Type keyword(s) to search

Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

This thread is to discuss all things Duggar wedding related!  Compare the dresses, the flowers, the (almost non-existent) food!

Please don't use this thread as a springboard to conversation that is better suited for other threads- the focus here is on the weddings not the lives of the couples.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Duggar wedding (for the visuals, I haven't watched most of the ceremonies) is Jinger's wedding.  I absolutely love her dress.  

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etonline.com%2Fsites

My least favorite dress was Lauren, I think.

02a75c2a10d3203684ec241a0ab423f0.jpg

Actually, it was Anna.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim

(edited)

Best Overall

Jinger (so far in the lead, she couldn't be caught) 

Claire (lovely, appropriate) 

Lauren (she lost points overall for the hair) 

Worst Overall, In No Particular Order

Mullet (the infamous vow renewal with the awful, inappropriate bastardized Kleinfeld's dress) 

Joy (did she even brush her damn hair, and wasn't she barefoot?)

Anna (crunchy perm time and her sister's too-short dress. Sometimes I wonder if her parents didn't like her)

Jill (sloppy hair and ill-fitting dress, although I think she'd do much better now)

Amy (holy gross cleavage, but she gets points for doing it even when the zillion Duggar males would be there) 

Popular but I Don't Get It

Jessa's dress and overall look 

I don't really remember any of the food or decorations besides the Smuggar wedding (cold cuts and cheap cheese?). I haven't watched the shows since about 2013, so all my snark comes from here. 

Edited by Heathen
To remove a giant space at the bottom

Not too sure if Joy went barefoot,  but I'm pretty certain that Jill did. 

I did like Lauren's dress. The front was plain and looked like a t-shirt to me, but the back made up for it. The long veil covered it up though. And I thought it fit really well. 

(edited)
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Duggar Weddings: Betrothed, Betrayed or Beloved.

Maybe we toss brainwashed in the mix just to have truth in advertising? 

ETA  Buyer Beware as well?

Edited by Tikichick

I liked that Jessa's dress was blush colored, but any points she got for that were negated by her ridiculous melted ice cream in a parking lot reception. 😏

I thought Jinger's dress was lovely and I really liked how her bridesmaids wore all different colors. I did the same thing with my bridesmaids - my wedding used autumn colors, and each of my bridesmaids wore a different autumn leaf shade, so I'm biased to appreciate that choice, I suppose.

Something about Jill and Joy's looks seemed a bit unkempt and messy - hair just sort of hanging, dresses that were okay but maybe not super well fitting. Though seeing Anna's dress again makes Jill and Joy look like they stepped out of a bridal magazine. 😐

40 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I don't really remember any of the food or decorations besides the Smuggar wedding (cold cuts and cheap cheese?).

That's what remember too 😄 And JB eating as many sandwiches as he could get down his gullet.

5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Joy’s hair is terrible, and her dress is my least favorite of the Duggar daughters. Overall, though, I think Anna’s look was the worst.

You can definitely tell when the TLC series money, as opposed to the specials, started kicking in. But I really do wonder sometimes if Ofsmuggar's parents didn't care for her much. She got the worst groom, and she didn't even get a dress of her own. David's Bridal doesn't cost that much, FFS. 

Note to future Duggarling brides: Jinger is the only one who wore her hair up, and she's also the only one who didn't look sloppy AF. Remember this. It's not a sin to put your hair up on your wedding day. 

I'm very profane today. I apologize to any who are offended by my sinful language. 

Joy wore ugly brown gladiator sandals under her dress. Jill was barefoot.  Jinger was definitely the most put together.

Anna looks so young in that wedding photo.  And surprise, surprise, Josh looks like a douchebag.

I loved Jinger's dress but I didn't like it on her, if that makes sense. The first time I saw her in it, I though, "Oh, THAT is what 'the dress wore her' means." But still, she wins overall if only because she's the only one who actually styled her hair.

If Lauren had worn her hair up to show off the back, and the bodice had been better fitted, she would have been up there. IIRC, the original dress had 3/4 length sleeves and looked elegantly beautiful on the model.

Jessa's dress is still one of my favorites. The cut, the fit, the color, no franken-Duggar nonsense--loved it.

If Jill hadn't been the first one married, still going by the Gothard/Duggar narrow veiw of what a wedding dress should be, I think she would have worn something like this dress, only a one piece.

image.png.778b1ebcdf6a5f944cdd4c5b9453b14c.png

(edited)

What an awesome thread idea! I’m excited to have it.

I liked that Jessa at least did something slightly different with the color!

Poor Anna, wrinkled, ill fitting, and just makes her whole front look caved in. I wonder what she thinks when she looks at those photos now, knowing what was to come.

Edited by awaken
(edited)

Thanks for posting Kendra‘s photos – I have almost no memory of their wedding and what anyone wore except something about her having a teary scene with her dad before hand.  

also, I dislike the ruffles on Katey‘s skirt. It makes the whole look a bit sloppy. 

Edited by awaken
1 minute ago, lascuba said:

I don't love Kendra's dress on it's own but in the Duggar sphere, it ranks pretty high for me.

If I put it in the proper category for her age the ranking goes up -- prom wear. 

Katey's is the kind of dress that's not for me, but I might like on someone else with the personality and wedding theme to match. Since we know nothing of Katey's personality, it's a fail for me.

