Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: An Old Dog, New Tricks, and a Ticket to Ride

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Accordion versions of "I'm Too Sexy" and "Come On Eileen". Well. Now I've heard everything :p.

...oh, Becky :(. Her reaction after Emilio and his cousin left with Beverly Rose was heartbreaking. I like the idea of her going back to school-there's got to be a way for her to balance that and still be able to spend some much needed time with her daughter, so I really hope she can figure things out with that. And I hope someone will be able to help her with her drinking, too. 

Bad move on Jackie's part to try and stir up issues with Darlene and Molly again, but I'm glad they were able to talk it out and had some fun together. I'm all for them being good friends :). Ben is right that going back to living with Dan isn't really feasible for their relationship long-term, so I'm all for them working towards the goal of living together on their own. 

And yay for Dan and Ben coming to a resolution on the business. I just hope that decision won't backfire somehow down the line. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Accordion versions of "I'm Too Sexy" and "Come On Eileen". Well. Now I've heard everything :p.

That was awesome! I loved Darlene and Molly making amends - and we got a flashback scene from the original show!! 😊

• Love 15
1 minute ago, TomGirl said:

I think Lecy Goransen has emerged as the MVP of this show.  She’s great with both comedy and drama.  For that matter, she was consistently good in the original series.

I was watching a marathon of old Roseanne's this weekend (don't judge) and saw the one when Becky first took a drink - and got drunk.  She was 14.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I was watching a marathon of old Roseanne's this weekend (don't judge) and saw the one when Becky first took a drink - and got drunk.  She was 14.

Hah!  I watch the Saturday Roseanne marathon every weekend, so no judging here.  Two of my favorite Becky episodes are the birth control episode (of course) and the one where she’s feuding with Roseanne and refuses to talk to her.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought Molly was raised by a single dad? Is Mrs. Tildon his second wife?

She and her sister (played by Mara Hobel of Mommie Dearest fame) were raised by a single dad. I guess he remarried at some point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Insert weekly mask stupidity grumble here.

Great, Dan is still fucking delusional about what he deserves at the hardware store.  But at least he decided to get over himself to let Ben move back in, and at least Ben realizes that's not healthy.  His me or your family ultimatum to Darlene is inappropriate, but he's right that if they're ever going to live together again, it needs to be in their own place.  (So, hey, how about live separately until that's no longer the best thing for everyone, and then co-habitate; you don't have to share a home to share a life.)  Ben giving Dan 10% was far more than Dan deserves, but maybe it will work out.

The accordion version of one-hit wonders was fun.

I've been excited ever since I read that Molly was returning and she and Darlene would discover they rather liked each other based on some adult similarities; it would be pretty pathetic if they were still pissy about stupid teenage stuff like David and the Daisy Chainsaw concert debacle.  (Just like how it's pathetic Jackie acted like a tween stirring up non-existent drama.)

And, indeed, it was cool to see her again, and I love them talking honestly with each other.  But now I'm sure I know what the next episode's description is referencing, and that's a bit of a bummer.

It would have been far more interesting if Becky being able to stop after one glass of wine but knowing she can't continue to do that had been the storyline, but TV just loves relapse drama, so once you put "Rehab" in a title I know we're going down the usual path; I just didn't think it would happen this early.  Oh, well, it's certainly not unrealistic, and the laundromat scene was very well acted.

Thank goodness she wants to go back to school.  No, higher education is not the magical solution the "American Dream" myth peddles, but Becky is suited to it, always wanted it, and kept letting go of it based on circumstances.  It's a hell of a lot harder to do now, but good for her trying.  Even "just" an Associates degree, hell even just some business classes, could help her make The Lunchbox more successful.

Becky's reactions to her baby being more drawn to the caretaker than to her were perfectly played; that's something working moms are made to feel like shit about all the time (yet, somehow, dads aren't held to the same standard).

• Love 15

My heart broke for Becky when Beverly Rose called Emilio's cousin "mama." Kids that age quickly get attached to whoever is taking care of them, and she would have gotten re-attached to Becky pretty quickly, but of course it's so hard to see her cry and want to go back to Emilio's cousin in the moment.

