Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

And Alyssa's  neon highlighter color scheme was very cringeworthy.

I totally forgot about Alyssa's Miami Vice colors! And those silly earrings she wore. 

I really liked Joy's colors - you don't see orange at weddings very often - but the look was ruined by her ill-fitting dress and ratty hair.

Overall I'd say my favorite dress was Jessa's, and my favorite cake was Jinger's. I'm so envious of Jinger's cake.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
13 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I prefer Whitney's first dress.

Her husband (Nathan?) is practically the same color as his suit for the renewal.  

Zach. I like her first dress better, too. The bolero was unnecessary for normal, non-fundie people, but the second dress is too close to Pnina for me. 

(edited)

I think Whitney's first dress was strapless and they added the bolero.  IIRC, this was very common look a few years back for more mainstream couples.  Usually the bolero was worn in the church and removed for the reception.  It still looked much nicer than any of the Frankendress modesty alterations.

I also recall many discussions about Abbie's bridesmaids' dresses and bras.  I think part of the problem was the cut of the dresses- the higher necklines along with the tight bodices tended to smush things downward. None of those bridesmaids were super busty, and they were all too young to have fallen victim to gravity.

Edited by 3 is enough
4 hours ago, deaja said:

That was when I still watched and I really think I remember they were from some cheap website and Jana had to fix most/all of them.  

That's what I remember, too. I specifically remember some snark that Jessa was given X amount for her entire wedding, reception, and honeymoon, and she and Ben opted for a very extravagant honeymoon instead of meeting halfway on all things. 

Just now, Heathen said:

That's what I remember, too. I specifically remember some snark that Jessa was given X amount for her entire wedding, reception, and honeymoon, and she and Ben opted for a very extravagant honeymoon instead of meeting halfway on all things. 

Which we know was partly bull because the honeymoon was filmed and probably did not cost them anything.  I just think Jessa was cheap.  She got a nice dress and to heck with everything else.

Awesome thread topic!

I would never have worn the dress Kendra wore, but it fit her personality, and I think that's important. And it still kinda fits her. She's still bubbly and bouncy.

Jessa's dress was gorgeous, and it matched with who she was then. But I don't think it reflects who she is now, less than ten years later.

Jinger was definitely the most sophisticated bride, and Jinger was always described as the "stylish" one. Loved the dress.

Joy should have gone with the polka dot dress. She was not then and still is not a girly girl, and I think if she had been allowed to be who is authentically is her wedding dress and wedding would have looked very different. It's unfortunate, as I think I'd have liked to see the wedding she would have chosen to have.

Jill's dress was unfortunate. She was the first of the sisters to get married, and I don't think the producers had a clue how popular the wedding episodes would be. The opportunities for a honeymoon and a wedding dress that her siblings had weren't available to her.  Her dress just doesn't fit with the person she has turned out to be.

Anna's dress was unfortunate. I have a friend who got married on the cheap 29 years ago, as they just didn't have the money to spend on a fancy wedding. The photographer was a friend from university who liked taking photos, the cake was done by her grandfather, her dress was made by her mother-in-law, she and we bridesmaids all did our own hair and makeup . The dress was lovely, but not as "finished" as a purchased wedding gown would have been.  Anna's dress reminds me of this wedding.

(edited)

The waist on Joy's dress was too high. But wasn't Gideon a honeymoon baby?  I seem to remember her showing early and there were a ton of rumors that they did not wait for the wedding.

Edited by 3 is enough
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Joy's dress made her look pregnant.

f76c3af7a1694172ef3a0644005ecd63.png

I feel sorry for her, seeing the difference between her facial expressions in dress #1 and dress #2. 

3 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The waist was too high. But wasn't Gideon a honeymoon baby?  I seem to remember her showing early and there were a ton of rumors that they did not wait for the wedding.

She was big even when they first announced. I think it's a combination of her build (busty + shorter = can look thick around the middle) and the fact that she had a huge baby. Jill showed early, too, if I remember. 

Edited by Heathen
(edited)
26 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Which we know was partly bull because the honeymoon was filmed and probably did not cost them anything.  I just think Jessa was cheap.  She got a nice dress and to heck with everything else.

