Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: A Virus, Heartbreak and a World of Possibilities

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon is caught in a moral dilemma when offered a bootleg copy of a computer game he can’t afford. Also, Mary and Meemaw take Brenda out for a girls' night.

Airdate: 22 April 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

I thought George's "it's great you're trying to look nice for Brenda" quip to Mary was passive-aggressive and I was surprised she didn't pick up on it in the moment. But then when she was so sad later that evening, I thought she did pick up on it and felt so resigned that she didn't call him out on it.

In the early 90s even people who had computers still kept paper copies of important documents. Sheldon said his parents' tax documents were on his hard drive, but were electronic tax records even available then?

Poor Billy. I wish Missy had invited him and some other friends along to the movies; it would have been much better for him than sitting around being pitied by a bunch of old (from his perspective) men.

Georgie is the best big brother ever!

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

George doesn't think Mary can be fun? He should remember her when she was younger.

Poor Billy. I don't remember how his father treated him, but I thought he was enjoying having men treat him like a human being. Then Sheldon came in with his computer problem and spoiled it.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Poor Billy. I don't remember how his father treated him, but I thought he was enjoying having men treat him like a human being. Then Sheldon came in with his computer problem and spoiled it.

After showing George see Billy get his heart ripped out, I expect George and Mary to be one of those couples from that era who “stay together for the kids,” despite all the anvils raining down on the girls’ night out.

• Love 15

I call bullshit on Sheldon not having hard copies of most (if not all) of his files, especially the taxes.  We saw last week he had those at least.  I printed out everything back when home computers were a new thing.

@chocolatine, no way in hell would Missy invite anyone on her secret date!  She didn’t even want Georgie there!  I missed whet she told Mary, though, about where she was going that night.  And her expression after the kiss was perfection.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

In the early 90s even people who had computers still kept paper copies of important documents. Sheldon said his parents' tax documents were on his hard drive, but were electronic tax records even available then?

Plus, they were just audited, so he obviously had all the paper stuff at that meeting.

this show is getting depressing.  

And I expected Georgie to know better. When someone says I love you, you don't say samesies, you say ditto.

• LOL 9
  • Love 10

I liked that Sheldon’s older narrator recognized and regretted accidentally making Billy feel bad. But in fairness I know what it’s like to freak out when you lose everything to a computer virus. And to have your whole life upended by another virus—real subtle, show.

Mary was rocking those cowboy boots!

Loved everything with Georgie and Missy.

• Love 14

Ready to geek out? Info on Tandy computer from 1990: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2011/08/tandy-1000sx-best-overall-choice-for.html

I don't remember if Sheldon's parents bought it or he finagled it from the college. If the former, I doubt his parents could afford what would be needed for half the stuff he does on it. From what I gather, no harddrive or math co-processor! Oh well.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

Poor Billy.  
i guess his little sister has been written out, or did Herschel take her?

It seems that she just inexplicably disappeared.  I doubt Herschel took her, as wouldn't Brenda have mentioned that her kid was gone too.  Strange to just drop her from the show after making a big splash in the episode when she was bullying Sheldon.   I felt so sorry for Billy, too.   

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Driad said:

I don't remember how his father treated him, but I thought he was enjoying having men treat him like a human being.

Billy said "this is fun" when he was at the poker table.  I was hoping that they'd play a round of Go Fish so as to include him!  At least they were including him in the conversation.  I think that's really all that Billy wanted - someone to talk to him.  

1 hour ago, nora1992 said:

i guess his little sister has been written out, or did Herschel take her?

I think the general consensus is that they wrote her out.  I barely remember her now.  Ah, the magic of TV.  She was sent to the Island of Misfit Toys!  

• Love 6

The whole idea of a "Girl's Night Out" was to cheer up Brenda.  Instead, Mary ended up being the center of attention (again).  I know Mary tries, but she's obviously where Sheldon gets his selfishness.  He definitely takes after his Momma.

This was the first time I liked Billy.  He's always been that dumb kid who's played for laughs.  This episode, I really felt bad for him, and now I'm worried about what's going to happen to him.  I like how the guys included him in the poker game; I'd like to see more of that.  I think George could be a big help to him, too, if he kind of takes him under his wing.

This is one of those rare shows where I don't dislike any of the characters (even the recurring ones like the principal and the teachers).

• Love 15

Billy made my heart hurt. The kid doesn’t have many advantages, and not even his chicken friends now.

I remember George telling the guys that he wasn’t happy, but has he ever tried to talk to Mary? His unhappiness seems to be on a deeper level than she doesn’t try to look nice for him (which is a pile of crap anyway. I also think she should’ve clued in before now. The RV trip to San Antonio was fraught with anvils.

