Type keyword(s) to search

Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, lascuba said:

She liked the height difference between her and Derick and didn't want to lesson it by wearing shoes, even flat ones apparently.

Yes, really. She actually said that.

The better to perfect her mom’s “gaze up adoringly at the headship” look?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Jill would need to lose a lot of brain cells to match Mullet's vapid look. 

40 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Jill has come a long way since then. I would love to see what she would wear for a vow renewal. 

Anna had an ugly wedding dress that was modest on purpose, but the dress wasn't stylish. 

They got a bridal salon to give Jill a dress (not one of the TLC bridal salons). The salon treated her well, but none of their gowns were modest enough for the Duggars. So she ended up with one they add alterations to and it messed up the top. 

Jessa's dress was a game changer. They found a "modest dress" that was pretty and didn't need alterations and looked good.  I love that dress! Technically it wasn't modest by the old Gothard standards (shows too much neck), but Gothard was creep and good for Jessa for wearing what she wants.

I think Kate Middleton started the whole hair down thing.

I think the Duggar brides, as well as most marrying in, are rocking Gothard-approved hair for their weddings.  Didn't he mandate that women have those long banana curls to "show off their countenance"?  And putting it up, even (or maybe especially) for their wedding, would be wrong.

1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Anna had an ugly wedding dress that was modest on purpose, but the dress wasn't stylish. 

They got a bridal salon to give Jill a dress (not one of the TLC bridal salons). The salon treated her well, but none of their gowns were modest enough for the Duggars. So she ended up with one they add alterations to and it messed up the top. 

Jessa's dress was a game changer. They found a "modest dress" that was pretty and didn't need alterations and looked good.  I love that dress! Technically it wasn't modest by the old Gothard standards (shows too much neck), but Gothard was creep and good for Jessa for wearing what she wants.

I think Kate Middleton started the whole hair down thing.

Nah, it existed all along. I think it was just overshadowed because veils tend to look better with hair up, IMO. (Just call me M'Lynn.) 

Anna got married before Kate Middleton did, and she wore her hair semi-down. Down and crunchy. 

10 minutes ago, Zella said:

Did Amy fall into a vat of spray tanner before her wedding?

It was Jinger's wedding gift to her. Crates of leftover cheap spray tan. Amy decided to use it all at once. 

Just now, Heathen said:

It was Jinger's wedding gift to her. Crates of leftover cheap spray tan. Amy decided to use it all at once. 

I gave Kendra crap about her spray tanner, but man, after seeing Amy, I almost feel the need to apologize to Kendra. I was looking for tanner smear marks on Amy's dress! 🤣🤣🤣

6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I gave Kendra crap about her spray tanner, but man, after seeing Amy, I almost feel the need to apologize to Kendra. I was looking for tanner smear marks on Amy's dress! 🤣🤣🤣

That's why Amy's sash was a different color. It was originally white. 

(edited)
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Please excuse me for posting pictures all the time, but it helps me put everyone's post in better context.

nw3b0t88s5r61.png?width=940&format=png&aimage.png.a375e6b08f74639606b4f25afc3e9f08.pngjohn-david-duggar-wife-abbie-burnett-wed

You also forgot Claire. But I like having the photos for reference. 

6 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Actually I think Tori had one of the prettiest dresses of all. It's not a style I would choose for myself, but it looks fantastic on her.

3df07d140d4214e855c3acbfcaeb569b.jpg

I liked Tori’s dress at the time but here it looks like she had a wedding dress on and then put a sheer full length lace coverup over it.

Edited by Tdoc72

I like Claire's dress. I actually think that "modest" wedding dresses get it right more often than not.

The reason is that white can be a very widening color. A lot of the more revealing wedding dresses make brides look wide in all the wrong places. The lacey bodices of all these modest dresses really give the brides a nice look.

The crimped permed hair is another matter, but in terms of dresses, I like most of these.

39998480-9321369-image-a-4_1614783919131

2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I liked Tori's dress, but she was such a sourpuss throughout the whole planning process, I found it hard to enjoy any aspect of her wedding. 

Tori is rather sour in general. She always seems to be complaining about something.

14 hours ago, Heathen said:

200.gif

14 hours ago, Zella said:

Kendra was too tan and her dress was too sparkly and poufy and top and bottom didn't really go together. 

But...that's Kendra's personality and she deserves some sparkle and pouf since she'll get none of that with mashed potatoes, hold the gravy Joe, so I give her a pass.

