Type keyword(s) to search

Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Wonder how often she and Jessa have interacted over the years?   Might be an interesting dynamic to sit back and watch play out.

They're a little different. Jessa is a bitch, Tori is a woe-is-me(er). Not to the degree that Lauren is, but Tori basically whines about everything, from packing to planning a wedding. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just amazed at the guys in most of these wedding parties  who wear brown shoes with blue suits. It looks awful. If they insist on wearing brown shoes (bleah) POLISH them!!! And.. have your suits fitted! Alterations can make all the difference in fit. 

As for the rings, it’s nice to see normal sized diamonds rather than the 5 carats and higher monstrosities you see other “celebrities” wearing these days. I can’t imagine being able to do anything with a rock the size of Mt. Vesuvius weighing me down...

4 hours ago, lascuba said:

Didn't Ben design Jessa's ring? God, everything about Ben's approach was so cheesy and contrived. He was courting A Girl, not an actual person he knew.

Hot Girl. 

But yeah...

No wonder Jessa often looks like she's a laundry room meltdown away from ending him.

55 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

I am just amazed at the guys in most of these wedding parties  who wear brown shoes with blue suits. It looks awful. If they insist on wearing brown shoes (bleah) POLISH them!!! And.. have your suits fitted! Alterations can make all the difference in fit. 

As for the rings, it’s nice to see normal sized diamonds rather than the 5 carats and higher monstrosities you see other “celebrities” wearing these days. I can’t imagine being able to do anything with a rock the size of Mt. Vesuvius weighing me down...

I won't lie, I'd like to try on a big ol' gumball machine looking ring. Just for funsies.

This is a fun thread - thanks for starting it!

I don't like to compliment the Duggar's but it's kind of nice to see affordable, pretty and financially appropriate rings (for such young people).  Regarding the trends of today's engagement rings, my friends and I have discussed, would you rather have a smaller, excellent quality diamond, or a huge, flawed, low-quality diamond?  I think many of today's younger ladies (I'm old) think bigger is better.  Another interesting trend is a ring that looks ginormous but upon closer inspection it's actually a bunch of tiny diamond chips pooled together to create the illusion of one giant rock.

Anna's wedding picture makes me sad.  I'm no Anna apologist but it's rather heartbreaking to see her there, likely filled with so much hope and excitement.  Her decisions since then are another story.  I also think since she was the first to marry, she's practically still under the umbrella of the Little House on the Prairie dress days.  Her dress almost could have been worse.  The decision to dress more mainstream and stylish to fool the general population into thinking they were halfway "normal", came later.  The other girls benefited from that.  

Jessa's dress is pretty but she makes me so stabby that I can't get on board with complimenting it.  I think she's smug and arrogant.  Her looks are already going down the toilet if it's any consolation, I suppose.  Pretty soon her face is going to match her disposition.

44 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

I don't like to compliment the Duggar's but it's kind of nice to see affordable, pretty and financially appropriate rings (for such young people).  Regarding the trends of today's engagement rings, my friends and I have discussed, would you rather have a smaller, excellent quality diamond, or a huge, flawed, low-quality diamond?  I think many of today's younger ladies (I'm old) think bigger is better.  Another interesting trend is a ring that looks ginormous but upon closer inspection it's actually a bunch of tiny diamond chips pooled together to create the illusion of one giant rock.

LOL, that's my engagement ring. But I got it in 2005 and I was married in 2006. 

I think my favorite ring is actually Katey's. I'm not fond of her dress or her hair - she would have looked better if her hair were up and there weren't short sleeves under the lace - either none or long would have been better. That said, Jed! did pick out a beautiful ring.

10 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Are there any colored stones in the fundie engagement world? My engagement ring was a purple sapphire. I love it when people go outside the box.

I can't think of any. I know Michael Bates' ring has some sort of blue stones in it, but the center stone is a diamond. 

1 hour ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Are there any colored stones in the fundie engagement world? My engagement ring was a purple sapphire. I love it when people go outside the box.

I think colored gems are so pretty. I’ve always wanted a yellow Diamond. 

No I can’t think of any fundy brides that have chose that. 

2 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Anna's wedding picture makes me sad.  I'm no Anna apologist but it's rather heartbreaking to see her there, likely filled with so much hope and excitement.  Her decisions since then are another story.  I also think since she was the first to marry, she's practically still under the umbrella of the Little House on the Prairie dress days.  Her dress almost could have been worse.  The decision to dress more mainstream and stylish to fool the general population into thinking they were halfway "normal", came later.  The other girls benefited from that.  

