Type keyword(s) to search

Fundy Weddings: All of the Cringe, None of the Booze

• Start Topic

On 8/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, ozziemom said:

Travis is good looking and that is probably the only thing Katie is thinking about right now. I don’t think she realizes what living in New Jersey without her family around is really going to be like either.

Do you have a photo of Travis and Katie? They are not coming to my mind. 

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

705A6CE0-4464-43C6-A8E9-6AA943AEAC53.jpeg

15A91856-EFAF-4A17-85A7-65F13167FC2A.jpeg

Thanks @ginger90. Travis is a okay looking. "cute" in a typical young man way. He does have a baby face, which means he will likely keep his cuteness through the decades. Katie looks like Carlin to me, but I think the darker hair would be more flattering on her. 

Keeping it on topic, I could see them using those lanterns in their wedding decor, if they do black & white, or black and cream, the vintage lantern look could be quite nice as a center piece on the tables or lighting around the stage (I assume they are going to get married in a church).

2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Thanks @ginger90. Travis is a okay looking. "cute" in a typical young man way. He does have a baby face, which means he will likely keep his cuteness through the decades. Katie looks like Carlin to me, but I think the darker hair would be more flattering on her. 

Keeping it on topic, I could see them using those lanterns in their wedding decor, if they do black & white, or black and cream, the vintage lantern look could be quite nice as a center piece on the tables or lighting around the stage (I assume they are going to get married in a church).

I agree, he is just ok looking in a typical way. But I guess she needs to go for it now.

11 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

No, they are getting married at Castleton Farms where Carlin got married.

Thanks for the intel! Well lanterns would be very nice for that type of venue. I checked out the website, it is very pretty. I know the Bates have come up in the world since we first saw them on the Duggar specials, but you can have a nice wedding and not spend a gazillion dollars.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:10 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think she looked the best at Joy’s. 

I think her outfit and hair at Jinger's do were by far the most flattering. Her hair at Joy's wedding looks sloppy (much like Joy's did, come to think of it). 

If I didn't know that Jill's was the first Duggar girl wedding, and that the Duggars hadn't really honed their wedding skills, I would wonder why Mullet was punishing Jill by wearing that awful dress. 

I like her dress. It ought to be sufficiently modest for most fundies and has a bit of style to it. I haven't followed the Bates family very closely but IIRC the Bates brides have been better put together than most of the Duggar women were on their wedding days. I think both families have come a long way from whatever wedding that was when Jana sewed a crap ton of random fabric panels onto ugly dresses to add "modesty" for the bridesmaids. And, Jill's bare feet, Joy's messy hair.  . . and Meech's Tin Man dress (also worn by Ma Bates but hers looked less disastrous).

And, this is from me. Someone who isn't particularly interested in wedding details, but I noticed that much. 🤣

Esther's hair looked awful. A soft up-do would have looked much better. That bleach job does her no good. Her natural hair is much better looking on her. Why does she see the need to look like Whitney and the other Bates bleached blonde daughters? 

If Nathan's vest actually fit him properly, it would not have pulled. 

On 10/24/2021 at 6:37 AM, floridamom said:

Esther's hair looked awful. A soft up-do would have looked much better. That bleach job does her no good. Her natural hair is much better looking on her. Why does she see the need to look like Whitney and the other Bates bleached blonde daughters? 

If Nathan's vest actually fit him properly, it would not have pulled. 

Yeah, but Nathan would have flipped out over that. 

5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Her dress is really pretty - simple, classic, elegant. 

I agree the dress is really pretty (though her overdone makeup ages her a LOT unless she actually is 40?) but I'm not sure the dress is fitted properly. The neckline seems to gap at nearly every angle. I think perhaps the dress needs to be taken in above the collarbone to make it lie flat (feel free to correct me--people who sew). 

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I agree the dress is really pretty (though her overdone makeup ages her a LOT unless she actually is 40?) but I'm not sure the dress is fitted properly. The neckline seems to gap at nearly every angle. I think perhaps the dress needs to be taken in above the collarbone to make it lie flat (feel free to correct me--people who sew). 

The dress is lovely, but you are correct, the neckline should lie flat in the front and it doesn't.  A little tailoring would've taken care of that,

She is also wearing a ridiculous amount of foundation and it makes her look a lot older than she is.  A young woman her age shouldn't need more than a few drops to even out her skin tone, instead, she's covered her entire face in a thick layer which is very aging.  All the Bates' girls seem to do this.

13 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

She is also wearing a ridiculous amount of foundation and it makes her look a lot older than she is.  A young woman her age shouldn't need more than a few drops to even out her skin tone, instead, she's covered her entire face in a thick layer which is very aging.  All the Bates' girls seem to do this.

46 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I did feel like the makeup, foundation especially, was overdone and made her look a bit like the big sister of her groom. Less really is more.

