Type keyword(s) to search

Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

On 7/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Sinner twin is the only nice looking guy in the bunch. I’m surprised he isn’t married yet.

Rumor has it he is courting Hannah Wissman, sister of Jana's suspected love interest.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Was Sinner Twin the one that had his hands tied up by JB, for wanking?

If Lauren had her hair up like Jinjer, she would have looked much better, and the back of her dress wouldn't have been concealed.  The only one who looked nice with her hair down was Claire.  I really liked the flowers in her hair, and it didn't look all tangled.

Yes. Lauren generally has great style, and I did love her dress. Girlfriend has a nice ass, knows it, and shows it off in a tasteful way. If her hair was up she would’ve been POW stunning with the design of the back of the dress. 

I did really like Abby's veil and the bridesmaid dresses she chose. It wasnt something super fashion forward or unique but the kind of style that will look pretty to our eyes 30-40yrs from now. Although given the skin tones/hair colors of her bridal party, I would've gone a shade or two darker pink, lighter would've been too close to the white, and I think this current tone washes the ladies out. But they do look lovely. I would wear that bridesmaids dress.

image.thumb.png.4c853fbb2bb130f0688c983ffa0ec5a3.png

45 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did really like Abby's veil and the bridesmaid dresses she chose. It wasnt something super fashion forward of unique but the kind of style that will look pretty to our eyes 30-40yrs from now. Although given the skin tones/hair colors of her bridal party, I would've gone a shade or two darker pink, lighter would've been took close to the white, and I think this current tone washes the ladies out. But they do look lovely. I would wear that bridesmaids dress.

I agree. I love the blushy tone of the bridesmaids dresses, but the majority of the girls are sandy-haired and fair. A notch or two deeper would've provided better contrast for the photos. 

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Properly fitting bras, why don't they wear properly fitting bras?!

I do not understand this either. Now I know I am rarity in that I love wearing bras, but the proper undergarments REALLY can make or break an outfit. 

I'm guessing the reason why they cannot find a properly fitted bra is the same reason why the men all wear pants with the inseam 6 inches longer than necessary--they cannot allow someone get too close to measure.  Yes, someone could point them to abrathatfits.org and the calculator there.  All they need is a tape measure and can get the measurements themselves, but those require the young lady to be naked at the waist as she measures.  

Then there's the issue of the cheapness rampant in the fundie community.  A properly fitted bra costs money and cannot be found at Walmart or Target.  Unless the young lady in question has been blessed with a bra size that falls into the abysmal size range of most American manufacturers.  I'm a 38G in American sizing and 38F in UK sizing,  I cannot waltz into any store in my area and just pick up a bra.  I have to order online.  Good news is there are a lot of options available including Nordstrom and Amazon.  

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a 38G in American sizing and 38F in UK sizing,  I cannot waltz into any store in my area and just pick up a bra.  I have to order online.  Good news is there are a lot of options available including Nordstrom and Amazon.  

I am a 38F too, so I get it. And I understand people have different amounts of money to spend on clothes. But most of the Duggar brides/bridesmaids have been pretty slim and would likely fit in standard sizes. I think the bustiest bride was Joy, who's dress didnt fit that well actually.

Although I suppose if you didn't grow up in a family where the women taught you that undergarments were important to the silhouette of an outfit, you might not think of it. Also some people care more about fashion than others.

Out of sheer boredom, I watched the full weddings of Jill and Derrick and Jessa and Ben. The sermons in both were near identical in the message: wives submit to the authority of your husband who is god appointed leader of the family. Basically both sermons relied heavily on the writings of Paul to describe the proper position of wives under the authority of their husbands. Of course, both dressed that up nicely by explaining just how much the husband must love their wives and sacrifice for them as Christ loved the church and sacrificed even his own life for it. But it was still gross how much both sermons focused on wifely submission. 

6 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did really like Abby's veil and the bridesmaid dresses she chose. It wasnt something super fashion forward of unique but the kind of style that will look pretty to our eyes 30-40yrs from now. Although given the skin tones/hair colors of her bridal party, I would've gone a shade or two darker pink, lighter would've been took close to the white, and I think this current tone washes the ladies out. But they do look lovely. I would wear that bridesmaids dress.

I agree. Lovely, but that shade doesn’t work on everyone. I once read in one of those bridal magazines that coral was a sort of universal color that works on everyone. 

