit it out. Sigh.

It wasn't a particularly remarkable game for me, though I did okay, and I got FJ.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I will miss Jackie, too. On a shallow note, I was among those who enjoyed her fashion choices. I coveted that striped top. But on a deeper level, I really liked her gutsy gameplay. Big bets are very rare among female contestants, so I appreciate it whenever I can get it.

Joining you at the shallow table. I loved everything she wore, especially the black dress & the tan sweater with the braided collar. And agree with her gameplay. Going across the board isn’t my favorite, but I loved her knowledge and confidence. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

And "Whose Line..." was one of my father's favorites.

I prefer the British original, but the US version is fun, too.  And the live shows are hysterical.

My local station broke in with a weather alert halfway through DJ, fortunately the archive was working for me so I finished it that way.

First round was spotty for me, but I did well in DJ.  And FJ was an instaget since the date plus raid plus Rockette-style kicking (which screamed gay to me, in a good way) lead me to the Stonewall Inn right away.

17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Its original title translates to "By the Beautiful Blue Danube."

I outsmarted myself--answered "On the Beautiful Blue Danube", which, after seeing the actual title, I hope would have been ruled incorrect.  I find myself doing that a lot--I'll try to answer with an exact although rarely used original title, or go for an answer in an original language, and usually end up shooting myself in the foot.  Hopefully if I were ever on the show, I'd have the good sense to not be a smart-ass and go for the easy points.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, mertensia said:

Stonewall was an instaget for me.

I knew it but couldn't get the word out in time. 😞

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was also mystified by Christian, but not just in FJ. He had some odd answers throughout.

I thought he was trying to get to Kent State but couldn't come up with the name (not that it would have helped)

4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I will miss Jackie, too. On a shallow note, I was among those who enjoyed her fashion choices. I coveted that striped top.

I liked most of her fashion choices and did like the striped top but I felt her posture was making it look wrinkled, she was probably using the posture that helped her in pressing her buzzer so I don't fault her but 🤷‍♀️ (I just saw an old MasterMinds show where Ken came out of a sound proof booth looking very wrinkly, it was so odd after seeing him so put together on Jeopardy)

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I knew stonewall but didn't know if it was a bar, inn, restaurant, whatever type of establishment. 

I wonder whether Stonewall alone would have been accepted.  I think it probably should have been.  I've read a bit about it and I'm fairly certain it was contemporaneously called just "the Stonewall" by many of its patrons.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I outsmarted myself--answered "On the Beautiful Blue Danube", which, after seeing the actual title, I hope would have been ruled incorrect.  I find myself doing that a lot--I'll try to answer with an exact although rarely used original title, or go for an answer in an original language, and usually end up shooting myself in the foot.  Hopefully if I were ever on the show, I'd have the good sense to not be a smart-ass and go for the easy points.

I do the same thing regularly.  On this occasion, I think you would have been OK.  I found sheet music with "On" rather than "By" going back to 1868, and a music researcher friend's database shows its US copyright registration has "On."

I think it was Strauss' Opus 314 - that might be the safest bet, but it's tough to remember.

• Love 3

Like a couple others have mentioned I immediately knew "Stonewall" but had no clue if it was called the Stonewall Inn/Bar/Restaurant/Tavern etc.

Does anyone know for sure if "Stonewall" would have been acceptable?

(edited)
9 hours ago, faithie said:

Does anyone know for sure if "Stonewall" would have been acceptable?

Probably? Possibly? Maybe?
Wikipedia's entry for Stonewall Inn currently begins:

• The Stonewall Inn, often shortened to Stonewall, is a gay bar and recreational tavern in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Lower Manhattan, New York City, and the site of the Stonewall riots of 1969, which is widely considered to be the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for LGBT rights in the United States.[2]

But the "[2]" footnote link to nps.gov is broken, and the NPS's new page for Stonewall does not explicitly say "often shortened to Stonewall."

I watched the PBS documentary about Stonewall not that long ago, but the name was just beyond the reach of my over-tired conscious mind with the FJ music playing. 

About the j-archive issues: I seemingly lucked out in that my internet service provider was down for about 6 hours around the same time, which probably did its own cache clearing, I guess? (I don't have any computer network people to chat with over the watercooler these days.)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

The Ringling Museum in Sarasota is well worth a visit. In addition to the mansion shown in the clue, they have a nice circus collection and a large generalized art museum, among other things.  Another favorite bit of history came up with the Pierce-Arrow, which is the car the Gilbreths drove in "Cheaper by the Dozen." I don't remember how I came across it but I absolutely loved that book!

The state portmanteau category was clunky, but "safar-arizona" seemed like it should just have been wrong, on a show that splits hairs between Barry and Berry.  Re "Hearst Castle," I assume there was a stopdown to determine whether it was in time or not, and the judge then decided it wouldn't be fair to let someone else ring in?  Both those moments seemed sloppy. 

I liked Nell.  She reminded me of a less manic Zooey Deschanel.  I wonder why she didn't wager just a little more on that last DD, but in the end it didn't matter.  I reckon she could go quite far.

• Love 11
(edited)

First round had only one TS (plus the missed DD). (I didn't get either of them.) Did pretty well...ran Internet, missed two in History and one in everything else.

Second round not so great…ran nothing but only missed one Historic Name, Books & Authors, Periodic Table, and Stately Overlap, and two Acting Presidents; missed three hood ornaments. Got the TSes of radiator, Dr. Doolittle, and copper.

No FJ. Score: 80% / 67% / 74%

Nell said "safar-arizona" in that overlap, not "safarizona" (which is what's written in the archive). I was expecting them to take it away before FJ but I guess I shouldn't expect these things anymore.

I liked her, though. She's quick.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

I got FJ right.

I got the missed clues of South Pacific, Dr Doolittle, and copper.

I got the entire categories of internet and historic homes right and the entire category of birth month wrong.

46 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Re "Hearst Castle," I assume there was a stopdown to determine whether it was in time or not, and the judge then decided it wouldn't be fair to let someone else ring in?  Both those moments seemed sloppy. 

That was weird.  Don't we normally hear a buzzer when time's up?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That was weird.  Don't we normally hear a buzzer when time's up?

The show was paused for the judges to discuss whether the answer was given after or before time. Because of the (edited out) delay, the other players could not be given a chance to answer. The answer we saw might have been a retape after the judges ruled.

• Useful 7

I laughed so hard at the "Cark" coffee cup clue (I'd never heard that story), I could barely spit out my answer to the next one.

"That doesn't sound right" about "safariarizona".  Amen, Nell, because it wasn't.  But I don't blame her.  The correct response of "safarizona" makes sense in writing, but the "ari" in safari vs the "ari" in Arizona isn't one of those regional pronunciation issues, they just plain do not match.  Same with "koalabama".  Both of those only worked as overlaps in writing, not in speaking. 

The radiator TS stunned me, but it shouldn't; J! contestants consistently know very little about what's under the hoods of their cars.  Dr. Doolittle surprised me a bit (I missed that one, too).

I missed one each in circular and madjectives, but got everything else in the first round.

It was not my board in DJ, though.  I only ran stately overlaps (loved that category, despite the issues noted above).  I got all but one in presidents and homes, but missed two each in periodic table and hood ornaments and missed all but one in books.

My instaget streak for this week's FJ clues remains intact, though!  That was exciting; it's not common for me to get all five FJs in a week, and I'm not sure I've ever previously had all five of them be instagets at that.

• Love 6

That state compound word category was just bad.  

She won but really messed up on her second daily double bet at the end.  She bet to get exactly twice as much as the #2 player should have at least bet $1 more so she was not be able to be caught or even ideally an extra $401, there was one $200 clue left and that way she has over double his no matter what.  If she missed it an extra $401 less was no difference, could up for in FJ. 

Luckily didn't matter.  

• Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sadly no joy. Oh well. Oh hey, it's coming up on my phone - YAY!

Try doing a search for “Jeopardy archive season 38” and then clicking on the link. That worked for me. If you are trying to access from a prior bookmark, or even partially typing in the name and hitting “Enter” or “Go” when the rest of the name autofills, you are likely being routed to a link that no longer works. (This was also happening to me.) To get rid of this old, broken link, you probably need to clear your cache. (Something I’m not willing to do until I can figure out how to do it selectively in Safari, because I don’t want to lose everything.)

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

I got tripped up by the Dutch mention and settled on South Africa for FJ, after debating between there and NZ - I wasn't aware of a Dutch connection to NZ.

New Zealand is named after the Dutch province of Zeeland.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

New Zealand is named after the Dutch province of Zeeland.

I went to the Caribbean and then to Indonesia for FJ.  I should have remembered another one of my favourite songs from my Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem album, The Dutchman, written by Michael Peter Smith.

Let us go to the banks of the ocean Where the walls rise above the Zuider Zee Long ago, I used to be a young man And dear Margaret remembers that for me

I had never heard of the Stonewall Inn and raids there. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
(edited)

I had a fairly good night. I ran the birth month flowers and the periodic table. I seemed to do well all week until it came to FJ. My TSs were South Pacific, copper, and radiator. I continued my losing streak with FJ. 

Even my daughter has noticed my love of the periodic table. 

7DD2FD10-1E54-4E32-9086-A49D8AA58494.thumb.jpeg.61226dc4d9fe94f15378021b9866d749.jpeg

Edited by Mindthinkr
I added a comment and picture.
  • Love 19
(edited)
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I liked Nell.  She reminded me of a less manic Zooey Deschanel.  I wonder why she didn't wager just a little more on that last DD, but in the end it didn't matter.  I reckon she could go quite far.

That's exactly who I thought of. She did play a heck of a game.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I laughed so hard at the "Cark" coffee cup clue (I'd never heard that story), I could barely spit out my answer to the next one.

"That doesn't sound right" about "safariarizona".  Amen, Nell, because it wasn't.  But I don't blame her.  The correct response of "safarizona" makes sense in writing, but the "ari" in safari vs the "ari" in Arizona isn't one of those regional pronunciation issues, they just plain do not match.  Same with "koalabama".  Both of those only worked as overlaps in writing, not in speaking.

The "cark" story was on my Facebook feed just this week, so I got it instantly. Though, it might be the first time ever I got a Jeopardy answer from Facebook.

I was also going to say that the category works fine on paper, but not so much out loud. Then again, I'm not fond of this kind of question - but still, I usually know where to break the portmanteau even if I don't get it.

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Try doing a search for “Jeopardy archive season 38” and then clicking on the link. That worked for me. If you are trying to access from a prior bookmark, or even partially typing in the name and hitting “Enter” or “Go” when the rest of the name autofills, you are likely being routed to a link that no longer works. (This was also happening to me.) To get rid of this old, broken link, you probably need to clear your cache. (Something I’m not willing to do until I can figure out how to do it selectively in Safari, because I don’t want to lose everything.)

I did clear my cache, but I do have a bookmark to it. I deleted the bookmark and will have to clear the cache again. I hope that works, because although I can get it on my phone (after having reset Chrome for a different reason), it's teeny tiny.

I was tired last night and didn't do well. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The "cark" story was on my Facebook feed just this week, so I got it instantly. Though, it might be the first time ever I got a Jeopardy answer from Facebook.

I've had this photo since October 2017. I consider it old news.

mark.jpg.f8be11a75059e54ccb8f94a31d2f0cd4.jpg

• Love 5
On 3/31/2022 at 4:22 PM, 853fisher said:

I thought about southern civil rights protests, then got briefly hung up on Minsky's because of the word "raid" and the mention of dancing, but I got a hold of myself and came up with Stonewall fairly easily. 

I came up with Stonewall instantly--was surprised two contestants missed it.  If "Inn" was required as part of the answer (we'll never know), I would have missed it.  I think only "Stonewall," and never "Stonewall Inn."

On 3/31/2022 at 4:22 PM, 853fisher said:

I wonder what event at Central State U Christian was thinking of.

At first I thought it was a funny shout-out to his university...but he looked so serious.  What about Rockettes does he associate with CSUC ??   And the OTHER champion/contestant associated ONLY Rockettes with her question.

• Love 1