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought Molly was raised by a single dad? Is Mrs. Tildon his second wife?

1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

She and her sister (played by Mara Hobel of Mommie Dearest fame) were raised by a single dad. I guess he remarried at some point.

Yes, Molly and Charlotte were raised by a single dad; IIRC their mother had died. I also seem to remember that they moved away after one season, so it doesn't make sense for Molly to come back to Lanford to visit her family. I don't mind that so much though since Molly is the only friend Darlene has ever had.

• Love 8

Was Emilio's cousin actually the real life mother of the little girl that played Beverly Rose? Because the child crying real tears when she was taken out of her arms, crying for her mama and settled quietly when she was back in her arms.

• Love 21
32 minutes ago, LadyNebula said:

Where did the dog come from?  Because I don't remember ever seeing it before. I also missed some dialogue, so maybe it was explained.  I'm confused.

Despite being utter failures at their rare, sporadic attempts at pet ownership (other than, apparently, still having the chickens, which was an oddly satisfying bit of continuity), Dan decided to be a foster to senior dogs; Louise's creepy vet brother pays people to provide home care to such animals, and Dan took one in.  Odds are, we'll never see the pooch again.

• Love 6

That dog was adorable. I agree the family's history doesn't bode well for them taking care of pets long term, but I wouldn't mind seeing the dog again at some point if possible :D. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

Was Emilio's cousin actually the real life mother of the little girl that played Beverly Rose? Because the child crying real tears when she was taken out of her arms, crying for her mama and settled quietly when she was back in her arms.

I wondered the same thing.  If not, that baby is one heck of an actress!

• Love 14
13 hours ago, nilyank said:

Brilliant! That would explain how they shot that scene. I was trying to figure it out.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Becky's reactions to her baby being more drawn to the caretaker than to her were perfectly played; that's something working moms are made to feel like shit about all the time (yet, somehow, dads aren't held to the same standard).

My granddad quit a job as a travelling salesman because of this.  He came home one day and my dad was all shy around him and he was upset and my grandmother was like, "I mean he doens't really know you..."  Granddad quit his job because he wanted my dad to be excited when he got home at night.   So apparently there are some men who feel guilt about that but it is a good point.  (And Grandpa moved onto a job as a pharmasuitcal rep and got addicted to the product he was selling so.... not entirely a win/win)

• Love 2
(edited)

For some strange reason, I actually forgot the show was on at first last night--I NEVER do that--and so I had to catch up with the first few minutes today prior to the opening credits on Hulu. From what I saw last night, you would have never known there was even a dog in this episode without seeing the title or description first.

It was great to see Molly again--Danielle Harris looks as young as ever; didn't she play a teenager for YEARS in the Halloween movie franchise despite her age because of that?--and I LOVED the flashback; one of my favorite scenes is when DJ spied on Molly changing and Darlene called him out on it (ending with her classic line, "I KNEW she stuffed")--but yeah, they were gone by the beginning of season 6, and they most certainly DID NOT have their mother at home with them in the original show, and yet Mrs. Tilden very clearly referred to herself as Molly's mom, not step-mom, in one of these episodes. Yet another continuity snarl, ugh.

It was nice to see some joy in that bar scene on this show for once. Naturally, it couldn't last. But I'll save that for the next episode.

Also: No mention of Charlotte? The fuck?

Finally, Lecy continues to prove how good she can be when she's actually given the chance to do so, and how very UNDERrated she was in the old days. She deserves all the accolades she gets these days. 

And yes, I have to believe that woman was the baby's real life mother. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 9

Wasn't the woman talking with Becky in the laundromat the same actress who plays the chain-smoking, hacking-up-a-lung church secretary on Young Sheldon? Also, what happened to the dog after the first scene?

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Wow, that dog plot didn't go anywhere, did it?

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

That baby was a heck of an actor.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Wow, that dog plot didn't go anywhere, did it?

