Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E10: Eviction #3; Head of Household #4

Message added by Lady Calypso,

Hi everyone! We would like to remind everyone that, especially with this season, we all have differing opinions, and it's ok to disagree. Just please do so without breaking our Be Civil rule! If you can't do that, then you can utilize our Ignore function (which is hovering over their avatar and clicking the Ignore User button). Thanks and have a great eviction night! 

• Start Topic

Well, that was strangely anticlimactic. It was clear from the start that Brent knew already. I'm relieved he got to leave with a few shreds of dignity, but did he ever look crestfallen. For now, at least. 

I wonder what was going on behind the scenes, since Julie (who I thought looked nice tonight) said she thought at the start of the live show Brent thought he was staying? I wonder if we'll find out later. 

The goodbye messages were pretty lukewarm and/or snarky, but not surprising considering he never managed to make a single real friendship in the house. That's actually pretty rare - he really can't read people.

Imagine being in an entire fake alliance, and you're the only one who doesn't know it's fake! So cringy. 

Funny that Derek F has X pegged as a lawyer. 

Did I miss something or did the cameras completely fail to catch Christian winning the comp? I'm happy he won, just to shake things up a bit.

I wonder what will happen tomorrow. 

• Love 11

He really wasn't expecting those good-bye messages from Hannah, Alyssa and Tiff.  Knowing how much Hannah actually disliked him, when he was telling Julie she was just going with the herd, I thought to myself "please let them show her good-bye message" and it did not disappoint.  And I'm glad Alyssa mocked him over saying he had her wrapped around his finger, as he did say that....many times.  

Meh over Christian winning, I was hoping to end up next week with all three teams at 3, but it's Big Brother.  I can never get what I want.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I wonder what was going on behind the scenes, since Julie (who I thought looked nice tonight) said she thought at the start of the live show Brent thought he was staying? I wonder if we'll find out later. 

She knew and was trying to sell some non-existent suspense.

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Did I miss something or did the cameras completely fail to catch Christian winning the comp? I'm happy he won, just to shake things up a bit.

It was awful.  The camera was on Derek X the entire time, and then flashed to an aquarium of fish for some reason.  Next thing you know, the Kings have won the comp and we did not see any of it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What did Brent say when Tiff's video played?  

The husband thought that he called her a bitch but I think he's due for an eye exam so I doubt that was it. The closed captioning is fucking dreadful for this show so it didn't catch it, either.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was awful.  The camera was on Derek X the entire time, and then flashed to an aquarium of fish for some reason.  Next thing you know, the Kings have won the comp and we did not see any of it.

The fish tank used to be part of the old house designs - it was usually up in the HoH bedroom or the upstairs area. Occasionally there would be drama in the house over who was supposed to feed the fish, wait no, it was my turn, not hers, and no, really, did anyone feed the fish? But they took it out awhile ago because half these chucklefucks every season can barely feed themselves, let alone an entire tank of defenseless fish. For feed watchers, they used to cut to the fish whenever they needed to break away from the feeds ("...aaaand FISH." used to be a quarter of the posts in the live feeds thread every summer). That's why it's so funny to me that they cut the end of the HoH comp to give us a good old fashioned ...aaaand FISH moment two seasons after they stopped FISHing us.

Now it's just some Windows 98 screensaver of blue shit. I miss the fish.

Edited by Callaphera
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

Brent looked like he was ready to cry. He put up a good façade of 'it didn't surprise me', but deep down I think it did. You can tell he was surprised and wanted to bawl his eyes out. 

The long-winded conversation Brent had with Julie at the end was torture. Does she really think we want to tune in later for more of this idiot trying to sound intelligent, and her feigning interest in him ? No thanks ! 

Christian seems to get cuter and sexier each episode. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, tableau vivant said:

Brent looked like he was ready to cry. He put up a good façade of 'it didn't surprise me', but deep down I think it did. You can tell he was surprised and wanted to bawl his eyes out. 

I think they set aside an unusually long segment for the interview after the giant blindside. When there was no blindside, Julie was stuck with a subdued, shell-shocked Brent who just kept repeating himself. Not great TV. 