3 minutes ago, awaken said:

I like Michelle‘s dress for Joy’s wedding the best. The facial expression is hilarious!

I like it the best too. That tin man dress was God awful! 

I do remember that Joy tried on a dress that was perfect for her.  It was fairly simple with sheer 3/4 sleeves that had polka dots and the same sheer polka dot overlay on the skirt. No ruffles or lace.  It was just gorgeous on her, but she picked another one that ultimately needed some ridiculous "modesty" alterations.  

Did Michelle reuse Joy’s MOB dress for Justin’s wedding? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. JB needs to burn that awful gray suit, and get some decent dress shoes. 

6 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It was just gorgeous on her, but she picked another one that ultimately needed some ridiculous "modesty" alterations.  

Of course. If the dress hadn't obviously been altered, how would anyone know how "modest" and Godly she was?

No one has mentioned Abbie’s dress.  I think it got a fairly positive response at the time.  

23 minutes ago, SMama said:

Did Michelle reuse Joy’s MOB dress for Justin’s wedding? Not that there’s anything wrong with that. JB needs to burn that awful gray suit, and get some decent dress shoes. 

Well Justin’s wedding wasn’t filmed (I think). And money is tight these days with all the lawyer fees Jim Bob is paying. 😁

Kendra's dress is pretty too.  

Michelle's dress for Jill's wedding is the stuff of nightmares.  

Does anyone remember what wedding had the horrible music by a Bates' girl? I can't figure out how to explain it.  In fact, I feel like maybe it was two weddings (Jill and Jessa)? But it had a Bates girl playing piano who had no concept of less is more, and thought just because she had the technical skills to put a bunch of unnecessary musical frills into the song didn't mean it was a good idea.

Just now, deaja said:

Kendra's dress is pretty too.  

Michelle's dress for Jill's wedding is the stuff of nightmares.  

Does anyone remember what wedding had the horrible music by a Bates' girl? I can't figure out how to explain it.  In fact, I feel like maybe it was two weddings (Jill and Jessa)? But it had a Bates girl playing piano who had no concept of less is more, and thought just because she had the technical skills to put a bunch of unnecessary musical frills into the song didn't mean it was a good idea.

I thought the grand finale would be the piano bursting into flames.

Did Joy forego a bouquet, or was the picture a reenactment?  Also, Kendra is just adorable in that first photo.

I agree that Jinger's look was the most polished and sophisticated, but my favorite dress is Jessa's.  It's very feminine and simple. I love a cap sleeve.  And the blush color.

Was Anna's hem crooked? It looks wonky to me.  I think it's a hi-lo hem style, but it still looks off.

Are we keeping this strictly Duggars?  Or will we be able to bring in Sweet Friends?  

1 minute ago, CouchTater said:

Was Anna's hem crooked? It looks wonky to me.  I think it's a hi-lo hem style, but it still looks off.

It looks like they cut off most of the train and also her posture is horrible!

1 minute ago, RedDelicious said:

I thought the grand finale would be the piano bursting into flames.

That would have been an act of mercy to the piano.

@CouchTater I was wondering that too.  I think as long as we're talking about fundy weddings of people who are "known" for lack of a better word or connected to the Duggars, that would be fine. But if people want to only discuss Duggars, I get that too.

(edited)

-I liked Jessa's dress the most. I'd rather a decent modest dress than the Pnina styles and I thought that was was pretty close to mainstream modesty. Also I like blush dresses. 

-Jinger's look was over all the best. Somehow Jeremy dressed well, too. Michelle's dress was a nice color. All in all that wedding brought out the best dressed. 

-Kendra's dress was pretty bad for a wedding dress. As another posted said up thread it's more promwear than wedding.  However, Anna's dress was the worst imo, didn't fit, showed no personal style, zero effort was put into that dress.   Michelle's Kleinfeld dress was also bad. Kleinfeld can make nice modest dresses, that just wasn't one of them. I always thought it was shitty Meeechelle got a Kleinfeld dress and not one of the girls considering it was definitely comp'd for the 'crossover.' Or even Anna since Anna/Josh was the first Duggar wedding. 

-I hate vow renewals but I'd like Jill to have a chance to pick out a second wedding look because I don't like hers much but she could turn it around now and take the top best look. Her dress to Jeremy's graduation was nice. 

Edited by Gigi43
3 hours ago, deaja said:

My favorite Duggar wedding (for the visuals, I haven't watched most of the ceremonies) is Jinger's wedding.  I absolutely love her dress.  

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.etonline.com%2Fsites

My least favorite dress was Lauren, I think.

02a75c2a10d3203684ec241a0ab423f0.jpg

Actually, it was Anna.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim

Josh and Anna's photo is pretty appropriate for their marriage. Her dress is ill-fitted and a mess though she's trying to smile and Josh is smug and disinterested. 

Dress Ranking: Jinger, Jessa, Claire, Lauren (the back), Abbie, Kendra, Joy, Katie, Jill, Anna

Overall Ranking: they were all pretty bad lol but Jinger's had the most "design" style. Maybe Katie and Claire did too but we haven't really seen those.

Anna's was definitely the worst.

And I hate all the best man pranks. 

5 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Abbie looks very pretty in her dress, which seems to fit her. The bridesmaids need better bras. 

Oh, my, I didn't even notice at first that some of their "girls" are hanging at their waists!!!