Thinking about that wedding more, Jessa really didn't seem to care about it at all. She reused some of Jill's decorations, the bridesmaids' dresses were awful, the color scheme clashed with her dress. And I love that dress, but even then, it was like the third one she tried one and she didn't want to bother trying on anymore.

And of course, the parking lot reception. In November. Serving ice cream.

That girl really did want to elope, didn't she?

Edited by lascuba
7 hours ago, lascuba said:

Katey's is the kind of dress that's not for me, but I might like on someone else with the personality and wedding theme to match. Since we know nothing of Katey's personality, it's a fail for me.

That’s what I think about Kendra & her dress. I wouldn’t want it for myself but it fits her giggly girly personality. 

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kelly Bates - 3 (similar) dresses, 5 weddings.

tumblr_pdu2xqeLmZ1xcty8to1_1280.jpg

That strut from Alyssa’s wedding amuses me. 

4 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Thinking about that wedding more, Jessa really didn't seem to care about it at all. She reused some of Jill's decorations, the bridesmaids' dresses were awful, the color scheme clashed with her dress. And I love that dress, but even then, it was like the third one she tried one and she didn't want to bother trying on anymore.

That girl really did want to elope, didn't she?

Jessa wanted to be a beautiful bride - full stop. She couldn't have the bridesmaids showing her up and she wasn't staying for the 'reception'. She got a nice dress, a husband and a honeymoon. Everything she wanted.

3 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

The dresses Kelly and Erin wore for Michaela's wedding...ugh. A rich chocolate brown would have been so much more flattering than whatever those colors are.

Kelly was MOH at Michael's wedding. She really didn't have much choice in her dress. There was a secondary color that was even worse. 

39 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I also recall many discussions about Abbie's bridesmaids' dresses and bras.  I think part of the problem was the cut of the dresses- the higher necklines along with the tight bodices tended to smush things downward. None of those bridesmaids were super busty, and they were all too young to have fallen victim to gravity.

This is THE place to go for bras especially wedding fittings in Southern California:  https://www.wizardofbras.com/

They will order anything available, do alterations, and even custom make bras.  I guarantee you my daughters were perfectly fitted for their wedding gowns and all attendant dresses.  Those strapless dresses stayed perfectly in place with no twitching with the proper underpinnings.  

There is no reason for the sag, unfortunate looks, etc., the Duggars and other fundies present.   I'm sure they can find something better than worn out Walmart for weddings.  

1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

What would these weddings have looked like without the influence of Pinterest? 

Like the one where Anna married the King of Sly-am.

8 minutes ago, lascuba said:

And I love that dress, but even then, it was like the third one she tried one and she didn't want to bother trying on anymore.

That was the fakest fakety dress shopping event ever. That dress was already ordered and fitted to her. Ugh.

Jinger wins hands-down. And her hair gets her a million extra points for not being a Fundie scraggle-mess.

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa wanted to be a beautiful bride - full stop. She couldn't have the bridesmaids showing her up and she wasn't staying for the 'reception'. She got a nice dress, a husband and a honeymoon. Everything she wanted.

Someone who wants to be a beautiful bride also wants a beautiful wedding. They might chose crappy bridesmaids dresses (though is that really a thing? Because I've never encountered that, and no matter how nice a bridesmaid's dress, it's never going to show up a wedding down), but to put so little thought into every single detail just screams disinterested to me.

When Jill was shopping for her dress, she loved the whole experience and when she tried on the dress she was sure she wanted, she said she wanted to keep trying on dresses even though she was sure, because she wanted the full princess experience. In contrast, Jessa couldn't wait to get out of there after trying on a few.

1 minute ago, lascuba said:

Someone who wants to be a beautiful bride also wants a beautiful wedding. They might chose crappy bridesmaids dresses (though is that really a thing? Because I've never encountered that, and no matter how nice a bridesmaid's dress, it's never going to show up a wedding down), but to put so little thought into every single detail just screams disinterested to me.

When Jill was shopping for her dress, she loved the whole experience and when she tried on the dress she was sure she wanted, she said she wanted to keep trying on dresses even though she was sure, because she wanted the full princess experience. In contrast, Jessa couldn't wait to get out of there after trying on a few.