• Love 11
(edited)
20 minutes ago, tableau vivant said:

The long-winded conversation Brent had with Julie at the end was torture. Does she really think we want to tune in later for more of this idiot trying to sound intelligent, and her feigning interest in him ? No thanks ! 

Agree with everything.  He didn't know  he was going. He was completely blind sided. He can try to spin it  but nope, not buying that he wasn't surprised .

Omg, he just kept saying words and words, no actual sentences. Nothing  made sense.  Julie  no one wants to hear from Brent,  because he's not saying anything. 

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 6

Julie is earning her money trying to pretend she has interest in what he had to say. I thought he was playing a 'gotcha moment' when he was talking to her...and she looked puzzled. She had no idea how to keep the conversation going. But let's all tune in later for a deeper conversation with Brent ? No way. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Brent's post-elimination demeanor did not tug my heartstrings.

He was sure he was staying because he's smart and strong and people like him, then he was equally sure he was leaving because he's smart and strong and people are intimidated by him.

It will be difficult for him to watch the show--I hope he can do that in private--but a reality check and a dose of humility might be the best thing that ever happened to him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Kind of anticlimatic when Julie Chen tells you at the top of the hour Brent is going home.

Also the blindside pretty much fizzled at Brent's non-plussed reaction. Julie even gave him one of the marathon interviews (when othesr get the bum's rush off the stage) but his unemotional reaction had to be a disapointment to so many.

I still like Hannah but her youth and immaturity is starting to manifest on screen here and there, like her goodbye message to Brent.

Also manifesting is scripted diary room talk...a lot of it is starting to feel less natural and more like something production is spoon feeding them to say.

Disapointed a King won. All that means is we have to march along for yet another week of a foregone conclusion when Whitney gets evicted. Watching alliances cracking up is a lot more fun than another round of block voting.

Not a Sarah Beth fan. Something about her bugs.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

That was the most confusing competition I've ever seen. I thought you had to reset the clock after 25 seconds, but it look like it just kept resetting for you. And then I thought you had to get out before your 25 seconds expired, but I swear I saw some people run with 2 seconds left and then the clock just reset to 25 and kept going. It played out like a straight-forward "first one to complete the puzzle wins," but I swear it was explained as more of a timing comp. Weird.

Brent seemed manic to me. Medicated. Closer to Cody (of Jess and Cody) leaving than Mike Boogie with Howie and "get to steppin." The latter was a blindside. I don't know what this was.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

That was the most confusing competition I've ever seen. I thought you had to reset the clock after 25 seconds, but it look like it just kept resetting for you. And then I thought you had to get out before your 25 seconds expired, but I swear I saw some people run with 2 seconds left and then the clock just reset to 25 and kept going. It played out like a straight-forward "first one to complete the puzzle wins," but I swear it was explained as more of a timing comp. Weird.

Brent seemed manic to me. Medicated. Closer to Cody (of Jess and Cody) leaving than Mike Boogie with Howie and "get to steppin." The latter was a blindside. I don't know what this was.

Cody's exit is the number one all time best! Marching across the table and all. That's how I would do it. Ignore all the phony people who just voted you out. I'm sorry but you don't give them the time of day when they just ended your dream of  hundreds of thousand dollars.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
13 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Cody's exit is the number one all time best! Marching across the table and all. That's how I would do it. Ignore all the phony people who just voted you out. I'm sorry but you don't give them the time of day when they just ended your dream of  hundreds of thousand dollars.

I told Mr.ToStandOn that he should have pulled a Cody and stomped across the coffee table, lol! 

Brent wanted so badly to act like he knew this was going to happen, but, well, he acted badly! His "mental" was not in full gear

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

I swear it was explained as more of a timing comp. Weird.

I don't know what the hell was going on with it either... for example I rewound it to see that the green team (and now I've forgotten what team it was...) switched out people when it was 7.6 seconds left and they CLEARLY did NOT hit their button. The time kept running while the next person took their place solving. We never saw their clock again but it was obvious they should have been out. There was also no feedback from people hitting the button. No lights, no sound. Great job challenge builders!

Also, nice camerawork to miss the winning team placing their final piece. The hell?? ITA the whole thing was a mess.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I don't know what the hell was going on with it either... for example I rewound it to see that the green team (and now I've forgotten what team it was...) switched out people when it was 7.6 seconds left and they CLEARLY did NOT hit their button. The time kept running while the next person took their place solving. We never saw their clock again but it was obvious they should have been out. There was also no feedback from people hitting the button. No lights, no sound. Great job challenge builders!

See, I actually thought that was really smart. The rules stated that you just had to hit your buzzer before your 25 seconds ran out. So people were running back when they had about seven seconds left and standing by the buzzer but not hitting it until the timer hit about 1-2 seconds. Their partner would run in; thereby giving their partner more time to work within their 25 seconds. If a team keeps hitting their buzzer early, they are excessively rotating people, which is a waste of time. Those few seconds they bought by allowing the clock to run down were actually helpful.

I agree there could have been a noise when people hit the button though.

Edited by lids
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, Alice Mudgarden said:

This is the most Big Brother thing I have ever heard.

I tried to figure out the season by the background and colour of the fish. I'm not proud of myself.

It was BB21's fish tank, for the record.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Melina22 said:

No, you didn’t miss anything; the one camera being broadcast live was so focused on how close Derek X was to finishing, we didn’t get a shot of Christian completing the puzzle and hitting the buzzer.

But don’t worry; they probably had about 70 cameras all simultaneously recording the comp - of which we were seeing live the output from one - so I’m sure Sunday’s episode will show two or three different viewpoints of Christian’s win.

3 hours ago, tableau vivant said:

We looking at the same guy?  I thought Christian was starting to look a little heavier in the face – which, after only three weeks in the house, doesn’t really bode well for him…

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Cozytea said:

He didn't know  he was going. He was completely blind sided. He can try to spin it  but nope, not buying that he wasn't surprised .

Does feeds info count as a spoiler when it pertains to something that’s already aired? Just in case:

Spoiler

Brent knew about the blindside. Christian let it slip the night before. Brent was still holding out hope that people he thought were loyal to him— his Aces team, at least — would vote for him, but he was not surprised. 

The comp editing was so inept. I’m sure there was a camera on each team, and they should have been ready to switch from Aces to Kings when Christian was placing the last piece. Or, since it was clearly neck-and-neck, they could have switched to a wide shot. 

I was confused by the whole thing: “Aw, Derex stopped. He must have forgotten to reset his clock.. Aren’t those fish dead by now? Wait, Christian won? Whaaat just happened?” Terrible.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

What did Brent say when Tiff's video played?  

“Oh, she <?>. Daaang.” I replayed it 3x, but could not make out that word in the middle. Thought it was amusing that both Hannah and Tiffany did inflight hand motions. 

Only a single rap couplet from Britini. Thank heavens for small favors.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't think he should watch it in private.  I think he ought to watch it with people that care about him.  I don't know the guy, but I do worry about him.  Yes, the way he acted in the house was off-putting, but I don't think he is going to handle this well at all. 

I agree. You don't have to like someone as a person not to feel some empathy when you see them go through a painful, humiliating experience. I remember the look on his face, and the fact his father committed suicide not that long ago. 

I've enjoyed this season so far, but not this part. I'll be relieved to hear down the road that he's okay. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The long-winded conversation Brent had with Julie at the end was torture. Does she really think we want to tune in later for more of this idiot trying to sound intelligent, and her feigning interest in him ?

Clearly Brent is not very bright, and very insecure about it, the way he tries to use big words but uses them incorrectly. "I had a lot of things cooking in my" . . . (pause, points to head) "mental." Oof.  But I'm not the least bit worried for him. His ego will not allow him to believe anything other than he was voted out because he's such an enormous threat and anything derogatory said about him was simply jealousy. He won't learn a thing from this.

The comp editing was so inept. I’m sure there was a camera on each team, and they should have been ready to switch from Aces to Kings when Christian was placing the last piece. Or, since it was clearly neck-and-neck, they could have switched to a wide shot. 

For that matter they could have used a split screen on all four teams for the whole comp. They do have the technology, after all.

• Love 7

Loved seeing all of the snarky goodbye messages for Brent. I thought I'd like him during the first couple episodes when he talked about how he was going to smile at people while stabbing them in the back. That quickly wore off as we found out he was another idiot with a major ego problem. Couldn't have happened to a nicer douche guy.