And maybe Connie will be nicer to George. He’s been a steady husband and good father. It’s long past time she forgives them for an unexpected pregnancy.

• Love 11

“How do I get my files back?”

”...you don’t.”

That physically hurts.  I don’t even have a PC any more but just the memories of the last virus, when I lost many many vacation pictures, sends a shudder down my spine.

• Love 2

Have we seen Georgie and Billy interact? Georgie has a good heart and the potential to be a success in business. When Billy grows up and needs a job, maybe Georgie will be there for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I remember George telling the guys that he wasn’t happy, but has he ever tried to talk to Mary?

He's a typical man who won't talk about his feelings.   At least that's been my experience with different male family members.   They don't want to appear "weak."   Mary spends so much time fretting about Sheldon that he might not want to bother her with his issues.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Missy's joy at being kissed on the cheek was absolute perfection. 

It was. I'm a big fan of Beauty and the Beast, so I would love to know which scene was playing when he kissed her. I'm guessing the dance in the ballroom. 

I loved Georgie's willingness to go behind thier mother's back and help Missy do something Mary would not approve of. I also loved that in the same breath he was in protective older brother mode. I wondered what Georgie would be like when Missy started dating, and now I have my answer. 

I'm surprised Sheldon didn't have multiple back-ups, or paper copies of important documents. 

Overall, it was a great episode, but I think Georgie and Missy were my favorite part. 

It may not be much, but I'm glad that Missy gives a head nod to Billy in the hallway. I was worried would Missy end up having friends who were pint sized Heathers/Mean Girls types who would tease and be mean to Billy. It's great that she gives him some positive attention when she sees him, even if it's only a head nod. 

I don't know if Georgie would do it on is own, but if Mary or George asked him to spend some time with Billy, he probably would. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I filed my taxes from 1992 on, so I can say, they were not. And to my recollection scanners weren't common either. Now he could be referring to the calculations he made, but we didn't file taxes electronically until the late 90s early 00s.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

“I’m sorry. Who’s Tam?”

(ETA: Sorry, I was quoting the tech support guy David. He made me laugh.)

Tam rocking out to MTV was the only funny part of this episode. I was happy the tech guy didn't talk down to Sheldon. Billy is so sweet, to see him crushed like that was truly heartbreaking.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

By now, shouldn't Sheldon be tying up the family's phone line by being logged on to Prodigy all the time? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I filed my taxes from 1992 on, so I can say, they were not. And to my recollection scanners weren't common either. Now he could be referring to the calculations he made, but we didn't file taxes electronically until the late 90s early 00s.

I worked for H & R Block in 1997, and we were supposed to encourage everyone to e-file then. If I remember right,  you were able to e-file through Block as early as 1994 for the '93 tax year.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

By now, shouldn't Sheldon be tying up the family's phone line by being logged on to Prodigy all the time? 

Sheldon was able to convince the university to install and probably pay for another phone line so he could use the internet. My guess is that Mary let him keep that, but insisted that going forward, he did not ask for special favors/perks from the university. 

• Love 4

Poor Billy. He doesent even have his chickens now. I am glad that adult narrator Sheldon at least realized what he said to Billy and how much it hurt him, even if his kid self didnt. 

The only people having a good day were Georgie and Missy, every other plot was really sad. Missy was glowing when she got pissed, it was so sweet, and I really liked having a George and Missy plot. Well, and Tam. Tam got to watch MTV, when at his hour he's stuck with just stupid TV. 

It seems like there could be some problems coming up for Mary and George, they both seem rather unhappy. They need to have some fun times together. 

"She held hands and shared a straw" might have been the line of the night. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

Sheldon is still a kid even if he is a genius one.   This may be why BBT Sheldon keeps multiple backups of all his important information because he once got a virus and lost everything.  

And yeah Missy’s reaction to getting kissed on the cheek was perfection.

Brenda talking about how her marriage falling apart and Mary interpreting it as her own marriage is how these kind of scenes work on tv.   It’s a compare and contrast kind of thing.   Considering Mary is the lead It was only a matter of time before the conversation swung back to her and her marriage to George which is dangerously close to falling apart as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

I think all of the kids do a great job on this show.  The young man that plays Billy conveyed a lot of emotion in his scenes without actually saying much.  That look of sadness in his eyes broke my heart!  I sure hope he wasn't drawing from personal experience in those scenes.  

• Love 9

On a lighter note,  Sheldon's comment about having to listen to Rock & Roll (Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree) while on hold was funny.  I wonder what he does when Georgie plays some real Rock & Roll (thinking of the poster of Axl Rose in his room!) 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

On a lighter note,  Sheldon's comment about having to listen to Rock & Roll (Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree) while on hold was funny.  I wonder what he does when Georgie plays some real Rock & Roll (thinking of the poster of Axl Rose in his room!) 