I remember that. I thought it was because Jessa knew what dress she wanted before she ever tried a dress on. That's so very Jessa.

2 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Well that's because Jessa never actually liked Ben, so why would she be excited marrying him?

Touche. She wanted to get out of the TTH. Ironic considering how she currently spends her time.

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The tee shirt sleeves are not flattering.

Not at all, though I kind of see why she went that route. With a loose bodice like she had, long sleeves would have made it look dowdier.

1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

Crazy how Boob has a full head of thick hair while all of his sons were balding by a similar age. They must get the hairline curse from the Ruark side.

Yes, I recall Garrett Ruark as being folically challenged. 😁

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Michelle and JimBob:

duggars.jpg

I think that was Grandma Duggar's wedding dress. The flowers look plastic. 

Jim Bob's suit jacket sleeves don't fit. 

The hair, or lack thereof, is no doubt something else for Jim Bob to lord over his kids. Putz. 

Edited by Heathen
8 hours ago, Heathen said:

Can we do a separate thread for non-Duggars? I think the Duggar snark will get lost with all the Bates snark and the other fundie snark. The Maxwells alone can fill a thread. 

I selfishly agree, because I don't follow the non-Duggars.

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Whitney Bates wedding dresses. From Nun to naughty. Wedding 2013, vow renewal 2018.

tumblr_inline_pf6jivOniM1vnhgkt_1280.png

61e6d2929939f978b800d294ca6cffb3.jpg

image.png

Although, with pics, I might reconsider. They had a vow renewal after being married only five years? WTF?

12 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I selfishly agree, because I don't follow the non-Duggars.

Although, with pics, I might reconsider. They had a vow renewal after being married only five years? WTF?

When she got married, she was on the outs with her bio parents. Kelly got ahold of Whitney and she reconciled with her parents before Bradley was born. Her bio parents attended Bradley's birth, and we haven't seen anything of her adoptive parents since. She had the renewal so her bio parents could attend a wedding. 

30 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

They had a vow renewal after being married only five years? WTF?

Yeah, Whitney jumped at the chance of a do-over on UP's dime. She claimed it was because her bio parents weren't at her first wedding, but I think she just wanted pictures of herself as a "hot bride" rather than "Fundie frump."

I think the best proposals were Austin/Joy, John/Abbie, and probably Jinger/Jeremy (although I didn't see that one). because I felt that they reflected who they were and their common interests. 

I liked the idea of Ben's proposal, but it didn't seem to be a good fit for Jessa (until they were at the church). 

I liked the setting of Jed/Katey's proposal, but I didn't like that it was a betrothal.

Jill/Derick's proposal was sweet, and who can forget "Totally!"

My least favorite proposal was actually Joe/Kendra because it was not very original at all (proposing at Joy/Austin's wedding). Josh/Anna was not great either, but as I understood it Josh had bigger plans which he had to scrap because of weather.

5 hours ago, beckie said:

Why the future Rodrigues girls? I know only Nurie has been married so far but that's quite snarkable, too.

I don’t know if you heard, but she married Anna Duggar’s brother! Her mom tried keeping that under wraps, so you might not have known.

4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That's ANNA DUGGAR'S BROTHER!!!! for those in the back row. 😁

Season 8 Episode 3 GIF by Friends

Best Weddings

Jinger and Kendra both had beautiful weddings. I loved Jinger's wedding dress, the different colored bridesmaids dresses and the colors picked, the flowers and liked the location. The only minus is that big V decoration. Kendra's dress isn't something that I'd pick but it fit her and her personalty, so did the dresses and flowers. Everything looked really beautiful. The minus would be the prank.

Wedding dresses

Duggars

After Jinger and Kendra, Lauren looked beautiful in her dress especially the back part, Jessa's blush colored dress was beautiful. Claire, Katey and Abbie I'm neutral on. I don't love them or hate them. They each looked very nice. Joy's second to last because it really was a mess. Too many different styles and it didn't look like it was finished. Third to last was Jill's dress was beautiful before it was altered. She should have just got one already modest. I hated Anna's the most. I'm find with borrowing dresses but it didn't fit her and she looked terrible especially her hair.