As far as Christian winning the HoH, hated that because I can't stand him at all. However, I've really only found two likeable people this season, X and Tiffany. Outside of them, everyone else annoys me to no end.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Also the blindside pretty much fizzled at Brent's non-plussed reaction. Julie even gave him one of the marathon interviews (when othesr get the bum's rush off the stage) but his unemotional reaction had to be a disapointment to so many.

I've heard "non-plussed" before, but didn't know exactly what it meant so Google told me it was " surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react."  Perfect description of Brent.  You're such a good writer, North.

• Love 6

X being "outed" as a lawyer smacks of BB shenanigans to me.  At a minimum, imo, BB hinted at it to a hamster or three.  Is it complete coincidence that we seem to get this occupation spec every season at this time?  

I have lost all patience with the hamsters' shouting hellos to folks after they cast their vote.  I get that it is a tough gig to be holed-up as they are.  But, it's what they signed up for.  I'm fine with individuals talking to the camera during the week, or to each other about how much they miss so and so and the stories which emerge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Brent:  "I was born late, but I wasn't born last night."  Actually I'm not sure he even got the end right as I was still goggling at "born late."  

Isn't the phrase supposed to be:

"I was born at night, not last night"?

I was a nice 2:20 PM

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

Brent:  "I was born late, but I wasn't born last night."  Actually I'm not sure he even got the end right as I was still goggling at "born late."  

I think it is “I wasn’t born yesterday “.  And it is used when someone tries to play you for a sucker.  

X being "outed" as a lawyer smacks of BB shenanigans to me.  At a minimum, imo, BB hinted at it to a hamster or three.

Especially considering whose mouth it came out of.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Isn't the phrase supposed to be:

"I was born at night, not last night"?

7 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I think it is “I wasn’t born yesterday “.  And it is used when someone tries to play you for a sucker.  

IIRC I’ve always heard it as “I was born at night, but I wasn’t born LAST night.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Nashville said:

IIRC I’ve always heard it as “I was born at night, but I wasn’t born LAST night.”

Yes, that's what I've always heard; "I wasn't born yesterday" doesn't have the lead-in of when you were actually born, like the above phrase does, and like Brett mangled.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I've heard "non-plussed" before, but didn't know exactly what it meant so Google told me it was " surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react."  Perfect description of Brent.  You're such a good writer, North.

LOL thanks. I think my way with words compensates for my notoriously lacking mathematic ability. Fighting not to rant on the uselessness of algebra in daily life as math has nothing to do with BIG BROTHER unless  you count Julie's famous "go to a tie breaker and guess the number" to get a winner for a comp.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I have lost all patience with the hamsters' shouting hellos to folks after they cast their vote.  I get that it is a tough gig to be holed-up as they are.  But, it's what they signed up for.  I'm fine with individuals talking to the camera during the week, or to each other about how much they miss so and so and the stories which emerge.

This annoys me every single week. I remember it would happen from time to time in earlier seasons I watched, but I don’t remember when it just became the norm. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

X being "outed" as a lawyer smacks of BB shenanigans to me.  At a minimum, imo, BB hinted at it to a hamster or three.  Is it complete coincidence that we seem to get this occupation spec every season at this time?  

I've always wished for a moratorium on 'shout outs' closely seconded by a ban on hallway antics as houseguests enter and leave the voting booth which have toned down somewhat of late.

• Love 8

Well that was… underwhelming. Brent definitely knew ahead of time what was going on, I didn’t see any bit of surprise in his face. I’m super annoyed someone blabbed to him and spoiled what would have been an epic moment and probably the highlight of the season. 😡 Julie thought it’d be a Big Moment as well because clearly she set aside extra time for his exit interview.

Whoever spoiled it I am now rooting for them to lose.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ilovebeaarthur said:

This annoys me every single week. I remember it would happen from time to time in earlier seasons I watched, but I don’t remember when it just became the norm. 