Her makeup is what happens when you learn how apply makeup from social media.  The makeup influencers on YouTube, Instagram and Tik-Tok all wear waaaay too much makeup in their videos and pictures.  The techniques they use are heavily borrowed from the drag community and emulating the Kardashians without any understanding.  I find this very amusing that the Bates girls all sport this type of "Natural Glam" face without knowing its history.  There is really no need for a cisgender woman to wear that much contouring in person. 

Katie is probably wearing a layer of cream contouring, concealer used as highlighter, regular concealer to hide any imperfections, foundation, cream blush, translucent powder to set everything, another layer of powder bronzer or contour, powder blush, and either a liquid or powder highlighter to finish.  The makeup artist also may have used a finishing powder to soften the edges.  All of this has to be followed up with a setting spray possibly two.  

39 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Her makeup is what happens when you learn how apply makeup from social media.  The makeup influencers on YouTube, Instagram and Tik-Tok all wear waaaay too much makeup in their videos and pictures.  The techniques they use are heavily borrowed from the drag community and emulating the Kardashians without any understanding.  I find this very amusing that the Bates girls all sport this type of "Natural Glam" face without knowing its history.  There is really no need for a cisgender woman to wear that much contouring in person. 

Katie is probably wearing a layer of cream contouring, concealer used as highlighter, regular concealer to hide any imperfections, foundation, cream blush, translucent powder to set everything, another layer of powder bronzer or contour, powder blush, and either a liquid or powder highlighter to finish.  The makeup artist also may have used a finishing powder to soften the edges.  All of this has to be followed up with a setting spray possibly two.  

I don't even think I wore foundation when I got married. Some tinted primer/moisturizer and some setting powder. I also didn't succumb to the trend then and now for all the lashes. The right mascara/technique will really make the most of what you have (for most folks). 

I wanted to look like the most beautiful version of myself on that day, but the key there was "myself." Meaning I won't look at these pictures thirty years from now and think, who the hell is this?

2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I find it pretty funny that the Bates women are (maybe unbeknownst to them) emulating the Kartrashians. 🤣

1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I don't even think I wore foundation when I got married. Some tinted primer/moisturizer and some setting powder. I also didn't succumb to the trend then and now for all the lashes. The right mascara/technique will really make the most of what you have (for most folks). 

I wanted to look like the most beautiful version of myself on that day, but the key there was "myself." Meaning I won't look at these pictures thirty years from now and think, who the hell is this?

I'm in my 60's and still don't wear foundation most of the time.  It sits in the creases and wrinkles and emphasizes them, IMO.  I wear a little tinted moisturizer and it looks far better and less mask-y.  The Bates girls, and others of their generation, seem to want a very plastic, artificial appearance which is the opposite of what I find attractive.

2 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I'm in my 60's and still don't wear foundation most of the time.  It sits in the creases and wrinkles and emphasizes them, IMO.  I wear a little tinted moisturizer and it looks far better and less mask-y.  The Bates girls, and others of their generation, seem to want a very plastic, artificial appearance which is the opposite of what I find attractive.

I’m in my 50s and do the same. I’ve actually been wearing almost none since the start of the pandemic. The only most-have for me is moisturizer with sunscreen. On the few occasions when I’ve worn more makeup, it feels heavy and I can’t wait to start wiping it off as soon as I get home!

20 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I’m in my 50s and do the same. I’ve actually been wearing almost none since the start of the pandemic. The only most-have for me is moisturizer with sunscreen. On the few occasions when I’ve worn more makeup, it feels heavy and I can’t wait to start wiping it off as soon as I get home!

In my mid-40s but same. 

Sunscreen is still a must and the best thing we can do to keep our skin looking young and fresh.

I have the same feeling about makeup now feeling like it's sitting on my face and eye makeup, especially, even without mascara, has my eyes itching after a few hours.

34 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I find it pretty funny that the Bates women are (maybe unbeknownst to them) emulating the Kartrashians. 🤣

It really is unbeknownst to them.  Makeup is one of my hobbies, and I have spent the last 15 years in the online beauty community.  I can go on and on about the way beauty has evolved online since 2006, but this is not the place.  What I do know is that the Kardashians are the nexus point for the vast majority of beauty influencers.  When Kim really hit the scene, her face was so different from the rest of the starlets that people took notice.  The look has been tweaked over the years since beauty is a business and new products have to be developed and sold, but it's still the Kardashians that propelled this.  Then YouTube and Instagram became popular and influencers had to create their own versions of the KKW face.  Again, this is a business so the look has to be constantly tweaked in order to drive up follower counts and views.  Then the Bates girls are old enough to get into makeup and they begin to do their own research.  All of the tutorials on YouTube are going to be for this face.  It really is everywhere for better or worse.