Yes, Anna wore her older sister’s dress to her wedding. Not only was it an older style it was hand-me down and wasn’t fitted to her that well. I can’t judge her on the dress. That hair on the other hand- I would’ve had someone help me with that. 

I wore my older sister's dress, but it was the 70's, and it fit me well.  Our wedding probably cost under one thousand, including venue, cake, rings, etc.  We're almost 50 years married.

I like Katey's ring, too.  Rose gold is so pretty.  Jed! probably had help picking it out.  I'm sorry, but his smug face bothers me.  I do hope that they'll be as happy as they can be, given their unfortunate circumstances.

8 hours ago, Teriacky said:

I am just amazed at the guys in most of these wedding parties  who wear brown shoes with blue suits.

It seems to be in style these days.  I remember noticing, before Covid and Zoom guests, both Bill Mahr and his first guest had blue suits and brown shoes on.  I've noticed it on quite a few other guys since then.

Just now, Lady Whistleup said:

Looking back at these pix I have no idea why Jessa was ever considered the "hot" Duggar J-slave. Jessa has a Hapsburg jaw. I think Joy, Jinger, and Jill are all prettier.

I agree. And also Jessa's attitude detracts from her looks as far as I'm concerned. 

14 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Joy and Austin's rings:

I like the channel-set diamonds (and really, I like side stones IF they don't take away from the center stone).

646940.jpg

I like these rings, but what the heck are they resting on in the photo? Vegetable peelings?

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Looking back at these pix I have no idea why Jessa was ever considered the "hot" Duggar J-slave. Jessa has a Hapsburg jaw. I think Joy, Jinger, and Jill are all prettier.

Jessa has big lips, and honestly, Jill, Jinger, and Joy all went through painfully awkward phases that extended well into adulthood. I never would have guessed that any of the three would turn out to look like they do now, especially Jinger. 

50 minutes ago, skatelady said:

I like these rings, but what the heck are they resting on in the photo? Vegetable peelings?

Lol, it looks like carrots and beets!

9 hours ago, skatelady said:

Tulip and rose petals I think. 

10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I think Jessa was pretty. She has large eyes that used to be expressive and her features are proportional to her face. Also her hair used to be shinny and carried off the wavy style well. 

Her personality is lacking but she’s still pretty- she just looks run down and depressed. It’s amazing how much more attractive people look when they are happy, healthy and emotionally fulfilled. 

14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think Jessa was pretty. She has large eyes that used to be expressive and her features are proportional to her face. Also her hair used to be shinny and carried off the wavy style well. 

Her personality is lacking but she’s still pretty- she just looks run down and depressed. It’s amazing how much more attractive people look when they are happy, healthy and emotionally fulfilled. 

I think she's pretty too and she has stayed slim after 3 children, which isn't easy for some (me!). I do agree that she's not that happy with her life. It's as if she thinks each baby will bring happiness to her life, but somehow it doesn't happen. I'd be going crazy in that tiny house with all those kids. 

18 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

That sounds gorgeous! And a great choice from a sturdiness perspective. Yes, I’m a certified GIA gemologist although I haven’t been in the jewelry business for quite a while. 

I also agree that a smaller, better quality center stone is far more beautiful than a large but cloudy (heavily included) or poorly cut (as that is the most important of the 4Cs IMO as that dictates the brilliance or lack thereof) or yellow (and it’s not meant to be a canary diamond). 

I absolutely love other colors of diamonds and think a true canary is stunning. 

13 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I am dead at Hapsburg jaw. Although she was much prettier before she starting pumping out baby after baby. And her abrasive attitude is a turn-off. 

I think Joy is just beautiful and I think Hannah will be, too. Jill has had a glow-up and I think that’s due in large part to her spreading her wings and getting some time and distance away from her FOO. 

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

YES! Exhibit A is Jill. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah, I've always found Jessa the most attractive out of all of them, current run-down appearance notwithstanding. And in context of the Duggars, I like her personality just fine. I find their belief system so abhorrent that I just can't like the ones with the sunny and/or complacent personalities that allow them to be happy/content being a fundie help meet and broodmare. Bring on the sourpuss bitches who don't fit the fundie mold, thank you.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Yeah, I've always found Jessa the most attractive out of all of them, current run-down appearance notwithstanding. And in context of the Duggars, I like her personality just fine. I find their belief system so abhorrent that I just can't like the ones with the sunny and/or complacent personalities that allow them to be happy/content being a fundie help meet and broodmare. Bring on the sourpuss bitches who don't fit the fundie mold, thank you.

