Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Does Amy have a "weak" subject or gap in her knowledge that anyone has noticed? (I don't think I've seen all of her 19 games.) She seems unbeatable to me.

I read an interview with Amy and she said that she read Classical Music and Opera for Dummies before trying oot for Jeopardy.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Shoot kind of surprised me, but I suspect they were trying to figure out the category, since it was the first clue.

I said twig.  I didn't really understand the category until after that clue.  But, apparently understanding didn't help.  I only got the $400 in that category.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said twig.  I didn't really understand the category until after that clue.  But, apparently understanding didn't help.  I only got the $400 in that category.

I said twig too. I sorta understood what the point of the category was so I didn’t think it was right but I wasn’t quick enough to think of anything else… then I only got one in the rest of it.

Tonight's game was enjoyable... 3 intelligent women without any vocal fry or swaying!

Since when is tartar sauce a(n allowable?) swear phrase? Or, perhaps I wasn't paying full attention - very much my tv-watching state these days. I got the others in that category. (I swear a lot, especially lately, except I usually use the censored versions.)

Go Amy!

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Since when is tartar sauce a(n allowable?) swear phrase?

I got that one based on creamy condiment + seafood, but I know nothing about SpongeBob SquarePants other than it exists, so I had to look up what the "channel SpongeBob" reference was to - it's a swear in that show's universe.

That made me wish they'd used one of the faux swears from The Good Place as a clue.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got shoot and Machine Gun Kelly. The latter from the magazines on the shopping check out isle from when he was dating Meagan Fox. 

He was on the Daily Show or Late Night or something sometime in the last several months so I knew his face but even with the initials I only got it at the last second. 

• Love 2

I knew FJ sort of. It was the first play that came to mind, so I stuck to it. When I was in high school, two drama students performed it in assembly after they’d won a first at the state high school drama meet, and it stayed with me.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, possibilities said:

That play is one of my favorites, and it was my first instinct for FJ, but for some reason I doubted myself and decided I had no idea.  

I've been in and seen performances in both languages, but also missed it!

• Love 1

There is really something about the way one or another contestant can pull ahead in the first 5 or 10 clues, then all of a sudden Amy seems to fire up an additional cylinder. It will be interesting to see what eventually leads to her defeat. I can’t particularly identify a weakness myself.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got shoot and Machine Gun Kelly. The latter from the magazines on the shopping check out isle from when he was dating Meagan Fox. 

I've only been in the self-check aisle since the pandemic - they don't have magazines there in my store. Nevertheless. I've seen pictures of the two of them. I did not recognize him because I couldn't see his face in the one photo I remember - a profile shot where he and Megan are tonguing each other, and his tats are prominent. Ugh.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

FJ = I said Ionesco's "Rhinoceros."

I watched a streaming show about putting on WFG in London, starring Patrick Stewart and Simon Callow. Throughout all six episodes, they pronounced it GOD-ot.

I wish my Trans-G Niece would take some fashion tips from Amy.

Rhinoceros is a good guess. I got it because I thought "well, I don't have the foggiest idea of what Waiting for Godot is about, so that's my guess." (I have never seen it, nor read it, so I am completely ignorant - it's just the sense I had of it from hearing other people talk about it.)

I almost ran two categories - Business Names and the 4th Century. I didn't believe I would get anything in the fourth century, so it was a nice surprise.

I thought Amy's outfit was particularly nice. That neckline suits her.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I watched a streaming show about putting on WFG in London, starring Patrick Stewart and Simon Callow. Throughout all six episodes, they pronounced it GOD-ot.

That is actually supposed to be the correct pronunciation and is how it was said when I saw Bill Irwin & Nathan Lane perform the play on Broadway, but Americans tend to use the “guh-DOH” pronunciation. It’s become one of those words (like forte. It’s “fort” not “for-tay”) where saying it right actually makes people think you are saying it wrong.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, Driad said:

That's a good article, though limiting the list to 5 meant that they omitted "golly," "gosh," and "gee whiz" to avoid saying God or Jesus as a swear word. Also "fudge," immortalized in A Christmas Story. When I was a kid I read a comic book  series called "Sugar and Spike." The title characters were a couple of babies who talked their own language to each other, although it just sounded like baby-talk noises to their parents. They said "banana mush" for "bullshit."