12 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I like Claire's dress. I actually think that "modest" wedding dresses get it right more often than not.

The reason is that white can be a very widening color. A lot of the more revealing wedding dresses make brides look wide in all the wrong places. The lacey bodices of all these modest dresses really give the brides a nice look.

The crimped permed hair is another matter, but in terms of dresses, I like most of these.

39998480-9321369-image-a-4_1614783919131

It's a nice dress, but dang if every time I see them together, I think aw, what a cute picture of mother and son. 

And not because Claire looks old but man, he looks about 12 here. 

1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

It's a nice dress, but dang if every time I see them together, I think aw, what a cute picture of mother and son. 

And not because Claire looks old but man, he looks about 12 here. 

To me, Claire always looks like a Teen Mom who had a kid crazy young (like 14 or 15) posing with her son. I thought they looked more evenly matched in the wedding pics, but when Claire has her glasses on, holy crap. They age her terribly.

1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

But...that's Kendra's personality and she deserves some sparkle and pouf since she'll get none of that with mashed potatoes, hold the gravy Joe, so I give her a pass.

*cannot stop laughing* 🤣

Some other "best" and "worst" for cake, bridal bouquet, and groom's attire.

Best Wedding Cake: JD and Abbie's

John+and+Abbie+wedding+3.JPG

I know Jinger and Jeremy's will likely be a fave but who wants a cake without any icing? I don't like it heaped on, but it needs something. And just screams "Pinterest" and "Hurry up and eat me before I completely dry out with no booze to wash me down!"

782b386b756bd7116f55a4563ac10c8d.jpg

Worst Wedding Cake: Josiah and Lauren's - it's a sheet cake, shaped like a heart. Blech!

5b3830a109e73_CountingOn.png.da56c794682

I'm not gonna mention Jessa's ice cream sundaes and I love ice cream.

But not in a parking lot and not as as substitution for cake.

jessa-duggar-2-600x450.jpg

Best Bridal Bouquet: Joy's

646941.jpg

I love how the orange tulips just POP.

Worst: Kendra's 

1540225488737.png

Was it a plant/basket snagged from someone's home? A wreath? All I know is it is fug.

Best Groom's Attire:

In all honesty, I would have picked Josh's tux (especially as I am beyond tired of the parade of various shades of "trendy" blue sportcoats with matching or not pants), but cannot on principle. So I'll go with Derrick. Although who did his boutonniere? It's practically touching his chin. 

duggar-wedding-300.jpg

Worst: Ben's

I hated that hipster get-up, including the pink bowtie that stuck out like Pepto-Bismal on him and his horde of groomsmen. 

1540481081369.jpeg

15 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I know Jinger and Jeremy's will likely be a fave but who wants a cake without any icing? I don't like it heaped on, but it needs something. And just screams "Pinterest" and "Hurry up and eat me before I completely dry out with no booze to wash me down!"

It's the naked! cake. The juvenile delinquent in me loved that there was not a fondant modesty panel in sight.

I think the couple on Jinger and Jeremy's cake is cute.  But the cake bride sure does not look Caucasian to me.  Is she supposed to be tan like Jinger?  

I'm African-American, and that's the cake bride I'd choose for me, so that really stood out to me.

42 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I like the naked cake.  I am not too fond of icing.  It's too sweet, so a lightly frosted cake appeals to me.  Jinger's cake has enough fruit and cream so it should not be too dry.

Oh I think it looks scrumptious. I just think it would look better without the giant warehouse club roses stuck into it. They are completely out of scale.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:42 PM, GeeGolly said:

More wedding cakes and Jessa's ice cream.

g7zxptn2mqz11.jpg

Whose cake was the one with the dark flowers? I like that one, JD and Abbie's and I like the naked cake. Sure it's trendy but I love berries on cake and it's not cheesy like heart shaped ones. 

Do the Duggars have bridal showers or engagement parties? I'm trying to remember. Imagine having to give gifts too all of these people! 

48 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

Whose cake was the one with the dark flowers? I like that one, JD and Abbie's and I like the naked cake. Sure it's trendy but I love berries on cake and it's not cheesy like heart shaped ones. 

Do the Duggars have bridal showers or engagement parties? I'm trying to remember. Imagine having to give gifts too all of these people! 

1540226204236.png

Kendra and Joe

Is that Josie barefoot in the background?

Even Jinger’s wedding cake bride was overly tan, but it still had a more natural look than she did.

4 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Some other "best" and "worst" for cake, bridal bouquet, and groom's attire.