I think Jessa likes her fundie lifestyle just fine. She is sour when confronting dissent. Drops a comment dripping with "bless your heart" bitchiness as she drops the banhammer so there's no pushback. She's a coward.

Edited by emmawoodhouse

In the early days, I always thought Jana was the prettiest followed by Jessa.  J

ill, Joy and Jinger were a toss up.

Now I still think Jessa is pretty but she's tired. And I don't mind her attitude - I just feel sorry for her because I don't think she expected this for her life necessarily. It must be hard to watch her other sisters stretch out a little into the world. Ben is a heavy anchor to JB and that's a shame.

I think Joy has really blossomed and is a more natural beauty. Jinger and Jill have also matured well into their looks. Maybe that's what a little distance and independence from JB looks like. 

Though of course Jana is still tied to JB. However, she's not married to someone she doesn't love nor is she popping out kids she wasn't ready for. So she still tops the list (if there was a list that is).

31 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think Jessa likes her fundie lifestyle just fine. She is sour when confronting dissent. Drops a comment dripping with "bless your heart" bitchiness as she drops the banhammer so there's no pushback. She's a coward.

I mean, she was always bitchy long before social media and responding to critics. She was never the one doing housework and caring for her buddies with a smile on her face like Jill. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. In their strict gender role household, the ones willing and happy to do that work are not the ones I'm going to like. That's why Jill was always the one I found most odious and why I never got the appeal of hardworking sad sack Jana. To hell with those that keep sweet, I say.

46 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I mean, she was always bitchy long before social media and responding to critics. She was never the one doing housework and caring for her buddies with a smile on her face like Jill. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. In their strict gender role household, the ones willing and happy to do that work are not the ones I'm going to like. That's why Jill was always the one I found most odious and why I never got the appeal of hardworking sad sack Jana. To hell with those that keep sweet, I say.

I would agree with that except that Jessa is the one who has clung most tightly to the TTH post-marriage.

Just being a bitch for the sake of being a bitch is not the same thing as not putting up with bs with a plastered-on smile.

48 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I would agree with that except that Jessa is the one who has clung most tightly to the TTH post-marriage.

Just being a bitch for the sake of being a bitch is not the same thing as not putting up with bs with a plastered-on smile.

If all the other sisters get passes because they were traumatized and "brainwashed," I don't see why that doesn't apply to Jessa post marriage...or more accurately, post first Josh scandal, was when it seems to me she started to really double down.

I saw Jessa as more of a bully. The only time I saw her push back and defy her parents was when she was impatient waiting to marry Ben. The rest of the time she just seemed to be a mean girl with her siblings and harshly judged anyone out of their circle.

I think Jessa is an insecure bully. Bullies deserve sympathy and empathy too - when they're children. My patience runs thin with adult bullies though.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, Kiki620 said:

Jessa's dress is pretty but she makes me so stabby that I can't get on board with complimenting it.  I think she's smug and arrogant.  Her looks are already going down the toilet if it's any consolation, I suppose.  Pretty soon her face is going to match her disposition.

My engagement ring is just a small (about 1/3 carat) solitaire. I love it. Mr Jyn also talked to a bunch of jewelers and got a quickie education in diamonds before buying it (our engagement was very spontaneous with no rings even thought about at the time). He found the most flawless (like me, as he told me at the time) stone he could afford. I don't know that he still thinks I'm that flawless, but I do love the sentiment!

8 hours ago, awaken said:

Wait, so jessa had that bright coral color with her blush pink gown?  That doesn’t go at all. 

Stylistically, they didn't go together at all, but the colors themselves were not all that bad to my eye...The coral might not have been exactly the color the blush would have been if the saturation level had been taken up to max, but fairly close. If those colors had been flowers adjacent to each other, it would have looked fine, and to my taste, any combination of colors which would not look amiss in a flowerbed is perfectly fine. But, of course, that is subjective, and mileages may vary considerably.

On 5/21/2021 at 4:58 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

Mine is an emerald and not a lab created one. My cousin's daughter has one too and a co-worker as well. 