Jessa's bridesmaids wore a lovely shade of coral.  Unfortunately, the dresses looked like cheap polyester clingy crap that were totally unsuitable for a November wedding.

I liked the aqua color of Jill's bridesmaid's dresses too.  That was all I liked with those modified ridiculous looking things.

12 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Jessa's bridesmaids wore a lovely shade of coral.  Unfortunately, the dresses looked like cheap polyester clingy crap that were totally unsuitable for a November wedding.

I liked the aqua color of Jill's bridesmaid's dresses too.  That was all I liked with those modified ridiculous looking things.

Yes. I remember them looking so cheap. Jill’s dress—her whole look, actually, was horrible. 

18 minutes ago, zenme said:

Yes. I remember them looking so cheap. Jill’s dress—her whole look, actually, was horrible. 

I think Jill suffered from being the first daughter to get married and Pintrest hasn’t exploded then. Compared to Anna (who got married in 2008) she was out of a bridal magazine. 

21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I do not understand this either. Now I know I am rarity in that I love wearing bras, but the proper undergarments REALLY can make or break an outfit. 

It wasn't until I got a proper bra fitting and started buying bras that were in my actual size, that I found I didn't mind wearing a bra much at all.  It's amazing how much more comfortable it is to wear undergarments that fit properly. Whenever someone tells me her bra is painful, I suggest she get a professional fitting because she's probably wearing the wrong size.  Works nearly every time.

All of these fundies need to get out there and get bras that fit, they'll look so much better in their fundified outfits.

Carlin posted a video of her and Evan trying on their bridesmaid/groomsman outfits for Katie's wedding. Katie is going for an all-black look. I actually really like this dress and find it a refreshing change. Of course she did mention the sexy thigh split would have to be shortened.

image.png.b27c9bafc226a48d25379e7c17fe5c23.png

(edited)
9 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Carlin posted a video of her and Evan trying on their bridesmaid/groomsman outfits for Katie's wedding. Katie is going for an all-black look. I actually really like this dress and find it a refreshing change. Of course she did mention the sexy thigh split would have to be shortened.

The dress is cute, I like the bow in the back, especially for standing at the altar.  However, I just cannot get behind all black for wedding attendants.  And; black suits with black shirts for the guys?  Just no.  Surprised that all of the groomsmen are apparently buying new suits just for the wedding.  Not an inexpensive proposition.

Watching the video made me wonder how long it must take Carlin to chisel the spackle off her face every night.  If she thinks she needs that much makeup to look good at her age, she is in for a real shock once she hits 40.  It looks so unnatural to me to see a woman playing with her baby in a tee and sweats wearing false eyelashes and half a bottle of eyeliner.  Yuck!

Edited by Rootbeer
On 5/18/2021 at 7:31 AM, deaja said:

My favorite Duggar wedding (for the visuals, I haven't watched most of the ceremonies) is Jinger's wedding.  I absolutely love her dress.  

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etonline.com%2Fsites

My least favorite dress was Lauren, I think.

02a75c2a10d3203684ec241a0ab423f0.jpg

Actually, it was Anna.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim

OMG, Anna's dress was a harbinger of things to come. Seeing her sad face in that wrinkled, ill-fitting comforter of a "dress" always makes me sad.

19 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I love the dress, but I think shortening the slit is a mistake. The bridesmaids are going to look like they're wrapped in black bedsheets. 

The theme could be really classy, but I'm not sure how this is going to play out. If Katie has a giant bridal party of black-on-black-on-black, then it's going to look like a gathering of vampires. 

Who "wore it worse?" Anna Duggar or Christine Brown of 'Sister Wives' infamy?  I know it's not the same dress.  That was my cute way of asking who looked worse on their wedding day.  I vote Christine, but it's a horse race.  Hee!  😝image.png.34af011ca52af022cd073f8ab12ceb8c.pngimage.png.727b929de77a2db9912f3f1ae203d137.png

5 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Who "wore it worse?" Anna Duggar or Christine Brown of 'Sister Wives' infamy?  I know it's not the same dress.  That was my cute way of asking who looked worse on their wedding day.  I vote Christine, but it's a horse race.  Hee!  😝image.png.34af011ca52af022cd073f8ab12ceb8c.pngimage.png.727b929de77a2db9912f3f1ae203d137.png

Well. I did think Anna's dress was a bit of a disaster, but, honestly, I don't think I have ever seen anything quite as unfortunate as that second photo. And I feel kind of horrible about it, since she is obviously feeling radiant. I'd say I hope that was just a bad angle or something, but I can't imagine how that dress could be staged to look attractive.

To be (a little) fair, Christine was Kody's 3rd wife and weddings for wives after the first were very small and only attended by a few family members. And the Browns were very into modesty back in the day.

4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well. I did think Anna's dress was a bit of a disaster, but, honestly, I don't think I have ever seen anything quite as unfortunate as that second photo. And I feel kind of horrible about it, since she is obviously feeling radiant. I'd say I hope that was just a bad angle or something, but I can't imagine how that dress could be staged to look attractive.

I still think Anna’s entire look is worse. Christine’s dress might be ill fitting, but she looks happy, she styled her hair in an era appropriate updo for the event and there is LIFE in her face. 

A bride can look joyful and radiant with little money spent. Of course more money can give you a more elaborate dress etc, but it’s not a requirement. 

I think it’s likely Jill and Joy spent similar amounts on their dresses, and Jill looked better because I believe that she was happy to be there. Joy looked miserable. 

11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

To be (a little) fair, Christine was Kody's 3rd wife and weddings for wives after the first were very small and only attended by a few family members. And the Browns were very into modesty back in the day.

But even small weddings deserve a nice dress, which can be simple and not expensive btw. Christine’s dress….is well…the epitome of the infamous burlap sack being turned into a dress. Not ill-fitting, but not-fitting. She deserved much better.

Anna’s dress would not make my short list either, it’s boring and ill fitting, but at least it gives me some sort of wedding dress vibe. 

RE: as far as Carlin's bridesmaid dress goes, that slit is pretty low. We all have seen the Bates sisters wear normal clothes showing their thighs on any given day. This dress is no problem as modesty goes IMO for a wedding. It's a nice dress but I think they will have to balance off that black with a really nice accent color. I hope the guys are not wearing black shirts with their suits.

6 minutes ago, floridamom said:

RE: as far as Carlin's bridesmaid dress goes, that slit is pretty low. We all have seen the Bates sisters wear normal clothes showing their thighs on any given day. This dress is no problem as modesty goes IMO for a wedding. It's a nice dress but I think they will have to balance off that black with a really nice accent color. I hope the guys are not wearing black shirts with their suits.

Prior to putting on the suit, Carlin's husband was wearing a tee shirt, so I get the impression that they are wearing black shirts, too.  Amongst other issues, if you look at the photo, the shirt and the suit are different shades of black, which sounds impossible, but isn't.  It makes things look worse, IMO.  The all black is just dumb, IMO.  Why not a gray shirt if she doesn't want color?  The all black shirt and suit is gangsterish, not formal, to me.

From their video, it seems like the bride thinks this is a very formal, very elegant look for the bridal party.  No, it's not.  I hope the women are going to all put their hair up and I'd love to see some beautiful statement necklaces to set off the asymmetrical neckline of the dresses.  

34 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Wow Anna and Josh were so young. 
Anna is looking at what? Someone to save her? She did not look happy.

She was probably scared at the thought of being alone with a guy. After 20 years of being told how wrong it was, suddenly that’s her future. 

On 7/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Abby looked so pretty ! 

1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

She was probably scared at the thought of being alone with a guy. After 20 years of being told how wrong it was, suddenly that’s her future. 

And then add having your whole wedding, prep, honeymoon and all being filmed and then broadcast to millions of people.  Scared is probably mild for what she was going through.

1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

I don’t think that was it. Those photos were taken after the wedding. Josh and Anna got married in the evening in Sept 2008 and took sunset beach photos in their wedding attire several days later. 

32 minutes ago, zenme said:

I seem to recall Anna seemed like she was ready to be “had.” I don’t think she knew what she was in for. 

I agree with you. Through there entire wedding episode Anna was smiling and giddy. They got married at night and saw each other throughout the prep. She would not let go of his hand. She was excited to marry Josh. 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:06 PM, GeeGolly said:

Properly fitting bras, why don't they wear properly fitting bras?!

Abby's dress appears to have the proper support. The bridesmaids, left on their own to find undergarments, failed. The contrast between the bride and the bridal party highlights the the problem. 