Might have been an attempt to soften Dan up a bit because he's been kind of a dick at times and a pandemic nod to all the dog adoption that's gone on. Either way a dog is an easy win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

It would have been far more interesting if Becky being able to stop after one glass of wine but knowing she can't continue to do that had been the storyline, but TV just loves relapse drama, so once you put "Rehab" in a title I know we're going down the usual path; I just didn't think it would happen this early.  Oh, well, it's certainly not unrealistic, and the laundromat scene was very well acted.

I was happy that Becky went back to school, but that scene with Beverly Rose, my heart broke. I don't like that the writers are going there, but relapse happens when times get hard, and Lecy handled those so well. As has been said, she is carrying that show.

• Love 3
(edited)

show:  Conners have a dog  

me:  great, another mouth they can't afford to feed

___

show:  we meet Molly's mom

me:  Molly had a single dad

______

Spoiler

me:  I'm glad they gave darlene a friend to play with -I'm getting tired watching the connors living room of misery

show:  kills Molly

ETA  - wasn't sure about my last observation added spoilers.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

You didn't like Einen Biergarten? 

It's supposed to be Ein Biergarten.  Kind of like when Wienerschnitzel hot dog fast-food restaurant finally wised up and dropped the "Der."

• Love 1
On 4/8/2021 at 12:42 AM, Bastet said:

Insert weekly mask stupidity grumble here.

Great, Dan is still fucking delusional about what he deserves at the hardware store.  But at least he decided to get over himself to let Ben move back in, and at least Ben realizes that's not healthy.  His me or your family ultimatum to Darlene is inappropriate, but he's right that if they're ever going to live together again, it needs to be in their own place.  (So, hey, how about live separately until that's no longer the best thing for everyone, and then co-habitate; you don't have to share a home to share a life.)  Ben giving Dan 10% was far more than Dan deserves, but maybe it will work out.

The accordion version of one-hit wonders was fun.

I've been excited ever since I read that Molly was returning and she and Darlene would discover they rather liked each other based on some adult similarities; it would be pretty pathetic if they were still pissy about stupid teenage stuff like David and the Daisy Chainsaw concert debacle.  (Just like how it's pathetic Jackie acted like a tween stirring up non-existent drama.)

And, indeed, it was cool to see her again, and I love them talking honestly with each other.  But now I'm sure I know what the next episode's description is referencing, and that's a bit of a bummer.

Thank goodness she wants to go back to school.  No, higher education is not the magical solution the "American Dream" myth peddles, but Becky is suited to it, always wanted it, and kept letting go of it based on circumstances.  It's a hell of a lot harder to do now, but good for her trying.  Even "just" an Associates degree, hell even just some business classes, could help her make The Lunchbox more successful.

Delusional is the perfect word for Dan. He did really well but it hasn't been enough time to ask for a partnership. And he's definitely out of line the way he's demanding it. 

And I totally agree that Ben should not want to be living in Darlene's childhood bedroom. I don't like the ultimatum but I do like him stating his intentions: let's get ourselves together in the next 6 months. Sadly, I think he gave Dan the partnership because he wants to move on with Darlene. And I also agree that you don't need to live together to do that. 

I was disappointed in Jackie. I didn't see any flirting so she was just being extra. 

Becky continues to be my favorite. I just knew she was going to stop at that glass of wine. I know on TV, most people do AA and swear off everything but there are lots of people who have issues with hard liquor but can still drink an occasional glass of wine, beer, or champagne, and be fine. I was hoping Becky wouldn't start drinking again. I really want to see her win. The actress is really killing it on this show. I also wonder if Becky couldn't attend an online degree program and actually enroll in a program and get financial aid (some combination of grants and maybe even a small loan). I feel like the show tries to capture the characters' issues the same way it did in the 90s. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution but I attended and now teach in a public university system that includes community colleges. I'm not saying online community college will fix all Becky's problems but this show seems to be all or nothing: she can't attend class until she saves enough money. If Darlene can't have a print magazine about, she can't write at all. No freelance, no editing, nothing. It bugs me because I think the show can do better at portraying  the family's struggles in a modern way. Sigh.

22 hours ago, nokat said:

I was happy that Becky went back to school, but that scene with Beverly Rose, my heart broke. I don't like that the writers are going there, but relapse happens when times get hard, and Lecy handled those so well. As has been said, she is carrying that show.

Becky/Lecy is great. 

• Love 7

This show is barely pretending that Covid exists at this point.  Where in Illinois are that many people allowed in such a tight space, with no masks?

Spoiler

They should have just had Molly die of Covid at this point... it would have been no less realistic.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

The show writers could have Becky take classes through a union program at the factory.  Some unions offer free online college to get 2 year degrees. It would be nice to have one person win at something.  Darlene got promoted but she still seems absolutely miserable.  DJ might be happy but we wouldn’t know since we never see him.  Jackie just seems unstable most of the time and Dan is sad and delusional in most of his scenes.

I understand that the family has consistently made bad decisions for over 40 years and I can understand why they might not have as much hope as portrayed on the original Roseanne show, but this isn’t this show supposed to be a sitcom?  Can’t we get some hijinks with Dan and the dog or have Darlene actually like her job. I mean even the 5 mins of happiness with Molly had to be crushed suddenly.  I don’t like overly saccharine comedies, but we have Jackie basically just flat out lying about Molly, Ben scolding Darlene for wanting to take a gift when just a few weeks ago he was using up all the savings for a podcast, Becky relapsing, it’s all so depressing.

I know it’s probably my dislike of Sara Gilbert’s acting or the character direction, but even her good time dancing was awkward at best.  It’s like she was being held captive and forced to pretend she was having fun.  I’m not sure if that was the point and this major breakthrough will continue for episodes, but the character seems pained to be there. I’m not sure if it’s because the show is centered around her and it’s just too much for me or it’s the writing just isn’t there.  I don’t know anything personally about Sara Gilbert to make dislike her and the only thing I’ve seen her in was Roseanne and this show, but I really want to FF her scenes.  As far as far as I know in real life she’s a good person (I honestly know nothing about her), so I’m not sure if I hate her acting or just the character.  

As far as the past events (I.e. Molly’s mom, no mention of Charlotte, etc.) not lining up would they need to pay Roseanne any kind of money for continually referencing storylines from the old show or is it really just the writers probably never bothered to watch the original and don’t care about continuity?  

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

The show writers could have Becky take classes through a union program at the factory.  Some unions offer free online college to get 2 year degrees. It would be nice to have one person win at something.  Darlene got promoted but she still seems absolutely miserable.  DJ might be happy but we wouldn’t know since we never see him.  Jackie just seems unstable most of the time and Dan is sad and delusional in most of his scenes.

I understand that the family has consistently made bad decisions for over 40 years and I can understand why they might not have as much hope as portrayed on the original Roseanne show, but this isn’t this show supposed to be a sitcom?  Can’t we get some hijinks with Dan and the dog or have Darlene actually like her job. I mean even the 5 mins of happiness with Molly had to be crushed suddenly.  I don’t like overly saccharine comedies, but we have Jackie basically just flat out lying about Molly, Ben scolding Darlene for wanting to take a gift when just a few weeks ago he was using up all the savings for a podcast, Becky relapsing, it’s all so depressing.

I know it’s probably my dislike of Sara Gilbert’s acting or the character direction, but even her good time dancing was awkward at best.  It’s like she was being held captive and forced to pretend she was having fun.  I’m not sure if that was the point and this major breakthrough will continue for episodes, but the character seems pained to be there. I’m not sure if it’s because the show is centered around her and it’s just too much for me or it’s the writing just isn’t there.  I don’t know anything personally about Sara Gilbert to make dislike her and the only thing I’ve seen her in was Roseanne and this show, but I really want to FF her scenes.  As far as far as I know in real life she’s a good person (I honestly know nothing about her), so I’m not sure if I hate her acting or just the character.  

As far as the past events (I.e. Molly’s mom, no mention of Charlotte, etc.) not lining up would they need to pay Roseanne any kind of money for continually referencing storylines from the old show or is it really just the writers probably never bothered to watch the original and don’t care about continuity?  