There are a couple of cosmetic companies who have wholeheartedly rejected this makeup philosophy like Glossier, but those are online only.  A real natural look is only found in Instagram ads for people like Katie.  

6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It really is unbeknownst to them.  Makeup is one of my hobbies, and I have spent the last 15 years in the online beauty community.  I can go on and on about the way beauty has evolved online since 2006, but this is not the place.  What I do know is that the Kardashians are the nexus point for the vast majority of beauty influencers.  When Kim really hit the scene, her face was so different from the rest of the starlets that people took notice.  The look has been tweaked over the years since beauty is a business and new products have to be developed and sold, but it's still the Kardashians that propelled this.  Then YouTube and Instagram became popular and influencers had to create their own versions of the KKW face.  Again, this is a business so the look has to be constantly tweaked in order to drive up follower counts and views.  Then the Bates girls are old enough to get into makeup and they begin to do their own research.  All of the tutorials on YouTube are going to be for this face.  It really is everywhere for better or worse.

There are a couple of cosmetic companies who have wholeheartedly rejected this makeup philosophy like Glossier, but those are online only.  A real natural look is only found in Instagram ads for people like Katie.  

Lol. The only makeup products I’ve bought in the last 2 years are Glossier products. 

I took at look at Katie’s reel. I agree about the dress, the bodice needed to be fitted a little better.

I didn’t find the makeup to be as bad as some people did, but yes Katie does have a mature face (and Travis has a baby face). She could easily have been taken for a bride in her late 30s/early 40s. If she is lucky she will not change looks for twenty years (think of Angie Harmon from Law & Order who’s looked the same the last 25yrs). 

I think her skin probably has an uneven TEXTURE and that’s why she wears so much foundation. Also doing your makeup for the stage/drag is very different than for a wedding/evening event which is very different for every day. Katie also has a small face, there’s not as much surface area to work with regarding face makeup. I also have a small face, so I get this (I don’t like much face makeup anyway), but I do have a standard eye (as in you can see my eyelid fully across with my eyes open) so I can do elaborate eye looks and eyelashes and it not look too over done.

You have to work with the face you have! Of course anyone can do what they want with their own face, it’s just makeup, it washes off. 

On 12/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

On 12/6/2021 at 2:45 PM, Cinnabon said:

Lol. The only makeup products I’ve bought in the last 2 years are Glossier products. 

Thanks for the tip about Glossier! I've heard of it, but that's all. I usually do Korean or Japanese skincare (no, I don't do ten steps), but I'm always interested in new skincare and some makeup. I've worn very little since the pandemic started, except for eyebrow powder because I have almost none, and I'd like to do a little bit more with my eyes since they can be seen above my mask. 

Topic: I do like Katie's dress (it's beautiful), but makeup is a different story. She looks so much like her sister Erin, who also overdoes it. 

Isn't Katie one of the daughters that joined her sister's wedding hair and makeup business after cosmetology school?   I think I have that correct.   Seems like she should have had flawless hair and makeup as a bride.   I believe she was seen on their show getting familiar with airbrushing because that's what they use in the business.

2 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Isn't Katie one of the daughters that joined her sister's wedding hair and makeup business after cosmetology school?   I think I have that correct.   Seems like she should have had flawless hair and makeup as a bride.   I believe she was seen on their show getting familiar with airbrushing because that's what they use in the business.

I don't think she's part of Josie's wedding make-up and hair accessories businesses, other than modeling the accessories. But like you said, she's a recent cosmetology graduate.

Just now, GeeGolly said:

I don't think she's part of Josie's wedding make-up and hair accessories businesses, other than modeling the accessories. But like you said, she's a recent cosmetology graduate.

Couldn't remember Josie's name but I swear they showed Katie joining Josie and her partner to meet a customer for a consult and Katie was doing the trial run makeup while getting used to the airbrush.   

Katie was hired on as a stylist, but I don't think she ever really worked in the business. Cosmetology was a stop-gap to give her something to do before she started courting. Once Travis entered the picture, she was just treading water until he proposed. I never got the sense she was passionate about it the way Josie is. 

She was shown airbrushing makeup on someone who came in for a makeup trial before her wedding.  Josie's partner was helping her. She was listed as an employee of Josie's business but I am not sure in what capacity. 

On 12/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Her makeup is what happens when you learn how apply makeup from social media.  The makeup influencers on YouTube, Instagram and Tik-Tok all wear waaaay too much makeup in their videos and pictures. 

Agreed - wish Katie had gone with a CC cream or tinted moisturizer instead. I've never liked the look of full-coverage foundation.

Erin posted a recent makeup tutorial. This is still a lot more product than I would use on a daily basis, but it's a bit more natural than Carlin or Katie. 

Topic: despite the fit issues, Katie has worn my favorite wedding dress so far. It's just so classic and timeless. I'm super curious what Tiffypics will choose.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush