Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think Pam could have done really well if up against more typical contestants rather than Amy (or the string of multi-game champs we have had thus far). Pam spoke sooooooo quickly though - I feel like it would take some getting used to.

I also couldn't get Amnesty International out of my head until I really focused on the French wording, and then got to "sister cities" but I kept thinking that wasn't the right phrasing. Stuck with it though as it was all I could come up with.

I loved Amy's story about her pearl necklace.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Man, Pam was intense. I hope it was just nerves on her part. I don't think I could have watched more than one show with her.

This. Jeopardy is my wind down after work show. I don’t need to get MORE tense watching it. It’s too bad because she was a sharp player and good on the signaling device. But she came across as completely joyless. I hope she enjoyed playing more than it seemed.

• Love 21

Nice challenge by Pam; she actually got four more right than Amy and both only got one wrong - it was her game until Amy hit on and got right the Texas DD.  This was the first game of Amy's since her first that she didn't have a lock heading into FJ.  But, while I enjoyed the challenge, especially by another woman, I'm glad Amy emerged victorious; I'm enjoying her run.

(On a shallow note, I loved what Pam was wearing, both the color and the cut.)

"Chicken skin" for goose bumps cracked me up, and also taught me something after reading here; I had no idea that was an actual condition (I don't think Amy did, either, by her shrug - I think she was just trying to parse the clue, and "fowl" led her to chicken).

I got everything in the first round other than two each in sweet reads and movie characters, but in DJ I only ran science.  To the surprise of absolutely no one, I missed all but one in mythology.  I also nearly blew another weak subject, missing three in the civil war category.  Other than that, I missed two in TV, and one each in the other two.  (I would have run women, except I couldn't remember Katie Ledecky's last name in time [after initially thinking of Amanda Beard, so I was kind of doomed on that clue].)

I didn't get FJ; I've never heard of the organization, but once it was revealed I looked again at the category and "partner" in the German word and thought, "Well, that makes sense."  [Something] International had me thinking Heifer International and Amnesty International, but obviously neither of those fit with "these" or made any other sense with the clue.  So I didn't have a guess, and wouldn't have even with more time.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

once it was revealed I looked again at the category and "partner" in the German word and thought, "Well, that makes sense."

I had the exact same thought.

The French word didn't help me at all, though.

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(On a shallow note, I loved what Pam was wearing, both the color and the cut.)

Is there a name for the cut?  It looked like an asymmetrical top with a shawl over one shoulder.

I got FJ easily enough except I had not known that there is an organization.  Maybe there is an organization for almost everything.

• Love 3

I liked Pam's no nonsense style.  Showed she as coming for the champ and she gave her a good challenge. Prefer it to the 'oh let's see I will take......hmmm......American....history for.....$200? Please.....'

Spit it out!  There's a time limit!

I didn't even know sister cities was an actual organization of any type so no clue on FJ.   I mean I've heard of sister cities but didn't know there was some official organization for that idea. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Man, Pam was intense. I hope it was just nerves on her part. I don't think I could have watched more than one show with her.

I think she might have relaxed a little if she'd won. But I was rooting against her, despite acknowledging that she was a hell of a player. She was just too intense, and cut off Ken at least once. Plus, I am not yet ready for Amy to lose. And then there's the personal - she answered so quickly that I didn't have time for some answers. 😉

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I also yelled the TS of "Selena Gomez!" and then silently chastised them for having not seen Hulu's recent Only Murders In The Building in which Gomez costars with Martin Short and Steve Martin.

You should chastise me too - I watched (and loved) Only Murders in the Building and couldn't come with her name to save my soul.

All in all, the boards were pretty good. I ran Fill in the Blank, which seemed particularly easy.

I could not come up with John Mclane, though I knew it was Die Hard and Bruce Willis. I recently saw a post on Facebook that said this Christmas you should watch Love Actually and then Die Hard to see Alan Rickman get punished for his actions in Love Actually. LOL.

Got Beehive easily, as it was what I said instead of B-52s the other day. I suppose next will be a question about Beyonce's fans? (they call themselves the Beehive don't they?)

I got Blackwater purely because I love the Doobie Brother's Black Water son.

Somehow I dug Brewster Place out of the dim recesses of my mind - unfortunately I missed everything else in the category. Some feminist I am.

I almost ran Roman Mythology, which is a miracle for me - just getting a couple of answers is pretty good for me. I also almost ran "ex".

FJ was reasonable easy for me. My city has a Sister City and I've edited the website page referring to it a number of times.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I could not come up with John Mclane, though I knew it was Die Hard and Bruce Willis. I recently saw a post on Facebook that said this Christmas you should watch Love Actually and then Die Hard to see Alan Rickman get punished for his actions in Love Actually. LOL.

I think I got John McClane (it took me a second; I've actually never seen the movie) because the Holderness Family just did a video about how Die Hard is a Christmas movie. 😄 (And I know that the bad guy is named Hans.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I think I got John McClane (it took me a second; I've actually never seen the movie) because the Holderness Family just did a video about how Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Of course it's a Christmas movie.

On topic, I really enjoy Amy but am ready for some competition, so even though Pam in the gorgeous red dress was awfully intense, I was happy she gave Amy a run for her money.  Plus, I will cheer for anyone who goes for a true daily-double.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I didn't see the interviews. What was Amy's story about the pearl necklace? I've noticed she was always wearing it.

They were a birthday gift from her girlfriend, whose mother always said that every lady needs a string of pearls.  The girlfriend hasn't been able to attend tapings, so it's Amy's way of keeping her nearby.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I also yelled the TS of "Selena Gomez!" and then silently chastised them for having not seen Hulu's recent Only Murders In The Building in which Gomez costars with Martin Short and Steve Martin.

I got it because it was featured on my Hulu home screen for a while.  I've heard a lot of good things about it, but I just can't start something else while midway through five books, three shows, and a partridge in a pear tree.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Got Beehive easily, as it was what I said instead of B-52s the other day. I suppose next will be a question about Beyonce's fans? (they call themselves the Beehive don't they?)

The beyhive, some of her more ardent fans would surely correct us. ;)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Driad said:

The Game of Authors was a popular game in the 1800s that prospective Jeopardy contestants might try, along with James H's children's books.

I played a version of this game when I was a child and it introduced me to authors that were in my father's book collection that I could read.  In some ways, it led to my love to read and becoming a Library Media Teacher for 30 years and the reason for LMT in my screen name dbklmt.  Thanks Driad for posting this and I'm off to see what versions are available today to play.

ETA;  And I just bought 3 versions 😀, the classic Authors, the American Women Authors and the Children's Authors 😀😀.  They're arriving tomorrow--so excited!  

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 5

I think Pam’s intensity was due to nerves. Her voice was shaking during the interview section and she seemed really uncomfortable. Maybe a shot of vodka pre-game would have helped. 

2 hours ago, Driad said:

The Game of Authors was a popular game in the 1800s that prospective Jeopardy contestants might try, along with James H's children's books.

I had a similar authors card deck when I was a child. I don’t think I ever used them to play a game, I just read and memorized the authors’ bios and book titles. I have gotten many Jeopardy clues right based solely on the information from those cards.

• Love 8

The other day I got all of the Knead category and I attribute that to The Great British Bake Off.

Pam was too intense for me, glad Amy won again.

All of a sudden I am not getting my notifications, I have to remember to come here to read.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

think I got John McClane (it took me a second; I've actually never seen the movie) because the Holderness Family just did a video about how Die Hard is a Christmas movie

And Bob's Burgers did an episode that included a school musical based on Die Hard (which eventually ended up combined with one based on Working Girl,  resulting in Work Hard or Die Trying, Girl)

• LOL 6

I couldn't get Heifer International out of my brain last night, so even though the city I work in has a sister city, I did not get FJ.  And I did not get any TS, either.

I cheered at Krys' pronunciation of Hercule Poirot.  

• Love 7

December 1: (how is it December already?)

Ugh, I seem to be going downhill this week...

57% / 60% / 57%

J!: Ran Company's Product, missed at least two in every other category with no DD or TSes.

DJ: Got 4 each in Writers, Home on TV, and Backwards & Forwards, 3 in Snakes & Rivers and Weights & Measures, and zero in History. Only one DD (Chaucer) and one TS (14 pounds in a stone).

FJ: I got nuthin'.

I liked Amy's top.

I love this DoorDash ad with the guy sending stuff to be delivered to his dog while he's at work (including some squeaky toys and a jar of peanut butter that's left in front of the doggie door with the lid removed). It came on just before FJ and at least made me feel a bit better after doing so badly tonight.

• Love 1

First I said Denver, then I said National capital you moron, so then I said Copenhagen, because I couldn't get Denmark out of my head.

I got the missed clues of does and Annapolis.

Not a great night, but I've had worse.

• Love 4

For FJ, I said Belmopan. Belize City, too close to the coast, kept getting slammed with hurricanes, so they moved the capital further inland. And Belize used to be the British Honduras.

I wanted the guy from Decatur to do better. (I don't know him, but I live in Decatur, too.)

• Useful 1

I was surprised nobody guessed Luxembourg; even if none of them could remember which one is where, it had to be either Luxembourg or Liechtenstein, but no one guessed either one.

I loved the pronounce it category.  Unfortunately, that one and companies were the only categories I ran in the first round.  I wasn't horrible, though; I missed three in states, but two in hunters, and one each in Pulitzers and basketball.

DJ was similar; I loved the vocabulary category, but missed one this time - I'd never heard of stonk.  I only ran writers and snakes (of which I am deathly afraid, so I could have done without seeing the video clues), but wasn't bad in the rest; I missed three in European history, two in weights, and one in TV.

FJ was an instaget, because I just learned that fact about Australia recently (hey, it's only been 108 years).

• Love 4

I liked Amy well enough but it wasn't until she shared today that when she's not doing her day job, she writes comedy as part of a group, that my hard heart grew 2 sizes. 

I wasn't as alert as yesterday, so no TSs or FJ or at least half of everything else for me.

• Love 7

I have no idea why, but something about the name “Lady Delman” immediately made me think of Australia, and I then spent the 30 seconds trying to remember if the capital of Australia was Sydney or Melbourne. 🤦‍♀️😆 So close!

• Love 7

Pretty weak game for me overall.  The in-their-style writing category in particular was just too much for me to cut through quickly.  I was surprised to learn the Supersonics no longer exist, which tells you how much I follow basketball.

I had Ottawa for FJ.  At least I was in the Commonwealth.  I wonder if giving them a shoutout would have qualified me for one of these trips I hear they're giving away recently. ;)

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

The in-their-style writing category in particular was just too much for me to cut through quickly.

I was quite tickled to run that category, because, while I am a voracious reader, I've skewed heavily towards certain - mostly non-fiction - genres for decades now.  So while I read more than the average bear, my selections are limited enough I can easily perform poorly in a literature category, yet I ran this one.  I wouldn't have expected to going in, so was pleased.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The in-their-style writing category in particular was just too much for me to cut through quickly.

Someone in a facebook group I'm in posted a comment about Vonnegut including screenshot of the bottom of the page ending with "So it goes"...I saw it just after J! was over. If I had looked at my notifications before the game started I might have gotten that one.

Or if I'd just had a few more seconds to think...

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SeanC said:

I feel that Iroquois should have been accepted as an answer.  The Mohawk are one of the six nations of the Iroquois Confederacy, so their land is Iroquois land.

The question asked for the tribe - so I personally think the Mohawk is the correct answer (though I answered Iroquois myself).

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Another FJ where I had no idea.  Australia never occurred to me.  I thought about Europe and Asia, but didn't  make it to Australia. 

My knowledge of planned cities is limited to Washington DC (and possibly Kuwait City - though that may have just sprung up overnight instead of being planned. Maybe I'll be able to remember Canberra.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved the pronounce it category.

I'm usually pretty awful in those kind of categories, but this one just clicked for me. I didn't run it, but I came close.

7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I did fairly well, some had clues I picked up on. Though I picked Wilde instead of Joyce, which happens more than I'd like. I think I have a mental block when it comes to Joyce.

It was a decent enough game for me. So I'm pleased.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

She also used write for TWOP.  

That's where I "know" her from - her X-Files recaps on TWoP.

How cool.  I'm still going to root for Amy's streak to continue, but if Jessica pulls off an upset, I'll be happy for her.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's where I "know" her from - her X-Files recaps on TWoP.

How cool.  I'm still going to root for Amy's streak to continue, but if Jessica pulls off an upset, I'll be happy for her.

If only they could tie. 

• Love 2

I was quite tickled to run that category, because, while I am a voracious reader...

I'm a voracious reader (and ran the category), but I'm a voracious novelist as well. As some of you know, I plan to dedicate my next published book to this forum 🥰

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yelling Annapolis didn't help Amy. Sigh.

When I saw this comment yesterday, it led me to believe there was a new champ, so I stopped reading at that point. Then watching the show, I kept wondering when and how the fall was going to come, until it didn't. That was an interesting experience.   😉

• Love 1

Bah.

70% / 50% / 59%

Ran nothing, got no DDs, no TSes, no FJ.

Missed only one each in Crowded, Exam Time, Fiction, U & Me, Greek and T for...

The rest of my board was not so pretty, especially in DJ (missed all but one in Black Sea and Elements...I was just too slow for that category tonight).

Edited by ams1001

I'll be watching football tonight (although I'll watch the show during breaks in play to see what Jessica looks like), so I just checked the archive.

The oral exams TS surprised me (although I did correctly predict someone was going to guess boards).

I only ran America and exams in the first round, but still did well in the rest; I missed two in fiction, but just one each in the others.

But in DJ, I only ran Black Sea, and had several bad categories; I missed three each in pop culture, art & music, and elements (that one was disappointing, because wordplay categories are usually my jam).  I missed another two in "T" and one in Greek.

At least I rebounded to get FJ.

• Love 1

This is me for FJ:  James Garfield.  No, too early.  Billy, the Kid. No, too early. Wild Bill Hickcokc, that's not right.  Buffalo Bill, final answer.

I got the missed clue of Triton.

I got the entire categories of fiction and crowded right. 

I was doing pretty well until final.

• Love 2