I'm not sure what the exact layout of the house, but maybe Sheldon can't hear it unless Georgie has it incredibly loud. 

20 hours ago, Driad said:

George doesn't think Mary can be fun? He should remember her when she was younger.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Right? Isn't that how they got Georgie?

Mary renounced fun when she accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and savior and repented of her past wanton behavior. 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I'm not sure what the exact layout of the house, but maybe Sheldon can't hear it unless Georgie has it incredibly loud. 

Georgie seems to wear headphones. 

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Mary renounced fun when she accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and savior and repented of her past wanton behavior. 😉

Christians have fun. It’s not usually having drinks at a bar, but we do have fun. 

• Love 8
On 4/23/2021 at 12:07 AM, chocolatine said:

I thought George's "it's great you're trying to look nice for Brenda" quip to Mary was passive-aggressive and I was surprised she didn't pick up on it in the moment. But then when she was so sad later that evening, I thought she did pick up on it and felt so resigned that she didn't call him out on it.

Am I missing something? I don’t think their marriage is so bad. Mary could grow a sense of humor. But their days seem pleasant enough. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
12 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Am I missing something? I don’t think their marriage is so bad. Mary could grow a sense of humor. But their days seem pleasant enough. 

They keep showing George to be a little more gloomy, and he did say that he's not happy.   On the surface he and Mary seem to have the normal little issues that crop up in a marriage, but for George, I think it goes deeper than that.  They could use some professional counseling before the little things turn into big things and spiral out of control.  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

They keep showing George to be a little more gloomy, and he did say that he's not happy.   On the surface he and Mary seem to have the normal little issues that crop up in a marriage, but for George, I think it goes deeper than that.  They could use some professional counseling before the little things turn into big things and spiral out of control.  

Thank you. In your opinion, what do you think George is unhappy about? That Mary prioritizes Sheldon and the church over George? I must say, he is still pretty amicable, despite being dissatisfied.

19 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Thank you. In your opinion, what do you think George is unhappy about? That Mary prioritizes Sheldon and the church over George? I must say, he is still pretty amicable, despite being dissatisfied.

I think part of it is high school football coach isn't exactly his dream job. He was offered a college coaching job but he didn't take it because the family didn't want to move. It's not just about his marriage. There was the episode where, if it was set in the present day, he may well have decided to see a doctor for depression, but in early-90s small-town TX, that's not something he's likely to do or even admit to.

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Of course, this is just my opinion -

The back story of George and Mary is (according to MeeMaw) that Mary was not religious until there were problems with the birth of Missy.  There was some medical problem and Mary promised that if Missy was healthy, she (Mary) would become devoted to God and religious.  So when George married Mary, she was not the person she is today.  Maybe the change in her attitude has caused problems in the marriage.  Certainly, George does not seem to be into the church near as much as Mary is.  

Also, I really do like MeeMaw in general.  But she is constantly on George with snide comments about him, his physique, attitude, habits, etc.  Maybe he has gotten tired of her putdowns all the time.  

And I do think as mentioned above, George might be tired of Mary prioritizing Sheldon over him (and frankly over the other two children also).  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Thank you. In your opinion, what do you think George is unhappy about?

I agree what ams1001 and freeser said.  The first time I noticed him unhappy was when he turned down the college job. Mary was wrong in not at least considering it.  She shut him down pretty quickly on it.  She tends to do that with other small things too.  Maybe he's just getting tired of not feeling like he doesn't have much of a say in things.   Like many people, he probably feels stuck in his career with very few options available to him.  I found most of this episode to be depressing.  I hope it doesn't continue on that way.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think part of it is high school football coach isn't exactly his dream job. He was offered a college coaching job but he didn't take it because the family didn't want to move. It's not just about his marriage. 

Also, in the pilot, I think,  we found out that the high school coaching job was all George could get after being a whistleblower at his old school (about a cheating, scandal if I recall), and they had to move back to Mary's hometown. 

I was surprised George didn't call out Sheldon on his reprehensible behavior. He usually good with reprimanding him when he's acting horribly. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I'm not the only one, am I, who - when Connie asked Brenda if Herschel had left for another woman - yelled, "ABISHOLA!!" at the tv, right?

It would have been kind of hilarious if they said he moved to Detroit to his family, but hey...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 4

I am waiting to see Brenda in a scene with Dale's former wife. I used to love the "Reba" series. I've read that Melissa Peterman and Reba are very close friends in real life. 

It was nice to see the continuity with the teacher and principal from the high school. I hope that we see the librarian again; she was a hoot. 

Poor Billy. His father leaves...and apparently his sister has disappeared. 

• Love 5