I agree that Darlene acted kind of stilted while getting her groove on with Molly at the biergarten.  As for your question in second paragraph, I don't know the answer, but why even dig Molly up at all just for confusion about the history, and then killing her off so fast?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I know it’s probably my dislike of Sara Gilbert’s acting or the character direction, but even her good time dancing was awkward at best.  It’s like she was being held captive and forced to pretend she was having fun.  I’m not sure if that was the point and this major breakthrough will continue for episodes, but the character seems pained to be there.

That's how Darlene has always looked when forced into a dancing situation.  She's happiest alone or at home with her small group, but she can have fun in a more social situation, she'll just appear awkward at times, especially during things like dancing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Did I mishear this or did Dan say he was getting $100 a week to foster the dog? That's so stupid I feel like I must have heard it wrong. You don't get anything when you foster except maybe some kibble or the random pet supply, but even that isn't a sure thing.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Did I mishear this or did Dan say he was getting $100 a week to foster the dog? That's so stupid I feel like I must have heard it wrong. You don't get anything when you foster except maybe some kibble or the random pet supply, but even that isn't a sure thing.

Dan did say that the vet paid $100/week to foster.  The Conners are the last people I'd let foster anythjng.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Dan did say that the vet paid $100/week to foster.  The Conners are the last people I'd let foster anythjng.

No organization anywhere will pay random strangers $100/week to foster a dog.  Good thing, because it would just be a draw for opportunists who don't actually care about the dogs.  Um... hi, Conners.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, bobalina said:

Huh.  I wonder if the vet, based on his relationship with Jackie, or his sister's relationship with Dan, was trying to slip them a favor.  I hadn't thought about that possibility.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Beverly Rose was a toddler in a few scenes, then an infant when Jackie was holding her wrapped in a blanket.

That was a doll (or bundle of cloth) when  Beverly Rose was wrapped up. Babies and toddlers can only work very short periods of time.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

There are different foster programs within varying shelters and rescue groups, but no one pays anyone a flat rate to foster a pet.  The advantage to taking in a foster is largely the veterinarian bills are paid by the foster program, as well as food and some supplies, depending.  People who foster pets do it for the love of animals and to give them a stable, nurturing home, out of the goodness of their hearts.  This is another hinky storyline.  No way is Neville going to pay someone $400 a month to keep a dog at their house.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bobalina said:

That was a doll (or bundle of cloth) when  Beverly Rose was wrapped up. Babies and toddlers can only work very short periods of time.

No, I agree. I just thought they should have used a bigger doll or wrapped it in more layers, so that it would not have looked like an infant.

• Love 5

I thought it was a pretty big doll/dummy.  A hilariously obvious one, and probably not big enough, but not the size of an infant.  But I may have been distracted by laughing at the total Hey, we have limited access to begin with, plus COVID, and we gave you an actual kid for the important Beverly Rose scene, just go with this, okay? scenario.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 4/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I noticed how dark the lighting is in the first scene with the foster dog we'll never see again.  This show just is not uplifting in any way.

They showed Dan bringing the dog in from a bathroom break and putting it in a bed in a box.

• Useful 1
On 4/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

show:  Conners have a dog  

me:  great, another mouth they can't afford to feed

Dan was getting $100 per week to foster him, which sounds like as much as you would probably get in Lanford for fostering a child.

On 4/9/2021 at 9:48 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

And I totally agree that Ben should not want to be living in Darlene's childhood bedroom.

It's strange that Darlene keeps calling it that when it was DJ's bedroom but, point taken.  Does Mark come with her, or stay behind with Mary?

On 4/9/2021 at 9:48 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

Sadly, I think he gave Dan the partnership because he wants to move on with Darlene. And I also agree that you don't need to live together to do that. 

Also, he shouldn't actually give Dan the partnership; when Dan dies (presumably without a will) his portion will be split three ways between Becky, Darlene and DJ.  There should be a legal agreement that the shares of the business revert to Ben upon Dan's death.

• Love 2