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t think that was it. Those photos were taken after the wedding. Josh and Anna got married in the evening in Sept 2008 and took sunset beach photos in their wedding attire several days later. 

I agree with you. Through there entire wedding episode Anna was smiling and giddy. They got married at night and saw each other throughout the prep. She would not let go of his hand. She was excited to marry Josh. 

So that’s why her dress looks so mangled! 

Is Katie Bates feeling like she won't shine if others wear color? The wedding photos are going to be a sea of black with a bride dressed in white. I hope the bouquets will at least have some color. 

And as @Rootbeer mention, black comes in almost as many shades as white. There's black with brown undertones, or gray, or blue. You get under a fluorescent light or bright sunshine and it shows.

I think at the very minimum, gray shirts for the guys and gray shoes for the ladies.

The more I think about it... the guys will look like strippers, before they start their routine.

17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Is Katie Bates feeling like she won't shine if others wear color? The wedding photos are going to be a sea of black with a bride dressed in white. I hope the bouquets will at least have some color. 

With a December wedding, we can probably expect a lot of red and green accents...unless she goes another direction like Tori did with purple and lilac.

On 8/1/2021 at 8:57 AM, Rootbeer said:

Amongst other issues, if you look at the photo, the shirt and the suit are different shades of black, which sounds impossible, but isn't.  It makes things look worse, IMO.  The all black is just dumb, IMO.  Why not a gray shirt if she doesn't want color? 

Photography does something to black.  When I was working with a musical group that wears a mostly black formal outfit for their performances, this really stood out.  They all looked the same in person but in photos or video, the black dresses on some of the women were all different sorts of shades of violet due to the fabric being different ages and being washed in different detergents.  Before recording their performance to sell on DVD, they actually had to do multiple screen tests and get new outfits for some people to make everything look good.

I'm also not a fan of all black in weddings, but it is possible that the shading problem won't be quite so noticeable at the actual event.  Their wedding photos would still be in for an extra dosing of mess though.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, Rootbeer said:

The dress is cute, I like the bow in the back, especially for standing at the altar.  However, I just cannot get behind all black for wedding attendants.  And; black suits with black shirts for the guys?  Just no.  Surprised that all of the groomsmen are apparently buying new suits just for the wedding.  Not an inexpensive proposition.

Watching the video made me wonder how long it must take Carlin to chisel the spackle off her face every night.  If she thinks she needs that much makeup to look good at her age, she is in for a real shock once she hits 40.  It looks so unnatural to me to see a woman playing with her baby in a tee and sweats wearing false eyelashes and half a bottle of eyeliner.  Yuck!

My nephew is getting married in September. All black. We had to convince the bride that the groom should wear a white shirt so the pics would have some contrast, but all the groomsmen are wearing black suits with black shirts. On the invite, it requests guests wear black as well. Bride says she has "a vision" and everything will look very elegant. Everyone has been murmuring about "is this a funeral?"  We'll see how this goes.

12 minutes ago, beckie said:

Everyone I've known who has done the black wedding thing has ended up divorced. And very nastily, too.

Funny you say that, because out of all the Bates couples, I think Travis and Katie are the most mismatched.

A black and white wedding can be really pretty. I dont think all black attire would be ugly at Katie/Travis' wedding, but it wont exactly be striking. If they do something pretty with the flowers it may be alright.

On 8/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, BitterApple said:

Funny you say that, because out of all the Bates couples, I think Travis and Katie are the most mismatched.

Why is that? I don't follow the younger Bateseseses much, so I'm really not familiar with them. 

10 hours ago, Heathen said:

Why is that? I don't follow the younger Bateseseses much, so I'm really not familiar with them. 

Katie is incredibly immature, way beyond the typical sheltered Fundie. Travis is very quiet and reserved, and has been visibly uncomfortable with her obnoxious displays. I think Katie's excited to be married like her sisters and Travis is excited at the prospect of sex with a hot girl, but their personalities aren't well suited for the long term. 

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Katie is incredibly immature, way beyond the typical sheltered Fundie. Travis is very quiet and reserved, and has been visibly uncomfortable with her obnoxious displays. I think Katie's excited to be married like her sisters and Travis is excited at the prospect of sex with a hot girl, but their personalities aren't well suited for the long term. 

Travis is good looking and that is probably the only thing Katie is thinking about right now. I don’t think she realizes what living in New Jersey without her family around is really going to be like either.