I'm interested to see if Amy will top Ken in number of wins, although just as with Matt I'm getting tired of the runaways. At least she doesn't play all the high dollar clues first.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm interested to see if Amy will top Ken in number of wins, although just as with Matt I'm getting tired of the runaways. At least she doesn't play all the high dollar clues first.

As long time winners go Amy has annoyed me the least. I have really wished for some of them to lose because of their mannerisms or gameplay strategies. She doesn’t jump all over the board, she uses “who’s” for a person, and just calmly plays the game without swaying from side to side, shaking the buzzer and/or continuously clicking it audibly. I’m half afraid to see who will eventually (someday) replace her so I’m enjoying her run while I can!

I’m also not in any hurry to see Mayim back either. She’s okay and has improved from her “try-out”  but I really prefer Ken.

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

She doesn’t jump all over the board,

It bugs me so much now when she starts at the top, someone else gets it, and then they go to the bottom of the board.

14 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

I’m also not in any hurry to see Mayim back either. She’s okay and has improved from her “try-out”  but I really prefer Ken.

My sentiments exactly.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

That is actually supposed to be the correct pronunciation and is how it was said when I saw Bill Irwin & Nathan Lane perform the play on Broadway, but Americans tend to use the “guh-DOH” pronunciation. It’s become one of those words (like forte. It’s “fort” not “for-tay”) where saying it right actually makes people think you are saying it wrong.

I agree with forte, but I’m not so sure about Godot. There seems to be no clear consensus on the pronunciation. It makes sense that the Brits pronounce it that way, because they have a tendency to put the accent on the first syllable. (“MAUR-ice”, “GER-ard”, etc.) Whereas we Americans accentuate the second syllable on foreign words because it sounds fancy.

Since Beckett isn’t here to tell us, I would lean toward pronouncing it as the French would, with equal emphasis on both syllables: “go-do”.

• Love 1

Thank you, Ken, for pointing out the perfect round so I didn't have to check for TSes after round 1.

60% / 63% / 61%

Not surprisingly, I got zero teams. Also failed That's Bogus. But I ran Asian History, Book Titles, and Vitamins. Got 2/3 daily doubles and my only TS was David Copperfield. I did correctly guess that the Space Program categories would be the actual space program, as in NASA, and TV shows set in space. So that was fun.

• Love 2

I waffled back and forth between the Seine and the Arno while all the time thinking "that could be anything."  Unfortunately I landed on the Seine.

I got the TS of David Copperfield.  Another OK night until Final.  I really need to get a final right.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I recently finished the novel, "Still Life", by Sarah Winman, which was largely set in Florence, and covered that time period and the flood itself.  

The only TS I got was David Copperfield, and only after Oliver Twist was ruled incorrect.

And instead of Mardi Gras, I said Shrove Tuesday, which I assume would have been accepted as well.

• Love 9

@Clanstarling, did you get a facelift for Christmas? Very stylish.

Speaking of pronunciation, props to Ken for pronouncing "Culloden" correctly.

Not sure what it says about me that I said "Machine Gun Kelly" as soon as his photo was shown.  Didn't have to hear the clue.

So appreciating Ken. No death grip on the podium, no body twisting, no head tilting and mugging for the camera before every break. This is how a game-show host is suppose to be, Mayim.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Another archive game for me.

The David Copperfield TS surprised me, since the category spotted it had to be a two-word title and the clue gave the "magic" hint.

I came so close to running the entire first round again, but I didn't know potash.  In DJ, I only ran vitamins and bogus.  I missed all but Battlestar Galactica in the space shows, but otherwise did well, just missing one each in the remaining categories.

I didn't come up with FJ, though.  I figured with all that artwork it was probably in France or Italy and went with Italy, but picked the wrong river.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I waffled back and forth between the Seine and the Arno while all the time thinking "that could be anything."  Unfortunately I landed on the Seine.

My first thought was Italy but I didn’t come up with the city or the river. Then I thought Seine but I felt like it was too obvious. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Except that the Arno is in Florence.

Yeah, I was saying that I only know the name of a few rivers so I said the right river even though I was thinking Venice.  Right answer - wrong reasoning 

• Love 6

I've heard Godot pronounced with the emphasis on varied syllables, and have no argument with that. But I've never heard it rhyme with dot; the t should be silent, IMO! But who am I to argue with anyone, really? I'm not Beckett, so....

I did read that Beckett was adamantly opposed to allowing the play to be performed with female actors. There was a lawsuit with the estate, which overruled the objection, but if any women perform, there has to be an announcement at the beginning, saying Beckett objected.

Maybe I will argue with Beckett after all.

Edited by possibilities
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I agree with forte

I don’t. The word is derived from the Latin fortis, so I see no logical reason why the French pronunciation should supersede the Italian pronunciation (or vice versa) in determining how we should say it in English. In my mind, the “correct” way is at best arbitrary.

• Love 5

My husband immediately said Arno for FJ! while I confidently said Seine. He said I was influenced by our first trip to Paris in June of 2016 when the Seine was still flooded. The Musee d'orsay was closed because of the flooding.  I figured if it flooded that badly then, it probably happened before.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I immediately figured the clue was referring to Venice so said the Arno River.  Heh my limited knowledge of Italian Rivers paid off this time. 

That's okay, I caught your joke. Nicely done!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Aw, how nice - Amy saying Julia is one of her favorite champs.  She's one of mine, too.  As is Amy.

(My call got postponed, so I'm watching the game even though I'd already checked the archive, since, like with Julia, I enjoy watching Amy just quietly play and win.)

• Love 11

I knew FJ was referring to Italy, so I said the Tiber although I was not confident about it. I didn't get any TS's (there weren't many) besides David Copperfield. It was supposedly Dickens' most autobiographical novel, so it stands to reason it was his favorite.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Somehow I remembered that there was a massive flood in Florence in the 1960s. Unfortunately, I thought the river was the Po.

Pooh!

I said Po, too, but that's more about my limited knowledge of rivers that are in Italy.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, PBnJay said:

@Clanstarling, did you get a facelift for Christmas? Very stylish.

I know, right? I saw this picture of the Blue Eared Starling and thought - teal! That's my color! And became the pretty bird I always knew I was. 😆

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Yeah, I was saying that I only know the name of a few rivers so I said the right river even though I was thinking Venice.  Right answer - wrong reasoning 

I can't even count the number of times faulty reasoning got me to the right answer. And the right reasoning got me to the wrong answer. In this case I knew it was Florence (didn't know about the flood), but said Tiber.

13 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

I don’t. The word is derived from the Latin fortis, so I see no logical reason why the French pronunciation should supersede the Italian pronunciation (or vice versa) in determining how we should say it in English. In my mind, the “correct” way is at best arbitrary.

America has a lot of French influence since before the Revolution, so I expect that's  where our  pronunciation came from. I'd say its "correct" - but regional variances will also be correct. (which I guess is the very definition of arbitrary)

The boards weren't kind to me, but sometimes I'm on, and sometimes I'm off. I nearly ran the two word book titles, and the second Space Program. But other than that I only got the correct answers here and there. It infuriated me that I went blank on the first Space Program, which is an area I know a lot about but my mind was like the loading circle on a screen. Sigh...

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think the reference to magic in the Dickens clue was supposed to tip us off to the David Copperfield answer.

You're probably right, but I didn't think of the magician and thought they were looking for a story with supernatural aspects, so I would have said "A Christmas Carol."

• Love 6
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I think the reference to magic in the Dickens clue was supposed to tip us off to the David Copperfield answer.

And you could see the "light bulb" moment when Amy realized that after Ken gave the answer.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yeah, like I said, that being a TS surprised me due to the hint, when the category had already narrowed it down to two-word titles.  But, of course, it's a lot easier for me to pick up on hints sitting at home than it is for contestants standing there on the stage.

• Love 6