Let's keep this thread focused on the weddings and take discussions of actions/personalities unrelated to the wedding to the other threads.

Thanks!

For a Fall/Winter wedding, I like to see long sleeves and even floor-length gowns.  Jinjer's were nice, except the color combo didn't look right to me.  All warm colors would have been perfect.  

I love coral, but definitely not those cheap-looking flimsy dresses that Jessa's attendants wore.  They must have been freezing in that sorry excuse for a reception in the parking lot, and ice cream on top of that?  Uh-uh.

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Were the dresses coral or salmon? And why the hot pink ribbons on the flower girls?

image.png.9da07aa97d3de8a5c71857cc615e1048.pngimage.png.d3d20f3c963511898f535f10c55ef052.png

The pink sashes were to match the pink bow ties on the men in the wedding party. Not that that makes sense to me as a color combination--coral and fuschia--but that did seem to be what they were going for. I hate those cheap flimsy bridesmaid dresses.

If you're only going to wear the dress once, why waste money on making it expensive? I would prefer to be in wedding with cheap bridesmaid dresses rather than having to splurge. I think Jessa's bridesmaids dresses are fine. They communicate this is the wedding party, which is the point of matching dresses. 

4 hours ago, Temperance said:

If you're only going to wear the dress once, why waste money on making it expensive? I would prefer to be in wedding with cheap bridesmaid dresses rather than having to splurge. I think Jessa's bridesmaids dresses are fine. They communicate this is the wedding party, which is the point of matching dresses. 

I think in this case though, Jessa said she purposely picked out dresses her bridesmaids could wear again. Trust me, I'm no fashion plate, but those dresses, IMO, are not only cheap, but they're ugly. The material looks like the same material many Halloween costumes are made of. Most of her bridesmaids were her sisters. What a gift she could have given them in picking out a nice "modern modest" dress that wouldn't fall apart after one wash.

4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think in this case though, Jessa said she purposely picked out dresses her bridesmaids could wear again. Trust me, I'm no fashion plate, but those dresses, IMO, are not only cheap, but they're ugly. The material looks like the same material many Halloween costumes are made of. Most of her bridesmaids were her sisters. What a gift she could have given them in picking out a nice "modern modest" dress that wouldn't fall apart after one wash.

Doesn't every bride delude herself thinking her bridesmaids' dresses can be worn again?  

On 5/19/2021 at 3:43 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

Actually I think Tori had one of the prettiest dresses of all. It's not a style I would choose for myself, but it looks fantastic on her.

3df07d140d4214e855c3acbfcaeb569b.jpg

I really like Tori's dress, except, I don't get why she went with two different tones. The top is white the bottom is nude, beige?  I feel it takes away a lot from the look. Even though she was a beautiful bride.

9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It’s Jessa - she didn’t really care as long as she could be the pretty pretty princess.

1 hour ago, HoneyBeach said:

I really like Tori's dress, except, I don't get why she went with two different tones. The top is white the bottom is nude, beige?  I feel it takes away a lot from the look. Even though she was a beautiful bride.

Kelly convinced her to go with beige because she thought white was too revealing or something stupid. 

(edited)

I don’t think Jessa or any of the Duggar girls really has any idea of what “good” clothing is. Jessa is so used to Old Navy and whatever she can find in a thrift store that it doesn’t surprise me that she chose dresses that look cheap. Can you look good for less money? Of course, with some smart shopping and a good eye. And god knows I’ve got a ton of Old Navy that I wear while working from home. But I would never mistake it for something suitable for a wedding. I suppose we should be glad the bridesmaids didn’t wear mustard cardigans.

Edited by MargeGunderson

Do we know if any of the brides and grooms gave gifts to their attendants? I remember a groom giving out socks, but if I'm remembering correctly, there was just a bunch of socks in the dressing room.

I consider almost all of the Duggar weddings formal. Around here, formal weddings, whether big or small, include a ceremony and a reception. The receptions always include food and music - and the bride and groom. 

As I have said before, these big Fundy weddings seem more of a ceremony followed by a meet and greet and speed dating, with really no celebration of the bride and groom. So is it a numbers thing? Bragging rights to how many guests showed up? It all seems a bit asinine to me.

I don't know, apparently it's very common in Fundieworld not to provide a full meal for your guests. That would be a cardinal sin where I live. Add in the "no music, no dancing" rule and it's just 800 bored people standing around. I do think it's more about bragging rights than about giving their guests a nice experience.