I'm a big advocate of a 'once you stand up you can't speak' rule. It used to be when someone had a birthday you'd get "And happy birthday David!" occasionally, then somebody had a birthday every damned week. Now it's all "Hi Kris, Javy, Anthony and Craig. Good luck to you all! The Rickett's suck..." 

• LOL 5
(edited)
On 7/29/2021 at 10:15 PM, North of Eden said:

Kind of anticlimatic when Julie Chen tells you at the top of the hour Brent is going home.

Disapointed a King won. All that means is we have to march along for yet another week of a foregone conclusion when Whitney gets evicted. Watching alliances cracking up is a lot more fun than another round of block voting.

This!  I mean I knew it was a forgone conclusion but still what the hell.  I don't recall her ever doing that in the past, even when it was a forgone conclusion.  Also, in regards to the other part I wanted to highlight your post and the Ice's underneath because it tackles the same topic.

21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was hoping someone would win that would shake up yet another noncompetitive season.

The entire cast is much more likable than in years past which is a major plus, but the lack of competitiveness is causing me to lose interest as it has for as long as I have watched this reality series (several years).

As for Brent, I still think he has major insecurity issues and the way he acts is a complete cover for that.   Someone should have thrown him an empathy vote, regardless of how the house guests may feel about him.   He does appear to be stubborn and unwilling to see what others see in the way he acts, but again, I think that is all major insecurity issues.

I agree with both you and Eden above.  The cast is filled with more likable people but they are so boring and we as the viewers pretty much who is next to go before it happens.  You know barring veto or that other competition which name is slipping my mind right now.  Basically this is last season on repeat with a different cast.   Meaning a large alliance who is controlling everything and there is no opposition and there have been nothing to upset the flow of what the "house" wants.  I hate the term voting with the house but for lack of a better term I will use that.

Just looking at the dynamics, I am right now calling three of the final four as being Kyland, Xavier, and Derek F (I would not be shocked if they drag him to the end because I really do not see him doing anything of note this season and he will be viewed as an easy person to beat.).  Right now the fourth spot seems to be the most fluid.  I would like to see Tiffany but I am not sure that will happen.  I could easily see either Claire or Hannah as the fourth.

Now I could be completely wrong but I just don't think I am and after watching a boring season last year, a shitty season twenty-one, and a terrible season nineteen.  I just do not think I have it in me to sit and watching something where it is a forgone conclusion who will be at the end.  For me the last good season was twenty.  It had a good cast, good drama, two alliances that were competing against each other.  All of the other seasons since have had none of that.

Edited to add:  What the hell does Derek F. keep on saying week after to week when he votes?  It is something strange.  He did it once and I chalked it up to nerves, but now he has said it three weeks in a row. 

Edited by BK1978
  • Love 2

Well, gee.  How exciting.  Two consecutive episodes of "the 'Cool Kids' clown the outcast", followed by a "blindside" that clearly wasn't, given that Brent's face at the top of the show looked like he'd been reported to Suicide Watch.

Congratulations to Hannah for claiming Seat #1 on the Go Fuck Yourself Express!  (And here I thought it was going to be Tiffany, easily.)  Oooh, so Brent was a bit of a dick?  (Even though he kept being explicit about not hitting on women, whereas Christian was panting for a showmance.)  Golly gosh, girl, that must be such a shock to you!  Have you never met men before, or something?  Take a pill, JIll.

It would be nice if Big Brain Secret Lawyer-Man would stop being so smug reading those jokes off of the cue cards in the DR.  In case you didn't notice, Mr. Genius HoH, Christian just saved your butt from being thrown up on the block, right next to his own.  Virtually the whole house was preparing to nominate the two of you.  (Who was warning you about that?  Oh, yeah…Brent.)  Nice successful week there, Frenchie.

And demerits to Whitney as well, who never considered saving Brent, her patronizing "advice" session aside.  Apparently she missed the memo that if the Kings kept power, she's the next target.  Whoopsie.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Nashville said:
22 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Actually, both are valid phrases. And they both mean the same thing.

Classic movie fans will recognize the phrase “I wasn’t born yesterday” as the inspiration for the 1950 movie “Born Yesterday” starring Judy Holliday as a stereotypical dumb blonde who turns out to be much more savvy than she appears. And that’s your TCM commercial for the week! 😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2