Bates-

Tori had the best dress. Its just one of my favorite styles. Whitney's vow renewal dress was really beautiful and very unfundie like, Carlin looked great in her dress and it fit her personality. Josie also looked great and it fit her personlity. Whitney's 1st wedding dress I like bolero jackets.

Least favorites Michael had the same problem as Jill if she had bought the dress already altered it would have looked better, same with Erin and Alyssa. I did like that Alyssa wore pink heels instead of white ones.

Bridesmaids dresses

Duggars

Jinger's different colored dresses were beautiful, so were Kendra's and looked great, then Lauren's dresses and Anna's. Least favorite Jessa's, Joy, Jill and Abbie. Jessa's was too short, wrong season and didn't look good. Jill's was too short and added the white part which made it look like their slips were showing, and Abbie's just didn't fit right. All three had picked nice colors though.

Bates

Tori's-I love the purple dresses and that they were different colors, I loved the different colors of Carlin's bridesmaids dresses,  Josie's dresses, I loved both sets of bridesmaids dresses from Whitney's weddings the black and red I had never seen before I really like the colors, the pink dresses are really beautiful, then its Michael's, Erin's and last Alyssa's. I'm impressed that Alyssa went with such bold colors. Eight year old me would have loved those colors.

Nuri's dress was beautiful and I liked the colors she picked.  

After Anna's ugly dress, which makes me kind of sad, Katey's ugly dress makes me dizzy and confused.

Its like she said to the dress maker, I want 3/4 length lace sleeves, but my shoulders can't show. I would like it fitted, but not too fitted. And I'd like some floof. 

So she ended up with a stiff armored bodice, with sewed on lacy doily sleeves and hips, with left over chiffon sewed over a skirt.

NINTCHDBPICT000646398304-2.jpg

7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She had the renewal so her bio parents could attend a wedding. 

But it wasn't a wedding, since they were already married.  

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

She would have looked fantastic in the original with her hair up. 

With her hair up, and even if she wanted to keep the panel underneath the lace for modesty (which I get), make it sleeveless, so that the back of the dress was highlighted in the photos. 

I think Lauren is one of the prettiest in laws who dresses for her shape, she wanted people to look at her backside in that dress (which I don’t blame her for) but then covering up the beautiful lace with that hair? I know certain hair textures don’t hold shape or curl well, but even if she had done a side braid like Claire eventually did, the back of the dress could’ve been the star. 

Speaking the hair at these Duggar weddings- I’ve never seen brides look like they are just headed to the mall with their hair. Jinger, Kendra, Abbie, Claire (even Jessa) all looked very beautiful in their hair choices, but the rest of the brides, if there was no veil I thought they would’ve just been heading out on a random Saturday!  I think Anna was the main offender here. I know her family didn’t have much money, but a friend couldn’t do her hair for free? I know how vain young women can be about their hair. What’s up with that choice? Anyone’s guess?

Like many of you, Best Hair award goes to Jinger, Kendra, Abbie and even Lauren (however not with that dress). And Anna tried.

Jill, Jessa, Katey and Joy's hair all looked scraggly - like end of the day hair, although Jessa's looked the best of the four. I totally get wanting to look like yourself on your wedding day, but for formal or semi-formal weddings you need to step it up a notch, or at least look like you bathed. Maybe for some, it was the elements that ruined their hairdos, but really, they should plan for that.

16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Like many of you, Best Hair award goes to Jinger, Kendra, Abbie and even Lauren (however not with that dress). And Anna tried.

Jill, Jessa, Katey and Joy's hair all looked scraggly - like end of the day hair, although Jessa's looked the best of the four. I totally get wanting to look like yourself on your wedding day, but for formal or semi-formal weddings you need to step it up a notch, or at least look like you bathed. Maybe for some, it was the elements that ruined their hairdos, but really, they should plan for that.

(Bolding mine) you made me spit out my water!!!

Joy truly looked MISERABLE in her wedding photos. Did she have allergies? I could see the runny nose etc making you look awful even though you were happy. Joy did seem to be into Austin so there had to be something external to make her look so sad. 

edited to add a photo of Joy