Best Wedding Cake: JD and Abbie's

John+and+Abbie+wedding+3.JPG

Worst Wedding Cake: Josiah and Lauren's - it's a sheet cake, shaped like a heart. Blech!

5b3830a109e73_CountingOn.png.da56c794682

I'm not gonna mention Jessa's ice cream sundaes and I love ice cream.

But not in a parking lot and not as as substitution for cake.

jessa-duggar-2-600x450.jpg

Best Bridal Bouquet: Joy's

646941.jpg

I love how the orange tulips just POP.

Worst: Kendra's 

1540225488737.png

Was it a plant/basket snagged from someone's home? A wreath? All I know is it is fug.

Best Groom's Attire:

In all honesty, I would have picked Josh's tux (especially as I am beyond tired of the parade of various shades of "trendy" blue sportcoats with matching or not pants), but cannot on principle. So I'll go with Derrick. Although who did his boutonniere? It's practically touching his chin. 

duggar-wedding-300.jpg

Worst: Ben's

I hated that hipster get-up, including the pink bowtie that stuck out like Pepto-Bismal on him and his horde of groomsmen. 

1540481081369.jpeg

My vote went to Joy's bouquet, too.  

LOL Pepto-Bismol ties!  I didn't like the suspenders, either.  No jackets in November and a parking lot melted ice cream reception?  Just no.

5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

You’re so funny! I don’t like icing so I would’ve been all over Jinger & Jeremy’s cake but I admit it’s very trendy. Very!

4 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I think the couple on Jinger and Jeremy's cake is cute.  But the cake bride sure does not look Caucasian to me.  Is she supposed to be tan like Jinger?  

I'm African-American, and that's the cake bride I'd choose for me, so that really stood out to me.

(Bolding mine) just what I was about to say!

(edited)
11 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Good ol’ Missionary Joe!

Edited by Tdoc72

I hated Jessa's ring and the baseball diamond setting vs traditional. I sold so many of those when I used to be in retail. Especially when they wanted a matching band and they had to be custom-made. 

Jill's ring.

I love simple solitaires. 

jill-dillard-engagement-ring.jpg?w=750&h

I found this site so I know what I'll be doing much of the day today.

https://www.engagementringbible.com/63-carat-round-diamond-ring/

Joy and Austin's rings:

I like the channel-set diamonds (and really, I like side stones IF they don't take away from the center stone).

646940.jpg

I always thought Jessa's ring looked like Ben bought it in the sample setting. Most rings have a hardier setting to display (and secure) the gem.

If I'm remembering correctly Ben designed the wedding band with their initials.

Lauren and Josiah's rings, which I like.

9583c816e8e5a86a2bf726b7e7238b9b.jpg

2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I always thought Jessa's ring looked like Ben bought it in the sample setting. Most rings have a hardier setting to display (and secure) the gem.

If I'm remembering correctly Ben designed the wedding band with their initials.

And am I seeing things right and Justin picked out basically the same ring for Claire, except it has some pave diamonds on the sides?

I think I might have a favorite ring, worn by the newest Duggar bride, Katy.

The detail, the rose gold. Fabulous!

Nice job, Jed. Which is probably the only compliment you're ever gonna get from me. 

wkEUsb5UWgDaZbWBvyHv1txgldrFwKDgEMyH15yY

6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jessa's ring looks like it was made in a high school metal shop. I would've had the diamond reset into something less flimsy.

Here is another pic of her ring with the band as well as Ben's band. 

They still look like they were made in metal shop, just blinged out a bit.

060d65d91855c565746776ac11ac0121.jpg

I think with her back-to-back pregnancies, I'm guessing the swelling prevents much wear.

That and the sharp angles of that monstronsity.

I couldn't seem to find any pictures of Anna's ring but I do seem to recall it being a round solitaire and Josh harping on it being half a carat (as if Anna should be eternally grateful for getting such a big center stone vs what, a chip?)

Lauren's ring for the win.

I kinda like Austin's wedding band, it's different, but I'd have to see it in person to judge because maybe it looks bad in different lighting. 

On 5/19/2021 at 11:47 PM, BitterApple said:

I liked Tori's dress, but she was such a sourpuss throughout the whole planning process, I found it hard to enjoy any aspect of her wedding. 

On 5/19/2021 at 11:50 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Tori is rather sour in general. She always seems to be complaining about something.

Wonder how often she and Jessa have interacted over the years?   Might be an interesting dynamic to sit back and watch play out.